How much would you bet on Federer not ever again winning a slam? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How much would you bet on Federer not ever again winning a slam?

fsoica
12-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Specify, discuss, and let all the replies here for eternity :)

I would not bet a dime on it...

KaiserT
12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Price it up (give odds for it) and I'll let you know...

fsoica
12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Price it up (give odds for it) and I'll let you know...

The title is not clear enough? What odds do you need? I am not a betting house, just a MTF member :)

KaiserT
12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
The title is not clear enough? What odds do you need? I am not a betting house, just a MTF member :)

No bet for me then :lol:

Orka_n
12-05-2011, 03:06 PM
You have to make up some odds or the topic really will have no point.

fsoica
12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Choose the odds at will and bet, stop whining :)

Sri
12-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I think he has good chance of winning more than one slam in the next couple of years.

What he can't do is dominate a season anymore.

KaiserT
12-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Max bet at 10/1 thanks.

tennishero
12-05-2011, 03:24 PM
pretty sure he'll win one next year

SetSampras
12-05-2011, 03:37 PM
He doesn't win next year, chances are good he never will again... So he has 4 shots

Everko
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Anything you want. He is not winning another slam. Nadal will be there to stop him

GSMnadal
12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
He doesn't win on next year, chances are good he never will again... So he has 4 shots

Federer isn't winning RG :lol:

so that's 3 shots. While we're at it, he isn't winning AO, Wimbledon and US Open either. I would bet an awful lot on it

merryploughbhoy
12-06-2011, 01:13 AM
I'd make the odds of Federer never winning another GS at 5/1. I would'nt bet against him unless the odds were better though, i'd be looking for better value.

Topspindoctor
12-06-2011, 01:18 AM
I would bet my parents' life. Pretty cheap bet if you ask me.

Fedex
12-06-2011, 01:23 AM
He doesn't win next year, chances are good he never will again... So he has 4 shots
Roger isn't Sampras. He can actually compete with the best players in the world still. Heck, if he gets an 02 USO type draw, he'd probably run through a slam without dropping a set. Pete needed 5 sets and all he could handle to beat Rusdeski. LMAO.

Ibracadabra
12-06-2011, 01:23 AM
you would get odds of about 4/1 for roger not winning a slam. I would bet nothing.

Federer_28
12-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Roger is in excellent shape and very durable . He has more than 4 shots left to win a GS

Mountaindewslave
12-06-2011, 02:18 AM
I am pretty confident he will win another slam. I think one more for his swansong, and then pack up the bags and onto new and big things, leaving behind the best legacy in tennis history and what will probably never be matched.

so I would be comfortable betting nothing

paseo
12-06-2011, 03:15 AM

You better start crying then, cause Fed will win The Golden CYGS next year.

Topspindoctor
12-06-2011, 03:17 AM
You better start crying then, cause Fed will win The Golden CYGS next year.

:lol: If I made that bet and Olderer won CYGS next year, I'd likely be laughing.

theseth1119
12-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Any GS win for Rogie would be great to see from this point on. Each one in its own way has historical significance. I'd love to see Wimbledon again personally!

stewietennis
12-06-2011, 03:51 AM
If he can still win the supposed "5th" grand slam, the World Tour Finals, he still has a shot.

Looking at his results last year, two Semis and a Finals, it's still looking pretty good when you compare it to the "previous year before the final slam" of other legends:
Becker - 1995 F & SF - then won his last major at Australian Open 1996
Sampras - 2001 4R, 4R & F - then won his final at US Open 2002
Agassi - 2002 QF & F - then won his last major at Australian Open 2003

Of course, he could easily stop winning majors altogether like some other legends
McEnroe - won majors in 1983 & 1984 then no more
Lendl - won majors in 1989 & 1990 then no more
Edberg - won majors in 1991 & 1992 then no more

Federer could go a maybe 2 seasons between majors which wouldn't be new – Becker had a 4 season drought, Agassi had 3, Wilander had 2 and a bunch had a year where they didn't win one.

SheenKJohn
12-06-2011, 03:54 AM

why dont you bet your own life ?

would be the cheapest I can ever think of.... :devil: :wavey:

MrChopin
12-06-2011, 04:01 AM
Anything you want. He is not winning another slam. Nadal will be there to stop him

The only thing less certain than Fed winning a slam is you being right in a prediction. I'd bet everything I have, including my life, just because you said it wouldn't happen.

Ajk822
12-06-2011, 05:10 AM
I think a more intriguing bet would be future slams over/under 1.5. I think he has one more in him, but 2? I don't know, that seems a bit tricky.

philosophicalarf
12-06-2011, 05:42 AM
I think a more intriguing bet would be future slams over/under 1.5. I think he has one more in him, but 2? I don't know, that seems a bit tricky.

For 2012 I'd put it something like....

50% 0
40% 1
8% 2
2% 3

If we see another slam season like of late, then 2013 would probably increase that 0 to 70%, 2014 to 90%.

By extension, that suggests approx 30% chance he wins no more.

Ajk822
12-06-2011, 05:59 AM
For 2012 I'd put it something like....

50% 0
40% 1
8% 2
2% 3

If we see another slam season like of late, then 2013 would probably increase that 0 to 70%, 2014 to 90%.

By extension, that suggests approx 30% chance he wins no more.

If that was an actual bet I think they would have to raise the odds on the over side to around 10 to 1. I'd probably throw 20 bucks on that, just because.

SetSampras
12-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Roger is in excellent shape and very durable . He has more than 4 shots left to win a GS

Shape doesn't guarantee slams though.. He looks like he ran out of gas at the USO.. Who knows how his shape holds up if he has to go 5. Its a bit different compared to faster point, short matches indoors

Federer_28
12-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Shape doesn't guarantee slams though.. He looks like he ran out of gas at the USO.. Who knows how his shape holds up if he has to go 5. Its a bit different compared to faster point, short matches indoors

He didn't ran out of gas at the US open, he had a mental lapse and couldn't finish the job .

and FYI the US open is a very fast court

shiaben
12-07-2011, 12:06 AM
After he ran out of gas. I'm not quite sure. Everything was looking great, the backhand was clicking, the footwork was there, the serve was reliable, but after seeing him run out of gas, I'm almost certain that 2012 will be his last year for a slam. He'll get a slam here, then end the next few year slam less and eventually retire. So either 17 or 18 slams, but no more. Even 20 would be a difficult stretch unless something miraculous happens and Nadal and Djokovic get career threatening injuries or a major drop in performance.

nalbyfan
12-07-2011, 08:29 AM
My own life...I'm so sure he'll never win a GS that I can bet it with no fear

ssj100
12-07-2011, 08:42 AM
My own life...I'm so sure he'll never win a GS that I can bet it with no fear

Same, except I wouldn't really do it!

tripwires
12-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I value the money that I work hard to earn, so I would bet exactly zero.

MatchFederer
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I value the money that I work hard to earn, so I would bet exactly zero.

Ahahaha.

First truly moralistic post of the thread. :D

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Roger isn't Sampras. He can actually compete with the best players in the world still. Heck, if he gets an 02 USO type draw, he'd probably run through a slam without dropping a set. Pete needed 5 sets and all he could handle to beat Rusdeski. LMAO.

Federer couldn't even handle a at his Peak Andre Agassi in 2001. I think Fed only won like 3 games lol and Pete found a way to beat him without Andre or Pete losing their serve! GOAT

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
You would think somebody would post that match on youtube but nobody wants to hurt Roger's Feelings! Agassi should have won that title he was clearly playing lights out tennis. If not for Sampras going into another gear and taking Agassi out of the match, Agassi would have easily won the title!

HKz
12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
I think he has good chance of winning more than one slam in the next couple of years.

What he can't do is dominate a season anymore.

this

Federer couldn't even handle a at his Peak Andre Agassi in 2001. I think Fed only won like 3 games lol and Pete found a way to beat him without Andre or Pete losing their serve! GOAT

I didn't realize SetSampras had a twin sister.

fmolinari2005
12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
You can tell one thing about Samprastards. They are losing confidence. At first there was Setsampras. Now we have Gamesampras. Next up: Pointsampras.

HKz
12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
You can tell one thing about Samprastards. They are losing confidence. At first there was Setsampras. Now we have gamesampras. Next up: Pointsampras.

MatchSampras never even decided to show up. Must of been too embarrassed :scratch:

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 09:16 PM
MatchSampras never even decided to show up. Must of been too embarrassed :scratch:

When was the last time Sampras ever lost in a major when he was up 2 sets to none?
When was the last time Sampras ever lost when up 2 sets to none at Wimbledon and the U.S Open?
When was the last time Pete ever lost in U.S. Open Semifinal when serving for the match up 40 -15?
When was the last time Pete ever lost to the same player in 2 straight U.S Open semifinals when having double match point in both matches?
How about NEVER to all of the above.
Again, Federer was always great playing stiffs like Roddick and soft hitting Hewitt. Put Federer in against great players like Nadal and Djokovic and we see how over rated the guy really is.
Federer is a great player against dogshttt competition, but against great players we see his flaws come out. Namely he's a choker.
The facts are Federer never really beat a great player to win a major. He compiled 16 majors against soft competition.
The greatest player Federer ever dominated was Roddick. Not saying much is it.
Sampras, on the other hand won 14 majors against alltime great champions like Becker, Agassi, Edberg, Rafter, Courtier, Lendl.
That's why clearly Sampras is the greatest ever. And that's why Federer in my mind is the king of the dogshhht era. A great player, but weak mentally.

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
this

I didn't realize SetSampras had a twin sister.

As long as you got 2 arms and a heartbeat....you got a chance

HKz
12-07-2011, 09:27 PM
When was the last time Sampras ever lost in a major when he was up 2 sets to none?
When was the last time Sampras ever lost when up 2 sets to none at Wimbledon and the U.S Open?
When was the last time Pete ever lost in U.S. Open Semifinal when serving for the match up 40 -15?
When was the last time Pete ever lost to the same player in 2 straight U.S Open semifinals when having double match point in both matches?
How about NEVER to all of the above.
Again, Federer was always great playing stiffs like Roddick and soft hitting Hewitt. Put Federer in against great players like Nadal and Djokovic and we see how over rated the guy really is.
Federer is a great player against dogshttt competition, but against great players we see his flaws come out. Namely he's a choker.
The facts are Federer never really beat a great player to win a major. He compiled 16 majors against soft competition.
The greatest player Federer ever dominated was Roddick. Not saying much is it.
Sampras, on the other hand won 14 majors against alltime great champions like Becker, Agassi, Edberg, Rafter, Courtier, Lendl.
That's why clearly Sampras is the greatest ever. And that's why Federer in my mind is the king of the dogshhht era. A great player, but weak mentally.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/061/294/1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg?1279885294

SetSampras
12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
As long as you got 2 arms and a heartbeat....you got a chance

Hey Gamesampras.. The Fards actually think we are the same person with a double account. :superlol:

GSMnadal
12-07-2011, 09:29 PM

Shame he needs three acounts for Game, Set, Match. When you can all just roll it into one :o

HKz
12-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey Gamesampras.. The Fards actually think we are the same person with a double account. :superlol:

Why are you talking to yourself?

Shame he needs three acounts for Game, Set, Match. When you can all just roll it into one :o

User name Sampras must of been already taken.

SetSampras
12-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Why in the hell would I need two accounts exactly? I can say anything thats on my mind with one account. PROVE I have two accounts. Gamesampras is definitely someone else.. Its not me

HKz
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Why in the hell would I need two accounts exactly? I can say anything thats on my mind with one account. PROVE I have two accounts. Gamesampras is definitely someone else.. Its not me

Okay, get on GameSampras and post that you are not SetSampras, and I'll believe you.

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 09:36 PM

Well if they check the IP address they could see that we are in different States. They don't want to accept the fact that not everybody is a Federer fan

SetSampras
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Well if they check the IP address they could see that we are in different States. They don't want to accept the fact that not everybody is a Federer fan

Its ridiculous. There would be no reason to have two accounts anyways.

Anyways... Fed's main chances are going to be next year in '12. He has said he definitely was going to play until 2012 to try and go for the Olympic gold in 2012.. After that, chances are he will be seeing many more untimely losses in the slams probably in earlier rounds. He can't continue on this SF-QF streak

fmolinari2005
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
All I can say for sure is that it will take SIX GameSampras to make ONE SetSampras.

Unless TiebreakSampras rises up, of course.

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 09:50 PM
I agree this is his last year to be a real threat in the slams assuming there is good competition out there with mental toughness like Nadal and a 2011 Djoker. I personally don't care who wins as long as its not Federer

munZe konZa
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Next year is his very last chance to prove that he deserved any past glory

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I still can't figure out how Federer lost to Djoker in the us open when serving for the match. I guess im just spoiled from watching how Pete finished off opponents when he was up a break in the match

samanosuke
12-07-2011, 09:55 PM
why he would need to win another ? nobody will catch this 16

it's better for haters . they will feel so close but so far

barbadosan
12-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Next year is his very last chance to prove that he deserved any past glory

Otherwise you're going to do what? Send some thieves to make off with all his past glorious trophies? :superlol:

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Wimbledon i was almost as surprised when he blew a 2 set lead to a real mental nut job Tsonga. That guy needs some medication idk how he even got that far in the tournament. The guy has talent but no mental toughness whatsoever which makes the loss even more pathetic for Roger.

munZe konZa
12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
I still can't figure out how Federer lost to Djoker in the us open when serving for the match. I guess im just spoiled from watching how Pete finished off opponents when he was up a break in the match

You are right, Pete never played someone like Nole

as if... There are at least 2 current players that can overtake him in sheer numbers , not to mention dominate him on the court while doing so

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Feds competition from 2003-2007 was almost as bad as woman's tennis where Graff won like 50 grand slams. Numbers mean nothing when Feds opponents spoon fed him. For Christ sake a out of his prime Agassi was his closest threat until he fell to the ground with a broken fucking back

Gamesampras
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Feds competition from 2003-2007 was almost as bad as woman's tennis where Graff won like 50 grand slams. Numbers mean nothing when Feds opponents spoon fed him. For Christ sake a out of his prime Agassi was his closest threat until he fell to the ground with a broken fucking back

Woman's tennis was just the opposite or mens after Martina Hingis domination. The competition actually got tougher. Everybody knows that Serena Williams is the best to ever play the game not because of her slam total but because she beat tough competition. That being said, i would love to see Graf and Serena go at it in their primes

samanosuke
12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
as if... There are at least 2 current players that can overtake him in sheer numbers , not to mention dominate him on the court while doing so

yeah... nadal will catch him if they count paraolympics trophies to him and nole if he re-watchs "Groundhog Day" again and again...

spot on . I can imagine myself for 30 years reading a book with tennis records and first thing which I'll notice is warning near Fed's name that he broke all these records due to lack of competition

BigJohn
12-07-2011, 11:02 PM
AdSampras
ServeSampras
BaldSampras
ClaySampras
ShagSampras
CarpetSampras
Rome94Sampras
GrassSampras
HardSampras
TeabaggingSampras
Sampras=ClayKilla
Sampras'Mate

fmolinari2005
12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
You forgot:
- Grass Death
- Secondservedoctor
- GOAT=Sampras

BigJohn
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Start da Shag
Sampras spam
Samprasinator

tripwires
12-08-2011, 12:43 AM
:haha:

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-08-2011, 02:10 AM
I wouldn't bet anything, Roger is Roger

EddieNero
12-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Pete S.
Sampras is the GOAT
Sampberg
SamprashLovah
CMONPete
GSMSampras

rickcastle
12-08-2011, 07:06 AM
You forgot:
- Grass Death

ClayRome1994 Death

ssj100
12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
By the way, if Federer didn't get struck by Mono in early 2008, he'd have 20 Grand Slams by now. Such a pity. Similar situation for Sampras I suppose, with his blood disorder.

HNCS
12-08-2011, 07:48 AM
You forgot:
- Grass Death
- Secondservedoctor
- GOAT=Sampras

Start da Shag
Sampras spam
Samprasinator

Pete S.
Sampras is the GOAT
Sampberg
SamprashLovah
CMONPete
GSMSampras

ClayRome1994 Death

AdSampras
ServeSampras
BaldSampras
ClaySampras
ShagSampras
CarpetSampras
Rome94Sampras
GrassSampras
HardSampras
TeabaggingSampras
Sampras=ClayKilla
Sampras'Mate

last 5-6 posts are genius and hilarious!! :lol:

ssj100
12-08-2011, 07:54 AM

At least it was better than Sampras's competition from 1993 to 2000. But I have to admit Sampras's competition was better than Rod Laver's competition in the 1960's (and that includes 1969).

Of course if Sampras didn't have his blood disorder, he would have done better against such weak competition.

Mae
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
The older Roger gets the less likely it is, but Roger is a hard player to rule out of anything! And I had no idea that Pete has a blood disorder :eek:

GSMnadal
12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Thank god Sampras never played during the MTF era, those names are horrendous :lol:

Sonja1989
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I think we can't make little of Roger until he plays professional tennis.

BigJohn
12-09-2011, 02:23 AM
This could be the history of a new line in Everko's signature:

Federer will never win another slam

Federer will never win another slam against Nadal

Federer will never win another slam against Nadal on clay

Federer will never win another slam against Nadal on clay when not injured

Prediction deleted, replaced by another failed prediction.

Sophocles
12-09-2011, 04:25 AM
I have a £300 bet with my brother that he will win another slam.

Egreen
12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I am pretty confident he will win another slam. I think one more for his swansong, and then pack up the bags and onto new and big things, leaving behind the best legacy in tennis history and what will probably never be matched.

so I would be comfortable betting nothing

Ditto.