Tsonga won't win a Grand Slam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tsonga won't win a Grand Slam

yuri27
11-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Forget about it.
The guy has the right mentality,the right serve,the right FH,the right net game to win a GS BUT sadly for him, he is way too weak comparing to the top 4 players at two important eras in modern tennis: BH and especially movement.

Imagine if by any chance for Tsonga, we have a GS final beetween Tsonga and the weakest member of top 4 (Murray): despite the fact Tsonga has the better mentality,is probably stronger mentally and has the "right" way to win Grand Slams (playing offensive tennis), he would still lose to Murray because of the two points mentionned higher in the post.

Mongoose
11-27-2011, 10:50 PM
:lol:

:stupid:

sexybeast
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I would love to see him win Wimbledon, he has the game to win that tournament.

Ozone
11-27-2011, 10:51 PM
:facepalm:

yuri27
11-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I would love to see him win Wimbledon, he has the game to win that tournament.

Not with Djoker,Nadal and yes,even Murray around.
His weak movement and BH will always get exposed by at least those 3 players.
A shame because i think he has all the other attributes of a GS winner.
If it was 90's grass, then i would have said yes though.

DrJules
11-27-2011, 10:54 PM
Forget about it.
The guy has the right mentality,the right serve,the right FH,the right net game to win a GS BUT sadly for him, he is way too weak comparing to the top 4 players at two important eras in modern tennis: BH and especially movement.

Imagine if by any chance for Tsonga, we have a GS final beetween Tsonga and the weakest member of top 4 (Murray): despite the fact Tsonga has the better mentality,is probably stronger mentally and the "right" way to win Grand Slams (playing offensive tennis), he would still lose to Murray because of the two points mentionned higher in the post.

A little improvement in those 2 areas would be sufficient. Wimbledon 2011 he was not far off.

rocketassist
11-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Courts are too slow.

yuri27
11-27-2011, 10:56 PM
A little improvement in those 2 areas would be sufficient. Wimbledon 2011 he was not far off.

I actually think he was very far.
I thought Djoker was completely dominant in that 1/2 final (Tsonga was in danger in almost all of his serve games) and Tsonga can almost only thank his serve for having made this 1/2 final somewhat respectable in term of scoreline.

DrJules
11-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Djoker was completely dominant in that 1/2 final and he can almost only thank his serve for having made this 1/2 final somewhat respectable in term of scoreline.

Tsonga served for the first set in the Wimbledon semi-final.

v-money
11-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I agree with you for the most part, but he could do it with some luck an easy draw at Wimbledon. I can see him winning Wimbledon if he was matched up against Murray in the final, for example. Sure, a Non-top 3 player vs. Tsonga final is not likely but you never know.

rocketassist
11-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I thought Djoker was completely dominant in that 1/2 final (Tsonga was in danger in almost all of his serve games) and Tsonga can almost only thank his serve for having made this 1/2 final somewhat respectable in term of scoreline.

That was a poor loss. Slower grass or not, that was a match he should have won on that surface.

SetSampras
11-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Courts are too slow.

Even if the courts are fast, look at him.. He still can't even beat a 30 year old Roger.

Tsonga won't win anything period. Poor conditioning, shit movement, questionable mental toughness etc.

SetSampras
Its got nothing to do with the top 4 and EVERYTHING to do with Tsonga.

rocketassist
Even if the courts are fast, look at him.. He still can't even beat a 30 year old Roger.

Tsonga won't win anything period. Poor conditioning, shit movement etc.

Different match-up and the WTF court isn't fast despite the way it panned out.

Shirogane
11-27-2011, 11:06 PM
The O2 court wasn't fast.

yuri27
And i've excluded Federer which is a mistake as the old master can still bring it on, especially at Wimbledon.
So another obstacle for Tsonga at Wimbledon in the years to come.

RonaldGomez
San Marino won't win the Football World Cup.

samanosuke
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM
no shit

NID
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Too harsh. A red-hot Tsonga, unlike the 'always-solid' Ferrer can certainly win a slam. He does need the stars to align a bit, but it is not a tall order to see him contesting a GS final again.

yuri27
11-27-2011, 11:08 PM

You seriously think he wouldn't have won a Slam during the 90's??
Hell, even a guy like Krajicek won a Wimbledon (who was a very good player but nothing comparable to Djoker,Nadal or even 30 year old Roger) and he did that by beating the awesome Malewai Washington.

JurajCrane
11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
I think Tsonga has a very decent chance in Australia. The courts fit to him and do not forget he has made a final here already.

Just continue to keeping it up, because he has an superb end of the season (Paris F, London F). He may not be capable being superb for whole year, but for one big tournament - I said Yes very loudly. :)

SetSampras
11-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Hell, even a guy like Krajicek won a Wimbledon (who was a very good player but nothing comparable to Djoker,Nadal or even 30 year old Roger) and he did that by beating the awesome Malewai Washington.

Like what exactly? Krajciek was 100 times deadlier in 96 at wimbledon then Tsonga has EVER been. Maybe he could grab an australian open title. I dunno. And Nole and Rafa were physical comatose this year at the WTF. MOST GUYS guys could have beaten them. They didn't even want to be there.

NID
11-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I think Tsonga has a very decent chance in Australia. The courts fit to him and do not forget he has made a final here already.

Just continue to keeping it up, because he has an superb end of the season (Paris F, London F). He may not be capable being superb for whole year, but for one big tournament - I said Yes very loudly. :)

exactly

rocketassist
11-27-2011, 11:18 PM

Nadal and Djoker wouldn't get anywhere near a Wimbledon title in the 90s.

yuri27
11-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Like what exactly? Krajciek was 100 times deadlier in 96 at wimbledon then Tsonga has EVER been. Maybe he could grab an australian open title. I dunno. And Nole and Rafa were physical comatose this year at the WTF. MOST GUYS guys could have beaten them. They didn't even want to be there.

Just because he beat once at Wimbledon your loveboy,that doesn't mean he was as awesome as you claim he was, especially as we all know that Sampras used to lose to MM players far more often than the current top players.

SetSampras
11-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Just because he beat once at Wimbledon your loveboy,that doesn't mean he was as awesome as you claim he was, especially as we all know that Sampras used to lose to MM players far more often than the current top players.

No he ran through everyone and put on one of the most dominant grass performances in history. Did you watch the tournament? Probably not:rolleyes:

rocketassist
11-27-2011, 11:21 PM

One thing I will say is lesser players back then and even early 00s are much more mentally strong than today's also rans.

You know the likes of Falla, Andujar, Tipsarevic, Troicki, Bolelli, Dolgopolov etc will choke serving for sets/matches against the top 4 without said top 4 guy doing anything in his return game.

yuri27
11-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Nadal and Djoker wouldn't get anywhere near a Wimbledon title in the 90s.

Honestly, if even a guy like Malewai Washington managed to make a Wimbledon final during the 90's, i don't see why a guy like Djoker for example wouldn't have been able to do at least the same.
Guys like Nadal and Djoker would have had harder times to breaks big servers during the 90's but that's about it.

yuri27
11-27-2011, 11:23 PM
No he ran through everyone and put on one of the most dominant grass performances in history. Did you watch the tournament? Probably not:rolleyes:

Yes, i watched it.
He served awesomely, no doubt about that.

SetSampras
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
I think if anyone bets on next year being Tsonga's year, they're either not paying attention, or their definition of it being his 'year' is that he blazes a trail to a single (unsuccessful) slam final.

StevoTG
11-27-2011, 11:28 PM
He has as good a shot as anyone outside of the top 4. Tsonga is always a threat. I wouldn't be surprised if he won one or if he won none.

He did well against Federer today considering the surface. A slow but low bouncing surface, which you don't get often at all, suits Federer down to the ground.

Topspindoctor
11-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Forget about it.

Imagine if by any chance for Tsonga, we have a GS final beetween Tsonga and the weakest member of top 4 (Murray): despite the fact Tsonga has the better mentality,is probably stronger mentally and has the "right" way to win Grand Slams (playing offensive tennis), he would still lose to Murray because of the two points mentionned higher in the post.

It's almost impossible to lose to Mugray in a GS final.

~Maya~
11-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Losing a few pounds might be all he needs.

viruzzz
11-28-2011, 01:29 AM
I really think he will.
He can beat anyone of the big 4. Specially Nole.

Saberq
11-28-2011, 01:34 AM
I really think he will.
He can beat anyone of the big 4. Specially Nole.

:haha:

Andresito
11-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Don't count Tsonga out.

I mean, Gaudio has won a GS.

He will have to wait for the perfect time and the perfect moment to win a GS, but opportunities exist.

shiaben
11-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Forget about it.

I agree 110% with your post.

Lets hope though that he can improve his backhand consistency and keep it on the court. When he uses it as a weapon, it can unleash 90 MPH off that wing. His movement is okay, but he slips and falls too much.

I think his main problem other than those two things is mostly inconsistency on big points. Sometimes he capitalizes, sometimes he doesn't.

He's got 2-3 years left on the tank. Lets hope he can take his chances before they're over.

Looner
11-28-2011, 02:33 AM
I think Jo stands a good chance. He's been injured often in his career and has not got the mileage of his peers. I'd rank him together with DelPo (rejuvenated) for a Slam and below the Top4 only just because he'll (potentially) have to face 3 of them.

rocketassist
11-28-2011, 02:47 AM
Honestly, if even a guy like Malewai Washington managed to make a Wimbledon final during the 90's, i don't see why a guy like Djoker for example wouldn't have been able to do at least the same.
Guys like Nadal and Djoker would have had harder times to breaks big servers during the 90's but that's about it.

Even aggressive players' ground shots would fly through their brick wall defences.

tests
11-28-2011, 03:11 AM

Tsonga won't win anything period. Poor conditioning, shit movement, questionable mental toughness etc.

a 30 year old roger is as good or beter than a ton of top tennis players of all time.

Shinoj
11-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Anybody can win a Grand Slam. Even tsonga can. He needs to make his game a little more consistent. At the moment he is trying to rely on his hitting talent alone to win him matches. He plays a BiPolar game to me; He waits for the moment to get into the groove and apart from the time when he is in the groove he is erratic. Hopefully with time, he needs to understand that for him to win tournament he needs to be more consistent throughout and not wait to get into the groove and believe that that alone will win him matches.

All he requires is some tuning which he needs to realise himself or the coaching staff or whoever makes him realise. he needs to be in the game from the point 1.

That goes to berdych too.

Actually thats the difference between Tsonga,Berdych and Nadal. Nadal is always in the game from point 1. he gives his best from the point 1 and what Tsongas and berdych do is that they have a funny beleif that their talent alone will win them matches but it really wont happen because the top players are at you from point 1 and when they finally get into the groove they are too much in a pit to realise that.

Some small mental Tuning and they all are Set. Tsonga,Berdych and co.