Most butchered slam efforts of all time [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most butchered slam efforts of all time

12-06-2011, 08:43 PM
This thread is for slams where said player had a really good chance to win them, maybe looked in the best form out of the other players, but for one reason or another met a major hurdle and couldnt win.

This isnt just or mainly for players who fell badly in the final. Could be a hurdle in the start or in the middle of the tournament.

08 Australian Open, Andy Murray lost in 4 tight sets to Jo Wilfried Tsonga in round 1, who went on to reach the final. Murray was one of the favourites going in. He may have done very well if not for meeting Tsonga. That draw could have opened up for him, and id have given him odds on to beat Nadal in the semi if he made it that far.

David Nalbandian 03 US Open. Not much needs to be written. How different history could have been.

09 French Open, Rafael Nadal. Theres a lot of debate over whether Nadal was injured or not in this tournament, but whatever the result, he couldnt overcome the speed bump of Soderling in RD 4. Up till that point in the tourney, and before, he was heavy favourite.

09 US Open, Federer. Despite a hurdle against Soderling which neally went to a 5th, Fed looked odds on to win this after dispatching Novak in the semis. Let things really get to him in the final and just melted down.

Tommy Hass, French Open 09. This could have been a good tourney for Tommy. Blew 2 sets and a break point lead to Federer.

Federer AO 05. No doubt I think, he was winning this edition had he taken his 4th set tiebreak match point. Huge turning point and another historic 3 slam season for Federer. No disrespect to Hewitt, but he wasnt beating Fed in the final. How much confidence would he have had in the 05 FO semi against Nadal had he won this championship?

Mark Phillipooosis, 03 Wimbledon. Had it not been for the GOAT, and 2 very tight sets, Philipousis could have had his much deserved slam. Very clutch S&V play from Fed here.

Nalbandian Wimbledon 02/AO 06/FO 06 - he was beaten by the better player all 3 times, but a long semi in 02, up 2 sets and a break, and up set and a break in 06 slams respectively represents some big missed chances to go much further.

Djokovic 09 FO - big missed chance here. Had broken through in 08 doing very well against Nadal in the semi. But alas..

Djokovic 11 FO - still not quite to terms with what happened here. Think the 4 day layoff cost him here. Nevertheless, a Nadal esque clay season but couldnt clean up at the big one despite his pigeon (of that season) lying in wait in the final.

Andy Murray 07 AO, was never beating Federer or Gonzalez, but still, missed a big chance in a highly entertaining 4th round match vs Nadal. Oh how I miss that attacking version of Murray.

09 AO Federer, wow. Not vintage Fed at times, being down 2 sets to 0 against Berdych. But he still was good enough to win this.

05/07/09 AO - Roddick - wow. Poor Roddick. Should have had at least a final down under.

07 US Open Djokovic - really should have got his first slam here I feel. Fed was clutch.

Granando Tobasco, Nikolay Davydenko and others have never reached a final, but have all had stupendous form going into several slams and let themselves down.

2010 AO - Davydenko. Looked form winning the 09 WTF and titles going in to AO, but yet again, butchered it.

Footnote for Fed, 08 Wimbledon, 2010 Wimbledon and others were all tournaments he looked odds on to win.

Juan Martine Del Potro - 2009 French Open. Lots of guys could have won this tournament, but Del Potro should have done better here.

Pat Rafter 2000 WImbledon. Chance to go 2 sets to love up. Would still back Sampy though even with his dicky ticker.

Andre Agassi also could have won 2000 Wimbledon.

Tim Henman/Pat Rafter 2001 Wimbledon. Close yet so far for both.

Rainer Shitler 2003 Australian Open - melted down into nothing in the final.

Any others are welcome.

Henry Chinaski
12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Coria RG 2004

/thread

ZaZoo)
12-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Davydenko AO 2010, he could and should've won that match with Fed but instead let himself mentally crumble under importance of GS match as usual leading into a massive meltdown after a great start (set and a break with a BP for double break), even resulting in 1 bagel set, it was a missed chance of his career to win a GS as I think that match was the biggest hurdle on his way to a title.

JurajCrane
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Federer US Open 09 and Davydenko Australian Open 10 firstly come to my mind. Fedex 2 points from being 2 sets up in the final, leading also 2-1 and have a tiebreak.

Davydenko was at peak form, won London masters 09, then Doha 10 and seemed very strong. Being set and break up against Federer in major actually means something. But he screwed it up and Fed took the title.

Also Roland Garros this year, I was expecting Djokovic to beat everybody, Nadal and Federer too. Pity for him, he wasn´t able to beat Roger.

And of course Federer at Australian Open 2005. This one doesn´t need to be described.

Guga_fan
12-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Murray AO 09 was a missed chance for sure, should never have lost the match to Verdasco. He would definitely beat Nadal in the semis, don't know about the final against Fed though.

Topspindoctor
12-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Every Olderer slam final :sad: FedGOD choked every time, even in RG 2008 :sobbing:

shiaben
12-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Interesting thread.

Maybe holds true for some of the players.

As for Murray, he probably would have lost to the other top players had he gone deep.

BAMJ6
12-07-2011, 12:18 AM
James Blake

2007 US Open

He has more than that one, but I forgive him because Andre Agassi would be involved in the slams

Edda
12-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Federer-U.S. Open 2009-Both Delpo and Fed played awful, but Fed's fifth set was an absolute disaster.

12-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Cant help but think Roddick made a meal of the 2003 Australian Open draw.

Needed to come back from 2 sets to 0 down to beat Boozny in the Fourth round.

Needed a further 5 sets and the longest 5th set in AO history to beat El Ain Annoying 21-19.

By that stage, he must have been spent for his semi final with Rainer Shitler which he dropped in 4 sets.

An Agassi-Roddick slam final would have been great to see, just before the Fed era kicked off. We were robbed of probably the only chance of seeing it.

12-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Along those same lines, Lleyton Hewitt was looking gold to go deep in the 2003 Australian Open, until losing 2 tiebreaks to El Aynaoui and the match in four sets. The first 3 sets went to breakers.

Also deprived of a Roddick - Hewitt quarter final. We would see the match in the semis, two years later though.

End of Hewitt El Aynaoui;

xvG64GWiIaU

rocketassist
12-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Davydenko in 2006 AO and 2010 AO. Especially the latter.

Roddick at 2010 Wimbledon. He'd have probably made the final had he took care of Lu.

12-07-2011, 02:21 AM
Djokovic in 2007 Us Open.

Basket full of set points in both first set tiebreaks.

Should have won that final :wavey:

Mountaindewslave
12-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Every Olderer slam final :sad: FedGOD choked every time, even in RG 2008 :sobbing:

:haha:

Mountaindewslave
12-07-2011, 03:17 AM
Davydenko in 2006 AO and 2010 AO. Especially the latter.

Roddick at 2010 Wimbledon. He'd have probably made the final had he took care of Lu.

more like Roddick 2009 Wimbledon.... seriously he had it in the bag and probably had the best form of anybody that tournament. he even outplayed Federer in the final but when some has you in the H2H that badly, I guess sometimes it's hard to get past...

really hoping that a Goran miracle can happen for Roddick at Wimbledon. he deserves a Wimbledon title after all of his grass court success. multiple Queens titles, 3 Wimbledon finals. just is wrong. tennis gods make it right and bring Roddick back to Wimbledon 2012 with his old form and hunger

mooncreek
12-07-2011, 03:38 AM
I've got two who really butchered the 2010 Australian Open. Davydenko was the in-form player but he lost to Federer, which is a bit excusable. But the one I really think of with that particular tournament is Soderling. I still don't know what on earth was in his head for that first round match against Marcel Granollers in blowing a two set to none lead. Tsonga was the main beneficiary of this, getting to the semis.

Then you have this year, Soderling the in form player but makes a mess of things against Dolgopolov so there's something about him and this tournament.

Coria, 2004 French Open. Rather obvious why.

12-07-2011, 03:44 AM
Roddick would also probably feel he should have won 04 Wimbledon.

Dropped only 1 set on the road to the final, won the first set in the final, but lost it all from there with some clutch Fed play and annoying rain delays.

acionescu
12-07-2011, 05:39 AM
There is nothing compared to Coria RG2004.

Murray AO2008 might be a distant second

MIMIC
12-07-2011, 05:48 AM
Djokovic: U.S. Open 2007
Haas/del Potro: French Open 2009
Roddick: Wimbledon 2009 :haha:
Djokovic: French Open 2011

tripwires
12-07-2011, 06:12 AM
First thing that comes to mind: Fed FO 2011. I thought he'd beat Nadal in the final if he beat djokovic in the semi. Sure, it was still Nadal on clay, but 1) Roger looked good throughout the entire tournament and played fantastic tennis against Nole; and 2) Nadal didn't look like he was anywhere near his best.

This was probably his best chance of beating Nadal at RG.

Also: Roddick 2009 Wimbledon. Dismissed Murray in glorious fashion, outplayed Roger in the final, but couldn't go past the finish line in the end.

Jimnik
12-07-2011, 06:26 AM
This thread is for slams where said player had a really good chance to win them, maybe looked in the best form out of the other players, but for one reason or another met a major hurdle and couldnt win.
Pre-tournament favorites who failed to win were rare in Fed/Nadal era 2003-2011.

Only exceptions:

Roddick - Wimb 2003
Coria - RG 2004
Federer - AO 2005
Federer - AO 2008
Nadal - USO 2008
Nadal - RG 2009
Federer - USO 2009
Federer - AO 2011

GSMnadal
12-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Nadal Wimbledon 2011, how he lost to Djokovic on grass I'll never know :facepalm:

Nadal US Open 2011, injured Djokovic, put a huge mental beatdown on him in the third set. Looked like he was going to run away with it, got breadsticked :facepalm:

Coria 2004 :sad:

nalbyfan
12-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Edberg vs Chang in RG

Fuser59
12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Safin AO 2002...sad one...ToJo played the match of his life

Goran W '98....playing the best tennis of his life....(better than 2001...but one freak was better..)

Coria 2004....RG

Ferrero RG 2002...A. Costa schooled him although Juan Carlos was the man of the tournament...

Fed US 2009...still can get over that one...should've been No 16..AO '10=17

leng jai
12-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Tommy Haas RG 09 is something not even I would say is remotely suitable for this thread.

Try AO 2002 - that was cock up of the highest order for Tommy.

Tennisfan26
12-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Murray 2009 USO
...and then in terms of best position to win during the tournament, not before, Roddick Wimbledon 2009

asmazif
12-07-2011, 11:26 AM
If you're gonna name Schuettler, you might as well name every slam finalist of all time.

Egreen
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
QHiSIb_HCEg

tyruk14
12-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Nadal Wimbledon 2011, how he lost to Djokovic on grass I'll never know :facepalm:

Nadal US Open 2011, injured Djokovic, put a huge mental beatdown on him in the third set. Looked like he was going to run away with it, got breadsticked :facepalm:

Coria 2004 :sad:

Nadal served 78% of his first serves in throughout that Wimbledon final with an average first service speed of 118MPH.

Source: Official tournament website.

Point: Nadal had no business winning a final when his opponent was returning serve so well. It was a beatdown. There's being a Nadulltard and being a Nadulltard, and you're just being a fucking troll.

dodo
12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Djokovic: U.S. Open 2007
Haas/del Potro: French Open 2009
Roddick: Wimbledon 2009 :haha:
Djokovic: French Open 2011
hahaha
just keep drinking that haterade.

michellej
12-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Coria RG 2004

/thread

I watched the entire match and it was an amazing display of how mental a game tennis is. As Gaudio gained confidence and got the crowd on his side, Coria slowly fell apart and it was one of the most compelling slam finals I have watched. Coria's confidence and career fell apart after that match that he and l all of tennis expected him to win, and his career collapsed....permanently.

Kitty de Sade
12-07-2011, 11:20 PM
There is nothing compared to Coria RG2004.

Can't imagine a more clear cut scenario than this one.

Coria was basically untouchable on clay up to that point. Everyone (including the man himself) was convinced the result had basically been scripted at his conception.

(Imo) Outside of USO 2009, this was the greatest GS final result in history.

Topspindoctor
12-07-2011, 11:25 PM
I bet Olderer is still kicking himself over USO 2009 :lol: what a horrendous choke. Could have won all 4 slams in a row...

alfonsojose
12-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Safin AO 2002. Pussy and GS trophies together.. bad idea.

Jimnik
12-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Coria was basically untouchable on clay up to that point. Everyone (including the man himself) was convinced the result had basically been scripted at his conception.
Not untouchable. Federer brushed him aside in Hamburg the week before and Henman nearly Verkerked him again. His mental weaknesses were exposed several times before.

niksonion
12-08-2011, 09:03 PM
All of examples mentioned are nothing compared to Coria at french that year...the whole life crushed on him that afternoon,and he never recovered from that,unbelieveble how hard was for him to play tennis , real tennis from there..
Other examples Nole 07 at US and A Rod 09 in Wimby- well done Roger,You liked that presents so much...

Hensafmurrafter
12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Not untouchable. Federer brushed him aside in Hamburg the week before and Henman nearly Verkerked him again. His mental weaknesses were exposed several times before.

Yes, Henman was up a set and a break in that match before Coria finally got it together. That slam was wide open for a lot of people.

Hahaha... Verkerked.

arm
12-09-2011, 07:40 PM
In the last few years it has got to be Roger in USO 2009. It surely doesn't hurt as much as some of his losses to Rafa, but he must :facepalm: every time he thinks about it.

12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Its interesting when you think how close Roger was to winning 5 slams in a row. A few points here or there in AO 09 and USO 09 and he would have done it.

Yet of course that still wouldnt be his peak as he was playing nowhere near his 2005 level.

It does prove actually that sometimes slam results arent indicitive of a peak.

Johnny Groove
12-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Roddick Wimbledon 2009 and Coria RG 2004 come to mind.

Nalbandian, just about every slam he played in from Wimbledon 02 - Aussie 09, particularly RG 06, and AO 08.

GSMnadal
12-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Its interesting when you think how close Roger was to winning 5 slams in a row. A few points here or there in AO 09 and USO 09 and he would have done it.

Yet of course that still wouldnt be his peak as he was playing nowhere near his 2005 level.

It does prove actually that sometimes slam results arent indicitive of a peak.

The only reason Roger won Roland Garros/Wimbledon was because of Rafa's injury. That's why he was closer in 09 than during his peak.

TBkeeper
12-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Davydenko choking the FO 2007 THAT WAS A FACEPALM OF HIGHEST ORDER !
and too AO 06 and 10 (facepalm) such a choke ...

Johnny Groove
12-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Everybody should have won the AO 06. Nadal was out, Fed was shit. Davydenko had Fed dead to rights and even Baghdatis had him on the ropes. Not to mention Fat Dave choking horribly in the SF :facepalm:

That slam was wide open.

Murray, my God, he's had a bunch.

BAMJ6
12-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Everybody should have won the AO 06. Nadal was out, Fed was shit. Davydenko had Fed dead to rights and even Baghdatis had him on the ropes. Not to mention Fat Dave choking horribly in the SF :facepalm:

That slam was wide open.

Everyone was saying AO 06 was crap. If true then it's got me curious about Andre Agassi. It's a damn shame his raquetball injury before the YEC crippled him enough to lose to Davy and miss his best slam on his farewell tour.

What seed would Andre have been and how well would he have done with his form closer to the summer 05 than the one that started the end of his career

12-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Everyone was saying AO 06 was crap. If true then it's got me curious about Andre Agassi. It's a damn shame his raquetball injury before the YEC crippled him enough to lose to Davy and miss his best slam on his farewell tour.

What seed would Andre have been and how well would he have done with his form closer to the summer 05 than the one that started the end of his career

Not really, though it wasnt always his most inspiring tennis, Fed was always winning that tournament.

02-03-2012, 01:26 AM
I think Murray 2012 AO could be put there now.

I dont know if he would have beat Nadal in the final, however he was the form player going in.

02-03-2012, 01:28 AM
We have also seen further vindication of Djokovic Roland Garros 2011.

Who knows, historically, maybe, depending on what happens this year, it was a chance for him to do what only Rod Laver has.

Win 2 Calendar Slams.

Back to back no less.

Boy would that bring him into GOAT discussions in a big way.

selyoink
02-03-2012, 02:34 AM
For me the two that come to mind are Coria 2004 and Ferrero in 2002 at the French.

Davy was in great form in 2010 AO but even if he gets past Fed he still had to survive Djokovic and Murray so he had a tough road. I actually think 2006 AO was his best chance. If he gets past Fed there it is Kiefer and Baghdatis for the title. A dream SF and F opponents.

Davy also missed a great opportunity at 05 RG losing to the doper Puerta in 5 sets. Nadal was shaky in his first final. I still think Nadal would beat Davy as that was Davy's breakthrough event but he should have made the final.

ballbasher101
02-03-2012, 03:07 AM
I still can't believe Nalbandian has failed to win a major. He had match points in the semis against Roddick at the 2003 US open if I remember correctly. Against Hewitt he pretty much shit himself with fear in the Wimbledon final. Nothing comes close to Coria's capitulation. Talk about a devastating defeat, that was brutal. Federer's lack of balls has cost him 2 or three majors over the years. He pretty much gave the Pony the 5th set in the US open final. He had done the same thing at the OZ against Nadal that year, just giving away the fifth without a fight. Very poor from Federer. He has though won majors he should have not won. French open 09, Haas had him but he let him go. Wimbledon 09 Roddick had him but again he was let go. So in the end it has maybe balanced out for Federer.

Jimnik
02-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Safin AO 2002 and Ferrero RG 2002 piss me off so much.

So many players butchered AO 2003. In the top half, Safin, Krajicek and Roddick all injured/fatigued themselves allowing Schuettler a free pass. Ferrero didn't hold his nerve in two TBs against Ferreira. Everything fell into place for Agassi.

azure
02-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Davydenko AO 2010, he could and should've won that match with Fed but instead let himself mentally crumble under importance of GS match as usual leading into a massive meltdown after a great start (set and a break with a BP for double break), even resulting in 1 bagel set, it was a missed chance of his career to win a GS as I think that match was the biggest hurdle on his way to a title.

Yeah that's the first thing that came to mind when reading the thread. He went into the AO on a massive hot streak, then just blew it in that match.

Mountaindewslave
02-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Murray AO 09 was a missed chance for sure, should never have lost the match to Verdasco. He would definitely beat Nadal in the semis, don't know about the final against Fed though.

you are insane if you think Murray would have beaten Nadal there hahahahhaha

02-03-2012, 07:05 AM
I think he probably would have.

He was a superior hardcourt player at that time.

aulus
02-03-2012, 07:47 AM
A good example from an earlier period is Stefan Edberg in 1990 USO.

Edberg was the #1 player in the world after beating his great rival Becker in Wimbledon, won LA and then Cincinnati, losing only 2 sets in Cincinnati and destroying Gilbert in the final 6-1, 6-1. His win in Long Island gave him 4 consecutive titles in the summer.

#1 seed for USO, but lost in the 1st round in straights to Alexander Volkov. :o

Edberg was my favorite player at the time. :sad:

Jimnik
02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Boris Becker butchered several Wimbledons including

1987 (v embarrassing)

Should have won at least 5 times.

BackhandMissile
02-03-2012, 01:03 PM
RG 09 is a good call. With Nadal out of the way it was open for many players. Haas almost had Federer, but I think the guy who really missed out was Del Potro. He had a tight 5-setter with Federer and should have won the final had he won that 5th set.

Guga_fan
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
you are insane if you think Murray would have beaten Nadal there hahahahhaha

Murray usually plays great tennis at the AO. If Verdasco could almost beat Nadal why couldn't Murray who had beaten him in their last GS match and who beat him in the same tournament the next year?:confused:

Still, it would be a tough road to the title, with Tsonga, Nadal and Federer.

r2473
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Coria RG 2004

/thread

Haven't read the entire thread, but I'd add in McEnroe RG 1984.

02-03-2012, 09:33 PM
RG 09 is a good call. With Nadal out of the way it was open for many players. Haas almost had Federer, but I think the guy who really missed out was Del Potro. He had a tight 5-setter with Federer and should have won the final had he won that 5th set.

True, it would have been a great final, both players coming off 5 setters.

02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Ill also vouch for Fernando Gonzalez 2009 French Open.

He was up in that 5th set against Soderling and should have won.

He wouldnt have beaten Federer in the final, but he might have beaten Del Potro.