Top 10 matches of 2011 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Top 10 matches of 2011

fsoica
11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
I invite each and everyone of you to make a personal top10 of the matches of 2011...
Here is mine:

1. Rome Final, Djokovic - Nadal
2. USOpen Final, Djokovic - Nadal
3. Bercy SF, Federer - Berdych
4. USOpen R16, Federer - Monaco
5. Madrid Final, Djokovic - Nadal
6. Rome SF, Djokovic - Murray
7. WTF RR, Federer - Nadal
8. Shanghai R16, Mayer - Nadal
9. Monte Carlo SF, Nadal - Murray
10.USOpen SF, Djokovic - Federer

m0dDL0Jzknk

CBd0pERPaSU

Adri89
11-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Come in my mind :

1. Djokovic/Nadal USO final
2. Federer/Djokovic RG SF
3. Federer/Djokovic USO SF
4. Monfils/Ferrero USO R64
5. Djokovic/Federer AO SF (yes i enjoyed a lot the Fed-Djoko rivalry this year)
6. Gasquet/Federer Rome R16 (Gasquet/Berdych just after was pretty good as well)
7. Tsonga/Federer Wimbly QF
8. Djokovic/Murray Rome SF
9. Nalbandian/Hewitt AO R128
10. Monfils/Ferrer RG R16

delpiero7
11-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Anyone that doesn't have Nalby-Hewitt in their top 10 seriously needs a slap.

Also, I doubt many people watched it, but Kubot vs Lopez at Wimbledon was also a seriously good match.

MIMIC
11-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Speaking of which, starting December 1st, Tennis Channel will be airing the top 30 tennis matches of 2011....1 match every day until the end of the month, counting down to the #1 pick (as voted by fans on the website).

RafaNadal2012!!!
11-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Speaking of which, starting December 1st, Tennis Channel will be airing the top 30 tennis matches of 2011....1 match every day until the end of the month, counting down to the #1 pick (as voted by fans on the website).

Tennis Channel is stupid, they didn't include Federer Djokovic French Open in their list of matches.

Topspindoctor
11-28-2011, 11:38 PM
USO final was probably highest level of tennis ever seen.

RafaNadal2012!!!
11-28-2011, 11:39 PM
The top ten matches I enjoyed the match/result the most:

Result:
1. Nadal def. Federer Roland Garros
2. Federer def. Djokovic Roland Garros
3. Nadal def. Murray Us Open (Live)
4. Nadal def. Ferrer Monte Carlo
5. Nadal def. Murray Wimbledon
6. Nadal def. Murray Roland Garros
7. Federer def. Tsonga Paris Masters
8. Nadal def. Federer Miami (Live)
9. Nadal def. Del Po Wimbledon
10.Federer def. Tsonga World Tour Finals

Match:
1. Federer def. Djokovic French Open (Literally fucking screaming for an hour afterwards)
2. Djokovic def. Federer Us Open (Live)
3. Ferrero def. Monfils Us Open
4. Nadal def. Del Po Wimbledon
5. Nadal def. Murray French Open
6. Nadal def. Berdych Miami (Live)
7. Nalbandian def. Hewitt Australian Open
8. Djokovic def. Nadal Us Open (3rd Set=best set of 2011)
9. Murray def. Isner Us Open (Live)
10.Nadal def. Roddick Us Open (Live)

Some of my favorite matches are the ones I saw live in the stadium because it's a much better match that way. Obviously Nadal def. Roddick and Murray def. Isner were bad matches but I loved seeing them live.

MIMIC
11-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Tennis Channel is stupid, they didn't include Federer Djokovic French Open in their list of matches.

Yeah, I thought that was a bad omission, too. It was definitely one of the best matches of the year.

RafaNadal2012!!!
11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I thought that was a bad omission, too. It was definitely one of the best matches of the year.

I mean just scroll down
http://www.tennischannel.com/ymc/vote.aspx

At the bottom you'll see EVERYONE is saying "where is Federer Djokovic RG?"

guga2120
11-28-2011, 11:54 PM
1. Rome Final, Djokovic - Nadal

6. Rome SF, Djokovic - Murray

The Rome final was not that great quality of a match. The sf Novak, won was the best match of the year.

Pirata.
11-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Also, I doubt many people watched it, but Kubot vs Lopez at Wimbledon was also a seriously good match.

That was a good match.

Yeah, wtf :stupid: These kinds of lists are always stupid, the best matches aren't always just the semis or finals. Very US biased too. I mean, Atlanta and LA finals?

Henry Chinaski
11-29-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm not going to be nasty and call the posters in this thread idiots (let's face it, they probably are).

Instead I will just recommend that they watch Fognini v Montanes from Roland Garros and then reevaluate their lists.

I mean this sincerely.

Thanks.

Henry Chinaski
11-29-2011, 12:33 AM
USO final was probably highest level of tennis ever seen.

yeah djokovic's 80mph serving and nadal's incisive returns of such bombs reminded me a lot of vintage sampras v agassi

Shirogane
11-29-2011, 12:37 AM
USO final was probably highest level of tennis ever seen.I'm sure I've seen better matches on clay.

Instead I will just recommend that they watch Fognini v Montanes from Roland Garros and then reevaluate their lists.

I mean this sincerely.

Thanks.Voilà. :worship:

Looner
11-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Tennis Channel (so I've heard) don't like broadcasting matches Fed has won. I thin that's the reason that match was not included. From what I've been told they only show GS finals he's lost as well since only those are deemed 'epic'. Idiots.

RafaNadal2012!!!
11-29-2011, 01:04 AM
Tennis Channel (so I've heard) don't like broadcasting matches Fed has won. I thin that's the reason that match was not included. From what I've been told they only show GS finals he's lost as well since only those are deemed 'epic'. Idiots.

Whatever, their mug poll counts for nothing. We all know what the best match was this year by some margin

Naudio Spanlatine
11-29-2011, 01:10 AM
The top ten matches I enjoyed the match/result the most:

Result:
1. Nadal def. Federer Roland Garros
2. Federer def. Djokovic Roland Garros
3. Nadal def. Murray Us Open (Live)
4. Nadal def. Ferrer Monte Carlo
5. Nadal def. Murray Wimbledon
6. Nadal def. Murray Roland Garros
7. Federer def. Tsonga Paris Masters
8. Nadal def. Federer Miami (Live)
9. Nadal def. Del Po Wimbledon
10.Federer def. Tsonga World Tour Finals

Match:
1. Federer def. Djokovic French Open (Literally fucking screaming for an hour afterwards)
2. Djokovic def. Federer Us Open (Live)
3. Ferrero def. Monfils Us Open
4. Nadal def. Del Po Wimbledon
5. Nadal def. Murray French Open
6. Nadal def. Berdych Miami (Live)
7. Nalbandian def. Hewitt Australian Open
8. Djokovic def. Nadal Us Open (3rd Set=best set of 2011)
9. Murray def. Isner Us Open (Live)
10.Nadal def. Roddick Us Open (Live)

Some of my favorite matches are the ones I saw live in the stadium because it's a much better match that way. Obviously Nadal def. Roddick and Murray def. Isner were bad matches but I loved seeing them live.

i love you avi, and welcome sweetie, i love those matches too!:hug: :hearts: :inlove:

Saberq
11-29-2011, 01:29 AM
I am starting to dislike RafaNadal 2012 already for being a coward and screaming for an hour after Fed beat Nole so that his/hers hero can get a GS .....lol

danieln1
11-29-2011, 01:50 AM
Best match of 2011

Tour Finals: Roger Federer def. Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-0

Australian, Wimbledon and US Open finals, RG Semis where Federer def. Djokovic in Four sets .
Madrid SF: Novak Djokovic def. Thomaz Bellucci
Madrid, Rome Finals

mystic ice cube
11-29-2011, 01:57 AM
#1 - Federer def. Djokovic, French Open (7–6, 6–3, 3–6, 7–6)
Incredible match! I was literally jumping all over the place when he won.

#2 - Federer def. Tsonga, WTF (6-3, 7-6, 6-3)
It was extremely tight in the end.

#3 - Djokovic def. Nadal, US Open (6–2, 6–4, 6–7, 6–1)
Terrific match from Nole.

#4 - Nalbandian def. Hewitt, Australian Open (3-6, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6, 9-7)
Fucking awesome! I felt bad for Lleyton though.

#5 - Djokovic def. Nadal, Rome Masters (6-4, 6-4)
Insane tennis from both men.

#6 - Fognini def. Montanes, French Open (4–6, 6–4, 3–6, 6–3, 11–9)
Entertaining match.

#7 - Federer def. Nadal, WTF (6-3, 6-0)
A special match because of the level of tennis produced by Roger.

#8 - Djokovic def. Federer, US Open (6–7, 4–6, 6–3, 6–2, 7–5)
Disappointed as a Fed fan but the tension doesn't get any more than it did in this match.

#9 - Djokovic def. Nadal, Wimbledon (6–4, 6–1, 1–6, 6–3)

#10 - Young def. Wawrinka, US Open (7-6, 3-6, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6)

Chirag
11-29-2011, 06:50 AM
My top 10 matches for 2011 would be (only mens)

10.Monte Carlo SF- Nadal beat Murray
9.Australian Open R1-Nalbandian beat Hewitt
8.Miami Final-Djokovic beat Nadal
7.Madrid R1-Federer beat Lopez
6.French Open Final-Nadal beat Federer
5.French Open R3-Djokovic beat Del Potro
4.Us Open semi-Djokovic beat Federer
3.US Open Final-Djokovic beat Nadal
2.Rome semi-Murray beat Djokovic (I actually havent see this will see this after rewatching the london final )
and last but I am pretty sure without a doubt
1.French Open semi-Federer beat Djokovic :D

My favourate tournament was definately from a fans perspective Paris indoors ,great tennis from Roger :D:D but objectively it was the US Open .Djokovic beat Fedal back to back to win that event .Both matches lasted 4 hours I would really want to watch those 2 matches again .Maybe will do so after watching the rome semi ;)

RogerFedererNo1
12-01-2011, 09:39 AM
1. Federer def. Djokovic (French Open)
Just an amzing match :eek:

2. Djokovic def. Nadal (US Open)
Long rallies, great tennis but not as good as Fed-Djo

3. Djokovic def. Murray (Rome)

4. Djokovic def. Federer (US Open)
It´s a bit overrated, I think. But overall still a great match

5. Nalbandian def. Hewitt (Australian Open)
I ranked it on 5, because it was a fantastic match. What a tension and quality :eek: This match had everything: quality, a fantastic crowd, tension and two champions :p

6. Djokovic def. Nadal (Miami)
Great match, too. And the turning point in their rivalry.

7. Nadal def. Federer (French Open)
Nadal did not play as good as in the previous years and Federer choked a bit .. it was a high quality match anyway .. and a sad end :rolleyes:

8. Federer def. Nadal (WTF)
:worship:

9. Nadal def. Murray (Monte Carlo)

10. Wawrinka def. Tsonga (French Open)

Sophocles
12-01-2011, 09:47 AM
The best match was obviously & by far the Fed-Djoker R.G. semi.

asmazif
12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Anyone that doesn't have Nalby-Hewitt in their top 10 seriously needs a slap.

These were actually the two that first came to mind when I saw the thread title :)

Nalby-Hewitt AO
Kubot-Lopez W
Nole-Murray Rome
Tsonga-Fed W
Fed-Nole RG
Fed-Nole USO
Nole-Nadal USO
Tsonga-Murray Queens
Mayer-Nadal Shanghai
Tsonga-Stan RG

I'm sure I've forgotten several.

Shirogane
12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Good choices...

Saberq
12-01-2011, 12:44 PM
My top 10 matches for 2011 would be (only mens)

10.Monte Carlo SF- Nadal beat Murray
9.Australian Open R1-Nalbandian beat Hewitt
8.Miami Final-Djokovic beat Nadal
7.Madrid R1-Federer beat Lopez
6.French Open Final-Nadal beat Federer
5.French Open R3-Djokovic beat Del Potro
4.Us Open semi-Djokovic beat Federer
3.US Open Final-Djokovic beat Nadal
2.Rome semi-Murray beat Djokovic (I actually havent see this will see this after rewatching the london final )
and last but I am pretty sure without a doubt
1.French Open semi-Federer beat Djokovic :D

My favourate tournament was definately from a fans perspective Paris indoors ,great tennis from Roger :D:D but objectively it was the US Open .Djokovic beat Fedal back to back to win that event .Both matches lasted 4 hours I would really want to watch those 2 matches again .Maybe will do so after watching the rome semi ;)

:facepalm:

The best match was obviously & by far the Fed-Djoker R.G. semi.

for a Fed fan

Shirogane
12-01-2011, 12:59 PM
You could call it one of – if not – Fed's best match on clay, one of the best in the tournament's history, and one of the best four-setters ever played. But since I'm a Fed fan, I'll do it for you.

Sophocles
12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
for a Fed fan

Djoker played some amazing stuff too. Much bigger forehands than he hits - or needs to hit - against Nadal.

Gagsquet
12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Federer-Djokovic RG
Federer-Djokovic USO
Djokovic-Nadal USO
Djokovic-Murray Rome
Fognigni-Montanes RG
Federer-Gasquet Rome
Federer-Tsonga Wimbledon
Gasquet-Roddick Indian Wells
Federer-Nadal WTF

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 03:30 PM
This year was terrible overall, quality wise. The top 10 matches of the year all have Murray or Federer in them. Mayer's match against Nadal qualifies too. Apart from that, the year was a total waste of time. Only the last part of the season salvaged itself from going into the record books as the worst tennis year of all time.

Start da Game
12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
match of the year: french open - 1st round
nadal def. isner 6-4, 6-7(2), 6-7(2), 6-2, 6-4

first round, almost zero form, low confidence......what a match, what a fight!

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
match of the year: french open - 1st round
nadal def. isner 6-4, 6-7(2), 6-7(2), 6-2, 6-4

first round, almost zero form, low confidence......what a match, what a fight!
The best thing about that match was Isner. It was a shame he lost, he deserved to win.

tennizen
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM

And they have the Atlanta final:facepalm:

tennizen
12-01-2011, 04:12 PM
yeah djokovic's 80mph serving and nadal's incisive returns of such bombs reminded me a lot of vintage sampras v agassi

Tennis quality need not be the only determining factor. It was one of the most intense matches I have ever seen from sets 1-3. Both of them played with some mad energy for much of the first couple of hours.

Start da Game
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
concurred......that us open final was more than just a tennis match......it was a battle of minds, stamina and sheer intensity......that third set was like killing each other inside a colosseum......sad that nadal had only 3 hours of fight in the tank for that match all due to rigged scheduling 3 best of 5 set matches in 3 days......

that is why i believe that nadal is not going to go away in australia next month......watch out for him if he is fit and playing at a decent level......it will take 5 hours just to take him to the fifth set even if the opponent is djokovic 2.0......

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Tennis quality need not be the only determining factor. It was one of the most intense matches I have ever seen from sets 1-3. Both of them played with some mad energy for much of the first couple of hours.
You're wrong. The US Open final was terrible. Both players were terrible. The quality was very sour and the winner was also terrible. I don't know which final was more terrible. The Wimbledon final or the US Open final.

tennizen
12-01-2011, 04:38 PM
What are your thoughts on the AO final, Sapeod?

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
What are your thoughts on the AO final, Sapeod?
Terrible final, as well. In fact, all the slam finals this year were pretty terrible. The best one was probably the RG final, but that's not saying much.

The Australian Open final was weak. Murray played badly. Djokovic played pretty mediocre too. Those two things resulted in a lacklustre, rubbish final. Had Murray played better, then it would've been better. However, he played badly and therefore Djokovic didn't need to do much to win. It was incredibly sad to see what could've been an amazing final turn into a terrible display of mediocre Djokovic and terrible Murray.

tennizen
12-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Terrible final, as well. In fact, all the slam finals this year were pretty terrible. The best one was probably the RG final, but that's not saying much.

2012 will be better. I can feel it. But 2013 will be the best.

Slice Winner
12-01-2011, 05:13 PM
To be honest, I do think the US Open final is overrated.
It was basically a high quality clay match. Long rallies, lots and lots of defensive skills on display.
Entertaining for sure (if you're not a Nadal fan), but very tiring to watch after a while. Certainly not one of the top 3 matches of the year, IMVHO.

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 05:19 PM
2012 will be better. I can feel it. But 2013 will be the best.
Yes, it will. I know you're being sarcastic here, but I agree with your sarcasm. Or rather, I agree with your sarcastic truth.

tennizen
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, it will. I know you're being sarcastic here, but I agree with your sarcasm. Or rather, I agree with your sarcastic truth.

You are a very smart 16 year old, Sapeod. That's what I like about you:D

abraxas21
12-01-2011, 05:30 PM
1- Doha. Nikolay Davydenko d. Nadal 3-6, 2-6
2- London. Roger Federer d. Nadal 3-6, 0-6
3- Tokyo. Florian Mayer d. Nadal 6-7(5), 3-6
4- Queen's. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga d. Nadal 7-6(3), 4-6, 1-6
5- London. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga d. Nadal 6-7(2), 6-4, 3-6
6- Canada. Ivan Dodig d. Nadal 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-7(5)
7- Shanghai. Andy Murray d. Nadal 6-3, 2-6, 0-6
8- Cinci. Mardy Fish d. Nadal 3-6, 4-6
9- AO. David Ferrer d. Nadal 4-6, 2-6, 3-6
10- Rome. Novak Djokovic d. Nadal 5-7, 4-6

Saberq
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
You are a very smart 16 year old, Sapeod. That's what I like about you:D

shame he is o bitter and angry ....he is just a kid though

EddieNero
12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Only Fed-Nole RG 2011 comes to my mind. Federer-Nadal in London was exceptional as well, yet too lopsided.
The rest was low quality/boring/predictable. In fact, 2011 was the most foreseeable season I have witnessed.

Hoping for a better/ more competetive 2012.

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 06:28 PM
shame he is o bitter and angry ....he is just a kid though
Bitter and angry? You don't seem to know me very well if you say that. I'm neither of those. I wonder what your reasons are for thinking that? Because I hate Djokovic? Because I hate Nadal? I hate them because they are cheating fakers and because they're terrible players. How does that make me bitter and angry? I guess you have your reasons. They're not correct, though.

Stronga23
12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Monfils-Ferrer was my favorite match of the year :D. It was the only time where Gael left the clowning in the locker room ;)

Saberq
12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Bitter and angry? You don't seem to know me very well if you say that. I'm neither of those. I wonder what your reasons are for thinking that? Because I hate Djokovic? Because I hate Nadal? I hate them because they are cheating fakers and because they're terrible players. How does that make me bitter and angry? I guess you have your reasons. They're not correct, though.

I have no problem with you hating Nadal or Djokovic...my problem is that you say they are terrible players that is my problem .....

Egreen
12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Fed-Nole RG 2011 SF.

Stronga23
12-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I have no problem with you hating Nadal or Djokovic...my problem is that you say they are terrible players that is my problem .....

I know if they are so terrible how come they beat Murray in all of the slams this year.

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 06:50 PM
But they are.
I know if they are so terrible how come they beat Murray in all of the slams this year.
Murray was awful in all of his slam losses. The only good sets he played were the ones he won and even then, he still wasn't that great. It's a pity he had to play so badly. Otherwise, I'm sure he would've won most, if not all of them.

Stronga23
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
But they are.

Murray was awful in all of his slam losses. The only good sets he played were the ones he won and even then, he still wasn't that great. It's a pity he had to play so badly. Otherwise, I'm sure he would've won most, if not all of them.

He would have beat Rafa if not for the rain delays in New York.

Sapeod
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
He would have beat Rafa if not for the rain delays in New York.
Of course. He would've beaten Nadal there anyway if he had played well. His RG loss was unavoidable, because he's not exactly good enough to beat Nadal there over 5 sets, yet. His Wimbledon loss was terrible, though. He would've won if he had just kept his cool and played well throughout the match. The Australian Open loss was largely due to him being totally crap, but he was pretty horrible when it came to movement too, as something was bothering him. 2/4 of his losses would've been wins if he had played well. Would he have won the finals? Both against Djokovic. I'm very sure he would've won the US Open. Wimbledon? Too slow, imo. Then again, he is great on grass, slow or not.

Fuser59
12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
How can a Nadal match be 'ONE of the Year' or even top 10 for that matter...SAMO-OLD, SAME-OLD...till I fall asleep amd then a vamos wakes me just to fall asleep again...

So yeah Fed-Nole RG and Fed-Nadal London...for selfish reasons

stewietennis
12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
How can a Nadal match be 'ONE of the Year' or even top 10 for that matter...SAMO-OLD, SAME-OLD...till I fall asleep amd then a vamos wakes me just to fall asleep again...

Why watch a match if it'll put you to sleep?

mystic ice cube
12-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Why watch a match if it'll put you to sleep?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jKUFgcesGEA/Ta4IoOCbXGI/AAAAAAAABXY/KkhlYhjpSqs/s1600/rafael-nadal-sports-craze-06.jpg
Rafael Nadal, curing insomnia since turning pro 2001

To be fair the judgement of Nadal on this forum is generally at two ends of the spectrum. I'm not exactly a fan of his tennis but nobody can deny his great talent and that he isn't BORING to watch to be honest. Rome final vs. Djokovic can tell you that.

Saberq
12-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Dani with his stupidity .....Murray to beat Novak at the US Open LOL :haha:

incognito
12-02-2011, 05:56 AM
To be honest, I do think the US Open final is overrated.
It was basically a high quality clay match. Long rallies, lots and lots of defensive skills on display.
Entertaining for sure (if you're not a Nadal fan), but very tiring to watch after a while. Certainly not one of the top 3 matches of the year, IMVHO.
I disagree... While the serving was mediocre in the final, many of the baseline rallies were superb and the quality of the rallies more than made up for the subpar serving. Different match-ups can sometimes result in different styles of tennis played in response to the different strengths and weaknesses of each player. The Djokovic-Federer semifinal was in that sense the opposite of the Djokovic-Nadal match, with big serving and short point construction. It's simply a matchup-related issue, not a quality-related issue. Both matches were great in their own way, IMHO.

SetSampras
12-02-2011, 06:00 AM
2011 USO SF with Nole and Fed.. Just a thing of beauty.. Only match I enjoyed more was AO 2009 Finals.http://showstalker.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/federer-crying-aus-open-09.jpg
I notice the problem with these "Rafole" matches is Rafa always seems to find himself in a 2 set hole before he finally begins to play some tennis.. And by then its too late

Pirata.
12-02-2011, 07:32 AM
2011 USO SF with Nole and Fed.. Just a thing of beauty.. Only match I enjoyed more was AO 2009 Finals.http://showstalker.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/federer-crying-aus-open-09.jpg
I notice the problem with these "Rafole" matches is Rafa always seems to find himself in a 2 set hole before he finally begins to play some tennis.. And by then its too late

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0906/tennis.alltime.mens.grand.slam.leaders/images/roger-federer-16-grand-slam-trophies.jpg

There there Pete. You'll always have Macau
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00754/Sampras_350x420_754173a.jpg

SheenKJohn
12-02-2011, 08:10 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0906/tennis.alltime.mens.grand.slam.leaders/images/roger-federer-16-grand-slam-trophies.jpg

:worship: :devil: :cool: :wavey: :bowdown: :haha: :woohoo:

:superlol:

peRfect-Tennis
12-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Anyone who doesn't include the Federer Djokovic French Open semi is clearly mental in the face!

Egreen
12-02-2011, 09:39 PM

:rolls:

Slice Winner
12-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I disagree... While the serving was mediocre in the final, many of the baseline rallies were superb and the quality of the rallies more than made up for the subpar serving. Different match-ups can sometimes result in different styles of tennis played in response to the different strengths and weaknesses of each player. The Djokovic-Federer semifinal was in that sense the opposite of the Djokovic-Nadal match, with big serving and short point construction. It's simply a matchup-related issue, not a quality-related issue. Both matches were great in their own way, IMHO.

I take your point, but just have a slightly different view.
Is it possible that your view is slightly biased because it was incredible to see Djoko win the USO for the first time?

Let's be honest, the serving was not mediocre, it was appalling, from both. Nole already had the shoulder problems, and Nadal has been serving WTA standard for the last 5 months.
There were lots of long rallies... some were superb... others were just scrapping, defensive, drawn out, not especially great to watch.
Like I said before, defense versus defense produces some exhilirating rallies, but it does tend to get boring after a while. Nole did attack somewhat in that match, but nothing like he was doing earlier in the year.

Anyway, long rallies =/= good tennis. Just good defense, which is half of tennis. I don't recall many stunning moments of offense from either, and I don't recall any variety at all from either. (aside from the occasional drop from Nole, and the junkballing / sub-par slicing from Nadal.)

The match stands out because there weren't that many amazing matches this year, purely on tennis terms.
In terms of drama and what it meant for Nole's year, it was right up there.
I'm gonna go watch the highlights again.

hiperborejac
12-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Best quality:

Federer - Djokovic RG SF. For quality match u really need both players to be on their top performance.

Best drama:

1. Federer - Djokovic USO SF. It's miraculous what Novak did to Fed in that match.
2. Federer - Tsonga Wimbledon. I really couldn't believe that Tsonga had a mental capacity to come back from 2-0 down.
3. Djokovic - Murray Rome SF

Best intensity:

Nadal - Djokovic USO F.
Djokovic - Bellucci Madrid SF

Best one-sided performance:

Federer - Nadal WTF

Best one-sided set:

1. Federer - Nadal WTF 6-0
2. Djokovic - Nadal Wimbledon F 6-1

rubbERR
12-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Any match Nadal got beaten, only because i know that made TOpSpinDOctoR cry his little balls out.

guga2120
12-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Best quality:

Federer - Djokovic RG SF. For quality match u really need both players to be on their top performance.

3. Djokovic - Murray Rome SF

I don't if you watched Nole much during the clay season but he was far from his best in that match. The only match where those two played against each other this year where they both played well the entire time, was Australia.

You are right about Novak/Andy in Rome, great match.

Slice Winner
12-03-2011, 04:07 AM
I don't if you watched Nole much during the clay season but he was far from his best in that match. The only match where those two played against each other this year where they both played well the entire time, was Australia.

Wrong, Fed was not at his best in Australia SF.

STUHL
12-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Ok there is my Top Ten, but it was really hard for me because there where a lot of Matches i wanted to have in my top ten. :D

10.Djokovic def. Nadal (Madrid 2011)
It was a close battle for me between this one and the Match in Rome, but the tweener of Nadal is something that I will remember.

9.Federer def. Nadal (WTF 2011)
Unbliveable Match from Federer, where Nadal could do nothing against him

8. Ferrer def. Del Potro (DavisCup 2011)
Just happend yesterday, but it was maybe the best clay court fight this year. The intensitiy was just crazy.

7. Nadal def. del Potro (Wimbledon 2011)
Surpringsly I found a Match where Nadal won in my Top Ten. This Match was so close and I was really hopeig for del Potrobut in the end Nadals defence was too strong.

6. Djokovic def. Nadal (US Open 2011)
Good final only in the third Set, but this set was enough to bein the Top Ten, because it was just insane how Nadal started to fight.

5. Nalbandian def. Hewitt ( Austrailian Open 2011)
Best Match of the OZ Open,where Nalby won this drama so close at the end. The way he saved the Match Points where GOAT like.

4. Djokovic def. Federer (US Open 2011)
An other epic between these two, which went not the way i wanted, but still a great Match, best Match of the US Open.

3.Mayer def. Nadal (Shanghai 2011)
Maybe a bit overranked but i was just by Flo. Played like a GOAT. Best performance of a German in years.

2. Djokovic def. Nadal (Miami 2011)
Best Match of the these two this year. Thats the way hoe the US open Final should have been.

1. Federer def. Djokovic ( French Open 2011)
One Word: Epic. One of the best Matches in the last years and the best 4 Setter i have ever seen. Everything was just perfect!

GSMnadal
12-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Has anyone mentioned Nadal-Tsonga, Nadal-Gasquet, Nadal-Monaco in the davis cup yet? Highest quality of clay tennis you'll see since 2008.

alter ego
12-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Has anyone mentioned Nadal-Tsonga, Nadal-Gasquet, Nadal-Monaco in the davis cup yet? Highest quality of clay tennis you'll see since 2008.

Has anyone mentioned Federer vs Monaco 6-1 6-2 6-0 yet? highest quality of hardcourt tennis since 1789.

Ilovetheblues_86
12-03-2011, 09:18 AM
I dunno..but matches I was impressed...

1. Dolgopolov def Tsonga in Australian Open
2. Tomic def Lopez in Australian Open
3. Nicolas Mahut def Giles Muller 7-6 6-4 CH COURMAYER - good tennis
4. Jamie Baker def Konstantin Kravchuk 6-7 7-6 7-6 CH ASTANA-2 - 3 hours of pure awesomeness
5. Alex Bogomolov Jr. def Rainer Schuettler 7-6 6-3 CH DALLAS- turnback career point for Bogey

fsoica
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Completely wrong. Rafa played short most of the time, but had no opposition...
The highest quality of clay tennis was the Rome final this year...or Rome is clay only when Rafa wins?

fsoica
12-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Has anyone mentioned Federer vs Monaco 6-1 6-2 6-0 yet? highest quality of hardcourt tennis since 1789.

yeah, you are right...and it was mentioned before :)

EddieNero
12-03-2011, 11:29 AM

:haha:

Useless troll this Mugerten fan.