Nadal signs up for Halle 2012 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal signs up for Halle 2012

solowyn
10-12-2011, 09:07 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oct/12/rafael-nadal-queens-club?newsfeed=true

Nicely snagged, Weber.

BroTree123
10-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Wow really? :eek: Will Federer be there too? :eek:

Time Violation
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Fed returns to Queens then? :p

Sham Kay
10-12-2011, 09:11 AM
750,000 macaroons aye? Interesting business people Gerry and Nadal are.

solowyn
10-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Fed returns to Queens then? :p
He's not allowed to :angel:

BroTree123
10-12-2011, 09:13 AM
He lost first round in 2005 to Waske :(

tennis2tennis
10-12-2011, 09:14 AM
:devil:

MaxPower
10-12-2011, 09:33 AM
The world No2, Rafael Nadal, will not play at next year's Aegon Championships at Queen's Club, his traditional warm-up event before Wimbledon.

Nadal, who won the tournament in 2008, will instead compete in the Gerry Weber Open at Halle in Germany, where he will receive a reported £750,000 and where Roger Federer has regularly sought competitive grass-court practice.

I totally misinterpret that or it means he get's £750,000 just for showing up? Kinda sad when the tournament itself has prize money and a total financial commitment of € 663,750 (€ 750,000)

Welcome to the economics of tennis then

MariaV
10-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I totally misinterpret that or it means he get's £750,000 just for showing up? Kinda sad when the tournament itself has prize money and a total financial commitment of € 663,750 (€ 750,000)

Welcome to the economics of tennis then

Welcome, Max. :wavey: :shrug:
I understand the appearance money used to be even higher, the economic crisis, eh. :o
Queens couldn't comepte. :awww: No Eurostar trip next year for Rafa. :sad:

MaxPower
10-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Welcome, Max. :wavey: :shrug:
I understand the appearance money used to be even higher, the economic crisis, eh. :o
Queens couldn't comepte. :awww: No Eurostar trip next year for Rafa. :sad:

yeah I know about the big appearance money fed and nadal usually gets but didn't know it was more than all the prize money combined even. Because the number was in pounds too and not in euro.

STUHL
10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Amazing! But Weber announced last year after the Withdrawl of Fed, that he wants to sign Nole and Rafa, too. It is his dream to have the big 3 all playing at Halle!

Kat_YYZ
10-12-2011, 09:51 AM
quite a coup for this small tournament. I guess the tournament director didn't want a repeat of the disappointment from last year when Fed withdrew and they didn't have a 'big star' -- though in my opinion it worked out well for them, having two Germans in the final.

Yappa
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
One more proof that this, while being "only" a 250 tourney, is the most important german men's tennis event. :yeah:

MariaV
10-12-2011, 09:56 AM
quite a coup for this small tournament. I guess the tournament director didn't want a repeat of the disappointment from last year when Fed withdrew and they didn't have a 'big star' -- though in my opinion it worked out well for them, having two Germans in the final.

I think the attendance wasn't that bad either. The Halle tournament seems to be doing quite well but all "big 3" there, no way.

kingroger
10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/oct/12/rafael-nadal-queens-club

Perfect news! Rafa and Roger in Halle - that's awesome!

The Magician
10-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Nadull is so low on confidence he's trying desperately to play Olderer anywhere :o Soon he'll be playing Basel and Estoril in the hopes he runs into him.

Super Djoker
10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
Might aswell change. never getting Roger at queens again !

Sophocles
10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
The sad thing is, Nadull won't even make the final there.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
yesssssssssssssssssssss

Fedal On Real Fast Grass Finally

Yesssssssssssssssssss

If Only This Happened 5 Years Ago!!!!!!!!!!

Time To..................pray For Death!!!!!

tyruk14
10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Already planning his schedule around not meeting the Djoker. Sensible.

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Wow, call me a lucky baztard! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Fantastic for a yet already fantastic tournament (even when Rog doesn't show up, and he did so quite regularly the past couple of years, it has a great crowd and a lovely atmosphere). Hopefully Mr. Weber will have 'em both In Da House this time but one can never be sure... well one of them will do nicely as well. WOW, Fedal! :hearts:

Hopefully he'll get Dolgo back there, too. :)

Filo V.
10-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Seems like Rafa's haters have an opinion on everything he does.

acionescu
10-12-2011, 12:13 PM
WAIT, WHAT? :eek: :lol:

acionescu
10-12-2011, 12:17 PM
*calling my long-no-spoken-to uncle who lives in Halle as we speak*

dombrfc
10-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Organizers fear Fed will no show I guess... need a big name.

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Organizers fear Fed will no show I guess... need a big name.

After last year's fiasco with Federer not showing up (again!), Mr. Weber immediately said he'd try to get Rafa or Djoko to add to the line-up so I guess that's indeed been going on in his thoughts. Not that the tournament suffered a lot with Rog not being there as the place was well-filled all along, but of course not being able to really count on Rog indeed showing up raised some eyebrows here and there...

Mr. Weber gave everyone who had tickets to see Rog on Tuesday or Wednesday a discount for the this year's tickets btw. :D

Eden
10-12-2011, 12:57 PM
It will be the 20th anniversary of the tournament in 2012 so it was to be expected that they want to offer something special.

I'm looking forward to read which other players they try to hire.

It's nice to see Rafa playing a tournament in Germany again :)

solowyn
10-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Apparently it was £750k versus £400k from Queens. Serious outbidding!

Certinfy
10-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Scared of Djokovic and Murray? :haha:

Looner
10-12-2011, 01:21 PM
After last year's fiasco with Federer not showing up (again!), Mr. Weber immediately said he'd try to get Rafa or Djoko to add to the line-up so I guess that's indeed been going on in his thoughts. Not that the tournament suffered a lot with Rog not being there as the place was well-filled all along, but of course not being able to really count on Rog indeed showing up raised some eyebrows here and there...

Mr. Weber gave everyone who had tickets to see Rog on Tuesday or Wednesday a discount for the this year's tickets btw. :D

You can't be serious but you probably are... It was a fiasco for Fed to withdraw after playing 7 matches in 14 days and the last two being 4-hour-long ones?

That was not a fiasco but a good decision. If Nadalita had any sense he'd do the same (he's 5 years younger, mind you) but instead he doesn't and goes on to complain. Words should be used correctly otherwise you come out looking a bit silly.

Eden
10-12-2011, 01:24 PM
He lost first round in 2005 to Waske :(

Don't worry, he won't have to play against Waske again :hug:

German players have always been very successful in Halle even when big international players were there.

It's always dangerous to arrange a tournament around one player, especially considering the fact that Roger has withdrawn from Halle before due to having played the final of RG a few days before.

One more proof that this, while being "only" a 250 tourney, is the most important german men's tennis event. :yeah:

Exactly :)

I think the attendance wasn't that bad either. The Halle tournament seems to be doing quite well but all "big 3" there, no way.

In this case they could skip Wimbledon (as Halle > Wimbledon) so that the players get more rest before the Olympics :p

MariaV
10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
In this case they could skip Wimbledon (as Halle > Wimbledon) so that the players get more rest before the Olympics :p

You naughty Doris! :p :lol:

Time Violation
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Scared of Djokovic and Murray? :haha:

I guess the money is too tempting, there are many hungry mouths to feed :p

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 01:30 PM
You can't be serious but you probably are... It was a fiasco for Fed to withdraw after playing 7 matches in 14 days and the last two being 4-hour-long ones?

That was not a fiasco but a good decision. If Nadalita had any sense he'd do the same (he's 5 years younger, mind you) but instead he doesn't and goes on to complain. Words should be used correctly otherwise you come out looking a bit silly.

A bit touchy, are we?
As I was there, I can tell that it was a huge disappointment for all, even the more because Rog waited with announcing his withdrawal until mid-Wednesday, which didn't go down all too well, and rightly so. Had he announced his withdrawal a couple of days earlier, it would have been accepted a lot better.
Players are no angels, and I feel perfectly fine with my words calling out what happened for what it was. :shrug:

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 01:32 PM

:spit: :lol: I feel inclined to say 'exactly'.

tennizen
10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Probably wants to divert the extra money to his foundation:awww:

abraxas21
10-12-2011, 01:50 PM
now that pocahontas has recognized he can't beat fako, he changes tourney in the safety of the knowledge that fedclown has been and will always be a punching bag to hit

EddceLLent
10-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Nadal must've been quite annoyed this year that, after having won RG he came to Queen's and had to endure lots of rain delays. I don't think he'd have lost to Tsonga if the tournament was running on schedule, I think his main aim was not exert himself too much before Wimby, especially seeing as how Djok didn't play a grass tournament before Wimby and so was getting plenty of rest.

Of course there's a roof at Halle so there'd be less chance of rain interruptions, and like others have said perhaps the competition wont be as difficult.

Seems really stupid to me that Queen's and Halle are only 250 tournaments when, status-wise, they're considered more prestigious than some of the 500 and Masters tournaments. Even more ridiculous when you consider that 's-Hertogenbosch and Eastbourne are also 250s...

BroTree123
10-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Lol it seems that Halle is the new Wimbledon. The day a 250 tournament is relevant and prestigious :sobbing:.

jrm
10-12-2011, 02:33 PM
:help: at the fee

Corey Feldman
10-12-2011, 02:36 PM
what the hell does he think he is doing coming here :rolleyes:

no point dreaming of a Fedal match because Fed, as ever, will pull out

probably why Halle chased after Nadull

Sophocles
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
now that pocahontas has recognized he can't beat fako, he changes tourney in the safety of the knowledge that fedclown has been and will always be a punching bag to hit

Actually Halle is one of the few places I'd give even old-Fed a better than evens chance of beating Nadal.

abraxas21
10-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Actually Halle is one of the few places I'd give even old-Fed a better than evens chance of beating Nadal.

a young federer, yes. the old version, no.

even hewitt (whom was far from his prime) beat federer in halle '09.

Fiberlight1
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Queens will always be the better looking tournament

Johnny Groove
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Money talks, baby.

mooncreek
10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
These grass tournaments really should be 500 events. Halle and Queens draw better than the two we had last week.

Mountaindewslave
10-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Already planning his schedule around not meeting the Djoker. Sensible.

honestly I don't want to hate on Rafael because I know it is probably MAINLY due to the amount of money offered to him for just appearing / participating in the tournament, but one has to wonder if he really is trying to avoid Djokovic .... why would he play in a far less prestigious grass court lead up tournament? why flop off of Queens? there just is no logical reason except for MAYBE money or avoiding Novak. makes zero sense though, Queens is one of the most legendary tournaments and these top players are insulting it

EddieNero
10-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Smart move to avoid Djoker, at least Federer will always deliver and choke when it matters.

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
honestly I don't want to hate on Rafael because I know it is probably MAINLY due to the amount of money offered to him for just appearing / participating in the tournament, but one has to wonder if he really is trying to avoid Djokovic .... why would he play in a far less prestigious grass court lead up tournament? why flop off of Queens? there just is no logical reason except for MAYBE money or avoiding Novak. makes zero sense though, Queens is one of the most legendary tournaments and these top players are insulting it

Halle isn't that far a 'less prestigious tournament' than Queens, and anyone who has been at both tournaments knows that the conditions at Halle for the players AND the crowd are far better over there. Need I just say one word? a ROOF.

Of course the money is a big factor (though that suggested amount of cash isn't that huge, it's in the 'normal' range of what the top dogs get as an appearance fee for non-mandatory tournaments), and the TD in Halle wanted to attract some real big stars because 1) it's the tournament's 20th anniversary, and 2) (probably a lot more important) it's 'dangerous' to sell a tournament on just one big name - especially if that particular big name hasn't been all too faithful in his appearances the past couple of years. ;)

So last year Mr. Weber already announced that he'd do anything in his power to attract Nadal and/or Djokovic. I don't think Nadal's commitment to Halle has anything to do with him 'being scared' of Djokovic, it just turned out to be a better deal for him. I now just hope that Mr. Weber's wallet is empty, so we won't be seeing Djokovic turning up over there as well, :lol:.

Mountaindewslave
10-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Halle isn't that far a 'less prestigious tournament' than Queens, and anyone who has been at both tournaments knows that the conditions at Halle for the players AND the crowd are far better over there. Need I just say one word? a ROOF.

Of course the money is a big factor (though that suggested amount of cash isn't that huge, it's in the 'normal' range of what the top dogs get as an appearance fee for non-mandatory tournaments), and the TD in Halle wanted to attract some real big stars because 1) it's the tournament's 20th anniversary, and 2) (probably a lot more important) it's 'dangerous' to sell a tournament on just one big name - especially if that particular big name hasn't been all too faithful in his appearances the past couple of years. ;)

So last year Mr. Weber already announced that he'd do anything in his power to attract Nadal and/or Djokovic. I don't think Nadal's commitment to Halle has anything to do with him 'being scared' of Djokovic, it just turned out to be a better deal for him. I now just hope that Mr. Weber's wallet is empty, so we won't be seeing Djokovic turning up over there as well, :lol:.

I definitely agree that a roof might be good incentive to play there, however there is no argument as far as even considering Halle half as prestigious as Queens, do you know how old and respected Queens is? which is why it would be absolutely absurd if none of the top guys played there. Queens is certainly not second fiddle to HALLE, and it would be a shame if some old man's bribes positioned it that way

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I definitely agree that a roof might be good incentive to play there, however there is no argument as far as even considering Halle half as prestigious as Queens, do you know how old and respected Queens is? which is why it would be absolutely absurd if none of the top guys played there. Queens is certainly not second fiddle to HALLE, and it would be a shame if some old man's bribes positioned it that way

None of the top guys? Queens will be more than happy to keep Djokovic and Murray, who at that time will most probably be #1/#2 and #3 of the ATP rankings list. ;)
And yes, I know how old Queens is. I also know that quite a few visitors of that tournament call it 'posh' and 'stiff upper lip'. I guess you are of British heritage? :D

Calling Mr. Weber an old briber is a bit below the belt. He is a deeply devoted lover of tennis, like his predecessor in the Weber business (his dad), who actually started building the stadium some 20+ years ago with his own cash to be able to start up a high prestige tennis tournament. Wish some more big business guys would do so! :worship:

BodyServe
10-12-2011, 06:56 PM
I thought players had to pay to enter tournaments.

What a world we are living in.

Time Violation
10-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Novak didn't even play Queens this year, and Nadal himself looked like he would rather be anywhere else but there/went out easily. I'd say it's all about the money... over 1 mil. USD just to appear, nobody would miss that :)

Sonja1989
10-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Not bad idea but no matter until he doesn't take it serious. I'm referencing about his performance in Queens in last two years.

shiaben
10-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Great another meeting between the 2.

TennisOnWood
10-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Not bad idea but no matter until he doesn't take it serious. I'm referencing about his performance in Queens in last two years.

And he will not for sure in 2012. too.. Wimbledon is too close and hope he will be tired after 7th RG

scoobs
10-12-2011, 07:55 PM
That will be fun for Halle and I think it can be good for a player to change up the routine and see different events. Queens will cope, I'm sure, they've had him for several years now. It's business at the end of the day.

Eden
10-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Queens surely is the tournament with the longer tradition but don't forget that Halle usually has the best grasscourt player since Sampras ;)

There are threads here on MTF comparing the two tournaments and who has the better line-up. It's not surprising that Halle has many German players whilst for example it would be quite strange to see Murray playing in Halle instead of Queens.

It was to be expected that Roger and Rafa wouldn't play the same preparation tournament on grass during their peak years. It has to be seen whether it will be just an exception for the 20th anniversary of the Gerry Weber Open that Rafa is going to play there next year or if he will play the tournament more often in the next years.

Novak went back to Queens after having played in Halle in 2009 but who knows what will happen in the future?

Nobody says that Queens plays a second fiddle ;) They will always have a great players field but the same can be said about Halle.

Halle suffered a bit from the withdraws of players as Federer, Berdych (last year after RG) and Söderling (last year and this year).

nole_no1
10-12-2011, 09:15 PM
I think Djokovic plays Queen's
That has to be the reason

Henry Chinaski
10-12-2011, 09:18 PM
not sure it's a great investment considering how nadal usually played at queens

BodyServe
10-12-2011, 09:24 PM
They should invest on better grass instead of buying claycourters.

tangerine_dream
10-12-2011, 09:32 PM
He should. That's where Disco Nole plays.

acionescu
10-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I think Djokovic plays Queen's
That has to be the reason

Yeah. Beats the other 750.000 reasons presented to him :stupid:

delboy
10-12-2011, 09:41 PM
good decision, no? avoids faker and gets a ridiculous sum of money to just turn up. Would be funny if he went out first round..

Egreen
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Nadal trying to destroy Federer's confidence before Wimbledon(2012 is Federer's last chance to win Wimbledon).:rolleyes:

The Magician
10-12-2011, 10:26 PM
Gonna be hilarious when he tanks out of the first round against some mug. Should teach tournament officials not to bribe someone with no moral qualms about taking a million dollars and running and the entire ATP mafia behind him :o

Corey Feldman
10-12-2011, 10:32 PM
tbh Federer should play Queens, but he'll crap out as usual

recovering from his exhausting 3rd round French Open performance

Topspindoctor
10-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Good. It's time Halle had actual good players in the draw instead of challenger level clowns with Olderer being granted an easy title every season.

Pirata.
10-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Good. It's time Halle had actual good players in the draw instead of challenger level clowns with Olderer being granted an easy title every season.

Since 2006
2011 Philipp Kohlschreiber def Philipp Petzschner
2010 Lleyton Hewitt def Roger Federer
2009 Tommy Haas def Novak Djokovic
2008 Roger Federer def Philipp Kohlschreiber
2007 Tomáš Berdych def Marcos Baghdatis
2006 Roger Federer def Tomáš Berdych

Roger hasn't won it consecutive times since his win in 2006 :scratch:

Smoke944
10-13-2011, 03:11 AM
I wonder if Waske will also sign up? :sport:

Topspindoctor
10-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Since 2006

He won the event 5 times :shrug:

Would be 6, if he didn't choke against his pigeon last year.

Pirata.
10-13-2011, 03:36 AM
Same with Rafa and Barcelona though :shrug:

Topspindoctor
10-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Same with Rafa and Barcelona though :shrug:

That's true, I wish more quality players participated there as well.

allpro
10-13-2011, 04:11 AM
fed is probably pissed. now his h2h w/ nadal will get even worse :o

Raferminator
10-13-2011, 05:09 AM
fed is probably pissed. now his h2h w/ nadal will get even worse :o
:lol:
You gotta know that Muger Frauderer tossed his cookies after reading about this knife in the heart betrayal by Gary Weber at Halle. Frauderer is fast losing all respect as people realize that his weak sauce tennis is yesterday's news.

This is Weber's way of politely telling Frauderer "Your weak sauce Tennis ISN'T Appreciated in Germany anymore! :mad: The people of this fine country want to see a Spartan Warrior out there giving 100% and entertaining the fans with brilliant shot-making and 'out of this world' Tennis skills. They DON"T WANT to see no Ballerina dancing and prancing around! :mad: This IS SPARTA, Muger! Understand, Chump?! I. Gary Weber. don't EVER want to watch that weak sauce you're selling, Muger! It stinks, you stink, your entourage stinks, and the people of Germany have spoken! Germany HATES Muger Frauderer! NOW GET OUT of here or I'll have you tossed out! You Bum!"

I bet Gary Weber never has offered Muger even 10% of the appearance fee he is giving to Rafa just to show up. That news is going to go down REAAAL cold on Muger's frailed nerves and shattered pride. That's right, Muger. Rafa has the World in his Hands, and in case you didn't notice, you are now officially his puppet! Dance, Pretty Ballerina, Dance !!! :mad:

Tell me now, Muger, how does it feel? How does it feel when your heart grows cold?

Rafa is the GOAT
10-13-2011, 05:46 AM
JusT got tickets FOR THE semis. Category 1 baby. Hope That Nole and Rog come as well. Then i may see THE top 3 in one day on grass

Tennis-Life
10-13-2011, 06:35 AM
You gotta know that Muger Frauderer tossed his cookies after reading about this knife in the heart betrayal by Gary Weber at Halle. Frauderer is fast losing all respect as people realize that his weak sauce tennis is yesterday's news.

This is Weber's way of politely telling Frauderer "Your weak sauce Tennis ISN'T Appreciated in Germany anymore! :mad: The people of this fine country want to see a Spartan Warrior out there giving 100% and entertaining the fans with brilliant shot-making and 'out of this world' Tennis skills. They DON"T WANT to see no Ballerina dancing and prancing around! :mad: This IS SPARTA, Muger! Understand, Chump?! I. Gary Weber. don't EVER want to watch that weak sauce you're selling, Muger! It stinks, you stink, your entourage stinks, and the people of Germany have spoken! Germany HATES Muger Frauderer! NOW GET OUT of here or I'll have you tossed out! You Bum!"

I bet Gary Weber never has offered Muger even 10% of the appearance fee he is giving to Rafa just to show up. That news is going to go down REAAAL cold on Muger's frailed nerves and shattered pride. That's right, Muger. Rafa has the World in his Hands, and in case you didn't notice, you are now officially his puppet! Dance, Pretty Ballerina, Dance !!! :mad:

Tell me now, Muger, how does it feel? How does it feel when your heart grows cold?

Are you insane? :cuckoo:

shuhrat
10-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Since 2006
2011 Philipp Kohlschreiber def Philipp Petzschner
2010 Lleyton Hewitt def Roger Federer
2009 Tommy Haas def Novak Djokovic
2008 Roger Federer def Philipp Kohlschreiber
2007 Tomáš Berdych def Marcos Baghdatis
2006 Roger Federer def Tomáš Berdych
Not that I agree with Topspindoctor, but Federer actually withdrew from the tournament in '07, '09 and '11.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Roger-Federer.aspx?t=pa&y=0&m=s&e=500#
Since 2003, when he won the title for the first time, last year's runner-up was the only exception.

ETA: I don't see Novak entering Halle in the foreseeable future. A fat appearance fee could lure him though, he didn't like the grass condition of it that much last time he played, saying it was a bit too slippery for him.

Commander Data
10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
good stuff.

Duncan
10-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Rafa after beating Stepanek last season..

“I’m tired but I like to play in front of this fantastic crowd and in a fantastic atmosphere. That is why I am here and why I had the motivation to play well.”

Sold out for 750k. Disgusting :(

delpiero7
10-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Rafa after beating Stepanek last season..

“I’m tired but I like to play in front of this fantastic crowd and in a fantastic atmosphere. That is why I am here and why I had the motivation to play well.”

When has he ever said anything other than the crowd being fantastic (other than RG).

He'll roll out the same line after he plays his first match at Halle next year.

Sunset of Age
10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Strange to see so many people making such a big fuss about that 750K appearance fee. Believe it or not, but that's nothing extraordinary for a top player to cash when entering a non-mandatory tournament. Do you folks really believe that it's any different in Dubai, Rotterdam, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, etc.? :scratch:

SloKid
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Apparently the decision is tax related (like how Usain Bolt refuses to compete in the UK, so he doesn't have to pay taxes on his income generated in the UK), there's an interview in The Times today with Neil Harman, haven't read it though (not available for free online).

Yappa
10-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Some quotes can be found here.
http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/115710.html

"I like to play in all the tournaments where they really want me," Nadal, who would have to reach the final in London to break even, told The Times. "It is good for tennis. There is a big change in Halle, they have wanted me to be there for the last few years but I really wanted to play in Queen's.

"The truth is, in the UK you have a big regime for tax, it's not about the money for playing. They (HMRC) take from the sponsors, from Babolat, from Nike and from my watches. This is very difficult. I am playing in the UK and losing money. I did a lot more for the last four years, but it is more and more difficult to play in the UK."

Looner
10-13-2011, 01:30 PM
A bit touchy, are we?
As I was there, I can tell that it was a huge disappointment for all, even the more because Rog waited with announcing his withdrawal until mid-Wednesday, which didn't go down all too well, and rightly so. Had he announced his withdrawal a couple of days earlier, it would have been accepted a lot better.
Players are no angels, and I feel perfectly fine with my words calling out what happened for what it was. :shrug:

So let me get this straight. Because you were disappointed Federer not showing up is a fiasco??? Well, he was injured.

abraxas21
10-13-2011, 02:22 PM

i bursted out laughing reading this. esp with the bolded part

i've gotta say it one more time, you're the funniest nadaltard around. keep up the good work

Sunset of Age
10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Pffft, I now wonder at which side of the draw one mr. Florian Mayer will appear... :bolt:

So let me get this straight. Because you were disappointed Federer not showing up is a fiasco??? Well, he was injured.

Keep on misreading my posts, you're doing an awesome job. :yeah:

Lopez
10-13-2011, 07:40 PM
The only reason England got the Champions League Final at Wembley is that
the Government exempted all the players from the tax regime !!!

If they had not, UEFA would have taken it elsewhere

Yeah the taxation system is ridiculous.

It's why Bolt never races in Britain even though he's really popular there.

guga2120
10-13-2011, 08:44 PM
I have always thought very highly of Rafa, but him complaining about taxes in the UK and going to play a joke of tournament like Halle over Queens, is ridicuolus. :(

Matt01
10-13-2011, 09:41 PM
I have always thought very highly of Rafa, but him complaining about taxes in the UK and going to play a joke of tournament like Halle over Queens, is ridicuolus. :(

:rolleyes:

Getta
10-13-2011, 09:44 PM
yup, the benefits of the retractable roof in halle are massive

halle, a joke of a tournament? you're joking, right?

Corey Feldman
10-13-2011, 09:46 PM
and ppl accused Fed of being the money Ho

guga2120
10-13-2011, 09:48 PM
halle, a joke of a tournament? you're joking, right?

Compared to queens it is.

The surface at Halle has always been a joke its uneven and has dead spots. Queens is better conditioned than Wimbledon. The court is perfect.

Matt01
10-13-2011, 09:51 PM

The surface at Halle has always been a joke its uneven and has dead spots. Queens is better conditioned than Wimbledon. The court is perfect.

Then why does a player like Federer prefer Halle over Queens when Halle is such a big joke with such a bad surface :confused:

BodyServe
10-13-2011, 09:53 PM

This

Then why does a player like Federer prefer Halle over Queens when Halle is such a big joke with such a bad surface :confused:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

EddieNero
10-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Maybe because it's easier to keep 5 courts in a good shape rather than 30.

scoobs
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
The tax situation needs to be changed to be made fair so that team sportspeople do not benefit compared to people who play solo sports and make sure the rates are not a deterrent.

However the guy is seriously loaded so complaining that a bit more of his money is being taken than he'd like, considering the economic situation right now (114,000 lost their jobs in the last 3 months), he's not going to find much sympathy

Sham Kay
10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Well there's the dosh. Also, I remember reading a story about Queens failing to give Federer a wildcard early in his career, making his decision to switch to Halle that much easier. Unless I was dreaming I read that..

LawrenceOfTennis
10-13-2011, 10:03 PM
I have a feeling he'll play Raonic there.

Matt01
10-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Well there's the dosh. Also, I remember reading a story about Queens failing to give Federer a wildcard early in his career, making his decision to switch to Halle that much easier. Unless I was dreaming I read that..

And just because he wasn't given a WC at one time, that means that he has taken the burden to play that joke of a tournament in Halle on that horrible surface?
Federer, I've found some new respect for you :worship:

Filo V.
10-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Bitches are crying because you're bitter he makes money, is in the position to make MORE money by making a smart transaction, and you don't make money. That's all this is. People are haters. Don't hate a dude making money. Tennis is a BUSINESS and Rafa is a business man, making the correct decision and looking out for his best interests', which is making as much money as possible. You never know when the career ends, so any player should set out to make as much money as possible. And that's common sense.

If anything, the people who deserve criticism are those who look down on a guy raking in dough you'll never see.

DomachowskaDreamer
10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
And Nadal is crying because of taxes, although he get's a 3/4Mil. to play a tournament :o :facepalm:

EddieNero
10-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Bitches are crying because you're bitter he makes money, is in the position to make MORE money by making a smart transaction, and you don't make money. That's all this is. People are haters. Don't hate a dude making money. Tennis is a BUSINESS and Rafa is a business man, making the correct decision and looking out for his best interests', which is making as much money as possible. You never know when the career ends, so any player should set out to make as much money as possible. And that's common sense.

If anything, the people who deserve criticism are those who look down on a guy raking in dough you'll never see.

This is such a crap. A player of Nadal's caliber,an elite athlete and millionaire, shouldn't make this sort of decision due to financial reasons.
Nobody will convince me Rafa needs this money SO BADLY that he's compelled to sign up with Halle in order to survive and feed his family.
Would you change your current job because the other company pays you 5$ more per month? Don't think so.

MariaV
10-14-2011, 07:48 AM
This is such a crap. A player of Nadal's caliber,an elite athlete and millionaire, shouldn't make this sort of decision due to financial reasons.
Nobody will convince me Rafa needs this money SO BADLY that he's compelled to sign up with Halle in order to survive and feed his family.
Would you change your current job because the other company pays you 5$ more per month? Don't think so.

Dude, THAT's the point, it's not just 5$ more. :lol: :p

EddieNero
10-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Dude, THAT's the point, it's not just 5$ more. :lol: :p

For someone who made 43 milions on court and twice as much on ads is like 5$ for a regular person.

MariaV
10-14-2011, 08:31 AM
For someone who made 43 milions on court and twice as much on ads is like 5$ for a regular person.

It's not like he'll go and have a regular job after his pro career, he's gotta cash in while he can and cash in big in those days of turmoil we have now and that's a loooot of more cash than Queens offered plus I read about the taxation issues in the UK were a factor. :o

delpiero7
10-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Erm, no.

Nadal has been on tour for 10 years, in which time he has earned $44m in prize money. That's an average of $4.4m per year. However, let's say that he only started making big money since 2005. That makes 7 years, making an average of $6.3m per year in prize money.

I have no idea how much Nadal makes from endorsements, but lets say it is $20m a year (I highly doubt it is anywhere near that). Add that to his prize money = about $26.3m a season.

Now lets consider appearance fees as being a bonus. According to the articles, his appearance fee for Halle (for a maximum of 1 week of work) will be £750k, which converts to $1.2m. Queen's reportedly offered £400k ($640k). A difference of near enough $600k. A $600k bonus on top of generously estimated earnings of $27m a year is an additional 2.2% income.

Now, compare that to your average Joe who earns $40k a year in his job. An extra 2.2% bonus for this guy would be $880, not $5 as you estimated. This is for doing exactly the same job, in arguably better conditions (a roof in Halle, so Nadal is unlikely to be affected by rain delays as he has been at Queen's.

So there :p

But seriously, these guys are on the road all year. Unless the tournament was being held right outside his house in Mallorca, how big is the difference between playing in England or Germany. If he were flying to play a Wimbledon tune up in New Zealand then maybe an eyebrow would be raised. But as far as this particuar situation goes, all it is is common sense.

Filo V.
10-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Yes, I would change jobs immediately if I was offered a job that made $5.00 more per paycheck. Because at the end of the day, we all work for money, so therefore, if the opportunity to make more money is presented to you, one should jump on it.

abraxas21
10-14-2011, 02:59 PM
rich kid from a wealthy family complaining about taxes...

colour me surprised

abraxas21
10-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes, I would change jobs immediately if I was offered a job that made $5.00 more per paycheck. Because at the end of the day, we all work for money, so therefore, if the opportunity to make more money is presented to you, one should jump on it.

i hope thats not how you make your job decisions in real life. most people take other things into account like:

1- work environment (friends at work, good boss, friendly colleages)

2- labour conditions (proximity to home, sanitation of the restrooms, clean places, etc)

3- appreciation of one's work (if you like your job, you're probly willing to sacrifice a few bucks in order to do it)

4- long term possibilities of promotion (something related to money but not for the time being)

delpiero7
10-14-2011, 05:14 PM
i hope thats not how you make your job decisions in real life. most people take other things into account like:

2- labour conditions (proximity to home, sanitation of the restrooms, clean places, etc)

3- appreciation of one's work (if you like your job, you're probly willing to sacrifice a few bucks in order to do it)

4- long term possibilities of promotion (something related to money but not for the time being)

Spot on. However, none of it applies to Nadal in this situation. He spends the whole year travelling the globe playing tennis. The only way this would have been a questionable decision was if the tournament halfway across the world rather than in Germany.

Either way, Nadal would be playing tennis. He'll have some of his team around him I'm sure, as well as there being players that he knows and gets on with also in Halle.

If he traded a week of tennis at Queen's to go and skin cats for a week for $1.2m, then there would be a controversy. But switching from one tournament to another where he will be doing exactly the same job, in arguably better conditions, all of which is just a couple of hours away from Queen's is just common sense given the sums involved.

Filo V.
10-14-2011, 05:25 PM

I don't care about anything outside of making money when it comes to work. If I can make fast money as quick as possible and keep it going without a dry spell. That's #1, #2, #3 and #4 on my list. How can I make fast, big money. I don't work to make friends and I don't work to have fun. Work sucks, it's not fun, and if I didn't have to work I wouldn't. I just want the cash.

Now, #2 and #4 are important to some degree as well. The travel, I would want to obviously be close to home, because I don't want to put myself in any risk to get in a car accident or crime or something going through bad streets or bad areas. Also, the promotion aspect is important, but with that said, if I don't get a promotion or feel I'm getting the money I deserve, I'll just leave. Because, at the end of the day, I work to make money. We all work to make money. That's the only enjoyable thing about working. If I ain't making money I ain't working.

Eden
11-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Rafa signed a 3 years contract with the tournament. According to German media Rafa said today that the Gerry Weber Open are a fantastic tournament and that he is looking forward to play again in Germany and in front of his German fans. He added that he likes to play on grass and that that part of the season would be very important for him. A success in Halle would give him a huge boost for Wimbledon and the Olympic Games in London.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5jPaVd2oLYBi9YIqexJoBgOBIT2kA?docId=photo_132 1637577073-1-0&size=l

Matt01
11-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Rafa :hearts:

Sunset of Age
11-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Rafa signed a 3 years contract with the tournament. According to German media Rafa said today that the Gerry Weber Open are a fantastic tournament and that he is looking forward to play again in Germany and in front of his German fans. He added that he likes to play on grass and that that part of the season would be very important for him. A success in Halle would give him a huge boost for Wimbledon and the Olympic Games in London.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/media/ALeqM5jPaVd2oLYBi9YIqexJoBgOBIT2kA?docId=photo_132 1637577073-1-0&size=l

Yeah, just read the news. :cheerleader:
Well Eden, is it possible to already order tickets for three years in advance? :drool:

Naudio Spanlatine
11-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Im happy for rafa and the german fans:hug: :hug: :hug: :cheerleader:

Pirata.
11-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Roger :haha:

Fedex
11-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Halle is a better tournament than Queens anyway. No brainer move, IMO.

Sunset of Age
11-19-2011, 01:43 AM

Yep. Anyone who's been there knows this.
Good move Mr. Weber. :worship:

delboy
11-19-2011, 01:51 AM
According to German media Rafa said today that the Gerry Weber Open are a fantastic tournament

NID

delboy
11-19-2011, 01:53 AM

true. should be upgraded to 500. or even masters. drop something shit like Cincy and upgrade Halle.

Guy Haines
11-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Scheduling's a card game, and this is a smart move in an Olympic year.

I prefer Queen's but what does it matter.

Cry me a river Rafa with the tax talk, especially at the present moment.

Naudio Spanlatine
11-19-2011, 03:51 AM
if i was rich i would hate to pay those ridiculous taxes too......:shrug:

Mountaindewslave
11-19-2011, 04:23 AM

i agree with this. it is a bit distasteful, Nadal deciding which tournaments to play purely on commitment bonuses

tektonac
11-19-2011, 04:42 AM
another proof german economy is doing well. brits may be able to buy him back once libyan oil kicks in :)

nalbyfan
11-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Old news known several weeks ago...Mr Greedy refuses to pay UK's taxes.
Rolex poseur said he could play the Queens...wait and see if it's true

Pirata.
11-19-2011, 02:24 PM
true. should be upgraded to 500. or even masters. drop something shit like Cincy and upgrade Halle.

Cincy is only remaining quick outdoor tennis court on tour, it's not going anywhere :wavey: