Davis Cup, Olympics or WTF? Which one would you want the most? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup, Olympics or WTF? Which one would you want the most?

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Obviously the 4 slams are the most important tournaments, but after that, which one of these three huge events would you like to win the most? Saw a couple debates about this lately, so why not make a thread about it :)

Davis Cup has the honour of fighting for your country, and it still has best of 5 format. Is more of a team sport however, so you could profit from other gifted players (or be screwed if you're the only decent player from your country, like Murray).

Olympics is the biggest sports event in the world, has the history, a place where legends are made. Everyone wants to be an olympic gold medalist. Tennis hasn't been there for very long though, and therefore it lacks the great champions/stories from the past. Still has best of 5 in the final.

To win the WTF you have to beat 4 or 5 top 8 players, arguably even more difficult to win than a Grand slam. But, a lot of the top players are tired after a long, hard season, and come here in terrible shape. And now it's in best of 3 format, and we all know the truly great matches are fought out over 5 sets.

I'd say Olympics >> Davis Cup > WTF

Certinfy
12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Olympics > World Tour Finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis Cup

Davis Cup is the biggest joke in tennis I think.

Chirag
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Wtf for sure .I have to beat the best 8 players in the world to win that event :D

Roamed
12-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I'd want Olympics more, it's a rare achievement because it's only every 4 years, but WTF is the most essential to a player's legacy by far in my opinion simply because you get a chance ever year and the field is constantly strong.

Davis Cup isn't really in the equation.

tripwires
Olympics more important than WTF? :lol:

WTF > Davis Cup > Olympics. I honestly wouldn't care if they scrapped Olympics tennis. WTF is the unofficial 5th slam. I don't see the basis for comparison here at all.

Davis Cup has definitely lost its importance throughout the years but it's had a long, long history. It would be great on any player's resume.

But it's undeniable that out of the 3, the WTF is probably the most important.

Mae
I don't like the RR Format for the WTF and the Davis Cup is for the players' countries as is the Olympics. So I said Olympics, Davis Cup, and then the WTF.

Sham Kay
12-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Forget the prestige of Davis cup and Olympics. No excuses in the WTF. The single best player in the World at that moment in time wins it. Winning WTF shoves that fact in the rest of the top 8s faces. I'd like to win this the most.

Davis cup is a team event and pretty much a separate sport that takes away from the lone warrior aspect of tennis - Good for your country. Pride. Means nothing else personal success wise.

Olympics.. Massu.

Rogieva
12-03-2011, 02:14 PM
WTF > Olympics > DC

jayjay
12-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Davis Cup > Olympics > WTF.

You get to play for yourself during most of the year, Davis Cup is about joy for an entire nation - not just one player and their fans. As for the Olympics, the fact you only get that opportunity once every four years makes it special - and again, has the element of you representing your nation.

I'm sure Nalbandian would gladly swap his WTF for a Davis Cup title.

Fujee
12-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Olympics is very prestigious imo, being an olympic champion is very impressive. World Tour Finals closely follow, perhaps the most difficult tournament to win though ironically. Then Davis Cup as winning the thing is not necessarily in your hands.

jayjay
12-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Expected thread by a Nadaltard. Tennis at Summer Olympics has zero prestige so it's 3rd for sure. I know what players say but what they say doesn't always mean it's true. Olderer thinks he is better now than he was in 2005 for example :cuckoo:
Davis Cup is a team competition so its irrelevant when it comes to greatness in singles.
WTF is officially the 5th biggest tournament in tennis. There is not much to debate.

The question is about what you as an individual would want more - not the order of importance of the competitions for Tennis as a whole.

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Expected thread by a Nadaltard. Tennis at Summer Olympics has zero prestige so it's 3rd for sure. I know what players say but what they say doesn't always mean it's true. Olderer thinks he is better now than he was in 2005 for example :cuckoo:
Davis Cup is a team competition so its irrelevant when it comes to greatness in singles.
WTF is officially the 5th biggest tournament in tennis. There is not much to debate.

It's not about which tournament is bigger, it's about which one YOU would want to win.

I don't care if WTF is the fifth biggest, I'd pick the Olympics and Davis Cup over that every time. Winning Basel would probably mean a whole lot more to Federer than winning Miami or something, doesn't mean it's a bigger tournament.

Start da Game
12-03-2011, 02:35 PM
1. davis cup

2. olympic gold

world toast finals is nothing more than a glorified exhibition......djokovic lost two matches and was still in contention for semifinal......even kooyang classic and some challenger tournaments are tougher than that to win......

iriraz
12-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Certainly WTF and Olympics are realistic for any top player.It doesn`t matter how much u want it or how good u are,Davis Cup is only possible for only a few.
Do u think someone like Federer or Murray have any realistic chance to win Davis Cup?

Getta
12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
if i were from a nation with a great tennis tradition and a good team representation, davis cup then

Olympics.. Massu.

things are changing fast

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Certainly WTF and Olympics are realistic for any top player.It doesn`t matter how much u want it or how good u are,Davis Cup is only possible for only a few.
Do u think someone like Federer or Murray have any realistic chance to win Davis Cup?

Doesn't mean it wouldn't feel great to win it. When I see the crowd cheering during Davis Cup ties, man, you must be so pumped up when you're playing there and win it.

Imperfect Angel
12-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Olympic > WTF >>>>>>>> Davis Cup.

Mateya
12-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Umag > WTF > Davis cup > Olympics

I don't care about Davis cup and olympics too much.

I would most likely be one bitchy Fed cup player. :D
Well, who knows...if I managed to become a pro and had a chance to play Fed cup (women version of Davis cup) and Olympics for my small country, I might change my opinion.

But WTF is on the top of my wishlist, because if you win it you know that you are really good. Even if you qualify for WTF is amazing.

Chris Kuerten
12-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I voted Olympics > Davis Cup > WTF, but it's very close with Olympics > WTF > Davis Cup.

Winning an olympic medal is a dream for every sporter, if you win one you are relevant in the entire world of sports, not just in tennis.

nobama
12-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Let's see...if your a #2 fan WTF would certainly come in last. :lol:

alter ego
12-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I voted Olympics > Davis Cup > WTF, but it's very close with Olympics > WTF > Davis Cup.

Winning an olympic medal is a dream for every sporter, if you win one you are relevant in the entire world of sports, not just in tennis.

Give me a break. You're telling us that Messi and Ronaldo are irelevant for the world of sports because they haven't won an olympic medal. Is Schumacher also irelevant?

emotion
12-03-2011, 03:27 PM
The Olympics, but that's personally me cuz I followed Olympics very young

HKz
12-03-2011, 03:29 PM
WTF > Olympics = Davis Cup. WTF for sure has the prestige that decades of players have faced and many of the greatest players of each generation have won the event. Olympics would be a great accomplishment, but I don't know, it doesn't feel like it has the same prestige as other ATP events. I mean just take a look at the list of past winners. The only truly notable winners have been Nadal and Agassi winning the gold. Davis Cup similarly is a great accomplish, however, unlike the Olympics it truly has the prestige. The problem with Davis Cup is then the fact that you need a great team. No matter how good you are, if you don't have a great team, you aren't going to win Davis Cup. This combination of individual performance and prestige makes WTF the most logical choice IMO.

1. davis cup

2. olympic gold

world toast finals is nothing more than a glorified exhibition......djokovic lost two matches and was still in contention for semifinal......even kooyang classic and some challenger tournaments are tougher than that to win......

Tougher to win, rofl. Then why hasn't Nadal won at least once? Stop talking please tard da fail.

GOAT = Fed
12-03-2011, 03:47 PM
NID the Nadal 'tards voting for WTF last :haha:

Personally I think you cannot categorise the 3 tournaments in terms of prestige. It depends. Someone who is very pationate about his country and already has had a successful singles career will feel the olympics/Davis Cup is better, but someone who may not as patriotic about their country won't give a toss about the olympics/DC but will care a lot about WTF.

In pure tennis terms, you hardly ever hear commentators bring up Davis cup/ Olympics wins, but they do however comment on how many WTF a player has won, and most, if not all, put the WTF just below the status of GS, obviously of course apart from the Nadal 'tards ;)

Egreen
12-03-2011, 04:02 PM
WTF > Olympics > Davis Cup.

MIMIC
12-03-2011, 04:07 PM
As far as tennis is concerned, the World Tour Finals is the most prestigious title of the three, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, "Olympic gold" is the pinnacle of it all. That's probably why singles gold is so important to Novak and Roger....because while it may not mean much in the tennis community, it's an elite title to everyone else. Everyone knows what the Olympics are but not everyone is familiar with the different tiers when it comes to tennis tournaments.

If I could only have 1, I'd pick Olympic gold (singles) over a YEC. Davis Cup doesn't even begin to compare with either though.

GOAT = Fed
12-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Davis Cup was one of the most important prestigious tournaments when it first came about.

Now not so much.

helvet empire
12-03-2011, 04:38 PM
the prestige of Davis Cup depends a lot on the team you have. Federer winning the davis cup would be 10000 times more prestigious than nadull's wins

Start da Game
12-03-2011, 04:45 PM
WTF > Olympics = Davis Cup. WTF for sure has the prestige that decades of players have faced and many of the greatest players of each generation have won the event. Olympics would be a great accomplishment, but I don't know, it doesn't feel like it has the same prestige as other ATP events. I mean just take a look at the list of past winners. The only truly notable winners have been Nadal and Agassi winning the gold. Davis Cup similarly is a great accomplish, however, unlike the Olympics it truly has the prestige. The problem with Davis Cup is then the fact that you need a great team. No matter how good you are, if you don't have a great team, you aren't going to win Davis Cup. This combination of individual performance and prestige makes WTF the most logical choice IMO.

Tougher to win, rofl. Then why hasn't Nadal won at least once? Stop talking please tard da fail.

let's move the event to february and then we will see who wins what, bozo......world toast finals is a useless event......it's nothing more than a glorified exhibition......

they offer millions of loose cash just for a couple of round robin matches win or lose, otherwise nobody would bother entering that event......the same is not true about davis cup and olympics......nations die to win davis cup and olympics, not that glorified exhibition world toast finals......

Telegram Sam
12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Let's see...if your a #2 fan WTF would certainly come in last. :lol:

And if you're a #3 fan, then WTF means more than RG, Olympic Games are some village contest and DC is a team game which is contrary to tennis philosophy. :wavey:

Ibracadabra
12-03-2011, 04:58 PM
massu won singles gold and doubles gold. That being said a gold for your country is an incredible acheievment but tennis players don't seem to care as much as it's an individual sport.

alter ego
12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
sampras won it 7 times it seems, i still don't like the event.....

The real arse clown champ fails once again the tennis history exam.

Saberq
12-03-2011, 05:52 PM
the prestige of Davis Cup depends a lot on the team you have. Federer winning the davis cup would be 10000 times more prestigious than nadull's wins

stupid statement ....

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Olympic gold and DC have guys who were never got a chance to even participate at WTF . Hope this helps

Telegram Sam
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Olympic gold and DC have guys who were never got a chance to even participate at WTF .

That's almost a sentence. :clap2:

fsoica
12-03-2011, 06:04 PM
fsoica hope you'll know what to do with this post

A true warrior settles things down with the sword (in this case with sharp words) not with a button :)

I've never wanted too see Tardy banned 'cause I enjoy thrashing him every now and then...

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
A true warrior settles things down with the sword (in this case with sharp words) not with a button :)

he is doing that with everyone . I experienced that on my own back . when he doesn't know what to do , he whines to the mods

Start da Game
12-03-2011, 06:07 PM

:haha:

fsoica
12-03-2011, 06:09 PM
he is doing that with everyone . I experienced that on my own back . when he doesn't know what to do , he whines to the mods

me too, I noticed, so what? This is Nadal-like...to call the doctors when in despair :) (here i have been mean to Rafa, but only because of Tardy)

see my sig for the role-moddel behaviour on the battle field...

Sham Kay
12-03-2011, 06:10 PM
The importance obviously depends on how much success your favourite has had in each tournament.

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 06:16 PM

sorry don't understand . numbers are my forte

GOAT = Fed
12-03-2011, 06:21 PM

:haha::lol:

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I like Telegram Sam already

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 06:25 PM
:haha::lol:

you don't know how to answer on ownage by yourself so you need help by others ?

still waiting your answer on our " little" debate at ACC thread , if you didn't understand I can arrange a translator ?

SetSampras
12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Davis Cup>Olympics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WTF these days

fsoica
12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Davis Cup>Olympics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> WTF these days

voice of the people says otherwise

Vilnietė
12-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I thought that the question is about PERSONAL preferences... In a poll "which tournament is the most prestigious/valuable/ech" I'd probably have different answers.

I voted for DC because I love the atmosphere there, most of top players are playing there, in this tournament I enjoy watching doubles matches, which doesn't happen so often elsewhere... And I actualy like the concept of representing the country :)

I don't know what would I think if I were a tennis player and see those tournament from the other side...

and I don't think it's fair to judge people for their personal preferences.

RagaZ
12-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Give me a break. You're telling us that Messi and Ronaldo are irelevant for the world of sports because they haven't won an olympic medal. Is Schumacher also irelevant?

Eh? :rolleyes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/3087858449_6122135842.jpg

mickymouse
12-04-2011, 02:58 AM
Olympics? The same Olympics in which Massu won a gold medal? Yup, real pretigious this Oympics medal is, so much so that Roddick didn't even bother turning up for in 2008.

ssj100
12-04-2011, 03:08 AM
Why did Sampras only make it to third round in the 1992 Olympics? How did he do in the 1996 and 2000 Olympics?

I don't think Olympics is very important right? Davis Cup is a Team Event isn't it? You could win both your singles matches but still lose the Cup? World Tour Finals doesn't count in this "mug" era right? That's why Djokovic and Federer have won them. Nadal hasn't won it, so must not be that important.

I suppose in this "mug" era, all three events are equally unimportant?

MIMIC
12-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Olympics? The same Olympics in which Massu won a gold medal? Yup, real pretigious this Oympics medal is, so much so that Roddick didn't even bother turning up for in 2008.

Fed played Davis Cup just to qualify. :lol: People care....a LOT.

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-04-2011, 04:13 AM
Olympics because you really have to want it, you have to peak for it or else your career could be over by the time it comes round again. WTF second because you have to beat the best of the best. Davis Cup third because you cannot control how good the rest of your country's players are Example: Federer

Fedex
12-04-2011, 04:25 AM
1. davis cup

2. olympic gold

lolz

You'd think Nadal would have at least one WTF title if it were so easy to win. lmfao

rickcastle
12-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Of course Nadal tards keep downplaying the importance of WTF. If Nadal had won it 6x, it would be the most important tournament in the planet.

Honestly, Olympics would be more prestigious if tennis had a lot of history in it. But it is the Olympics so it's still pretty prestigious. I'd say Olympics > WTF by only a little margin because of name recognition and the fact it's played every 4 years. Davis Cup is out of the question because it's a team event.

Fedex
12-04-2011, 04:29 AM
The olympics in tennis is not at all prestigious and is clearly third in importance here.

rickcastle
12-04-2011, 04:55 AM
The olympics in tennis is not at all prestigious and is clearly third in importance here.

I think the prestige lies in the name, the brand "Olympics" is kind of huge so that's something. But still, if Nadal tards want to keep on bringing up Davis Cup, despite it being a teams event, then Federer's Olympic gold in doubles with Wawrinka is just as valid as Nadal's singles Olympic gold.

paseo
12-04-2011, 05:09 AM
Fed played Davis Cup just to qualify. :lol: People care....a LOT.

Actually, Fed is the one who made the olympic gold a more prestigious title in tennis. When Fed was at his prime, dominating tennis with style, he said that the olympic gold was/is a very great achievement to have as a tennis player, and that he wanted it badly. Now, when the GOAT said something like that, everyone in tennis automatically goes "YEAH!! The Mighty Federer is right! Olympics FTW!".

So you see, it was Fed's doing, that made most of the tennis world thinks quite highly of the olympics. Such a big part of tennis history, this Federer.

PiggyGotRoasted
12-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Individual Achievement :
World Tour Finals > Olympics > Davis Cup
Team Achievement :
Davis Cup > Olympics > WTF

Obviously an olympic gold medal in any sport holds a lot of prestige, which is why winning the olympics is a different animal altogether. Hence I would say that in simple tennis terms, the WTF is far more important. As a whole, winning an olympic gold medal is an honour for you to represent your country like that which is why I think it holds almost an equal standing however in regards to that if the gold medal is in singles, doubles, or mixed it doesnt matter at all. Davis cup is an honour to represent your country, as a team event again its another animal. Id say the davis cup goes behind the others as an individual achievement.

So I would want the WTF or the Olympics about equal then the Davis Cup.

Pirata.
12-04-2011, 05:40 AM
WTF > Davis Cup >>>>>>> Olympics

For me, the Olympics in tennis is nearly on the level of the Olympics in basketball, football (and golf now, apparently :o) in that it's a great honor to win it for your country, but in these sports, it's not the ultimate prize like it would be in, for example, swimming or gymnastics or taekwondo etc. A singles player can win an Olympic medal and be proud of that, but I wonder if Gonzo would trade that Olympic silver for a slam title. Maybe, maybe not.

For a nationalistic competition, Davis Cup has the history and prestige attached to it that the Olympics will never have, and WTF you need to be the best AND beat the best.

tripwires
12-04-2011, 06:31 AM
let's move the event to february and then we will see who wins what, bozo......world toast finals is a useless event......it's nothing more than a glorified exhibition......

they offer millions of loose cash just for a couple of round robin matches win or lose, otherwise nobody would bother entering that event......the same is not true about davis cup and olympics......nations die to win davis cup and olympics, not that glorified exhibition world toast finals......

Players don't "enter" this event; they have to qualify.

Start da Game
12-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Players don't "enter" this event; they have to qualify.

of course i was talking about the 8 qualified players who enter.....look what djokovic did......he quickly encashed those fat checks, tanked his two matches, packed his bags and ran away from there......had there not been those 1.6 millions extra, he wouldn't even have bothered entering paris masters......

achievements wise, nobody gives a damn about WTF......that's the truth......there were times when this tournament was taken seriously in the 80s and 90s but all that has changed now for all the reasons i put forth in my thread......indoors has clearly lost its charm......the game has become physical and players are done by us open......

del potro cried for losing his tie against ferrer couple days ago, he din't look one bit bothered when he lost to denko in 2009 wtf final......he just took the cash and left happily......

they play davis cup and olympics for pride, history, glory......not for cash......

tripwires
12-04-2011, 07:30 AM
of course i was talking about the 8 qualified players who enter.....look what djokovic did......he quickly encashed those fat checks, tanked his two matches, packed his bags and ran away from there......had there not been those 1.6 millions extra, he wouldn't even have bothered entering paris masters......

achievements wise, nobody gives a damn about WTF......that's the truth......there were times when this tournament was taken seriously in the 80s and 90s but all that has changed now for all the reasons i put forth in my thread......indoors has clearly lost its charm......the game has become physical and players are done by us open......

del potro cried for losing his tie against ferrer couple days ago, he din't look one bit bothered when he lost to denko in 2009 wtf final......he just took the cash and left happily......

they play davis cup and olympics for pride, history, glory......not for cash......

No............that's your...............................opinion.

It's a different situation playing for your country. I'm happy that players still care so much about Davis Cup (i.e. crying after losing - Llodra last year, Djokovic this year, del Potro this year), but it doesn't mean that they don't care at all about WTF. Did you listen to Mardy Fish talk about qualifying for it this year?

Oh wait, am I really trying to talk seriously with you? :lol: My bad.

Hewitt =Legend
12-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Davis Cup followed by the Olympics. The WTF, in it's current state isn't even close...

Start da Game
12-04-2011, 07:36 AM
No............that's your...............................opinion.

It's a different situation playing for your country. I'm happy that players still care so much about Davis Cup (i.e. crying after losing - Llodra last year, Djokovic this year, del Potro this year), but it doesn't mean that they don't care at all about WTF. Did you listen to Mardy Fish talk about qualifying for it this year?

Oh wait, am I really trying to talk seriously with you? :lol: My bad.

for the last time, no amount of fedtard whining will change the truth......it is just what it is......it's not even debatable......

toughness - slams, davis cup, olympics

history - slams, davis cup, olympics

pride - slams, davis cup, olympics

majority players want to win - slams, davis cup, olympics

scarecrows
12-04-2011, 07:41 AM
for tennis' tradition it's WTF

for prestige it's Olympic Games since it's only once every 4 years, although must be said that till 1996 nobody really cared for the Olympics

Davis Cup is a team event, don't think it can be compared to the other 2, but still it's a great achievement

tripwires
12-04-2011, 07:41 AM
for the last time, no amount of fedtard whining will change the truth......it is just what it is......it's not even debatable......

toughness - slams, davis cup, olympics

history - slams, davis cup, olympics

pride - slams, davis cup, olympics

majority players want to win - slams, davis cup, olympics

For the last time, that's just your opinion. No amount of Nadaltard whinging and whining and crying will make a Nadaltard opinion into "the truth".

Imperfect Angel
12-04-2011, 07:45 AM
Davis Cup is so overrated. One player can lose up to 8 singles matches in 4 rounds and still be able to win David Cup with 'pride' (providing there's one great singles player and one great doubles team in a team).:haha:

Aphex
12-04-2011, 09:06 AM
1. Davis Cup is the fifth slam when it comes to tradition and prestige. Federer should've went for it when Wavrinka was at his peak a couple of years ago. Now it will be another hole in his resume. 2. Olympics have overtaken the Tour Championships the last decade. 3. WTF.

Vilnietė
12-04-2011, 09:38 AM
For me, the Olympics in tennis is nearly on the level of the Olympics in basketball, football (and golf now, apparently :o)

Olimpics in basketball are very important, I'd say that more than World Championship

samanosuke
12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Barcelona 92 winner: Rosset
Athens 2004 winner: Massu

Massu + Rosset = 0 WTF appearances

samanosuke
12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Beijing 2008 winner: Nadal

Nadal's WTF score: 9 wins, 10 defeats

Gagsquet
12-04-2011, 09:59 AM
There are two schools of thoughts basically.

atennisfan
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Davis cup shouldn't even be an option. To win a DC depends largely on how many strong players your country has.

atennisfan
12-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Davis Cup is so overrated. One player can lose up to 8 singles matches in 4 rounds and still be able to win David Cup with 'pride' (providing there's one great singles player and one great doubles team in a team).:haha:

This.

GSMnadal
12-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Beijing 2008 winner: Nadal

Nadal's WTF score: 9 wins, 10 defeats

Federer: 6 WTF wins

Federer: best performance was only 4th at olympics, never able to reach a davis cup final

works both ways :shrug:

samanosuke
12-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Federer: best performance was only 4th at olympics, never able to reach a davis cup final

Federer: 3 Olympics appearances
Nadal: 5 WTF appearances

GSMnadal
12-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Federer: 3 Olympics appearances
Nadal: 5 WTF appearances

at least Rafa made it to the final once.

and how many davis cup appearances for the GOAT?

samanosuke
12-04-2011, 10:17 AM

and how many Ferrer's, Ferrero's, Moya's are Swisses ?

GSMnadal
12-04-2011, 10:20 AM
and how many Ferrer's, Ferrero's, Moya's are Swisses ?

Wawrinka is a legitimate teammate.

samanosuke
12-04-2011, 10:24 AM

ok then, no problem . Swiss winning DC this year . Fed will skip match against US to rest his body like rafa did this year ( Spain played in US, Swiss is playing home - even smaller problem ) , Stan will destroy hole US team, third point will win Allegro with routine win over Fish and then will Wawrinka develop his grass court skills so Swiss will be able to pick grass against Spain in possible match and the title is here .

RogerFedererNo1
12-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Serbia reached the Semis this year, although Djokovic did not play (only a doubles that he even lost).

Spain won the Davis Cup Finals 2008 in Argentinia without Nadal and won this year in the USA.

And Switzerland without Roger? Losing 5-0 to Kazakhstan ...

rickcastle
12-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Federer won Olympics medal with Wawrinka. If you're going to include Davis Cup (a teams event) in the conversation then Federer's doubles Olympic gold should also count.

fmolinari2005
12-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Probably the Olympics- but it has no bearings on your tennis career. As a tennis tournament, though, it is far weaker compared to WTF. I still would chose Olympics because it is gotta be quite cool having an Olympic medal.

I suppose the Olympic games in tennis is sort of like it is for soccer: a nice achievement, but that doesn't change your status much on the sport. I mean, will anyone say that Brazil is a lesser nation in soccer because we still don't have a title in the Olympic games?!

Since this thread is about Fed x Nadal I would say that you could make a case, career-wise in tennis, for Fed not having a DC title and Nadal not having a WTF title. However, Fed's DC task is much tougher compared to Nadal's ... Nadal has a powerful DC team to fall back on.

I bet Roger is eager to win a single's Olympic gold medal. But he already has one medal, so in the end, as far as Olympic dreams are concerned, he has one gold medal already.

GSMnadal
12-04-2011, 10:33 AM
ok then, no problem . Swiss winning DC this year . Fed will skip match against US to rest his body like rafa did this year ( Spain played in US, Swiss is playing home - even smaller problem ) , Stan will destroy hole US team, third point will win Allegro with routine win over Fish and then will Wawrinka develop his grass court skills so Swiss will be able to pick grass against Spain in possible match and the title is here .

Serbia reached the Semis this year, although Djokovic did not play (only a doubles that he even lost).

Spain won the Davis Cup Finals 2008 in Argentinia without Nadal and won this year in the USA.

And Switzerland without Roger? Losing 5-0 to Kazakhstan ...

I'm not saying Switzerland is as good as Spain, but it's not right to completely blame Federer's lack of davis cup success on that.

He had a top 15 player next to him, they could've won the davis cup, if Federer would've bothered to show up a couple of times

manadrainer
12-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok, let the Rafatard broken record begin:

* Olympics and Davis cup are most prestigious tournaments ever, hardest to win, etc. etc.

* WTF = World Toast Finals, mug tournament, blah, blah, blah.

Hey, if it's so easy to win, why can't your god win 7 like that prestigious Monte Carlo Master?

I reckon though it's tough to be a Fed hater when he breaks so many records... poor rafatards...

EDIT: oh, and too bad WTF final is not BO5 anymore, unfortunately when players were asked what they'd prefer, only ballerina Federer wanted BO5 final, the other "Spartans" (Nadal included) declared they would be too tired to play a best of 5 final at the end of the season...

Telegram Sam
12-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Ok, let the Rafatard broken record begin:

* Olympics and Davis cup are most prestigious tournaments ever, hardest to win, etc. etc.

* WTF = World Toast Finals, mug tournament, blah, blah, blah.

Hey, if it's so easy to win, why can't your god win 7 like that prestigious Monte Carlo Master?

I reckon though it's tough to be a Fed hater when he breaks so many records... poor rafatards...

Ok, let the Fedtard broken record begin:

* WTF is the most prestigious tournament ever, hardest to win, 8 best players etc. etc.

* DC team support, Olympics no real tradition, blah, blah, blah.

Hey, if it's so easy to win, why can't your god win it like that prestigious doubles gold?

I reckon though it's tough to be a Rafa hater when he broke Federer so many times... poor fedtards...

Gagsquet
12-04-2011, 10:55 AM

* WTF is the most prestigious tournament ever, hardest to win, 8 best players etc. etc.

Hey, if it's so easy to win, why can't your god win it like that prestigious doubles gold?

I reckon though it's tough to be a Rafa hater when he broke Federer so many times... poor fedtards...

Good twelfth post.
Despicable sig.

Telegram Sam
12-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Despicable sig.

Come on, I was really proud how that color scheme worked out.

safin-rules-no.1
12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Olympics >>>>>>> World Tour Finals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis Cup

fmolinari2005
12-04-2011, 11:04 AM
A couple of questions regarding DC:

- Did Nadal played all the DC rubbers over the years when he was a top 3 player?! Because it is not as if Rafa is pulling out the stops to play for Spain at DC.
- How many players inside the top 50 Spain have/ had over the years?
- How many players inside the top 50 Switzerland have/ had over the years?!

The only year Nadal won the DC playing all the rubbers was 2004. Granted that he defeated Pandy on the finals, but back then he was not the main player on the team.

safin-rules-no.1
12-04-2011, 11:05 AM

He carers too much about the Olympics and too little (quite rightly) about Davis Cup.

bounccer
12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Prestige: Olympics > wtf > DC

Emotion: DC > Olympics > WTF

Toughness, winner's abilities: WTF>>>>>Olympics>>DC

nobama
12-04-2011, 11:44 AM
And if you're a #3 fan, then WTF means more than RG, Olympic Games are some village contest and DC is a team game which is contrary to tennis philosophy. :wavey:
Maybe, but I didn't start a thread asking a rhetorical question. I'm not sure why WTF has to do with DC and Olympics anyway. DC and Olympics are not ATP events so why compare them to WTF other than to start another Fed/#2 tard war? :confused:

Vilnietė
12-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Prestige: Olympics > wtf > DC

Emotion: DC > Olympics > WTF

Toughness, winner's abilities: WTF>>>>>Olympics>>DC

:yeah:

ciprianned
12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Olympics > WTF > Davis Cup

manadrainer
12-04-2011, 01:10 PM

I never said Olympics is easy to win, I find it is like any other Master series, the difficult thing about it is it comes once every 4 years, so it's difficult for a player to peak for it. Nobody cared about Olympics before Rafa won it, then it became instantly the most prestigious tournament ever.
Fed wasn't able win it, I am ok with it.

Davis Cup has a great tradition, it's unfortunate top players in the last decade didn't put their season around winning Davis Cup, even Rafa (who cares a lot about it) skips some tie. He's a great Davis Cup player, but he is also lucky that his team can win ties even without him. If Fed doesn't show up, Switzerland can lose 5-0 against Kazakstan. :help:

WTF is the 5th most prestigious tournament of the year, it's always been like this, even if you Rafatards go on saying it is "World Toast Finals" or that Rafa (and other top players) don't give a s**t winning it or not (and it's not even true, Rafa said several times he'd like to win it, as much as Fed said several times he cares about winning Olympics). You try to find excuses for it saying Rafa and Nole are tired because of a long season, while Fed won 3 Slam a year three times and won WTF undefeated in those years...

GSMnadal
12-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Davis Cup is coming back big time with this final... check out Spains and Rafa's reactions, and take a look at everyone during the WTF.

manadrainer
12-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Davis Cup is coming back big time with this final... check out Spains and Rafa's reactions, and take a look at everyone during the WTF.

Rafa was "vamosing" and fist-pumping down 3-6, 0-4, 30-40 when Fed netted a forehand on BP.
What about that reaction? If he can have this reaction in a RR match he's about to lose, what reaction should he have now when he's about to win the decisive match at home for a 4th Davis Cup win?

tripwires
12-04-2011, 01:36 PM

:haha: Nice story. You must've missed last year's DC final. I won't even bother addressing the WTF point.

EddieNero
12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
WTF. Olympics and Davis Cup are both useless.

Telegram Sam
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Nobody cared about Olympics before Rafa won it, then it became instantly the most prestigious tournament ever.

Any references for this?

You try to find excuses for it saying Rafa and Nole are tired because of a long season, while Fed won 3 Slam a year three times and won WTF undefeated in those years...

But both Rafa and Nole (and Murray!) were toasted by the end of the year. And it's a fact, not an excuse. (I'm speaking for myself.) Nobody can deny they were dead tired this late into the season, however, that's their own fault only. Style of play and schedule made it difficult for them to win it.

On the other hand, Federer never gets tired (style of play, again), and his scheduling is quite intelligent (skipping Asia). I don't like his personality, and I cheered my heart out for Rafa, but it would be immature to say Federer didn't deserve this one, or that he hasn't been a huge favorite from day one. (Being an indoor giant kinda helps too.)

By the way, I didn't vote this poll. I love Olympics because it's so rarely held, and it's... well, THE Olympic Games; I love Davis Cup because of its tradition and because there's a refreshment in shape of a team game; and I love WTF because the deserving top 8 go head to head in a different format (I prefer the knock-out type of competition, but again, refreshment in format is always good).

So if I were a player, I'd LOVE to win all three equally (plus every Major, plus every Masters 1000). It would only show I'm capable of practically everything (like Agassi).

DC = Olympics = WTF

:)

manadrainer
12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Any references for this?

But both Rafa and Nole (and Murray!) were toasted by the end of the year. And it's a fact, not an excuse. (I'm speaking for myself.) Nobody can deny they were dead tired this late into the season, however, that's their own fault only. Style of play and schedule made it difficult for them to win it.

On the other hand, Federer never gets tired (style of play, again), and his scheduling is quite intelligent (skipping Asia). I don't like his personality, and I cheered my heart out for Rafa, but it would be immature to say Federer didn't deserve this one, or that he hasn't been a huge favorite from day one. (Being an indoor giant kinda helps too.)

By the way, I didn't vote this poll. I love Olympics because it's so rarely held, and it's... well, THE Olympic Games; I love Davis Cup because of its tradition and because there's a refreshment in shape of a team game; and I love WTF because the deserving top 8 go head to head in a different format (I prefer the knock-out type of competition, but again, refreshment in format is always good).

So if I were a player, I'd LOVE to win all three equally (plus every Major, plus every Masters 1000). It would only show I'm capable of practically everything (like Agassi).

DC = Olympics = WTF

:)

Ok, I like this post more than some others (from known rafatards) saying that winning WTF is easier than winning a 250 tournament... :)

Telegram Sam
12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Ok, I like this post more than some others (from known rafatards) saying that winning WTF is easier than winning a 250 tournament... :)

I'm sure any player in the world would love to get WTF, Nadal more than any other -- it's the ONLY big trophy he's still missing. But, considering his punishing style of play, fact it is played so late in season, indoor conditions and a few other factors (Federer), it's the toughest task for him (he said that himself in 2010 - "More difficult than a Slam."). And this is a man who won SIX Roland Garros titles -- the most draining tournament out there, and he made it look so easy to win on a few occasions.

I really hope he'll do it one day. He was bursting with confidence last year -- too bad that SF with Murray drained him completely (again, this is not an excuse; it's Nadal's own fault he didn't finish him off in second set). We'll see what'll happen.

I'm not a tard, dude. I'm Nadal's fan for life, but it doesn't mean I'm delusional.

juninhOH
12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
For the retards who say Davis Cup is a joke and missed today's match, I pity you :)

Chris Kuerten
12-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Give me a break. You're telling us that Messi and Ronaldo are irelevant for the world of sports because they haven't won an olympic medal. Is Schumacher also irelevant?You're twisting my words.

I only said the olympics are way more relevant in the world outside tennis than the WTF and Davis Cup.

Leo
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm surprised by most of the answers in this thread, but it really depends on each player.

At this very moment, I rank them as follows:
1. Olympic Gold
2. Davis Cup
3. WTF

Let's be real. The WTF is completely WTF right now. It does not carry any of the same prestige it had as the Masters in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, even early 2000s. There were some crucial mistakes the tour made to lessen its prestige, including moving the tournament briefly to Houston where it was played outdoors (was key to keep it indoors) and, more importantly, making the finals best-of-3. The WTF has been a complete and utter joke since moving to London because of that terrible surface they created - this year's WTF was worst in tennis history and lacked passion/motivation from the world's best players Djokovic and Nadal. They didn't even give a crap.

Meanwhile, DC still has its prestige. And being an Olympic champion means being an Olympic champion. WTF sucks now, NID.

tektonac
12-04-2011, 07:49 PM
in the order in which federer doesn't own them.

shiaben
12-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Don't care about any of them except the grand slams ;)

swisht4u
12-04-2011, 08:48 PM
WTF of course.

The DC is more of a team effort and the Olympics doesn't help a resume much.
Just look no further than the points given.

Sonja1989
12-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Olympics > Davis Cup > WTF IMO

Yolita
12-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Olympics > Davis Cup > WTF

In other sports, like football (soccer, for the Americans), and olympic gold is not as important as the World Cup. But every tennis player out there would love to win the Olympic Gold. The fact that it's only every 4 years adds to its value.

Every year, when I watch the Davis Cup final, I'm amazed by the intensity of the emotions on display, but sad and happy. And retired players, like Moya, when asked about their greatest memories, never fail to mention Davis Cup if they have won it. It's very important.

WTF should be more important than it has become. But because of the schedule, many players don't really get there in a very good shape or with a lot of hunger. Compare the Nadal we saw in Sevilla with the Nadal we saw in London, compare the looks on his face. Clearly Davis Cup mattered to him 100 times more than WTF. The same about Novak last year. Right or wrong, it's a fact.

Another thing that makes the WTF almost look like a glorified exhibition is the scheduling: if you are a serious tournament, you cannot schedule the matches in such a way that one semifinalist will play Thursday at 2pm, the other Friday at 8pm and then have the semi on Saturday at 2pm for both. One player gets 48 hours between matches and the other 18 hours? That's a joke. I cannot take the results seriously.

Novak has won the WTF and the Davis Cup. I'm hoping that 2012 will be the year he wins the olympic gold. :devil:

rocketassist
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Any of them would be one to cherish a lifetime, but personally DC by a looong way, providing I was a key player in the side. Being a passenger wouldn't appeal one bit.

Manequin75
12-05-2011, 03:00 AM
on an average each player will typically only be able to compete in 2 olympics. That gives him only two chances to win in his career (some might have 3 but I would guess the third would be with them pushing or past age of 30). Rafa won this in 2008 and if he wins it again next year eh would have denied his main rivals the olympic gold. I don't think Federer, Murray or Novak will be top contenders in 2016.

So just for that i would value the olympic gold as #1 among these three.

For Davis cup you need to be playing good tennis throughout the year to progress. Also a great champion will inspire his teammates to perform which in my opinion is often overlooked in a sport like tennis. That is why I enjoy davis cup. The crowds are more fun and very interactive. WTF is prestigious as in everybody tries to qualify and only the top 8 make it. Its a different set up than other major tournaments like slams - its indoor, RR format, best of three which i don't fancy in important events, late in the year. But it has glamour and excitement and fans love it. SO its tough to compare davis cup with wtf - depends on the player in question. Rafa would want wtf over another davis cup. Fed might go for one davis cup rather than a 7th WTF. But for sure Fed is totally working to get the OLYMPIC gold :)

leng jai
12-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Olympics. The achievement transcends tennis and puts you more prominently in the sporting history of your country.

echf
12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
For me, Olympics >> WTF > Davis Cup.
The first inequality should be clear: olympics is the biggest achievement in most sports and tennis should be no
exception (although for now I guess everyone agrees Grand Slams are more important). The second because tennis is first and foremost an individual sport. A WTF title is your own achievement while a Davis Cup isn't entirely. (Conversely, you can be a superb player and not get one due to not being in a strong team, like Federer). Also only the top 8 players take part in the WTF, which should add to its prestige (although it seems most of them are too tired to play at their best).

iriraz
12-05-2011, 08:49 AM
For me, Olympics >> WTF > Davis Cup.
The first inequality should be clear: olympics is the biggest achievement in most sports and tennis should be no
exception (although for now I guess everyone agrees Grand Slams are more important). The second because tennis is first and foremost an individual sport. A WTF title is your own achievement while a Davis Cup isn't entirely. (Conversely, you can be a superb player and not get one due to not being in a strong team, like Federer). Also only the top 8 players take part in the WTF, which should add to its prestige (although it seems most of them are too tired to play at their best).

The thing is tennis is not a sport that lives for the olympics like athletics,swimming,archery and others.U never hear of swimmers outside the olympics but tennis players make headlines every year all the time.I put tennis in the same boat as soccer.For soccer players World Cups,Champions Leagues are the goal but certainly not Olympics.

bokehlicious
12-05-2011, 09:01 AM
NID raftards :lol:

I guess RG > Monte Carlo> Barcelona > DC > W > AO > USO

Delusional tools.

------------------

DC is a joke, tennis is an individual sport, and unless you're lucky to come from a big tennis nation you'll never get the chance to win it. Period.

Shinoj
12-05-2011, 09:06 AM
DC is a good tournament to win it once in 10 or 15 year. If my country wins it once in an Era, i dont even care for the next years.

They should preserve the prestige of Davis Cup by holding it once in 4 years like a World Cup. Holding it every year doesnt mean much to be honest.

henke007
12-05-2011, 09:22 AM
WTF>Olympics>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DC:o

shadows
12-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Davis Cup is the dumbest event in tennis.

I guess Olympics first because of how rare the opportunity is, and WTF close behind.

feuselino
12-05-2011, 09:27 AM
WTF - Davis Cup - Olympics

Verdasco has won DC three times now, so how important can that tournament be? ;)
Tennis wasn't even an olympic discipline until quite recently (in tennis terms) - 1992 ...
WTF got the years 8 best players to battle it out, last man standing.

henke007
12-05-2011, 09:42 AM
DC is like Hockey WC a Joke.

zlaja777
12-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Olympics > Davis Cup > WTF.

jcempire
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
WTF of course the best one

Fed Express
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
WTF >>> Olympics >>>>>>>>>>>> Davis Cup

Pirata.
12-05-2011, 09:01 PM

More matches played any active player, if I'm remembering correctly.

Pirata.
12-05-2011, 09:07 PM
DC is a good tournament to win it once in 10 or 15 year. If my country wins it once in an Era, i dont even care for the next years.

They should preserve the prestige of Davis Cup by holding it once in 4 years like a World Cup. Holding it every year doesnt mean much to be honest.

People say this, and yet they always seem to forget that although the World Cup is every four years, the previous three are spent doing WC qualification matches, on top of that you have the Euros, Copa America, Gold Cup, etc., so it's not as if the World Cup is only restricted to a one month competition every four years, it runs in a cycle of qualifications and pre-events and friendlies etc.

Shinoj
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
People say this, and yet they always seem to forget that although the World Cup is every four years, the previous three are spent doing WC qualification matches, on top of that you have the Euros, Copa America, Gold Cup, etc., so it's not as if the World Cup is only restricted to a one month competition every four years, it runs in a cycle of qualifications and pre-events and friendlies etc.

Qualifier and the Main event are different. How would you like if the Qualifiers and shortened up for Football and the World Cup is held every year ....

GSMnadal
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Simon Reed article on the Davis Cup. Pretty much stating the obvious. Too bad for Roger he didn't stick to jinxing his slam chances, he added the Davis Cup to that as well. Oh, and now he can 'easily' see JMDP winning a slam next year. What happened to Fed and Murray cleaning up the slams?? Reed :worship:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon-reed/article/8330/

The Davis Cup is right up there as one of the very best tournaments on the circuit, and it really is a drug like no other for the players.

The competition means a great deal to all the players and staff involved, as well as the supporters, and the tradition and prestige is unmistakable.

It is like a drug to the players being able to perform in front of supporters from their own countries, and the adrenaline and emotion is distinct from other formats.

Each and every player feels the burden and expectation of representing their country, and seeing a top player like Juan Martin Del Potro left inconsolable after defeat was very heart-wrenching.

The Spanish really did themselves proud again, and the atmosphere was incredible. It was tennis in the team format at its very best.

There is talk about the Davis Cup being played over around two weeks, but that would be farcical - it has to be a standalone final.

Rafael Nadal says he will not play in the Davis Cup next year, but I think he would come in if Spain reach the final stages.

It is a real drain on top players' resources and Nadal was able, even in the euphoria of the victory, to declare that he does not want to feature in next season's competition.

I still don't think that Nadal played very well in Seville, and he has not been at his best this season.

Del Potro performed incredibly throughout, but after his monumental display in the epic with David Ferrer, he did very well to even be competitive in the fourth rubber.

There is no doubt about the fact that Del Potro is back, and I can easily see him winning a Grand Slam next season.

The Argentine cannot be discounted in any of the four Grand Slams, and he proved beyond any doubt that he can perform with the best even on clay with his powerful game very effective.

Next season will see the end of the so called 'top four' with Del Potro, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Tomas Berdych all in the mix for every big tournament.

We have clearly seen the dominance of the top four diminished throughout this season, and I think the players who have been on the periphery will continue to grow in stature.

But back to the Davis Cup, and it is tremendous for the competition that Roger Federer is going to be playing in the competition next year, however, and that is very exciting.

Switzerland will have to be one of the favourites for the tournament as a result of Federer coming back into the equation, along with Serbia of course.

The Swiss have never won the Davis Cup - they finished as runners-up in 1992 - and, with Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka involved they have every chance.

A lot has been said about the fact that Spain hosted the final, but I cannot see the same atmosphere being produced at a neutral venue and it would simply not be the same spectacle.

The authorities must leave the Davis Cup exactly as it is, and not attempt to tinker for the sake of it. The competition is positively thriving, and the current format is perfect.

The spectacle in Seville was absolutely incredible, and it was refreshing to see the top players - who so often are accused of only caring about money - battling for all their worth for their teams and countries.

samanosuke
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
God save anybody who gives :worship: to Reed

GSMnadal
12-06-2011, 06:30 PM
God save anybody who gives :worship: to Reed

Doesn't look too bright for someone who thinks there is a God to save those people.

What can I say, sometimes you just have to say too good, Reed, too good.

samanosuke
12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
What can I say, sometimes you just have to say too good, Reed, too good.

or too bad, to yourself, too bad

Sniperdoggy
05-23-2012, 01:16 AM
every 4 years there's the olympics and alot of people consider it the 5th slam for tennis do you??
do you even care about olympics do you think pro athletes like fed nadal should be playing there or it should only be for rookies your thoughts??

paseo
No.

Looner
No.........

Topspindoctor
05-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Nothing compares to a slam in tennis.

I would take Olympic gold over masters 1000 or a WTF though.

Sniperdoggy
05-23-2012, 01:22 AM
isn't the olympic gold in singles the only thing federer hasn't won am i right or wrong??

viruzzz
05-23-2012, 01:23 AM
He didn't won Rome, Montecarlo, Belgrade and Buenos Aires, also...

Olympics are not important as a slam, they're pretty important though, but improtant for the nation, more than for the player.

paseo
05-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Nothing compares to a slam in tennis.

I would take Olympic gold over masters 1000 or a WTF though.

over masters 1000, definitely. but over WTF? I don't know.

Olympic gold prestige transcends tennis. It's something that almost every sports person want to have. But, in the tennis community, I think the WTF still has more prestige.

fivebargate
05-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Olympic thread 3245.

No, no and thrice no. Maybe it will be one day....and quite wrongly.

hadouken!
05-23-2012, 02:30 AM
hell no

Pirata.
05-23-2012, 02:32 AM
No.

Cincinnati is the fifth slam. Hope this helps.

Topspindoctor
05-23-2012, 02:33 AM
No.

Cincinnati is the fifth slam. Hope this helps.

Wrong.

Basel is the fifth slam.

BauerAlmeida
05-23-2012, 02:34 AM
over masters 1000, definitely. but over WTF? I don't know.

Olympic gold prestige transcends tennis. It's something that almost every sports person want to have. But, in the tennis community, I think the WTF still has more prestige.

This.

-Grand Slam
-WTF
-Olympics
-Masters 1000

shiaben
05-23-2012, 02:35 AM
No. They merit more value for specific sports like gymnastics, wrestling, swimming, etc.

duchuy89
05-23-2012, 02:36 AM
I like Olympic.

stewietennis
05-23-2012, 02:51 AM
To sports in general, an Olympic gold has a lot of value. To tennis, specifically, because there's not much tennis history in the Olympics, it doesn't hold much weight on its own. However, as a supplement to an already complete resume, it's pretty great and always mentioned when going through the career achievements of Graf, Agassi and Nadal.

yesh222
05-23-2012, 04:52 AM
No. But being at Wimbledon this year will make it the most valuable Olympics in history. I think, even if a WTF is usually worth more than an Olympic Gold, this year the medal is worth more.

PitsOfTheWorld
05-23-2012, 04:53 AM
This year, I think it will be as close to a fifth slam as you can get. Generally though, and in the future? Nah.

Chirag
05-23-2012, 04:55 AM
of course not .There is no 5th slam as nothing compares to one :shrug:

Puschkin
05-23-2012, 06:42 AM
A big no.

Though one of my all-time favourite players is an Olympic champion (but a GS-winner, too) I somehow cannot get really excited about "Olympic tennis".

bokehlicious
05-23-2012, 06:53 AM
WTF >>>>>>>> Olympics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Davis Cup

Pirata.
05-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Wrong.

Basel is the fifth slam.

Memphis :bowdown:

duong
05-23-2012, 07:42 AM
A big no.

Though one of my all-time favourite players is an Olympic champion (but a GS-winner, too) I somehow cannot get really excited about "Olympic tennis".

same for me the Olympics are about other sports in my eyes, and tennis has enough big competitions, doesn't need the Olympics.

WTF>Davis cup>>Olympics (which I will hardly watch, probably only the final, maybe the semi if Fed is there)

Historical tennis events first (the one with the biggest history being the Davis cup but it's a team event, should not be seen as an individual's win because it takes some of the Davis cup's credit and charm),

leave Olympics for the Olympic sports.

Sophocles
05-23-2012, 10:01 AM
When the Olympics are on I'll be watching proper Olympic sports.

It's terrible how underestimated Davis Cup is here. The order for anybody with a clue about tennis is Davis Cup, Masters, Olympics.

tripwires
05-23-2012, 10:09 AM
When the Olympics are on I'll be watching proper Olympic sports.

It's terrible how underestimated Davis Cup is here. The order for anybody with a clue about tennis is Davis Cup, Masters, Olympics.

Exactly. Olympics tennis is so overhyped. I'd take a Davis Cup over an Olympics gold (in tennis) for sure.