Bollettieri thinks Murray can't win a GS [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bollettieri thinks Murray can't win a GS

LawrenceOfTennis
10-24-2011, 06:15 PM
It's not like I agree with him 100%, because the guy defo has a chance in the next 2 years with more luck.
The same old story but now a genius coach states it.

A german article: http://www.spox.com/de/sport/mehrsport/tennis/1108/Artikel/nick-bollettieri-interview-us-open-novak-djokovic-roger-federer-rafael-nadal-andy-murray-tommy-haas-sabine-lisicki.html

Sham Kay
10-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Bollettieri should know, all those GS champs his academy produced.

Where's the link to what he said anyway?

Alex999
10-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Sure he can. It will be tough but it's not impossible. I'd like to see the source too.

abraxas21
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Bollettieri is an overrated mug who happens to have coached a few good kids becuase of the massive money he gets.

why people still listen to what he says is anyone's guess.

star
10-24-2011, 06:30 PM
I stopped reading when I got to the part where he says that Rafa doesn’t give 100%; he give 200%. :rolleyes:

He’s such a blowhard. He’s always tooting his own horn and dealing in hyperbole.

MuzzahLovah
10-24-2011, 06:33 PM
What a ****.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I stopped reading when I got to the part where he says that Rafa doesn’t give 100%; he give 200%. :rolleyes:

He’s such a blowhard. He’s always tooting his own horn and dealing in hyperbole.

Yeah I do not agree with him in everything, just an interesting interview.He has some really good points.

jonathancrane
10-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Clownlettieri running out of meds again

Alex999
10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Could any of our German members translate this article. I hate that google translator. Thanks.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Could any of our German members translate this article. I hate that google translator. Thanks.

http://tennisplanet.typepad.com/blog/2011/09/djokovic-is-the-most-complete-player-of-all-time-says-nick-bollettieri.html
I found this poor translation for you and for those who don't speak german.

_Chaz
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM

The interview is a bit long, but I could try to translate the Murray-part.

Nick: "Look, Andy is a great character, similar to my Agassi. But why don't you just take what Boris Becker said about him: "Andy Murray doesn't have a weapon and will never win a GS", these are Boris' words. And I go along with him (not sure if this is the right verb). Murray has improved his forehand and his serve, his footwork is fantastic, he's a great return player, has got a world-class backhand, but in order to win a GS, he would have to play a bit more offensive. The question is if he's got the weapons to win a big thing? I don't think so. Especially not because there are so many other strong guys. It won't be easy for Murray."

Not sure if mine is better than the link Lawrence posted.

Sapeod
10-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Who is this clown? :stupid: Does he not have a single functioning brain cell in his head? Or is he really that stupid? :stupid:

Alex999
10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Thank you Lawrence and Chaz :-)

Lopez
10-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Who is this clown? :stupid: Does he not have a single functioning brain cell in his head? Or is he really that stupid? :stupi:

:rolls:

Don't agree with Bollettieri, I actually think Andy will grab a slam during the next few years. Don't think he'll win a lot more than one though.

Florida
10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Who is this clown? :stupid: Does he not have a single functioning brain cell in his head? Or is he really that stupid? :stupi:

Bollettieri is a old dude that became a prominent tennis coach because some of the old timers (Agassi, Courier, Sampras) spent some time at his academy!!!!!!! He was never a tennis player, just a good business man, running an academy and charging a fortune. In the US they refer to his academy as to Bollitierri machine!!!! I would never take anything he says for real!!!!

As far as Murray is concerned, I know he will win a slam and shut up all the haters around him. 2012 is Murray's year!!!!! You heard it here first.

Sapeod
10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Bollettieri is a old dude that became a prominent tennis coach because some of the old timers (Agassi, Courier, Sampras) spent some time at his academy!!!!!!! He was never a tennis player, just a good business man, running an academy and charging a fortune. In the US they refer to his academy as to Bollitierri machine!!!! I would never take anything he says for real!!!!

As far as Murray is concerned, I know he will win a slam and shut up all the haters around him. 2012 is Murray's year!!!!! You heard it here first.
So, he's some old clown who believes he's always right because he couched some big players. Clown.

Actually, I've been saying 2012 will be Murray's year for the past few months, so no, we haven't heard it here first.

GSMnadal
10-24-2011, 07:26 PM
So, he's some old clown who believes he's always right because he couched some big players. Clown.

Actually, I've been saying 2012 will be Murray's year for the past few months, so no, we haven't heard it here first.

You've booked 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013 as 'Murray's year'

So it's pretty hard for someone to claim 'first' in that department, you sure are right about that. Whether it's something to be proud of when you do get one right one of these years...

Florida
10-24-2011, 07:34 PM

No old , very old clown who still posseses a huge ego....... Even Agassi thought/thinks he is/was a clown!!!!! About Murray, it does not matter who said what and when, I know he will do well in 2012, so I am with you on this one Sapeod!!!!!

Roadmap
10-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Bollettieri has traditionally been quite fond of Murray and has given him plenty of praise. Perhaps this is an anti jinx? :shrug:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
No old , very old clown who still posseses a huge ego....... Even Agassi thought/thinks he is/was a clown!!!!! About Murray, it does not matter who said what and when, I know he will do well in 2012, so I am with you on this one Sapeod!!!!!

In his book he disses Bollettieri first, but later he refers to him as a great mentor and coach.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Bollettieri has traditionally been quite fond of Murray and has given him plenty of praise. Perhaps this is an anti jinx? :shrug:

Yeah that's the interesting part. He's known for his support for Murray, so its pretty surprising to see this.

LoveFifteen
10-24-2011, 08:01 PM
The journalist asked Bollettieri when he thinks Murray will win a Slam. Bollettieri replied "never". I have the exact same opinion as Bollettieri. I could be wrong, but everyone is entitled to have an opinion. There are more than a few people who believe that Murray (and Wozniacki) will never win a Slam. :shrug:

I thought the same thing about Jankovic, Safina, Gasquet, Tsonga, Davydenko, Monfils, Ferrer, Berdych, Soderling, and Azarenka.

I have to admit Sam Stosur really surprised me at the US Open though. :lol:

Chris Kuerten
10-24-2011, 08:02 PM
He is right, but obviously some people who live in their parents' basement know it better.

tennishero
10-24-2011, 08:08 PM
fantastic news. any mention when murray retires?

MuzzahLovah
10-24-2011, 08:09 PM
I wonder if there has been a player to reach the semifinals or better of the all the grandslams in one year and never went on to win a slam.

Saberq
10-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Sapeod asked who is Bollettieri???? hahahahahhahahaha .........greatest tennis coach of all time and one of the best tennis minds of all time ......men who created Agassi and others and he is right Murray wont win a slam...he has no weapons to do it ....

choppaa
10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Sapeod asked who is Bollettieri???? hahahahahhahahaha .........greatest tennis coach of all time and one of the best tennis minds of all time ......men who created Agassi and others and he is right Murray wont win a slam...he has no weapons to do it ....

Umm, actually Mike Agassi is the man most responsible for his success and in lesser way Brad Gilbert who was great adviser/friend/support or "coach" as they say.

NJ88
10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Murray has all the abilit in the world to win a slam at some point, it doesnt exactly mean he will though. He might, he might not. With the decline of Nadal at the moment and with Fed dipping far below his best I'm more inclined to say that he will in the near future, or at least the next year. He has the talent to do it, he just needs to put it together for the right moment in the right match.

janko05
10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
For all I know he praised him once... and now,when Andy is on the rise,comes this switch :confused:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-24-2011, 08:40 PM

wow Sapeod just got a slave

Alex999
10-24-2011, 08:46 PM
He is right, but obviously some people who live in their parents' basement know it better.
you mean Sapeod :angel:?

MuzzahLovah
10-24-2011, 08:49 PM
you mean Sapeod :angel:?

Isn't it normal to live in you parent's house when you are teenager?

Vida
10-24-2011, 08:59 PM
if bollettieri says so...

rocketassist
10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Bollettieri said this is the strongest era ever. That makes him unqualified to comment.

Saberq
10-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Bollettieri said this is the strongest era ever. That makes him unqualified to comment.

everyone agrees that this is the strongest era ever except you Fed fans ...

Roddickominator
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Bollettieri is obviously right. How many Slams has Murray won? How many sets of a Slam final has he won?

His only chance(and it is a very small chance) is if all the players with balls lose before the final, and he is able to take on a player like Monfils or Simon for the title. Otherwise Murray's passive, weakling game will lose to a great and in-form player.

Duncan
10-24-2011, 10:24 PM

Wow. You know absolutely nothing. Thanks for finally letting on :cool:

rocketassist
10-24-2011, 10:46 PM

If such a shit player as Murray is the 4th best guy, it mustn't be THAT strong, must it, unless you're one of those who only bigs him up to defend the era itself....

rocketassist
10-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Bollettieri is obviously right. How many Slams has Murray won? How many sets of a Slam final has he won?

His only chance(and it is a very small chance) is if all the players with balls lose before the final, and he is able to take on a player like Monfils or Simon for the title. Otherwise Murray's passive, weakling game will lose to a great and in-form player.

It's a shame the conditions and court speeds forced Roddick to develop a passive, weakling game isn't it.

Roddickominator
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
It's a shame the conditions and court speeds forced Roddick to develop a passive, weakling game isn't it.

Yes, it's a damned disgrace. At least Roddick had the guts to win a Slam before playing like a pansy though.

Yolita
10-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Same conditions for everybody, and not all have developed a passive weakling game.

Find another scapegoat.

Saberq
10-24-2011, 11:45 PM
If such a shit player as Murray is the 4th best guy, it mustn't be THAT strong, must it, unless you're one of those who only bigs him up to defend the era itself....

Murray is shit mentally not talent wise .....and we have Novak,Rafa and Fed ...that alone makes it the strongest ever...it is harder today to win a Slam than ever before

paseo
10-24-2011, 11:47 PM
he is right Murray wont win a slam...he has no weapons to do it ....

If such a shit player as Murray is the 3rd(fixed) best guy, it mustn't be THAT strong, must it, unless you're one of those who only bigs him up to defend the era itself....

:D

leng jai
10-24-2011, 11:58 PM

His view on Murray can't be any worse than yours.

Ibracadabra
10-24-2011, 11:59 PM
One thing is for sure, murray is a slamless clown.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-25-2011, 12:05 AM
the thread title, thats all i have to say, ive already said why hes not a slam contender YET!
:haha: :haha: :haha:

allpro
10-25-2011, 12:22 AM
prescient :yeah:

Topspindoctor
10-25-2011, 12:25 AM
You don't need to be a tennis expert to realize that Mugray will never win a slam. He's not a champion material.

misty1
10-25-2011, 12:32 AM
I dont agree with what he said but i have to admit every year i go into it thinking he's going to win a slam and then he doesnt and it gets a little harder every year to believe he will

Super Djoker
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM
who believes he's always right because he couched some big players. Clown.

If anyone is the clown here it,s u! If u have never heard of Simon Bollettieri then u don,t know a lot about Tennis! This guy coached Boris Becker! (Six time Grand Slam Champion and Wimbledon Winner at 17! And Andre Agassi! a Eight time grand Slam Winner! I am not saying he s wright but he is highly regarded in the game to anyone that actually has clue what there talkin about so that,s y u havent ever heard of him!!

Super Djoker
10-25-2011, 12:41 AM
You don't need to be a tennis expert to realize that Mugray will never win a slam. He's not a champion material.
Spot on!:yeah:

fast_clay
10-25-2011, 01:19 AM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/patma2003/si4.gif
If anyone is the clown here it,s u! If u have never heard of Simon Bollettieri then u don,t know a lot about Tennis! This guy coached Boris Becker! (Six time Grand Slam Champion and Wimbledon Winner at 17! And Andre Agassi! a Eight time grand Slam Winner! I am not saying he s wright but he is highly regarded in the game to anyone that actually has clue what there talkin about so that,s y u havent ever heard of him!!

Naudio Spanlatine
10-25-2011, 01:22 AM

:superlol: :superlol:

you mean Nick sweetie!;)

Saberq
10-25-2011, 02:12 AM
he meant maybe Simone Bolleli(or however is spelled)......anyway Magician is banned?YAY

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-25-2011, 02:51 AM
Everybody with a brain cell knows Murray can't win a GS.

Mountaindewslave
10-25-2011, 02:55 AM
although I do think that Murray will win at least one GS, probably a few, you have to agree with some points that Bollettieri makes. Murray's weakness is that he has no huge weapon. just returning well and moving fantastically is not exactly enough to win a GS. he should develop stronger groundstrokes, a better serve- SOMETHING. Something extra to knock off a really in form player at the latter stages of a Grand SLam.

Bollettieri is right in that if you even look at Murray's Gran Slam matches in 2011 against Nadal, Nadal was not particularly amazing and Murray played fairly well throughout 2011, yet Murray rather easily was dispatched each time? My point is not praising Nadal or bemoaning Murray, but that Murray does not have that weapon at the moment to take out similarly high level opponents. And by similar I mean Djokovic/Nadal/Federer in GS's. Nadal has the forehand, Djokovic forehand is great too/serve, Federer's serve has been great.

Murray needs to build up a shot to win points quicker and stop being such a counter puncher.

but I do believe he will win some Grand Slams, he just needs to put in a little work for that bit of 'extra'

Saberq
10-25-2011, 03:08 AM
although I do think that Murray will win at least one GS, probably a few, you have to agree with some points that Bollettieri makes. Murray's weakness is that he has no huge weapon. just returning well and moving fantastically is not exactly enough to win a GS. he should develop stronger groundstrokes, a better serve- SOMETHING. Something extra to knock off a really in form player at the latter stages of a Grand SLam.

Bollettieri is right in that if you even look at Murray's Gran Slam matches in 2011 against Nadal, Nadal was not particularly amazing and Murray played fairly well throughout 2011, yet Murray rather easily was dispatched each time? My point is not praising Nadal or bemoaning Murray, but that Murray does not have that weapon at the moment to take out similarly high level opponents. And by similar I mean Djokovic/Nadal/Federer in GS's. Nadal has the forehand, Djokovic forehand is great too/serve, Federer's serve has been great.

Murray needs to build up a shot to win points quicker and stop being such a counter puncher.

but I do believe he will win some Grand Slams, he just needs to put in a little work for that bit of 'extra'

no extra work will teach talent

tektonac
10-25-2011, 03:14 AM
he meant maybe Simone Bolleli(or however is spelled)......anyway Magician is banned?YAY

that's the greatest news ever, that guy was a senior troll.

Saberq
10-25-2011, 03:16 AM

It made my day for sure

rocketassist
10-25-2011, 04:14 AM
'Murray sucks'
'this is the strongest era ever'

OXYMORON!

Alex999
10-25-2011, 04:14 AM
It made my day for sure
Mine too. I was going to offer one of Nole's GS in exchange for his ban :lol:. Kudos to mods :clap2:

leng jai
10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
It made my day for sure

Nice that MTF has such an influence on how your day goes.

rickcastle
10-25-2011, 06:09 AM

So he says it's the strongest era ever but also thinks that the no. 3 ranked player can never win a slam? :stupid:

rickcastle
10-25-2011, 06:17 AM
'Murray sucks'
'this is the strongest era ever'

OXYMORON!

LOL. Exactly. This is only considered by some a strong era because of the presence of two all-time greats and Djokovic who has registered a magnificent season. Subtract one of them from the equation and this era would be laughable. The field isn't deep at all and the top 4 are the only players who matter in slams. Four players do not an era make.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-25-2011, 06:21 AM

REALLY........OH GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:angel:

sapeod should be next:devil::devil::devil:

Topspindoctor
10-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Without Olderer, Nadal and Djoke - we'd have a mug era where clowns like Mugray, Fish could win slams and Monoduck would be dominating :help::tape:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-25-2011, 08:24 AM

The Magician has been a great poster.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Without Olderer, Nadal and Djoke - we'd have a mug era where clowns like Mugray, Fish could win slams and Monoduck would be dominating :help::tape:

It's funny that you still cannot forgive Fish. Old mug but still.....:lol:

jmjhb
10-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Simon Bollettieri is actually Nick's alter ego, the evil one that doesn't think Murray can win a Slam.

Nick still thinks he can.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Simon Bollettieri is actually Nick's alter ego, the evil one that doesn't think Murray can win a Slam.

Nick still thinks he can.

:lol: Not bad. But let's clarify this for Murray fans: They guy has defo supported Murray so far, he even offered he'd coach him in order to win a slam. He's just brutally honest (though most of you can say that you don't have to be an expert to tell the same) and in the media not many experts would say something like this.

echf
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
The Magician has been a great poster.

I really hope you're not serious...

Rodre Fegassi
10-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Murray is shit mentally not talent wise .....and we have Novak,Rafa and Fed ...that alone makes it the strongest ever...it is harder today to win a Slam than ever before

no extra work will teach talent

You really are a mug Saberg.

Giving all of us Murray-bashers a bad name - first you say that Murray doesn't lack talent, then you claim that he does.

Seriously, if you want to hate on Murray, grow a brain first.

Anyway - you guys have heard Murray will never win a slam from a guy (NB) who has never made a false prediction in his life. Case is closed - tough luck Murray.

Time Violation
10-25-2011, 09:18 AM
LOL. Exactly. This is only considered by some a strong era because of the presence of two all-time greats and Djokovic who has registered a magnificent season. Subtract one of them from the equation and this era would be laughable. The field isn't deep at all and the top 4 are the only players who matter in slams. Four players do not an era make.

The point is, you can't subtract them. It cannot be a weak era if in each and every slam you have to go through at least one double-digit slam winner, and often you have to go through two double-digit slam winners/one of which is considered GOAT. More like unbalanced era/top heavy era :)

Clydey
10-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Leatherface has certainly fucking changed his tune.

Chris Kuerten
10-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Booo, The Magician is awesome.

rickcastle
10-25-2011, 09:48 AM
The point is, you can't subtract them. It cannot be a weak era if in each and every slam you have to go through at least one double-digit slam winner, and often you have to go through two double-digit slam winners/one of which is considered GOAT. More like unbalanced era/top heavy era :)

I didn't say it was a weak era. But this is not the strongest era ever (!!!) either because it's only the presence of three players that give it the appearance of being strong - three players do not make an era. There is no depth in the field and hardly ever any chance of a top player upset in the early rounds in slams because of how weak the rest of the field is outside the top 3/4. That's not a strong era.

And people who continually claim this to be a strong era and then continually poke fun at how Murray, the number 3 player, sucks and will never win a slam are being contradictory and ridiculous. If the number 3 player sucks that much in their books, then it's not a strong era by any means.

Dr.Slice
10-25-2011, 10:07 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Time Violation
10-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I didn't say it was a weak era. But this is not the strongest era ever (!!!) either because it's only the presence of three players that give it the appearance of being strong - three players do not make an era. There is no depth in the field and hardly ever any chance of a top player upset in the early rounds in slams because of how weak the rest of the field is outside the top 3/4. That's not a strong era.

And people who continually claim this to be a strong era and then continually poke fun at how Murray, the number 3 player, sucks and will never win a slam are being contradictory and ridiculous. If the number 3 player sucks that much in their books, then it's not a strong era by any means.

Well, certainly not many are going to claim this is strongest era ever. Btw, I don't think it's fair to say that top players don't get upset early solely because of the weak field. I don't think Federer on grass/hard and Nadal on clay would be upset in early rounds in any era. Novak too of course, if he can keep this year's level.

Lurking
10-25-2011, 10:13 AM
:lol: Not bad. But let's clarify this for Murray fans: They guy has defo supported Murray so far, he even offered he'd coach him in order to win a slam. He's just brutally honest (though most of you can say that you don't have to be an expert to tell the same) and in the media not many experts would say something like this.

Thinking Murray will be slamless is hardly out there and like most muppet media analysts the second you see them talking about the rest of the field you realise how groundless there opinions are.

rickcastle
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Well, certainly not many are going to claim this is strongest era ever. Btw, I don't think it's fair to say that top players don't get upset early solely because of the weak field. I don't think Federer on grass/hard and Nadal on clay would be upset in early rounds in any era. Novak too of course, if he can keep this year's level.

Well, a fellow Djokovic fan of yours posted a claim that everyone thinks it's the strongest era ever except for Federer fans so there's that.

It's the circular argument in tennis is if a player always goes far or wins in tournaments - is it because he is simply too strong or is the competition just too weak? Federer detractors (mostly Nadal and Djokovic fans, let's be real) always like to use the latter against Federer with regards to his peak years, so I just took the liberty of applying the same logic here.

Anyway, this year, no one was able to upset any of the top 4 players in any slam before the second week. I guess it's a testament to how good the top 4 is: but with Federer at 30 and not winning a slam for almost 2 years now, Murray not winning a set in a slam final yet, Nadal with 10 years on his knees and seemingly psychologically incapacitated by Djokovic, Djokovic is the only true star player this season. So for me, it's more of a testament of how weak the rest of the field is.

Time Violation
10-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Well, a fellow Djokovic fan of yours posted a claim that everyone thinks it's the strongest era ever except for "Fedtards" so there's that.

Meh... :p

It's the circular argument in tennis is if a player always goes far or wins in tournaments - is it because he is simply too strong or is the competition just too weak? Federer detractors (mostly Nadal and Djokovic fans, let's be real) always like to use the latter against Federer with regards to his peak years, so I just took the liberty of applying the same logic here.

I think it's because a player (in this case Fed) was good. Look at WTA, you have a weak field there and what happens? Maybe one can win 1 or 2 slams because the competition is weak, but not 10 or 15, no way.

Besides, now that Fed didn't win a title this year people (his fans mostly), try to make it look like he's one foot in grave (and conveniently forget he was a massive favorite for AO 2010, only 9 months ago). Rosewall played Wimbledon finals @ 40 yrs old, and many will probably say that was a goat era or something :p

Beat
10-25-2011, 11:40 AM
but now a genius coach states it.

:spit:

nalbyfan
10-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Nick is not the big oracle of tennis, he already said untrue things about a lot of players

LawrenceOfTennis
10-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Nick is not the big oracle of tennis, he already said untrue things about a lot of players

Who hasn't? All these experts have said foolish thangs but you can't deny Bollettieri's achievements.

Saberq
10-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Who hasn't? All these experts have said foolish thangs but you can't deny Bollettieri's achievements.

this ...Nick knows his shit .....

LawrenceOfTennis
10-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Anyway, this year, no one was able to upset any of the top 4 players in any slam before the second week. I guess it's a testament to how good the top 4 is

Um,not really. The fact says a lot more about the rest of the top 10 than the top 4 actually.

LoveFifteen
10-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Thank God that The Magician is banned. :hearts:

But he got banned a while ago, then came back. I hope this is a perma-ban. :scared:

Nole fan
10-25-2011, 09:35 PM
The journalist asked Bollettieri when he thinks Murray will win a Slam. Bollettieri replied "never". I have the exact same opinion as Bollettieri. I could be wrong, but everyone is entitled to have an opinion. There are more than a few people who believe that Murray (and Wozniacki) will never win a Slam. :shrug:

I thought the same thing about Jankovic, Safina, Gasquet, Tsonga, Davydenko, Monfils, Ferrer, Berdych, Soderling, and Azarenka.

I have to admit Sam Stosur really surprised me at the US Open though. :lol:

But that's really a long stretch to say Murray won't ever win a slam. He has been close to winning at least one, though he never rose to the occasion. But he's been close, he's made 3 finals. He just needs to put his head together and become a little bit more offensive, less passive. Easier said than done. Only thing I agree is that time is passing by and youngsters won't wait much longer. Plus you have now 3 pretty strong men who seem almost impossible to top.

I came by these stats that Bodo posted. The dominance of the Top 4 is astonishing. With good reason Murray should be in the conversation.

The Big 4 (http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2011/10/the-big-4-and-the-super-1.html)

Listing the semifinalists in the Grand Slams for the years 2008-2011.

http://blogs.tennis.com/.a/6a00d83451599e69e20153927d270f970b-600wi

(SF 1 and SF 2 don't refer to the order in which the semi finals were played, nor the seedings of the players. They're labels for convenience).

In the past 16 ATP GS semi finals, Federer has appeared 13 times, Nadal 12 times (did not enter Wimbledon 2009), Djokovic 10 times, and Murray 8 times.

The next most successful player (in terms of reaching the SF stage) is Tsonga, who got there 3 times: Del Potro, Soderling, Roddick and Berdych each made the SF stage twice. 10 players made just one appearance (none of these made it to a final in this period, although Safin has two earlier titles and a final to his credit).

DrJules
10-25-2011, 10:12 PM

You are presenting a case that the current era is not as strong as many claim.

Getta
10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
only fools and liars claim the current era is the strongest they've ever seen.

allpro
10-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Thank God that The Magician is banned. :hearts:

But he got banned a while ago, then came back. I hope this is a perma-ban. :scared:

:lol: strategic ban. i railed hard on mugician last year and he went very deep. of course i picked federers_maid to win and this year, one "sapeod" - a "prolifically" unoriginal poster, is worthy of the ACC YEC.

rickcastle
10-26-2011, 05:14 AM
I think it's because a player (in this case Fed) was good. Look at WTA, you have a weak field there and what happens? Maybe one can win 1 or 2 slams because the competition is weak, but not 10 or 15, no way.

Besides, now that Fed didn't win a title this year people (his fans mostly), try to make it look like he's one foot in grave (and conveniently forget he was a massive favorite for AO 2010, only 9 months ago). Rosewall played Wimbledon finals @ 40 yrs old, and many will probably say that was a goat era or something :p

I have been through this discussion before and you are always pushing my words to mean as I'm exaggerating to say that Federer has a foot in the grave, or is playing with a cane or whatever :rolleyes: It's a fact that Federer is old for a tennis player and has declined from his peak form and anyone who has watched Federer in his peak would know the difference between then and now. A lot of Djokovic fans seem to maintain the idea that Federer today is not that much different from 2004-2007 Federer so to continually hype up Djokovic's achievements. No one is saying Federer is playing with a foot in his grave or whatever hyperboles you're going with but he's 30 and he has declined, plain and simple. Never lost from being up 2-0 in a slam before ever, and then doing it this year, twice? There is a clear difference and denying it is just really ridiculous at this point.

As I said before, very few players have won slams at 30+. And most of them are considered all time greats like Sampras, Connors, Agassi. And even Sampras did it just once. Tennis is a young man's game.

Um,not really. The fact says a lot more about the rest of the top 10 than the top 4 actually.

If you read the rest of my post, I actually said that I think it was more of a testament of how weak the rest of the field is.

Yungos
10-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Yungos does not care what Nick Bollettieri thinks. That being said Yungos does not believe Andy Murray can win a grandslam. Yungos thinks that this will be a good thing for Andy Murray. Yungos loves Andy Murray's image of being the perennial runner up or a danger to the top players.

Yungos is a big fan of Murray's recent form during the Asian Swing. Yungos thinks Murray can win a grand-slam on that form

Yungos
10-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Yungos would like to make his last point clear. Yungos thinks Andy Murray cannot replicate his recent form at a grandslam.

Art(e)mio
10-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Bollettieri is an old and fat man these days. What do you expect from him...
Sexy Murray will win a GS when he will adopt a more aggressive game and stop pushing and waiting the errors.

Rodre Fegassi
10-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Yungos would like to make his last point clear. Yungos thinks Andy Murray cannot replicate his recent form at a grandslam.

I can guarantee you that a 30% Djokovic would triple bagel Tokyo Murray at a slam. And so would Nadal if he could be bothered to show up for non-slam events.

Egreen
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Disagree.

nsidhan
10-26-2011, 05:19 PM
On the other hand BOLLETTIERI can NEVER EVER win a Grand Slam :nerner:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-26-2011, 05:22 PM
On the other hand BOLLETTIERI can NEVER EVER win a Grand Slam :nerner:

He doesn't want to. :shrug:

Rodre Fegassi
10-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Bollettieri knows way better than you forum mugs. He's been around elite professional tennis and coaching his whole life.

Therefore if he says Murray can't win a slam it is as close to the truth as we can physically get without an actual prophecy and you guys must be insane to disagree with such an authority. Learn your place, seriously.

nsidhan
10-26-2011, 05:25 PM
He doesn't want to. :shrug:

I say joke :shrug:.

Nole fan
10-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Bollettieri knows way better than you forum mugs. He's been around elite professional tennis and coaching his whole life.

:yeah:

Mechlan
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM

Therefore if he says Murray can't win a slam it is as close to the truth as we can physically get without an actual prophecy and you guys must be insane to disagree with such an authority. Learn your place, seriously.

:facepalm: You're so bad at trolling. Seriously.

Super Djoker
10-26-2011, 08:03 PM
You are presenting a case that the current era is not as strong as many claim.

Without Federer and Nadal Soderling would have 2 French Open,s Without Fed Murray could of had 2! Maybe 3 without Novak! Only a crap era has a weak number 1 ala Hewitt and roddick! No,one can stop Rafa on Clay aswell! This is not a weak era Because we have a top 4 where anyone can beat anyone! Del Potro could be a danger again soon aswell!

tennis2tennis
10-26-2011, 08:54 PM
Bollettieri is an overrated mug who happens to have coached a few good kids becuase of the massive money he gets.

why people still listen to what he says is anyone's guess.

not just that the really talented ones their parents did majority of the work before they stepped foot in the academy!

LawrenceOfTennis
10-28-2011, 07:37 AM

This.

Rodre Fegassi
10-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Without Federer and Nadal Soderling would have 2 French Open,s Without Fed Murray could of had 2! Maybe 3 without Novak! Only a crap era has a weak number 1 ala Hewitt and roddick! No,one can stop Rafa on Clay aswell! This is not a weak era Because we have a top 4 where anyone can beat anyone! Del Potro could be a danger again soon aswell!

lol, no we have a top 4 where Djokovic beats Nadal, Nadal beats Federer, Federer and Djokovic matches are dubious (but won't be next year when Federer is older), and Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all DESTROY Murray.

Seriously, that guy is infinitely lower in ability.

Everko
11-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Bollettieri is right. He must read my signature

LawrenceOfTennis
11-21-2011, 06:54 PM
:shrug:

SetSampras
11-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Its certainly possible he doesn't as long as the top 3 are still in tact, Murray is going to have to go through them and eventually other stars will step up.. Maybe

BIGMARAT
11-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I think Murray is only as good as Hewwitt. He can win slam but not with Nole, Nadal and Federer in the draw.
Hewitt won his slams during those period where no one dominates except Safin who cares less.

tektonac
11-21-2011, 07:43 PM
with aggressive game and proper mindset he could win a GS.

ossie
11-21-2011, 07:52 PM
when is the last time his mug academy produced a slam winner.

stewietennis
11-21-2011, 08:39 PM
This era isn't as deep as the 80s or 90s but currently, it's infinitely more difficult for the average player to navigate past the Semis.

atennisfan
11-21-2011, 09:57 PM
I think Murray is only as good as Hewwitt. He can win slam but not with Nole, Nadal and Federer in the draw.
Hewitt won his slams during those period where no one dominates except Safin who cares less.

You cannot be serious!

How can you compare Hewitt's legendary mental fortitude during his peak to puny Murray's?

Even without Fed, Nadal, Nole, Murray would have still lost to clowngas, fishes or ferrers of the world in majors.

fast_clay
11-21-2011, 11:09 PM

:spit:

hosay
11-22-2011, 12:06 AM
murray FH simply too slow rackethead speed and powerless. Its the reason he havent win a slam.

Naudio Spanlatine
11-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Bollettieri is right. He must read my signature

:shrug:

:worship:

:spit: :facepalm:

wait the hell minute, HOW CAN YOU TELL ME THAT HES AS GOOD AS HEWITT, MURRAY HAS NEVER PLAYED HEWITT AT HIS BEST, HEWITT WAS ONE OF THE BEST BASELINERS IN THE GAME ALONG WITH NALBANDIAN AND DAVYDENKO AND SAFIN, HE WON A SLAM AROUND RAFA'S AND NOLE'S AGE, TWO OF THEM, but unfortunately just like nalbandian and safin he was hampered with horrible injures most on the back:sad:, but dont even try to give me that hes as good as hewitt, even rafa can tell you how hard it was to beat hewitt at his best!

murray FH simply too slow rackethead speed and powerless. Its the reason he havent win a slam.
his fh reminds me of jelena jankovic and caroline wozniackis :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

hosay
11-22-2011, 06:24 AM
lol, no we have a top 4 where Djokovic beats Nadal, Nadal beats Federer, Federer and Djokovic matches are dubious (but won't be next year when Federer is older), and Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all DESTROY Murray.

Seriously, that guy is infinitely lower in ability.

Murray is infinitely lower inability because his forehand don't exist although he hit fast enough on the backhand, he will neutralise the rally when the ball goes to his forehand.

legolandbridge
11-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Andy Murray is the third ranked tennis player in the world.

That means, by definition, that he is a contender at any tennis event he enters.
However, I do not think he has a chance at winning a the PGA championship, high-jump gold medal, or formula 1 championship.

There you have it.

Chirag
11-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Its certainly possible he doesn't as long as the top 3 are still in tact, Murray is going to have to go through them and eventually other stars will step up.. Maybe

Yeah his mental game is weak and he doesnt have a forehand .Until he improves 1 he wont win a slam

LawrenceOfTennis
01-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Let's hope Nick is wrong.

rocketassist
01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
I still think he'll have longer than people think unless surfaces and other factors change.

The fact is, under these conditions, we aren't going to see new slam winners unless they're physically fit, quick and with brick wall defence.

Tomic is the most suited of the new bloods, but Dimitrov, Raonic and co are nothing like this so haven't really got a cat in hell's chance.

LawrenceOfTennis
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I still think he'll have longer than people think unless surfaces and other factors change.

The fact is, under these conditions, we aren't going to see new slam winners unless they're physically fit, quick and with brick wall defence.

Tomic is the most suited of the new bloods, but Dimitrov, Raonic and co are nothing like this so haven't really got a cat in hell's chance.

Totally agree.

ossie
01-26-2012, 09:45 PM
wasnt nishikori trained at bolletieri academy :haha:

LawrenceOfTennis
01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
wasnt nishikori trained at bolletieri academy :haha:

Courier,Agassi trained there.

out_grinder
01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Let's hope Nick is wrong.

I thought you were a Mugry hater?

Let's hope Nick is right!!

leng jai
01-26-2012, 10:41 PM
The funniest thing is is that Bolletteieri probably thinks Hass can still win a GS.

LawrenceOfTennis
01-26-2012, 11:46 PM
The funniest thing is is that Bolletteieri probably thinks Hass can still win a GS.

:lol: sad but true

Seingeist
01-26-2012, 11:56 PM

The funniest thing is that anyone else thinks he can't.

Mr.Miracle
01-27-2012, 12:51 AM
According to Aggassi's biography Bolleteri is a scam artist who knows nothing about tennis. And that the academy didn't teach him anything. A lot of people who go there agree.

LawrenceOfTennis
01-27-2012, 12:53 AM
According to Aggassi's biography Bolleteri is a scam artist who knows nothing about tennis. And that the academy didn't teach him anything. A lot of people who go there agree.

Andre himself admitted later in his book that he considers Bollettieri his mentor and thought his help was crucial in his progress overall.

BroTree123
01-27-2012, 12:56 AM
There are mugs, and there are mugs......What else is new?

LawrenceOfTennis
01-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Hate to say it, but Nick is right.

Nearco
01-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Hate to say it, but Nick is right.

You're the genius who lolled at the temerity of people thinking Murray could take a set off Djokovic. I would suggest Bollettieri has taken too much coke and spent too much time in the sun for anyone to give the slightest shit what he thinks.

azure
01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
The way he played against a half dead Nole tonight, failing to capitalise, I wouldn't be surprised if he never won a GS. He's got serious problems with his mentality that even Lendl's not gonna fix

Nearco
01-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh, so when he plays well against one of the big three it's because one of them is half dead. Bellend.

bandabou
01-27-2012, 11:09 AM
well, well, well....getting to the top is easy, but staying there..Novak :wavey:

LawrenceOfTennis
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Let's be honest here. Murray will never win a GS.

Nearco
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
And you're the worst poster on this forum.

tennis2tennis
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM
The thing that worries me is that Murray is in his prime years - and he's got maybe 2 years or so before he passes that PEAK physical years but if I was a Andy fan I would take postives

no bad body language/looking angry @ his box

no defeatist attitude when he's down

There was little separating him from Nole for long durations of the match but he needs the killer touch and confidence in his ability I'm afraid with every defeat what little confidence he was will ebb away

ballbasher101
01-27-2012, 01:02 PM
He played amazing today. He played the way a major winner should play. He was unlucky but one thing is for sure he will win a major this year. The US open or Wimbledon will be his. He is playing the right way, all he needs now is a bit of luck.

Orbis
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Don't think the doom and gloom attitude of some posters is appropriate...yeah Murray got mentally beaten tonight but against Djokovic who is mentally the toughest player right now and who simply refused to give in.

KaiserT
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
He played amazing today. He played the way a major winner should play. He was unlucky but one thing is for sure he will win a major this year. The US open or Wimbledon will be his. He is playing the right way, all he needs now is a bit of luck.

For sure? :lol:

I'm a fan, but this is baseless..... he played the right way at times, played well at times, showed good fight for most of it.... but it wasn't a mentally impressive effort. At least not impressive enough to suggest winning a slam is right round the corner.

Singularity
01-27-2012, 01:07 PM
The way he played against a half dead Nole tonight, failing to capitalise, I wouldn't be surprised if he never won a GS. He's got serious problems with his mentality that even Lendl's not gonna fix
When two mentally tough players meet, there has to be one winner.

Both players were half dead by the end of the match.

Allez
01-27-2012, 01:09 PM
All Andy needs is a bit of luck. He's got the game to go all the way. Nole and Rafa can hardly dominate the way they have been for ever...

LawrenceOfTennis
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
All Andy needs is a bit of luck. He's got the game to go all the way. Nole and Rafa can hardly dominate the way they have been for ever...

Agree. He needs top 3 to retire or get injured so he can hope for fish or young. Oh wait, young beat him last year :lol:

LawrenceOfTennis
01-28-2012, 11:04 PM

Yeah, to avoid decent players.

Jafooli
01-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah, to avoid decent players.

So you bumped the thread to quote the same specific part of a post you quoted before just two days ago?

Christ, so like a fair few others you don't think Murray will win a slam. We. Get. It.

LawrenceOfTennis
01-28-2012, 11:12 PM
So you bumped the thread to quote the same specific part of a post you quoted before just two days ago?

Christ, so like a fair few others you don't think Murray will win a slam. We. Get. It.

Bitter huh? :lol:

syc23
01-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Agree. He needs top 3 to retire or get injured so he can hope for fish or young. Oh wait, young beat him last year :lol:

He also bitch slapped young at USO and Thailand Open to make up for that blip so what's your point?

out_grinder
01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Bitter huh? :lol:

Lawrence, your hate for Murray is admirable, but why are you a Del-Potro fan?

If someone wants to wind you up, they can always attack Del-Potro;

Del-Potro's slam win was the biggest fluke in the history of sport.

There.

You should hate every player in the game like, say, ME - therefore you can't be attacked.

xargon
01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
The US open or Wimbledon will be his. He is playing the right way, all he needs now is a bit of luck.

If he's so good why does he need luck?

Mae
01-29-2012, 03:29 AM
I would be willing to bet that Bollettieri thought Tommy Haas would win a Grand Slam which sadly he never did :sad: And I still think Andy will get a Grand Slam!

ballbasher101
09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Bump. He proved the doubters wrong. I did say he would win either the US open or Wimbledon. I was right.