Lendl not impressed by Fed's late season surge? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lendl not impressed by Fed's late season surge?

FedvsNole
12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
When Lendl was asked what he has made of Federer's past two months, in the wake of blowing match points against Djokovic at the U.S. Open for the second straight year, he replied: "People tend to overthink all of this. Let's see what happens in Australia."

To me that pretty much says he doesn't make much of roger winning the last 3 events carrying into Australia perhaps like bet you won't see it continue come AO 2012 watch and see. Just a vibe I got from how it was phrased.

SerialKillerToBe
12-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Practically every player other than Federer was tired for these last few tournaments. You'll see the outcome when Federer has to face fully fresh opponents the beginning of next year.

finishingmove
12-03-2011, 05:35 AM
All those clowns saying Federer could win 3 slams next year should have their freedom of speech taken away.

Good to see Lendl is still not senile.

leng jai
12-03-2011, 06:03 AM
No slam no impress

SetSampras
12-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Not much to be impressed by.. Bottom line, the YEC doesn't carry nearly the same prestige anymore compared to the when the top dogs were scratching and crawling for it 20-30 years ago. Fed had a good late season surge here.. But Fed is held to a high standard really.. And the past 2 years, his main surge have came at the very end of the season when the other guys are burned out, injured, just picking up some extra cash.

I don't believe Nole cared about the YEC at all.. It was obvious.. Judging by the way Nadal has upped his game at the Davis Cup contrasted to the YEC, he didn't seem to care as much either.

sco
12-03-2011, 06:22 AM
Lendl is correct. In the grand scheme of things, only the GSs matter. But IMO it's important for Fed to have these victories so that he'll continue to have hope that he can add to that GS total. I don't think he could go almost 2 years not winning any thing and falling down the rankings as Pete did and continue to play. He's got a wife and 2 kids - it's a lot harder to keep working hard. It'll get harder too as the twins reach pre-school/kindergarten age (activities, friends, etc.) - when they're young, mom and dad are enough.

Kat_YYZ
12-03-2011, 06:28 AM
"Federer's victory took him past Pete Sampras and Ivan Lendl's tally of five Tour Finals crowns and also equalled Lendl's record 39 match wins in the event."
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-11-28/top-stories/30449810_1_70th-title-roger-federer-jo-wilfried-tsonga

Somebody's got his panties in a knot about his name dropping down in the record books :rolleyes: :baby:

Shinoj
12-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Federer will do good in the AO. One of main concerns Federer would have was his fitness concerns, considering he is 30. but the way he has performed at the Year end is quite impressive. He was dishing out tennis lessons to blokes who were 4 or 5 years younger. This was important as it shows his fitness level still holds up well.

Action Jackson
12-03-2011, 06:37 AM
"Federer's victory took him past Pete Sampras and Ivan Lendl's tally of five Tour Finals crowns and also equalled Lendl's record 39 match wins in the event."
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-11-28/top-stories/30449810_1_70th-title-roger-federer-jo-wilfried-tsonga

Somebody's got his panties in a knot about his name dropping down in the record books :rolleyes: :baby:

Not at all, just you being hypersensitive.

shiaben
12-03-2011, 06:44 AM
I don't think Lendl was being sincere, knowing him well, he was just displaying his cold behavior. If it was someone else saying this, maybe I would have agreed to an extent.

tennis2tennis
12-03-2011, 07:04 AM

:worship:

swisht4u
12-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Lendl is telling it how it is. Slams count.

Fed got a masters he never made even a final in.
Another WTF title, taking the record for wins there.
Really good additions to his resume.

He got a decent year because of his late run.

But for sure, lets see what he does at the AO.

Action Jackson
12-03-2011, 07:14 AM
At this later stage of Federer's career it's about the Slams even more so than before.

It's alright when Federer answers a question honestly, but not ok when someone else does it. Can't have it both ways.

swisht4u
12-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Not much to be impressed by.. Bottom line, the YEC doesn't carry nearly the same prestige anymore compared to the when the top dogs were scratching and crawling for it 20-30 years ago. Fed had a good late season surge here.. But Fed is held to a high standard really.. And the past 2 years, his main surge have came at the very end of the season when the other guys are burned out, injured, just picking up some extra cash.

I don't believe Nole cared about the YEC at all.. It was obvious.. Judging by the way Nadal has upped his game at the Davis Cup contrasted to the YEC, he didn't seem to care as much either.

Every player cares about the WTF.
It's just that Djokovic couldn't do anything about it, he was either worn out and/or still not completely over his injury.

Nadal also wanted this one badly but the surface is just not good for him though he still has time.

Prestige matters but you still have to win and the WTF is one tough tournament no matter what the prestige.

Besides, Fed had the same struggles as everyone else this year.

fsoica
12-03-2011, 07:30 AM
I remember very well when, a few years ago, when Roger just started to threaten a few of the records, a bitter Lendl was calling for all of us to be pacient and to wait for Roger's future to unfold. He had the numbers on his side back then: Usopen consecutive finals, Wtf finals and many more, and Roger's numbers were just starting to increase...Now things are changed, but not Lendl's bitterness...

Anyway, I agree that Roger needs to win a slam in order to proove he still has it, but one thing I am sure of. When that will happen (and I am sure it will happen at some point in the future), the detractors will find lots'of excuses: burn out opponents, easy draw, bad schedule, bad weather, Berdych and Tsonga choking, old injuries of we know who....So I cannot care less about Lendl and all the haters on MTF...

Kat_YYZ
12-03-2011, 07:42 AM
At this later stage of Federer's career it's about the Slams even more so than before.

It's alright when Federer answers a question honestly, but not ok when someone else does it. Can't have it both ways.

I think Lendl could have actually commented on Federer's run rather than just blowing it off.

I think Fed has nothing left to prove at slams.

And I think it's unfortunate that an influential former player is adding his voice the "only slams matter" mantra. Treating all other tournaments as filler and warm-ups for slams doesn't serve the tour or the sport.

tennis2tennis
12-03-2011, 07:44 AM

The importance of the WTF has nothing to do with roger's season per say but it has a historical and record breaking significance and hearing Lendl down play the WTF the same year his record got broken reeks of an inferiority complex and as this SI piece shows the (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/bruce_jenkins/11/29/federer/index.html?sct=tn_wr_a2)WTF demonstrates (like Sampras beofre him) the longivity of Roger's game, style and athleticism at 30 playing against guys at the peak of their game
in 2004, 2006 and 2007 Federer won 3 majors and went on to win the WTF -
in 2005 he won 2 majors and went on to win the WTF
so that puts a crack the size of the grand canyon on the excuse (used by some fans here) of excessive play/success for failure of certain players

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 07:46 AM
lend's talking like he was winning 3 slams per age at this stage

dabeast
12-03-2011, 07:51 AM
in 2005 he won 2 majors and went on to win the WTF

so that puts a crack the size of the grand canyon on the excuse (used by some fans here) of excessive play/success for failure of certain players

Fed lost in 5 @ TMC Shanghai :(

alter ego
12-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Either Lendl is a bitter tool or the press twisted his words.

paseo
12-03-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm with Lendl here. I don't think Fed's run in the last 3 tournaments is that impressive.

But, it's gonna be impressive when he wins AO next year!

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 08:18 AM
But, it's gonna be impressive when he wins AO next year!

nice attempt of jinxing . just your mojo is too weak for something like that

Foxy
12-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Actually Lendl is right. Feds didn't play anybody in those 3 tournaments. :shrug:

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Actually Lendl is right. Feds didn't play anybody in those 3 tournaments. :shrug:

ohh you are right then . just one cheating pig who ate the bagel looked familiar to me . but clearly I messed up something :shrug:

fmolinari2005
12-03-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't actually see Lendl blowing off Fed's surge. All I see is him saying that we should wait and see for next year's season to find out if he will carry this form. Of course there are other things to be noticed:

- extremelly bad timing to say something like that after you get another one of your record broken: if Fed himself said that about, I don't know, Nadal we know what would happen in here (Fed is an arrogant prick, sore loser, blah, blah, blah).
- picking up one sentence out of an interview/ article seems like an atempt to stir things up on this forum (seems like baiting to me).

However, if this DC tie is showing one thing is that we cannot just put Nadal's bad form at the YEC due to "tiredeness, mental exhaustion and lost of love for the game". So it is not as if Federer and Tsonga had just to show up at London to beat Nadal- which is the Rafatard`s main theory on why the YEC sucks.

alter ego
12-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Just won 7 times against top 8 players, it's not as if he had real opositon like I don't know... Monaco. :haha:

bokehlicious
12-03-2011, 08:34 AM

Imagine Fed saying "well, obviously Roland Garros is the least important slam". You think people would just take it as "honesty"?

bokehlicious
12-03-2011, 08:35 AM

6-3 6-0. Ouch.

vojomocart
12-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes it is a big thing to win 3 strong tournaments in a row , but for most of former tennis pro's, it is not compared to winning a Slam.
I agree with that!

And this comes from a Fed supporter :)

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 09:17 AM
6-3 6-0. Ouch.

Yup, that was such an important beatdown. Want to trade it for the Roland Garros final?

Federer is never winning a slam again, FACT.

Action Jackson
12-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Imagine Fed saying "well, obviously Roland Garros is the least important slam". You think people would just take it as "honesty"?

There is nothing remotely controversial about Lendl's comments or the fact that this streak is nice and all, but it's about the GS count for Federer now.

alter ego
12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Yup, that was such an important beatdown. Want to trade it for the Roland Garros final?

Federer is never winning a slam again, FACT.

Want to bet on that? :lol:

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Want to bet on that? :lol:

I don't bet with strangers.

But it would be a no brainer otherwise. Tell me, when was the last time Fed won a slam? My brain has trouble remembering stuff that happened ages ago.

alter ego
12-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I don't bet with strangers.

:haha:
You obviously have a very bad memory. :o

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=11515090&postcount=141

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 09:36 AM
:haha:
You obviously have a very bad memory. :o

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=11515090&postcount=141

Yes, I'll make a similar bet like that one, just not with money is what I meant... Quote me, sig me, do whatever makes you feel the best, the moment Fed wins #17.

I'll do the same when Olderer finally sees he can't keep up with the top two in tennis anymore on the big stage. Might as well do it already

Purple Rainbow
12-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Anytime you go 17-0 it's impressive, especially if said streak contains a string of wins over top 10 opponents.

paseo
12-03-2011, 10:04 AM
nice attempt of jinxing . just your mojo is too weak for something like that

Oh shit, man, you're right :sad: How do I un-jinx this? Or better yet, how do I strengthen my mojo? :D

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh shit, man, you're right :sad: How do I un-jinx this? Or better yet, how do I strengthen my mojo? :D

Only one thing can save this, an anti-jinx by the man himself: Simon Reed.

Too bad for you he already strenghtened your jinx with one of his own.

FedvsNole
12-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Look fed ended the year with confidence but what was most impressive for him was his return of 1st serves from tsonga (leads atp in aces) and berdych was much much better than it has been. In fact, his overall return game will at least ensure he gets to the semi's of AO and doesn't have a big hitter shock him in the quarters or earlier.

When he runs into nole in AO SF it depends what's more likely to happen. Is nole after ending the season burnt out and or injured after a month break going to reach the AO 2011 level of form in his match vs federer? Nole will be the favorite and all the pressure will be on him as he will be expected to win and roger will be the underdog. I would bet nole does not have the same level in the SF in 2012 as he did in 2011 then the match is wide open. If only fed could be in nadal's half where nadal would most likely not make it to his semi's and at least this way we'd have a great final with fed-nole rather than seeing nole destroy nadal/murray in the finals.

P.S. Oh I saw nole with his super hot girlfriend on some photoshoot she is so damn hot nole is not going to want to be away too long training from her and god who could blame him.

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Look fed ended the year with confidence but what was most impressive for him was his return of 1st serves from tsonga (leads atp in aces) and berdych was much much better than it has been. In fact, his overall return game will at least ensure he gets to the semi's of AO and doesn't have a big hitter shock him in the quarters or earlier.

When he runs into nole in AO SF it depends what's more likely to happen. Is nole after ending the season burnt out and or injured after a month break going to reach the AO 2011 level of form in his match vs federer? Nole will be the favorite and all the pressure will be on him as he will be expected to win and roger will be the underdog. I would bet nole does not have the same level in the SF in 2012 as he did in 2011 then the match is wide open. If only fed could be in nadal's half where nadal would most likely not make it to his semi's and at least this way we'd have a great final with fed-nole rather than seeing nole destroy nadal/murray in the finals.

Now all he has to hope for is that he doesn't beat Simon, could ruin his season again :sad:

tripwires
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
The WTF isn't a slam, but it's still a prestigious tournaments no matter what the Nadaltards say.

That said, I don't think Lendl really dissed Fed here. All he's saying is that we should wait until the AO (and beyond, presumably) to see what Roger does, and I agree with that to a certain extent. I'm beyond happy that he went on a rampage during the indoors season and winning a record-breaking 6th WTF title was amazing. But it would be more amazing if he won another slam or two.

And let's be honest: his late surge last season didn't really translate into any concrete slam victories this year, so you can't really blame Lendl for saying what he did (assuming it wasn't taken out of context).

manadrainer
12-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Too good Rafatards trying to downplay WTF importance... only because their god can't win one. Even Rafa said he cares a lot about this trophy.

Too good also the way SetSampras tries to make it sound like this event has lost importance, may I remind you Fed has been the undefeated champion 5 times out of 6 victories, while Sampras could never win one without being undefeated?

dodo
12-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Read the first post, then skipped to last page.
Not at all surprised by what is here.
Why WOULDNT every thread be a pissing contest?

Vida
12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
lends saying it like it is.

fran70
12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
The WTF isn't a slam, but it's still a prestigious tournaments no matter what the Nadaltards say.

That said, I don't think Lendl really dissed Fed here. All he's saying is that we should wait until the AO (and beyond, presumably) to see what Roger does, and I agree with that to a certain extent. I'm beyond happy that he went on a rampage during the indoors season and winning a record-breaking 6th WTF title was amazing. But it would be more amazing if he won another slam or two.

And let's be honest: his late surge last season didn't really translate into any concrete slam victories this year, so you can't really blame Lendl for saying what he did (assuming it wasn't taken out of context).

I agree with you. Besides there isn`t nothing wrong with Roger not winning a Slam at this stage of his career. Just bear in mind that Djoko won 3 of them this year and Roger was the only player that almost ruined his chances to win the US Open and the one that put him aside of winning the French Open.

I think Roger had a fantastic year considering that he is 30 years old and almost at the end of his career. Probably he will never win another GS as I don`t see him playing any longer 7 matches to five sets during two weeks in a row with the same efficiency and stamina that he had some years ago.

So I don`t see anything wrong on Lendl`s words.

nalbyfan
12-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Lendl is not the only one not to be impressed by goat's cheese end of season, he was fresh because he played pooly all the season...last year he did the same and all his worshippers predicted he would have a great 2011...

alter ego
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Lendl is not the only one not to be impressed by goat's cheese end of season, he was fresh because he played pooly all the season...last year he did the same and all his worshippers predicted he would have a great 2011...

Fed has won so many titles in the end of the season because he is by far the best indoor player. Hope this helps.

devinmoose
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Why all the Federer bashing, people? The difference between this season's late surge as opposed to last year's is that Feds won the BNP Parisbas Open for the very first time, and will be carrying a 17-match win streak in to 2012.

I love how someone stated that Nadal stepped up his play against Monaco in the Davis Cup. Who is Monaco? Didn't Federer destroy him at the US Open this year? If you guys think Nadal was conserving energy vs Federer at the ATP World Tour Finals, that's fine. It's a big event, everyone was watching, and he continued to shout 'vamos' as he was getting his @ss hammered by Federer.

Why did Nadal fight back against Tsonga after being a set down in their match-up to reach the semis?

Look, Nadal can't beat Djokovic, on any surface. Federer whipped Djoker at the French, and was in the process of annihilating him at the US, 2 sets up, and even when Djokovic came back to force a 5th set, Federer flicked the switch to recapture his play from early stages of the match, until of course he had a complete meltdown. Just remember Djokovic was the one with his thumbs up conceding defeat to the greatest of all time, Roger Federer.

If Federer can keep his head in the game, and not suffer these periods where his mind wanders and he plays ultra defensive tennis when his back is up against the wall, he's still the guy to beat.

BTW Will Nadal or Djokovic even get a sniff at Federer's 16 Grand Slam Titles?

Check out my articles on Bleacher Report - http://bleacherreport.com/users/514226-devin-moosaie

Time Violation
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM

:yeah:

Sophocles
12-03-2011, 01:34 PM
The thread title is misleading and Lendl is stating the obvious. Move along people, there's nothing to see here.

peRfect-Tennis
12-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Lendl just sounds bitter to me. It doesn't take a genius to work out a slam is more important, but a strong end to the season is important!

timafi
12-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Had Nadal won he'd be on the floor rolling like a pig in fresh mud and possibly crying

had Djokovic won he'd be beating on his chest and screaming

Looner
12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
All those clowns saying Federer could win 3 slams next year should have their freedom of speech taken away.

Good to see Lendl is still not senile.

The only clowns here are the Serbs who fail to see Fed was a few points (here and there) away from beating Djoko 3 times in a slam this year. Imagine if Djoker's had a bit less confidence and bit less luck? Yup, that's it. Fed will probably be sitting on a slam if not two this year.

Start da Game
12-03-2011, 02:51 PM
lendl is totally right......it doesn't take a genius to figure out that nobody gives a shit about these events after the us open......slams are the ultimate deal.....nadal and djokovic looked demotivated and disinterested after the us open......even masters 1000 man murray was injured after the asian swing......so no point in taking these useless results all that seriously......

australian open will be a different story as usual......

Bobby
12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
lendl is totally right......it doesn't take a genius to figure out that nobody gives a shit about these events after the us open......slams are the ultimate deal.....nadal and djokovic looked demotivated and disinterested after the us open......even masters 1000 man murray was injured after the asian swing......so no point in taking these useless results all that seriously......

australian open will be a different story as usual......

It's not really Federer's fault if Nadal and Djokovic decide that the season is over after the US Open. Nadal wasn't disinterested, he just didn't play well.

tripwires
12-03-2011, 03:03 PM

:rolleyes: Playing poorly = snapping Djokovic's winning streak at the French Open? Great logic there.

These Nadaltards dissing the WTF should take a crash course on tennis history. What a bunch of clowns, seriously.

Sunset of Age
12-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Llendl is just stating the obvious.
Of course Fed has had a fantastic end to this year's season and what he's done is nothing to piss on. Still, this doesn't mean anything for the upcoming season - wasn't it exactly the same way last year as well?

It's rather funny to see fanboys (of whatever kind or form) immediately jumping to fantastic expectations for the upcoming season after a string of good results of their favourite player - or in some cases, even after ONE decent match. ;)

thehotstuff66
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm a big Lendl fan and he's the reason i got into tennis all those years ago and Fed is my next best tennis player. They are apples and oranges. The things i loved about Lendl was his work ethic and training, his thumbing his nose at political correctness and doing things his own way, his drive and how he always just seemed to piss John Macenro off, loved it....by contrast, i love Fed's honesty, even when what he says doesnt appeal to many and his beautiful game of tennis and feel that he is a role model for many.

I didnt find anything wrong with what Lendl said. He values grand slams and he wants to see what Roger does at the AO....I dont even thing Roger would take offense at that....

I want everyone healthy and playing and at the end of the tournament, i want to see who is still standing.

cat

nsidhan
12-03-2011, 03:53 PM
A late season surge for ANY player would not have mattered. Look what happened to Kolya in 2010 or Nole in 2009 or Fed in 2011.

Everything is reset once the new season starts.

nobama
12-03-2011, 03:53 PM
And I think it's unfortunate that an influential former player is adding his voice the "only slams matter" mantra. Treating all other tournaments as filler and warm-ups for slams doesn't serve the tour or the sport.
This. It's bad enough that the clowns on ESPN do this all the time (seems every tournament that's not a slam is called a "tune-up" by them). Also who's overreacting regarding Fed'sfall success? I haven't seen any journalists or former players saying he's going to sweep the slams next year or some other ridiculous statement.

I'm curious we're the end of season events dismissed in the 80s and 90s the way they are today? If they're all meaningless because everyone is T&I then end the season after the US Open and be done with it.

nobama
12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
When Lendl was asked what he has made of Federer's past two months, in the wake of blowing match points against Djokovic at the U.S. Open for the second straight year, he replied: "People tend to overthink all of this. Let's see what happens in Australia."

To me that pretty much says he doesn't make much of roger winning the last 3 events carrying into Australia perhaps like bet you won't see it continue come AO 2012 watch and see. Just a vibe I got from how it was phrased.
Do you have a link to the source of this quote?

fmolinari2005
12-03-2011, 04:29 PM
My brain has trouble remembering stuff that happened ages ago.

That you didn`t need to tell us. It is pretty obvious you have limited brain resources.

HKz
12-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Lendl is exactly right, just wait until Australia. Things can happen very quickly. However, whatever happens, whether he makes a great run or if he falters, both results would be unsurprising. So Lendl obviously has merit to say such things because tennis is quite unpredictable for the most part. At the beginning of 2010, nobody would have guessed what would have happened with the rest of the year just like 2011.

However, it certainly can be said that Federer obviously looks like the best player out there right now. Nadal/Djokovic burnt out after getting a rather good rest after USO? I don't think so. What does this say about everyone's physical status for the future?

Egreen
12-03-2011, 04:41 PM
The problem is none of the tournaments Federer won recently are BO5. Hence Lendl's lack of confidence. As we saw vs. Tsonga at Wimbledon and vs. Nole at the USO, BO5 is a different animal to BO3 these days for Federer. If those matches against Tsonga at Wimbledon and Nole at the USO were BO3, Federer would have won the matches.

HKz
12-03-2011, 04:53 PM
The problem is none of the tournaments Federer won recently are BO5. Hence Lendl's lack of confidence. As we saw vs. Tsonga at Wimbledon and vs. Nole at the USO, BO5 is a different animal to BO3 these days for Federer. If those matches against Tsonga at Wimbledon and Nole at the USO were BO3, Federer would have won the matches.

What? lol. Has nothing to do with those individual matches. If Federer couldn't a take a set off and looked like he was struggling physically, then you could make some type of argument, but he was in the driver's seat in both matches with obviously having match points in his match against Djokovic, unless you are going to seriously try to argue that Federer didn't have enough stamina to win the last point in that particular match.. Fact is, while he doesn't have the physical strength of his peak form, I really don't see how people are claiming he lacks so much stamina at this point. Hell, he made the finals of the French Open, by far his most difficult tournament. He just needs to mentally get over that last hurdle or two at the slams and he is bound to pick up at least one. It'll be difficult either way, but it is certainly possible.

Egreen
12-03-2011, 04:59 PM
What? lol. Has nothing to do with those individual matches. If Federer couldn't a take a set off and looked like he was struggling physically, then you could make some type of argument, but he was in the driver's seat in both matches with obviously having match points in his match against Djokovic, unless you are going to seriously try to argue that Federer didn't have enough stamina to win the last point in that particular match.. Fact is, while he doesn't have the physical strength of his peak form, I really don't see how people are claiming he lacks so much stamina at this point. Hell, he made the finals of the French Open, by far his most difficult tournament. He just needs to mentally get over that last hurdle or two at the slams and he is bound to pick up at least one. It'll be difficult either way, but it is certainly possible.

Unfortunately, Federer has not won a slam in two years and in sports it's all about what have you done for me lately.

HKz
12-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, Federer has not won a slam in two years and in sports it's all about what have you done for me lately.

What does that have to do with best of 3/5? It is merely just a mental hurdle right now. Or are you going to claim from the Australian Open 2008 to Australian Open 2011, Djokovic was weak physically? No. Similarly, Novak was just not in it mentally when it mattered most. Fact is, Federer has gotten to these latter stages plenty of times the past 2 years and has just struggled mentally, especially at Wimbledon.

Matt01
12-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Lendl is exactly right

This. Lendl knows his stuff. Thread can be closed now.

shadows
12-03-2011, 05:31 PM
This isn't Lendl saying "only slams matter", nor is it him saying that Fed's end of season run is unimpressive.

It's not an overstatement to say that people overthink end of season performance when it comes to judging the following year. We're into what passes as an off season for tennis, who knows what will happen in January. Perhaps a well rested Djokovic blasts everyone away again or perhaps he comes out looking as mortal as he ended this year, perhaps Federer keeps winning all the way through to another AO crown or perhaps he stumbles early, perhaps Murray learns to attack and beats everyone (lol who am I kidding)...

With an off season behind them and a fresh slate for the new year, form from the end of the previous year really doesn't count for too much.

Shirogane
12-03-2011, 05:32 PM
The thread title is misleading and Lendl is stating the obvious. Move along people, there's nothing to see here.Ok.

MM_1257
12-03-2011, 05:38 PM
I remember very well when, a few years ago, when Roger just started to threaten a few of the records, a bitter Lendl was calling for all of us to be pacient and to wait for Roger's future to unfold. He had the numbers on his side back then: Usopen consecutive finals, Wtf finals and many more, and Roger's numbers were just starting to increase...Now things are changed, but not Lendl's bitterness...

Anyway, I agree that Roger needs to win a slam in order to proove he still has it, but one thing I am sure of. When that will happen (and I am sure it will happen at some point in the future), the detractors will find lots'of excuses: burn out opponents, easy draw, bad schedule, bad weather, Berdych and Tsonga choking, old injuries of we know who....So I cannot care less about Lendl and all the haters on MTF...

:yeah::worship:

tangerine_dream
12-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Lendl not impressed by Fed's late season surge?
Most intelligent people would agree with Lendl.

Who did Roger beat? A bunch of injured, exhausted players.

DrJules
12-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Lendl has always had a rational and objective view on tennis.

Before Federer had overtaken the Sampras total of grand slams when asked who was greatest he said Sampras until Federer overtakes that total. Sadly cannot locate that video clip on You Tube.

Lendl is again talking sense and I agree.

Federer has dominated 3 events with best of 3 set matches and has not had to play over 5 sets. Remember under the best of 3 set format Federer would have beaten Tsonga at Wimbledon and Djokovic at the US Open. I still need to be convinced Federer can physically sustain over 5 sets the level he can show over best of 3 sets.

I am not sure the concentration and intensity is the same as 2004-2007 when Federer played week after week at this level.

Federer fans need to accept all players decline and although they will have great matches and periods in their later career they will not sustain the level of their peak period.

juan27
12-03-2011, 06:10 PM

Before Federer had overtaken the Sampras total of grand slams when asked who was greatest he said Sampras until Federer overtakes that total. Sadly cannot locate that video clip on You Tube.

Federer has dominated 3 events with best of 3 set matches and has not had to play over 5 sets. Remember under the best of 3 set format Federer would have beaten Tsonga at Wimbledon and Djokovic at the US Open. I still need to be convinced Federer can physically sustain over 5 sets the level he can show over best of 3 sets.

I am not sure the concentration and intensity is the same as 2004-2007 when Federer played week after week at this level.

Federer fans need to accept all players decline and although they will have great matches and periods in their later career they will not sustain the level of their peak period.

I remember thant lendl said that federer was the best of all and that nadal and federer should destroy his generation.

All ex legends say one thing and after others

tangerine_dream: the same thing that nadal had in 2010 with patetic competition all the year:wavey:

MatchFederer
12-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Lendl is bitter regarding Federer? I really don't think so, he's just telling it how he sees it and he's said many positive and glowing things about Roger on several occasions. Some of the sensitive responses in this thread are roflcopter-ish.

MM_1257
12-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I do not think anyone means that if you have a good late run means anythin for the next season. It is a good base to build on but it really means nothing. And also Roger knows that and he even said in his post match interview.

HKz
12-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I do remember reading somewhere that Lendl thought Federer would easily win at the very least 20 slams.

SetSampras
12-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Even if you are a Fed fan.. Rog winning over 20 slams would have made tennis a complete JOKE to watch. There would have been no reason to continue tuning into the slams. Everyone needs competition. Had Nadal not came along and made things interesting, Fed would have made a mockery of the game and viewership and popularity would have gone way down due to no rivalry.

Even if you don't care for Nadal.. He still saved the game of tennis in many ways. Imagine Roger with no Nadal? YIKES

Pirata.
12-03-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll do the same when Olderer finally sees he can't keep up with the top two in tennis anymore on the big stage

:confused:

Snapped Nole's streak and the only person to beat him in best of 5 format (nearly twice but mugged it up at USO), took Rafa to four sets on clay, beat him in London...how is he not able to keep up with them? Fed is doing just fine.

ssj100
12-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Even if you are a Fed fan.. Rog winning over 20 slams would have made tennis a complete JOKE to watch. There would have been no reason to continue tuning into the slams. Everyone needs competition. Had Nadal not came along and made things interesting, Fed would have made a mockery of the game and viewership and popularity would have gone way down due to no rivalry.

Even if you don't care for Nadal.. He still saved the game of tennis in many ways. Imagine Roger with no Nadal? YIKES

Even if tennis became a "complete joke" like you describe, people like you would still be posting thousands of times on internet forums like this. It would therefore still be closely followed. Hurts doesn't it.

samanosuke
12-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Clever guy this Federer . He didn't want win these shitty slam titles with which he wouldn't set a new record, already this 16 will stay forever . He rather peaked and won Paris with which set a new record for all 9 Master 1000 finals and tied with Agassi with winning 7/9 masters 1000 title . Just a weak after he didn't want that this mug Lendl would be named in same sentence with him for winning the most titles at WTF so he won one more . Shame that this mug Lendl doesn't hold any records anymore

guga2120
12-03-2011, 09:31 PM

I and many others have said this many times. There is no question Rafa, saved tennis. It was becoming a complete joke, with the one-sided dominance and level of competition, and then Rafa came along, and even though he was just a clay courter his mental and physical strength held up against Federer. He changed everything.

Eden
12-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Which Federer fans do you see on MTF who say that Roger is the same player as some years ago? ;)

Roger had a similiar ending to the season last year - he won Stockholm, Basel and London (where he beat Murray, Djokovic and Nadal...) - but we have seen what happened to him this year.

Roger's results at the Slams have been quite disappointing for a player with his ambitions, on the other hand 90% of the players on the tour would give everything for reaching a GS final and 2 GS SF's at least once in their career.

I think we all agree that Roger doesn't have to prove anything anymore and what ever he will achieve now is a bonus on an already incredible career.

If he would be able to win at least one more GS title it would be great but if he won't be able to do it that wouldn't take anything away from what he has achieved.

He beat Berdych and Tsonga in the last tournaments who were able to beat him a few times already and he won in Paris Bercy for the first time. Beside this he won the WTF for a record breaking 6 time. Every player would enjoy such an end to the season.

It will surely help Roger's selfconfidence that he was able to finish the season with a 17:0 winning streak, just as it will be positive for Rafa when he is going to win DC tomorrow with the Spanish team.

But their form right now won't be an indicator for what will happen in Australia. Same goes for Djokovic or Murray. Who would have thought 12 months ago that Novak would have such a dominant year?

It would be dangerous to write Roger off. No player wants to see him in the draw of a GS tournament.

Would he prefer to win one GS title instead of the WTF? I think we don't need an answer to it ;)

Sapeod
12-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Lendl? What does he know? Federer's end of the year was great, he can whine about losing his record in WTF, but nothing stops Fed's end of the year from being great. Bitter ol' Lendl :wavey: All about slams, huh? 16>>>>8 :wavey: Bye, Lendl! :wavey:

tripwires
12-04-2011, 07:49 AM

I think you'd be hardpressed to find a Federer fan with a functioning brain who denies that. However, it is the Federer detractors that seem to be denying this obvious fact. :)

Thanks for your post though. I quite agree. As a fan all that I hope for is that he sustains his intensity and concentration long enough to win another slam - he definitely still has the game for it and he's still healthy.

tennis2tennis
12-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Fed wasn't beaten in the first round of a major by journeymen his defeats came in the latter stages, he's been in contention all year round- he didn't do a nalbandian i.e. skip 70% of the season then have a huge surge at the end of the season...it's only then can we dismiss it as an accomplishment - he crossed the finishing line the strongest...now if the other top 3 players fell short it means their style is inferior endurance wise so rather than excuse them for being exhausted acknowledge Fed's stamina.

Fed's win should've rolled the question why can't nole and rafa win the WTF if roger can do it even in seasons where he won 3 majors and a finalist in another?

Kat_YYZ
12-04-2011, 08:17 AM
It's not like I expected Lendl to tip Federer for the calendar-year grand slam in 2012. :rolleyes: I just thought he'd say something like 'Federer is a great indoor player and it's amazing how he keeps himself fit throughout the year in order to finish strong. This will give him confidence going into 2012, you can never count him out..." etc, etc.

Federer was criticized for his comments about Murray's three titles in Asia. Sure; Federer qualified his praise of Murray's achievements a bit... but he didn't just say "meh, let's wait till the Australian Open." Can you just imagine what would be the reaction if he had said that? Basically bringing up the scene of Murray's de-pantsing in the finals for the last two years!! Although he tempered his praise, he did acknowledge Murray's run of good form, he didn't just say "pffffft" and walk away.

GSMnadal
12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
:confused:

Snapped Nole's streak and the only person to beat him in best of 5 format (nearly twice but mugged it up at USO), took Rafa to four sets on clay, beat him in London...how is he not able to keep up with them? Fed is doing just fine.

FO 2010: Nadal (lost to SODERLING!)
W 2010: Nadal (lost to BERDYCH!)
USO 2010: Nadal (lost to Djokovic, choked)
AO 2011: Djokovic (Djokovic)
FO 2011: Nadal (Nadal)
W 2011: Djokovic (lost to Tsonga, choked again)
USO 2011: Djokovic (lost to Djokovic, oh wait, another choke)

Really, in slams he's always there, but he can't beat Nadal (and Djokovic back to back). And that's exactly what he needs for a slam title. When two players have split the last 7 slams 4-3, it's obvious that you can say someone with 0 can't keep up anymore.

fmolinari2005
12-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Really, in slams he's always there, but he can't beat Nadal (and Djokovic back to back). And that's exactly what he needs for a slam title. When two players have split the last 7 slams 4-3, it's obvious that you can say someone with 0 can't keep up anymore.

And tell me this: could Nadal beat Nole in back to back matches on Grand Slam events this year?! Or at any tournament at all?! Nadal fans should thank Roger for their idol's GS this year.

GSMnadal
12-04-2011, 10:13 AM
And tell me this: could Nadal beat Nole in back to back matches on Grand Slam events this year?! Or at any tournament at all?! Nadal fans should thank Roger for their idol's GS this year.

I didn't mean Djokovic back to back, I meant Nadal and Djokovic in the SF and the Final. Rafa only has one player he has to overcome, Federer has two.

fmolinari2005
12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I didn't mean Djokovic back to back, I meant Nadal and Djokovic in the SF and the Final. Rafa only has one player he has to overcome, Federer has two.

Now I see it- I misunderstood your post. But the thing is that Nadal didn't, also, have to beat Fed and Djoko back to back in Slams since one of those FO titles I guess. Truth be told: the only guy who can brag about anything lately is Djoko, who defeated Fed and Nadal back to back in countless tournaments.

But you are not right thinking that Nadal has only to overcome Djoko. On those couple of years he also managed to lose to Ferrer and Murray I suppose on GS matches. Nadal is having an amazing run on GS tournaments lately, but it is not far fetched him losing to someone on a hot streak off clay.

Sofonda Cox
12-04-2011, 12:10 PM

Exactly. Lendl is being a whiny little bitch because GOAT overtook one of his records. Hope I'm not that bitter when I reach 92.

fmolinari2005
12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Will be Lendl impressed with Nadal's late tournament surge?! :lol:

juan27
12-04-2011, 04:40 PM

federer in his age , it`s difficult defeat both ins emis and final.

but if federer has a good level and win the match quickly without 5 sets matches.

he can do that , specially in hard or grass.

federer with nole show perfectly that he can win , nadal it`s more complicated for him

tektonac
12-04-2011, 04:41 PM
lendl is a djokotard.

DrJules
12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
lendl is a djokotard.

Their style of play is very similar.

Jenrios
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Lendl just answered the question sensibly. Yes, it was great to see Roger finish the year well, and I hope he starts next year well in Australia. There's no 'vibe' to Lendl's answer, and it certainly won't bother him that Roger has broken the Masters wins record. Lendl isn't like that.

Jenrios
12-04-2011, 08:41 PM
It's ridiculous to say Lendl is a whiny little bitch - like, how many slams does Roger have compared to him? and weeks at number 1? I can't believe anyone would take Ivan's comments in that way! I take it all his pro-Fed comments don't count then?

MatchFederer
12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
It's not like I expected Lendl to tip Federer for the calendar-year grand slam in 2012. :rolleyes: I just thought he'd say something like 'Federer is a great indoor player and it's amazing how he keeps himself fit throughout the year in order to finish strong. This will give him confidence going into 2012, you can never count him out..." etc, etc.

Federer was criticized for his comments about Murray's three titles in Asia. Sure; Federer qualified his praise of Murray's achievements a bit... but he didn't just say "meh, let's wait till the Australian Open." Can you just imagine what would be the reaction if he had said that? Basically bringing up the scene of Murray's de-pantsing in the finals for the last two years!! Although he tempered his praise, he did acknowledge Murray's run of good form, he didn't just say "pffffft" and walk away.

This doesn't work. The complexion of the situation is rather different as a retired player compared to one who is still competing and has an ongoing rivalry with the player in question. The truth is, neither man has said anything that is worth any sort of sensitive and defensive attitude whatsoever. Also, just because Lendl didn't make a direct mention of Federer's great end of year, it doesn't mean he does not acknowledge that. He might just consider it as presumed information i.e. (Yes he had a very good end of year.. hmmmm *ponders*)... '... but let's wait to see what Wodgie has at the AO.' ( yes yes... let's see how it transfers to the new year at the Slams, after all, we remember what happened last year).

Not everything needs to be said.

This thread is annoying.

MatchFederer
12-04-2011, 08:49 PM
It's ridiculous to say Lendl is a whiny little bitch - like, how many slams does Roger have compared to him? and weeks at number 1? I can't believe anyone would take Ivan's comments in that way! I take it all his pro-Fed comments don't count then?

You've hit the nail on the head! :D

Ridiculous thread reactions are ridiculous.

Action Jackson
12-05-2011, 04:02 AM

He said Fed is the only guy he'd pay to see play but hey he hates Federer.

MrChopin
12-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Not much to be impressed by.. Bottom line, the YEC doesn't carry nearly the same prestige anymore compared to the when the top dogs were scratching and crawling for it 20-30 years ago. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Fixed.

Topspindoctor
12-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Fedtards getting their panties in a bunch in this thread :superlol:

Gamesampras
12-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Federer was playing on his best surface against a tired Nadal and Djoker. Im not impressed either because Federer is always one of the favorites to win all the titles. Has anyone ever seen him injured or even tired at any point?? I think Nadal is starting to decline already and Djoker we will have to wait and see if he can bring his best stuff to Australia.

samanosuke
12-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Federer was playing on his best surface against a tired Nadal and Djoker. Im not impressed either because Federer is always one of the favorites to win all the titles. Has anyone ever seen him injured or even tired at any point?? I think Nadal is starting to decline already and Djoker we will have to wait and see if he can bring his best stuff to Australia.

:haha::haha:

dude, I expected at least little more imagination with nickname of second account

shanks
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
I totally agree with Lendl. Makes sense. Even Roger will agree!

tektonac
12-05-2011, 09:56 PM
i think it is one of the most memorable late surges that ever happened in the history of a mankind. it overshadows Nole's 2011 average run by a large margin. one more record to the long list of Roger's unmatchable records.

sagroove
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't think Lendl was being sincere, knowing him well, he was just displaying his cold behavior. If it was someone else saying this, maybe I would have agreed to an extent.

Whether Lendl meant it or not he should be more respectful of Roger Federer! No wonder few if any really like this guy!

SetSampras
12-05-2011, 11:57 PM
i think it is one of the most memorable late surges that ever happened in the history of a mankind. it overshadows Nole's 2011 average run by a large margin. one more record to the long list of Roger's unmatchable records.

What was so "memorable" about it.. Historically, Fed has generally gone for the YEC more then other guys have, and he ususally has a big late season surge after the USO cap off the year.

stewietennis
12-06-2011, 05:10 AM
I don't think it disrespecting Federer. Ivan knows how difficult it is to win the majors and he knows the level is somewhat lower in other tournaments so it's more of a "wait and see" if Federer is really back and judge him by his results in tournaments that really matter. Because if Lendl was impressed with Federer's three tournament win, then he should be applauding Murray every year for winning tournaments after the US Open. Greatness shouldn't be judged through mediocre tournaments.

SetSampras
12-06-2011, 07:20 AM
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

Bottom line.. there is no reason to be impressed. Fed should be expected to be the best during the indoor season.. Hes the last of the indoor guys. This is the weakest era in history by far in terms of indoor prowess and it isn't even close

ssj100
12-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Sampras's era was actually one of the weakest eras in history for any surface - it's all a relative thing, and it's the only reason why Sampras was able to win so many Wimbledons etc. The fact that he did relatively poorly on clay is just embarassing. I didn't realise it then (I supported him so much then and thought he was a legend), but I realise it now.

Jaz
12-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Lendl is right.

It's about the slams. If not, then surely Murray is the King of Tennis.. Err

n8
12-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Got to love ATPWorldTour's adding and pluralisation ability.

Federer ended 2011 by winning three consecutive tournaments, the Swiss Indoors Basel, the BNP Paribas Masters and the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, collecting 4,000 point that will stay on his 52-week ranking till very late in the 2012 season.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/12/Features/Federer-Will-Chase-No1-Ranking.aspx

500+1000+1500 = 3000 points

Commander Data
12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Lendl is right.

alter ego
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
:haha::haha:

dude, I expected at least little more imagination with nickname of second account

WTF?

alter ego
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't think it disrespecting Federer. Ivan knows how difficult it is to win the majors and he knows the level is somewhat lower in other tournaments so it's more of a "wait and see" if Federer is really back and judge him by his results in tournaments that really matter. Because if Lendl was impressed with Federer's three tournament win, then he should be applauding Murray every year for winning tournaments after the US Open. Greatness shouldn't be judged through mediocre tournaments.

Lendl is right.

It's about the slams. If not, then surely Murray is the King of Tennis.. Err

How many YEC has murray won?:rolleyes:

tripwires
12-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Murray has never won the WTF, which is more prestigious than a Masters tournament.

barbadosan
12-06-2011, 03:27 PM

8 pages so far, based, not so much on what Lendl actually said, but on the OP's interpretation:eek:

Raiden
12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
"Federer's victory took him past Pete Sampras and Ivan Lendl's tally of five Tour Finals crowns and also equalled Lendl's record 39 match wins in the event."LOL That's indeed what triggered Lendl to snark back in retaliation

He's is being a bit sensitive and protective of his achievements

MatchFederer
12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Scandal. Outrage.