What if the eras' surfaces were switched? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What if the eras' surfaces were switched?

Sapeod
11-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Let's say that the current era and the 90s were changed around, not with players, but with surfaces. What if the 90s had no carpet and had mostly slow courts? And what if today had fast hard/grass courts, slow clay courts and carpet. How would the respective eras' players do then?

How would Becker, Sampras, Agassi, Edberg, Henman, Kiefer, Pioline, Medvedev, Kafelnikov, Rios etc. do on slow clay/hard/grass courts and no carpet?
How would Federer, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic, Soderling, Hewitt, Roddick etc. do on fast courts and slow clay, with carpet also around?

In my opinion, the 90s would be greatly affected, with players like Muster doing far better on grass and hard courts, due to slowness. This era's slowness would really benefit the 90s clay courters. Players like Sampras, Becker and Edberg would be greatly hurt with the slow courts and wouldn't win as much. In fact, with today's slow courts, Sampras wouldn't manage to win more than one Wimbledon, I don't think

Today's players would also have a difference, with Nadal and Djokovic not being able to win as much and Federer/Roddick/Murray winning far more. If the courts were fast nowadays, Murray would have slams, Federer would have more and Roddick would probably have one or two more too (scary thought). Also, Soderling would have maybe one or two slams too, since he loves fast surfaces, but also slow clay surfaces too. Nadal would love the 90s slow clay and would still win RG every year.

What do you think?

SetSampras
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM
If eras were switched, then probably no one would be playing the same style of game except for probably Agassi.

Sapeod
11-30-2011, 11:06 PM
If eras were switched, then probably no one would be playing the same style of game except for probably Agassi.
No, their games stay the same and they use the same racquets that they used in their respective times, but the courts are changed around. How would they do? As I said, claycourters would be thriving in the 90s with players like Sampras and Becker doing badly. In today's era, players like Federer, Murray and Soderling would be winning mostly everything, with Nadal and other clay courters losing early in most hard/grass court tournaments. Nadal would thrive in RG though, since it would be slower.

SetSampras
11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
No, their games stay the same and they use the same racquets that they used in their respective times, but the courts are changed around. How would they do? As I said, claycourters would be thriving in the 90s with players like Sampras and Becker doing badly. In today's era, players like Federer, Murray and Soderling would be winning mostly everything, with Nadal and other clay courters losing early in most hard/grass court tournaments. Nadal would thrive in RG though, since it would be slower.

WTF man.. So the guys like Becker, Andre, and Pete ( with his Pro Staff) have to play everyone with super-age racket technology you are saying? Nadal gets to play Muster, Bruguera, and Courier etc..with his technology and they have to use the old pieces of garbage that can't generate the same top spin? I hope thats not what you mean

Arkulari
11-30-2011, 11:33 PM
WTF man.. So the guys like Becker, Andre, and Pete ( with his Pro Staff) have to play everyone with super-age racket technology you are saying? Nadal gets to play Muster, Bruguera, and Courier etc..with his technology and they have to use the old pieces of garbage that can't generate the same top spin? I hope thats not what you mean

Let's say they all play the same way and are equals in terms of technology, whether you want to make it like the old one or the current one is up to you.

SetSampras
11-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Let's say they all play the same way and are equals in terms of technology, whether you want to make it like the old one or the current one is up to you.

I don't think any of them WOULD play the same way. Nadal wouldn't play the same way today now if he grew up back then.. Fed would have to play more attacking ( More error prone tennis) on the older surfaces to compete against Big attackers on lightning fast surfaces etc. instead of camping out at the baseline slicing serve-returns back .

Slice Winner
11-30-2011, 11:49 PM
You know it's the off-season when...

Sophocles
12-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Sampras never sliced a return. Ever.

guga2120
12-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Roland Garros would be watchable again, and big ballbashers would not be able to make it deep there.

SetSampras
12-01-2011, 12:17 AM
Sampras never sliced a return. Ever.

Not at all. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnn1pWPgcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF42i_gLCJw&feature=related

A bunch of Federphile momos on here.

BigJohn
12-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Sampras would still have won Rome 94.

Sophocles
12-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Not at all. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRnn1pWPgcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF42i_gLCJw&feature=related

A bunch of Federphile momos on here.

I know you're American, but surely you picked up on my sarcasm there?