grigor dimitrov [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

grigor dimitrov

tests
11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
what is going on with this kid? He has a lot of potential/talent... but he is not going anywhere.

I have seen a good a mount of his matches... and his main issues seem to be bad decisions... his movement is kind of awkward at times (slips a lot)... he is sometimes content to rally WAY TOO MUCH with topspin... and he is not as aggressive as federer.

Can he really live up to the label of being the next federer? It seems he lacks two main facets which make federer great: sublime movement, and the ability to hit insane winners/angles (but maybe he has that potential, but just has not realized it yet?)

Saberq
11-29-2011, 08:36 PM
when he stops copying Fed he might do something

Looner
11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
His FH is nowhere near the level required to break into the men's game. He can't hit it close to the line DTL and he has no penetration on it. He needs to train his ass off otherwise he'll remain as another promising failure of a youngster.

Time Violation
11-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Can he really live up to the label of being the next federer?

Nope

ossie
11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
i love how 90% of mtf thinks their favourite player is only lacking in the mental/brains department when there are so many glaring weaknesses in his game.

madmax
11-29-2011, 09:56 PM
this kid is still compared to Federer by some?:facepalm: With that ungainly footwork, crappy BH and braindead shot selection he is yet another Gulbis out there (although I rate latvian better due to his superior serve and touch at the net).

Gagsquet
11-29-2011, 10:01 PM
the next Gulbis

ossie
11-29-2011, 10:05 PM
the next Gulbisactually he has a lot in common with your boy gascoke, both were hyped as the next federer and it looks like dimugtrov is just going to be the next gascoke.

Gagsquet
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
actually he has a lot in common with your boy gascoke, both were hyped as the next federer and it looks like dimugtrov is just going to be the next gascoke.

I didn't stand a chance against you :awww:

Time Violation
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
this kid is still compared to Federer by some?:facepalm: With that ungainly footwork, crappy BH and braindead shot selection he is yet another Gulbis out there (although I rate latvian better due to his superior serve and touch at the net).

the next Gulbis

I said the same thing a year ago, and got jumped by his fans :lol:

sylacauga
11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
2012 may be his breakout year. I predict he will make the QF of a slam next year (maybe even SF with a favorable draw).

shanks
11-29-2011, 10:26 PM
He needs to develop more physically. Then he might have better chance. Currently the game is very tough and he does not have the necessary firepower. Finesse will not get it done. But he has enough time to make some changes. He might surprise us all :)

Matt01
11-30-2011, 12:09 AM
actually he has a lot in common with your boy gascoke, both were hyped as the next federer and it looks like dimugtrov is just going to be the next gascoke.

Thank you for exposing that clown Grassquet. :worship:

Gasquet and Dimitorv have indeed a lot in common. Lots of talent, beautiful game :hearts:

Henry Chinaski
11-30-2011, 12:12 AM
he split with Pete McNamara. Not sure which of them made that call but I don't think it's going to help GD

Las7
11-30-2011, 02:23 PM
He needs to work extensively on his footwork and movement around the court; as well as his backhand. His shot selection won't be a problem if he positions himself well - which he isn't doing right now hence players are able to just play to his weaknesses all the time. Not sure if he would break through in the top 10 if he doesn't addresses these glaring flaws in his game - but he is doing alright I think. He has worked on his serve thus far from what I've seen of him on the tour, now he needs to focus on other portions of his game.

Lopez
11-30-2011, 02:25 PM
he split with Pete McNamara. Not sure which of them made that call but I don't think it's going to help GD

Don't think McNamara was very fond of the kid, they're attitudes were completely opposite of each other.

nole_no1
11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
He's just overrated

tektonac
11-30-2011, 05:58 PM
if GD adopts Nadal's play style his career should head north ;)

MuzzahLovah
11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
He's beautiful in all ways. If tennis doesn't work out he should try acting or modeling. :hearts:
But his game is really pretty.

JurajCrane
11-30-2011, 11:34 PM
He has a huge potential. His game is beautiful to watch (ahh, let´s wonder together why ?) and I think 2012 will be crucial for him.

Improve in movement and try to make a killing weapon from his forehand - this guy in top 20 this time next year.

tests
12-01-2011, 03:21 AM
He's beautiful in all ways. If tennis doesn't work out he should try acting or modeling. :hearts:

lmao, is he really that good looking? I would say he is an 8/10 (no homo)

tests
12-01-2011, 03:24 AM
He has a huge potential. His game is beautiful to watch (ahh, let´s wonder together why ?) and I think 2012 will be crucial for him.

Improve in movement and try to make a killing weapon from his forehand - this guy in top 20 this time next year.

what makes you so sure he has huge potential? I mean his forehand is nowhere near federers... even when federer was at dimitrovs age.

Dimitrov doesn't seem to have any "unique" weapons, like a fed forehand. Unless he can develop these...

Mountaindewslave
12-01-2011, 03:47 AM
He needs to work extensively on his footwork and movement around the court; as well as his backhand. His shot selection won't be a problem if he positions himself well - which he isn't doing right now hence players are able to just play to his weaknesses all the time. Not sure if he would break through in the top 10 if he doesn't addresses these glaring flaws in his game - but he is doing alright I think. He has worked on his serve thus far from what I've seen of him on the tour, now he needs to focus on other portions of his game.

this is pretty accurate and seems to address his problems

shiaben
12-01-2011, 04:50 AM
what is going on with this kid? He has a lot of potential/talent... but he is not going anywhere.

I have seen a good a mount of his matches... and his main issues seem to be bad decisions... his movement is kind of awkward at times (slips a lot)... he is sometimes content to rally WAY TOO MUCH with topspin... and he is not as aggressive as federer.

Can he really live up to the label of being the next federer? It seems he lacks two main facets which make federer great: sublime movement, and the ability to hit insane winners/angles (but maybe he has that potential, but just has not realized it yet?)

Imitating Federer isn't potential nor talent.

tests
12-01-2011, 05:31 AM

i doubt he is copying him on purpose...

dabeast
12-01-2011, 05:32 AM

Someone had to say it :yeah:

his movement is his biggest weakness (let's not even talk lack of firepower esp. the bh :tape:) most of the time he gets stretched wide on both sides, the balance is horrible, he starts slipping and sliding all over the place. Just poor anticipation and clueless shot selection. I get the feeling this kid would rather look good out there than play with some kind of strategy.

Asadinator
12-01-2011, 06:19 AM
i doubt he is copying him on purpose...

He just had to stumble upon that technique and Federer's coaches... Of course he is copying him on purpose

Jaz
12-01-2011, 07:07 AM
He's not gonna make it without major changes to his game.

tests
12-01-2011, 07:09 AM
do you think its possible that dimitrov can develop a great forehand like fed has? I mean it seems that he only plays with top spin sometimes... and his strokes aren't as powerful as federers.

Asadinator
12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
do you think its possible that dimitrov can develop a great forehand like fed has? I mean it seems that he only plays with top spin sometimes... and his strokes aren't as powerful as federers.

I like his forehand, but yes he can flatten it out a bit more, but that's the least of his problems. His biggest problem is his mentality. They guy is still immature and seems to care more about looking good than winning.

Gagsquet
12-01-2011, 01:01 PM

No way you're a guy.

tests
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I like his forehand, but yes he can flatten it out a bit more, but that's the least of his problems. His biggest problem is his mentality. They guy is still immature and seems to care more about looking good than winning.

the question was not if he can get a flatter forehand... but more of if he can get that versatile forehand that federer has

tests
12-31-2011, 07:18 AM
bump

Saberq
12-31-2011, 11:26 AM
he still sucks .........he is what 21 next year and still hasnt won a Masters even ....

Time Violation
12-31-2011, 01:07 PM
he still sucks .........he is what 21 next year and still hasnt won a Masters even ....

Lol, won a Masters... he was still playing futures last year :)

Topspindoctor
12-31-2011, 01:10 PM
He'll win Hopman Cup this year :rocker2:

Matt01
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
He'll win Hopman Cup this year :rocker2:

This would be great for him. :yeah:

He'll focus on the Slams later. They're overrated anyway. :cool:

viruzzz
12-31-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't know what to think of this guy.
He has the game, beautiful backhand who can hurt so much...

But in the other hand, he's a massive choker, he can play really well like vs Baggy this year or really bad.
I don't know... I hope time would bring him up.