When was the last time a M1000 was this bad?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When was the last time a M1000 was this bad??

henke007
10-12-2011, 02:10 PM
As the thread title says not counting Monte Carlo :cool:

4 top 10 players abscent..

Just take a look at the OOP for tomorrow.

http://www.abload.de/img/ian0qf9.gif

Action Jackson
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Must be bumper grape harvest in Sweden at the moment.

They're all bad, there is always something to complain about if you look hard enough. The last 2 TMS events of the year usually struggle, but that's not a surprise.

james82
10-12-2011, 02:19 PM
i dunno its actually been a good tourney
who cares if its not full of big names all the time with the same results every damn week :p

Action Jackson
10-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Shanghai has a great venue, but it's too far out of the city and could fit the crowd in a phone booth. That hasn't changed.

Johnny Groove
10-12-2011, 02:23 PM
It is the worst M1000 since the last one, of course. Mugs.

Orka_n
10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
This is not that bad. Check out Shanghai 09 for a real joke of a tourney.

henke007
10-12-2011, 02:29 PM

We haven't reached the 1/4 and 1/2 lineups yet, i doubt any 1000 except MC has had half of the top 10 abscent recently..

Action Jackson
10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
We haven't reached the 1/4 and 1/2 lineups yet, i doubt any 1000 except MC has had half of the top 10 abscent recently..

If you aren't whining, then the earth stops spinning around the sun. If it's so bad why do you watch it?

Shanghai has never been a great event. Bercy struggles and Groove is right as well.

Sham Kay
10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Not as bad as Paris Bercy will be.. of course a similar thread shall be created for that disaster. And then the next one.

james82
10-12-2011, 02:32 PM

well if the upsets keep happening it will get worse :P
so im guessing your not at all excited about ferrer vs ferrero???

Orka_n
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
We haven't reached the 1/4 and 1/2 lineups yet, i doubt any 1000 except MC has had half of the top 10 abscent recently..Even if upsets happen, that doesn't necessarily make it a poor tourney. A truly bad tournament is defined by a lot of retirements and matches of shit quality. We haven't seen that here (yet).

henke007
10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
well if the upsets keep happening it will get worse :P
so im guessing your not at all excited about ferrer vs ferrero???

haha you are very spot on ;)

hyperren
10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I love this board. If the top players keep winning, it's a shit tournament. If there are a few upsets and some other players go further than expected, it's a shit tournament.

MaxPower
10-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm mostly disappointed that in a city of almost 20 million people they can't sell more tickets. It's downright embarrassing.

Seems like they don't care about tennis if they can't watch Federer. I know that Nadal, Simon, Ferrer and friends sometimes bore people to death but come on.

I don't think Shanghai deserves a M1000 as it is. Give Germany one back or whatever because it's disgraceful that behind the biggest glory hunting for some of the missing stars there seems to be no genuine interest. Sorry for insulting the real fans in the city but you tell me that out of that giant city combined with all the people traveling there they can't get sell more tickets? :confused:

james82
10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm mostly disappointed that in a city of almost 20 million people they can't sell more tickets. It's downright embarrassing.

Seems like they don't care about tennis if they can't watch Federer. I know that Nadal, Simon, Ferrer and friends sometimes bore people to death but come on.

I don't think Shanghai deserves a M1000 as it is. Give Germany one back or whatever because it's disgraceful that behind the biggest glory hunting for some of the missing stars there seems to be no genuine interest. Sorry for insulting the real fans in the city but you tell me that out of that giant city combined with all the people traveling there they can't get sell more tickets? :confused:

yep its been empty for about 2 years now

Action Jackson
10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
yep its been empty for about 2 years now

Considering it's more than an hour away from the city. The venue is fine the location isn't. This is what happened the ATP like any business all whores have their price.

Sham Kay
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Apparently, no Federer, no Djokovic, no Soderling, no crowd = crap tournament.

Okay, I agree the lack of crowds is irritating for a masters 1000.

I personally think it would be a breath of fresh air to watch a Masters without most of the top guys playing. We don't see enough of certain players since they get dumped out too early by the invincible gods of the game. Would be nice to watch some high quality tennis and interesting new match ups from mediocre players, up and comers, youngsters and veterans.

Tennis isn't about just top players, it's about two guys going at each other hammer and tongs, entertaining us with their skills and court craft. Top players aren't the only guys who can do this, there are plenty of players out there to produce the goods to make a great tournament.

Also upsets are awesome. Watching a match as a neutral fan where there's a possibility of an upset.. not much better pleasure for a Tennis viewer, personally speaking.

lzhaol
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
who wants to watch Lopez - Alex match? :shrug:

esp considering its 11pm now :lol:

Sham Kay
10-12-2011, 03:12 PM
who wants to watch Lopez - Alex match? :shrug:

esp considering its 11pm now :lol:
Well the quality might not be the best and they certainly aren't exactly superstars, but I find the match interesting. A rare leftie serve/volleyer against a pretty aggressive player with a suspect temperament and amazing back-story. That match is a good example of the type of match that is actually pretty nice to watch if you would ignore certain negative points about it and give it a chance. There will probably be numerous similar matches this week and I for one plan to watch them all. Sure as hell beats having to sit through another Federer - Nadal match.

lzhaol
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Well the quality might not be the best and they certainly aren't exactly superstars, but I find the match interesting. A rare leftie serve/volleyer against a pretty aggressive player with a suspect temperament and amazing back-story. That match is a good example of the type of match that is actually pretty nice to watch if you would ignore certain negative points about it and give it a chance. There will probably be numerous similar matches this week and I for one plan to watch them all. Sure as hell beats having to sit through another Federer - Nadal match.

they are relatively unknown :p + already 11pm = poor attendance

but the match is good... alex is playin some good tennis.. rare occasion for underdogs to shine :angel:

jrm
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
God all mighty, what do you all expect???

Top players do not garantee good tennis, lower ranked players can play a decent matches, get over it!!!

Action Jackson
10-12-2011, 03:35 PM
God all mighty, what do you all expect???

Top players do not garantee good tennis, lower ranked players can play a decent matches, get over it!!!

Lots of gloryhunters around.

mooncreek
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
The biggest disaster is usually Paris in terms of players but the crowd for Shanghai this year is definitely weak.

Pirata.
10-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Everyone shits on Cincy as a tournament but at least the venue is virtually packed from day one despite it being in the middle of nowhere an hour outside downtown Cincinnati (though the amusement park helps)

Mountaindewslave
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
honestly it's remarkable because the roster does not seem that great for this masters tournament but at the same time somehow the first few rounds have seemed pretty interesting, at least to me. sometimes it is not so much the rank that decides the quality of the play as the atmosphere and intensity that the players create. improve on the big stage so to speak

Time Violation
10-12-2011, 04:59 PM
http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/c/c8/Statlerandwaldorf.JPG

philosophicalarf
10-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Tired players at this time of season, long trip here, many injury absentees.

It's not like this is new either - didn't Monaco make semis last year? Not exactly a hard court god.

For me, the opportunity for 2nd tier players creates a different interest. For example, look at the 3rd quarter. One of Tomic, Dolgo, Giraldo or ??? (I forget the 4th) will make the semi final, a career new for them.

If Murray were to have an accident due to way too much tennis, we could have a totally bizarre finalist. If it were Dolgo, it would catapult him into WTF reckoning. Simon even more so.

MuzzahLovah
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
This year the top 2 seeds are Murray and Nadal. Last year the finalists were Murray and Federer. Not exactly an enormous drop in quality. If both the top seeds got upset next round and we were left with a Beijing-ish draw, then that might be something to complain about.

Sonja1989
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Well I can't choose I dislike more this or Cincy anyway. :scratch: But it's personal problem.
It's another thing which one is worse, they are playing only third round. Too early.

Paris can be bad as well.

misty1
10-12-2011, 09:12 PM
honestly i think the rogers cup was more of a mess but atleast they had the crowds

china wants a grand slam and yet they cant get their own people interested in coming if a certain 2 players arent there, yeah lets give them one...not

Alex999
10-13-2011, 12:45 AM
It's horrible. OK, Djokovic and Federer are out but there are still so many good players playing this tournament. yet, there is nobody watching. Are tickets too expensive? I'd like to know what tennis fans who live there think about it.

shiaben
10-13-2011, 03:09 AM
I'm personally fine with it. I like to see an underdog raise their chances of winning a title ;)

Shinoj
10-13-2011, 04:37 AM
ATP wants business and money. They want to capture the "untapped" potential of China in tennis. But for that tennis needs to be popular in China. if its not its not going to happen. Maybe some of the Chinese guys on the board can give an insight on tennis in China. The interest has to be genuine and not personality based otherwise it will struggle.

For me personally it could be all worth it if Murray beats nadal once again.:cool:

BroTree123
10-13-2011, 11:34 AM
To be honest, it's a good chance for young guns to get good results when a majority of the top guys are absent :shrug:

nalbyfan
10-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Bercy 2006 was a disaster

BroTree123
10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Bercy 2006 was a disaster

It wasn't that bad, even though the top 3 seeds were all absent (I think). There were some good tennis matches from the underdogs.

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't really know how bad it is, since I've barely found any of it, but some of the guys in the QF and their draws to make it there are an absolute joke. And by that I mean EBDEN, RODDICK and DOLGOPOLOV (good player, very soft draw) for example. Ebden and Roddick, with their level of play, wouldn't win a match in a normal draw for a Masters.

The crowds are awful but the ones that go make noise and are into the matches. Ultimately, though, the event is just total boring.

tennishero
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
shanghai last year

blank_frackis
10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I actually think it would be more interesting if Nadal and Murray had dropped out as well. Winning a Masters is a big thing for players below that level and you'd have a load of guys with the potential to do it for the first time. As it is, you still expect either Nadal or Murray will win so it's not that exciting.

Orka_n
10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
This tournament just became very exciting. I personally love some talented wildcards (figuratively speaking) in the quarters.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Are you nuts?
I think Shanghai this year is hilarious.

Rodre Fegassi
10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Why don't guys give a crap about this part of the season?

Their apathy at the end of the year gives 2nd tier nobodies has-beens like Davydenko and Murray a false sense of security

American278
10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't really know how bad it is, since I've barely found any of it, but some of the guys in the QF and their draws to make it there are an absolute joke. And by that I mean EBDEN, RODDICK and DOLGOPOLOV (good player, very soft draw) for example. Ebden and Roddick, with their level of play, wouldn't win a match in a normal draw for a Masters.

The crowds are awful but the ones that go make noise and are into the matches. Ultimately, though, the event is just total boring.
"Ebden and Roddick, with their level of play, wouldn't win a match in a normal draw for a Masters."....are you drunk`? i hope so otherwise the comment is just stupid ;)

henke007
10-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I like some of the upsets today i must say, best day of the tourney so far and finally some good tennis.

Orka_n
10-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't really know how bad it is, since I've barely found any of it, but some of the guys in the QF and their draws to make it there are an absolute joke. And by that I mean EBDEN, RODDICK and DOLGOPOLOV (good player, very soft draw) for example. Ebden and Roddick, with their level of play, wouldn't win a match in a normal draw for a Masters.This is nonsense. Here is the real fact: Masters are never very good. :shrug:

GSMnadal
10-13-2011, 05:03 PM
This turned out to be one interesting tournament...refreshing to see this many upsets and new names.

rocketassist
10-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Nikolay's superb tennis in the SF and F saved that one.

v-money
10-13-2011, 05:58 PM
I think this tournament is great. Three of my favorites in Dolgopolov, Ferrer and Flo are still in it. I also don't mind Lopez and Nishikori even though I may not be a huge fan. Ebden making a run here is a great underdog story and a testament to some hard work.

The tournament will even improve if Pics takes out Roddick. Although I doubt anyone will stop Murray now, so the last few rounds may be a bit dull.

mooncreek
10-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Ferrer/Roddick is the only one of the Quarterfinals that make any sense... and Roddick is a faded case with a really kind draw. But if Roddick beats Ferrer, you have to think he's the favorite against two players who've never made a Masters final. People will actually think Roddick's got a chance in 2012.

Murray had better make the final because this is the softest draw he'll ever see in the Quarters and Semis of a Masters event. I'd like Kei to beat Dolgopolov because a Kei/Andy semi would be the craziest crowd we've seen for an male Asian player since the Paradorn days (yes, I know this is China, not Japan but point still stands). When Andy was playing in Bangkok two weeks ago, he specifically mentioned the crowd playing against Paradorn as the most lasting part of his 2005 run to the final.

romismak
10-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Overall terrible- no crowd, many top guys including Nole and Roger skipped this event, than all top guys besides Murray lost, actually if Murray didnīt win this event it will be disaster with nobody left in the draw. Ferrer is maybe 3rd highest seeded here, but besides Rafa, Berdych, Tsonga, Fish i think were most likely expected to win here- were bigger favorites than Ferrer so, 4 biggest competitors here for Murray are already out of the tournament, really Andy must win this. Only positive thing is that from those guys who take advantage of top guys being out are interresting players like Dolgo, Nishikori, Mayer.

Sunset of Age
10-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Overall terrible- no crowd, many top guys including Nole and Roger skipped this event, than all top guys besides Murray lost, actually if Murray didnīt win this event it will be disaster with nobody left in the draw. Ferrer is maybe 3rd highest seeded here, but besides Rafa, Berdych, Tsonga, Fish i think were most likely expected to win here- were bigger favorites than Ferrer so, 4 biggest competitors here for Murray are already out of the tournament, really Andy must win this. Only positive thing is that from those guys who take advantage of top guys being out are interresting players like Dolgo, Nishikori, Mayer.

I agree with the comment regarding the crowd, but is it really so 'terrible' to see some fresh faces make it far in the tournament? Rather the contrary I'd say. Rafa, Berdych, Tsonga and Fish were all here, and got beaten by the better player that day. You sound as if an upset should never happen...

romismak
10-13-2011, 10:50 PM
I agree with the comment regarding the crowd, but is it really so 'terrible' to see some fresh faces make it far in the tournament? Rather the contrary I'd say. Rafa, Berdych, Tsonga and Fish were all here, and got beaten by the better player that day. You sound as if an upset should never happen...

No i wrote there that positive things is that interresting players take advantage of this - Dolgo and others, but overall i mean this Shanghai is like WTA event- every top guy beaten and anybody in the draw could win - i know some people say good for th egame, but i think good for the game is when somebody from top guys is out- get beaten and somebody will make it far from unexpected guys, but not this case - that almost everyone from top guys is out- how i said besides Murray 4/5 biggest favorites here are out- i think that isnīt so great- maybe if 2/5 ok but not like this.

asmazif
10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
yeh this is now definitely an awesome tourny.

henke007
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM
:o

MIMIC
10-15-2011, 04:17 AM
I'm looking at this year's Masters and this is the only one that only had 2 seeds in the semis.

The others had at least 3 (although del Potro had a protected ranking at Indian Wells).

rocketassist
10-15-2011, 04:18 AM
This is nonsense. Here is the real fact: Masters are never very good. :shrug:

Since byes were brought in and 5 set finals went they have not been good.

Topspindoctor
10-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Shanghai was always a clown masters, hope the 2 bored chinese housewives watching in the stands will get their money's worth watching Pushray taking another title. Beijing WTA was better than this clownfest and that's saying a lot :o

rocketassist
10-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Shanghai was always a clown masters, hope the 2 bored chinese housewives watching in the stands will get their money's worth watching Pushray taking another title. Beijing WTA was better than this clownfest and that's saying a lot :o

tick tock....

MuzzahLovah
10-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Despite me not being able to see most of it (the damn Chinese keep scheduling the interesting matches and all the Murray matches at like 4 am), so far it has been an epic tourney. Nishikori's ascent, Murray's glide, Nadal's crashing and burning. Only Juanqui's injury/loss was sad for me, that and Berdych and Simon stumbling.

abraxas21
10-15-2011, 04:47 AM
has this been good or bad? i don't really know. in that regard i must confess that haven't watched a single match of the whole freaking tournament... still, that hasn't stopped me from trolling in the match results threads that weren't of my liking.

shiaben
10-15-2011, 04:49 AM
Neither have I but great for Kei I guess.