Predict the no. of titles for Del Potro in 2012 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Predict the no. of titles for Del Potro in 2012

Start da Game
11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
returning from injuries in 2010, he won two titles this year - one on hardcourts in delray beach and one on clay in estoril......he also lost one hardcourt final to tsonga......

what do you think his 2012 is going to be like? predict the no. of titles he is going to win......

Certinfy
11-30-2011, 06:20 PM

Sadly I don't think one of them will be a slam though. :sad: But I really hoped I'm somehow proved wrong.

SetSampras
11-30-2011, 06:23 PM
If he recapture his 09 form and gets 100 percent healthy again... I could see him stealing the French, repeat at the USO.. And who knows maybe Wimbledon depending on Nadal.. I CERTAINLY think he can beat Nole there.. Nadal is questionable though. Even less the top form at wimbledon last year he still trouble Nadal quite a bit

rocketassist
11-30-2011, 06:23 PM
3, all 500s.

samanosuke
11-30-2011, 06:24 PM
all depends on coin toss

Start da Game
11-30-2011, 06:29 PM
If he recapture his 09 form and gets 100 percent healthy again... I could see him stealing the French, repeat at the USO.. And who knows maybe Wimbledon depending on Nadal.. I CERTAINLY think he can beat Nole there.. Nadal is questionable though. Even less the top form at wimbledon last year he still trouble Nadal quite a bit

that means an outside chance of 3 slams if he is fit?

Start da Game
11-30-2011, 06:32 PM
all depends on coin toss

of course it's vital on grass and fast hardcourts......d pot being an average second server shouldn't donate the toss advantage to his opponent.....it's always best to serve first and stay ahead on the scoreboard......let your opponent have all the scoreboard pressure, not you.....sometimes you win the toss, casually ask your opponent to serve first as if it's no big deal and 15 minutes later find yourself trailing 0-3 or 1-4......

EddieNero
11-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Some valuable "250" like Delray Beach and Estoril.

Start da Game
11-30-2011, 06:42 PM

Sadly I don't think one of them will be a slam though. :sad: But I really hoped I'm somehow proved wrong.

i think he can target one of the two hardcourt slams next year......i also think he does well in the french......he's got the game for overpowering opponents on clay......his clay record might be average at the moment but he is capable of beating big guns on clay......

samanosuke
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
of course it's vital on grass and fast hardcourts......d pot being an average second server shouldn't donate the toss advantage to his opponent.....it's always best to serve first and stay ahead on the scoreboard......let your opponent have all the scoreboard pressure, not you.....sometimes you win the toss, casually ask your opponent to serve first as if it's no big deal and 15 minutes later find yourself trailing 0-3 or 1-4......

btw i wasn't serious

MalwareDie
11-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Two titles. A 250 and a 500.

SetSampras
11-30-2011, 06:50 PM
that means an outside chance of 3 slams if he is fit?

I think if top form he might be more of a threat then Murray and he gave Nadal a tough time at wimbledon last year and he can beat Nole. . I don't see really anyone outside the top 4 that poses the type of threat Del Potro does if hes healthy and in top form really.

Of course.. he probably won't be in top form. And Nadal will have to be below top form as well.. I think Nadal will be fine by next year though.

Potentially.. Del Potro could be a big threat next year at 3 of the 4 anyways.. Of course at the end of the day.... he probably wont be

Start da Game
11-30-2011, 07:05 PM
it all boils down to his fitness and conditioning......if he's over his fitness issues, he will do really well next year......i don't think there's a massive drop in his level of play......the game is pretty simple too......he just goes for it without any hesitation and a little more consistency like in 2009, he's right back in the mix......his biggest strength is that he doesn't fear anybody and stays very composed no matter who the opponent is......something tells me that djokovic for one wouldn't want to face him on clay or grass next year......

henke007
11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
No slam but his first Masters 1000 and 2 more..

Ibracadabra
11-30-2011, 07:11 PM
First masters looks likely.

SetSampras
11-30-2011, 07:14 PM
it all boils down to his fitness and conditioning......if he's over his fitness issues, he will do really well next year......i don't think there's a massive drop in his level of play......the game is pretty simple too......he just goes for it without any hesitation and a little more consistency like in 2009, he's right back in the mix......his biggest strength is that he doesn't fear anybody and stays very composed no matter who the opponent is......something tells me that djokovic for one wouldn't want to face him on clay or grass next year......

I think thats what scary about him.. Unlike the other erratic clowns ( CLownga, Berdych) this guy stays composed and plays his game.. Add that with a big overwhelming game, hes a scary player. Now its just matter of health and getting back to his 09 form.

Start da Game
11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
concurred...

Topspindoctor
12-01-2011, 12:53 AM

eduggs
12-01-2011, 01:15 AM

I think Delpo is much more dangerous to Fed and Rafa than Novak. Delpo can punish the weaker wings of Fedal and Nadal's occasionally weak serve. Nole defends extremely well and is solid off the ground from both wings. He is also a better returner than Fedal and can hurt Delpo from the ground, or switching from defense to offense.

eduggs
12-01-2011, 01:20 AM
I think thats what scary about him.. Unlike the other erratic clowns ( CLownga, Berdych) this guy stays composed and plays his game.. Add that with a big overwhelming game, hes a scary player. Now its just matter of health and getting back to his 09 form.

Tsonga and Berdych made one slam final and lost... so they are erratic? But Delpo wins one slam and he's not erratic? If you look at the last 4 years of Delpo's results, you'll see he has been extremely erratic. His lone slam was more than 2 years ago. What's up with this obsession with calling world class players mugs and clowns? They can't all win every tournament. There will always be one winner and 63 or 127 losers. Does that mean they are all clowns?

LinkMage
12-01-2011, 01:23 AM
2 MM tournaments for the mug ballbasher.

SetSampras
12-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Tsonga and Berdych made one slam final and lost... so they are erratic? But Delpo wins one slam and he's not erratic? If you look at the last 4 years of Delpo's results, you'll see he has been extremely erratic. His lone slam was more than 2 years ago. What's up with this obsession with calling world class players mugs and clowns? They can't all win every tournament. There will always be one winner and 63 or 127 losers. Does that mean they are all clowns?

Are Tsonga and Berdych erratic? Did you watch the YEC last week? Tsonga is completely erratic on the big stage.. Keep Clownga away from any type of finals. Did you see Berdych-Nole? Do you need more proof to see how erratic Berdych is? Del Potro showed great mental toughess on the big stage in a slam finals vs. Fed.. I wouldn't count on Tsonga or Berdych to do the same in a slam final. Heck look at wimbldon last year.. Berdych the wimbeldon slam final no shot.

They are mugs.. Relatively speaking.

Topspindoctor
12-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Are Tsonga and Berdych erratic? Did you watch the YEC last week? Tsonga is completely erratic on the big stage.. Keep Clownga away from any type of finals. Did you see Berdych-Nole? Do you need more proof to see how erratic Berdych is? Del Potro showed great mental toughess on the big stage in a slam finals vs. Fed.. I wouldn't count on Tsonga or Berdych to do the same in a slam final. Heck look at wimbldon last year.. Berdych the wimbeldon slam final no shot.

Clownga beat Olderer at Wimby after going two sets down.. that gotta count for something. True, he got spanked by the old man afterwards, but still... You give Del Potro waaaay too much credit. Guy is a brainless ballbasher with zero strategy, plan B and injury prone. Take away his USO and he's another clown. He can't even win masters 1000 and is Mugray's pigeon.

Shinoj
12-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Anything is possible. if he remains injury free, he has the game, one or two 250or 500 Titles and he is all set. Considering the not so strong Top 4 at the moment, he can sneak a Grand Slam too.

Mountaindewslave
12-01-2011, 03:43 AM
all depends on coin toss

pretty much this, because in big matches Del Potro is going to have to have a bit of luck and since his return is poor his service will have to be great in 2012.

I put maybe 1-3 but who knows. I doubt he will win a Grand Slam, the Del Potro of 2009 is gone at least temporarily and I don't think he has the kahunas to win another Grand Slam just YET. he could surprise us though.

love the guy but he will need to break plenty of serve and I've been a bit worried about his movement

eduggs
12-01-2011, 04:38 AM

It's incorrect to compare Delpo's greatest moment with shakier moments of other players. In 6 years as a professional Delpo has made it past the QF of a slam two times. He is 23 years old. Maybe he will be a late bloomer like Federer. I certainly think he is primed for a big year. But you only have one match to support your theory. I might even be inclined to agree with you about his mental toughness, but it takes more than your personal analysis of a single event to make it true. Maybe it is Delpo's easygoing demeanor and game style that gives the impression that he is cool under pressure. I've seen him get rattled plenty of times. And he really doesn't have much to go to when plan A doesn't work.

Tennis is a game of momentum swings. It is the nature of the game. Usually the better player wins, but not always. And analyzing the worthiness of champions is difficult, in part due to the problem of small sample size.

shiaben
12-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Two

Getta
12-01-2011, 05:23 AM
returning from injuries in 2010, he won two titles this year - one on hardcourts in delray beach and one on clay in estoril......he also lost one hardcourt final to tsonga......

what do you think his 2012 is going to be like? predict the no. of titles he is going to win......

i can't predict the future.

trying to make sense of the seemingly senseless, i can only assign probabilities to different outcomes and then sit back and let things take care of themselves. is that what you want? for me to sit back and think the things over?

swisht4u
12-01-2011, 06:04 AM
I wanted to vote a slam. Just couldn't, he isn't showing too much as of now.

He's a different player than anyone out there, part of that is his game doesn't change under any kind of pressure. If he's playing well he won't fail because of nerves no matter who he's playing or on the biggest stage.

When he beat Nadal at the USO a few years back it didn't matter to me what shape Nadal was in, what mattered is that he didn't show any kind of fear all the way through the match.

That's part of the attraction of DelPo for me, he's the best at containing his mental demons better than any other player I've ever seen.

The other part is that he has a lot of areas, even when he was at his peak, that he could improve.

I continue to look forward to seeing DelPo hit his real prime, there is a higher level for him if his body holds out and he keeps working.

ssj100
12-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Del Potro playing at his peak can beat anyone. But that's one important factor to be a great player - playing at one's peak when it matters, because no one can always play at their peak. The other important factor is winning big matches while not playing that well, which very few possess.

Also, it's interesting to see how much relative praise Del Potro is getting from some posters in this thread - I thought this was a "mug" era? It seems to me that these people think it's only a "mug" era when people are "injured", "tired", "unmotivated" or simply "not playing at their peak". If this is a "mug" era, why are people interested enough to post so much about tennis on an internet forum? If this is a "mug" era, what is the point of following tennis in this era and making thousands of posts about it?

Anyway, I personally think there is no such thing as a "mug" era, especially since tennis became professional. These guys playing on the professional circuit are amazing players, because they put in so much hard work to improve. To be able to dominate like Djokovic did for most of this year, or for Nadal to have such a successful year in 2010, or for Federer to dominate from 2004-2007 and still be winning regularly at the age of 30, shows that these three players are incredible atheletes. I doubt we'll see such excellence again for the next 10-20 years.

That's unless Del Potro can come through. Back in 2008, I predicted that Del Potro would go through a period of dominance very soon. I even raved on that Del Potro would surpass Federer's greatness (sure, I might have got a bit too excited). Then Del Potro got injured. But I believe he can still come back and win another few slams. It's a real pity that he got injured in 2010. I don't think he'll ever be the same player as he was in 2008-2009. The scary thing (for me) is that I don't think he was even close to his potential peak, even in the US Open 2009 semi-final (against Nadal) and final (against Federer).

Let's hope Del Potro can have an injury free 2012 and win at least one slam!

Start da Game
12-01-2011, 03:32 PM
i voted for one slam...

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 04:23 PM
He will win ZERO slams and ZERO masters titles. He's not good enough to do so anymore. He will likely get a few smaller titles in 250 and 500 if he has kind draws.

SetSampras
12-01-2011, 05:05 PM
He just came off a long term almost career-threatening like injury. It takes time to get back into the game of tennis after not playing for 1 year.

Still give me Del Potro's 1 slam win prior to injury over Fedal back to back>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 99.999 percent of the other mugs top 5-1234134124 in the world. I don't see anyone else beating Fedal back to back at a slam outside of the Worlds #1. Hell, I'm not seeing any of the other mugs even win a slam.

nalbyfan
12-03-2011, 12:11 PM
He will win ZERO slams and ZERO masters titles. He's not good enough to do so anymore. He will likely get a few smaller titles in 250 and 500 if he has kind draws.

One thing is sure : Delpony probably won USO 2009 by fluke but Muzza was not able to win a GS by fluke like him or Gaudio or Korda !!

misty1
12-03-2011, 12:28 PM
he might not win anything at all but if he does it'll be a 250 or a watered down 500

he's nothing special

nalbyfan
12-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Wait to see if he can healthy or not, i's his big weak point

Sofonda Cox
12-03-2011, 12:36 PM
0. The game has moved past him.

peRfect-Tennis
12-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I think 3 titles, all masters 500. He'll make the final of a 1000, but I don't see him further than a Quarter in slam. To the idiots thinking he can do damage at Wimbledon he has no chance on that surface even if they slow it down even more!

Start da Game
12-03-2011, 12:43 PM
0. The game has moved past him.

the movement has moved past him, not the game......he needs to condition himself towards higher levels of fitness if he intends to win best of 5 sets format matches against top 10 players......i think more matches will get him back to shape......

Imperfect Angel
12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
3 MM titles.:hug: but I don't mind having more and much bigger ones.:D

Chirag
12-03-2011, 01:34 PM
He will win a masters 100o event along with a title indoors .He will win open 13 .

Mateya
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
0 slams
No Umag
0 masters
1 small title (most likely on hardcourt)

Titles are not everything. For example, he can have a great season with SF of many slams and masters, reaching top10 and more. But no titles.
It's possible, especially if he's going to peak for bigger tournaments and not for those useless ATP250.

Start da Game
12-03-2011, 02:53 PM
concurred......no point in peaking for 250 tourneys or peaking for december......targeting big tournaments is what's needed......

!VamosRafa!
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
2 250 titles and one 500 title :)

Egreen
12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Maybe the USO again?

hisham70
12-04-2011, 02:47 PM
He could get some ATP WT 250 titles.

Svetlana T.
12-04-2011, 03:23 PM
His career is finished after these two chokes. I expect a retirement.

TMJordan
12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Might win a 250.

Nole Rules
12-04-2011, 03:44 PM
he might not win anything at all but if he does it'll be a 250 or a watered down 500

he's nothing special

:facepalm:

rubbERR
12-04-2011, 03:47 PM
His level is rising, expecting him to get Top 5 or close to it, at least Top 10 position quaranteed.

That means some titles and some great results.

nalbyfan
12-06-2011, 01:13 PM
For the moment he's the one who made Argentina lose DC one more time...he was already the Mar del Plata"s weak element and he was too in Sevillia...how could he become a top 5 ?? I can't get it

misty1
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
:facepalm:

oh your right, he's proven so much

yeah he won a grand slam..one, so have alot of guys

you can argue that he's young, he has lots of time but im sure those same arguments were used before for guys like roddick and ferrero when they were younger too

Ibracadabra
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
For the moment he's the one who made Argentina lose DC one more time...he was already the Mar del Plata"s weak element and he was too in Sevillia...how could he become a top 5 ?? I can't get it

Stop being bitter, nalbandian would be gotten crushed in both matches.

Sham Kay
12-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Might surprise us mid-season. I was impressed in patches against an admittedly wayward, yet still Nadal Nadal.. if you get what I'm saying (cause I sure don't).

That was with an off-nick serve and low confidence finishing big points. DelPo may have a very good clay season, possibly taking a title and several semi's.. after that, his late season should be good enough to get him his first long overdue Masters title and consequently world number 5.. which I just noticed is not part of this discussion. I'll click Post Quick Reply now.

shiaben
12-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Prediction= 0 slams.

However, I can see him take sets off the top 4-5 opponents (Then again this is irrelevant since he's not winning slams).

Start da Game
02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
he is going to win his first title of 2012 tomorrow.....is it an indication of things to come this season?

LawrenceOfTennis
02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Stop jinxing.

Start da Game
02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Stop jinxing.

i never jinxed anyone, lawrence.....i made a thread in late 2009 about djokovic getting back on track and he did get back on fast track come 2011.....i am expecting big performances from del potro this year.....

as a matter of fact i made the early discussions thread only for french open last year, talked positively about nadal's chances and that was the only slam nadal won last year.....

LawrenceOfTennis
02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
i never jinxed anyone, lawrence.....i made a thread in late 2009 about djokovic getting back on track and he did get back on fast track come 2011.....i am expecting big performances from del potro this year.....

as a matter of fact i made the early discussions thread only for french open last year, talked positively about nadal's chances and that was the only slam nadal won last year.....

I did not say it about you.
About some others.

Start da Game
02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
more to come.....keep counting.....

misst89
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Juan is getting back to his good form, so really I want to focus on getting a 500 and possibly a 1000. When he is 100% I see Delpo causing a few upsets but he isn't quite there yet. We're taking small steps at the moment, as of course I really want him to do well.

cobalt60
02-27-2012, 10:14 PM
He will win a masters 100o event along with a title indoors .He will win open 13 .

I am impressed so far.

swisht4u
02-27-2012, 11:49 PM
DelPo is moving in the right direction.
His serve is looking very good as it should for a guy his height.
He should have worked on it more a long time ago.

His endurance is unknown but a few tournaments ago he looked a little tired, hard to tell with the way he saunters around the court like he lost his favorite dog.

I'll say he gets four more titles but slams are rare now with Nadal, Djokovic and Murray looking very good.
DelPo has a hard time with Fed, Djokovic and Murray. Nadal would be a favorite against him too but not as much as the other top three.

If DelPo can get his ground game going, and it looks like he's getting there, he can really be a threat again.
Especially if the serve stays where it's at or better.

He looks a little better at the net.

Still missing is the powerful and consistent forehand, once that comes back all hell will break loose. :cool:

His mental game is one of the best, he doesn't worry too much about the stage he's on or who he's playing.

He may be better than he's ever been, it's a big statement but looking back at the end of 2009 he still had plenty of areas to improve.

DelPo can breakout at anytime with no notice, he's done it before and has the game to do it again.

tommyg6
02-28-2012, 12:36 AM
He's only going to win 250's and 500's, thats about it.

HuaTuo
02-28-2012, 03:18 AM
counting Copa Davis title?

Juan Ma Del Pony
02-28-2012, 04:20 AM
counting Copa Davis title?

If DelPo leads Argentina to a Davis Cup title this year, it is going to be EPIC and it could be the "X factor" that helps him redline his game consistently, the same way that winning Davis Cup in 2010 did for Djoker and his game....

dwarf shortage
02-28-2012, 06:55 AM
delpo is starting to gain consistency. any tournament where the big 4 aren't playing he has a 70% chance of winning.

henke007
02-28-2012, 07:32 AM
I'll say he gets four more titles but slams are rare now with Nadal, Djokovic and Murray looking very good.:rolls:

Ibracadabra
02-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Us open is a BIG chance in my opinion.

henke007
02-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Us open is a BIG chance in my opinion.

If they change back to non clay conditions.

ossie
02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
great thread. now that delpo has won his first tournament of the year i expect him to keep up his good form and win dubai as well while he is at it. he still has trouble consolidating breaks from time to time but i don´t think it is going to affect his performance in the slams too much where he will probably steamroll through the competition. apart from the slams i expect at least one masters title during the us hard court swing and a couple of smaller clay titles as well with maybe madrid or rome.

LocoPorElTenis
02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Don't overreact Ossie, Delpo will be dead tired in Dubai after playing two consecutive full weeks, wouldn't surpise me if he tanks or is outplayed by Dolgo or Tsonga.

He should win some more titles, perhaps Shanghai or Paris are good opportunities to snatch his first Masters.

Jovard
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Whoring up weak tournaments

Start da Game
02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
he should work in the direction of maximizing his chances at the french open......he should target and give his hundred percent at indian wells, montecarlo, rome and french open......

Start da Game
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
great thread. now that delpo has won his first tournament of the year i expect him to keep up his good form and win dubai as well while he is at it. he still has trouble consolidating breaks from time to time but i don´t think it is going to affect his performance in the slams too much where he will probably steamroll through the competition. apart from the slams i expect at least one masters title during the us hard court swing and a couple of smaller clay titles as well with maybe madrid or rome.

he should really target indian wells first, ossie.....the high bounce at indian wells plays right into his hitting zone and he can swing powerfully all day from a comfortable height.....

it's important to take gaps between events.....so low bouncing miami can be taken lightly and then he can prepare for montecarlo and rome, two high bouncing events with good spacing between them on the schedule.....that will be the best preparationfor french open, another high bouncing fast clay court where his power can come to party big time.....

tealeaves
02-28-2012, 03:21 PM
4-6.

Mystique
02-28-2012, 03:30 PM
I think he could snatch a MS1000 this yea, and a couple of 250's and 500s. Not a slam yet, but I say 4-6 titles.