Stockholm R1 Nalbandian saves 2 MP.s def Malisse 4-6 7-6 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Stockholm R1 Nalbandian saves 2 MP.s def Malisse 4-6 7-6 7-6

henke007
10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
No thread :eek:

Epic match, Daveed saved 2 mps and Malisse made 4 str8 aces to 6-5 in the 3rd and lost a tight breaker..

Naudio Spanlatine
10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
OMFG how the HELL did i forgot to post it and i saw the match :o :ras:

But thx tho :yeah:

NALBY :worship: :worship: :worship:
especially on that beautiful dropshot of his to go up a double break in the 3rd set tiebreak:bowdown: :inlove:

Orka_n
10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
David :banana:
X-man :sad:

Sunset of Age
10-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Epic, indeed.
Terrible quality of a match, Nalbandian was atrocious in the first set until halfway the second, a genuine UE-machine. It was merely due to Malisse being even a bigger headcase completely losing it near the tail end of the 2nd set (I won't even go into that TB here, where he had the minibreak - or even two of them - and only needed to serve it out for the match :help: :o). Malisse should have finished it off right there, but completely lost his composure thereafter, handing Nalbandian an early break in the 3rd.

You might have thought it would be an easy victory for Nalby after that brainfart. Well, no, as Nalby showed his ability of choking just as well when serving for the match where he got broken once again by Malisse. :tape:
At least Nalby showed himself the lesser (or 'better', whatever you like, oops) of the two Choke Gods in the final set TB, but omg, what a hell of a match. :o

Johnny Groove
10-18-2011, 08:43 PM
2 of the more talented players of the last decade.

2 of the biggest headcases as well.

Schu
10-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Nalbandian may have a suckie serve, be a choker and lately may spend more time injured than he plays BUT VERY few can beat Nably in terms of point construction. He hits every ball with a purpose, even the errors (and sometimes there are many) are hit with the "right idea".

Watching Nalbandian, even on a so-so day, is like watching chess in motion. Hope the guy can stay healthy for a while, play a few matches in a row and get on another indoor roll.

Bravo Dave!!

Sham Kay
10-18-2011, 08:49 PM
This match speaks a thousand words about why they underachieved in their careers. Malisse losing this one speaks ten thousand more words.

The escape artist Nalby (there's irony in there somewhere) pulled it out somehow.

HeretiC
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Well, those 2 MPs were quite good rallies.

Sunset of Age
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
This match speaks a thousand words about why they underachieved in their careers. Malisse losing this one speaks ten thousand more words.

The escape artist Nalby (there's irony in there somewhere) pulled it out somehow.

Pretty accurate assesment as far as I'm concerned. :yeah:

jonas
10-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Mugfest really.
BTW, I hate it when umps are chicken shits, and replay unreturnable serves that is called out, but hawk eye shows is good.
It was a serve by Xavier at 5-5 in the second or something like that. Weak by Lars Graff.

Certinfy
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Only saw the second set TB from which Nalbandian was 2-5 down in. Crazy 2 match points, long rallies which I really do think Malisse will look back on and regret for being so tentative.

HeretiC
10-18-2011, 09:03 PM

He has done it few more times in the past, but also lost a few in the reverse role. I can't find the thread about players and saved MPs. :o

Harmless
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Weird match, both exciting and unimpressive, strangely.
That game in the first set when Dave was serving and 40-0 and Malisse started chipping at the score with a shot that was so precise I really can't even tell if it was skill or luck, was just inexplicable.

Dodig next, which looks okay, but my hopes for the classic Nalbandian indoor season dominance aren't very high after this display. :sad:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
epic mugging and choking from both of them. :facepalm: was disgusting to watch

ultros8
10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
This was a Grand Slam semi-final 9 years ago :eek:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-18-2011, 09:15 PM
This was a Grand Slam semi-final 9 years ago :eek:

They were completely different players. Not even similar.

Deivid23
10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Epic, indeed.
Terrible quality of a match, Nalbandian was atrocious in the first set until halfway the second, a genuine UE-machine. It was merely due to Malisse being even a bigger headcase completely losing it near the tail end of the 2nd set (I won't even go into that TB here, where he had the minibreak - or even two of them - and only needed to serve it out for the match :help: :o). Malisse should have finished it off right there, but completely lost his composure thereafter, handing Nalbandian an early break in the 3rd.

Nalbandian played pretty well in last points of the 2nd set tiebreaker and in the first game of the 3rd set to break tbh.

Björki
10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Daveeed :worship:

Sham Kay
10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
I remember well returning from school to watch the new generations young bucks on tour mixing it with the experienced veterans. Feels weird to watch these two now as the veterans being shifted aside..

Sunset of Age
10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Nalbandian played pretty well in last points of the 2nd set tiebreaker and in the first game of the 3rd set to break tbh.

Yep, have to agree with you here.

Stephan
10-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Nalbandian may have a suckie serve, be a choker and lately may spend more time injured than he plays BUT VERY few can beat Nably in terms of point construction. He hits every ball with a purpose, even the errors (and sometimes there are many) are hit with the "right idea".

Watching Nalbandian, even on a so-so day, is like watching chess in motion. Hope the guy can stay healthy for a while, play a few matches in a row and get on another indoor roll.

Bravo Dave!!

thanx 4 good comments...
hope Dave will improve in R2:)

Topspindoctor
10-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Clownbandian was always overrated as hell. Nice backhand, but not much else. Horrendous forehand, serve, non-existent fitness and love for fast food has derailed his career :o

Deivid23
10-19-2011, 05:00 AM
I saw some very good signs in Nalbandian, in some phases he started to dominate from the baseline hitting deep and hard shots, mixing it with angles (it hadn´t been the case in his last matches, he wasn´t able to impose his game surely bc of lack of fitness and match practice) and when you can see him running towards his right side and hitting good forehands when stretched you know he´s close to reach decent fitness. Quite a dangerous floater for next weeks and I expect him to hit peak form for Davis Cup final, it should be great fun and I wouldn´t really mind if Argentina finally wins DC tbh

ossie
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
mug fest. two players who couldve won slams if they stopped being mugs but now they are just fossils.

Roadmap
10-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Nalbandians supreme fitness will ensure he has plenty left in the tank for the next match.

Castafiore
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Malisse losing the match after having had two match points. :facepalm:

Is there any other way to react to this than with a NID? :awww:

nalbyfan
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Clownbandian was always overrated as hell. Nice backhand, but not much else. Horrendous forehand, serve, non-existent fitness and love for fast food has derailed his career :o

It's Armanishakira who is overrated as hell...
Good fight David, bring on Dodig

Hian-GOAT
10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
David :worship: So happy Malisse lost :yeah: Horrible guy/person/player.

MariaV
10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I saw some very good signs in Nalbandian, in some phases he started to dominate from the baseline hitting deep and hard shots, mixing it with angles (it hadn´t been the case in his last matches, he wasn´t able to impose his game surely bc of lack of fitness and match practice) and when you can see him running towards his right side and hitting good forehands when stretched you know he´s close to reach decent fitness. Quite a dangerous floater for next weeks and I expect him to hit peak form for Davis Cup final, it should be great fun and I wouldn´t really mind if Argentina finally wins DC tbh

I wouldn't mind it either. It was shocking for them to lose the DC final in BsAs but Fer y Feli were unstoppable then! :p
FitDave is phenomenal! :awww:

Eden
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM

He also had troubles with his health, including a hip injury which needed surgery. Players are usually never the same when they come back from this kind of injury (Kuerten comes to mind).

It's too bad that one of these players had to lose this match. Hopefully Nalby can go far in the tournament now :)

Voo de Mar
10-19-2011, 09:35 PM
I guess it's interesting that Malisse didn't lose a match on the tour after wasting a match point through 8 years! The previous match he lost that way occurred in February 2003, it was his 70th tournament (Milan, lost to Varlet), in Stockholm played his tournament no. 222 (in the meantime lost 8 matches being two points away).

rocketassist
10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Hope Nalby wins the tournament.

tennishero
10-20-2011, 12:27 AM
good win for david, long time since he didnt scrap out a match like this