Duopoly, triumvirate, or bust? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Duopoly, triumvirate, or bust?

MuzzahLovah
10-15-2011, 07:44 AM
In 2003, Agassi, Ferrero, Federer, and Roddick each won a slam. With Agassi in the twilight of his career, and 3 first time slam winners for 3 different surfaces.

From 2004-2007, Fed and Nadal shared all the slams, except for Safin.

from 2008 - 2011, Fed, Djokovic and Nadal each won at least 4 slams, and took them all except for Del Potro's US Open.

What do you hope 2012 has in store? The end of the top 3 strangle hold, the return of the duo's dominance?

BlueSwan
10-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Basically, anything but a Djokovic/Nadal duopoly.

GSMnadal
10-15-2011, 08:21 AM
I want to see a Nadal-Murray slam final! It's the one that's missing...

xdrewitdajx
10-15-2011, 08:48 AM
AO: Tipsarevic
RG: Djokovic
W: Murray
USO: Federer

Olympics: Berdych

DrJules
10-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Where a player wins 3 GS or more in a year feel it is more a monopoly.

Sham Kay
10-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Murray - Djokovic duopoly .. possibly a new GS contender breaking through.

Saberq
10-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Murray - Djokovic duopoly .. possibly a new GS contender breaking through.

LOL that wont happen Murray cant win a Slam and dont put him in a same sentence as Novak it is insulting the King

I want to see a Nadal-Murray slam final! It's the one that's missing...

You just want Nadal to kick his ass right?

Sham Kay
10-15-2011, 10:44 AM
LOL that wont happen Murray cant win a Slam and dont put him in a same sentence as Novak it is insulting the King

Insulting the King? Cool. Murray - Djokovic duopoly it is then. Murray's name comes first too.

Besides, Djokovic is the Joker, not the King. He'll never be King.

GSMnadal
10-15-2011, 11:26 AM

You just want Nadal to kick his ass right?

Well, that's the preferred outcome, yes. Especially at Wimbledon :drool:

But I'm curious as well, we've seen so many semi's and quarters between these two, they deserve a final.

Saberq
10-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Insulting the King? Cool. Murray - Djokovic duopoly it is then. Murray's name comes first too.

Besides, Djokovic is the Joker, not the King. He'll never be King.

Another British loser supporting Murray because he is British....and whoever is number 1 is the King...go watch soccer or something

Well, that's the preferred outcome, yes. Especially at Wimbledon :drool:

But I'm curious as well, we've seen so many semi's and quarters between these two, they deserve a final.

Nah Wimbledon final would be too one sided for Nadal...he is at home there and Murray would shit his pants

Sham Kay
10-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Another British loser supporting Murray because he is British....and whoever is number 1 is the King...go watch soccer or something
I support him, because I like him as a player. I'm not criticizing you on why you're supporting Djoker, I believe Murray fans deserve the same respect. Obviously we'll defend him, when guys like you shamelessly trash him. You really have no right to put down that Murray fan you hate so much when you're exactly like him.

And it's called Football. You use your feet afterall.

Saberq
10-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I support him, because I like him as a player. I'm not criticizing you on why you're supporting Djoker, I believe Murray fans deserve the same respect. Obviously we'll defend him, when guys like you shamelessly trash him. You really have no right to put down that Murray fan you hate so much when you're exactly like him.

And it's called Football. You use your feet afterall.

I wouldnt trash him if you were objective about him and not talk like he was a Grand Slam champion

Johnny Groove
10-15-2011, 12:00 PM
3 or even 4 different slam winner would be preferable.

Sham Kay
10-15-2011, 12:11 PM
I wouldnt trash him if you were objective about him and not talk like he was a Grand Slam champion
Hm. I consider myself pretty objective about him, I consider him the 4th best player who can pose a threat and maybe more to the top guys, meaning he has a pretty good chance at any tournament, but not the favourite. All I said was I believe he'll win a slam and dominate with Djoker next year. Not like that's the most far-fetched thing anyone's ever said, it's not like he's a low ranked player struggling to make GS 4th rounds, and with Fedal struggling this seems the most likely to me.

But if it is, saying he has no chance of ever winning a slam is equally not objective (what's the word.. subjective? Eh..), since you obviously have a deep dislike for him. I wouldn't say anyone in the top 10 has NO chance at slams, let alone Murray.

Anyway, after thinking it through, I have to say counting out Nadal would be pretty short-sighted. Triumvirate it is.

Vida
10-15-2011, 12:14 PM
anything other than a golden slam for the joker is a failure.

Farenhajt
10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Why Djokovic monopoly isn't an option?

Saberq
10-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Hm. I consider myself pretty objective about him, I consider him the 4th best player who can pose a threat and maybe more to the top guys, meaning he has a pretty good chance at any tournament, but not the favourite. All I said was I believe he'll win a slam and dominate with Djoker next year. Not like that's the most far-fetched thing anyone's ever said, it's not like he's a low ranked player struggling to make GS 4th rounds, and with Fedal struggling this seems the most likely to me.

But if it is, saying he has no chance of ever winning a slam is equally not objective (what's the word.. subjective? Eh..), since you obviously have a deep dislike for him. I wouldn't say anyone in the top 10 has NO chance at slams, let alone Murray.

Anyway, after thinking it through, I have to say counting out Nadal would be pretty short-sighted. Triumvirate it is.

that sounds about right .......

MuzzahLovah
10-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Why Djokovic monopoly isn't an option?

I suppose you could hope for that, but as no player in the last 8 years has dominated by winning the CYGS, I didn't see that as a likely enough option to include.