Spinniest to flattest [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Spinniest to flattest

oomph
10-16-2011, 07:28 PM
I always wonder who hits flatter, Federer or Djokovic.

I also wondered how the rest of the top ATP pros fall on that scale.

If you were asked that question, where would you rank, say, the top 20?

Like: Nadal......................................Berdych :D

EddieNero
10-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I'd love to see Nadal becoming a pure ballbasher. :lol:

Sham Kay
10-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd say Nadal............................................. ........

.. Soderling, would be one of the largest differences.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Nole will be the best tho

Rafa for sure he usually hits his shots flatter when the ball comes shoulder height

Fed.....well he doesnt take Rafa's high topspin balls well but he can to the rest of the tour

Berdych and Verdasco i say at their best will flatten the hell outta the spin very well(2009 SF AusOpen Verdasco vs Nadal:drool: , 2010 WimbyQFBerdych vs. Fed:worship:)

I have to say Sodickling and AnDIOT does that very well too

The Magician
10-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Fakervic can hit the ball very flat when he's down match point and has given up. Federer never hits like that, he always thinks about his shots and plays percentages. However 99% of the time Fakervic is pushing so I'd say Fed overall hits the ball much flatter.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Tomic hits the flattest. By far.

oomph
10-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I'd say Nadal............................................. ........

.. Soderling, would be one of the largest differences.
Soderling doesn't hit that flat at all. Hard=/=flatö
Nole will be the best tho

Rafa for sure he usually hits his shots flatter when the ball comes shoulder height

Fed.....well he doesnt take Rafa's high topspin balls well but he can to the rest of the tour

Berdych and Verdasco i say at their best will flatten the hell outta the spin very well(2009 SF AusOpen Verdasco vs Nadal:drool: , 2010 WimbyQFBerdych vs. Fed:worship:)

I have to say Sodickling and AnDIOT does that very well too

Hahaha verdasco flat. :spit:

you guys didn't get it. You're supposed to rank everybody. Like, Nadal Murray Djokovic Federer

Not mention extremes.

Li Ching Yuen
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Topspin-induced:

1.Nadal
2.Andreev
3.Robredo
4.Monfils
5.Ferrero
6.Berlocq

Roddick and Harrison don't belong here, they're masters at inefficiently brushing the ball with the face of the racket tho.

Flattest:

1.Berdych
2.Stepanek
3.Youzhny
4.Tursunov
5.Davydenko
6.Malisse
7.Blake
8.Baghdatis

Mostly the guys that grew up on indoor ice-rinks, you don't need topspin on those, just fuckin' good technique and a lot of timing.

Glanced over the current Top100 to select these.

Li Ching Yuen
10-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Soderling works the ball quite a lot actually. Hard /= flat.

stebs
10-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Simon hits very flat the majority of the time. Federer hits with more spin than Djokovic (in terms of rpm) and more spin than almost anyone else on tour.

Orka_n
10-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Soderling works the ball quite a lot actually. Hard /= flat.Soderling hits his FH with spin until he gets a high or short ball, then he flattens it out and he does it brilliantly. Most of his winners are flat shots. He also hits his backhand without much spin. There are others who hits even flatter though. Golubev hasn't been mentioned yet.

Super Djoker
10-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Del Potro gets the most spin IMO! Anyone who see,s the amount of dip, spin he gets will agree! There is loads of topspin on his forehands. he just gets the under the ball variety, where as nadal hit,s over the ball. maybe del po,s isent spin? i havent been playin that long! but del po hits under the ball well and generates massive spin! MAYBE I HAVE THAT ALL WRONG THOUGHT! flattest is Simon! Even flat shot,s have spin thought so it is a stupid question!

Li Ching Yuen
10-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Soderling hits his FH with spin until he gets a high or short ball, then he flattens it out and he does it brilliantly. Most of his winners are flat shots. He also hits his backhand without much spin. There are others who hits even flatter though. Golubev hasn't been mentioned yet.

Yeah but we're talking about rally shots here, the vast majority of pros can crush a high ball, Soderling gets more of them because of his aggressive rally shots so that's why you might have grown with that impression.

Berdych, Stepanek and Youzhny are guys that hit flat shots all the time, because that's how they were taught to play tennis. You find a lot of guys like this in the Central-Eastern schools of tennis, in the older generation of course.

Golubev and Blake are guys that like hitting on the rise, and even though those shots are mostly flat there's still topspin work on them.

Mountaindewslave
10-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Nadal / Robredo / very spin Djokovic / Berdych flat, certainly Federer worth arguing

Topspindoctor
10-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Berdshit is the flattest hitter

MuzzahLovah
10-17-2011, 03:26 AM
This should be done for backhands and forehands separately. Murray has one of the flattest backhands, but a spinny forehand.
Nadal has a the most forehand spin ever, but the backhand is pretty flat.

heya
10-17-2011, 03:40 AM
rodduck is the only one who moonballs 7-foot high dropshots into the net and to an opponent's side.

tribalfusion
10-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Del Potro gets the most spin IMO! ...i havent been playin that long! but del po hits under the ball well and generates massive spin! MAYBE I HAVE THAT ALL WRONG THOUGHT!

Um, no. Del Potro isn't even close to having the most spin.

Nadal and Andreev use the most spin consistently. Federer hits with a good amount of spin.

Golubev and some of the other bashers do wail away fairly flat quite often.

There was a piece on spin rating the big guys a few years back which someone should post if possible.

Asadinator
10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
You can't get away with ball bashing if you are hitting with no top spin, unless you are really tall or receive a short high ball. Tomic is the only player I have seen that sometimes puts no top spin on his forehands, and he has to slow it down so gravity takes it down otherwise it'll be very hard to get it in. I think all ball bashers put at least some amount of top spin, it's just that it doesn't look that way because the ball goes really fast.

TBkeeper
10-17-2011, 01:02 PM
You can't get away with ball bashing if you are hitting with no top spin, unless you are really tall or receive a short high ball. Tomic is the only player I have seen that sometimes puts no top spin on his forehands, and he has to slow it down so gravity takes it down otherwise it'll be very hard to get it in. I think all ball bashers put at least some amount of top spin, it's just that it doesn't look that way because the ball goes really fast.

That's the truth !

n8
10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Forehand top 10 (highest RPM at the top):

Nadal
Federer
Djokovic
Monfils
Murray
Soderling
Ferrer
Tsonga
Fish
Berdych

Backhand top 10:

Djokovic
Federer
Nadal
Monfils
Ferrer
Soderling
Tsonga
Fish
Berdych
Murray

Roadmap
10-17-2011, 01:43 PM
rodduck is the only one who moonballs 7-foot high dropshots into the net and to an opponent's side.

:haha: After a dip in form Heya has refound her shooting boots.

stewietennis
10-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Would it be more difficult to return a ball (let's say it's within your strikezone) that contains a lot of topspin or one that comes in flatter but faster?

Naudio Spanlatine
10-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Forehand top 10:

Nadal
Federer
Djokovic
Monfils
Murray
Soderling
Ferrer
Tsonga
Fish
Berdych

Backhand top 10:

Djokovic
Federer
Nadal
Monfils
Ferrer
Soderling
Tsonga
Fish
Berdych
Murray

Agree with the rest except murray would be tie with Monfils in the backhand part tho cause his backhand is really dangerous when its on the gas but good job:worship:

MuzzahLovah
10-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Would it be more difficult to return a ball (let's say it's within your strikezone) that contains a lot of topspin or one that comes in flatter but faster?

Depends on the player. Fed can block Roddicks hard flat serves back easily, but seems to have trouble with Nadals spinny serves. Djokovic and Murray seem not to mind the spin.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Depends on the player. Fed can block Roddicks hard flat serves back easily, but seems to have trouble with Nadals spinny serves. Djokovic and Murray seem not to mind the spin.

especially on CLAY, because rafa and other lefties always serve to fed's BH which is very tricky because their lefty spins are very different from a righty, but also Rafa puts so much spin on his serves that even his "body" serves are dangerous as well because he doesnt need to put alot on it, he needs jus enough to trouble alot of righties