What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What was the more impressive feat of GOAT slaying - Safin or Krajicek?

Sham Kay
12-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Richard Krajicek defeated Sampras in straight sets at Wimbledon 1996 (Quarter Final) on his way to the crown.

Marat Safin defeated Federer in five sets at Australian Open 2005 (Semi Final) on his way to the crown.

Both Sampras and Federer were arguably at the peak of their powers. Krajicek was not really considered as one of the favourites as he hadn't gone past the 4th round previously, while Safin was one of the favourites. Krajicek won without too much trouble while Safin showed great resolve, saving a match point. Krajicek went on to defeat Malavai Washington in the Final, Safin defeated Hewitt.

Which victory and subsequent tournament victory was the most impressive?

Las7
12-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Well the 2005 Semi I believe Federer had some sort of injury.

Johnny Groove
12-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Krajicek was just a wizard after that first rain delay. Sampras didn't play badly at all, and it was his only loss at Wimbledon during an 8 year stretch. Straight sets, too.

The Safin match was epic and legendary. Not only was it a huge upset over a Federer that was deemed invincible at the time, but the drama and quality of the ball striking were of the utmost.

I choose the Safin upset. Also cause he had to beat Hewitt in the finals in front of a home crowd while Krajicek only had to beat Malivai Washington in the final. Krajicek did get to see a streaker that day though.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2008/03/08/1111115/742799-streaker-at-wimbledon.jpg

SetSampras
12-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Well the 2005 Semi I believe Federer had some sort of injury.

Pete's coach died in 96

SetSampras
12-08-2011, 04:26 PM
What this GOAT slaying crap? ROFL... One damn match is a slaying? Slaying is what Nadal has done to Rog. Not what Safin did to Rog or Krajciek did to Pete in one slam match.

Anyone can catch fire for a day or have a good two weeks. Hell, even your watch is right twice a day

merryploughbhoy
12-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Krajicek winning 3-0 at wimbledon against a prime sampras. Safin was lucky to come up against an off form federer. In my opinion safin was lucky to win the slams he did, a real vulture.

Certinfy
12-08-2011, 05:22 PM
As good as Safin vs Federer was it's one of the most overrated matches I've ever seen people talk about on this forum, and that's coming from a guy who dislikes Federer.

Dougie
12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Sampras is without a doubt the most dominant grass court player ever, so beating him in his absoulte prime in straight sets at Wimbledon is pretty damn impressive.
The level of play in Fed-Safin might have been spectacular, but since that is not the question here, my vote goes to Krajicek.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
12-08-2011, 06:13 PM
sampras never had a chance against krajicek

federer blew match point

nuff said

Fumus
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Safin beat the GOAT at his GOATiest....probably the best match I've ever seen. Marat is a rock star.

samanosuke
12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Krajicek victory over Sampras was probably greater but Safin's title was more deserved . Safin in the final played against Hewitt and Krajicek after win over Sampras got extremely lucky with draw . Even bigger luck than Washington in finals was Stoltenberg in semis who beat Ivansevic round before . Goran was really bad match up for Richard

GSMnadal
12-08-2011, 06:27 PM
My man Richard destroying grassGOAT in straights :worship:

doesn't make Safins slaying of RF any less impressive though

Hensafmurrafter
12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
What this GOAT slaying crap? ROFL... One damn match is a slaying? Slaying is what Nadal has done to Rog. Not what Safin did to Rog or Krajciek did to Pete in one slam match.

Anyone can catch fire for a day or have a good two weeks. Hell, even your watch is right twice a day

My watch is correct all day long. Sounds like you need a new watch, sir.

EddieNero
12-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Safin-Federer was the best grand slam match in the Open Era.

tripwires
12-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Defeating Sampras in straight sets on grass > beating Fed in 5 sets on a slowish hard court.

m9m9m9m9m9
12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Krajicek defeated Sampras in straight is definitely more of a shocker

Egreen
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Safin.

Sham Kay
12-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm saying Krajicek just because of how surprised (and disappointed as a glory hunting kid fan) I was. One of the shocks of that era, especially considering the ease of the victory, plus at Wimbledon of all places. Though Safin was also impressive, has to be said.

Krajicek had something like a 4-2 H2H advantage over Sampras, so it wasn't a fluke.

Added a poll.

Shinoj
12-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Krajicek always had an upper hand over Sampras. In their previous meetings over 96 he had a hold over Sampras. While it was an upset at the end of the day it was not unexpected.

While Federer always had an upper hand over Safin before that and Safin was seen as an Underdog and add to that Federer's God Mode those days it really was a Classic in true sense.

Mind you Federer's form during 2004-05-06 was a notch above Sampras's form ever. That adds to it

SetSampras
12-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm saying Krajicek just because of how surprised (and disappointed as a glory hunting kid fan) I was. One of the shocks of that era, especially considering the ease of the victory, plus at Wimbledon of all places. Though Safin was also impressive, has to be said.

Krajicek had something like a 4-2 H2H advantage over Sampras, so it wasn't a fluke.

Added a poll.

A 5-4 h2h actually:) Though I have read 6-4 other places. Not sure of the validity of either

It wasn't THAT surprising IMO. If you watched and saw how Krajicek played throughout the whole tournament. He was on fire. It reminded me of Muster at the 95 French Open or 2001 Goran Wimbledon run. Rich could have been a big time force had he not been injured many of the times.
Kraijcek at that level could beat anyone any time.

That said.. Guys can catch fire and win by playing a flawless few weeks of tennis

Haelfix
12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Krajicek was something like 6-2 against Pete all the way up until the end (when he was injured and lost 2 in a row) and beat Pete consistently during his prime.

It was just one of those matches that was less about how good the players were, and more about matchup issues. Pete always hated playing mirrors of himself, and just could never get any sort of rhythm going. I felt that Pete played a pretty horrible match by his standards in that semi.

Imo the Safin matches were much more impressive. Not only the AO Federer match, but the fact that he blitzed Pete off the court at the USO as well. Those two matches were less about matchup issues, and more just bonafide incredible tennis performances. They were rather unique in Marat's career, as he seemed to be completely zoning, and not throwing random temper tantrums.

Johnny Groove
12-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Sampras was never considered as invincible in his #1 days as Federer was in his. Sampras had already lost 6 times in '96 before Wimbledon, and guys like Karol Kucera, 107 rank, took Sampras to a 4th set tiebreaker 2 rounds before. Fed, meanwhile, was cruising and hardly losing games, let alone sets before Safin "turned the tennis world upside down" as the Eurosport commentator put it after match point.

In terms of shock and surprise, it has to be Safin over Fed. When it comes to ease of GOAT slaying, gotta give it to Krajicek.

SetSampras
12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Safin and Krajicek were both dang tough at their peaks when they played their top level of tennis.. No shame in losing to either of these guys when they were at their best... of course, their best was few and far between.

I get a little more strange when Pete was losing to someone like Kucera or with Fed losing to a Fish or Canas etc. Marat and Rich? These guys can beat anyone on their day. Rich PROBABLY could have took more slams away from Pete.. As Marat PROBABLY should have took more slams away from Roger.