40% of top 200 are age 28+ [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

40% of top 200 are age 28+

Johnny Groove
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Who says tennis is a young man's game?

Perhaps the increased physicality of the game has allowed older players to have an edge over younger players, also in the mentality department. We don't see as many teens in the top 100 or so these days.

Lopez
12-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Compared to a lot of other sports it is nowadays.

The youngsters take more time to mature than some years back, that's true. Still, you really don't see tennis players being as competitive when they hit their late thirties/early fourties than in some other sports.

MaxPower
12-06-2011, 09:40 PM
hmm yeah remember a swedish tennis expert having a rant about it. A big secret is that players are more serious with their training and recovery.

How many people used oxygen tents, nutrition experts, ice baths, daily massages etc in the 80s and 90s? Such things can prolong your career. Because the big difference between 20 and 30 has never been the speed and strength. It's the ability to recover (which means more in tennis than in many other sports as they play matches close to each other)

Time Violation
12-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Lol, just minutes ago I was watching Wimbledon '74 highlights, with almost 40 year old Rosewall. That's exactly Sampras age now, could you imagine Pete playing Wimbledon finals next year? :lol: Sure, there were youngsters breaking on the tour, but also plenty of 30+ yrs old players as well, almost in any season :)

MatchFederer
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
There's hope for you yet, Mr Groove.

leng jai
12-06-2011, 10:25 PM
JG Vs Xritos Wimbledon 2017 Final

MatchFederer
12-06-2011, 10:29 PM

Booking my tickets in the morning.

Pirata.
12-07-2011, 01:44 AM

Booking my tickets in the morning.

:woohoo:

Topspindoctor
12-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Lol, just minutes ago I was watching Wimbledon '74 highlights, with almost 40 year old Rosewall. That's exactly Sampras age now, could you imagine Pete playing Wimbledon finals next year? :lol: Sure, there were youngsters breaking on the tour, but also plenty of 30+ yrs old players as well, almost in any season :)

Just proves that it was a mug era when a 40 year old man can reach a slam final. And nostalgiatards still say previous eras had more depth :superlol:

The only reasons elite guys ended with 100+ singles titles is because everyone else was pathetic. Imagine if Nadal or Fed played in challengers - how many titles would they be able to rack up? It was pretty much like that in the 70's :lol:

rocketassist
12-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Just proves that it was a mug era when a 40 year old man can reach a slam final. And nostalgiatards still say previous eras had more depth :superlol:

The only reasons elite guys ended with 100+ singles titles is because everyone else was pathetic. Imagine if Nadal or Fed played in challengers - how many titles would they be able to rack up? It was pretty much like that in the 70's :lol:

Yet from the current tour 'Mugray' who you go on about like a parrot is 4 in the world, 'Mugdy Fish' is top 10 and 'Del Mugtro' won a GS. So are they mugs or not?

Topspindoctor
12-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Yet from the current tour 'Mugray' who you go on about like a parrot is 4 in the world, 'Mugdy Fish' is top 10 and 'Del Mugtro' won a GS. So are they mugs or not?

They are mugs in THIS era for sure, which is one of the strongest of all time, as confirmed by many pundits. BUT, if the likes of Mugray and Del Mugtro played in the 70's I am fairly sure they'd be able to steal some slams from the "legends" of those times, who won most of their titles by beating challenger opponents. Imagine if Nadal or Fed played in an era where they had to play 40 year old geezers in the final. They'd both end up with like 25/20 slams and 150+ titles each.

freeandlonely
12-07-2011, 02:26 AM
It's becoming a more physical/mental game.
So youngers need more time to mature.
Nadal is an unique case.
But players like Nadal may retire before 27.

Edda
12-08-2011, 01:31 AM
I frankly like seeing a game where older and, for the most part, more mature players are competing. I like watching JCF, who at 31, has a good record of accomplishments outside of tennis, with his hotel, part ownership of the Valencia tournament and his Equelite tennis academy. He has also overcome a great deal of adversity and still competes. He is still quite a bit younger than I am, but not in terms of accomplishments.

mark73
12-08-2011, 01:59 AM
One reason the age is going up is because there is more money in the game then 20 years ago. So players are more willing to hang around.

Kat_YYZ
12-08-2011, 02:15 AM
People have a distorted sense of the meaning of the words "young" and "old."
Young people are whining that they're "old" when they turn 25. :rolleyes:

Professional cyclists, hockey players, football players, basketball players, boxers -- many of the best are between 25 and 35. Which athletes do you see being judged "too old" by 25? only gymnasts and figure skaters. Look at Didier Cuche -- 37 and still beating the younger guys on the ski hills.

mark73
12-08-2011, 09:40 AM
People have a distorted sense of the meaning of the words "young" and "old."
Young people are whining that they're "old" when they turn 25. :rolleyes:

Professional cyclists, hockey players, football players, basketball players, boxers -- many of the best are between 25 and 35. Which athletes do you see being judged "too old" by 25? only gymnasts and figure skaters. Look at Didier Cuche -- 37 and still beating the younger guys on the ski hills.

I thought I was old when I turned 20. :lol:
If I use old or young on this forum I mean relatively old or young. Professional athletes are definitely not old in the geriatric sense.

samanosuke
12-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Are that these guys from mugish Federer era when at their best tennis ages couldn't make break through, so they needed wait to become old and play in strongest era ever together with two Goats , Rafa and Nole at their peaks ?