2011: Recap [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2011: Recap

Nole fan
11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
What's your take on 2011?

I like Pete Bodo's take on it. I wouldn't say it was the best season ever, historically, but it's pretty close. :yeah:

The Perfect Year?
by Pete Bodo (http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2011/11/the-perfect-year.html)

In years to come, pundits and students of the game will be justified in asking, as they look back on 2011, "Was this the greatest year, ever?" A few weeks ago, that question would automatically would have been taken to mean, Did Novak Djokovic have the greatest season of any tennis pro in history? But today it has a much broader, deeper resonance.

Roger Federer won the ATP World Tour Finals yesterday, surviving Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-3. (Read Steve Tignor's Racquet Reaction on the final here.) In the span of just af few weeks, he also transformed the putative Year of Novak into, if not the Year of Federer (not that he hasn't had plenty of those), the year of. . . tennis itself.

Meaning that it might have been the most exciting, unpredictable and competitive year in tennis history. And it was something for which Federer gets most of the credit, and something which he could not have pulled off without the help of three men who until just days ago were, technically speaking, his betters: Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray.

Was this the best year in tennis history? It's a legitimate question. But in order to appreciate the argument you have to set aside your preferences and prejudices. It would take a novelist of the first rank—and one with a healthy streak of perversity—to come up with the narrative that played out in 2011. It would take someone adequately heartless and wickedly clever to so move the human pieces around on the chessboard.

The year was full of surprises of the unsurprising kind. Meaning, the "surprises" were credible—as opposed to shocking or unlikely, which would be the case if, say, Donald Young had won two majors and become No. 1. And after the surprises played out, we were left thinking: How could I have been so stupid, of course it was going to play out like this. The signs were there all along.

And like some great, sprawling, historical novel, this year produced big winners (Djokovic, Federer), aptly rewarded (or punished) minor characters (Murray, Tsonga) and gave us a lovable loser (Nadal). Much as it pains me to say it or for you to read it, this has been one tough year for Rafa. Djokovic struck an enormous blow with those two big wins over Nadal in the Madrid and Rome finals. After that, the Spaniard's admirably frank comments and analyses opened windows on his soul, and mainly revealed that it was a troubled one. But we're already getting way out in front of our story—something easily done if you pick up almost any one of the narrative threads established this year.

At the outset of 2011, it was all about Nadal, who had wrested the No. 1 ranking away from Federer and was clearly in command following year during which he had completed his career Grand Slam and boosted his Grand Slam title collection to nine. Wasn't it just 11 months ago that the buzz was about the likelihood of Nadal surpassing Federer's take of 16 major titles, and about whether or not Rafa was just plain better than Roger—as was suggested by his 14-8 edge in head-to-head meetings?

Tennis was also still mainly about the Federer-Nadal rivalry back in January. Yet by the time they met for the last time this year, in the round-robin portion of the World Tour Finals, it seemed almost like a nostalgia match. That was because nobody had anticipated that Djokovic would emerge as so formidable a force in the game, starting with his win over a Murray in the Australian Open final—a match that, at the time, had about it the whiff of battle of the also-rans. Some shrugged and said it was an interesting respite from what had become a steady diet of Nadal vs. Federer.

Would anyone have dared predict that Djokovic would end the year 10-1 against Federer and Nadal (6-0 against the latter, all in finals)? Yet even as Djokovic tore through the first half of the season, we witnessed a bit of foreshadowing: Federer ended Djokovic's 43-match win streak on the red clay of Roland Garros—a splendid achievement that was very quickly overshadowed by the inevitable loss to Nadal in the French Open final. Call it a terrific example of "misdirection."

As it turned out, to the surprise of many, that French Open final would in one critical way be wasted—Nadal was unable to use it regain his confidence (remember that despite Djokovic's nearly flawless record at that point, both men had won one major after Paris). Nadal's failure against Djokovic a few weeks later at Wimbledon cemented the winner's superiority, even as Federer's unexpected collapse there to Tsonga further diminished his own credibility as a legitimate challenger to the new, Serbian alpha dog.

When Djokovic won the U.S. Open, beating Federer and Nadal in back-to-back matches, the narrative suddenly streamlined. By joining that elite group of men who had won three majors in one year (and with that remarkable 10-1 record over the two icons), Djokovic's drive to complete the greatest year ever became the dominant story—one that lasted all of a week, or until the Serb had to be helped off the court during a Davis Cup loss to Juan Martin del Potro in Belgrade. Djokovic would not play again until the end of October. He didn't win a title after the U.S. Open, and complied a lackluster 6-4 singles record, clearly suffering from injury (back and shoulder) and general fatigue.

At the same time that Djokovic was going cold, Murray was getting hot. He went on a tear (28-3 from mid-August until he pulled out of London last week), but a groin injury ended his year prematurely. As for Nadal, well, he was unable to capitalize on the absence of Djokovic during the Asian tour, or on the No. 1's vulnerability when he did return for the last three events of the year. Nadal looked nothing like his former self from mid-year on, and any delusions that he would mount a late season charge evaporated early on at the World Tour Finals.

Enter, Federer. And it wasn't like he came in from left field. There were signs aplenty that Federer remained a force to be reckoned with. That's "signs," as in Federer ending Djokovic's winning streak at the French, and coming within one swipe of the racket—twice—before bowing in the U.S. Open semis.

All along, Federer shrugged and conceded that Djokovic had been playing great tennis, and the former No. 1 always knew and sometimes hinted that the question left hanging was, "How long can it last?" And in that regard, Federer showed admirable patience and confidence; he may not have been roughed up by Djokovic as badly as Nadal, but he was just plain cooler and smarter. His experience and maturity, at age 30, certainly helped. And it didn't hurt that Djokovic had unnerved Nadal; that, combined with Novak's assorted ills, provided realistic hope.

Federer kept his own counsel and quietly laid his plans. His hiatus from the tour after Djokovic's massive win in New York allowed Murray to leapfrog the Swiss in the rankings, an event that at the time seemed to add further impetus to the theory that Federer is slipping. But any notion that he was, like Nadal, just treading water until the end of the year was blown away when he emerged during the indoor stretch in terrific form. He won 16 consecutive matches after his loss to Djokovic in New York, and rolled into London for the World Tour Fina;s confident, dialed-in, and rested. Federer hammered Nadal, 6-3, 6-0, in their round-robin encounter. It was a fitting comment on the state of each man's game, and mind.

There was one more delicious twist in the plot of 2011: Federer had to play Tsonga in the final match of the World Tour Finals, and Tsonga is the player who had inflicted perhaps the most damage on Federer—and his reputation—this year. That was back at Wimbledon, where Tsonga recovered from a two-set deficit to stun Federer and knock him out of the quarterfinals. It looked for a while yesterday like Federer would win going away, but the year got what it deserved when Tsonga survived a match point in the second-set tie tiebreaker and extended the match to a decider.

Hats off to Novak Djokovic, the three-Slam man of 2011. Condolences to Rafael Nadal, blind-sided and seemingly still in a state of shock. Kudos to Andy Murray, for his resurrection from a dismal start to the year. But raise your glass to Roger Federer, the last man standing in 2011.

Sophocles
11-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Um, how many great matches were there?

Sapeod
11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
The end of the season was the only good part of this awful year.

Sofonda Cox
11-28-2011, 05:46 PM
The end of the season was the only good part of this awful year.

So true, I almost came when Ferrer dealt it to Murray in WTF.

sexybeast
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Fun dramatic novel Peter Bodo got going there. It certanly has been a good year, I would say a great year but many fans and nostalgics wont ever admit such a thing because they are too biased to even see beyond their own predetermined notions about what is good tennis or who should dominate a good tennis year.

Super Djoker
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
As a overall tennis fan I enjoyed it! Would u really of enjoyed it more if Federer and Nadal just dominated like normal? Gimmie a break! This year has seem Murray show consitancy like never before! Djokovic having the most successful individual season for Masters titles and grand Slams Ever! Everyone thought Nadal would dominate and he ended ip with a megar 3 titles (a French Open win as Standard for Rafa) all on his favorate Surface! Not one hard court or grass title! No,one could have predicted that! Soderling was a let down!

sexybeast
11-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Um, how many great matches were there?

Federer-Djokovicx3, Federer-Tsonga in Wimbledon, Nadal-Djokovic in Usopen, Federer-Tsonga in WTF final, Tsonga-Djokovic in Wimbledon.

Some lesser events had great matches aswell, in Queens we had a good final, I enjoyed the Miami final, surprisingly I thought Murray-Nadal in MC and Murray-Djokovic in Rome were really amazing, Federer-Gasquet in Rome was alot of fun, I really cant remember all good matches I have seen this year but I enjoyed some good tennis this year compared to last year.

jonathancrane
11-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Better than 2010 definitely but not an all time great

Nole fan
11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Federer-Djokovicx3, Federer-Tsonga in Wimbledon, Nadal-Djokovic in Usopen, Federer-Tsonga in WTF final, Tsonga-Djokovic in Wimbledon.

Some lesser events had great matches aswell, in Queens we had a good final, I enjoyed the Miami final, surprisingly I thought Murray-Nadal in MC and Murray-Djokovic in Rome were really amazing, Federer-Gasquet in Rome was alot of fun, I really cant remember all good matches I have seen this year but I enjoyed some good tennis this year compared to last year.

Murray-Djokovic in Rome was probably the best match this year. All three matches between Nole and Federer (except Dubai which was a demolition) were very tight and exciting with great shotmaking. Also the US Open final was absolutely thrilling with some of the best shotmaking and fight I've seen in a very long time. And many others...

sexybeast
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Better than 2010 definitely but not an all time great

If we are talking twist and turns I cant quite remember a season with so many of them, 2009 was one good year and so was 2007 but I think 2011 was even more eventful.

Maybe 94-95 had this great drama where severals greats were competing and you didnt quite know who had was in the lead until the end in Usopen.

sexybeast
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Murray-Djokovic in Rome was probably the best match this year. All three matches between Nole and Federer (except Dubai which was a demolition) were very tight and exciting with great shotmaking. Also the US Open final was absolutely thrilling with some of the best shotmaking and fight I've seen in a very long time. And many others...

Yeah, too bad Murray didnt deliver in Grand slams. Australian Open final sucked and so did his 3 SFs against Nadal. Tsonga did better against the big 3. Oh yeah and the Wimbledon final was horrible (but still better than last year's disaster). Other than those bad moments it was a great year.

r3d_d3v1l_
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
2009 was so much better than this crappy 2011..

Sapeod
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
So true, I almost came when Ferrer dealt it to Murray in WTF.
You almost came to an injury? That's a little sick.

Super Djoker
11-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Murray getting downed in straights to Nole at the Aussie Open was The First Highlight!( £80 won at the bookies on that was a big plus too! )Lol! Djokovic beating Rafa on Clay! Murray,s 4 match losing Run! Wimbledon Final was great , good to see Nole win a Decent final aswell! And of course that epic US Open win! Coming back from 2 sets down to beat Fed at the US Open was Incredibal! Not to mention match point at The US Open Final, probably the most comprehensive match point of the year !

tennizen
11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
It was a most dramatic year. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

BigJohn
11-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Federer saved tennis at RG and again at the end of the year by setting a great example for the kids.

I hope young tennis players will look at this year and think "I can be very good for very long if I play like Federer, or I can be a flash in the pan at the very top of the game if I go the Nalad/Nole way."

2011 is the validation that the way Federer plays tennis is the desirable brand of tennis.

Sapeod
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Federer and Murray were the only good things about this year.

Super Djoker
11-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Federer saved tennis at RG and again at the end of the year by setting a great example for the kids.

I hope young tennis players will look at this year and think "I can be very good for very long if I play like Federer, or I can be a flash in the pan at the very top of the game if I go the Nalad/Nole way."

2011 is the validation that the way Federer plays tennis is the desirable brand of tennis.

Everyone,s Different ! I hardly call 6 French Open,s and 2 Wimbledon,s a Flash in the Pan! Far from it! Djokovic actually plays some good tennis! That,s y I like him! He won,t be a flash in the pan !

BigJohn
11-28-2011, 06:18 PM
At the very top = #1 ranking... :rolleyes:

bokehlicious
11-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Will Nole fan create a thread for every essay from Bozo, as long as it praises Faker?

Sofonda Cox
11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
You almost came to an injury? That's a little sick.

:lick:

Sapeod
11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Get out.

Sofonda Cox
11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
It's a totally boring year when a player with a very predictable and BORING game is allowed by the other better players to win 3 slams. Absolutely disgusting. Can't wait for next year when a certain player loses all his points :wavey:

Sofonda Cox
11-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Get out.

I enjoyed Murrays failing, and it was AMAZE when he withdrew

Super Djoker
11-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Nole will undoubtedly lose some points next Year but I am sure he will stay at the top! It,s only rafa and fed he needs to worry about! Murray simply cannot challenge for Slams 3 Finals 0 Sets! Says all you need to know!

superganon
11-28-2011, 06:37 PM
as a pure soderling fan. this year sucked. no semifinals ain GS or big results...except rotterdam witch is ok win.

tennis wise i think 2010 was crap. del potro out and davydenko. 2009 was the best year i have followed (note i have only followed 3 years :P)

but this year was abit boring. the top 4 delivered and the rest didnt stand a chance like 2009 and 2010. all top 4 had there own peak this season aswell. nole spaning to USO ofc. nadal did ok year and won RG. Federer had his top game in basel, bercy and WTF. Murray had his best game in asia winning 3 in a row aswell.

but the lack of competition this year is scary. we want "upsets"! its the charm of the game for me. tho dont keep it regullary like WTA....

i miss soderling, davydenko, del potro, nalbandian, blake, roddick and Gonzalez fighting against the top guys. plz make my wishes for 2012 come true <3

Nole fan
11-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Can all the disgusting trolls leave this thread please? Only a decent discussion about tennis is permited. Go play somewhere else kids.

Gagsquet
11-28-2011, 07:28 PM
:lol: Nole fan relax.

shiaben
11-28-2011, 07:28 PM

I don't get why you have such a grudge against Djokovic? (or Nadal)

Djokovic plays one of the most attractive forms of tennis out there.

You can argue his game is even more attractive than Federer sometimes since Federer's one hander tends to make tons of UE when he's off.

Djokovic also won a WTF, and Nadal came close the previous year. So I don't see your point at all.

sexybeast
11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
MTF discussion:

Nole tard:2011 was the greatest year of all time.
Nadal tard:2011 was a joke, 2008 was clearly the best year
Federer tard:No way! Real tennis was played in 2004 before boring defensive baseliners ruined the game.
Nostalgitards:Tennis died long before the 2000s, we just watch tennis now to complain how onedimensional tennis has become.
Murray fans:Best tennis will be 2013 when Murray will peak and win the calendar slam.

So it goes on and on in circles.

Roadmap
11-28-2011, 07:32 PM
The fact that Roland Garros introduced lighter balls and Wimbledon didn't was the biggest joke of the year. Surely it should have been the other way round? :rolleyes: Pissed off with the over painted Flushing Meadows surface but to be fair they had a good reason what with the anticipated weather conditions of the time. Lets hope we see a proper US Open next year :)

Roadmap
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Federer versus Djokovic at roland Garros was sublime and the final could have been if Fed's set point (first set) dropshot had landed in instead of a millimetre out. Murray v Ljubicic at Wimbledon and the drama it provided for will remain in my memories as well.

noddzy
11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
For me, this was one of the best and most interesting years in tennis. Novak played at an insane level for the better half of the year, and the Fed-Djoker matches were of such high quality and fantastic shot-making combined with healthy/unhealthy support from fans of either player. The Fed-Djoker RG match will probably be etched in my memory for years to come :)

shiaben
11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Highlights for me:

Tsonga upsetting Federer in 5 sets (IMHO the best 5 setter for me). (First surprise of the year as well).
Federer defeating Djokovic at Roland Garros. This was a special matchup in my opinion. Djokovic could hurt Federer's game on any fast surface. So I thought Federer's greatest chances if any would be if he played Djokovic on a surface where he has plenty of time to retrieve Djokovic's powerful forehands and I guess that was enough for him to surive this hard fought match.
Djokovic defeating Federer at the U.S. Open. This match was different from Australia. Djokovic dictated and outplayed Federer in Australia from set 1 to set 3. It wasn't even a competition. Part of the reason was his serve was vulnerable and his backhand was very poor. Then during the U.S Open he improves these games to give himself a chance, but in sets 3 and 4, we witness something new :). Federer's endurance/stamina was suspect. In sets 3 and 4 he totally lost his energy/breath (something unheard of before).

DrJules
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
What's your take on 2011?

I like Pete Bodo's take on it. I wouldn't say it was the best season ever, historically, but it's pretty close. :yeah:

Fully agree with that view.

Sofonda Cox
11-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Can all the disgusting trolls leave this thread please? Only a decent discussion about tennis is permited. Go play somewhere else kids.

:spit: Quality post from MTFs biggest troll.

BigJohn
11-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I don't get why you have such a grudge against Djokovic? (or Nadal)

Djokovic plays one of the most attractive forms of tennis out there.

You can argue his game is even more attractive than Federer sometimes since Federer's one hander tends to make tons of UE when he's off.

Djokovic also won a WTF, and Nadal came close the previous year. So I don't see your point at all.

Perhaps you should try harder.

Think about Federer's style of play and his longevity.

Now think about Nole and Rafa's styles of play and how long they were able to sustain Federer's level.

Now meditate.

BigJohn
11-28-2011, 10:59 PM

Hum... If that was true, then this thread would never have been created in the first place since it was started by a disgusting troll unable to have a decent discussion about tennis.

Posting This or every article praising Nole followed by a clever I agree does not constitute decent discussions about tennis.

Sophocles
11-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with these, but the only one worthy to be compared to the last truly great match I've seen - Nadal-Verdasco at the 2009 A.O. - was Federer-Djoker at R.G. It was a good season though and vastly better than 2010.

GOAT = Fed
11-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Don't really think this was a season as great as it is hyped.

Novak having a good season =/= it was a good season overall.

Obviously it was not bad by all means, just another ATP world tour season, with the only difference being that one person dominated the first half :shrug:

zlaja777
11-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Simply fantastic year. Great article too.

I can't see around 70% or posts in this thread due to my ignore list :lol:..very sad for a thread where people should come to give their respect for what he's done this year.

Topspindoctor
11-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Peter Bozo is a huge clown tbh. He should be serving complimentary smoothies at Mickey D's rather than write tennis articles.

MIMIC
11-29-2011, 12:22 AM
2011 was fun. Watching the top 4 guys be the only contenders for slams (and Djoker coming out on top) was great. Total domination.

tektonac
11-29-2011, 12:32 AM

have anyone specific on you mind ;)

Henry Chinaski
11-29-2011, 01:08 AM
It wasn't a great year and for a number of reasons:

1. One of the biggest warriors in sports history turned into a helpless pussy when confronted with an improved rival

2. The man who occupied the position as fourth best in the world for the early part of the year got sick and missed the whole post-Wimbledon hardcourt swing

3. The other man who occupied the position as fourth best player in the world in the early part of the season capitulated embarrassingly (I mean embarrassingly) at the back end of slams showing serious signs of regression on previous years

4. Juan Martin Del Potro rose solidly but despite playing almost a full season he mostly looked nowhere near competing with the big boys again

5. Nikolay Davydenko an exciting player capable of mixing it with the big boys, vanished

6. The next generation did pretty much nothing in the big events apart from Tomic's run at Wimbledon. Dimitrov was a massive disappointment, Raonic got injured after showing promise, Nishikori didn't get going til the last few months and Dolgopolov flattered to deceive after a strong start

7. The final months of the season were a joke with a bunch of burnt out, injured pussies pissing and moaning about injuries and the length of the season.

8. The most homogenous slam conditions of all time with the fast balls at Roland Garros and the accidentally coarse slow surface at Flushing Meadows.

9. Paris, the event so beloved of fans in 2010, predictably slowed down to sub-ass speeds in 2011

10. Retirement/decline of legends and cult heroes such as Hrbaty, Koubek, Gonzo, Haas and of course King Oscar

Peter Bodo can go fuck himself.

Henry Chinaski
11-29-2011, 01:10 AM
Oh, and 11, watch Spain cap the season by picking up another Davis Cup on a joke quicksand surface after another fluke Mickey Mouse draw (semi-finals and final at home)

Corey Feldman
11-29-2011, 02:48 AM
woman's recap

http://25.imagebam.com/download/uB1bxungDZ8C_iSXb2BNgA/16153/161526105/a79d74036c4c.gif

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
11-29-2011, 04:05 AM
better than 2010

but not even best year this millenium

budge's 38
lavers 67 and 69
rosewalls 63
federers 04 06 07

all better imo

RafaNadal2012!!!
11-29-2011, 04:08 AM
French Open and WTF were good, that's about it

Shinoj
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
2011 has been one of the Best ever in recent times. To be honest after Nadal started dominating Federer, Tennis was :zzz::zzz::zzz:.... Nadal used to exploit Federer by hitting moonballs left right and centre and Federer didnt have an answer to Nadal. It was pathetic really to see a GOAT being tormented by one way of Gamesmanship.

On comes Djokovic, he was Super Fit,Super charged, Killed Nadals Moonballs time after time. Went on a streak unheard of during ones lifetime. And what more he showed many more that Nadal could be destroyed. And it was promptly picked up Murray and then later Federer.

On the Flipside. The Depth of the Mens Tennis sucks beyond 5 0r 6.

Sophocles
11-29-2011, 10:30 AM

1. One of the biggest warriors in sports history turned into a helpless pussy when confronted with an improved rival

2. The man who occupied the position as fourth best in the world for the early part of the year got sick and missed the whole post-Wimbledon hardcourt swing

3. The other man who occupied the position as fourth best player in the world in the early part of the season capitulated embarrassingly (I mean embarrassingly) at the back end of slams showing serious signs of regression on previous years

4. Juan Martin Del Potro rose solidly but despite playing almost a full season he mostly looked nowhere near competing with the big boys again

5. Nikolay Davydenko an exciting player capable of mixing it with the big boys, vanished

6. The next generation did pretty much nothing in the big events apart from Tomic's run at Wimbledon. Dimitrov was a massive disappointment, Raonic got injured after showing promise, Nishikori didn't get going til the last few months and Dolgopolov flattered to deceive after a strong start

7. The final months of the season were a joke with a bunch of burnt out, injured pussies pissing and moaning about injuries and the length of the season.

8. The most homogenous slam conditions of all time with the fast balls at Roland Garros and the accidentally coarse slow surface at Flushing Meadows.

9. Paris, the event so beloved of fans in 2010, predictably slowed down to sub-ass speeds in 2011

10. Retirement/decline of legends and cult heroes such as Hrbaty, Koubek, Gonzo, Haas and of course King Oscar

Well, yeah. But at least we didn't have to see Nadal dominating the tour by moonballing to everybody's backhand.

Henry Chinaski
11-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Incredibly weak article by the way. Can't see a single strong argument for 2011 being a GOAT year apart from ehhhh, Djokokvic was awesome, which we didn't expect

Action Jackson
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Bodo, well enough said.

Djokovic had a fantastic year, deserved all his success and that's it.

fast_clay
11-29-2011, 12:03 PM

:worship::bowdown::bowdown:

Shinoj
11-29-2011, 12:11 PM
For me the highlight was Djokovic single handedly saving Tennis by Taking out Nadal.. Another year like 2010 and i would have said goodbye forever to Tennis and watched Mountain Biking on ESPN for the rest of my life.

Beat
11-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Meaning that it might have been the most exciting, unpredictable and competitive year in tennis history.

how was it "unpredictable" and "competitive" if djokovic won everything in sight? :bs:

atennisfan
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
MTF discussion:

Nole tard:2011 was the greatest year of all time.
Nadal tard:2011 was a joke, 2008 was clearly the best year
Federer tard:No way! Real tennis was played in 2004 before boring defensive baseliners ruined the game.
Nostalgitards:Tennis died long before the 2000s, we just watch tennis now to complain how onedimensional tennis has become.
Murray fans:Best tennis will be 2013 when Murray will peak and win the calendar slam.

So it goes on and on in circles.

and Samprastard..?

sexybeast
11-29-2011, 02:30 PM
and Samprastard..?

Watch nostalgiatard.

Fiberlight1
11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Federer and Murray were the only good things about this year.

http://meriwoker.dyndns.org/~crimson/orly.jpg

emotion
11-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Bad year, being better than 2010 is like saying George Bush was a good leader because he was less destructive than Hitler- 2010 was TERRIBLE

incognito
11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
how was it "unpredictable" and "competitive" if djokovic won everything in sight? :bs:
Because everyone, while surprised, thought that his win streak was a mere flash in the pan so most people expected him to faulter somewhere along the way and retreat back to "normal" #3 level. Many thought that moment had come after his RG SF defeat, but he surprised everyone again by bouncing back even stronger. And, yes, many of his big matches were competitive despite his dominance.

TMJordan
11-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Worst year ever.

BigJohn
11-29-2011, 11:32 PM
What a year. Nole became relevant, but his achievements are dwarfed by Nole spam becoming a widely recognized megatard.

Shinoj
11-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Lot better than 2010. that year was terrible.