Which challenger players with big serves could finally become ATP tour players? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which challenger players with big serves could finally become ATP tour players?

romismak
10-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Now with indoor season i am thinking about many forgotten players with big serves. Serve is still biggest weapon in tennis and i think Muller is good example of what i mean from challengers to ATP tour - Muller was playing mostly challengers in 1st half of 2011, now he is comfortably in top 100 and playing mostly ATP tour events.

What do you think about players that are playing challengers, because their ranking is not good enough for stable ATP tour tournaments. I am talking about players with big serves, those guys have done some damage in the past, but after few weeks of glory are again on challenger circuit are not able to be regular ATP tour players. There are too many of them but for example: Guccione, Querrey, Bubka, Bozoljac, Ball and others.

I think many of those guys can became stable ATP tour players - by Querry i think it is logical he was top 20 once. Funny is that Ivo is considered by many to be worst returner- and in rallies worst guy and ever - and still another guys with big serves are far away of Ivo´s succes on ATP tour- yes Ivo has still bigger serves than everybody of those guys, but that means they are even worse returners and baseliners than Ivo not? So which of them have the potential to finally leave challengers behind them - have the game besides the serve - FH, BH, maybe return to be succesfull for years to come on ATP tour?

Li Ching Yuen
10-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Fabrice Martin is the biggest serving guy in Challengers. However, I don't think he takes tennis seriously or is injured all the time.

De Schepper has a pretty nasty Flopez-like lefty serve that could well trouble some guys, but way too inconsistent.

Guccione is basically playing in one leg since 2009 so no chances there.
Looking at some of the guys that play in Moscow/St.Petersburg I'm guessing Bubkha could very well handle some of them.

In general there aren't any really consistent servers out there in the Challenger tour, there are still some guys that don't know how to maximize their serve ability, for example Bubkha who didn't know that you could hit a slice serve up until this year and so on...

r2473
10-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Karlovic looked strong in Sacramento.

Lopez looked OK in Orleans. Llodra looks good too.

I think these guys have a shot.

nellis_lv
10-21-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure about future ATP level, but definitely Samuel Groth (Jarmila's ex). The guy's serve is just lethal.

I think he's currently at Futures level, though, after injuries.

Say Hey Kid
10-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Marius Copil definitely.

philosophicalarf
10-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Muller was never really a challenger player though, he just had form and fitness issues for several years. His size means that at less than 100% movement, he's pretty useless, but when he is there....... well, he knocked out Nadal from Wimbledon in 05, and Roddick that year in the US (back when Roddick was top class).

Topspindoctor
10-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Never paid any attention to challengers but anyone with huge serve (being lefty helps too) can BS his way into top 100. I mean Karlovic was a top 20 player at one time.

Chase Visa
10-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Karlovic looked strong in Sacramento.

Lopez looked OK in Orleans. Llodra looks good too.

I think these guys have a shot.

Aren't they already ATP-level players though? Most of them only play 1-2 Challengers a year.

Hewitt =Legend
10-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Aren't they already ATP-level players though? Most of them only play 1-2 Challengers a year.

Get that sarcasm detector checked out mate ;)

Li Ching Yuen
10-22-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure about future ATP level, but definitely Samuel Groth (Jarmila's ex). The guy's serve is just lethal.

I think he's currently at Futures level, though, after injuries.

Probably the only guy that serves as hard as Taylor Dent did. I remember him hitting consecutive serves close to 150mph, and not the Ivo Karlovic ones, real hammers measured accordingly ... but lethal?

He barely made half of serves in, and his second looked quite common to me, don't think that can hold well at ATP level.

Say Hey Kid
10-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Groth does have a great 1st serve, but that's literally his whole game. His 2nd serve sucks, as does literally every other part of his game

I'd be stunned if he could ever got a direct acceptance into an ATP event.

Filo V.
10-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I think Brands can make it back in the top 100 eventually. Copil I think will make it, but I also think Copil is overrated by most, and won't ever be an upper-tier ATP player.

The other players, I don't think so. Either due to advancing age, injuries, inconsistency or a lack of ability off the serve. Maybe a guy like Bemelmans can be a 85-100 player for a while. I wouldn't put it completely past Delic to make a run. But that's about it.

Filo V.
10-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Groth has zero chance of being a top 125 player consistently, let alone top 100. He's just a middling challenger/futures player. Most of these guys have little to nothing outside a big first serve. Why Ivo, Ljubo, Isner and other servers have made careers is because, first of all the use their serves better and have better serves, and also because they bring more to the table in terms of viable aspects of their games.

Sombrerero loco
10-22-2011, 02:19 PM
henri kontinen, if he can stay healthy :)

xdrewitdajx
10-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Groth has zero chance of being a top 125 player consistently, let alone top 100. He's just a middling challenger/futures player. Most of these guys have little to nothing outside a big first serve. Why Ivo, Ljubo, Isner and other servers have made careers is because, first of all the use their serves better and have better serves, and also because they bring more to the table in terms of viable aspects of their games.

lol...

Lopez
10-22-2011, 02:30 PM
henri kontinen, if he can stay healthy :)

Definitely... Let's hope he does

motorhead
01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Bachinger doing well