Shanghai R3: (Q)Ebden def. (8)Simon 6-2, 2-6, 7-6(8) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shanghai R3: (Q)Ebden def. (8)Simon 6-2, 2-6, 7-6(8)

BroTree123
10-13-2011, 01:08 PM
AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!!!!!!! OI OI OI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EB-FUCKING-DEN !!!!!! :rocker2: :rocker2:

Bye bye Simug :wavey::wavey:

GREAT MATCH!

henke007
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Simug :bigwave:
Ebden:yeah:

Chris Kuerten
I'm officially giving up on Simon.

au_sports_opinion
wowowow amaze.

n8
Huge win!

Ebden more than triples his biggest pay cheque by reaching the quarters.

Massive ranking boost too of course.

Getta
:eek:

Action Jackson
Great work Ebden, had a break in the 3rd lost it straight away, had a couple of match points.

Well deserved, don't have any weapons but great work ethic deserves to be rewarded.

lzhaol
good job Ebden :yeah:

fast_clay
10-13-2011, 01:10 PM
took 5 mps... 3 on serve for ebden... but managed to summon the spirit of the gooch and deliver a gooch bagel 76

Great work Ebden, had a break in the 3rd lost it straight away, had a couple of match points.

Well deserved, don't have any weapons but great work ethic deserves to be rewarded.

ebden is the aussie ferrer... his core is ripped to the max... carved out of granite

Kolya
Great to see him do well.

Ebden's game is solid, just lacks that killer shot.

Tom Paulman
Ebden is now Top 80. Great week for him and great to see Simug lose

Start da Game
10-13-2011, 01:11 PM
simon seems to be past his peak.....hamburg was probably his last big hurray.....

n8
This also probably means another Aussie in the main draw of the Australian Open as Ebden won't need a wild card.

Asadinator
but managed to summon the spirit of the gooch and deliver a gooch bagel 76

:spit:

Hewitt =Legend
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Matty Ebden in a Masters QF, something I didn't think I'd be typing this year thats for sure. Great guy, puts in the hard yards and he is reaping the rewards now.

The Magician
10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
The spiritual successor to the Gooch :worship: Great win, any day someone takes this pusher out is a good day for tennis :yeah:

Chase Visa
10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Good win.

Seems pretty ugly that Ebden made the QF's of a Masters, but heck, I'll take it!

james82
10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Matty Ebden in a Masters QF, something I didn't think I'd be typing this year thats for sure. Great guy, puts in the hard yards and he is reaping the rewards now.

i was actually thinking he was gonna step it up earler causehe came out at the start of the year saying he was gonna too

MaxPower
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Didn't see this one coming. Simon had so much to play for. On the other hand so had Ebden. What a week he's having!

Chris Kuerten
10-13-2011, 01:21 PM
Pretty funny that all the Australian posters suddenly come crawling out of their holes, never knew MTF had this many :haha:

Filo V.
I like Matt, and I like Gilles, but I'm upset about Ebden winning, not Simon losing. I like the guy, he seems really nice and I've read stories on how he trains very hard, but the dude is incredibly boring with his personality and game and not very good overall. He's not a good player, and quite frankly, I think he being top 100 now is a total joke and when there are better players that aren't there, I don't like it whatsoever. He brings absolutely nothing to the table. Hard work doesn't make a player talented. I don't root for players who probably will end up being flashes in the pan.

tennishero
really embarassing loss for simon, 3rd set TB :o

nalbyfan
10-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Congrats to this guy that I never heard about but got rid of Simon the pusher...he deserves a gold medal

philosophicalarf
Simon was pretty bad in Bangkok, the 3 setter against Bachinger in particular, then got thrashed by Granollers last week. Something clearly not right.

Shifting to indoors makes it harder for him too, apparently they play faster.

Chase Visa
Pretty funny that all the Australian posters suddenly come crawling out of their holes, never knew MTF had this many :haha:

We need something to get on our feet. Time to go back to 1997-2002.

tennishero

+1

same when murray wins, they come out in hordes.

Action Jackson
10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
+1

same when murray wins, they come out in hordes.

Just like Argentines when del Potro or Nalbandian win a big match.

BroTree123
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
He has a serve unlike some players :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Simon was pretty bad in Bangkok, the 3 setter against Bachinger in particular, then got thrashed by Granollers last week. Something clearly not right.

Shifting to indoors makes it harder for him too, apparently they play faster.

Ebden doesn't give pace and Simon doesn't like generating his own.

Xristos
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Big win for the Aussie.

VolandriFan
10-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Ebden needs to be given credit for his efforts this week.

However, there are no words for Simon at the moment.

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Ebden doesn't give pace because he has no pace.

Chris.
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM
So proud of Matty. Hang in there right to the end. Too bad he has to run into Murray cant see him getting near him. (And no im not another Aussie "crawling out of a hole". I have been posting in his player forum all year win or lose.

Chris.
10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Ebden doesn't give pace because he has no pace.

Your so bitter when one of your favorite players loses it makes me so angry.:mad:

Chris Kuerten
10-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Just like Argentines when del Potro or Nalbandian win a big match.
Just like Icelanders when Arnar Sigurdsson wins a match.

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Your so bitter when one of your favorite players loses it makes me so angry.:mad:

I am pretty bitter, but that statement is realistic. He has no pace and his groundstrokes are the epitome of mediocre. He hits garbage shots. It's almost laughable that he's in the QF of a Masters. And it has nothing to do with Simon winning, he's not one of my tier one favorites, but if Gilles was in any sort of form, he'd clearly win here.

Action Jackson
10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Just like Icelanders when Arnar Sigurdsson wins a match.

Hahaha, the point has already been made.

Action Jackson
10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
I am pretty bitter, but that statement is realistic. He has no pace and his groundstrokes are the epitome of mediocre. He hits garbage shots. It's almost laughable that he's in the QF of a Masters. And it has nothing to do with Simon winning, he's not one of my tier one favorites, but if Gilles was in any sort of form, he'd clearly win here.

He has no weapons we know this, so he moves the ball around with a lack of a weapons. Simon likes the guys who hit with pace. Got to do what it takes to win, don't get points or wins for winning in style.

Enough whining.

Action Jackson
10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Stick to the topic, not about who Filo likes.

BroTree123
10-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't wish to dislike Filo V, but his bitterness is understandable I suppose -- everyone has different loves and hates. At least he's not another topspindoctor.

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
He has no weapons we know this, so he moves the ball around with a lack of a weapons. Simon likes the guys who hit with pace. Got to do what it takes to win, don't get points or wins for winning in style.

Enough whining.

Honestly, no joke, I'm not even whining right now, OK so he's top 100, I'll just ignore him and I don't hate him, I like him as a person and for his commitment. But, I'm also going to be realistic. The guy brings nothing to the table at all. And I don't root for guys who are overmatched completely talent wise, have no real game, and play above their heads. Yeah, I respect the fact he's doing what he needs to do, but that doesn't make him a good player.

Pretty similar to why I couldn't stand Kukushkin when he made top 100, and we all know how that turned out.

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm not an asshole nor should any of you dislike me, for being honest. And yes, I am bitter, someone like him top 100 and in ATP events compared to guys who, IMO, actually bring something to the tour. It's not a good situation. But I respect Matt for getting the most of the limited skills he has, like Dodig has. Shows you that you can overcome a devoid in natural talent compared to your contemporaries.

Action Jackson
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Honestly, no joke, I'm not even whining right now, OK so he's top 100, I'll just ignore him and I don't hate him, I like him as a person and for his commitment. But, I'm also going to be realistic. The guy brings nothing to the table at all. And I don't root for guys who are overmatched completely talent wise, have no real game, and play above their heads. Yeah, I respect the fact he's doing what he needs to do, but that doesn't make him a good player.

Pretty similar to why I couldn't stand Kukushkin when he made top 100, and we all know how that turned out.

Well you have been whining big time, making coming comments like disgusting etc, cause one of your favourites doesn't win, yet have a go at others when it's the other way round. Don't dish it out, when you can't take it.

I'm going to be realistic Ebden didn't hack into a computer to get all his points, he earned them doesn't matter how. Deal with it and move on.

jmjhb
10-13-2011, 01:47 PM
He also got the points by playing (mostly) ATP events rather than Challengers.

Considering this time last year he was playing Futures he should be commended.

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 01:49 PM
No, I can handle it when my favorites lose, because I know it's because they failed, and need to do better. Simon isn't one of my top favorites and my unhappiness has nothing to do with he losing, but I also know he failed today and that he should have won this match. I can take anything people dish out, since I know I'm right and that's basically what it comes down to.

As for dealing with Ebden, I'm going to do that by ignoring him from this point on :)

james82
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
No, I can handle it when my favorites lose, because I know it's because they failed, and need to do better. Simon isn't one of my top favorites and my unhappiness has nothing to do with he losing, but I also know he failed today and that he should have won this match. I can take anything people dish out, since I know I'm right and that's basically what it comes down to.

As for dealing with Ebden, I'm going to do that by ignoring him from this point on :)

u know ebden took ferrer to 3 sets too right ? so its not like he doesnt have any talent
he just enjoys playing the asian tourney's cause he went really well in japan too

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 01:55 PM
u know ebden took ferrer to 3 sets too right ? so its not like he doesnt have any talent
he just enjoys playing the asian tourney's cause he went really well in japan too

He's playing above his level and he's on a hot streak. His overall level is mediocrity.

jmjhb
10-13-2011, 02:00 PM
I wonder if Filo V has ever been wrong. I mean, "I'm right" is his standard response in an argument. Anyway, I digress.

Ebden now top 80, will be interesting to see how high he can get now he can probably get direct acceptance into ATP tour events. Has a few CH QF/SFs over the next 6 months to defend as well though as a QF at Brisbane.

james82
10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
He's playing above his level and he's on a hot streak. His overall level is mediocrity.

we'll see, he usually plays ok in aus so u should see him get into the 60s i think
i know your gonna hate that

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 02:12 PM
No, I'll laugh if he makes top 50/60. I'd find it hilarious. Sort of like how Bogomolov could end up seeded at the AO. And Tipsarevic almost top 10. I think the majority of tennis happenings is a total fucking joke in every sense.

BroTree123
10-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Maybe it's time you took a break from MTF mate :lol:

Chris.
10-13-2011, 02:15 PM
No, I'll laugh if he makes top 50/60. I'd find it hilarious. Sort of like how Bogomolov could end up seeded at the AO. And Tipsarevic almost top 10. I think the majority of tennis happenings is a total fucking joke in every sense.

Dont follow it anymore and it will be win win for everyone. :wavey:

Action Jackson
10-13-2011, 02:16 PM

You said you were going to ignore it? Follow your advice please :)

LawrenceOfTennis
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Ryan :facepalm:
Should have beaten Matthew then this weak Simon.
Simon is a clown, he plays the match of his life vs Delpo and now he's clowning.

BroTree123
10-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Ryan :facepalm:
Should have beaten Matthew then this weak Simon.
Simon is a clown, he plays the match of his life vs Delpo and now he's clowning.

It's not like that match against Harrison was close :shrug:

LawrenceOfTennis
10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
It's not like that match against Harrison was close :shrug:

First set was close but Ryan broke himslef twice. Then downhill ride.

jonathancrane
10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Matthew :worship: :worship: :worship:

MuzzahLovah
10-13-2011, 03:47 PM
:bigcry: I'm so sad about Simon- after that huge win against DelPo, he had a little let down against Lurch Isner, but I really expected him to have stellar hardcourt season after that. I mean, no shame in the way he played Murray in Bangkok, but these last two losses have been really disappointing, hopefully he'll fair better in Paris.

Orka_n
10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm liking Matty more and more. :D Another great result. The tour needs more fighters like him. Good luck in the quarters.

Lopez
10-13-2011, 04:16 PM
Filo V. bitchin' like a Jersey girl who broke her nail, what else is new.

On another note, nice to see Aussie tennis getting some steam, shame that the level has dropped a bit since the glory years.

nole_no1
10-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Always a GREAT result when Simon loses

:bounce:

Matthew :clap2:

Sombrerero loco
10-13-2011, 08:06 PM
ebden :hearts:
but gillou :hug:

Sham Kay
10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Am I correct in thinking Ebden will be ranked around 27 if he wins the whole thing? Hawt damn.

n8
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Am I correct in thinking Ebden will be ranked around 27 if he wins the whole thing? Hawt damn.

It's a shame he's got Murray next, anyone else left in the draw would be better.

asmazif
10-13-2011, 09:43 PM
This day is officially incredible, one of the best of 2011.

Ultravox
10-13-2011, 10:38 PM
He( Ebden) reminds me a bit of Djokovic. Something like Djokovic light.In terms of body structure and foot speed.
If he plays Troicki, for example,I will bet my money on him, without a thinking ...

fast_clay
10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Filo V. bitchin' like a Jersey girl who broke her nail, what else is new.

On another note, nice to see Aussie tennis getting some steam, shame that the level has dropped a bit since the glory years.

a wannabe jersey girl at that...

and this aussie is packed full of the warrior spirit by the looks... and, in todays game, that can be enough to make up for an arsenal of weapons and is definitely worthy of admiration...

i think what we are seeing here is the tomic effect dragging through some new aussie blood, and hopefully drags through a guy like matosevic - if only to make old jersey girl over here squeal a bit louder...

bad gambler
10-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Ebden having a dream last couple of weeks

Go go go go

Topspindoctor
10-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Simug :superlol:

This counterpunching clown should learn some attacking tennis or he'll plummet down in rankings.

n8
10-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Simug :superlol:

This counterpunching clown should learn some attacking tennis or he'll plummet down in rankings.

He tried that last week and lost 6-3 6-1 to Granollers.

Yes. Credit to Granollers for being at the opposite side of the net, cos that's all he needed to win it today. All the hard work was done by Gilles, missing left right and center.
I watched the game on that UUSEE site.

Stats:
Simon: Winner 11, UEs 24, 7 DFs, 1 Ace
Granollers: Winner 5, UEs 8, 0 DFs, 1 Ace

Gilles has more than double the winners count for winning only 4 games. Granoller won this match with 5 winners. Well done Gilles. Congrats to Marcel.

jcempire
10-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Ebden WOW
what a play
what a guy