My useless tennis adventure [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

My useless tennis adventure

Luinir
10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I am playing tennis for 2 years just for fun and playing it REALLY bad. Last week i trained with some decent national player and saw that i am not THAT awful. (well, i am still bad but can rally a little bit with someone at least) I was thinking always about a being tennis player. Well, last week i went to a tennis club which is a near to my house and got into one-year membership (with fitness as well). For sure, i am not going to be a tennis player after my 18 (actually, i am turning into my 18 in November but anyway) but i think that i still can be a good national player in a few years if i train almost everyday and maybe can get a job in tennis world at somewhere. (i am studying at journalism school in university as well)

So, i really got pumped for it and want to see how it goes. I just decided to open a thread and want to write my reports. I know almost noone cares but i don't give a shit to it, i just want to write to make my mind clear and maybe get some support from some people. Obviously, i can't update this thread everyday but i will work to do it.

Yesterday was my first day at the club and i didn't played tennis since it's a rainy day. I just went to GYM and did cycling, treadmill etc. for an hour.

I will play in club's championship next week and i will play in a official senior tournament in the very same week at "newbie category". Club's championship will be on clay, other tournament will be on hard. So it will be hard to adjust but i will try hard to do it. Also, these two tournaments will be my first two tournaments in my useless tennis career, so it's most likely that i will lose them with getting double bagel but i don't care, i just want to see my level at the competetive level. After these tournaments hopefully i will be able to get a partner which is a near to my level and will train HARD with him.

Vamos.

cobalt60
10-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Good luck! I think somewhere here on MTF there is a forum for amateur players as well so you may want to update this thread there:)

Goldenoldie
10-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Best of luck

Johnny Groove
10-12-2011, 12:19 AM
You are not even 18? Dude, you have plenty of time. With the right training, you could definitely be a top 100 player. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It won't be easy, it will take a lot of work and mental strength, but anyone can do anything, mate.

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Keep up the good spirits, Luinir :yeah:

Luinir
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Good luck! I think somewhere here on MTF there is a forum for amateur players as well so you may want to update this thread there:)

Thank you!

Best of luck

Thank you my old Tennis Tipping partner. :p

You are not even 18? Dude, you have plenty of time. With the right training, you could definitely be a top 100 player. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It won't be easy, it will take a lot of work and mental strength, but anyone can do anything, mate.

Thank you Johnny. :wavey: What's about your career? You are not updating lately. Hang on mate. :)

Keep up the good spirits, Luinir :yeah:

:angel:

Still bad weather in here and courts are still unable to play, so today was fitness day too. 3km treadmill, 6km cycling and some other exercise. It was about 1-1.5 hours but it was really tough. I am not overweight but have a little bit belly. :p. (180cm, 75kg)

Club's championship cancelled. Bad luck. I am still playing on that senior tournament. The draw will be relaesed on Friday, i am really getting exciting, this will be my first match ever!

Dmitry Verdasco
10-12-2011, 12:54 PM
You did one hour of training on your first day, when you're most motivated? And you're going on about your useless career and probably getting double bagelled... you're already making excuses for not putting in the work.

But good luck :)

Gagsquet
10-12-2011, 01:05 PM

Wow you are spreading nonsense. Please stop. Thanks.

Luinir
10-12-2011, 01:21 PM
You did one hour of training on your first day, when you're most motivated? And you're going on about your useless career and probably getting double bagelled... you're already making excuses for not putting in the work.

But good luck :)

Well, i have a trainer and she didn't want to me train for 3 hours just in the first week. :rolleyes: That's not in my control, my body is still rusty, so the time will increase in time for sure. Especially when the courts are able to play, i get into courts as well.

These are not excuses, but giving your ALL when it's just beginning is nonsense. When i'm getting more fit and fit, it will get better. I have a lot of time.

Luinir
10-12-2011, 01:22 PM

I will be very happy even if i could be top 100 player just in my country. :)

Johnny Groove
10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Thank you Johnny. :wavey: What's about your career? You are not updating lately. Hang on mate. :)

Got 6 or 7 tournaments almost every weekend from here to mid December, including one this weekend.

It is only nonsense if you believe it to be nonsense.

Dmitry Verdasco
10-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Well, i have a trainer and she didn't want to me train for 3 hours just in the first week. :rolleyes: That's not in my control, my body is still rusty, so the time will increase in time for sure. Especially when the courts are able to play, i get into courts as well.

These are not excuses, but giving your ALL when it's just beginning is nonsense. When i'm getting more fit and fit, it will get better. I have a lot of time.

I love your new attitude :hearts:

What country are you from?

Caesar1844
10-13-2011, 01:03 AM
It is only nonsense if you believe it to be nonsense.
Meaningless and unverifiable statement.

I applaud the OP's attitude. It's healthy and realistic, unlike that of a few wannabe pros on this site.

Luinir
10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
I love your new attitude :hearts:

What country are you from?

Thanks. Turkey.

Today i did some tests with my fitness trainer. So, i'm not 75kg, i'm 74kg. :p The percentage of fat is really low on my body, so i am not going to do so much cardio. I'll just make a little bit cardio since it is for my condition. Apart from that, i will work on my muscles mostly which is a good news. :p The weather is finally well here, so i want to play tennis tomorrow since i will play in a tournament in a few days. I don't want to go to tournament without playing tennis for a week. :rolleyes:

bokehlicious
10-13-2011, 01:32 PM

I've learned on MTF that all it takes to become a top 100 tennis player is to be really motivated, anyone can do it :shrug: if only I was 20 years younger I could be the new Borg for sure :sad:

Johnny Groove
10-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Meaningless and unverifiable statement.

I applaud the OP's attitude. It's healthy and realistic, unlike that of a few wannabe pros on this site.

I've learned on MTF that all it takes to become a top 100 tennis player is to be really motivated, anyone can do it :shrug: if only I was 20 years younger I could be the new Borg for sure :sad:

Oh, ye of little faith.

Who would have thought that the black sheep of his family would discover America? (Chris Columbus)

Who would have thought that a kid from an island with no training but his Uncle would be one of the greats of all time? (Nadal)

Who would have thought that a white guy would be the greatest rapper alive? (Eminem)

If you two believe in what you post and your mentality, you won't do shit. The mind is the most powerful muscle in the body.

Caesar1844
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
None of those things you list is a physical impossibility. An ordinary rec player in their 20s improving their skills enough to be one of the 100 best players in the world is a physical impossibility. You will not find a single educated person who wouldn't laugh in your face.

And only white people think Eminem is the greatest rapper alive.

Johnny Groove
10-13-2011, 03:59 PM
None of those things you list is a physical impossibility. An ordinary rec player in their 20s improving their skills enough to be one of the 100 best players in the world is a physical impossibility. You will not find a single educated person who wouldn't laugh in your face.

So what if they laugh in your face? They don't know shit. Anything is possible.

And only white people think Eminem is the greatest rapper alive.

You shitting me? I am a mixed racial and Eminem is for sure the best rapper alive.

Who is better? Jay-Z? Nas? Maybe. But even they would say Eminem is the best.

Caesar1844
10-13-2011, 04:07 PM
So what if they laugh in your face? They don't know shit. Anything is possible.
You have been watching too many Nike ads.

You shitting me? I am a mixed racial and Eminem is for sure the best rapper alive.

Who is better? Jay-Z? Nas? Maybe. But even they would say Eminem is the best.
Jay-Z, Nas, Rakim, Scarface and KRS-One for sure. Shit, even LL Cool J is probably better than Eminem.

The most overrated rapper of all time.

Johnny Groove
10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
You have been watching too many Nike ads.

I've seen it and I'm living it, dude. Nothing is impossible. It only becomes impossible when you believe it, like you do.

Jay-Z, Nas, Rakim, Scarface and KRS-One for sure. Shit, even LL Cool J is probably better than Eminem.

The most overrated rapper of all time.

:spit:

Are you serious? Those guys are all good, but Eminem, in mine and most people's opinion, is better than all of them. Em and Pac are the top 2 of all time, in my opinion at least.

Overrated is definitely not something I'd call Eminem.

Caesar1844
10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
I've seen it and I'm living it, dude. Nothing is impossible. It only becomes impossible when you believe it, like you do.
No you're not.

Are you serious? Those guys are all good, but Eminem, in mine and most people's opinion, is better than all of them. Em and Pac are the top 2 of all time, in my opinion at least.

Overrated is definitely not something I'd call Eminem.
Get me some of whatever you're smoking. Nobody who knows shit about rap thinks Eminem is anywhere near top two of all time. Just sneaks into the top 10 if he's lucky.

The Magician
10-13-2011, 04:43 PM
What happens when you believe it and it doesn't happen? Do you eliminate that theory or do you just decide you didn't believe hard enough?

Johnny Groove
10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
No you're not.

Get me some of whatever you're smoking. Nobody who knows shit about rap thinks Eminem is anywhere near top two of all time. Just sneaks into the top 10 if he's lucky.

Let's just agree to disagree.

What happens when you believe it and it doesn't happen? Do you eliminate that theory or do you just decide you didn't believe hard enough?

Well you gotta find out why it didn't work out. It requires more than just belief, but the belief is the core.

Caesar1844
10-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Let's just agree to disagree.
Jay-Z, 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Rakim, Nas, KRS-One, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Scarface, Big L, Chuck D, Ice Cube and LL Cool J I'd all personally put above Eminem. The first six or seven are pretty much undisputed by anyone who knows rap. The latter few I'll begrudgingly give you personal preference on.

And for the record, Rakim is the greatest emcee of all time. 2Pac's lyrics were overrated and he'd struggle to crack the top five.

Johnny Groove
10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Jay-Z, 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G., Rakim, Nas, KRS-One, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Scarface, Big L, Chuck D, Ice Cube and LL Cool J I'd all personally put above Eminem. The first six or seven are pretty much undisputed by anyone who knows rap. The latter few I'll begrudgingly give you personal preference on.

And for the record, Rakim is the greatest emcee of all time. 2Pac's lyrics were overrated and he'd struggle to crack the top five.

Again, agree to disagree.

JolánGagó
10-13-2011, 07:39 PM
All you guys pontificating on other ppl's lives are pathetic. Trying to convince others not to do what you don't have the balls, talent, opportunity, etc to do yourself... you truly stink and so will your lives, a pitty you will find out only when it's too late.

Sonja1989
10-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Hard work is always rewarding and you never know, you can be much better than you expect. :) Good luck!! :hug: Ahh and good thread. :yeah:

Caesar1844
10-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Again, agree to disagree.
Jeepers. You probably think Kanye is a good rapper.

All you guys pontificating on other ppl's lives are pathetic. Trying to convince others not to do what you don't have the balls, talent, opportunity, etc to do yourself... you truly stink and so will your lives, a pitty you will find out only when it's too late.
I don't have a problem with what people do. I just think that some of them need to have a hard look at why they're doing it, for their own good further down the track.

If someone's spending their 20s travelling around playing tennis because they want to kick back, relax, have fun and improve their game, that's great. But if they're going off trying to become a professional player when they're starting off as little more than hacks... well, that's just deluded and they'll end up broke and disappointed.

The guy in this thread has a great attitude. He's not setting himself any massive expectations - he just wants to improve to a good level and anything else is a bonus. As a result he'll probably come out of this quite satisfied.

I find it a little concerning that you think the only people whose lives don't stink are those who chase patently unachievable childhood fantasies of going from rec player to top pro sportsman (or garbage man to astronaut, for that matter) well into their 20s, 30s or even 40s.

Most adults come to peace with our own limitations and learn how to be perfectly happy living within them. It doesn't mean you stop aspiring to succeed, it just means that you're capable of distinguishing between realistic and unrealistic goals. It's part of growing up.

Henry Chinaski
10-14-2011, 06:11 PM
best of luck Luinir.

as for the hip-hop debate, basically everything Caesar 1844 said.

abraxas21
10-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Eminem is for sure the best rapper alive.

dude, it's stuff like this that tears apart your credibility on MTF

Johnny Groove
10-14-2011, 11:09 PM
dude, it's stuff like this that tears apart your credibility on MTF

Abraxas talking to me about credibility :spit:

The bottom line is, I personally believe that Eminem is the best rapper alive. People may have other opinions, but to me, Eminem is the best :shrug:

Luinir
10-16-2011, 08:33 AM
My draw is out. In my category, 13 players have bye in the first round (32-draw) and we have just 3 match-up's for the first round and unluckily i will have to play first round, i didn't get a bye in the first round. I will play probably tomorrow or Tuesday. We will see how it goes. It will be my first pro match, vamos!!!

KaiserT
10-16-2011, 11:03 AM

What is this based on? :lol:

Dmitry Verdasco
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
What is this based on? :lol:

Dmitry Verdasco
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Still good luck, it's just funny what people say :D

JolánGagó
10-16-2011, 11:46 AM
envy fungus taking thread over...

bad gambler
10-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I am playing tennis for 2 years just for fun and playing it REALLY bad. Last week i trained with some decent national player and saw that i am not THAT awful. (well, i am still bad but can rally a little bit with someone at least) I was thinking always about a being tennis player. Well, last week i went to a tennis club which is a near to my house and got into one-year membership (with fitness as well). For sure, i am not going to be a tennis player after my 18 (actually, i am turning into my 18 in November but anyway) but i think that i still can be a good national player in a few years if i train almost everyday and maybe can get a job in tennis world at somewhere. (i am studying at journalism school in university as well)

So, i really got pumped for it and want to see how it goes. I just decided to open a thread and want to write my reports. I know almost noone cares but i don't give a shit to it, i just want to write to make my mind clear and maybe get some support from some people. Obviously, i can't update this thread everyday but i will work to do it.

Yesterday was my first day at the club and i didn't played tennis since it's a rainy day. I just went to GYM and did cycling, treadmill etc. for an hour.

I will play in club's championship next week and i will play in a official senior tournament in the very same week at "newbie category". Club's championship will be on clay, other tournament will be on hard. So it will be hard to adjust but i will try hard to do it. Also, these two tournaments will be my first two tournaments in my useless tennis career, so it's most likely that i will lose them with getting double bagel but i don't care, i just want to see my level at the competetive level. After these tournaments hopefully i will be able to get a partner which is a near to my level and will train HARD with him.

Vamos.

Good luck buddy

Luinir > Ilhan in a couple of years time :cool:

KaiserT
10-16-2011, 12:15 PM
envy fungus taking thread over...

What are you babbling on about?

Nobody is envious here, Lunir has relatively realistic goals, and everyone wishes him good luck getting there. It offends you so greatly that some people pick up on a ridiculous and baseless statement that he can be a top 100 player if he just wants it enough?

Kraxths
10-16-2011, 07:01 PM

thats plain stupid, giving false hopes is worse u know

The bottom line is, I personally believe that Eminem is the best rapper alive. People may have other opinions, but to me, Eminem is the best :shrug:

and as the wise public says, opinions are like assholes ;)

Nothing is impossible.

you got fooled by Adidas

Dout.
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
GL :cheer:

Luinir
10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Thank you to all!

Last 10 days the weather was AWFUL here. I could practice just 3-4 hours on the court. Tomorrow i'll play with a tennis coach and he'll give some advices to me for my match. BTW, i still couldn't play the match due to bad weather but we're expecting good weather for 5 days from tomorrow. So probably i am going to play my match Thursday. (that's my prediction) Tomorrow could be my last practice before the match, vamoos!

Kraxths
10-18-2011, 10:41 PM
all the best, gl

Luinir
10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
This tournament sucks.

The tournament was supposed to start at Monday but there was rainy weather anyway. I called them last week around thursday-friday and they said they will call me to say when will i play my first round match. Then, the weather was fine for two days here but they STILL didn't called me. So today i called them, they said "oh sorry, we took your phone number wrong, so we gave your opponent walkover yesterday". But i knew... My opponent was from tournament's club and i was not. So they tried their luck and probably thought "if he doesn't call us, we will give walkover to our player". LOL. And this tournament is official FEDERATION tournament. I got angry and called federation. For sure i don't want to play my match from now on but at least i hope that they gets penalty.

Guys... This is how it works things in Turkey. LOL.

Johnny Groove
10-20-2011, 04:43 PM
This tournament sucks.

The tournament was supposed to start at Monday but there was rainy weather anyway. I called them last week around thursday-friday and they said they will call me to say when will i play my first round match. Then, the weather was fine for two days here but they STILL didn't called me. So today i called them, they said "oh sorry, we took your phone number wrong, so we gave your opponent walkover yesterday". But i knew... My opponent was from tournament's club and i was not. So they tried their luck and probably thought "if he doesn't call us, we will give walkover to our player". LOL. And this tournament is official FEDERATION tournament. I got angry and called federation. For sure i don't want to play my match from now on but at least i hope that they gets penalty.

Guys... This is how it works things in Turkey. LOL.

Hey at least you get a laugh out of it!

Luinir
10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
The worst thing is that this was the last tournament of season. Official season starts in March. Anyway after getting 4-5 months practice i should be able beat most of the guys in these competetion. In my this form, probably i would win a match at my best.

Dmitry Verdasco
10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Don't let the man get you down :hug:

Luinir
10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, this motivated me even more really. Now when i go to my first tournament in March or April (at the very latest) i want to win it and i know i will win it.

Hian-GOAT
10-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Good luck :)