Nadal (and Murray) slam tournament balls [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal (and Murray) slam tournament balls

Johnny Groove
10-14-2011, 12:35 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/12102011/58/nadal-slams-tournament-balls.html

Nadal here says that switching tennis balls every week can be dangerous for the shoulder and there should be a standard ball for each season, clay, American hard, etc.

I gotta agree with him here, but like everything in this world, money rules.

MuzzahLovah
10-14-2011, 12:38 AM

Nadal here says that switching tennis balls every week can be dangerous for the shoulder and there should be a standard ball for each season, clay, American hard, etc.

In other news, Nadal's soup was too warm, his chair was too big, and his bed was too soft.

Sham Kay
10-14-2011, 12:42 AM
Nadals on fire. Media GOAT.

v-money
10-14-2011, 12:44 AM
He may be right or he may be wrong about it causing shoulder problems. If the standard ball was a heavy ball it may cause even more severe problems because now you're hitting a heavy ball every week.

One this I do know is that surfaces are already homogenized and homogenizing balls may just be the next step. Players like Nadal like for things to be the same so they can get into their consistent rhythms. Ball homogenization may not only help Nadal's shoulder, it may also help his game.

misty1
10-14-2011, 12:44 AM
it seems like all he can do is find things to bitch about

Sham Kay
10-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Awh, he just answers the silly questions he gets asked honestly. He's not really bitching, just saying how he feels. I mean, it's not like he's calling pressers himself to "slam" everything he doesn't like in the sport.

Geo
10-14-2011, 12:52 AM
:haha: Nadal is the crankiest we've ever seen him lately. Those losses to Djokovic and the others this season must really hurt. We're used to seeing the happy-go-lucky guy-what happened to him? :unsure:

I do think it makes sense to keep balls the same during certain swings of the calender though :shrug:

Topspindoctor
10-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Haters swarming like cockroaches over every little comment Nadal makes. NID.

Filo V.
10-14-2011, 12:57 AM
His honesty is refreshing, at least he's not bullshitting like he was previously. Even if his reputation goes down, he's keeping it real, and deserves more respect for that. And he's obviously right.

Jonathan, you should include Murray in the thread title, because not doing so, you know this thread will turn into a flame war.

Mountaindewslave
10-14-2011, 12:59 AM
wow why is Nadal bitching so much lately? making up any excuse to attract attention away from his poor form?

i love Rafael but this all needs to stop, if he doesn't stop whining and being an attention whore he may lose many fans including me

Johnny Groove
10-14-2011, 01:00 AM
I gotta admit, I do like this more refreshing and open Nadal.

I think it has to do with that book of his coming out where he pretty much bared his soul so now he feels as though he really has nothing to hide and can be himself.

As for the actual issue, he is right of course. But Penn and Wilson and all the other ball companies don't give a shit about what is in the best interest of the players or the quality of the tennis, all they care about is what makes the most money.

MuzzahLovah
10-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I did see Murray agreed with him, and the demand doesn't seem outrageous, but these complaints from Nadal are coming a mile a minute and always when has an off day or gets upset.

Then again, the courts changing so drastically from one tournament to another(even though they are all hard courts or clay courts in a given season) should be as much or more of an injury risk as changing balls right? Aren't different conditions week in week out just part of tennis?

misty1
10-14-2011, 01:02 AM
His honesty is refreshing, at least he's not bullshitting like he was previously. Even if his reputation goes down, he's keeping it real, and deserves more respect for that. And he's obviously right.

Jonathan, you should include Murray in the thread title, because not doing so, you know this thread will turn into a flame war.

its refreshing to a point but when its all negative its just a little draining and it does kind of come of whiny.

and, yeah it would have been nice to have murray in the title, seeing as how for some reason my stupid computer wont open the link so all i have to go by is title.

Filo V.
10-14-2011, 01:08 AM
I agree, Misty. I can't say this new-open Nadal is actually a positive individual or someone that people will look at and want to follow look up to. The always positive, sheepish Rafa has gone away, with a cranky-ish Nadal in his place. But I can overlook that because not many players are actually willing to say anything whatsoever and are bullshitters, and I don't respect that.

Roddickominator
10-14-2011, 01:16 AM
:rolleyes:

Comments like this are why people think tennis is a sissy sport. One of the best "natural" athletes of the sport with bulging biceps and multiple Slams is going around complaining about the balls because it might hurt his shoulder.

I'm sure hurting his shoulder would be the ball's fault....not the ridiculous way that he swings his racket to hit said ball.

Mountaindewslave
10-14-2011, 01:52 AM
I gotta admit, I do like this more refreshing and open Nadal.

I think it has to do with that book of his coming out where he pretty much bared his soul so now he feels as though he really has nothing to hide and can be himself.

As for the actual issue, he is right of course. But Penn and Wilson and all the other ball companies don't give a shit about what is in the best interest of the players or the quality of the tennis, all they care about is what makes the most money.

sometimes it is better to show less than more. showing that he wants to dominate and boss around the tennis organization is not the right way to go about it. complaining about taxes, tennis balls, scheduling, etc etc etc. i like the humble Nadal much more than the demanding one, regardless of which one is more at his core... and seriously TENNIS ball has much less affect on the body than for example, the change of SURFACE.... getting a bit excessive these days, the complaints

alter ego
10-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Awh, he just answers the silly questions he gets asked honestly. He's not really bitching, just saying how he feels. I mean, it's not like he's calling pressers himself to "slam" everything he doesn't like in the sport.

Normaly I would agree with you, but earlier this week Uncle Toni had this to say in the spanish press:

Además, hay otro tema que me choca. Resulta que disputamos un circuito donde la mayoría de los jugadores se lesiona. No es normal que un gran número tenga lesiones. Mira aquí Carlos Moyà, que tuvo dos lesiones graves en su carrera, primero en la espalda y después otra ahora al final. Del Potro, Murray, Tsonga, Nabaldian, Rafael... Te hablo de los mejores. Van demasiado al límite. Después, la superficie te ayuda muy poco, porque daña el impacto. Además, la bola va demasiado rápido. Es complicado. ¿Que no es fácil cambiarlo? Claro que es difícil.

Translation: There is another issue that strikes me. The statistic shows that the majority of players get injured. It is not normal to have so many injuries. Look at Carlos Moya who had two serious injuries in his career. Del Potro, Murray, Tsonga, Nabaldian, Rafael ... I'm talking about the best. They play too close to their limits. Then the surface helps you very little, because the impact is very hard on the body . In addition, the ball goes (flies) too fast. It's complicated. You say it's difficult to change things? Of course it's difficult.

Sounds to me like tio Nadull and Rafito are lobbying for big, slow, high bouncing balls to be used in each atp event.

Pirata.
10-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Haters swarming like cockroaches over every little comment Nadal makes. NID.

Yeah, that never happened to Roger :angel:

Sham Kay
10-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Doesn't adding Murray to the thread title just add fuel to any on-going fires? Hum.. better add Roddick for a bit more fun.

philosophicalarf
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
It's a legit complaint imo - tennis has generally moved towards using the same ball for a few weeks/months in a row, for this very reason.

Pre-Wimbledon: all use the same ball as Wim (except Newport).

Pre-Aus: all the 250s use the same ball as Aus (except Chennai).

Pre-Roland Garros: RG switched to Dunlop in 06, and all the clay masters followed in 2010, as well as Barcelona and a whole heap of the 250s. Of course, RG then switched again this year (moneymoneymoneymoney)..... to the universal disapproval of players.

Pre-US: the two masters use Penn, but the 250s use the Wilson UO ball. However, Washington switched Wilson>Penn this year, so the big three events are using the same ball, and the players then have a week off to adapt to Wilson (unless they play Winston, which uses Wilson .... Isner made comments about the major diff there this year)

Also, the fact it's Murray and Nadal complaining makes sense, cos they were in Tokyo last week where they play with an absolute cannonball - thus the difference is most apparent. Melzer and a few others made the same comments last year after Tokyo.

hotdog
10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
It may be a legitimate complaint but these guys are not forced to play in poxy events like Tokyo. They know full well beforehand what balls will be used.

PS I don't really get all this fuss about balls...surely it's just a tennis ball. There can't be that much difference between all the different varieties.

delboy
10-14-2011, 09:56 AM
"I am very happy to win less money and have my health," he said.

:haha::haha::haha: Of course you are rafito..

The Magician
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
NaDiva can't shut up for 5 minutes now that he's losing. Amazing how his personality did a 180 when he wasn't winning finals anymore :o

hyperren
10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I would've been happy if the thread title were just "Nadal and Murray slam balls," but then again I'm a perv.

nobama
10-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Is there anything #2 and Murray aren't complaining about these days? :lol:

zeleni
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Negative. Nadal and Murray are professional tennis players. They should know how to make adjustments.

What would be next request? To play always on the same surface?

thrust
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
wow why is Nadal bitching so much lately? making up any excuse to attract attention away from his poor form?

i love Rafael but this all needs to stop, if he doesn't stop whining and being an attention whore he may lose many fans including me

I am beginning to feel the same. I think Rafa is beginning to feel rather insecure, especially off clay. Even there, Nole showed he is beatable on that surface too.

Snowwy
10-14-2011, 12:57 PM

I think in sports of all sorts this is something that is forgotten. These players get asked thousands of questions and when the give an honest answer, they get slammed in the media for it often times.

He never gives all the information in his threads at first, he would make a great journalist I think. :)

its refreshing to a point but when its all negative its just a little draining and it does kind of come of whiny.

Pot calling the kettle black? ;)

PS I don't really get all this fuss about balls...surely it's just a tennis ball. There can't be that much difference between all the different varieties.

I am not even 1% the player Nadal is, yet the balls make a difference. The bounce can variety quite a bit when you start hitting the ball hard with lots of spin.

Negative. Nadal and Murray are professional tennis players. They should know how to make adjustments.

Why should they have to though? The NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, FIFA, Cricket, they all play with the same ball every game. Different fields but same ball. Why does tennis need to be different and why should the players accept the difference.

zeleni
10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Why should they have to though? The NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL, FIFA, Cricket, they all play with the same ball every game. Different fields but same ball. Why does tennis need to be different and why should the players accept the difference.
I thought diversity of courts and other conditions (thus diversity of playing strategies) is traditional part of tennis. A lot o people already moan about "surface homogenization"...

IMO, it is more interesting with more variety and real masterhood of certain player is displayed in ability to adjust.
intelligence = adaptability

Snowwy
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
I thought diversity of courts and other conditions (thus diversity of playing strategies) is traditional part of tennis. A lot o people already moan about "surface homogenization"...

IMO, it is more interesting with more variety and real masterhood of certain player is displayed in ability to adjust.
intelligence = adaptability

I was talking about the balls, not the surfaces. Not sure if you are a baseball fan but every baseball park is sized differently, lots of different surfaces that's fine, but the ball is the same game to game.

So I am saying, surface variety is good. Ball variety is not.

abraxas21
10-14-2011, 02:14 PM
bloody hell

will this guy ever stop whining?

he whines about his knees, random bananas, the french public, the british taxes, doping testing methods, soderling's personality, his shoulder, his parents' divorce, the speed of the courts, the duration of the season, the lack of sufficient clay tourneys, umpires giving him warnings, the weather, the rules of tennis and now he dares to whine about the tournament balls...?

just stop, dude. seriously

Snowwy
10-14-2011, 02:14 PM
bloody hell

Another pot/kettle guy. MTF makes me laugh. :wavey:

zeleni
10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I was talking about the balls, not the surfaces. Not sure if you are a baseball fan but every baseball park is sized differently, lots of different surfaces that's fine, but the ball is the same game to game.

So I am saying, surface variety is good. Ball variety is not.

Balls are in the "other conditions" (together with outdoor/indoor, temperature, wind, day/night, crowd, etc) that demands adaptability/variety, hence masterhood.

abraxas21
10-14-2011, 02:22 PM

i dont whine. i make constructive criticism :yeah:

The Magician
10-14-2011, 02:37 PM
bloody hell

he whines about his knees, random bananas, the french public, the british taxes, doping testing methods, soderling's personality, his shoulder, his parents' divorce, the speed of the courts, the duration of the season, the lack of sufficient clay tourneys, umpires giving him warnings, the weather, the rules of tennis and now he dares to whine about the tournament balls...?

:worship:

Johnny Groove
10-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Nadal still moving the meter, baby.

The day a thread like this is created and no one responds will be the day Rafa is really done.

He never gives all the information in his threads at first, he would make a great journalist I think. :)

I would, that's a possible plan of mine after the tennis career :D

zlaja777
10-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I agree. Go for it Rafito!

MuzzahLovah
10-14-2011, 05:05 PM
In defense of Murray, all he said was "If you asked a golfer to change balls every single week, they'd be hitting balls 20 yards too far and hitting shots all over the place."

He seems to be roped into these things- like Nadal brings them up, and the press try to get Murray into conflict, but he usually mildly agrees, because he's so classy:inlove: Nadal rounded everyone up to complain at the US Open as well.

EddieNero
10-14-2011, 05:12 PM
The guy should definitely spend more time on practice court than at press conferences.

Filo V.
10-14-2011, 05:33 PM
:rolleyes:

Comments like this are why people think tennis is a sissy sport. One of the best "natural" athletes of the sport with bulging biceps and multiple Slams is going around complaining about the balls because it might hurt his shoulder.

I'm sure hurting his shoulder would be the ball's fault....not the ridiculous way that he swings his racket to hit said ball.

Comments like this are expected from people who could never play professional tennis if they tried and know absolutely nothing of the sport or topic being discussed.

Filo V.
10-14-2011, 05:37 PM
bloody hell

He's a perfectionist and he obviously has a certain idea of how to do things, and wants them done his way. Maybe not appropriate completely, that can be argued, however, we're all perfectionists to some degree, so I can't blame him for wanting the most for himself and the sport.

EddieNero
10-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Whinedal

Pirata.
10-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Actually, football uses a wide variety of balls afaik, and there was a huge fuss about the Jabulani for the World Cup, and I believe the UEFA balls are different from the ones used in the leagues, and balls differ from league to league and from year to year.

Tennis is played on different surfaces with different court speeds in different conditions. Players should adapt to the game from surface to surface, the game shouldn't be continuously homogenized to conform to the players, the players need to conform to the game.

Filo V.
10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I would agree with the adaptation thing, if it didn't mean players had an increased chance of injury with the changing of balls from event to event. Unfortunately, they do, and players' health needs to come first.

Pirata.
10-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Out of curiousity, how much or little do different balls contribute to the chances of player injury?

EddieNero
10-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I'd say only Nadal M.D can link ball heaviness with injury risk.

tribalfusion
10-14-2011, 06:28 PM

So true!

Nadal was asked and gave his very reasonable opinion. The ones complaining about his complaint are those who complain most :)

tribalfusion
10-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Nadal rounded everyone up to complain at the US Open as well.

I hope this was meant to be a joke.

MatchFederer
10-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Load of bullshit.

Let's make the conditions of tennis even more homogenous.

No.

2eazy
10-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Hes totally right

decrepitude
10-14-2011, 07:34 PM
From the reports I have read, it's not so much a question of wanting the same type of ball all the year, but of not switching the type of balls around in a run of tournaments. The players are saying the balls used in Shanghai are unpredictable - something about if it is caught on the seam, the ball can spray all over China. In nearly all of the matches I have watched - and I have watched quite a few, featuring many different types of players - there are so many "unforced errors" where the ball has gone all over the place. It can't ALL be down to player error. Generally speaking good workmen use good tools, to get the best out of themselves; an unpredictable ball diminishes the element of skill and replaces it with luck.