Forehand Slice [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Forehand Slice

TENNISCRACK
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Do any players use the forehand slice anymore and if so, which players are the bets at it ?

Voo de Mar
12-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Troimug does it quite often, congrats for flexibility, :lol: for defensive baseline game despite strong serve.

samanosuke
12-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Fed often plays that squash shot

Looner
12-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I think the top 3 all play it when stretched. Fed has to do it more often as he finds himself on the defensive quite a lot these days. Djoko plays it well on hardcourts.

LuckyVolcano
12-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Dolgopolov used it on the return against Djokovic at the U.S Open this year, it wasn't a normal chip, it was like a full slice

emotion
12-05-2011, 12:13 AM
1 Dolgopolov
2 Federer
3 Murray
4 Djokovic

Ward is of note also

Sham Kay
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Ah my playing style..

It does look weird unless it's a defensive squash shot in todays era. Having said that weird is good. Dolgo and Flo Mayer are weird. I believe I've seen them both use one of my favourite shots.. the donkey kick forehand faked deep slice gone drop shot thingy mingy.

fmolinari2005
12-05-2011, 12:22 AM
I've seen Simon hit it and not only when he is on the defensive.

Here is Federer hitting a forehand slice "offensively". He usually uses this as a fake drop shot though- and I think that is the case on this rally that ends up with another tweener.

VZsfJHELolA

Slice Winner
12-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Federer sometimes hits it as an offensive shot when he changes the grip so the opponent expects a dropshot, and then he slices it deep.

bleu_cheese
12-05-2011, 12:43 AM
An offensive forehand slice is really fun to hit. It's kind of like swinging a sword down on the ball. Of course, in my case, the ball flies way out, but I think the pros could use it as a surprise shot every once in a while.

shiaben
12-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Federer utilizes it pretty well.

leng jai
12-05-2011, 03:59 AM
An offensive forehand slice is really fun to hit. It's kind of like swinging a sword down on the ball. Of course, in my case, the ball flies way out, but I think the pros could use it as a surprise shot every once in a while.

The only way it can be a surprise shot is when you're pretending to hit a drop shit due to the grip change.

Haelfix
12-05-2011, 04:16 AM
A player with a good forehand slice is annoying to play against. It's a very dangerous shot, b/c it is unusual and players aren't used to dealing with it, which leads to a lot of UEs. Alternatively players will often hit a relatively safe or spinny response to avoid hitting a UE.

It is thus often utilized as a point reset.

Santoro famously used his 2hander to bait and switch opposing players, often daring them to come to the net very much like the reverse of the federer dying cc bh slice. This is particularly effective against guys who hit very flat shots.

It is also used to crack the rhythm of a power hitter.

chenx15
12-05-2011, 05:02 AM
A player with a good forehand slice is annoying to play against. It's a very dangerous shot, b/c it is unusual and players aren't used to dealing with it, which leads to a lot of UEs. Alternatively players will often hit a relatively safe or spinny response to avoid hitting a UE.

It is thus often utilized as a point reset.

Santoro famously used his 2hander to bait and switch opposing players, often daring them to come to the net very much like the reverse of the federer dying cc bh slice. This is particularly effective against guys who hit very flat shots.

It is also used to crack the rhythm of a power hitter.

totally agree i have two great tennis buddies that can't match up with me baseline to baseline, then they discovered i have a problem handling the forehand slice. they give it to me out of nowhere. totally screws up my rhythm. and they usually do it when they are on the defensive when i give them some heavy ground stroke shots. the one advantage now is i have learned to read this and force myself to go to the net more. which is awesome

VIPer7
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Dustin Brown also uses this shot quite often, usually rushing to the net afterwards. I like it :)

Forehander
12-05-2011, 12:47 PM
It's actually a pretty good shot to use if you can do a forehand slice as hard as you can and land where you want it. Nobody will ever use it in professional tennis because the unforce error ratio is simply too high. Hit anything softer is just a dead giveaway

Dougie
12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
It's actually a pretty good shot to use if you can do a forehand slice as hard as you can and land where you want it. Nobody will ever use it in professional tennis because the unforce error ratio is simply too high. Hit anything softer is just a dead giveaway

I don´t see why slice forehand would be any more vulnerable to unforced errors than slice backhand. Not many pros seem to use it nowadays, but I´m not quite sure why. Itś a good shot to have in your arsenal, if you use it correctly. Connors, for example, used to hit his forehand with some underspin when he had to hit it low, or from a difficult position.

Slice Winner
12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
This is one of my favourite ones. (fake dropshot)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24HKISLIs0#t=1m42s

BodyServe
12-07-2011, 07:26 PM

I'm surprised it isn't used as often too, particularly on low bounces surfaces, it's very hard to control those fast fh slices, you need to be very loose on the wrist..

Arakasi
12-07-2011, 10:30 PM
_0HsyKwsqf0

ZQQ-bWXSYQY