Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Argentina - To be a tennis fan in a Football country

viruzzz
12-06-2011, 08:12 AM
After the sucess of this thread (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=193588), where I share my opinions about how we, argies live and feel the Davis Cup. I would rather explain the situation of this sport here, in my country.

I'd really like you to do the same. It's always really cool to show how everyone lives tennis his/her way. For some people, like me, one of the solutions is to enter MTF all day.

Okay... I live in Buenos Aires, the bigest city of Argentina, the only city with an ATP Tour level tournament. We also have the only challenger played in the year.

The most important tennis clubs are in the same neighborhood "Palermo".
Tennis Club Argentino, Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club and Vilas Club.
The ATP Buenos Aires is played in the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis club and the Copa Topper (Buenos Aires challenger) in the Vilas Club (as you can imagine, this club is owned by Guillermo Vilas).
The Tennis club Argentino hold the 25.000 ITF Women's circuit this year.
Red one - Vilas Club
Blue one - Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club
Green one - Tennis Club Argentino

As you can see, the three clubs are near each other.

Let's suppose a normal tennis week during the ATP Buenos Aires.
The most important sport-oriented TV channel (TyC Sports / TyC Sports HD) would usually broadcast the tournament final rounds (from QFs to the Final). There will be a big promotion and TV campaign in the sports channels, a good amount of advertisment in the streets.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3d7bzvc45GI/TVGr-TC17UI/AAAAAAAAGUA/PeTQ1NnbNBc/s1600/Copa-Claro-2011.jpg
That was the last Copa Claro announcment. There was the same in magazines, street-ads and so... I think there was one different one with those players + Dolgopolov
Like in the world (I think), qualies are free.
And the prizes are around something kinda: 20 to 80 US$ on the first 3 days (You can buy best places or just the Day-Time or Night-Time). The last days the prizes are from 25 to 115 US$.
This is the only time of the year where you'd see the stadium in the Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis club, at it's full capacity.

As you can see, tennis got a decent broadcast and importance during the big tournament.
During the challenger the things changes a lot.
I mean, you'd see good adverts in the sports magazines, like this one, taken from GRIP Magazine, the most important tennis magazine, monthly editions, easy to find, etc...
That was the Back-Cover.

But, you won't see so many things on the street or in regular magazines.
TyC Sports would broadcast the event like the Copa Claro, the last 3 days would be broadcasted, you'd get the QFs, SFs and the final.

Don't expect full-stadiums during this tournament, maybe in the final, sure, but not during the week. Even with the low prizes (18 US$, 25 in the SF and Final Rounds), you won't see so many people round there.

The future and ITF WC events are always free.
Don't expect ball boys and that kinda stuff, 2 players, one umpire, and let's play.
Well... The 25.000 ITF WC event had all that stuff in the final, but only in that match.

So, at the end of the year, the city hold these events, including the Women's Circuit.
1 ATP World Tour 250.
1 ATP Challenger Tour.
1 Future.
2 ITF Women's Circuit events.

But here's the thing:
There aren't so many tennis fans.
A weird fact, there are a good amount of people who enjoy playing tennis, but, even them aren't probably tennis fans.
If I compare my 100 Facebook Friends, only 2 of them are tennis fans, and 4 of them knows well about the sport. I think this stats could make some numbers, remember I am a big fan and I'm from the biggest city in the country.
So, the place to talk about tennis is during this tournaments. If you like tennis, you gotta go to the tournaments, specially qualies, because they're free, no excuses.

The thing changes a little during the Exhos.
Look at this:
http://www.ticketek.com.ar/index.php
You'd see Monfils' face right there in the website.
People care so much about that exhibition event (Copa Peugeot). I expect a full stadium for that event.
This year, we hold the Sampras and Agassi tour, but, sadly there wasn't so many people, for me, that's a shame for the country and a lack of respect for the sport. I was embarrased.

Of course, as I said before in the other thread, Davis Cup is a different story. The country is united to win the cup. We live the cup like no other fans.

I hope you can enjoy this thread about tennis life in Argentina.
I don't play tennis, i'm just a fan, I love the sport and it's so difficult to share my feelings with the argentine people.
I think the other argentinian members can agree with me and with what I said here in this thread.

Personal contribution:
This is a video I recorded during the Copa Topper (Buenos Aires challenger), the 2nd day of tournament (Tuesday). Not so good quality (or players) but you could see how a tennis fan could live it, near the players (remember there's not so many people in the stadiums), with a good atmosphere.
3XokQIWO3q0

superganon
12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
sure it would be fun for argentinean tennis and for all its glory to win a slam. but ur not alone feeling alone about ur intrests. here in sweden its the same about tennis.

we only care when there are home events or a BIG break through like soderling in a gs or a tourney win. thats ALL that matter.we dont care about losses, injurys and so forth. i feel u man u might have it worse since argentina is like only football.

abhinav_shaan
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
dude.. come on... u atleast have players near the top..
try being a tennis fan in a completely cricket obsessed country..!
here.. the only tennis news that make headlines are paes/bhupathi doubles ..!
i lurk in these forums almost every day just to avoid the incessant cricket talk..

Intheshadows
12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
When you think about it there probably isn't a single country that has tennis as their #1 sport.

nalbyfan
12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Same in France, people are obsessed by this stupid football and rugby sometimes

helvet empire
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Same in France, people are obsessed by this stupid football and rugby sometimes

tennis is wayyyyyyyyy more popular in France than Argentina or India.

nalbyfan
12-06-2011, 12:46 PM
tennis is wayyyyyyyyy more popular in France than Argentina or India.

Oh !! are you sure about it ? I only know people who don't care about tennis and never watch it on TV

helvet empire
12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Oh !! are you sure about it ? I only know people who don't care about tennis and never watch it on TV

pretty sure yes, even though soccer is obviously more popular. It's pretty much a tie with rugby I think. I think tennis federation is about 1 million players in France, that's not too bad!

Vilnietė
12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I guess in Switzerland tennis would be one of the most popular sports...

Btw, in my country tennis is nothing to compare with basketball but I couldn't complain... I think that popularity is proportional to the results. And the results are improving :) I know quite some people who like watching tennis, also playing sometimes, new tennis courts are built, we have live tennis broadcasts on tv and all the main news in our newspapers, and we even have some people who are complaining about tennis becoming more popular :D

Sunset of Age
12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Pretty much the same over here in The Netherlands. All 'sport' you will ever see on the TV over here is football, football, football, in winter time speed skating (:zzz:), in the summer hockey.
But to be objective - whenever Robin Haase somehow miraculously manages to win a match, we get to see at least 30 seconds of it! :bowdown: :D

viruzzz
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
i lurk in these forums almost every day just to avoid the incessant cricket talk..
Exactly!
But, take a look at this.
In the good new-years when we've got many players in the top ten (Gaudio, Coria, Nalby, etc), we had so many tennis news and an important tennis-vibe.

I also wanted to say that it's probably true that tennis isn't the N°1 sport in any country, but, just wanted to share how's the thing here.
I mean, never a top 5 player in the country coming to the Buenos Aires ATP, that's kinda sad.

Also, I just can't imagine how the thing was 30-40 years ago, without internet and Cable TV.
Oh lord, It just hurts to imagine.

Henry Chinaski
12-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Argentina had 21 futures this year. Surprised only 1 was in BA

DanaKz
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I am waiting for threads:
Australia - To be a tennis fan in a Rugby country
India - To be a tennis fan in a Cricket country
Sweden - To be a tennis fan in a Ice Hockey country
Korea - To be a tennis fan in a Short Track country
USA - To be a tennis fan in a NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, MLS country
China - To be a tennis fan in a Table Tennis, Diving, Badminthon, Gymnastic etc.etc.etc. country

Agrajag
12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Norwegian. I win.

We might get the match point from a grand slam final on televison. NRK (Norways BBC) bought the rights to Wimbledon a couple years ago, and I was so pumped. We got tennis on two free TV-channels most of the day, and free streaming of all courts on the web. That lasted two years before they sold the rights to keep eurovision. Not a joke unfortunately.

The reason is of course because we have no players. It is almost hilarious how bad we are at this sport. As far as I know Christian Ruud is our only top 100 player, and he never won an ATP-tournament. Sometimes a supposedly talented youngster will get hyped for a couple of minutes or on a sports show, but this is usually what they accomplish:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Br/S/Sander-Brendmoe.aspx?t=pa

*By the way, we don't really have any great athletes besides winter sports. The reason we thrive there is because no one else cares.

merryploughbhoy
12-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Ahh, i was just going to ask you about the auction for next years IPL. :wavey:

out_here_grindin
12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
When you think about it there probably isn't a single country that has tennis as their #1 sport.

discussed here (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=163915)

Har-Tru
12-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I wish Argentina all the best, I hope they get the DC they deserve.

But they're not the centre of the earth... the same things could be said about pretty much any other nation in the world.

viruzzz
12-06-2011, 06:20 PM
China - To be a tennis fan in a Table Tennis, Diving, Badminthon, Gymnastic etc.etc.etc. country

That would be fuckin awesome.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlfjKa3LvzZIHtQGbVmhv3sKnknHAOw fi4MwlxXtTD9hyN8k5AtdaxMLbh

Helevorn
12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Norwegian. I win.

We might get the match point from a grand slam final on televison. NRK (Norways BBC) bought the rights to Wimbledon a couple years ago, and I was so pumped. We got tennis on two free TV-channels most of the day, and free streaming of all courts on the web. That lasted two years before they sold the rights to keep eurovision. Not a joke unfortunately.

The reason is of course because we have no players. It is almost hilarious how bad we are at this sport. As far as I know Christian Ruud is our only top 100 player, and he never won an ATP-tournament. Sometimes a supposedly talented youngster will get hyped for a couple of minutes or on a sports show, but this is usually what they accomplish:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Br/S/Sander-Brendmoe.aspx?t=pa

*By the way, we don't really have any great athletes besides winter sports. The reason we thrive there is because no one else cares.
You have still Ulrikke Eikeri in the women's field, I love her :D

Sham Kay
12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
That, basically.

It's the same where I live, Footie, footie footie. Tennis is an enigma of a sport. Appreciated all over the world where even sports like Football (/Soccer) is completely ignored in certain parts, but Tennis is never the biggest thing in any country. Many people all over the world acknowledge tennis due to the hype created by the grand slams and the biggest players and that tennis has always been one of the traditionally known sports.. I mean, nearly everyone knows who Federer is.. but those same people might not even know how the sport works.

For example, last year I was watching the WTF 2010 Final with a group of friends in a restaurant. I was the only one watching it by the way. I was sitting too far away and with my crappy eyesight was unable to see the score. I asked a couple friends (who are completely ignoring the screen) to tell me what the score says and they say- "errr, oh Federers playing! Nadal has 3, 6, 1 aaand 0 .. Federer has 6, 3, 2 and 15." Sounds incomprehensible until you realise they were reading the score sideways.. should have been 3-6, 6-3, 1-2 (0-15). Pretty sure I would have foamed at the mouth if it wasn't already stuffed with a kebab.

viruzzz
12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
For example, last year I was watching the WTF 2010 Final with a group of friends in a restaurant. I was the only one watching it by the way. I was sitting too far away and with my crappy eyesight was unable to see the score. I asked a couple friends (who are completely ignoring the screen) to tell me what the score says and they say- "errr, oh Federers playing! Nadal has 3, 6, 1 aaand 0 .. Federer has 6, 3, 2 and 15." Sounds incomprehensible until you realise they were reading the score sideways.. should have been 3-6, 6-3, 1-2 (0-15). Pretty sure I would have foamed at the mouth if it wasn't already stuffed with a kebab.

Dude, that was pretty damn funny.

Vilnietė
12-06-2011, 08:51 PM
it reminded me... Once on some small radio station I heard that player A won against palyer B with result sixty-three to sixty-one :D

DanaKz
12-06-2011, 09:32 PM
it reminded me... Once on some small radio station I heard that player A won against palyer B with result sixty-three to sixty-one :D

Basketball country!

abhinav_shaan
12-07-2011, 01:26 AM

damn funny. :haha:

tripwires
12-07-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't have much to complain about here. We have zero tennis players but the ATP coverage on cable is pretty good - we get full Grand Slams and Masters tournaments and selected 500 and 250 tournaments from QF onwards. WTA coverage on Eurosport is pretty bad though, but I don't follow it as much as ATP so it doesn't annoy me that much. I don't read the newspapers and I don't listen to mainstream radio or watch the news so I don't know what's reported and I don't care. :P There's a sizeable group of people here who are passionate about tennis - I've met a few people who live, sleep, breathe and eat tennis. It's pretty fun.

I also just found out a few months ago about an ATP Challenger in Singapore. And there's some WTA exhibition tournament coming up next weekend - the response seems pretty lukewarm actually based on the fact that the tickets are not sold out yet, but I bought my tickets ages ago and I can't wait to go! :D

Football is of course the most popular sport here, but I think for a small Asian country with next to 0 professional players, the level of interest is pretty decent.

emotion
12-07-2011, 01:37 PM

I think MLS is struggling more here than tennis...

bokehlicious
12-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I guess in Switzerland tennis would be one of the most popular sports...

Not really. Still way below football, hockey and alpine skiing.

viruzzz
12-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Not really. Still way below football, hockey and alpine skiing.

Really? I'm curious about that...
Would you tell us more? How's the "Sport-popularity distribution" round there.
What does the news say... etc.

bokehlicious
12-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Really? I'm curious about that...
Would you tell us more? How's the "Sport-popularity distribution" round there.
What does the news say... etc.

Of course Federer is by far the biggest Swiss sportsman and makes the headlines quite often. But in term of sports popularity, football and hockey are way above anything else.

HKz
12-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Of course not, same thing with golf. When you have "elitest" type sports like these, it is mostly played and viewed by the upper class, which is certainly never the majority in any country.

arm
12-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Same thing here in Portugal and I kind of like it. I like it that tennis is my thing rather than part if my culture.

Sunset of Age
12-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Same thing here in Portugal and I kind of like it. I like it that tennis is my thing rather than part if my culture.

Did I just catch you on some kind of an 'elitist' approach? :D
Can't say I disagree. :hatoff: ;)

Pirata.
12-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I think MLS is struggling more here than tennis...

idts, MLS is huge in Latino communities here and slowly gaining more coverage all over--I think it's third most attended sporting event after baseball and football. Big games get ESPN coverage and they are always playing EPL, La Liga and CL games on ESPN and Fox Sports.

Matt-TennisFan24
12-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey there :)

I'm from Buenos Aires too (not the city, the province - I live in Quilmes) and I agree that sometimes tennis over here is very much ignored for having so many top players in the tour.

However, one thing I can notice, is that everyone COMPLETELY ignores the Grand Slams when no argentine is still in the tournament, but however, when Delpo was going to play the DELRAY BEACH final (a totally unimportant tournament), everyone was talking about him, he was being mentioned in the radio, and even Direct TV Sports picked up the coverage of the final, just because Delpo was there.

This just truly sucks. I know we're a nationalist country, but hell, you don't need an Argentine player on your TV just to watch tennis. But well, I'm sure the attention tennis gets in Argentina is much better than in other countries. For example, I know that even big-tennis countries like USA don't even have full-coverage of matches sometimes (for example, I always hear complaints from americans saying that Tennis Channel shows live but matches but delayed!).

Anyway, going to the tournaments-held-in-here topic, I've only gone to the Copa Claro this year (The Copa Topper hasn't really called my attention due to its players, and even less the ITFs and Futures). I had a great time, I went one day for the Qualies and another for the Night QFs. However, I noticed a big lack of organization (or maybe it was just my bitterness for the situation) because it was a rainy-day, and they kept us waiting like THREE hours to see if finally tennis was going to be played that night (and we couldn't even find a good place to eat because many of the food-selling-stores were closed down because they didn't have all their papers in order!). So, finally, NO tennis was played that night, and they told us to come next morning to watch the matches we had paid for, but only for the ones THEY wanted. We were going to watch Nalbandian-Robredo and Monaco-Wawrinka originally, but the reorganized schedule said us night-ticket-holders could only watch the Nalby match and a conclusion of Chela's one, while simultaneously the day-ticket-holders (who just werent able to finish watching the Chela match) got to watch the Wawrinka-Monaco match from the start (and many of us were more eager to watch Stan than David!!) They didn't even want to give us our money back if we couldnt come the next day or didn't like the way THEY scheduled the matches! We were all so angry... but after all, I managed to watch Stan-Pico but no other match.

In spite of that, I plan to come back next year (hope the tickets dont cost more than they did this year!). But yeah, that's what I noted, the crowd when it's full is great, but it sucks the lack of organization it had this year.

arm
12-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Did I just catch you on some kind of an 'elitist' approach? :D
Can't say I disagree. :hatoff: ;)

:eek: omg you're right! :o it is a bit elitist from me.

But you know what I mean. Sports involves a lot of arguing between opposite fans, I could not do that about tennis :tape: I just want it all for me, no need to discuss it with anyone. I have MTF for that with the HUGE benefit that I only "hear" as much as I want to and reply only to those who I feel like replying.

Besides, just like Nole , I wouldn't have liked it in the first place if it was that popular :tape:

fran70
12-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi Viruzzz,
Wel, you well know that football is the big sport in Argentina and everything is around it. And then come the rest where you can find specific fans of each one like Basketball, Rugby, Tennis, Golf, Car racing, etc... I don`t like the extreme fanatism on football and the way politics are involved on this sport so I try not to follow it that much any longer and love sports generally speaking. But this is just me.
But generally speaking I think that there`s a part of society that follows tennis and know of the sports. I like to go to the quallies even of small tournaments to see new players. And even on the quallies of the ATP Buenos Aires you can see crowds of people because it`s free (good way to promote the tournament). And this is not only in Argentina where tennis is in the shaddow of other popular sports as it was mentioned before. And aswell that happens all around the world that people generally speaking follow a sport when it is being succesful and forget about it when is it not in the best days.
I travelled a bit and in Wimbledon for example when you talk with people they only know about the players that do it well in their tournament but don`t have a clue of what happens in other tournaments the rest of the year. The only country where I found people outside of a tennis court really literate with tennis was in Australia (in Melbourne but not sure how it`s like in other big cities).

Aphex
12-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Swedish tennis has mono. Hopefully it will recover for Rotterdam next year.

viruzzz
12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
I like to go to the quallies even of small tournaments to see new players. And even on the quallies of the ATP Buenos Aires you can see crowds of people because it`s free (good way to promote the tournament).
Hello Fran, thank you for your answer.
That's quite true, going to the qualies I knew and met some of the "young guns" from our junior tennis like Arguello, Schwartzman, Velotti, Pastor... It's the future and it's so cool to be into it. They usually recieve WC into the challengers main draws, that's also pretty good.

I travelled a bit and in Wimbledon for example when you talk with people they only know about the players that do it well in their tournament but don`t have a clue of what happens in other tournaments the rest of the year. The only country where I found people outside of a tennis court really literate with tennis was in Australia (in Melbourne but not sure how it`s like in other big cities).
Well... I envy you :D :worship: :worship:
My dream is to go to Wimbledon, and I really hope one day I'd do it.
You really surprise me with that... It's a bit difficult to believe, I mean... I usually know the whole field in Wimbledon singles' draw.
Well... I think I'd know it in time. I can dream.

However, one thing I can notice, is that everyone COMPLETELY ignores the Grand Slams when no argentine is still in the tournament, but however, when Delpo was going to play the DELRAY BEACH final (a totally unimportant tournament), everyone was talking about him, he was being mentioned in the radio, and even Direct TV Sports picked up the coverage of the final, just because Delpo was there.

Hello :D
True. I have DirecTV and I remember they broadcast the final only for Delpo beeing there.
I mean, it's quite good for his die-hard fans who can watch it via TV and not with a live-broadcasting in internet, but it's kinda weird how the people act.
The magazines made an article about Delpo's Delray Beach, and that article is bigger than Federer's one winning Paris... I mean, come on!

It surprises so much what you say about the lack of organization in the Copa Claro.
I didn't live that, but, knowing the country, I believe you. And it's not good...
Next years' field would be better than the last one. I hope you can go, it's gonna be well deserved. :D

Matt-TennisFan24
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Hello :D
True. I have DirecTV and I remember they broadcast the final only for Delpo beeing there.
I mean, it's quite good for his die-hard fans who can watch it via TV and not with a live-broadcasting in internet, but it's kinda weird how the people act.
The magazines made an article about Delpo's Delray Beach, and that article is bigger than Federer's one winning Paris... I mean, come on!

It surprises so much what you say about the lack of organization in the Copa Claro.
I didn't live that, but, knowing the country, I believe you. And it's not good...
Next years' field would be better than the last one. I hope you can go, it's gonna be well deserved. :D

Thanks :D Yes, I try to forget the incident from this year (In fact, even a man wanted to break everything until they gave our tickets back :eek:) That's so argentine-like, right? But yeah, this year is gonna be good, I hope Ferrer and Wawrinka will come, they're the ones who attract me the most of the field.

And I agree, I hate it when newspapers have like only a little square about the semis of the M1000 but a whole page when an argentine is doing well or when DC is getting closer. But that's why we have computers, right? Nobody needs newspapers anymore lol

Monfils
12-09-2011, 11:11 PM
It's so interesting to read that thread. I think tennis is popular where players are strong and as they are only few players who win the big tournaments or big competitions (as Davis Cup), its never the "most popular". Here in France we can watch on free TV only French Open and Davis Cup. This year we had in more Bercy semi and final & WTF final and that's all. However we have many good players, 4 in top 20, and tennis is the 2nd sport played in the country, behind football.
But it's not really popular, because we don't have a grand-slam winner. The newspaper talks so much about football, we haven't any TV or radio show. We have a good coverage from media, but people don't know many things about tennis but Federer & Nadal.
I mean, persons who are interested by sport may know Tsonga, Monfils & Gasquet and the best players in the world, but they won't know who won Wimbledon!

I love Argentina fans and the passion about Davis Cup, France is a country where Davis Cup is important but we haven't same fans. We have good supporters who travel but it's not like Argentina where there's really fervor.

But I think, if we get a grand slam winner as you had with Del Potro, it would be a superstar during many years and for all tournaments which he would play in France.

I would like tennis be more popular, but i don't want it would be the "most" popular because it would have all football issues and going to a tennis stadium wouldn't be as cool than it's actually.

By the way, I love going to Roland Garros and Bercy and I love french players ! Alleeeez !

fran70
12-10-2011, 11:51 AM
It's so interesting to read that thread. I think tennis is popular where players are strong and as they are only few players who win the big tournaments or big competitions (as Davis Cup), its never the "most popular". Here in France we can watch on free TV only French Open and Davis Cup. This year we had in more Bercy semi and final & WTF final and that's all. However we have many good players, 4 in top 20, and tennis is the 2nd sport played in the country, behind football.
But it's not really popular, because we don't have a grand-slam winner. The newspaper talks so much about football, we haven't any TV or radio show. We have a good coverage from media, but people don't know many things about tennis but Federer & Nadal.
I mean, persons who are interested by sport may know Tsonga, Monfils & Gasquet and the best players in the world, but they won't know who won Wimbledon!

I love Argentina fans and the passion about Davis Cup, France is a country where Davis Cup is important but we haven't same fans. We have good supporters who travel but it's not like Argentina where there's really fervor.

But I think, if we get a grand slam winner as you had with Del Potro, it would be a superstar during many years and for all tournaments which he would play in France.

I would like tennis be more popular, but i don't want it would be the "most" popular because it would have all football issues and going to a tennis stadium wouldn't be as cool than it's actually.

By the way, I love going to Roland Garros and Bercy and I love french players ! Alleeeez !

Hi there,
Nice post :). I spent 10 days in Paris recently and in Eurosports they broadcast only female matches but for some reason I ignore there were non male tournaments broadcasted :confused:.

France looked for me pretty much like things are in Argentina where people generally speaking prefer team sports (lot of handball, basketball, football and of course rugby on tv on these days). I was there during the Rugby World Cup final and lot of people supported their players arrival after the defeat near Place Concorde if I`m not wrong.

I would love to go to Roland Garros one day btw :).

Cheers

Fran

nalbyfan
12-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi there,
Nice post :). I spent 10 days in Paris recently and in Eurosports they broadcast only female matches but for some reason I ignore there were non male tournaments broadcasted :confused:.

France looked for me pretty much like things are in Argentina where people generally speaking prefer team sports (lot of handball, basketball, football and of course rugby on tv on these days). I was there during the Rugby World Cup final and lot of people supported their players arrival after the defeat near Place Concorde if I`m not wrong.

I would love to go to Roland Garros one day btw :).

Cheers

Fran

HI, did you enjoy your stay in Paris ? Hope you did

fran70
12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
HI, did you enjoy your stay in Paris ? Hope you did

Paris is the most beautiful city in the world :yeah:. That`s my 3rd time there and I can return there again and again and again :) . Definitely one day I will go there for Roland Garros.

nalbyfan
12-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your compliments, you're welcome over here. Did French people were amiable with you ? I know our reputation is not very good about it...but I always try to help foreign tourists when I can

cobalt60
12-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Fascinating to read about other countries. I should be glad for the tennis channel then and live streams;) And I have one friend at work I can discuss tennis with; then again he was an amateur player in his home country way back when :p

GugaF1
12-10-2011, 11:26 PM
Here in Brazil you have programs in the middle of the day discussing Foootball and players wives and who went out last night, which players are not training as hard, which players are looking 5 pounds fater from the previous week, pause, some Highlights about every major team's history same images we have seen it many years, Pause, talks some more about Ronaldo, a little bit about Ronaldinho, now, some 10 minutes dedicated judt to Neymar and so on.

A lot of sports programs, some I don't even know who they can be call that, have something like 5 sports "commentators" that really know how to talk in depth about one sport, can you guess which one it is? they can problably talk in deph about the National championship of 1960, but ask him won won the last GS. At least the cable TV coverage is good regarding tennis, can't complain, but if you are looking for it on the news or being discussed on sports programs, tough luck.

I don't really complain anymore, I think that is somewhat the tennis charm, is not a sport for the masses and one which most people just follow trough group sheep mentality. Tennis is usually all about the sport itself not much BS and I like it. The people who watch it usually do it as a hobby and because they are into the sport and not because of tribal reasons like oh, go Real Madrid and Bull sh*t like that.