Who better? Roddick or Tipsarevic ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who better? Roddick or Tipsarevic ?

BigJohn
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
It was put forward as an argument that Tipsy is a better player than Roddick.

Who do you think is a better player, Roddick or Tipsarevic?

SetSampras
12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I think Tipsy is the better player.. More dangerous for sure.

Saberq
12-07-2011, 10:40 PM
right now ? Tipsarevic

samanosuke
12-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Fixy still isn't able to beat decent player , Roddick on good day is

fmolinari2005
12-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Of course Tipsy. The guy never lost a GS final.

Certinfy
12-07-2011, 11:00 PM
right now ? Tipsarevic
This. In these circumstances the rankings don't lie.

BigJohn
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
Of course Tipsy. The guy never lost a GS final.

But did he ever win one?

Is this another lame attempt to convince people it's better not to make Slam finals so you have a better resume when you retire?

tennishero
12-07-2011, 11:11 PM
roddick has a better serve and mentality, the rest > tipsarevic.

Amukinado
12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Roddick had the better carreer and will always have. That said... Tipsarevic is better NOW.

fmolinari2005
12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
But did he ever win one?

Is this another lame attempt to convince people it's better not to make Slam finals so you have a better resume when you retire?

No. He never won one. But GS titles are overrated. I never lost a professional tennis match- which makes me a GOAT candidate. Not to mention that Tipsy is friends with Nole. Which makes him a far better player than Roddick. Or Federer for that matter.

BodyServe
12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Roddick 2004 beats Tipsarevic 2011 on every surface except clay.

Time Violation
12-07-2011, 11:21 PM
H2H is 2-2, however both Tipsy's victories are at slams, so... :shrug: :angel:

Jimnik
12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Right now the rankings don't lie.

Over an entire career, it's not even a debate.

Pirata.
12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Troicki is better than both :shrug:

helvet empire
12-07-2011, 11:33 PM
you should have been more specific in the poll OP: who's better right now or who's better carreer wise? In both cases the answer is obvious.

rickcastle
12-07-2011, 11:33 PM
H2H is 2-2, however both Tipsy's victories are at slams, so... :shrug: :angel:

And Roddick has positive H2H over Djokovic. H2H are really of little importance especially if the matches are happening before or past your peak.

Right now of course it's Tipsarevic but overall? Only an idiot "weak era" propagandist would claim Tipsarevic is better than Roddick.

shiaben
12-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Tipsarevic at the moment is the better player just like I've stated in the other thread. He's got a decent forehand and backhand. His return of serve was good enough to help him go the distance against tough opponents. He's not afraid of going for big winners against big opponents. He's better than Roddick at the moment. Roddick's serve is crumbling, weak backhand again, forehand is mediocre, clearly at this point in time, Tipsarevic is the better player and the ranking doesn't lie. If I were a top 8 player, I'd rather face Roddick, than Tipsarevic, since Tipsy's game is more dangerous since he's got more weapons in the bag.

fmolinari2005
12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Troicki is better than both :shrug:

Affirmative.:worship:

Topspindoctor
12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Better at what? Playing tennis or fixing?

Arakasi
12-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Tipsarevic at the moment is the better player just like I've stated in the other thread. He's got a decent forehand and backhand. His return of serve was good enough to help him go the distance against tough opponents. He's not afraid of going for big winners against big opponents. He's better than Roddick at the moment. Roddick's serve is crumbling, weak backhand again, forehand is mediocre, clearly at this point in time, Tipsarevic is the better player and the ranking doesn't lie. If I were a top 8 player, I'd rather face Roddick, than Tipsarevic, since Tipsy's game is more dangerous since he's got more weapons in the bag.

Don't try to weasel out of it now. You were comparing Tipsarevic to '06 Roddick and according to you:

Tipsarevic might be an inconsistent player, but he still has more overall quality than Roddick does. The only thing Roddick has over him is one lucky slam.

shiaben
12-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Regardless. O6 Roddick still had weaknesses. Overall as a threat, Tipsarevic is still a bigger threat to most players. Roddick unfortunately, is not. Which reflects where he is in the rankings.

He pushed Federer to 5 sets at the Australian Open in his first shot while someone like Roddick needed many years to push Federer to 5 sets. On top of that Tipsarevic has better overall technique in all their years.

Roddick's return of serve, backhand, have been shitty for almost a decade now. His forehand has also been crap for the last several years. Tipsarevic has weaknesses as well, but not as rudimentary as the ones Roddick has and far few in number.

Smoke944
12-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Regardless. O6 Roddick still had weaknesses. Overall as a threat, Tipsarevic is still a bigger threat to most players. Roddick unfortunately, is not. Which reflects where he is in the rankings.

He pushed Federer to 5 sets at the Australian Open in his first shot while someone like Roddick needed many years to push Federer to 5 sets. On top of that Tipsarevic has better overall technique in all their years.

Roddick's return of serve, backhand, have been shitty for almost a decade now. His forehand has also been crap for the last several years. Tipsarevic has weaknesses as well, but not as rudimentary as the ones Roddick has and far few in number.

Early campaigning for the 2012 ACC, nice stuff.

tripwires
12-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Peak Roddick >>> Peak Tipsarevic and I don't think it's even close. The biggest thing that Roddick has over Tips is that he's not afraid to actually win a tournament.

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 12:14 AM
LOL sure a guy who never made it past GS quarterfinals and has 2 career titles more of a threat than 5x GS finalist with 30 career titles at his peak. Classic. You can't make this stuff up :lol:

tennishero
12-08-2011, 02:01 AM
usa/roddick briggade out in force tonight :)

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Current: Tipsy

Career: Roddick by far

MIMIC
12-08-2011, 02:21 AM
If Tipsarevic wins the poll, will rickcastle put shiaben on his ignore list? :haha:

Snowwy
12-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Right now, I would say Tipseravic by a slim margin, but in their careers, Roddick and its not even at all close.

SetSampras
12-08-2011, 03:16 AM

Great post.. You actually prove the point I've been saying for years.. Arguably, Tipsy may be more of a threat then what was Fed's main rival for about 4 years :)

Roddick is pretty much NO threat to the top.. Tipsarevic seems more of one on his day.. He pushed Fed to 5 at the AO, pushed Nole hard this year as well at the USO. Roddick hasn't really done much of pushing the top guys (besides pushing himself) in a very long time.

Tipsy I always felt was more dangerous.. I actually think hes more talented and deadly then Roddick is.

Listen to reason Fards... Please.. Roddick is no threat and never really has been.

Fedex
12-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Great post.. You actually prove the point I've been saying for years.. Arguably, Tipsy may be more of a threat then what was Fed's main rival for about 4 years :)

Roddick is pretty much NO threat to the top.. Tipsarevic seems more of one on his day.. He pushed Fed to 5 at the AO, pushed Nole hard this year as well at the USO. Roddick hasn't really done much of pushing the top guys (besides pushing himself) in a very long time.

Tipsy I always felt was more dangerous.. I actually think hes more talented and deadly then Roddick is.

Listen to reason Fards... Please.. Roddick is no threat and never really has been.

Yes, the guy with 2 career titles and a couple QF appearances in slams was always more dangerous and better than a guy with 30 titles, a former world number one with a slam and 4 other finals appearances.

Great stuff.

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Yes, the guy with 2 career titles and a couple QF appearances in slams was always more dangerous and better than a guy with 30 titles, a former world number one with a slam and 4 other finals appearances.

Great stuff.

It's amazing how low people would stoop down in their logic just to make their weak era arguments. Tipsarevic a bigger threat than the guy who would have 5 slams by now and God knows how many other titles if it wasn't for Federer... you think you've heard everything and then people just outdo themselves :lol: Must be the off season blues.

bishi
12-08-2011, 03:43 AM

Great stuff.

Yea this...What a dumb question. Why not Hewitt v Fish for that matter. In both the answers are obvious. As much as Roddick annoys me, most players would love the chance to have that career.

Mountaindewslave
12-08-2011, 03:56 AM
this cannot be a serious question??

Roddick by leaps and bounds. he is more talented, has a better head on his shoulders, has weapons, has accomplishments, etc, etc.

Tips has underachieved, sure, but the problem is he doesn't have anything really REMARKABLE about his game. Andy Roddick has (or had) one of the best serves the sport has ever seen and could hit big with his groundstrokes. on his best day he can beat anyone. the same can't be said about Janko.

this is a really dumb question honestly, it is embrassing how close the poll is. one of these players will make the Hall of Fame, has a Grand Slam and 30 titles, and the other player has a few ATP 250's. just insulting and disgraceful, all of you, demeaning Roddick like this.

apparently a player who is like 3-11 in ATP 250 finals is as good as a Grand Slam winner and like 4/5? time runner up who has won countless tournaments from masters to 500's to 250's and has held the #1 ranking.

embrassing question and poll :o

Mountaindewslave
12-08-2011, 03:58 AM

the day i heard someone say Tipsarevic has lots of 'weapons' in his game................ :o :facepalm:

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 03:59 AM
this is a really dumb question honestly, it is embrassing how close the poll is. one of these players will make the Hall of Fame, has a Grand Slam and 30 titles, and the other player has a few ATP 250's. just insulting and disgraceful, all of you, demeaning Roddick like this.

Exactly. It's kind of disgusting. I'm sure a lot of pro players would dream of having Roddick's career. Heck, Tipsarevic could only dream of having a Roddick-like career ffs.

Mountaindewslave
12-08-2011, 04:04 AM
Exactly. It's kind of disgusting. I'm sure a lot of pro players would dream of having Roddick's career. Heck, Tipsarevic could only dream of having a Roddick-like career ffs.

Roddick of course! even if these posters dislike him, it just doesn't excuse degrading and not giving credit to a great career.

maybe compare Roddick to someone like Nalbandian, accomplishment wise, and even talent wise, both could play amazing at certain moments. but comparing him to Tipsarevic honestly is insulting.

what was the point of the thread? ROddick's form was not very good throughout 2011? might as well make a "Roddick or Bogolomov" thread if trying to point out Andy's recent poor form

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Roddick of course! even if these posters dislike him, it just doesn't excuse degrading and not giving credit to a great career.

maybe compare Roddick to someone like Nalbandian, accomplishment wise, and even talent wise, both could play amazing at certain moments. but comparing him to Tipsarevic honestly is insulting.

what was the point of the thread? ROddick's form was not very good throughout 2011? might as well make a "Roddick or Bogolomov" thread if trying to point out Andy's recent poor form

Because shiaben was mentioning in another thread that Federer 2006 wasn't as good as Djokovic 2011 because Roddick was able to take a set off Federer in USO 2006. When countered with the fact that a lesser player in Tipsarevic was also able to take a set off Djokovic in USO 2011, he countered that Tipsarevic is an overall better player than Roddick. Good times.

MatchFederer
12-08-2011, 04:08 AM
LOL! The inevitable poll!!

MatchFederer
12-08-2011, 04:11 AM
you should have been more specific in the poll OP: who's better right now or who's better carreer wise? In both cases the answer is obvious.

Yep.

Pirata.
12-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Overall as a threat, Tipsarevic is still a bigger threat to most players. Roddick unfortunately, is not.

:haha:

paseo
12-08-2011, 05:10 AM

Roddick needs to be respected more, damn it.

At his peak, Roddick's serve was deadly. And his FH was a weapon. The only one who could deal with Roddick's serve consistently was Fed. This is where he got unlucky, cause he made finals and SFs, only to be denied by the one player that could take away his main weapon. Fed is such a bad match up for Roddick, it's not even funny. Well, maybe it is. lol. Anyway, if Roddick was really a mug like Tipsarevic, he wouldn't have reach all those finals and SFs.

Now, SetSampras knows this but he has an agenda, so lol. But shiaben, I hope you have an agenda too cause if not, then lol too. Learn the damn sport.

SetSampras
12-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Roddick needs to be respected more, damn it.

At his peak, Roddick's serve was deadly. And his FH was a weapon. The only one who could deal with Roddick's serve consistently was Fed. This is where he got unlucky, cause he made finals and SFs, only to be denied by the one player that could take away his main weapon. Fed is such a bad match up for Roddick, it's not even funny. Well, maybe it is. lol. Anyway, if Roddick was really a mug like Tipsarevic, he wouldn't have reach all those finals and SFs.

Now, SetSampras knows this but he has an agenda, so lol. But shiaben, I hope you have an agenda too cause if not, then lol too. Learn the damn sport.

I have no agenda.. But if you wanted Roddick to have "respect" maybe he should have shown more character as a player and actually had done something despite his GAZILLION chances in slams etc..Yet all this time in the top 10, he has one slam to show for himself and some ridiculous 2-321434 h2h vs. Fed. Hell other guys came along and managed more against the top guys in a shorter amount of time then Roddick could in YEARS of trying

Respect and praise is earned and Roddick hasn't earned it.. Sorry.

He was a complete dickhead as a person, a HORRIBLE shit one dimensional rival who never once developed other aspects of his game as he should have , and totally not deserving of any praise

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 05:19 AM
I have no agenda.. But if you wanted Roddick to have "respect" maybe he should have shown more character as a player and actually had done something despite his GAZILLION chances in slams etc..Yet all this time in the top 10, he has one slam to show for himself and some ridiculous 2-321434 h2h vs. Fed. Hell other guys came along and managed more against the top guys in a shorter amount of time then Roddick could in YEARS of trying

Respect and praise is earned and Roddick hasn't earned it.. Sorry.

He was a complete dickhead as a person, a HORRIBLE shit one dimensional rival who never once developed other aspects of his game as he should have , and totally not deserving of any praise

But Tipsarevic with no grandslam finals deserves respect over Roddick? Get a clue.

Fedex
12-08-2011, 05:22 AM
But Tipsarevic with no grandslam finals deserves respect over Roddick? Get a clue.

Of course he does. Afterall, he was the alternate at the WTF this year. And Roddick didn't make it for like the first time in a decade.

SetSampras
12-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Tipsy has a much more impressive all around game and more impressive to watch then Roddick is IMO.. And seems like an alright guy..Unlike Roddick.

Sure... Tipsy IMO deserves more respect

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Tipsy has a much more impressive all around game and more impressive to watch then Roddick is IMO.. And seems like an alright guy..Unlike Roddick.

:facepalm:

Pathetic.

shiaben
12-08-2011, 05:31 AM

This is what I've been trying to convey.

What part of this is so hard to understand for some Fedtards? (Or Roddicktards) for that matter...

People here pretend as if Roddick has quality comparable to Sampras, Agassi, and McEnroe (maybe to defend their argument that Fed had "tough" competition). Unfortunately, Roddick is one of the most one dimensional players, even during his prime, unfortunately not a good all around player. Tipsarevic has a good all around game, just a mentally weak and inconsistent player.

SetSampras
12-08-2011, 05:36 AM

What part of this is so hard to understand for some Fedtards? (Or Roddicktards) for that matter...

People here pretend as if Roddick has quality comparable to Sampras, Agassi, and McEnroe (maybe to defend their argument that Fed had "tough" competition). Unfortunately, Roddick is one of the most one dimensional players, even during his prime, unfortunately not a good all around player. Tipsarevic has a good all around game, just a mentally weak and inconsistent player.

Roddick was pretty much a 2 weapon guy.. Big Serve, big FH (Then his FH went bye and bye and all he became was just a serve). He never improved the BH, was absolutely pathetic at the net, especially his transition game, and never worked on that despite it being a good strategy to follow his big serve, never really improved the aggressive overrall baseline game and resorted to pushing.. It was horrible to watch.. Horribly one dimensional.. You broke through his serve, he had nothing to fall back on really.. his on and off court antics only further damaged his credibility IMO.

Of course the fards will try until the end of time to make Roddick into a Mac, Courier, Pete Andre, Connors type rival to further their agenda and try to make Fed's main rival during a 4 year time span more impressive then he really was ( despite getting destroyed by OLD Sampras at the USO, and Agassi destroying him just about every time they met), most fans knew better.

Roddick was a good player.. Never a great player.. Not to say Tipsy is a great player but certainly you can argue he has more game then A-Rod does.

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 05:37 AM

Even if that's true (which is debatable) - being "weak and inconsistent" is part of what makes Tipsarevic not a great player. So ergo, even if he has the weapons you speak of, he has not been able to consolidate and therefore only has 2 titles to his name and is therefore a lesser player than Roddick.

There are a lot of players more talented than Djokovic and Nadal but because Djokovic and Nadal are more mentally strong, they have been able to make more of their careers - and who's to say these guys do not deserve respect for that? One can say that Nalbandian has better talent than Nadal but who's the bigger threat? It's always going to be Nadal because he is more mentally strong and consistent.

Actually you guys want to keep on demeaning Roddick to stress that Federer had a weak competition but if Roddick is such a slouch, he wouldn't have made it to 4 other grandslam finals aside from the one he won. You can fluke your way to one slam win but reaching 5 GS finals is no small feat and requires a tough player. Roddick has been able to do way more than Tipsarevic will probably be able to do in his entire career.

You can speak of so called weapons and talents if you want, but if Tipsarevic does not know how to use this supposedly great weapons he has - he is a weak player and Roddick's achievements will prove that he is better.

Fedex
12-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Tipsarevic does have a lot of talent, but that makes him no different than the dozens of other talented players that never did jack at the professional level.

Roddick, for all his faults, has a slam to his resume, other finals appearances, a year end number one and in the top 8 of the world for nearly a decade. He's had an accomplished career. This thread is so stupid on so many levels.

Nole Rules
12-08-2011, 06:16 AM
BigJohn, change the question to who is the more talented player. This will be a more interesting question.

Nole Rules
12-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Tipsy is easily the more talented player.

thegreendestiny
12-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Tipsy of course. He won KL and Moscow. :shrug:

He is also overweight but is in the top 10. :p

EddieNero
12-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Off-season in full force.

tripwires
12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Have you been reading the responses in this thread? Fedtards aren't the only ones laughing at your claim that Tipsy is a bigger threat/better player/whatever you wanna call him than Roddick.

Roddick, with his one dimensional skills, managed to make more slam finals than Tips would probably make in his entire career. It's the results that matter. You can say that someone like Dimitrov or whomever has more talent than Roddick, but so what? Is he more dangerous? Obviously not. What has Tips done in his career to make him better or more dangerous than Roddick? Taking Fed to 5 sets in AO 2008? He didn't win that match, did he?

Sonja1989
12-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Hahahahaha.. US Open >>>>>> Moscow/Kuala Lumpur. But there are few other viewpoint for compare them, any of them would be for Roddick. :angel:

nole_no1
12-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Right now or in general?

Right now there is no doubt about it... Janko of course

grishotarian
12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Based on current performance/form Janko.

Based on achievement Roddick.

BigJohn
12-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I have no agenda..

/credibility

Amukinado
12-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Right now or in general?

Right now there is no doubt about it... Janko of course

And in general there is? :/

Amukinado
12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Just to state I voted for Tipsarevic because I thought he was asking who is the better player now.

tripwires
12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Maybe the OP could amend the thread to say "Peak Roddick vs Peak Tipsarevic" to ease the confusion.

Sunset of Age
12-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Have you been reading the responses in this thread? Fedtards aren't the only ones laughing at your claim that Tipsy is a bigger threat/better player/whatever you wanna call him than Roddick.

Anyone who doesn't agree with the statement that Tipsy is a 'better' player than Roddick is obviously a Fedtard. :shrug:

:silly:

Roddick, with his one dimensional skills, managed to make more slam finals than Tips would probably make in his entire career. It's the results that matter. You can say that someone like Dimitrov or whomever has more talent than Roddick, but so what? Is he more dangerous? Obviously not. What has Tips done in his career to make him better or more dangerous than Roddick? Taking Fed to 5 sets in AO 2008? He didn't win that match, did he?

I have yet to see Tipsy win a GS title, win about 30 other titles, grab the ATP #1 ranking and stay in the top ten for about a decade, but I guess that's because I'm a 'Fedtard'. :angel:

MTF at its finest, this thread. :worship:

Time Violation
12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
MTF at its finest, this thread. :worship:

Actually it's great example how "talent" is insanely overrated on the board. :) "Talented" players should hoard slams by the default almost. Not sure why everybody is infatuated with talent that much; for years (probably even today) in Serbian press/forums, Tipsy was the "talented one", while Nole was the "hard-working one".

barbadosan
12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, step right up for the weighing-in of this remarkable contest:

In the left column, Andy Roddick; in the right column, Janko Tipsarevic

...................Roddick (29).......Tipsarevic (27)

Grand Slam Titles .....1 ..................0
Grand Slam Runner-Up ..4 ..................0
Grand Slam Semis ..... 5 ..................0
Masters Titles ........5 ..................0
Masters Runner-Up .....4 ..................0
ATP Titles ...........30 ..................2
ATP #1 ranking ......Yes .................No
Highest Rank .........#1 ................-#9

misty1
12-08-2011, 12:35 PM
andy roddick..and its not even close

Shinoj
12-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Tipsarevic is a Mug in front of Roddick or anyone else for that Matter.. Could anyone enlighten me what has Tipsarevic done until now ?

timafi
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
better technical player as far as positioning;footwork;speed;variety and return of serve:ALWAYS was Tipsarevic and ALWAYS will be!

"better" mentally? Roddick but he hasn't beaten a decent player since 2010 so:tape:

Shinoj
12-08-2011, 12:50 PM
:superlol:

Sham Kay
12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Tennis wise:

Now - Tipsarevic is all peaking. Roddicks hourglass is spitting dust.

Overall - Roddick and all those successes.

Personality wise:

Intelligence - Tipsarevic is a very thoughtful articulate philosophical person. Roddick is a Nebraskan loudmouth.

Looks - Tipsarevic has manly facial hair. Roddick shaved his legs.

Tipsarevic takes this by a whopper of a margin.

Vida
12-08-2011, 01:04 PM
its doubtful that janko would be as accomplished as roddick even with better mentality. maybe had he grown up elsewhere and been groomed or maybe its the size aspect, although he may have bigger or smaller game than roddick depending how you take it. still 5 slam finals seems little steep.

nalbyfan
12-08-2011, 01:44 PM
How many tourneys won by Andy ?
And by Tipsy ? That's the answer

American278
12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
better technical player as far as positioning;footwork;speed;variety and return of serve:ALWAYS was Tipsarevic and ALWAYS will be!

"better" mentally? Roddick but he hasn't beaten a decent player since 2010 so:tape:

you re wrong;) he has beaten tipsarevic en route to his memphis title:D and now we all know that tipsi is better than andy:D
and he beat ferrer this year;) and IMO ferrer is more than a decent player

Pea
12-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Tipsy, clearly. rodduck was lucky to get where he was at at a transitional period.

Tipsy's 2-1 h2h in slams :drool:

samanosuke
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM
did I miss something or MTF actually discussing on this topic ? MTF hit yourself hard

BigJohn
12-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Tipsy, clearly. rodduck was lucky to get where he was at at a transitional period.

Yeah... how many weeks has Tipsy been in the top five again? Did he finish the year #1 yet?

And by transitional period, do you mean like now?