ATP basketball team [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP basketball team

mark73
10-26-2011, 05:23 AM
As the manager and head coach your job is to create a basketball team using only atp players.

Which twelve would you pick?
Who would be your starting five?
How would they fare against an elite world class team after a years chance to play together against other teams?

Point guard: Djokovic superb movement
Guard: Nadal/Murray superb movement
Forward: Tsonga capable of doing a 360 dunk
Forward: Monfils capable of doing a 360 dunk
Center: Tall dude with good leaping ability? (maybe isner/querry/karlovic/andersson not sure if these guys can jump)

Not sure about the other 7

Tennis players are different types of athletes in some respects from basketball players so I'm afraid the ATP all star team would at best score 50-150 against a top world class team (e.g NBA team). I think they would be outsized and outpowered.

Have fun with this. :)

mark73
10-26-2011, 05:29 AM
oops I guess I should have put this in GM/off topic
Please move this mods. :)

out_here_grindin
10-26-2011, 05:37 AM
I don't think any ATP created team could hang with an NBA team at all. The ATP players may be athletic but the NBA players have been mastering their basketball skills all their life. Also there is a lack of consistent height in the ATP to compete with the height of NBA players

Ferrer would probably be a good point guard. Quick and elusive. His body movements are more poing guard like than any other player. More of a distributing PG like a Rajan Rondo. Djokovic would be more of a slasher/scoring PG like a John Wall.

Monfils would definitely be on the team somewhere.

The mention of Rondo reminds me of something I thought about some time ago. Dolgopolov and Rondo are very similiar. In terms of creativity and outside of the box thinking. They both also have very live arms which allow them to make a varierty of unexpected moves in their respective sports.

Seingeist
10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
I don't think any ATP created team could hang with an NBA team at all. The ATP players may be athletic but the NBA players have been mastering their basketball skills all their life. Also their is a lack of consistent height in the ATP to compete with the height of NBA players

Ferrer would probably be a good point guard. Quick and elusive. His body movements are more poing guard like than any other player. More of a distributing PG like a Rajan Rondo. Djokovic would be more of a slasher/scoring PG like a John Wall.

Monfils would definitely be on the team somewhere.

The mention of Rondo reminds me of something I thought about some time ago. Dolgopolov and Rondo are very similiar. In terms of creativity and outside of the box thinking. They both also have very live arms which allow them to make a varierty of unexpected moves in their respective sports.

Very good calls, I could totally imagine Ferrer as a point guard.

And I think you're exactly right; even if we put aside the fact that basketballers have the obvious "mastering b-ball skills" advantage, NBA players (at least the forwards and center) tend to have a significant average height advantage on tennis players, and many have more heft as well.

That having been said, it's a fun thought experiment. Del Potro would be a good candidate for power forward. I bet Berdych would make a good forward as well. Decent size and has a good feel with his hands.

Time Violation
10-26-2011, 08:50 AM
PG - Ferrer
SG - Tomic
SF - Monfils
PF - ideally Tsonga/Nadal, but they lack cm
Center - Ivo

Of course, they would lose to any decent high school team, goes without saying. No need to face NBA teams :) basketball is much more physical/contact sport; for example, one of the best PFs last year - Kevin Love, is 208 cm and 120 kg, he would eat any of the tennis players alive, they would need to put some serious weight on to stand a chance :)

abraxas21
10-26-2011, 03:04 PM
all the black dudes get in automatically

i'd probly add guys like isner and karlovic as pivots.

abraxas21
10-26-2011, 03:05 PM
i gotta laugh at the nadal suggestion.

dude would whine like a sissy at the first push he gets.

Time Violation
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
i gotta laugh at the nadal suggestion.

dude would whine like a sissy at the first push he gets.

Well, he has all those muscles, he could use them for something :p

Ivanatis
10-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Ferrer (Dolgopolov)
Djokovic (Nadal)
Monfils (Chela)
Soderling (Del Potro)
Isner (Karlovic)

Hewitt and Haas as fillups (honorable mention to GOAT-PG Santoro)

not a chance against the NBA team though

mark73
10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Of course no chance against an nba team. I put 50-150 after giving thenm a year to practice. Maybe more like 20-200? :lol:

out_here_grindin
10-26-2011, 04:37 PM
o you mean they would lose 150-50. I thought you were saying they would score 50-150 points.

Also Fish could maybe make the team. He played some serious basketball in his youth days

shiaben
10-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Point Guard= Nadal, his fitness is so great you can use him in all 4 quarters.
Shooting Guard= Gael Monfils, he's tall enough for the role, and probably athletic enough to create space and shoot.
Small Forward= Federer, physically strong and quick, fits this role to shoot and drive.
Power Forward= Tsonga, he's a strong guy could get rebounds and dominate the low post.
Center= Isner moves better than Karlovic.

Say Hey Kid
10-29-2011, 09:09 AM
PG - Ferrer
SG- Monfils
SF- Dustin Brown
PF- Del Potro
C- Isner

I'd like to include Jo somewhere, but at 6'2 he is awfully short to be a legit PF, and too bulky to play SF