Söderling out of Australian Open [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Söderling out of Australian Open

jonas
12-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Söderling still hasn't recovered from his mono, and has to skip AO.
Link in swedish: http://svt.se/2.21318/1.2633836/soderling_avstar_australian_open
His agent says he's getting better, but has no clue when he can start competing again.
They've been saying the same thing for months, basically.
I fear this can be a career-ending sickness for Robin.
Sure he can make some decent comebacks.
But it looks like another Ancic-story.
What's the thing with Fredrik Rosengren and his adepts?

Sunset of Age
12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Damn. Too bad. :sad:

Rafa is the GOAT
12-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Poor Robin. Never liked him a lot, but he still was a great player.
What happend to Ancic? What was his story?

GOAT = Fed
12-07-2011, 06:00 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:sad:

jonas
12-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Ancic suffered from mononucleosis during 2007 and 2008. Made numerous decent comebacks, but had to take countless breaks from the tour due to the sickness.

Never really recovered after that.

TMJordan
12-07-2011, 06:03 PM
:fiery:

scarecrows
12-07-2011, 06:04 PM
hopefully it's just a choice he made himself since AO is his worst GS anyway

nole_no1
12-07-2011, 06:04 PM
This is way more serious than i thought unfortunatelly...

MalwareDie
12-07-2011, 06:07 PM
hopefully it's just a choice he made himself since AO is his worst GS anyway

I hope so too. Playing in the heat and high humidity on such a slow hard court would be bad for the body anyway. Hopefully, he'll be back after the AO.

peRfect-Tennis
12-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm sure he'll be back. May as well rest up till the French, probably his best surface. Or at least where his best results have come.

Eden
12-07-2011, 06:14 PM
That's terrible news and again another proof that people shouldn't joke about this disease as it is nothing minor.

I wish Robin the needed patience and all the best for a full recovery.

I feel for the fans of him as it is never an easy situation to see a favorite player out of the game for so long.

TMJordan
12-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Nadulltards jumping (and picking) for joy.

star
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Ah. This is sad news. :awww:

I can’t imagine how frustrating and demoralizing it must be for Robin. One never appreciates health so much as when struck with a long illness. I hope the best for him. I’m sure he’s doing everything he can to get well.

I hope it turns out better for him than it did for Ancic.

When one gets a strong dose of mono, it’s no trifling thing. Andy was so very lucky he had only a minor tangle with it.

SaFed2005
12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Ah. This is sad news. :awww:

I can’t imagine how frustrating and demoralizing it must be for Robin. One never appreciates health so much as when struck with a long illness. I hope the best for him. I’m sure he’s doing everything he can to get well.

I hope it turns out better for him than it did for Ancic.

When one gets a strong dose of mono, it’s no trifling thing. Andy was so very lucky he had only a minor tangle with it.

Andy and Roger were both pretty lucky. Hopefully, Soderling is back soon. :)

samanosuke
12-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Poor Robin :sad: . Hope he is luckier than Mario .

every one from rafa tards who were laughing at Fed's mono should have been banned .

Fuser59
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
IT'S all about taking enough time off..Doesn't matter AO..f... that...I think he will come back in grass court season and he REALLY NEEDS TO BE CAREFULL AND NOT START too soon...like Mario... his mistake wa that he felt time is running away+not stopping in time (when they realised what it was...it was practically too late)...his glands/body was already damaged...and he started getting tired very quickly even after months and months behind the sickness...So Robin will I think have a protected ranking when he comes back??

I don't know what's his situation or did HE STOP in time...but now it depends about taking time off..HE MUST SKIP THE HOT AUSTRALIAN SUMMER AND US spring season as well as dirt season...

henke007
12-07-2011, 07:10 PM
He is better of resting and training easy untill February anyway and start in Rotterdam Indoor. I bet he will face Roger there for the 100 th time. Anyway it will be a long way back and 2012 will be a lackluster season.

MariaV
12-07-2011, 07:17 PM
That's sad. I wish him just a more speedy and full recovery! :hug: :hug:

MaxPower
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
It would be very hard for Robin to play 5 seters in the scorching heat anyway.

Ofc I wanted him to play AO but all things considered it's not a good tournament to launch your comeback after mono.

Hopefully he will be ready for Rotterdam

Sham Kay
12-07-2011, 07:24 PM
G'luck Soderling and Swedish fans. B'luck Soderlings haters and naysayers.

This is the sort of time us Tennis fans need to keep our noses up and stay positive.. no more sad smilies I say!

Soderling :worship:

Sonja1989
12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
OMG, it's a terrible news. :sad: :sad: I really wish the best for him. Hope he returns soon and in good form. :hug: :hug:

pesto
12-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Crap. Hope he gets well soon. He'd matured into a very worthy and pretty consistent top tenner before this.

Matt01
12-07-2011, 08:24 PM
That's sad. I wish him just a more speedy and full recovery! :hug: :hug:

This.

MatchFederer
12-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Just wow. A serious case of mono...

Certinfy
12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
:sad: :bigcry: :(

Miss him so damn much! Hope he comes back soon, tennis hasn't been the same without him.

viruzzz
12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
*sigh...
Robin is one of my favorite players.
I mean, I'd never forgive him for beating Fed in RG2010 and Tsonga in this year's Rotterdam.
But he's a hell of a player and I love his style and personality.
Please, Robin, you can do it, come on!
You'll be fine, dude...

HKz
12-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Eh quite sad, but it'll be good for him. It is his worst slam anyways, a bit too physically challenging. The surface is too slow and the air temp isn't helping his stamina much.

Foxy
12-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Poor Robin :sad: . Hope he is luckier than Mario .

every one from rafa tards who were laughing at Fed's mono should have been banned .

This news only proves your "god" Rogie didn't have mono in the first place. So take it easy and relax.

HKz
12-07-2011, 09:04 PM
This news only proves your "god" Rogie didn't have mono in the first place. So take it easy and relax.

How would Federer not have had mono? When I got mono, it only lasted about 2 weeks tops. Sure, I was fatigued and such for several weeks afterwards, but the main issues happened in those first two weeks. Either way, certainly not as severe as Robin's case. So just because it isn't making you miss out on 6 months doesn't mean you don't/didn't have mono.

shiaben
12-07-2011, 09:05 PM
He won't be missed. Not a top competitor anyways.

fmolinari2005
12-07-2011, 09:07 PM

A person that probably can't spell "Epstein Barr Virus" shouldn't be allowed to post about Mononucleosis.

Lets hope Soderling will take his time and be back at top conditions. The last thing he needs is to rush into playing again.All the best to him.

Sofonda Cox
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Shame.

atennisfan
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM

Why would Rog have lied?
In all his defeats, it was the only time rog ever told he was sick. and that was way after the tournament.

Compare that to Nadal and Nole who offered explanations of illness and injuries everytime they lost.

samanosuke
12-07-2011, 09:52 PM

Mono isn't fatigue to play with it, you fool . nobody would be faking something such serious

Saberq
12-07-2011, 10:05 PM
well he is not Superman like Fed....he can reach SF of AO with no problem .....he had mono and played on a high level...true GOAT this Fed

Seingeist
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Mmm... :sad:

Is there no balm in Tibro?

alter ego
12-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Poor Robin. Only idiots could be happy about this.

Yolita
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I hope Robin recovers fully. It's awful to see a player have to retire because of illness, like Mario Ancic. May Robin be luckier. :sadface:

shadows
12-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Starting to sound like a possible career killer =/

please get well soon Robin

tripwires
12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
Sad news. I like Robin. Hope he gets well soon.

Also, I don't think this is the appropriate thread to start another pissing contest. This isn't about Fed, so stop talking about him.

madmax
12-08-2011, 12:29 AM
trully sad to see one of the rare true shotmakers today not being able to showcase his talents to us...but haters can not worry - SoderKing will be back and he will still has some fire in him to deliver more spankings to Nadull

Topspindoctor
12-08-2011, 12:31 AM
This is what happens when you have a real mono, you're out for months. And Fedtards used mono excuse when their man was making slam semis/finals :o

TheWall
12-08-2011, 12:53 AM
This is what happens when you have a real mono, you're out for months. And Fedtards used mono excuse when their man was making slam semis/finals :o

You don't want to play this game as a Nadal fan, believe me.
Unlike Krajicek, Scud, Safin and others, Nadal NEVER had surgery on his knees. By your standards that means his knees were 100% all the time. Which makes Söderlings win all the more impressive, don't you agree?

JurajCrane
12-08-2011, 01:19 AM
One of the best players on tour, seriously. Damn he won´t be in Australia, but he should better recover for whole season.

Pirata.
12-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Robin :sad:

Terrible what mono has done to promising players like him and Mario. Even mild forms are nothing to mess with, I had it a couple years ago and it was awful.

rocketassist
12-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Bad for the game :sad:

Kat_YYZ
12-08-2011, 01:56 AM

Some people die as a result of the flu. By your 'logic' anyone who says they had the flu but didn't die is lying :stupid:

Get well soon, Robin :hug:

Mountaindewslave
12-08-2011, 04:05 AM

Ancic showed tons of promise and was looking fantastic in his younger days but unfortunately became ill and then swept by injuries and never returned to his old form despite multiple attempts over years

shiaben
12-08-2011, 05:49 AM
It's amazing how sharing drinks, food, utensils, or even kissing can lead to such powerful symptoms and illnesses. Just remarkable how mononucleosis can be a threat to top players as much as injuries, rivals, mental frustration, and everything else on tour.

FlameOn
12-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Robin :sobbing:. Come back strongly and healthily :sad:.

Guga_fan
12-08-2011, 09:26 AM
That's really bad, hope he can recover for the clay season and do some damage.

The worst part is how awesome he was playing before the mono, destroying Berdych and Ferrer the way he did were definitely signs that he still has it in him for more success in RG.

samanosuke
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Another Nadal's lucks . If in that RG QF played healthy Robin he would have destroyed that shitty tennis from Nadal . Another slam won by draws for Nadal. vamos

Foxy
12-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Another Nadal's lucks . If in that RG QF played healthy Robin he would have destroyed that shitty tennis from Nadal . Another slam won by draws for Nadal. vamos

He is just getting started. Deal with it. Drink a beer and relax!

BlueLighthouse
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
In the meantime, just enjoy the memory http://groopii.blogspot.com/2010/01/robin-soderling-at-cincinnati-open-2009.html

asmazif
12-08-2011, 10:23 AM
shame :sadface:

ZaZoo)
12-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Why out of AO when he can reach SF like monofed. :lol:

Sunset of Age
12-08-2011, 10:57 AM
A person that probably can't spell "Epstein Barr Virus" shouldn't be allowed to post about Mononucleosis.

Let alone those who apparently have no knowledge whatsoever about the disease.
For the upteenth time - the degree to which an individual gets affected by the virus varies enormously. Tons of folks who get infected don't even notice it, plenty of others - the unlucky ones - get floored for months or even longer.
And even in mild cases it will obviously have an effect on a professional sportsman's training schedule. It obviously affected Federer's training, and it might well be that Roddick's mediocre results of the past couple of months have had something to do with his 'lighter' case of mono as well.

Ancic' case was of course a really terrible one, eventually leading up to the end of his professional career as a tennis player. I can only keep my fingers crossed for Robin that it won't end up the same for him, but the longer he needs to recover, the worse his outlooks become... get well soon, Robin! :sad:

asmazif
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Still love Mario's final epic QF run at Wimby '08, beating no. 5 Ferrer in R3, then Nando 13-11 in the fifth after coming back from 2 sets down... was glorious :yeah: :D

tripwires
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
For the upteenth time - the degree to which an individual gets affected by the virus varies enormously. Tons of folks who get infected don't even notice it, plenty of others - the unlucky ones - get floored for months or even longer.
And even in mild cases it will obviously have an effect on a professional sportsman's training schedule. It obviously affected Federer's training, and it might well be that Roddick's mediocre results of the past couple of months have had something to do with his 'lighter' case of mono as well.

Ancic' case was of course a really terrible one, eventually leading up to the end of his professional career as a tennis player. I can only keep my fingers crossed for Robin that it won't end up the same for him, but the longer he needs to recover, the worse his outlooks become... get well soon, Robin! :sad:

Couldn't rep you for this. :( You should've written this in font size 7 so that the idiots have no excuse next time when they spew the same tired recycled crap.

Mae
12-08-2011, 11:53 AM

Great Post :) I tried to Rep you for it, but couldn't :mad: I said the same thing myself, but apparently no one listened to me maybe they will listen to you!

Vida
12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
disgusting disease.

Foxy
12-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Double standards once again. Then when it was a mild case, just neglect it, and not classify it as Mono when Mono != Mono.

nalbyfan
12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Ancic suffered from mononucleosis during 2007 and 2008. Made numerous decent comebacks, but had to take countless breaks from the tour due to the sickness.

Never really recovered after that.

It's imposssible to have a mono during 2 years...it's a short illness. It's chronic back problems which made Ancic retire, not mono.

sebbe
12-08-2011, 02:17 PM
He just wrote this on facebook!

Robin Söderling
Hello my friends. I am very sorry for being away for so long and for not giving many updates but my recovery has been longer than expected. I am feeling better with each day but it will still take some time before I can start practicing in full speed. My goal is to start with practice in January and I hope for tournament comeback in February but at this stage it is hard to know when and where. I hope my body will allow me to do that. I will try to give you more updates. I love reading your messages and appreciate your support and encouragement very much.

12-08-2011, 02:35 PM
: (

henke007
12-08-2011, 02:49 PM
:bigcry::sobbing:

Sunset of Age
12-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Double standards once again. Then when it was a mild case, just neglect it, and not classify it as Mono when Mono != Mono.

Reading disabilities again? :rolleyes:

Federer, Roddick, Ancic and Söderling all had mono = infected with the Epstein Barr Virus.
For the last time: THE EFFECTS VARY ENORMOUSLY WITHIN EACH AND EVERY INDIVIDUAL.

Clear now?

MIMIC
12-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Very sorry to hear about Robin. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and doesn't suffer the same fate as Ancic.

star
12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
:lol: :lol:

Can always expect a “strong” reaction from FedFans when Mono is mentioned. :lol: :lol:

Sunset of Age
12-08-2011, 04:01 PM
:lol: :lol:

Can always expect a “strong” reaction from FedFans when Mono is mentioned. :lol: :lol:

When someone - how convienently, a Nadaltroll - just bluntly denies it, why shouldn't his fans come up to the defence?
In case you haven't noticed, I mentioned Roddick just the same. And no, I am no fan of his. ;)

Edith09
12-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Bad luck. I hope he will be back soon.

timafi
12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
feel better Robin :awww:

damn makes me respect Roger's 2008 even more.1 semis and 3 slam finals:bowdown:

tripwires
12-09-2011, 04:17 AM
I can't be bothered to reply to the trolls.

Anyway, poor Robin. :sad: I really hope he makes a full recovery soon. I've missed him on the tour.

fmolinari2005
12-09-2011, 09:20 PM

It is beyond ridiculous reading some posts here, specially those Nadaltards accusing another player of "injuritis".

Federer had splenomegaly- to a point his doctors actually advised him against playing, since he could had suffered a spleen rupture. And anyone who has a spleen laceration/ rupture can die of hypovolemic shock (bleeding out to death) if left untreated (either medically or surgically).

Most of the "it was only a flu" type of mononucleosis are not even diagnosed. The person has flu-like symptoms and it goes away without treatment. People usually get diagnosed with mononucleosis when the clinical presentation is a bit more extreme than the usual flu: when symptoms last longer, the patient has abnormalities in his/her blood count/ and so on.

You see with Soderling (and probably Roddick): he is suffering from those lingering nasty effects of mononucleosis. On a regular person that doesn't exert himself/herself as a profession it is bad. For a guy that works through putting his body to extreme conditions is even worse.

At first when I read that Fed had mono I thought "no big deal, they probably discovered it because he is an "important" patient and went out checking for every single lab tast available". When, afterwards, I read about his spleen enlargement and his doctors advising him about the danger of him keep on playing I thought "ouch, it was more serious than I previously thought".

Any doubt that Roger's immune system took a beating that year can be put asside by that skin infection he had on his face. How many times did you see Federer, after his teen years, with a skin infection like that (see pics of him from Estoril to Wimbledon)?!

To the retards everywhere: the same virus associated with mononucleosis is linked to lymphomas and leukemias. Most people are lucky to have a mild case of flu-like symptoms, but this virus is nasty.

petar_pan
12-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Söderling still hasn't recovered from his mono, and has to skip AO.
Link in swedish: http://svt.se/2.21318/1.2633836/soderling_avstar_australian_open
His agent says he's getting better, but has no clue when he can start competing again.
They've been saying the same thing for months, basically.
I fear this can be a career-ending sickness for Robin.
Sure he can make some decent comebacks.
But it looks like another Ancic-story.
What's the thing with Fredrik Rosengren and his adepts?

Ancic was the best friend from tennis world of Soderling. Maybe they like french kissing each other. Just a little bit when it's boring, you know.

leng jai
12-09-2011, 10:11 PM
The range of IQ in this thread varies enormously

ossie
12-10-2011, 12:40 AM
He won't be missed. Not a top competitor anyways.
agreed

*Jean*
12-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Robin :bigcry:

Super Djoker
12-10-2011, 10:28 PM
This guys luck sucks wright know! I think tennis could do with a good new player, Not Tomic or Dimitrov ! Tomic reminds me of Murray too much and Dimitrov is just awful!