Bogomolov jr. to play for Russia [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bogomolov jr. to play for Russia

Purple Rainbow
12-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Becomes top-ranked Russian player!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/tennis/12/01/alex-bogomolov.ap/index.html

SEVILLE, Spain (AP) -- Alex Bogomolov Jr. will play for Russia instead of the United States after the International Tennis Federation approved the switch Thursday.

Bogomolov, born in Moscow, has represented the U.S. since turning professional in 2002 but has never played at senior level in the Davis Cup.

A Davis Cup Committee decided Bogomolov's case met 2012 regulations allowing national federations three months instead of six before a match to submit a request for a player of dual nationality to represent the country.

Russia submitted a request in October, meaning Bogomolov is eligible to play in the first round of the Davis Cup against Austria from Feb. 10-12.

Bogomolov is listed by the ATP as Russia's top-ranked player at No. 34, one spot ahead of Nikolay Davydenko. He was the fourth-ranked American.

ATP players recently voted Bogomolov as most improved tour player after he rose from No. 166 at the end of 2010 to a career-high No. 33 in November.

His father, Alex Bogomolov, is a renowned tennis coach in the former Soviet Union, who coached Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Andrei Medvedev among others.

Bogomolov Jr. was born in Moscow but moved to Mexico with his family when he was 9 and then to Florida in 1992. He is still based in Boca Raton.

Bogomolov could now play for Russia at the 2012 Olympics, but that would also require approval from the ITF.

The Davis Cup Committee met Thursday in Seville, which is hosting the Davis Cup final between Spain and Argentina beginning Friday.

DYJBAA
12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
That's terrific news for Donald Young. Now he can really aim for the 2012 olympics now and not worry about him. All he has to do is play better than his fellow Americans from now until then

Mae
12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
But I don't think he is moving back to Moscow!

DirtyDirty
12-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Sad day for Russian tennis. From Medvedev, Kafelnikov, and Safin to..... Bogomolov Jr.? Too bad Canada didn't draw them next year.

Topspindoctor
12-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Who cares? He's a mug.

madmax
12-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Sad day for Russian tennis. From Medvedev, Kafelnikov, and Safin to..... Bogomolov Jr.? Too bad Canada didn't draw them next year.

tell me about it...russian men's tennis is going down the drain. Fast

myrt
12-02-2011, 12:01 AM
To represent a country in DC or Olympics' shouldn't you at least be a resident of that country? I think it's ludicrous to maintain primary residence in one country and represent another. What kind of patriotism is that?

KaiserT
12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Better option than Clowndreev or Gabash.

dpetzold300
12-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Hope he gets put on graveyard courts during the US Open.

DanaKz
12-02-2011, 04:20 AM
That's terrific news for Donald Young. Now he can really aim for the 2012 olympics now and not worry about him. All he has to do is play better than his fellow Americans from now until then

Whoa. The Don has a chance for Olympics? Now this is unexpected.

Purple Rainbow
12-02-2011, 06:20 AM
To represent a country in DC or Olympics' shouldn't you at least be a resident of that country? I think it's ludicrous to maintain primary residence in one country and represent another. What kind of patriotism is that?

If that were true, Monaco would be a powerhouse in sports.

PiggyGotRoasted
12-02-2011, 06:38 AM
If that were true, Monaco would be a powerhouse in sports.

Doesnt matter if its true or not, Monaco is going to win the davis cup this weekend.

Ouragan
12-05-2011, 09:29 AM
The future of Russian tennis indeed...LMAO

Nathaliia
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
I knew about it earlier :)
From what I've heard other Russian players don't have anything against it.

scoobs
12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know if there were changes to Russian tennis funding after Yeltsin stood down? Russia seems to be on something of a decline in both the mens and womens game compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

MariaV
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know if there were changes to Russian tennis funding after Yeltsin stood down? Russia seems to be on something of a decline in both the mens and womens game compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

There are still the Yeltsin Foundation scholarships they give yearly to the juniors. Tarpi always whines the Federation has no money. Yeah it's not like things are going too well right now.

Ouragan
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't know, the women are still doing well, don't think it's the funding, just a momentary dip maybe.

jcempire
12-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Who cares? He's a mug.

He has a best year in 2011.

I don't think he is a mug

MOhero
12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Bogomolov (RUS) :wavey: