Rank tournaments in order of prestige [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rank tournaments in order of prestige

EddceLLent
10-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Thought it'd be interesting to ask what people think the most prestigiuous tournaments are. I'm sure most people would put slams first but after that how would you rank the following kinds of tournaments in terms of prestige:

Grand slams
Davis Cup
Olympics
WTF
Masters
....or anything else you think deserves to be in this list

I'd say:

1.) Slams
2.) Davis Cup
3.) WTF
4.) Olympics
5.) Masters

rickcastle
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
1. Slams
2. WTF
3. Olympics
4. Davis Cup
5. Masters

Roadmap
10-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Queens>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All the other tournaments.

manadrainer
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Now watch Fedtards and Rafatards move up and down respectively WTF and Olympics/Davis cup.

Saberq
10-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Slams
WTF
Masters
Davis Cup
O
MM aka Murray tournaments

Action Jackson
10-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Grand Slam
Davis Cup
Olympics

The rest put in whatever order.

Kafelnikov TMS events are just warm ups for the Slams.

bjurra
10-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Anyone placing WTF 2nd must be a complete idiot.

The only real question here is Davis Cup or Olympics 2nd. Actually, I think some players might prefer winning an Olympic gold to winning a GS. Would Massu have become such an hero if he had won a GS?

Time Violation
10-17-2011, 01:40 PM

The only real question here is Davis Cup or Olympics 2nd. Actually, I think some players might prefer winning an Olympic gold to winning a GS. Would Massu have become such an hero if he had won a GS?

Good point. You get a (serious) shot at Olympics maybe once or twice in a career, three times if really lucky, so that's definitely harder than anything else. :)

Snowwy
10-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Slams
Olympics
WTF
Davis Cup
Masters

Action Jackson
10-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Kafelnikov even got more appreciation for his Olympic title. I think 2 Slams, Olympic Gold and a DC easily makes up for the fact he never won a TMS event or the TMC, the ones who put a TMS event in front of DC and Olympics, well they're special.

BroTree123
10-17-2011, 01:50 PM
There's no such thing as a bad tournament, if your looking across every player on the tour. But most to least prestigious is hard. I'd say:

1. Slams / Davis Cup (both equally mean a lot IMO -- making the history books, and a chance to make your Country proud -- both highly memorable for the player)
2. Olympics (only happens every 4 years -- also mean's the world to win Gold; again doing something for your Country and being remembered for it)
3. World Tour finals (still great, but probably NOT as likely to be remembered in the history books as above -- but still memorable in a way of solidifying yourself as one the world's best)
4. MS1000 (fairly large tourneys, not likely remembered to be something huge, but they give valuable $$$$ and ranking points -- essentially more of a "springboard" to do well and have potential for the more prestigious tourney's listed above)
5. The rest...

Apologies for my essay, but that's my opinion :rolleyes:

abraxas21
10-17-2011, 02:13 PM
from the most prestigious to the least:

1: viña del mar (king of tournaments)
2-100: others

abraxas21
10-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Slams
Olympics
WTF
Davis Cup
Masters

i disagree about the olympics being ahead of the WTF. no offense but only nadaltards feel that way :hug:

rocketassist
10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Newport
Casablanca
Grand Slams
WTF
Olympics
TMS

DC is anywhere depending on your contribution to that team's success. A bit part clown like Boredo winning it was meaningless and belongs at the bottom.

TMJordan
10-17-2011, 02:28 PM
1.Serbian Open
2.Slams
3.Davis Cup
4.Olympics

MaxPower
10-17-2011, 02:37 PM
1) Stockholm Open
2) WTF
3) Slams
4) Masters
5) DC
5) Olympics (Don't think tennis should be an olympic sport...)

ossie
10-17-2011, 02:56 PM
slams>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>masters

the rest dont mean shit

Time Violation
10-17-2011, 02:59 PM
1.Serbian Open
2.Slams
3.Davis Cup
4.Olympics

/thread

The Magician
10-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Olympics is a joke. WTF may be a joke now but at one time it was more important than the slams or at least the Australian Open. Even now it's far more important than the Olympics which has no history, a terrible selection system for the draw, best of 3, and no consistency. Surface changes every time so even disregarding all the other things that make it a joke it's more like an exho since it can only be played once. No one was talking about the Olympics when it was Massu vs Fish in the final, now that Nadull won it the tards come out and pretend it matters :o Olympics belongs with that half clay half grass Fed-Nadull match in history, pathetic to see even the mods pretending like Nadull deserves any credit for winning it, let alone it being above the WTF :help:

Pirata.
10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Wimbledon
AO/RG/USO
Masters Cup
Olympics
Masters

Davis Cup is a group competition, you can't really classify it with the others unless we are including World Team Tennis in this. Any random mug can win a Davis Cup trophy without playing a single rubber, if he teammates do all the hard work. The other events are based on your own merits and skills. Not saying this as a Fed fan, because a lot of my other favourite players are very devoted to Davis Cup (Ferrer, for example) but it's in a separate category to the individual events.

fast_clay
10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Newport
Some N00b tourney
Shanghai

Chirag
10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Wimbledon
AO/RG/USO
Masters Cup
Olympics
Masters

Davis Cup is a group competition, you can't really classify it with the others unless we are including World Team Tennis in this. Any random mug can win a Davis Cup trophy without playing a single rubber, if he teammates do all the hard work. The other events are based on your own merits and skills. Not saying this as a Fed fan, because a lot of my other favourite players are very devoted to Davis Cup (Ferrer, for example) but it's in a separate category to the individual events.

I agree with you but people will call you and me idiots for having an opinion contrasting to thiers .1 already has :rolleyes:

Masters cup is a very important event since you have to beat the best from the start to the end to win it :)

Pirata.
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
No one was talking about the Olympics when it was Massu vs Fish in the final, now that Nadull won it the tards come out and pretend it matters :o

A good point :lol:

Haelfix
10-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Slams, Davis Cup, WTF, Olympics, Masters

Davis Cup has gone down in importance in recent decades (b/c of how retarded the ATP tour is with their scheduling and the lack of top players playing), but still historically it was incredibly important. The olympics is new, and the WTF has come into relatively modern prominence.

Sapeod
10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Isn't this simple?

Usually:

Wim>>>USO>>>>RG/AO>>>>>>>>>WTF>>>>>>>>>Masters>>>>>>>>Olympics/500>>>>>Davis Cup/250.

Start da Game
10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
for what they mean in history books and for the toughness of achieving them,

1. grandslams

2. davis cup

3. olympic gold

4. masters series

world tour finals is an absolute chicken shit tournament not even at the level of masters events......i am not even considering it a separate entity, categorizing it under masters series......a tournament conducted at the fag end of the season with a playing field of 8 and all of them jaded, does not bode well for stature......

EddieNero
10-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Zagreb
Bucharest
Davis Cup
Olympics
Masters
Mug slams

The Magician
10-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Isn't this simple?

Usually:

Wim>>>USO>>>>RG/AO>>>>>>>>>WTF>>>>>>>>>Masters>>>>>>>>Olympics/500>>>>>Davis Cup/250.

It's this and you even specified the slam order :yeah:

1. grandslams

2. davis cup

3. olympic gold

4. masters series

world tour finals is an absolute chicken shit tournament not even at the level of masters events......i am not even considering it a separate entity, categorizing it under masters series......a tournament conducted at the fag end of the season with a playing field of 8 and all of them jaded, does not bode well for stature......

Wow surely it's a coincidence these are the tournaments Nadull has had the most to the least success :eek: PS the only one who is jaded is Nadull because he knows he's one of the worst indoors players in history :wavey:

Start da Game
10-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Wow surely it's a coincidence these are the tournaments Nadull has had the most to the least success :eek: PS the only one who is jaded is Nadull because he knows he's one of the worst indoors players in history :wavey:

get over the blind love for chicken shit tournaments, magician......world tour finals is conducted just to keep fans busy watching some shit or the other in the off season......that way they can also make some money without too much expenditure from their side......they found one dark indoor court somewhere in london for cheap, only 8 players and round robin format.....you can lose your first two matches and still win the tournament......is that even a tournament?

Foxy
10-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Monte Carlo
Roland Garros
Rome
Madrid
Vamos

Snowwy
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
i disagree about the olympics being ahead of the WTF. no offense but only nadaltards feel that way :hug:

I thought hard about it, but I think since it happens once every 4 years, it is tougher to win and that bumps it up a bit. At no point in my post do I talk about players, I am not interested in comparing players here.

The Magician
10-17-2011, 04:22 PM
get over the blind love for chicken shit tournaments, magician......world tour finals is conducted just to keep fans busy watching some shit or the other in the off season......that way they can also make some money without too much expenditure from their side......they found one dark indoor court somewhere in london for cheap, only 8 players and round robin format.....you can lose your first two matches and still win the tournament......is that even a tournament?

You won't get me to defend round robin but the WTF is still the second most important after the slams even though it was even worse when Fed was winning it in Shanghai and nobody was in the arena. Olympics is a joke, Davis cup is like the home run derby of tennis, and even the prestigious masters like Maimi are a joke now. In fact baseball is a good comparison, nobody cares about the olympics in either sport except backwards countries and desperate nationalist tards, and baseball is a team sport with an individual event that nobody cares about and tennis is an individual sport with a team event that matters even less. Nadulltards would hype Hopman cup as the most important event if Nadull ever won it :o

The Magician
10-17-2011, 04:30 PM
I thought hard about it, but I think since it happens once every 4 years, it is tougher to win and that bumps it up a bit. At no point in my post do I talk about players, I am not interested in comparing players here.

The hit for Haiti only happened once ever, surely it's above even the slams because it's impossible to ever win again :o Oh wait, Nadull's team lost that event. Surely it's just a coincidence that you've chosen events that Nadull has done better at against those he's done worse at, it's not like the Olympics has a prestigious history of winners such as Massu, Kafelnikov, Rosset, and of course the greatest players in history the Doherty brothers. What a GOAT list :worship:

EddieNero
10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah, suddenly WTF appears as an useless tournament, and even more shockingly Nadal has never won over there.
The only really jaded player among WTF competitors is obviously Rafa, because he's the single one who played real tennis throughout the season, while the whole rest of mugs were on holiday.

Pirata.
10-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I thought hard about it, but I think since it happens once every 4 years, it is tougher to win and that bumps it up a bit.

I think that's silly. Olympics come once every four years but there's still a large field and anyone inside the top, what, 50 can enter? Masters Cup you have to actually work hard to even get into the top 8 to be worthy of getting to the tournament and you can't rely on mugs to fluke wins over higher ranked players to open up the draw for you at the Olympics or even Masters series; in WTF, you actually have to play at least three other top players

The Magician
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Here's a little Olympic history for you. Even when tennis was not a sport and more of a recreational activity in the early 1900s, not only were the olympics considered a minor event, only 2 nations participated in 1904 (35 players from the USA, 1 from Germany :lol:) and the games reached a max of 14 nations before it was decided nobody cared. Unlike Davis Cup which has gone from important to ignored in different eras, the Olympics has no history, has never mattered, and has never been worth jack shit. Considering it even masters 1000 level is an insult and only the worst Nadulltards would dream it, it's a good way to sniff them out :yeah:

A high quality men's tournament saw three past or future Wimbledon champions reach the semi-finals. Lawrence Doherty reached the final when older brother Reggie stepped aside and let his sibling advance to the final. The two refused to play other in what they considered a minor tournament. On the 11th of July a landmark was reached in the history of the Olympic Games. Charlotte Cooper, already three times Wimbledon champion, took both singles and mixed doubles championships to become the first female Olympic champion.

Back then they were honest about fixing draws :p

Roadmap
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Start Da Game :haha: :superlol: I wonder if your opinions on the WTF/Masters Cup would be different if Nadull had won the tournament on five occasions instead of never? :rolleyes:

Snowwy
10-17-2011, 04:41 PM
The hit for Haiti only happened once ever, surely it's above even the slams because it's impossible to ever win again :o Oh wait, Nadull's team lost that event. Surely it's just a coincidence that you've chosen events that Nadull has done better at against those he's done worse at, it's not like the Olympics has a prestigious history of winners such as Massu, Kafelnikov, Rosset, and of course the greatest players in history the Doherty brothers. What a GOAT list :worship:

Can you explain to me how some great players never winning an event is related to an events prestige?

If all that matters is having a top ranked player winning, wouldn't Belgrade be one of the most prestigous tournament then? It has been won by a player who reached #1 66% of the time over its history.

Also, Nadal has won 4 of the 5 things we were ranking, would you be making this post in any case except for if I had put the WTF first? I'm a little frightened with your obsession with Mr. Nadal, this thread had nothing to do with him or any other player for that matter, yet you must bring him into the conversation.

Snowwy
10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I think that's silly. Olympics come once every four years but there's still a large field and anyone inside the top, what, 50 can enter? Masters Cup you have to actually work hard to even get into the top 8 to be worthy of getting to the tournament and you can't rely on mugs to fluke wins over higher ranked players to open up the draw for you at the Olympics or even Masters series; in WTF, you actually have to play at least three other top players

That's true, but what if you peak in the years 2007, 2008 and 2009. You could win 3 WTFs, yet no Olympic medals since the Olympics are not held in those years. You have to remember, we are not talking about what is harder to win (cuz that is certainly the WTF) but we are talking about what is more prestigious.

That said, I am not against switching the Olympics and the WTF, they are very close I think.

Sapeod
10-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Ypu're just angry and upset that Nadal has never won it :kiss:

If Nadal had won it last year, you'd be saying how it's on par with the slams :rolleyes:

Typical Start da Game :haha: :haha:

Pirata.
10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
we are talking about what is more prestigious.

In that case, it's definitely Masters Cup, by a long shot ;)

Mountaindewslave
10-17-2011, 04:48 PM
slams>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>masters

the rest dont mean shit

this but the world tour finals do mean something. OLYMPICS hasn't even involved tennis for very long AND the Davis Cup is a joke, many players don't even participate on odd years

Snowwy
10-17-2011, 04:49 PM
In that case, it's definitely Masters Cup, by a long shot ;)

Maybe it is, it would be very interesting if a reporter could ask a player about this. Maybe a player ranked in the top 5, one in the top 20, one 50th in the world and one 200th in the world and see if there answers vary.

EddieNero
10-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I guess we can create a list of prestigous tournaments:

All Slams
M1000: IW,Monte Carlo, Rome, Madrid, Hamburg,Toronto
500: Dubai, Tokyo, Barcelona, Acapulco
250: Queens, Stuttgart, Bastad, Beijing, Costa Do Sauipe, Sopot
Davis Cup
Beijing 2008 Olympics

What do they all have in common?

Sapeod
10-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Translation of the text below:
for what they mean in history books and for the toughness of achieving them
lets see if nadal has won them...

1. grandslams
nadal has 10...................and beat federina in the final of rg this year...............so slams are obviously #1
2. davis cup
nadal...........i mean spain have won davis cup................so it's great
3. olympic gold
nadal is the current holder of the olympic gold................so it's great
4. masters series
nadal doesn't have many masters titles recently........so they go at the bottom
nadal hasn't won wtf yet........so it's an unnecessary tournament....................and goes at the bottom

alter ego
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
@the mugs who say Davis Cup > WTF:

How many of you saw Federer versus Nadull WTF final? How many of you saw from start to finish the epic mugathron between Troicki and Llodra?

_Chaz
10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Davis Cup is a team event, thus it can't be compared with the other tournaments.

1. Slams
2. WTF
3. Olympics
4. Masters

Olympics and WTF are almost as equal I think. The Olympics because it's only played every 4th year and you also play for your country, and the WTF because it's the best 8 guys of the year battling it out against each other. But still I'd give the edge to the World Tour Finals.

The Magician
10-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Can you explain to me how some great players never winning an event is related to an events prestige?

If all that matters is having a top ranked player winning, wouldn't Belgrade be one of the most prestigous tournament then? It has been won by a player who reached #1 66% of the time over its history.

Also, Nadal has won 4 of the 5 things we were ranking, would you be making this post in any case except for if I had put the WTF first? I'm a little frightened with your obsession with Mr. Nadal, this thread had nothing to do with him or any other player for that matter, yet you must bring him into the conversation.

Yeah except the controversy is over putting the WTF, which for many years was the indoors 4th slam over the Australian Open and has had every great player of the last 30 years win (and is an essential part of tennis history) against the Olympics which was not even ranked until 2004 and was considered a joke until Nadull coincidentally won. That couldn't be a part of it, you must be talking about the long history of great champions, legendary matches, and evolution along with the changing game which it doesn't have :tape:

The WTF could even be considered more important than a slam, really the only argument against it is determining how the WCT vs WTF vs Grand Slam Cup affects the legacy, how switching it to best of 3 sets, implementing round robin, and making it slow as ass affects it for the future. Talking about the WTF is interesting but the Olympics is not even in the same league as it, really this was undisputed until Nadull won. The historical revisionism here knows no bounds :rolleyes:

anutam
10-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Slams
Olympics
WTF
Davis Cup
Masters

TBkeeper
10-17-2011, 06:23 PM
..... a clear thread i am nor fan of Nadal nor Federer nor Djokovic ..... so i can give objective opinions i think it is
1. SLAMS !
2. WTF !
3. OLYMPICS !
4. DAVIS CUP !
5. MASTERS !

Roadmap
10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
The futures event that was supposed to take place in Minsk, Belarus this week (before being cancelled) is more important than the Olympics.

Henry Kaspar
10-17-2011, 06:39 PM
1 Wimbledon
2 (tied) French, US Open
4 Australian Open

nothing
nothing
nothing
nothing
nothing

The stuff Andy Murray tends to win.

Moozza
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Masters
Olympics
Davis cup
Slams
WTF

MIMIC
10-17-2011, 06:49 PM
1. WTF
2. Olympics
3. Slams
4. Davis Cup
5. Exhibitions
6. Masters

Johnny Groove
10-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Slams
Davis Cup
Year End Masters
Olympics
Masters 1000's
500's
250's

It is difficult to quantify which of Davis Cup, Olympics, and WTF is more important.

Certainly in the pre-Open Era, Davis Cup was the most important, even over some of the slams. Davis Cup has since become a bit of a joke in the last decade or so due to clownish scheduling by the powers that be. It is still massively important. Just as Djokovic what it did for him winning it last year.

From 1896 to the 1920's, the Olympics were pretty important, but then it went away until the 1988. Only in the last 2 decades or so has it revived its prestige somewhat.

As for the YEC, that also has only been around since I believe the early 70's, late 60's, but its importance has waned in the last couple of years (blame the ATP). In the 80's and 90's, the YEC was massive.

janko05
10-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Now watch Fedtards and Rafatards move up and down respectively WTF and Olympics/Davis cup.

:haha::haha:

Paylu2007
10-17-2011, 07:08 PM

1. grandslams

2. davis cup

3. olympic gold

4. masters series

from a rafa fan... I guess that guy on the first posts was right. well :rolleyes:

janko05
10-17-2011, 07:13 PM
1 Wimbledon
2 (tied) French, US Open
4 Australian Open

Exactly

Roadmap
10-17-2011, 07:16 PM
The futures event that was supposed to take place in Minsk, Belarus this week (before being cancelled) is more important than the Olympics.

This.

Start da Game
10-17-2011, 07:31 PM
blind breed obsession with world toast finals aka wtf is just as bad as their obsession with the number 16......can you tell me without checking on web how many wtf titles does sampras, becker, mcenroe, borg and agassi have? nobody remembers and even if somebody remembers, nobody cares......

world toast finals are a little more than an exhibition event and less than a 250 event.....it's all about history of the tournament, not prize money or hype......a tiny 250 event like queens has 120 years of history......olympics has thousands of years of history......what history does wtf have? no stable place, small structure, small field and one tennis court......

Roadmap
10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
blind breed obsession with world toast finals aka wtf is just as bad as their obsession with the number 16......can you tell me without checking on web how many wtf titles does sampras, becker, mcenroe, borg and agassi have? nobody remembers and even if somebody remembers, nobody cares......

world toast finals are a little more than an exhibition event and less than a 250 event.....it's all about history of the tournament, not prize money or hype......a tiny 250 event like queens has 120 years of history......olympics has thousands of years of history......what history does wtf have? no stable place, small structure, small field and one tennis court......

One more thing about WTF. Nadull's never won it :nerner:

abraxas21
10-17-2011, 07:43 PM
olympics has thousands of years of history......

tennis in the olympics has only a few years of history

abraxas21
10-17-2011, 07:44 PM

that alone makes the event more prestigious

arm
10-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I would like to understand what's the big deal about the Olympics. :shrug: Played only since 1988, I believe. every 4 years, and far from being one of the highlights of the Olympics... I just don't get it. But there must be something very special about it, even the players can't stop mentioning it. But i just don't see it. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I do love the Olympics, but tennis has nothing to do with it. :lol:

Start da Game
10-17-2011, 07:47 PM

he's going to win it next month or after 13 months, once for the heck of winning it......he or his fans don't really care about world toast finals......

Start da Game
10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
tennis in the olympics has only a few years of history

does not matter......associated history is too big......

abraxas21
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
I would like to understand what's the big deal about the Olympics. :shrug: Played only since 1988, I believe. every 4 years, and far from being one of the highlights of the Olympics... I just don't get it. But there must be something very special about it, even the players can't stop mentioning it. But i just don't see it. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I do love the Olympics, but tennis has nothing to do with it. :lol:

i like tennis in the olympics but to say it is prestigious is bollocks

it has little history and it's place in the olympics is not particularly important when compared to a lot of other sports. in point of fact, unless you're living in serbia, the olympics help us to remind us how unimportant tennis is in the big scheme of world sports.

Sapeod
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
People are putting Davis Cup and Olympics above masters titles?? And even WTF??? You're all completely and utterly wrong :facepalm:

Sapeod
10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
does not matter......associated history is too big......
If Nadal had no slams and the olympic gold, you'd put the olympics above slams, so your opinion isn't really important here.

delboy
10-17-2011, 07:55 PM
1. Slams

*big gap*

2. Masters

Olympics, WTF, Davis Cup who gives a shit. mug events.

arm
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
i like tennis in the olympics but to say it is prestigious is bollocks

it has little history and it's place in the olympics is not particularly important when compared to a lot of other sports. in point of fact, unless you're living in serbia, the olympics help us to remind us how unimportant tennis is in the big scheme of world sports.

Exactly :shrug: I don't get why everyone is so hyped!... I don't remember people talking about tennis in the Olympics back in 2000 or even 2004. But after 2008 -> BANG! Olympics this, olympics that. :confused:

Start da Game
10-17-2011, 08:00 PM
If Nadal had no slams and the olympic gold, you'd put the olympics above slams, so your opinion isn't really important here.

olympics is the mother of all sporting events and waste any individual sport on earth with regards to history......they might not be commercially huge but the history and aura they carry is quite immense......

djokovic did not cry when he lost slam finals......he cried when he lost olympic semifinal......murray and fed cried in slam finals, just imagine what will it be like if they lose an olympic final......you see all murray, fed, djokovic yearning for a gold medal, not for a world toast final......

Roadmap
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Exactly :shrug: I don't get why everyone is so hyped!... I don't remember people talking about tennis in the Olympics back in 2000 or even 2004. But after 2008 -> BANG! Olympics this, olympics that. :confused:

Uncle Toni is in control of the International Olympic committee. He bought his stake in 2007 :mad:

Pirata.
10-17-2011, 08:45 PM
According to SdG, the Olympics is the pinnacle event for any sport involved.

Olympic Gold in football > World Cup :worship:

Start da Game
10-17-2011, 08:52 PM
According to SdG, the Olympics is the pinnacle event for any sport involved.

Olympic Gold in football > World Cup :worship:

even that is true in case of paralympics......fifa can never organize something like paralympics in as big a fashion as olympic committee does.....

jonas
10-17-2011, 08:58 PM
If there was to be a poll among the ATP top 100 players, my guess is that the result would be:

1. GS
2. Olympic Gold
3. Davis Cup
4. WTF
5. Masters

The reason that they would put the olympics and the DC over the WTF is that they play for their country even more i those events, and thus mean more. For them.
Heck, Federer would probably put Basel as the second most important tournament after Wimby for him...
That, in my book, doesn't mean they actually mean more in terms of achievments, when you are going to compare different players careers, for instance.

For me, tennis is an individual sport, and I rank the tournaments as:
1. GS
2. WTF
3. Olympic gold
4. Masters
5. Davis Cup

Chase Visa
10-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Slams
DC
WTF
Olympics
Masters

Mateya
10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
1.Umag
2.Moscow
3.Bangkok
4.GS
5.DC

cobalt60
10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
GS
Davis Cup
Olympics
Masters
WTF

Dave1990
10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Grand Slams
Olympics
Davis Cup
World Tour Finals
Masters Series

Pirata.
10-17-2011, 09:13 PM
even that is true in case of paralympics......fifa can never organize something like paralympics in as big a fashion as olympic committee does.....

:spit:

arm
10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
olympics is the mother of all sporting events and waste any individual sport on earth with regards to history......they might not be commercially huge but the history and aura they carry is quite immense......

djokovic did not cry when he lost slam finals......he cried when he lost olympic semifinal......murray and fed cried in slam finals, just imagine what will it be like if they lose an olympic final......you see all murray, fed, djokovic yearning for a gold medal, not for a world toast final......

:cuckoo: Djokovic said after winning DC that it was the most important title he had ever won, even bigger than AO title. :lol: So DC > Slams? :confused: Obviously this guys wants to represent his country the best way possible and be a good ambassador. That's why he cried, he wanted to give Serbia the gold medal badly. And also because he knew he was the best hard court player and shouldn't have lost that one match in particular. (This last part is not really relevant but I am just adding it to mess with you a bit more. :lol:)

Yolita
10-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Prestige in general:
GS
Olympic gold
DC
WTF
Masters

Importance for Novak:
DC (Because it's for your country and as a team)
Olympic gold (Because it's for your country)
GS
WTF
Masters

DrJules
10-17-2011, 11:39 PM
For individual events:

Slams
Year End Masters
Olympics
Masters 1000's
500's
250's

For team events:

Davis Cup

Seems everybody places GS first, but plenty of variability for other events.

guga2120
10-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Slams- Roland Garros-1, Wimbedon-2
Davis Cup
WTF
Monte Carlo
Indian Wells
Rome
The other master series, excluding Madrid
Olympics :confused:- Not historically important, certainly does not compare to a tournnament like Rome. Tennis is not an olympic sport, or should not be. Like golf being in the olympics

Estoril
Madrid

Kafelnikov TMS events are just warm ups for the Slams.

:lol:

That's b/c he couldn't win one.

Topspindoctor
10-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Slams
Olympics
Master's Cup
DC
Masters 1000
500's
250's

iriraz
10-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Olympics is important in other sports like athletics,swimming where the sport lives for it but tennis doesn`t have a great history in Olympics.We`ve seen top players in the past skip Olympics just to prepare better for the Us Open playing a tournament in Washington for example.
Davis Cup has the history but certainly it`s not a big priority for a top player to win it unless he is from a country that has a shot at it.There is no way Murray will ever win Davis Cup in his career just like Federer.
When it comes to tennis the big events all top players wanna win are the Slams followed by the Masters Cup.Everything else is a bonus

Say Hey Kid
10-18-2011, 05:51 AM
Olympics definitely does not have as much meaning to it as some other sports, but it still is way above WTF. Ask any of the top 8 which they would rather have a WTF final title, or an olympic gold medal? I'd bet my bottom dollar at least 6/8 would go with an olympic gold medal, and every single one of the big four.

Capturing a WTF title is great accomplishment, but it doesn't have the meaning it once had. I'm ranking DC ahead of WTF. I'm not a huge fan of DC personally, but to the players it surely means more. Watch the reaction of Djokovic and Nadal after capturing a DC title for their country, I don't think anyone would argue they would be more emotional after winning WTF.

1. Slams
2. Olympic Gold
3. Davis Cup
4. WTF

n8
10-18-2011, 06:28 AM
I can't decide. The reasons being that Davis Cup is too circumstantial and Olympic tradition.

For example, if a player only plays a live doubles rubber in the 1st round of Davis Cup and his team ends up winning the whole thing, that counts as a Davis Cup trophy for that player.

What makes the Olympics so special is its scarcity. If it were held every year I don't think players would value it as much.

Pirata.
10-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Olympics = glorified masters tournament :shrug:

What makes the Olympics so special is its scarcity. If it were held every year I don't think players would value it as much.

And then you have guys like Roddick who don't even value it every four years :lol:

Topspindoctor
10-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Olympics = glorified masters tournament :shrug:

Not really.

Olympics is not, maybe, about individual achievement, but it's about history and performing for your country on the biggest and oldest sports tournament on the planet. Furthermore it happens every 4 years, so a tennis player really only has a couple of chances during his/her peak to capture the medal.

It's not CLOSE to masters 1000 in prestige. No tennis player on the planet would take a m1000 title over Olympic gold.

Nole Rules
10-18-2011, 08:48 AM
1. ACC
2. Slams
3. WTF
4. Olympics
5. Masters
6. Davis Cup

Alex999
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
1. ACC
2. Slams
3. WTF
4. Olympics
5. Masters
6. Davis Cup
this, I love it :D

Getta
10-18-2011, 10:56 AM
GS
Davis Cup
Olympics
Masters
WTF

i couldn't agree more with what you've written, so my hats off to you.

Getta
10-18-2011, 11:04 AM

1. grandslams

2. davis cup

3. olympic gold

4. masters series

hmm, why does it feel like i'm still wearing those hats after i took them off?

Dmitry Verdasco
10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
If it were me....

Olympics
Wimbledon
Australian Open
Davis Cup
Roland Garros
US Open
WTF
Brisbane :hearts:

barbadosan
10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Grand Slams
WTF - the Grand Master of all Masters
Masters
Olympics
Davis Cup team competition.

One notes that baseball, which was added to the Olympic sports schedule just one Olympics after tennis was re-added, has now been dropped for next year. The danger for tennis, and all other sports not firmly entrenched in the Olympics schedule, is that when lobbying for new sports, or the re-adding of formerly dropped sports, is successful, other sports could find themselves out in the cold, since I believe the Olympic cap allows for the hosting of only 28* sports.

*subject to correction.

emotion
10-18-2011, 01:55 PM
How can anyone put Masters ahead of either Olympics or WTF?

Boris Franz Ecker
10-18-2011, 02:14 PM
Olympics definitely does not have as much meaning to it as some other sports, but it still is way above WTF. Ask any of the top 8 which they would rather have a WTF final title, or an olympic gold medal? I'd bet my bottom dollar at least 6/8 would go with an olympic gold medal, and every single one of the big four.

Capturing a WTF title is great accomplishment, but it doesn't have the meaning it once had. I'm ranking DC ahead of WTF. I'm not a huge fan of DC personally, but to the players it surely means more. Watch the reaction of Djokovic and Nadal after capturing a DC title for their country, I don't think anyone would argue they would be more emotional after winning WTF.

1. Slams
2. Olympic Gold
3. Davis Cup
4. WTF

Historically nonsense, since olympic champions were rather 2nd class players.
Even when Agassi won, Sampras wasn't even present since he didn't care for olympics.
Chang wasn't present, Becker...
No real top player apart from Agassi.
And the WTF has surely gained importance in last years, since now it is relatively seen the biggest tournament in the world.
How much spectators are at olympic tennis tournament?
Sometimes zero.
For doubles of course, olympics is by far the biggest thing. The field is much stronger than at any other tournament. It's not even comparable.

If it depends on emotions the Davis Cup would be the biggest thing by far.

Rodre Fegassi
10-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Not really.

Olympics is not, maybe, about individual achievement, but it's about history and performing for your country on the biggest and oldest sports tournament on the planet. Furthermore it happens every 4 years, so a tennis player really only has a couple of chances during his/her peak to capture the medal.

It's not CLOSE to masters 1000 in prestige. No tennis player on the planet would take a m1000 title over Olympic gold.

nah, no-one cares about the olympics.

By your logic, what if Murray flukes the olympics on home turf. People would have to give Murray credit for that - but not if the olympics are moot, which they are.

How many slams you get is the only stat that matters about tennis players. Everything else is totally irrelevant. Hence Federer is the greatest, Nadal will soon become either greatest or 2nd greatest at very least, and Djokovic at the moment is a flash in the pan, but may become 3rd greatest if he keeps it up.

pesto
10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
It seems like an evolving question. I've never been keen on tennis in the Olympics. With such low points available, an awkward spot in the summer schedule, and no history in the Games, it always seemed like an afterthought.

But for the first time, a buzz seems to be building around the 2012 Olympic tournament. Maybe because it's at Wimbledon, because it's one of the few things missing from Fed's palmares, and it's probably his last chance, because there's a plausible home favourite... etc.

Meanwhile, I think the Davis Cup has certainly diminished in status from its glory days.

The Magician
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
this, I love it :D

Good, you may have an outside shot this year :yeah:

abraxas21
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
noletards love the ACC because that's the only tournament they have a chance to succeed at :D

arm
10-18-2011, 10:27 PM
noletards love the ACC because that's the only tournament they have a chance to succeed at :D

I am not very familiar with the whole thing, but I don't think "we" do that well in that contest. :scratch: :lol:

Pirata.
10-18-2011, 11:09 PM
1. ACC
2. Slams
3. WTF
4. Olympics
5. Masters
6. Davis Cup

/thread

I am not very familiar with the whole thing, but I don't think "we" do that well in that contest. :scratch: :lol:

We'll see this year, but last year the finalists were Start da Game and Federer's Mate :lol:

Clydey
10-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Kafelnikov even got more appreciation for his Olympic title. I think 2 Slams, Olympic Gold and a DC easily makes up for the fact he never won a TMS event or the TMC, the ones who put a TMS event in front of DC and Olympics, well they're special.

Davis Cup is a team event. It has been won by many average players as a result.

Slams
Olympics
WTF
Masters
Davis Cup.

mark73
10-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Canadian open
Slams
Olympics
WTF
Non canadian masters
Davis cup

Action Jackson
10-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Davis Cup is a team event. It has been won by many average players as a result.

Slams
Olympics
WTF
Masters
Davis Cup.

What average players never won a TMS event?

mark73
10-19-2011, 12:58 AM

1. grandslams

2. davis cup

3. olympic gold

4. masters series

cuckoo cuckoo cuckoo

MatchFederer
10-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Slams >> WTF > Davis Cup > 1000/Olympic Gold > 500 > etc etc

rocketassist
10-19-2011, 01:56 AM
As I said, Davis Cup is an anomaly based on just how much said player contributed to their success.

For example Ljubicic's DC 05 would be at least on a par with the Olympics IMO, whereas Boredo sponging and doing fuck all while his teammates did the business (DC 04) isn't even worth a 250.

merryploughbhoy
10-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Slams -
1 Wimbledon - For its history and prestige and the way most greats say its what they aim to win
2 US - New york and high profile, seems to have a buzz about it more intense than wimbledon
3 Australia - because french can't come 3rd
4 French - One word, clay - for dirt rats ... Pathetic surface, the best all round tennis player wont always win.

Bad Religion
10-19-2011, 03:05 AM
By winning the Olympic Games in tennis , Elena Dementieva got the Russia's Order of Honor from the Government.
After winning the WTF, Nikolay Davydenko did not receive any recognition in Russia.

I share this perception, OG >>> What the fuck tournament. You are a hero in your country thanks to an Olympic Medal. Plus, it is good for a pro wrestler gimmick

Snowwy
10-19-2011, 03:14 AM
As I said, Davis Cup is an anomaly based on just how much said player contributed to their success.

For example Ljubicic's DC 05 would be at least on a par with the Olympics IMO, whereas Boredo sponging and doing fuck all while his teammates did the business (DC 04) isn't even worth a 250.

Agree. Good post.

Clydey
10-19-2011, 03:18 AM
What average players never won a TMS event?

Average players have, but more average players win the Davis Cup. Look at players like Lopez, who have no real shot in a TMS.

Clydey
10-19-2011, 03:20 AM

I'd agree with this.

Action Jackson
10-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Average players have, but more average players win the Davis Cup. Look at players like Lopez, who have no real shot in a TMS.

Glad you realised Joseph made sense with his DC post.

Start da Game
10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
davydenko, king david have in their account one world toast finals title each but were not even allowed to sniff a slam final(outside king david's wim 02), let alone sniffing olympic gold......

we can have odd winners for every category like tomas johansson, gaudio winning slams......

so what we can do is just take into account the tournament history and the toughness of winning it......that is the only way of objective analysis in this case......as you know world toast finals gives you 3 chances to win a tennis match and still win the whole thing......none of the other tournaments are like that.....plus the field is so small with just 8 players and all very tired......

i don't get what's the problem in understanding here.....world toast finals is clearly the last in the list......

abraxas21
10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
By winning the Olympic Games in tennis , Elena Dementieva got the Russia's Order of Honor from the Government.
After winning the WTF, Nikolay Davydenko did not receive any recognition in Russia.

I share this perception, OG >>> What the fuck tournament. You are a hero in your country thanks to an Olympic Medal. Plus, it is good for a pro wrestler gimmick

not fair. the russian government discriminated kolya for being classified as a ukranian.

dude is lucky he hasnt been sent into a gulag

Roadmap
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
You still have not told me what the World Toast Finals are Start da game? A tournament like The World cheese Awards (won most recently by Britains own Cornish Blue variety) but for comparing toast? I suppose we cannot look beyond French toast.

abraxas21
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM

i agree with this but that answers the question of "how important are DC results for the resume of a player's career" and not "how important is DC in the global scheme of tournaments".

I think in terms of history and tradition DC is very relevant. Nevertheless, the fact that many players personally choose to skip it (something that has been a particular strong phenomenon nowadays but that still happened in the past) kind of reduces its importance. in GS, all the best players compete (unless someone is injured) while DC seems to be a totally different story.

Start da Game
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
You still have not told me what the World Toast Finals are Start da game? A tournament like The World cheese Awards (won most recently by Britains own Cornish Blue variety) but for comparing toast? I suppose we cannot look beyond French toast.

we have 8 men who are already finished after paris, nearing the end of the season......hence the name world toast finals, roadmap......

abraxas21
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
we have 8 men who are already finished after paris, nearing the end of the season......hence the name world toast finals, roadmap......

by the same token, what would you say about the DC final? last year the best player of serbia was tired after a long season and the best player of france was injured. hell, the defining match was between troicki and llodra. DC toast final?

rocketassist
10-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Nadal hasn't won it and Davydenko has ergo it's shit.

Sampras won 5 of these, funny how quickly you forget the past.

Start da Game
10-19-2011, 01:50 PM
by the same token, what would you say about the DC final?

just one final tie does not undo what all has been done over the year.....even though there is a slight toast look for davis cup final, team spirit and national pride brings the best out of players......

Start da Game
10-19-2011, 01:51 PM
i thought sampras had 4, see how much i remember about wtf? see the point?

abraxas21
10-19-2011, 01:54 PM

no offense, but your knowledge of the tournaments/players doesnt quite set the bar on what should be deemed important and what shouldnt

Start da Game
10-19-2011, 01:56 PM
no offense, but your knowledge of the tournaments/players doesnt quite set the bar on what should be deemed important and what shouldnt

if you say so.....

abraxas21
10-19-2011, 01:57 PM
just one final tie does not undo what all has been done over the year.....even though there is a slight toast look for davis cup final, team spirit and national pride brings the best out of players......

tell that to tsonga and gasquet -france's 2 best players- who couldn't play in last year's final due to injuries after a long season

paseo
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
In tennis, I think WTF > Olympic. But, as a sportsman in general, an Olympic gold medal is, well,.. gold. You become a national hero with that.

rocketassist
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM

What you remember about tournaments is relevant because....?

And I call it the YEC.

Everko
10-19-2011, 04:08 PM
in order in each segment

Slams
French - takes the most strength and overall skill because matches last longer
Wimbledon
Australian open
US

masters
Monte Carlo
Rome
Madrid
Miami
Indian Wells

the rest are equally irrelevant

MalwareDie
10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Slams
YEC or WTF
Masters
Olympics

Davis Cup - varies depending on circumstance

Hian-GOAT
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Challenger San Benedetto :bowdown:
Olympics
Slams
Masters
WTF
Davis Cup

abraxas21
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
in order in each segment

Slams
Wimbledon
Australian open
US

masters
Monte Carlo
Rome
Madrid
Miami
Indian Wells

Right when everyone were thinking everko had lost his mojo, he comes and BANG! i see he is already finding his peak form right in time for the ACC

guga2120
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
in order in each segment

Slams
Wimbledon
Australian open
US

masters
Monte Carlo
Rome
Madrid
Miami
Indian Wells

This is good especially about Roland Garros being #1 and US Open, now being last. Why do put a complete joke of tournamnet like Madrid though with Monte Carlo and Rome? Madrid is the worst master series there is, Paris and Cinci are better.

Saberq
10-19-2011, 08:08 PM
This is good especially about Roland Garros being #1 and US Open, now being last. Why do put a complete joke of tournamnet like Madrid though with Monte Carlo and Rome? Madrid is the worst master series there is, Paris and Cinci are better.

because they are on clay............

Naudio Spanlatine
10-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Madrid should've stay as an indoor hard court PERIOD, i dont like it on clay to be honest

rocketassist
10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Should never have got rid of Hamburg.

MatchFederer
10-19-2011, 10:12 PM
The amazing thing about WTFinals is how massively important it is compared to 1000's.

fast_clay
10-19-2011, 11:15 PM
in order in each segment

Slams
Wimbledon
Australian open
US

masters
Monte Carlo
Rome
Madrid
Miami
Indian Wells

Right when everyone were thinking everko had lost his mojo, he comes and BANG! i see he is already finding his peak form right in time for the ACC

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/patma2003/everkotheascent-2.jpg

Roadmap
10-19-2011, 11:34 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/patma2003/everkotheascent-1.jpg

:haha:

The Magician
10-19-2011, 11:36 PM

Classic :yeah: I miss those ACC chat threads which went on forever, some quality that were missing now in the offeason :sad:

Naudio Spanlatine
10-19-2011, 11:42 PM

Oh you are too much

:superlol: :superlol: :superlol:

Sapeod
10-19-2011, 11:59 PM
If I was to rank the masters in prestige, the clay tournaments would be the bottom of the list, just above Shanghai. Cincinnatti, Paris, Montreal, Indian Wells and Miami >>>>>>> clay masters. The clay masters are beyond awful. Although Indian Wells and Miami are slowly becoming beyond awful too. If they get any slower... :tape:

rocketassist
10-20-2011, 12:20 AM
IW and Miami are arguably slower than clay now!

In order of best to worst:

Monte Carlo
Rome
Paris-Bercy
Canada
Cincinnati
Miami
IW
Madrid
Shanghai

Big gap below Cincy. Miami and IW are pathetically slow and need speeding up or binning, while Madrid and Shanghai are shit as well.

Topspindoctor
10-20-2011, 12:23 AM
If I was to rank the masters in prestige, the clay tournaments would be the bottom of the list, just above Shanghai. Cincinnatti, Paris, Montreal, Indian Wells and Miami >>>>>>> clay masters. The clay masters are beyond awful. Although Indian Wells and Miami are slowly becoming beyond awful too. If they get any slower... :tape:

Clay masters are awful because Mugray has zero chance to win one?

fast_clay
10-20-2011, 12:25 AM
IW and Miami are arguably slower than clay now!

In order of best to worst:

Monte Carlo
Rome
Paris-Bercy
Canada
Cincinnati
Miami
IW
Madrid
Shanghai

Big gap below Cincy. Miami and IW are pathetically slow and need speeding up or binning, while Madrid and Shanghai are shit as well.

i would lean towards this, but perhaps drop cinci below miami... but i can see the relevancy in your post because of the loss of meaning miami has now compared with how it was regarded in the late 80's and early 90's...

worth noting that hamburg (in the last years it ran) would be regarded above canada and quite possibly bercy as well - all this despite what the reports of the bogus atp criterion told us, thus downgrading the tournament... shame such a historical jewel in the calendar was abused like this...

rocketassist
10-20-2011, 12:29 AM
i would lean towards this, but perhaps drop cinci below miami... but i can see the relevancy in your post because of the loss of meaning miami has now compared with how it was regarded in the late 80's and early 90's...

worth noting that hamburg (in the last years it ran) would be regarded above canada and quite possibly bercy as well...

Hamburg was good fun (aside from the disgrace of 2006) and had some interesting results- out of the three warm up AMS tournaments it always produced the most contradictory result pattern to that year's RG.

I liked the Madrid indoors too- good atmosphere and the tennis was high quality.

Since Madrid clay and Shanghai arrived I've seen one memorable match from both events and that's quite poor.

MC and Rome have been a bit boring since the 5 set final got jibbed off, but they remain historical cornerstones of the game.

fast_clay
10-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Hamburg was good fun (aside from the disgrace of 2006) and had some interesting results- out of the three warm up AMS tournaments it always produced the most contradictory result pattern to that year's RG.

I liked the Madrid indoors too- good atmosphere and the tennis was high quality.

Since Madrid clay and Shanghai arrived I've seen one memorable match from both events and that's quite poor.

MC and Rome have been a bit boring since the 5 set final got jibbed off, but they remain historical cornerstones of the game.

i found hamburg put on a pretty bankable level of tennis from year to year even though it was just squeezed in before rg, and the venue was a world leader... and, like you say the madrid indoors was building some momentum, had plenty going for it and the clay version of it is just not up to scratch at all with the blatant inability to groom a proper clay surface for the player and audience...

shanghai... well... not gonna be until the next generation of stars come through before it gets any respect from the players themselves, and even then that may not be enough... what's even worse, the chinese should be spending their dosh actually getting the volume of people participating in the sport at grass roots level in order to get the sort of crowd numbers that justify an event like this...

shanghai an easy 9th for 6-12 years...

rocketassist
10-20-2011, 12:44 AM
i found hamburg put on a pretty bankable level of tennis from year to year even though it was just squeezed in before rg, and the venue was a world leader... and, like you say the madrid indoors was building some momentum, had plenty going for it and the clay version of it is just not up to scratch at all with the blatant inability to groom a proper clay surface for the player and audience...

shanghai... well... not gonna be until the next generation of stars come through before it gets any respect from the players themselves, and even then that may not be enough... what's even worse, the chinese should be spending their dosh actually getting the volume of people participating in the sport at grass roots level in order to get the sort of crowd numbers that justify an event like this...

shanghai an easy 9th for 6-12 years...

If Asia wanted a Masters, then Tokyo should have got it. Right in the city, passionate crowds and the top players have turned up on a regular basis- three of the top four have won the thing.

Shanghai was a good TMC host I thought, well the tennis was high quality if the crowds weren't

Naudio Spanlatine
10-20-2011, 12:58 AM
If Asia wanted a Masters, then Tokyo should have got it. Right in the city, passionate crowds and the top players have turned up on a regular basis- three of the top four have won the thing.

Shanghai was a good TMC host I thought, well the tennis was high quality if the crowds weren't

Shanghai and Beijing have the worst crowd EVER for SUCH a great tournament:o

Tokyo shouldve been the masters THATS FOR SURE:inlove:

hipolymer
10-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Slams
WTF
Masters
Olympics
Davis Cup

Thunderfish8
10-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Slams
Olympics
Masters
WTF
Davis Cup

I feel like I have a bit of explaining to do cuz this list seems to be very different from everyone else's especially having WTF and Davis Cup at the bottom.

I don't think the WTF is fair to be considered super prestigious because it takes away the one aspect of the game that tests the top players just as much as beating each other: not getting upset before getting a chance to play each other

Davis Cup could be more prestigious if they start scheduling ties intelligently instead of like a bunch of drunk morons - i blame Novak's injury on davis cup scheduling because it pushed him over the edge after winning the us open

In terms of Masters tournaments, Monte-Carlo kicks ass, cindy is ok, so is montreal, everything else is a slow clusterf-ck of poorly organized and scheduled tournaments, oh and paris is the worst because of the 48 person draw, at least IW and Miami have huge playing fields

multiculti
10-20-2011, 04:39 AM
1. Wimbledon (even non-tennis types know who wins Wimbledon)
2. French Open (most grueling, longest matches, surface most players grew up on)
3. US Open (just below French Open in prestige thanks to the US Open Series Bonuses $$$)
4. Australian Open (definitely least prestigious Slam)
5. Olympics (even some tennis fans don't recall who won what Olympics, not so with Slams)
6. Davis Cup (big in Europe, South America and Australia, not so much in North America)
7. Miami (biggest and most well-attended masters by players,held where most players live/train)
8. Indian Wells (96 player draw)
9. WTF (bizarre format,indoor tourneys lack atmosphere,mainly serves to market ATP stars)
10. Monte Carlo (old tourney in ritzy titsy location)
11. Rome (middle of the clay season, historic tourney regarded as main clay tourney outside FO)
12. Canadian Open (one of the oldest tennis tourneys around)
13. Cincinnati (addition of women has knocked this one down a few rungs for sure)
14. Madrid (too new as a clay court event to get prestige)
15. Shanghai (way too new and at a time of the year where the least amt of people follow tennis)
16. Paris Indoors (it's indoors.. need I say more)