Del Potro Poor Man's Soderling? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Del Potro Poor Man's Soderling?

desigundah
10-20-2011, 05:13 AM
Earlier this year I proclaimed that Del Potro would be the future of the ATP. Afterall, Roger was turning 30 Nole had started off strong but had shown a propensity to struggle as the season goes on, Nadal looked like he was aging and Murray was still acting like Murray. But Del Potro has been complete shit. Perhaps the film everyone will watch when they prepare to play him his match against Simon. In that match Simon showed just how limited the Argentine is by simply tapping the ball back in play and letting the big guy break himself down.

When Del Potro won his major times were different. Nadal was worn out and injured. Federer, although coming off a Wimbledon win, wasn't playing well and lacked consistency against the best players.

So really what is Delpo? To me, he's just a poor Man's Soderling. I know Delpo fans will say that it's ridiculous to call a player who has won a GS a lesser version of a player who's never won one but i think in this situation it's precisely the case. Two big guys with good, not great serves who struggle at the net but can at times just destroy opponents by bludgeoning vicious groudies. Unfortunately for Delp his groundies this year have not been nearly as deep or close to the lines and opponents just break him down.

You would think that for a relatively young guy like Del Potro his problems are more related to confidence than lack of game but here I just don't think it's the case. He beat two of the hottest players on tour in Tipsarevic and Djokovic to help Serbia advance to the DC final. What happens after that? He gets beat in straights
On the same surface to a guy who was playing challengers two weeks ago.

Del Potro needs a new coach badly.

Ibracadabra
10-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Sure, i mean soderling has multiple grand slams and del potro just.... oh wait.

Topspindoctor
10-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Someone on these forums has described Del Potro as "WTA player with male power" - which I completely agree with and think it's a spot on description. The guy has tons of weaknesses, no plan B, injury prone and his mental toughness is overrated. He can't win a masters or even string together a few decent wins. His wins over Nadal and Federer in USO 2009 is something that fuels his mystic image amongst his tards. Truth is, the guy is a brainless ball basher no better than the likes of Korolev or Gabashvili who simply happened to be in the right place and at the right time. He'll never win a slam again or be back amongst the top 5. As far as I am concerned, late 2009 was an anomaly. He's a big hitter, but no more than a speedbump for elite players in R4 of a slam :shrug:

Orka_n
10-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Del Potro and Soderling are about the same imo.
I'd say Delpo has a tad more potential though because he moves faster. (At the same time, Soderling's serve is a little better but...) Anyway, we'll see what happens next year.

Kat_YYZ
10-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Top 15 and 2 titles = complete shit? :eek: :rolleyes:
(that #15 rank is with only 15 countable tournaments, by the way) Del Po will be fine; given what he went through and the long layoff he had, it was a successful comeback year.

rickcastle
10-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Del Potro is not doing so well at the moment but a slam winner (beating 2 all time greats in the process) being a poor man's version of a non-slam winner sounds kind of asinine no matter how I spin it.

Sri
10-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Relax. Del Potro is the future of tennis. He'll be the one to hit Nole off the court.

Say Hey Kid
10-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Del Potro will surely be in the top 10 again, if he's stays healthy. I'd bet my life on it. To take anything out of the Blake loss is rather foolish. He had a very legit chance of cracking the top 8 THIS year if he played Asia, especially considering weak field, but skipped it to focus on DC. To skip Asia and miss out on a boatload of points and prize money is mind boggling. The writing was on the wall, and by his previous actions it's clear he had no motivation to do well in Stockholm.

Overall Delpo's year hasn't been as bad as people make it out to be. His GS results have been poor. He wasn't in form at all in AO, had a poor ranking going into RG/Wimbledon and lost to Djok/Nadal 4 sets early in tournament. There is no excuse for his Simon USO loss.

That said, he still has won 54.2% of points in all his matches. Only the big four and Ferrer are ahead of him. Oddsmakers value point percentage won greatly, it's a very good barometer for future success. A statistic alot of people overlook.

To call him a poor man's Soderling is not right. Del Potro definitely has potential to be much better than Soderling. He has already accomplished quite a bit, and alot of people forget he did just turn 23.

Right now with his current form he certainly isn't up there with top 4. To make the prediction he will be successful as Nadal, Federer and Djokovoic would be going way overboard. However, he's definitely the most viable canidate to win a GS outside the big 4 and expect him to be surely in the top 10 next year.

MuzzahLovah
10-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Del Potro, Soderling, Berdych etc- they're all about equivalent. That is, they can serve and return big, bludgeon ground strokes, but not much more than that. They can't really change tactics based on an opponent, but when they're on, they hit every line. I don't see them doing more than the occasional great slam run. I don't actually seeing many players in that style having consistent success. Even the great Marat, who was an exceptional volleyer as well, wasn't all that consistent and couldn't really build on his triumphs for any length of time.

If anything they're all poor man's versions of Marat.

Topspindoctor
10-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Del Potro, Soderling, Berdych etc- they're all about equivalent. That is, they can serve and return big, bludgeon ground strokes, but not much more than that. They can't really change tactics based on an opponent, but when they're on, they hit every line. I don't see them doing more than the occasional great slam run. I don't actually seeing many players in that style having consistent success. Even the great Marat, who was an exceptional volleyer as well, wasn't all that consistent and couldn't really build on his triumphs for any length of time.

Del Potro can't even serve properly, given his height.

DanaKz
10-20-2011, 06:54 AM
Mamma Mia, I remember somebody said "Soderling is Poor Man's Del Potro" couple of years ago. The times they are a-changing, right?

MuzzahLovah
10-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Del Potro can't even serve properly, given his height.

If he's losing to Blake, he isn't doing a whole lot of things properly right now.

Getta
10-20-2011, 07:02 AM
The times they are a-changing, right?

but the workings of our own brains remain unseen

VolandriFan
10-20-2011, 07:08 AM
People have such short memories. :lol:

MaxPower
10-20-2011, 07:18 AM

Agree to some extent. Safin is the latest tall (6'4 as Soderling) world number 1 and also probably the only "big hitting" player to be ranked that high.

Del Potro and Soderling are both career high #4s. One got a slam and the other a master and way more titles. In the end Soderling has a more pure attacking style and is way better to be aggressive with his BH than Delpo and also has a more powerful serve. Delpo might have slightly better movement and a better running forehand and also is 4 years younger so got time on his side.

I question if Del Potro will ever be as good at sending winners from both sides and if players focused to hit to his BH all the time he can't really take control of the rallies the same way as Soderling. On the other hand he is a bit more patient and rarely start to spray errors as badly as Soderling/Berdych can do on an off-day.

We'll see how Delpo develop from here but he is 23 after all and his game will likely not see any radical changes. 2012 will give a lot of answers for the big hitters. 2011 turned out to be a somewhat disappointing year slam wise.

MuzzahLovah
10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Just an illustration- Magic Marat vs. peak GOAT.
So much big hitting and delicate volleys and superb defensive slices.
GEeyM3KFovk

henke007
10-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Both have been sidelined by injuries and sickness in Sodas case and have fallen to about the same position now outside the top 10 (Robin will be there in 3 weeks).

Delpos comeback after last year have been terrible. Interesting to see both next year and who does best.

Johnny_Bravo
10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
I know Delpo fans will say that it's ridiculous to call a player who has won a GS a lesser version of a player who's never won one

beat yourself up right there :rolleyes:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Poor man's Soderling? You dude better watch soccer.
Delpo has much more variety than Soderling. It's obvious. JMDP has huge talent.
But yes, I agree, his season has been pretty disappointing. Especially for me. And yes, he needs a new coach who knows more about scheduling and career management.

BodyServe
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Soderling probably has the highest average groundstroke speed seen on a tennis court.

So yes, in that regard, Del Potro is poor man's Soderling.

VolandriFan
10-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Poor man's Soderling? It's some stretch to say Robin is even on par with Del Potro as a player, let alone better.

Do people really forget just how much of a beast Del Potro was in 2008-2009? The 23 match winning streak, beating Nadal and Federer consecutively en-route to his first grand slam title as a 20 year old, even making the Roland Garros semifinals and almost knocking off pre-Declinerer Roger. After suffering a potentially career-ending injury that took him out of the game for far more than half a year, I think he deserves to be cut some slack. He's back in the top 15 on a reduced schedule and far from his best. In all due respect, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray have not contended with injuries of that scale.

Soderling is four years older and already past his peak, I would be very surprised if Del Potro didn't end his career with greater highlights. The head to head of 1-5 doesn't flatter Soderling too much either.

And also, Del Potro has been called a pusher here in the past, now he's back to ballbasher status. :lol:

Beat
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I know Delpo fans will say that it's ridiculous to call a player who has won a GS a lesser version of a player who's never won one

... and they will be right about this.

superganon
10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
del potro got better defence, movment and volley then soderling....he will be multiple GS champ in the future. jsut look h2h vs sod. he is wipping sods ass federer/djokovic style!

Eddy DoubleD
10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Poor man's Soderling? You dude better watch soccer.
Delpo has much more variety than Soderling. It's obvious. JMDP has huge talent.
But yes, I agree, his season has been pretty disappointing. Especially for me. And yes, he needs a new coach who knows more about scheduling and career management.

After Davis Cup he was disappoining. Until then, he played pretty well, above my expectations. Now he is way below... It's strange that he had better results when he was a WC or he wasn't seeded.

Everko
10-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Del Potro is a much better player than Soderling. But he still is not elite

Certinfy
10-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Both are awesome.

End of.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-20-2011, 05:27 PM
the one who started this thread should be in a psychiatric care facility:facepalm:

give delpo a break, hes recovering mentally in these matches, his management team what heard has been full of BS and the fact that you consider him as a "Poor mans Soderling" is jus absolutely RIDICULOUS:o

Matt01
10-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Both have been sidelined by injuries and sickness in Sodas case and have fallen to about the same position now outside the top 10 (Robin will be there in 3 weeks).

Delpos comeback after last year have been terrible. Interesting to see both next year and who does best.

Not really, no.

Do people really forget just how much of a beast Del Potro was in 2008-2009? The 23 match winning streak, beating Nadal and Federer consecutively en-route to his first grand slam title as a 20 year old, even making the Roland Garros semifinals and almost knocking off pre-Declinerer Roger. After suffering a potentially career-ending injury that took him out of the game for far more than half a year, I think he deserves to be cut some slack. He's back in the top 15 on a reduced schedule and far from his best. In all due respect, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray have not contended with injuries of that scale.

Soderling is four years older and already past his peak, I would be very surprised if Del Potro didn't end his career with greater highlights. The head to head of 1-5 doesn't flatter Soderling too much either.

And also, Del Potro has been called a pusher here in the past, now he's back to ballbasher status. :lol:

Yeah, it's really ridiculous :rolleyes:

rocketassist
10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah, it's really ridiculous :rolleyes:

You must have damaged eyeballs the amount of :rolleyes: you do :lol:

Nadal had the knees in 09, Murray had the wrist in 07, there's two top players who had damaging injuries.

As I said, Murray was getting his arse kicked by Fognini, Baghdatis and going out of the USO to Hyung-taik Lee on his comeback, but he quickly recovered to have his best ever year.

Del Potro ran into the top 2 in Paris and Wimbledon, but his losses to Baghdatis and especially Simon at the USO are pretty poor no matter how you dress it up.

He's the pusher when he plays Soderling BTW, which is why on slow ass shit courts he's won every encounter.

tennishero
10-20-2011, 10:52 PM
poor mans soderling :haha:

too good :haha: too good!!!

Sham Kay
10-20-2011, 11:15 PM
DelPo's better than Soderling is most aspects, even if you were to (unfairly) call his USO09 a fluke. But there are too many match up issues against the top guys and fitness issues for his to ever consistently win tournaments. The difference between them isn't the GS, since DelPo hasn't yet proven he can win more big tournaments (no masters yet, another GS looking unlikely). Certainly not a poor man's Soderling.

disagol
10-20-2011, 11:23 PM
I usually agree when players take some time off the court to rest and try to be fresh with this ridiculous schedule.
But in the case of Delpo, he never had his form or any rhythm back and spends way too much time without proper competition, and I feel like he almost has to start over again. He also needs to recover that fighting spirit he was known for.

DYJBAA
10-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Del Potro is the next generation Marat Safin. won the US Open, got a year killing injury and trying to make another final

Matt01
10-21-2011, 01:28 AM
Nadal had the knees in 09, Murray had the wrist in 07, there's two top players who had damaging injuries.

Del Potro was almost out for a full season, his ranking dropped into no man's land. Nadal and Murray were only out for a few weeks if I remember correctly.

And since you asked for, here's another :rolleyes: for you. And no, my eyeballs are still fine ;)

Del Potro has won 2 tournaments this year, beat the Djoko-GOAT, and is almost back in the Top 10; no matter how you try to twist it, his comeback has been a success.

Sapeod
10-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Sure, i mean soderling has multiple grand slams and del potro just.... oh wait.
The slam doesn't matter here. It's far harder to break Soderling down than Del Potro. Also Soderling's peak beat Nadal at RG. Del Potro's peak beat Nadal on hardcourt. Soderling's win is far superior, even though Del Potro's scoreline is better by far. Now that I look at it, Del Potro only won the US Open because Federer acted like a clown in the final.

Ibracadabra
10-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Their h2h suggests soderling is the poor mans del potro. Only time soderking beat del potro was well before juan had matured and even that was in soderling country on his favourite surface and it still went to two tiebreaks.

Sapeod
10-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Their h2h suggests soderling is the poor mans del potro. Only time soderking beat del potro was well before juan had matured and even that was in soderling country on his favourite surface and it still went to two tiebreaks.
H2H has nothing to do with it. Murray has a superior h2h against Del Potro but you won't consider that at all. If it is in Del Potro's favour, you'll use it. If it is against Del Potro, you'll make excuses...

Topspindoctor
10-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Soderling >>>>>>>> Del potro

Why?

Soderling has pulled the biggest upset of the open era: beat Nadal in Paris

Del Bashtro - beat injured Nadal and clown Federer in finals and done nothing before or after that.

rocketassist
10-21-2011, 01:45 AM

Del Potro has that h2h cause he plays the Nadull retrieve-a-thon well enough to extract errors from Soderling.

Soderling is always the aggressor in the match-up, but slow surfaces mean he always loses out.

VolandriFan
10-21-2011, 01:56 AM

Why?

Del Bashtro - beat injured Nadal and clown Federer in finals and done nothing before or after that.

Someone had to do it and he was in the right place at the right time. Soderling just happened to be at his bash-tastic best that day. Nothing about him has ever screamed top contender though, his form is completely irregular. Even leading up to that tournament he'd done fuck all.

Del Potro has that h2h cause he plays the Nadull retrieve-a-thon well enough to extract errors from Soderling.

Soderling is always the aggressor in the match-up, but slow surfaces mean he always loses out.

That is to say, Soderling has only one game-plan and when he's not having a good day, second-rate Nadal defence is enough to beat him comfortably. At least Del Potro knows when it's time to sit back and play some defensive tennis.

Ibracadabra
10-21-2011, 02:02 AM
yeah del potro excels as a grinder

MuzzahLovah
10-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Del Potro is the next generation Marat Safin. won the US Open, got a year killing injury and trying to make another final

:eek:No insulting Marat please.
:worship:Marat could hall ass, volley as well or better than fed, and use defensive slices effectively, as well as hit harder than everyone.:worship:

rubbERR
10-21-2011, 02:21 AM

Why?

Stfu about your same repeating crap, you freaking robot. Are you braindead? :o

Do us PEOPLE favor and fly away, robots dont care obviously.

Topspindoctor
10-21-2011, 03:12 AM
Someone had to do it and he was in the right place at the right time. Soderling just happened to be at his bash-tastic best that day. Nothing about him has ever screamed top contender though, his form is completely irregular. Even leading up to that tournament he'd done fuck all.

Obviously Nadal had to lose in Paris someday, but I never imagined it would be to a big hitter, he ate them on clay for as long as I remember. By the way, "the biggest upset of the open era" aren't my words, Martina Navratilova said it.

Stfu about your same repeating crap, you freaking robot. Are you braindead? :o

Do us PEOPLE favor and fly away, robots dont care obviously.

:superlol: You mad, bro?

Obviously Del Potrotards are still going strong on these forums, too bad they are in for more dissapointment next year :awww:

rocketassist
10-21-2011, 03:23 AM
it's 'are you serious bro'

The Magician
10-21-2011, 03:41 AM
Del Potro does have serious problems with his serve which breaks down when he's low on confidence, when your serve is supposed to be the last thing that breaks down in your game. Soderling has a huge ball toss but I still think his serve is better than Del Potro's most of the time. But when Del Potro's on fire, he's very good as he showed against Nadull. Del Potro doesn't have the game or the body to be a consistent slam winner, which is what the ATP needs instead of the same fixed draw every slam that ends in the same semifinals and final :o

Ichiban1920
10-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Del Mugro is a better player than Soderling, hits the ball as hard and more consistently, better mover, more variety, and has won the slam.

Orka_n
10-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Someone had to do it and he was in the right place at the right time. Soderling just happened to be at his bash-tastic best that day. Nothing about him has ever screamed top contender though, his form is completely irregular. Even leading up to that tournament he'd done fuck all.:scratch: Soderling was a headcase for most of his career but ever since he received a bit of mental coaching by Norman combined with his success RG09, he's been surprisingly consistent. Especially in the slams. "Nothing about him has ever screamed top contender"? What are you talking about? He's reached 2 slam finals, 4 quarters, he was #4 for a while and #5 for a long time, too. You have all right to consider Del Potro to has more potential but you should still have your facts straight.

motorhead
10-21-2011, 04:16 AM
That said, he still has won 54.2% of points in all his matches. Only the big four and Ferrer are ahead of him.
where can I find this updated statistic?

VolandriFan
10-21-2011, 04:59 AM
:scratch: Soderling was a headcase for most of his career but ever since he received a bit of mental coaching by Norman combined with his success RG09, he's been surprisingly consistent. Especially in the slams. "Nothing about him has ever screamed top contender"? What are you talking about? He's reached 2 slam finals, 4 quarters, he was #4 for a while and #5 for a long time, too. You have all right to consider Del Potro to has more potential but you should still have your facts straight.

I mean this in the same sense that Ferrer has never been a "top contender" despite being in the top 5 for some period of time. Soderling never looked likely to interfere with the Federer and Nadal stranglehold, I would never back him mentally in a slam final against any of the top 4 (whereas you've definitely got to give Del Potro a chance if he makes it to that stage), and even if he comes back to his best next year there's no way he's breaking the top 4.

Del Potro on the other hand, was on track to make the top 3 before the wrist injury halted his progress. Anyway, how can we even have this discussion when Del Potro is still younger than Soderling was when he reached those 2 RG finals?

Mountaindewslave
10-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Earlier this year I proclaimed that Del Potro would be the future of the ATP. Afterall, Roger was turning 30 Nole had started off strong but had shown a propensity to struggle as the season goes on, Nadal looked like he was aging and Murray was still acting like Murray. But Del Potro has been complete shit. Perhaps the film everyone will watch when they prepare to play him his match against Simon. In that match Simon showed just how limited the Argentine is by simply tapping the ball back in play and letting the big guy break himself down.

When Del Potro won his major times were different. Nadal was worn out and injured. Federer, although coming off a Wimbledon win, wasn't playing well and lacked consistency against the best players.

So really what is Delpo? To me, he's just a poor Man's Soderling. I know Delpo fans will say that it's ridiculous to call a player who has won a GS a lesser version of a player who's never won one but i think in this situation it's precisely the case. Two big guys with good, not great serves who struggle at the net but can at times just destroy opponents by bludgeoning vicious groudies. Unfortunately for Delp his groundies this year have not been nearly as deep or close to the lines and opponents just break him down.

You would think that for a relatively young guy like Del Potro his problems are more related to confidence than lack of game but here I just don't think it's the case. He beat two of the hottest players on tour in Tipsarevic and Djokovic to help Serbia advance to the DC final. What happens after that? He gets beat in straights
On the same surface to a guy who was playing challengers two weeks ago.

Del Potro needs a new coach badly.

if Del Potro's career ended now or if he somehow never comes back then you are 100% right OP. however I doubt that will happen. he definitely will return i think unless injuries keep him away. Soderling I think is more capable than even Del Potro on a great day but SOderling is inconsistant, as is Del Potro recently. but Juan does have an excuse, his huge 1 year lay off and problems coping with depression.

as of now you're right but Juan is much younger and over time i am certain he will become a much better and more impressive player than Soderling. not to say SOderling is bad, he can be INCREDIBLE on some days. but that's just it, SOME DAYS, randomly. overall they do have very similar styles though, yes

Orka_n
10-21-2011, 06:06 AM
I mean this in the same sense that Ferrer has never been a "top contender" despite being in the top 5 for some period of time. Soderling never looked likely to interfere with the Federer and Nadal stranglehold, I would never back him mentally in a slam final against any of the top 4 (whereas you've definitely got to give Del Potro a chance if he makes it to that stage), and even if he comes back to his best next year there's no way he's breaking the top 4.

Del Potro on the other hand, was on track to make the top 3 before the wrist injury halted his progress. Anyway, how can we even have this discussion when Del Potro is still younger than Soderling was when he reached those 2 RG finals?I already said I think Delpo has more potential too. However you said Soderling's form is completely irregular - which just hasn't been true the last 2 years.

The Freak
10-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Del Potro > Anyone with zero slams. Delpo stepped up in the biggest match of his life, which Soderling couldn't do.

MuzzahLovah
10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Del Potro > Anyone with zero slams. Delpo stepped up in the biggest match of his life, which Soderling couldn't do.

Yes one time. Roddick and Ferrero did it as well, at one time. Roddick isn't as good as Isner now, and Ferrero isn't the favorite against Ferrer.
Both DelPo and Soderling haven't had great years, but Soderling has been able to bring his A-game for more than one season, which makes him more of a threat next season.

Ibracadabra
10-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Yes one time. Roddick and Ferrero did it as well, at one time. Roddick isn't as good as Isner now, and Ferrero isn't the favorite against Ferrer.
Both DelPo and Soderling haven't had great years, but Soderling has been able to bring his A-game for more than one season, which makes him more of a threat next season.

horrible examples. I am better than laver with your logic.

MuzzahLovah
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
horrible examples. I am better than laver with your logic.

:stupid: Because you are both active pros...:o

Nole Rules
10-21-2011, 08:48 AM
This is MTF for ya. Full of shortsighted mugs.

Ibracadabra
10-21-2011, 08:50 AM
:stupid: Because you are both active pros...:o
the two players you gave as examples will be retired within a year. Pointless

MuzzahLovah
10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
the two players you gave as examples will be retired within a year. Pointless

Hint hint.

MaxPower
10-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Söderling or Murray can never be mentioned in a thread without it turning into a "ohh noes they only have slam finals and no slams, that means their tennis is no good"

Yet again this is tennis not the mysterious sport of slammis. Not that it matters too much I guess as the people targeted by this probably aren't following tennis right now but waiting for AO in January...

BodyServe
10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Yet again this is tennis not the mysterious sport of slammis. Not that it matters too much I guess as the people targeted by this probably aren't following tennis right now but waiting for AO in January...

And i'm sure they will watch only the final :lol: :lol:

Saberq
10-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Any person that says that Soderling is better than Del Potro is an idiot not to mention that Del Potro is a nice guy while Soderling is a cheater and hated by every tennis player .....

syc23
10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Del Potro = 1 GS
Soderling = 0 GS

Ummmm....not sure about Delpo being the inferior one.

nalbyfan
10-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Their only common point is their good forehands...Delpony is a south american guy, Robin is from north of Europe
Delpony is rather shy and modest, Robin is (too ?) self confident, Delpony is a Nadal's mate, not Robin...etc

Sapeod
10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Del Potro > Anyone with zero slams.
Uh, no. Murray >>>>>> Del Potro.

Rodre Fegassi
10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Any person that says that Soderling is better than Del Potro is an idiot not to mention that Del Potro is a nice guy while Soderling is a cheater and hated by every tennis player .....

I like Soderling because he's an asshole.

However, Delpo has won a slam. Therefore he is worth a billion Soderlings.

Delpo has nothing else to prove. If he wins more slams (he may well do) - good for him, but he's never gonna be the next Federer or Nadal.

If you know you're never gonna be the next GOAT, once you win a slam you can just relax and rest on your laurels. The world is yours already.

Rodre Fegassi
10-21-2011, 02:53 PM
What I meant by the above is that Delpo can retire today and Soderling can reach the finals of every grand slam from now to 2020, fighting tight 5-setters in each one - but by 2020 Delpotro will still be the more infinitely the more revered player and will be remembered forever and Soderling will be forgotten by 2021.

1 is infinitely bigger than 0 - so Delpotro is infinitely better and more talented than Soderling.

rocketassist
10-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Rios, Henman, Nalbandian> Del Potro as well

MatchFederer
10-21-2011, 03:02 PM
hell, even rocketassist > Del Potro. At least, I bet you think so.

Saberq
10-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Rios, Henman, Nalbandian> Del Potro as well

give me a break.....

rocketassist
10-21-2011, 03:37 PM
give me a break.....

Nope, those three are ahead of him and had a lot more consistency.

Everko
10-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Uh, no. Murray >>>>>> Del Potro.

:silly::rolls:

Kolya
10-21-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't believe so.

Del Potro has shown he has a little extra ability to beat the top players when it matters.

rocketassist
10-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't believe so.

Del Potro has shown he has a little extra ability to beat the top players when it matters.

Aside from a one off tournament where has he done it?

H2H with Federer- 2-7
H2H with Nadal- 3-7
H2H with Djokovic- 1-5
H2H with Murray- 1-5

By MTF's categorization that makes him a pigeon of all of those players. Plus I don't forget his pathetic choke after Nadull's 'injury' in the Wimbledon first set.

rubbERR
10-21-2011, 03:58 PM
rocketassist, you should just stfu when it comes Del Potro, can you do that? It again hurts us PEOPLE to see yet another braindead one.

STFU, dont reply.

MuzzahLovah
10-21-2011, 04:13 PM

H2H with Federer- 2-7
H2H with Nadal- 3-7
H2H with Djokovic- 1-5
H2H with Murray- 1-5

By MTF's categorization that makes him a pigeon of all of those players. Plus I don't forget his pathetic choke after Nadull's 'injury' in the Wimbledon first set.

So the retards here came up with this pigeon rule, and now are trying to disavow it? I like Del Po, but he's only played his best one season. Until he brings his best again, no one can say he's in another class above Soderling currently. I love how H2H's matter when comparing Nadal and Federer but not when comparing Del Po to the top 4. Such a joke.

Kolya
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM

H2H with Federer- 2-7
H2H with Nadal- 3-7
H2H with Djokovic- 1-5
H2H with Murray- 1-5

Well the one time it did really matter he won against Fed.

But to be honest Del Potro and Soderling get beaten by the top guys very often as you have pointed out. But it does not make Del Potro a "Poor man's Soderling" as the one important thing Del Potro has over Soderling is the GS.

MuzzahLovah
10-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Well the one time it did really matter he won against Fed.

But to be honest Del Potro and Soderling get beaten by the top guys very often as you have pointed out. But it does not make Del Potro a "Poor man's Soderling" as the one important thing Del Potro has over Soderling is the GS.

And one thing Soderling has over Del Po is the ability to play well in more than one season. They are about even.

rubbERR
10-21-2011, 05:11 PM
And one thing Soderling has over Del Po is the ability to play well in more than one season. They are about even.

Delpo = 4 years younger

This season = his comeback season, you never perform perfect in comeback seasons, just look Tiger Woods how crappy he is now.

But youre brainless, what do you know or understand? :lol:

Stronga23
10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
How can you be a poor man's anything when your the one that has a slam title and has made the YEC Final. I like Robin and he is a tremendous player but this statement is so untrue.

henke007
10-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Everyone should be sad that these 2 great players the true nr 5 and 6 i won't go into who is the best is sidelined by several injuries and now in Soda's case a Ancic kind of Mono!!

As we speak Tipsarevic is going into the top 10 with Almagro and Simon.

Delpo hopefully will be much better next year, Robin on the other hand won't be back to full gear before 2013 season probably :(

Rodre Fegassi
10-21-2011, 05:20 PM
yeh, as I said, Soderling can be in every single Grand Slam final from 2012 - 2020 (and lose tigth 5-setters in each one) and Delpo can lose in the 1st round of every slam from 2012- 2020 and Delpotro would still be regarded as infinitely the better player.

Once you've won your slam you can just relax and rest on your laurels - Delpo is never gonna challenge Fed or Nadal in the slam totals anyway. If he wins another slam, that is a bonus - but his work in his life is done. He will die happy and Soderling will die miserable.

DYJBAA
10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Why are people dissing my Safin comparisons to Del Potro when it's a fact that so far in his career that's where he's headed. Did you know that he was Safin's last match of his career?

Both won US Open at 20
Both are injury-confidence prone so far but when 100% health and confidence can beat anybody

And there is one undisputable fact that Del Potro has over Soderling. The best finals winning percentage among active Grand Slam champions

9 wins 3 losses, including the 2 finals he won this year despite being less than his peak

fifthsetshootout
10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I just wanted to reiterate what others have already said. The H2H between Soderling and Del Potro, combined with their similar styles of play, implies that Soderling is the poor man's Del Potro. If each player was at his best, Del Potro (fully restored after his injury lay-off) and Soderling (fully recovered from mono), I would give Del Potro the edge.

But I think calling Soderling a poor man's Del Potro is harsh. He may not have done what Del Potro was able to do (defeat Nadal and then defeat Federer the very next day), but he is not necessarily a poor man's JMDP. If Soderling were ranked 30 in the world, that would be a case for him being a poor man's Del Potro. But right now, they're just two players with very similar styles. I seriously question the logic of anyone who argues that Del Potro is the poor man's Soderling.

oomph
10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Game wise, Delpotro is superior to Soderling.

Who cares about the slam?

Beat
10-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Who cares about the slam?

errrm, most people?

MatchFederer
10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Del Potro is a poor man's envy.

shiaben
10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
I disagree with the thread. He's not a poor man's Soderling, more like the other way around.

Soderling has poor footwork.

Del Potro on the other hand is one of the better movers given his height.

Del Potro also does a better job ripping winners down the line, does this in higher frequency compared to Sod.

oomph
10-24-2011, 07:07 PM
errrm, most people?

Most people not being Einsteins.

And this is about their games.

Saberq
10-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Why are people dissing my Safin comparisons to Del Potro when it's a fact that so far in his career that's where he's headed. Did you know that he was Safin's last match of his career?

Both won US Open at 20
Both are injury-confidence prone so far but when 100% health and confidence can beat anybody

And there is one undisputable fact that Del Potro has over Soderling. The best finals winning percentage among active Grand Slam champions

9 wins 3 losses, including the 2 finals he won this year despite being less than his peak

Because Safin had GOAT talent while Del Potro is just bashing the ball hard ...if it's in you lose if not he will lose badly ...

rocketassist
10-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I disagree with the thread. He's not a poor man's Soderling, more like the other way around.

Soderling has poor footwork.

Del Potro on the other hand is one of the better movers given his height.

Del Potro also does a better job ripping winners down the line, does this in higher frequency compared to Sod.

Soderling beats him hands down on the winner count. However he also beats him by an even bigger distance in the unforced error count, which is why he's not the one with a GS title.

To win a slam nowadays you simply need athleticism and defensive skills (unless Nadal's in your way, in which case you need to be able to swing and not miss)

Mountaindewslave
10-25-2011, 03:59 AM
Del Potro = 1 GS
Soderling = 0 GS

Ummmm....not sure about Delpo being the inferior one.

player wise though. Del Potro has that 1 GS and little else. and talent wise, Soderling definitely hits a bigger cleaner ball when at his best and if you were going to negatively label the two, Juan is much more of a ballbasher than Robin. they play very similarly though it's an interesting comparison

Caesar1844
10-25-2011, 04:36 AM
One slam wonder.

Forget Slams and Masters. He should be worrying about whether he'll ever win another 500 tournament.

Topspindoctor
10-25-2011, 04:51 AM
One slam wonder.

Forget Slams and Masters. He should be worrying about whether he'll ever win another 500 tournament.

He won't :shrug:

ATP tournaments are for players with actual talent :shrug:

VolandriFan
10-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Because Safin had GOAT talent while Del Potro is just bashing the ball hard ...if it's in you lose if not he will lose badly ...

That's Soderling you're talking about. Del Potro can go hard down the middle with great consistency and defend until his opponent makes an error. That's why he's done so well against Soderling in their matches. :)

MuzzahLovah
10-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Safin makes Soda and DelPo look like brainless ballbashers.

DYJBAA
10-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Safin makes Soda and DelPo look like brainless ballbashers.

Brainless ballbashers do not go 9 for 12 in tournament finals, among those the US Open at his absolute best, and 2 titles in 2011 with him at less than his peak due to injury rust but still enough to beat the competition. Your boy did beat him for one of his finals losses but he still has by far the best finals winning percentage among those with the slam. He's on pace for Muster territory

Caesar1844
10-25-2011, 06:21 AM
The 'coming back from injury' excuse only works for so long. Look at the predictions you DelPo fanboys were making at the beginning of the year. A couple of spud 250 wins is pretty average, any way you slice it.

DYJBAA
10-25-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm no Del Potro fanboy, but you cannot dispute 9 for 12 in finals if one of them is a slam.

Caesar1844
10-25-2011, 06:33 AM
He's only won one tournament over 500 level, and nothing above 250 level in over 2 years.

The guy is a spud who got hot for a few months.

Topspindoctor
10-25-2011, 07:53 AM
He's only won one tournament over 500 level, and nothing above 250 level in over 2 years.

The guy is a spud who got hot for a few months.

Arguing with the fanboys is almost impossible :shrug:

Del Bashtro got hot for a couple of weeks, his luck being that Olderer was very arrogant and gifted him the match at the USO, otherwise the Argentine wouldn't even be talked about as a potential future slam candidate. His talent is weak and he won't be winning more slams or masters anytime soon. His delusional fanboys should look at the real picture: Del Potro is a brainless ballbasher who is vulnerable to any top 100 player on any given day :shrug:

Gabe32
10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't really get your logic.

Regardess, Del Potro is obviously on a different level when he is healthy. They are similar players in that they are both tall, have huge forehands (Delpo's is better), big serves (Delpo's is better) and strange movement/long windup.

I don't particularly like Del Potro, but of all the huge guys he easily has the most talent. He is much more than a big serve. The tour is better when he is around. Soderling, on the other hand, is good to get to a few finals and then gracefully gift Rafa/Fed/Nole the title.

Edit: Soderling has not beaten Delpo since 2007, by the way. An injured Delpo has beaten him twice in 2011.

Rodre Fegassi
10-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Delpotro has a slam.

That is literally the end of the argument.

Delpotro can not win another match in his career and Soderling can reach and lose every grand slam final from now until 2020 and people will still remember Delpotro as being the infinitely superior player - hell even if Soderling did accomplish that feat of reaching 36 consecutive grand slam finals, no one at all will remember him unless he wins one.

rubbERR
10-25-2011, 04:19 PM
The 'coming back from injury' excuse only works for so long. Look at the predictions you DelPo fanboys were making at the beginning of the year. A couple of spud 250 wins is pretty average, any way you slice it.

It doesnt work for brainless people(BrainlessSpinDoctor) It works people who does have brain.

Its tragic how much of a robot this TopSpinDoctor is, is he human? HELL No... SO someone fix him! He does just copy/paste same crap every thread. You can already see what he is doing next, thats because he is robot. :lol:

Again i bring Tiger Woods here, look where he is now because of all the problems.

Young 8
10-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Someone on these forums has described Del Potro as "WTA player with male power" - which I completely agree with and think it's a spot on description. The guy has tons of weaknesses, no plan B, injury prone and his mental toughness is overrated. He can't win a masters or even string together a few decent wins. His wins over Nadal and Federer in USO 2009 is something that fuels his mystic image amongst his tards. Truth is, the guy is a brainless ball basher no better than the likes of Korolev or Gabashvili who simply happened to be in the right place and at the right time. He'll never win a slam again or be back amongst the top 5. As far as I am concerned, late 2009 was an anomaly. He's a big hitter, but no more than a speedbump for elite players in R4 of a slam :shrug:

Sometimes I wonder if "freedom of speech" is really a good thing

Matt01
10-26-2011, 07:35 PM
player wise though. Del Potro has that 1 GS and little else. and talent wise, Soderling definitely hits a bigger cleaner ball when at his best and if you were going to negatively label the two, Juan is much more of a ballbasher than Robin. they play very similarly though it's an interesting comparison

Hmm...no.

This ia very nice stat but he was severely injured for almost the whole year 2010 which you apparently missed :rolleyes: :stupid:

Naudio Spanlatine
10-26-2011, 07:40 PM
this thread should be burned...............IMMEDIATELY:fiery::fiery:

_maxi
10-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Arguing with the fanboys is almost impossible :shrug:

Del Bashtro got hot for a couple of weeks, his luck being that Olderer was very arrogant and gifted him the match at the USO, otherwise the Argentine wouldn't even be talked about as a potential future slam candidate. His talent is weak and he won't be winning more slams or masters anytime soon. His delusional fanboys should look at the real picture: Del Potro is a brainless ballbasher who is vulnerable to any top 100 player on any given day :shrug:
LOL this guy has to be trolling. Del Potro was 200 in the world earlier this year, and now is #15. Give him more time.

rocketassist
10-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Hmm...no.

Err... yes. :lol:

Del Potro has better athleticism and defence than Soderling. They're all you need in today's game.

shiaben
10-27-2011, 12:50 AM
You know what.......I hope Del Potro and Soderling get each other (more than once and preferably at the slams). This will put an end to this debate ;)

allpro
10-27-2011, 12:56 AM
1 gs > 0 gs finals choker.

soderling is the poor man's delpotro.

jrm
10-27-2011, 12:58 AM
wasn't Soderling playing for years until making something out of his career :lol:

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-27-2011, 04:00 AM
Del Potro is an everage player but don't insult him by comparing him to someone like Soderling.

GS winners (Del Potro) are elite in comparison to GSless losers like Murray and Soderling.

Therefore

Del Potro > Gaudio > Soderling > Murray

Naudio Spanlatine
10-27-2011, 04:24 AM
sodickling was the hype pretty much since his "lucky" win against rafa, but ever since that win rafa won the next two to three meetings since then that shows you that that sodicklings win was a fluke:rolleyes:, but delpo was a danger zone for alot of players in 2009, jus ask the top 4:eek: :scared: