What´s wrong with Delpo´s serve? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What´s wrong with Delpo´s serve?

romismak
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Can you someone tell me why he was serving like WTA player this 2 DC matches? His 1st serve was mostly 170-180kmh. MAybe he was going after high percentage of FS, but still don´t get, especially against Nadal when you know he doesn´t like big servers and his ROS is pretty bad lately, whe he wasn´t bombing 1st serves on him, he was hitting crappy 1st serves wide and it didn´t help him. Maybe he didn´t go for pace and speed, because he is affraid of some injury in wrist?

rubbERR
12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
He loses it when he loses his legs, seen it many times. One example is US open 2009 final, im sure many watched it :lol:

He had also shoulder injury before this tournament so that could explain it too.

He did great in his two matches without his serve, crowd surely helped him.

Leo
12-04-2011, 07:29 PM
He's been struggling with his serve in his comeback from injury.

There are many things that have been sub-par in his return compared to the Del Potro of 2009: serve (he used to pull out huge aces and service winners on important points and double fault far less often), return, confidence to increase the velocity on his groundstrokes after 4 shots in a rally, stamina, movement. This is not a surprise.

Certinfy
12-04-2011, 09:31 PM
It's obvious he's struggled with his serve this year but I'm not entirely convinced that was the reason for the way he served today. In countless matches in 2009 when he was playing some of his best tennis he ocasionally did take some speed off his serve to rely on a good percentage, but then even with the speed taken off he was hitting them far harder than he was today.

fco253
12-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I was wondering about the same thing...in five of sets matches he usually picks his spots, but it puzzled me... specially in the passages he was struggling to hold serve... maybe he considered the physical toll to blast them over 200 kmh too much regarding that in this super slow court wouldn't yield many free points anyway and he preferred to save the energy for ground strokes?

I would really would like to know for sure...

Ibracadabra
12-05-2011, 12:42 AM
No extension. Both legs injured.

Topspindoctor
12-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Nothing is wrong with his serve, he was always a mug server.

rubbERR
12-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Nothing is wrong with his serve, he was always a mug server.

Yet another post without facts, nothing. You just come with random fiction. :lol:

Topspindoctor
12-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Yet another post without facts, nothing. You just come with random fiction. :lol:

I only need to watch a couple of his matches to realize how shit his serve is for his height. He's in a league of Mugrin Cilic as far as the serving goes. :o

rubbERR
12-05-2011, 12:57 AM
I only need to watch a couple of his matches to realize how shit his serve is for his height. He's in a league of Mugrin Cilic as far as the serving goes. :o

So, its not too bad, isnt it? Both winning 76% 1st serve points this year, both in Top 10.

Get a clue. :lol:

samanosuke
12-05-2011, 08:17 AM
nothing with the serve, just with health

moon language
12-05-2011, 08:30 AM
2009 was the first year he started serving big. Prior to that he served the way he did in these matches. I would imagine all of the time off he had has something to do with it, but if he stays healthy and playing a full season he will get his rhythm and confidence back and serve big consistently again.

Shinoj
12-05-2011, 09:37 AM
He is coming back from an injury. That is the only problem he has. he lacks match practise and the confidence which comes along with it. had seen in quite a few instances where he was holding back against Nadal and employing some unusual shots. To me when he gets that confidence back he will be firing on all....

Leo
12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
2009 was the first year he started serving big. Prior to that he served the way he did in these matches. I would imagine all of the time off he had has something to do with it, but if he stays healthy and playing a full season he will get his rhythm and confidence back and serve big consistently again.

This is pretty much it.