Spain. Now they are invincible. Once they were mugs. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Spain. Now they are invincible. Once they were mugs.

Mr.Michael
12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Spain are really the greatest DC-team in 21st century so far. It's actually very funny how bad they were in the 90's.

I still remember their awful defeat in 1993. It's a classic in some ways. It was a first round match played in Barcelona on a very slow clay court against the Netherlands.

Sergi Bruguera lost a five setter on the opening day against Paul Haarhuis. That was already a huge surprise, but they regrouped and led 2-1 after the doubles. But the sunday singles were a disaster. First Carlos Costa lost to Paul Haarhuis after having a two set lead. And in the decider Bruguera lost again a five setter, this time against journeyman Mark Koevermans. And yes, Bruguera also had a two set lead. I was so stunned and still consider it as one of the most outrageous results in modern DC-history.

The 90's were throughout very disappointing for them. Back then Spain lost almost everytime they had to play away and they weren't that strong at home either.

Har-Tru
12-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Didn't Bruguera go on to win Roland Garros that same year and the year after that (against another Spaniard)? How did he manage to lose those matches??

Action Jackson
12-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Sweden made every DC final from 1983-89 won on all surfaces. It's cyclical, these things happen.

Spain had good players in the 90s, but Davis Cup is a different beast some love it, others turn to crap.

SetSampras
12-02-2011, 09:19 PM
They would have gotten pounded by the Americans in '95. Their claim to fame is beating clowns like Argentina consisting of guys who have the endurance and fitness of a Weight Watchers group. Delpo had a year long hiatus of nursing injuries and is way out of shape. Nalbandian is still dreaming of doughnuts etc.

Pirata.
12-02-2011, 09:21 PM
They would have gotten pounded by the Americans in '95. Their claim to fame is beating clowns like Argentina consisting of guys who have the endurance and fitness of a Weight Watchers group. Delpo had a year long hiatus of nursing injuries and is way out of shape. Nalbandian is still dreaming of doughnuts etc.

Too good :haha:

Mr.Michael
12-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Bruguera wasn't that good and Emilio Sanchez was nothing special. It was only after guys like Corretja, Costa and Moya started to take over that things started to change.

And of course the indoor courts in 90's were just so fast.

Obviously the American team from the mid-90's would have no chance against the current Spaniards in Spain and it might have been an interesting match-up back then on a clay court.

Voo de Mar
12-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I witnessed Spain-Netherlands tie in 1993 :cool: It's been one of the most memorable ties I've ever seen. Koevermans played a match of his life in the deciding rubber. If I remember well, Koevermans came back from a 1:4 deficit in the 4th set then, in the previous one Haarhuis saved a double match point against Carlos Costa :yeah:

http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/image/914/91160-300-412-scale.jpg

Voo de Mar
12-02-2011, 09:47 PM
^ It's really a nice story because 25-year-old Koevermans at the time, didn't win a match at the main level after that and soon retired, Bruguera a couple weeks later triumphed at Roland Garros :)

Clashcityrocker
12-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Koevermans owned Bruguera, i think he won 6 out of 8 matches if i remeber correctly
And that win in DC was sooooooooo :worship:

shiaben
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Sweden made every DC final from 1983-89 won on all surfaces. It's cyclical, these things happen.

Spain had good players in the 90s, but Davis Cup is a different beast some love it, others turn to crap.

It is probably more cyclical for teams like Sweden that have trouble finding multiple talents,but I think Spain is building a reputation for tennis and they'll probably get better players in the future even if Nadal does retire one day. They probably won't get like 4 titles within a decade type of thing like they did between 2000-2010, but I'm sure they'll continue winning titles till they reach 3rd in the World in Davis Cup trophies.

finishingmove
12-02-2011, 11:44 PM
That's why Serbia will absolutely dominate this decade.

Stick around to see it happen.

Sjengster
12-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Interesting that Brazil was the last country to beat Spain at home back in 1999, it will probably take a team containing the next great non-Spanish claycourter to do likewise.

Sunset of Age
12-03-2011, 01:56 AM
I witnessed Spain-Netherlands tie in 1993 :cool: It's been one of the most memorable ties I've ever seen. Koevermans played a match of his life in the deciding rubber. If I remember well, Koevermans came back from a 1:4 deficit in the 4th set then, in the previous one Haarhuis saved a double match point against Carlos Costa :yeah:

http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/image/914/91160-300-412-scale.jpg

Mark! Paul! :worship: :D

Topspindoctor
12-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Spain has done well in DC, but tbh - beating clowns like Del Potro, Fatbandian and Mugnaco will leave a sour taste in their mouths. Is there ANYONE who can challenge Spain in DC?

shiaben
12-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Spain has done well in DC, but tbh - beating clowns like Del Potro, Fatbandian and Mugnaco will leave a sour taste in their mouths. Is there ANYONE who can challenge Spain in DC?

Serbia.

Djokovic can get his singles.

Then get Tipsarevic to win his single against Ferrer.

If that doesn't work they've got chances through the doubles.

iriraz
12-03-2011, 06:24 AM

It`s tough to beat the Spaniards at home but when they play away against a top nation it`s usually a 50/50 tie.Also Nadal rarely plays away from home in Davis Cup and having to beat Ferrer and Lopez is possible although not easy as the US have seen.Against France though i see Spain as underdogs if they play indoors in France.

Purple Rainbow
12-03-2011, 08:35 AM
I remember the headline the Monday after that tie: "Koevermans stunt tegen Bruguera."

Spain has been a very muggy sporting country in the 1990's and they've turned that around remarkably in a lot of high profile sports: football, tennis, cycling (Indurain was a fluke, Spanish cyclists have been dominant in the last half decade), motorsports, basketball.

Spain has also been remarkably half-hearted in following up on the Fuentes investigation.

Kiedis
12-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Didn't happen.

Fuentes has been caught twice by the Guardia Civil. Both times he threatened to "out" Spanish dopers if he wasn't let go. Both times he was let go.

Recently (5 1/2 years after Puerto broke), he was charged in relation to his involvement in Puerto, even though the Spanish judiciary originally said that no laws were broken (and they covered up Fuente's list of clients). It took a change in Government in Spain to make it happen. The court case hasn't even started yet, and you already have him convicted.
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/operation-puerto-revived-fuentes-facing-jail-32524/

As a matter of fact, Spanish authorities are now investigating the Guardia Civil, because they "smeared" a Spanish sporting hero (Dominguez).

Apparently he has released on bail (http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/124492/0/CICLISMO/DOPAJE/ESPANA/) and has therefore left the prison.

But he still has two pending lawsuits and the public prosecutor's office asked for more years in prison for him and another six persons (http://www.antena3.com/noticias/deportes/fiscalia-pide-dos-anos-prision-eufemiano-fuentes_2011112301036.html) How many people are in jail for these reasons in your country?

PS: Greetings to the great Guillermo Cañas. Is not he training young tennis prospects in your country?

fran70
12-03-2011, 11:12 AM

This :yeah:. There are plenty of stories of players that were amazing on the tour but failed to play in the same level when they had to represent their countries. And the contrary aswell.