Santiago Giraldo will be top 20 next season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Santiago Giraldo will be top 20 next season

Luinir
11-28-2011, 04:29 PM
he's very talented player. pushed hard nadal in tokyo this year on hard, great player on clay. he just needs to be better in hard courts, also needs to get better as mental. his game is phenemonal. he is not old, just 24 years old. i think he will be top 20 next season and will get his first atp title for sure. what do you think about santi in 2012? vamos.

ossie
11-28-2011, 05:04 PM
i'll take haase over giraldo, much better mug

Saberq
11-28-2011, 05:06 PM
who?

Luinir
11-28-2011, 05:08 PM
also looking forward for fed-santi match-up on clay. he can take his uso revenge.

KaiserT
11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
I like Giraldo.... he needs to find better consistent level on serve though, his serving speeds really fluctuate wildly.

Gillouthe best
11-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Giraldo is not Top-20 material, between #25 and #35 if he is lucky. However, he should get an ATP title in Chile or Brasil.

Gagsquet
11-28-2011, 05:27 PM
What's the name of your mental institution?

RonaldGomez
11-28-2011, 05:36 PM
phenomenal ? either you're not objective either you don't speak english very well ;D

Luinir
11-28-2011, 05:38 PM
just typing issue, nevermind.

RonaldGomez
11-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Seriously, I think you overrate him too much. He hasn't a real weapon in his game imo. Also he's very unstable mentally. He's a solid top 60 player, nothing more imo.

Mountaindewslave
11-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Giraldo is not bad but as other's have stated, he has no true weapon and I can't see him better than a top 30 player unless something changes dramatically in his game

r3d_d3v1l_
11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
He can generate incredible power with his forehand but he lacks everything rest. If he finds consistency and a good serve, he might reach top30.

Gagsquet
11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Whatever you do luinir, buddyholly is no match for you :hug:

Filo V.
11-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Maybe, he improved this year, further improvements could get him there. Needs to be better off clay in general to do it.

Filo V.
11-28-2011, 07:39 PM
To say he lacks a weapon is incredibly incorrect. His first serve, and both FH and BH are, at times, major weapons for any player to deal with. His issues are consistency, variety and defense, not lack of weapons.

Andre♥
11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me one bit.

He's capable of playing regularly at the same level for a whole season and he can play at least decently on every surface.

If he's capable of improving one bit on some areas, I believe he has a chance of actually making the top 20. Potentially worse players than him have made it...

Intheshadows
11-29-2011, 05:27 AM
I actually like him better on hard court. At indoor tournaments he has had some shockers but I think his clay stats are heavily padded with South American tournament results.

VolandriFan
11-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Top 30 I think.

Watch the first two points and tell me he has no weapon.
FEBQzJQqcfU

Arkulari
11-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Santi does have weapons, thing is he makes Gulbis look like a genius, has no tennis brain and loses focus really often.

TMJordan
11-29-2011, 07:11 AM
He's definatly better than Robredo ever was. I'll tell you that.

Arkulari
11-29-2011, 07:36 AM
He's definatly better than Robredo ever was. I'll tell you that.

Talent wise yes, but he lacks mental fortitude and tactical discipline.

Mountaindewslave
11-29-2011, 07:40 AM
To say he lacks a weapon is incredibly incorrect. His first serve, and both FH and BH are, at times, major weapons for any player to deal with. His issues are consistency, variety and defense, not lack of weapons.

that's just not true. have you watched many of his matches? when on the attack (even when he is NOT missing) Giraldo just does not have much penetration to his shots or a particular strong wing to go to, or shot to play. it's just not there, despite what you are saying

Mountaindewslave
11-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Top 30 I think.

Watch the first two points and tell me he has no weapon.
FEBQzJQqcfU

haha a few good shots here and there do not mean you have a 'weapon' in tennis. a weapon in tennis would be a powerful shot or great angle that you can go to time and time again. he does not have that. any player in the top 200 can hit a few good shots here and there but that is not enough to make a case.

ironically I think you are all are getting completely backwards. it is not that he is inconsistant as much as that his game is rather limited so rather than him going up and down, how he looks depends on the opponent and how they are doing on that day. I would love someone to point out a match in which Giraldo played outstanding or repeatedly used the same 'weapon' to dismantle his opponent. I don't recall it really happening in any matches he's had with higher ranked opponents.

I think he has game but to state that he is 'extremely' talented or to have high expectations for him is more hopeful than realistic

VolandriFan
11-29-2011, 10:40 AM
haha a few good shots here and there do not mean you have a 'weapon' in tennis. a weapon in tennis would be a powerful shot or great angle that you can go to time and time again. he does not have that. any player in the top 200 can hit a few good shots here and there but that is not enough to make a case.

ironically I think you are all are getting completely backwards. it is not that he is inconsistant as much as that his game is rather limited so rather than him going up and down, how he looks depends on the opponent and how they are doing on that day. I would love someone to point out a match in which Giraldo played outstanding or repeatedly used the same 'weapon' to dismantle his opponent. I don't recall it really happening in any matches he's had with higher ranked opponents.

I think he has game but to state that he is 'extremely' talented or to have high expectations for him is more hopeful than realistic

I provided an example to back up my opinion. Giraldo hitting big forehands is not the exception in this case, it's quite common for him in fact. In the highlights reel I posted, there are several instances of him blasting forehand winners from behind the baseline against one of the game's best defenders. His first strike is of a very high quality.

On the contrary, I think that Filo V and Arkulari have it right here. Giraldo's limitations do not stem from a lack of firepower, rather from inconsistent serving, an attackable second delivery and occasionally poor tactical play, especially in defense. But you are right in saying he hasn't had a real breakthrough result yet. I'm confident that will come in time.