Most Boring Davis Cup Final of all time? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most Boring Davis Cup Final of all time?

PsychoGulbis
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
....or isnt it ?
I mean,Nadal already destroyed Monaco,Ferrer will beat Del Potro...Verdasco/Lopez should win against Nalby/Schwank too and Sundays singles...Monaco or Nalby vs Ferrer and Nadal vs Del Potro ?
Come on:rolleyes:
This is just shit,to make it more attractive,Argentina should got the home advantage

jayjay
12-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Er...this Ferrer/Del Potro match has been pretty compelling so far, unless you're blind and have no audio commentary.

So you're just basing your whole opinion on the fact that Nadal hammered Monaco - which the entire world knew was going to happen?

And explain why Verdasco/Lopez, who have lost so many of their recent matches, "should" win against Nalbandian/Schwank. The match is 50/50 and if anyone is the favourite in the doubles, it's probably Argentina.

PsychoGulbis
12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Even if Delpo would beat Ferrer (what he cant because i bet on him and you can see it on the 2nd set,god hates me) and the double will win...theres no chance nadal lose to delpo and ferrer to nalby/monaco

guga2120
12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
It's boring if you don't like real clay tennis and you are from Argentina. The Ferru/JMDP match has been pretty good though.

GSMnadal
12-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Watching Nadal rip an opponent to shreds with textbook clay tennis is never, ever boring. Don't you dare say otherwise.

It's a work of art, and we are privileged to be able to witness it.

jayjay
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Even if Delpo would beat Ferrer (what he cant because i bet on him and you can see it on the 2nd set,god hates me) and the double will win...theres no chance nadal lose to delpo and ferrer to nalby/monaco

If you really think Nalbandian (and it will be Nalbandian, you can forget the thought of Monaco being in Spain for anything other than to save Nalbandian's energy on day one) has "no chance" against Ferrer in a potential 5th rubber, then you're in for a shock if that prospective match-up becomes a reality.

I'll happily lay Ferrer 3-0 with you, in that case. And you can give me the money you're going to win on Del Potro today.

Voo de Mar
12-02-2011, 05:36 PM
PsychoGulbis, better look at scorelines of the 1979 & 1987 finals :wavey:

Pirata.
12-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Look at Verdasco/Lopez results all year, the doubles result is not set in stone.

MariaV
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
And Ferrer hasn't won this match yet. ;)

guga2120
12-02-2011, 05:58 PM
And Ferrer hasn't won this match yet. ;)

No he hasn't JMDP could win and this a very good match.

PsychoGulbis
12-02-2011, 07:42 PM
So,Ferrer beats Delpo...2-0 Spain after first singles.And this is interesting ? This is decided...I would bet 44 Billion dollars even @1,0001 that Spain wins this Davis Cup if i would have the money. Unbelievable boring,no chance against last year final

jayjay
12-02-2011, 07:47 PM
So,Ferrer beats Delpo...2-0 Spain after first singles.And this is interesting ? This is decided...I would bet 44 Billion dollars even @1,0001 that Spain wins this Davis Cup if i would have the money. Unbelievable boring,no chance against last year final

Yeah, actually I've changed my mind and completely agree with you. This Davis Cup final has been so boring, I mean, did you see Ferrer/Del Potro? Incredibly boring and predictable match, no atmosphere, as well.

Awful tie. This must be the first Davis Cup final I've ever seen that was 2-0 after day one. Ferrer won so easily! Could it have been any easier for him?

PsychoGulbis
12-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Tell me what you want,this Davis Cup Final is boring as hell. For sure,was a good match between ferrer and delpo today,but for me the winner was never in doubt.and even if he had lost,it wouldn matter because ferrer will beat nalby and nadal beta delpo for sure

jayjay
12-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Tell me what you want,this Davis Cup Final is boring as hell. For sure,was a good match between ferrer and delpo today,but for me the winner was never in doubt.and even if he had lost,it wouldn matter because ferrer will beat nalby and nadal beta delpo for sure

Your use of the term "boring" is the problem. Spain were 1/6 to win this tie - so if you want a 'no shit Sherlock' award for figuring out they were likely to win - at home, on clay, with arguably the greatest clay courter of all-time and a very good understudy backing him up, then feel free to pick one up.

Nadal against anyone but Djokovic on clay is a predictable match - so I don't see you have a point in that regard, in fact you don't.

The winner of Ferrer/Del Potro was never in doubt? Really? How come you said you had bet on Del Potro, then?

PsychoGulbis
12-02-2011, 08:00 PM
no i dont bet on delpo win,i bet on delpo to win the 2nd set...after that i bet on 3-1 ferrer but okay,that was a fail

PsychoGulbis
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
what i ask to myself is why can spain chose where to play ? ok maybe it would be difficult to handle,but why cant the outsider chose where to play ? a match in buenos aires on hard and this would be a great final for the whole tennis world

rubbERR
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
All the Davis Cup matches are boring. I can say straight face that only spanish boys care about result of it.

shiaben
12-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Next year's tournament will top it. Federer and the Swiss team will have a mountain to climb. Would be a ridiculous feat to pull off. Don't think it will happen but it'll be interesting to see how far they get.

We'll also potentially get to see Sodering-Djokovic for the very first time at a best of 5 match. And even if it were to be clay or hard court at Belgrade, the match will turn out to be great since since Soderling is capable on any surface. I think Djokovic will defeat him in 3 tight ones if they he does show up.

green25814
12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Shame Pony couldn't take out Ferrer, that would've made this final 10x more interesting.

Still always next year.

Pirata.
12-02-2011, 08:11 PM
what i ask to myself is why can spain chose where to play ? ok maybe it would be difficult to handle,but why cant the outsider chose where to play ? a match in buenos aires on hard and this would be a great final for the whole tennis world

The last time Spain and Argentina played it was on indoor hard in Mar del Plata, so it was Spain's turn to pick.

!VamosRafa!
12-02-2011, 08:13 PM
It's not the most boring.
Gosh why do ppl here hate Spain so much? :o

Look at least year's final?
All 4 singles matches ending in straight sets, last match was 6-2 6-2 6-3 :spit: :rolleyes:

Kat_YYZ
12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
It's not the most boring.
Gosh why do ppl here hate Spain so much? :o

Look at least year's final?
All 4 singles matches ending in straight sets, last match was 6-2 6-2 6-3 :spit: :rolleyes:

at least we didn't know who was going to win until the final match. Even with the scoreline, let's be honest: Troicki can choke away a lead like that like nobody's business.

Now there's no point in watching, and no tennis for several weeks :sad:. It's not even a contest. As Vince Carter said during the 2000 slam dunk competition, it's OVAH!
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsfl9a7BUJ1qasnelo1_100.gif

finishingmove
12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Of. All. Time.

peRfect-Tennis
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
The Davis Cup is always boring. Tennis is a sport about the individual.

RedFury
12-02-2011, 10:50 PM

I realize you just a little kid clamoring for attention. BUT if you're going to criticize an event, at the very least know what you speak of. For instance, teams take turns in hosting ties. Meaning that the next time Arg & Spa play each other -- no matter the stage of the Tournament -- it will be Argentina both hosting and choosing the surface for the tie.

As for you wish, I can see that you were just a wee toddler/mental midget all the way back in 2008, but that is exactly what happened. Obviously, the Argentinians chose the fastest surface they could muster in Mar del Plata and Spain came in as heavy underdogs what with the super fast surface and not having Nadal available to play. Guess what? To no avail (http://www.daviscup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100010174) as Feli and Verdasco took care of business.

Further education: Davis Cup (http://www.daviscup.com/en/home.aspx). So put your Transformers down for a while, learn what you speak of and then come back with additional cries for attention.

:crying2: :crying2: :crying2:

nalbyfan
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
The Davis Cup is always boring. Tennis is a sport about the individual.

False, DC is probably the greatest tennis competition, GS are boring, DC is drama, passion, emotion, unlike in other tourneys. Tennis should always be like in DC

Chirag
12-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Even with the scoreline, let's be honest: Troicki can choke away a lead like that like nobody's business.

Lets be honest .He wasnt going to choke that match .The eyes told you and he hadnt choked in singles in the run up to it ;)

peRfect-Tennis
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
False, DC is probably the greatest tennis competition, GS are boring, DC is drama, passion, emotion, unlike in other tourneys. Tennis should always be like in DC

If it was the greatest competition it would be televised like grand slams, all the players would ensure they play every round. But that doesn't happen!

Luinir
12-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Worst? Good joke. Epic 5 setter between Delpo and Ferrer. Argies wins doubles and now great fight between Nadal and Delpo. (possible 5th rubber)

You should wait UNTIL the end of the tie to open a topic like this, you noob.

Action Jackson
12-04-2011, 03:23 PM
No.

Go learn about the sport.

NyGeL
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
this assholes that starts new topics with stupid predictions should be banned.

rubbERR
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Hell no. It was very entertaining, thanks to Delpos great shotmaking ability.

bjurra
12-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I watched Sweden beat India 5-0 (13-1 in sets) at home on clay in the 1987 final. Nothing will ever beat that in terms of dullness.

timafi
12-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I watched Sweden beat India 5-0 (13-1 in sets) at home on clay in the 1987 final. Nothing will ever beat that in terms of dullness.

of course it was dull;the Swedes were playing the Indians ffs;they'd beat them even if the singles/doubles players had 1 working patella:tape:

V.H.
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Fail thread

helvet empire
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
what davis cup final?:confused:

rocketassist
12-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Spain-Czechs in 09 was a pretty shit final.

Yolita
12-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Those are the rules, the host country can choose where to play. Let me remind you that when Spain played the US, they played in Austin, on a criminally fast surface especially designed to help Roddick's game. The Spaniards complained about the surface on the grounds that it wasn't used in many other tournaments and they were not going to be able to practice. Their complaint was overruled. They had to accept the surface...They still won. Ferrer beat Roddick and Feli Lopez beat Fish on that surface.

Also, in 2008 th Spanish team played the final against Argentina in Argentina. Argentina chose the surface, because those are the rules... Spain still won the cup, with crucial wins by verdasco and Feli Lopez.

Spain is a tennis power house.

As Nalbandian said: "Sometimes the rival is just better than you. That's all there is to it."

And they were all drug-tested. :devil:

And Delpo-Ferrer and Delpo-Nadal were 2 of the most exciting matches this season. Great final.

Tennisfan26
12-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah this was one of the most boring finals

rocketassist
12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Those are the rules, the host country can choose where to play. Let me remind you that when Spain played the US, they played in Austin, on a criminally fast surface especially designed to help Roddick's game. The Spaniards complained about the surface on the grounds that it wasn't used in many other tournaments and they were not going to be able to practice. Their complaint was overruled. They had to accept the surface...They still won. Ferrer beat Roddick and Feli Lopez beat Fish on that surface.

Also, in 2008 th Spanish team played the final against Argentina in Argentina. Argentina chose the surface, because those are the rules... Spain still won the cup, with crucial wins by verdasco and Feli Lopez.

Spain is a tennis power house.

As Nalbandian said: "Sometimes the rival is just better than you. That's all there is to it."

And they were all drug-tested. :devil:

And Delpo-Ferrer and Delpo-Nadal were 2 of the most exciting matches this season. Great final.

Criminally fast? :lol:

That turned out to be quite a slow court. Wasn't fast.

Yolita
12-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Criminally fast? :lol:

That turned out to be quite a slow court. Wasn't fast.

Why did the Americans choose it, then? I read that they had chosen the surface specifically for Roddick's game. I remember the Spanish team complaining. And being sent packing by the ITF.

Chosing a slow surface when you're at home and are going to play Spain is just too dumb for words. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rubbERR
12-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Yeah this was one of the most boring finals

Then you need fuck off and watch other sport. Just because it was predictable because of slow clay and home advantage doesnt make it boring.

Topspindoctor
12-05-2011, 01:52 AM
....or isnt it ?
I mean,Nadal already destroyed Monaco,Ferrer will beat Del Potro...Verdasco/Lopez should win against Nalby/Schwank too and Sundays singles...Monaco or Nalby vs Ferrer and Nadal vs Del Potro ?
Come on:rolleyes:
This is just shit,to make it more attractive,Argentina should got the home advantage

Yeah, it was boring, but you really can't blame Spain. They are elite players and multi DC champs, while Argentines are mugs. Overrated clown Fluke Potro, past his prime Fatbandian and challenger clown Mugnaco. It was NID that Spain would win, however, it was still enjoyable to see those mugs get put into their place :drool:

Sham Kay
12-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Not so much boring as such.. just Nadull.

freeandlonely
12-05-2011, 02:27 AM
boring as hell

Getta
12-05-2011, 02:38 AM
boring as hell

why?

shiaben
12-05-2011, 02:52 AM
This Davis Cup was lacking. A one sided affair.

It was too predictable that Del Potro would lose both legs.

I thought Ferrer would defeat him in 4 on the basis that the match was at Spain and on clay. But Potro actually ended up having plenty of chances to win that match and blew it up thanks to his fitness. Pathetic.

And against Nadal, the result was better than expected, but nothing surprising given his lack of fitness and poor shot selections.

2012 France-Switzerland meeting will probably be better if both teams advance from the first rounds.

Getta
12-05-2011, 03:05 AM
It was too predictable that Del Potro would lose both legs.

no.

ariel2
12-05-2011, 04:38 AM
I thought the match between Rafa and Delpo was interesting one and a nail-biter. I find Davis Cup a pleasant change from the regular ATP calendar. The atmosphere is electric, the guys play as a team, and you get to see the dynamics between players and their compatriots. And the DC has a long history and is a tennis tradition. But I understand it's not for everyone. Now if you're talking about team tennis in the U.S., I can do without that.

RafaNadal2012!!!
12-05-2011, 04:42 AM
There have been worse

tripwires
12-05-2011, 08:45 AM
I prefer last year's final by far, but the Nadal/Del Potro match was pretty good. I didn't catch Delpo/Ferrer as I was sleeping - how unfortunate.