Söderling back next year... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Söderling back next year...

sebbe
10-10-2011, 02:26 PM
There is an article in Aftonbladet today that he is in doubt for Stockholm Open and the rest of the season due to the sickness he has been struggling with since this summer.
One day he's full of energy and the next he has none - he just want to be healthy again and is tired of this.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/tennis/article13757385.ab

So my conclusion is that he probably will skip the last weeks and just rest for the next season, at least I think that is what he should do.

Eden
10-10-2011, 02:47 PM
What a shame for Robin that he has to skip the indoors season.

I really hope he can recover fully from mono in the next weeks so that he can have a great 2012.

bjurra
10-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I read the article too but I would not share your conclusion.

Edit: I mixed up this interview with the one in SvD.se. He sounds more pessimistic in this one.

Corey Feldman
10-10-2011, 03:41 PM
typical of tennis for me

always the players i like get injured, never the ones who play about 100 matches a year lasting 3 hours per match - they pull up just fine

henke007
10-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Tennis is laughable at the moment with Robin and Delpo not playing and Fed and Nole abscent for a couple tourneys. All my favorites are not playing tennis right now :o

Couldn't care less if he plays Sthlm or not but it would be nice if he played Valencia or else he will have 2 penalties in his 500.s + no London for 2012 rankings will be hard to get back to top 5 :sad:

AgnRus
10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I read the article too but I would not share your conclusion. I think he will play.

:eek:

sebbe
10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I really hope he will play if he is healthy enought but my experience with Robin is that he never comes back to early - instead he waits longer then normal just to be on the safe side.

But I guess we just have to wait and see...I cross my fingers..tennis is not the same without our Robbie!

Orka_n
10-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Actually Robin says nothing about being out for the rest of the season. He simply says he wants to get healthy before entering another tournament. The problem is no one knows when that will be.
It may take until the next year, we'll see.

MaxPower
10-10-2011, 05:14 PM
We'll see. Sod is back on court practicing and has played with former pros Bjorkman and T.Johansson during the past week. He just can't promise anything so he must be pessimistic or he would disappoint both his fans, the organizers (who are close friends) and himself if he withdraws again. Right thing to do. Gonna "officially" know the next 3-4 days if he plays Stockholm or not but right now it looks like no. Could also factor in that he got Rosengren as coach now that trained Ancic before. He will know the horrors of mono and make sure Robin takes the time he needs.

In the end he's looked great after long breaks before and it won't be the first time he has to fight his way back after a long break from tennis.

MariaV
10-10-2011, 05:19 PM
No point in rushing back too quickly with mono but I wish him full recovery soon. :hug: :hug:

Start da Game
10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
blind breed can now finally learn what mono really is......

Mateya
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
This is now becoming hillarious.
Federror not playing, Djoker not playing, DelPotro out, Soderking out, etc.
:confused: :help:

Special thanks to ATP with it's mission to slow down all possible surfaces and destroying players in the process.

Foxy
10-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Special thanks to ATP with it's mission to slow down all possible surfaces and destroying players in the process.

You still have Nadal, Murray, Tsonga, Fish, Berdych, Roddick, Nalbandian... What are you whining about? :shrug:

Tennis is not all about Federer, Djokovic & Soderling.

My advice to you: Change the sport. Go follow football.

The Magician
10-10-2011, 08:02 PM
When all the top players are injured/sick, recovering form injury, or half way to retirement, you get the same final in every tournament (Nadull-Fakervic) even though it's not even close simply because no one is left good enough to challenge it. It's amazing if you think about it, out of seven billion people we can't get two people in the world who can play the same level of high quality tennis at #1 and #2. Even further, we can't even get ten people in the world to make a top 10 that is competitive and not full of garbage. Truly a mug era for the planet earth :o

Orka_n
10-10-2011, 08:09 PM
You still have Nadal, Murray, Tsonga, Fish, Berdych, Roddick, Nalbandian... What are you whining about? :shrug:

Tennis is not all about Federer, Djokovic & Soderling.

My advice to you: Change the sport. Go follow football.Clown post as usual. Firstly, only 3 of the players you named can really compare to Fed, Nole, Delpo & Sod at this point in time. Secondly, you will stop watching tennis when Nadal retires anyway. :zzz:

Vida
10-10-2011, 09:15 PM
sad news. get well sod.

Pirata.
10-10-2011, 10:40 PM

What does this have to do with anything?

coonster14
10-10-2011, 11:36 PM
This sucks, get well soon Robin. :)

misty1
10-11-2011, 01:02 AM

robin being out has nothing to do with the schdule

shiaben
10-11-2011, 01:06 AM
I don't expect Soderling to compete anymore. He wasn't impressive this year either.

shiaben
10-11-2011, 01:07 AM
I think he'll remain a floater once his ranking drops.

misty1
10-11-2011, 01:10 AM
lets see..if he misses the rest of the season he'll drop 1000 points from paris alone and drop out of the top 10 from that. He;ll then drop the points from the YEC meaning he'll barely be top 20 at the end of the year. He's got alot to defend at the beginning of next year and without a top 10 seeding at the australian his chances of defending the 4R there are slim

robin is definately set to take a fall, question is how long it will take him to recover next year or if he ever will

jonas
10-11-2011, 01:13 AM
How long do you have to be out to be able to use protected ranking?

misty1
10-11-2011, 01:15 AM
How long do you have to be out to be able to use protected ranking?

alot longer than robin will have been out. Robin wont even be able to use it anyway because his ranking wont really drop far enough for him to need it

MaxPower
10-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I don't expect Soderling to compete anymore. He wasn't impressive this year either.

4 titles. Last 2 matches he played he completely dominated current #7 Berdych and current #5 Ferrer.
Also dropped only 13 games on his way to an ATP title which in itself few players would ever manage. Got dominating H2H vs Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych

lets see..if he misses the rest of the season he'll drop 1000 points from paris alone and drop out of the top 10 from that. He;ll then drop the points from the YEC meaning he'll barely be top 20 at the end of the year. He's got alot to defend at the beginning of next year and without a top 10 seeding at the australian his chances of defending the 4R there are slim

robin is definately set to take a fall, question is how long it will take him to recover next year or if he ever will

What he defends or not isn't interesting to the race. He already has over 2k points collected despite having five 0-pointers in his ranking after Shanghai. Currently 10th in the race and 10 more can't even pass his current points before the end of the year. Not that many more points to play for. Even if he doesn't play more this year he's not gonna fall lower than 12-14 but most likely he will and then he could even stay in the top10.

He hasn't lost any weight, is back on court practicing, hasn't even officially withdrawn from Stockholm yet. So it's definitely too early to write off his chances for next year at this stage

bjurra
10-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Yes, slower surface in Paris Bercy gave Robin mono.

Jomp1
10-11-2011, 08:15 AM

:lol: You must have pretty high standards then. 4 titles and 5th best win percentage on tour this season just shy of 80%. You're first sentence is too stupid to comment.

bjurra
10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
:lol: You must have pretty high standards then. 4 titles and 5th best win percentage on tour this season just shy of 80%. You're first sentence is too stupid to comment.

Soderling actually didn't play very well this year, somehow he always managed to dig deep and grind out wins anyway. That in it self is impressive.

henke007
10-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Like the match against Fiasco, that was epic :)

MaxPower
10-11-2011, 10:12 AM
To quote the man himself in a recent interview:

"When I played my best I've been better than the past 2 seasons but I didn't play my best in the biggest tournaments."

Sums up his 2011 right there.

misty1
10-11-2011, 02:53 PM
4 titles. Last 2 matches he played he completely dominated current #7 Berdych and current #5 Ferrer.
Also dropped only 13 games on his way to an ATP title which in itself few players would ever manage. Got dominating H2H vs Tsonga, Ferrer, Berdych

What he defends or not isn't interesting to the race. He already has over 2k points collected despite having five 0-pointers in his ranking after Shanghai. Currently 10th in the race and 10 more can't even pass his current points before the end of the year. Not that many more points to play for. Even if he doesn't play more this year he's not gonna fall lower than 12-14 but most likely he will and then he could even stay in the top10.

He hasn't lost any weight, is back on court practicing, hasn't even officially withdrawn from Stockholm yet. So it's definitely too early to write off his chances for next year at this stage

doesnt he lose a couple hundred points for not making it back to the yec? thats how i got him out of top 20 if he's out for the remainder of the season

merryploughbhoy
10-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Thats a shame he is out, He is needed at these tour events, when he's on top form theres not many better to watch. He could easily give nadal or tsonga a tough game and beat them on his day.

DYJBAA
10-11-2011, 11:51 PM
If anyhing I aw a DY fan should thank Soderling for not being able to play this fall season. There only needs to be 2 more withdrawals for him to get into Basel.

Sunset of Age
10-11-2011, 11:55 PM
One day he's full of energy and the next he has none - he just want to be healthy again and is tired of this.

That's exactly why a mono infection is such a pain in the a$$ - one day, or a couple of days, one feels fine - the next, totally out of spirits and fatiqued. There's no certainty of how well or bad you may feel the very next day. :o

So my conclusion is that he probably will skip the last weeks and just rest for the next season, at least I think that is what he should do.

Too early to tell. That said, I really hope he'll recover asap - after all, being out of the game for a long time doesn't make his chances any better either, as he'll be missing the daily routine of practicing, let alone playing matches at tournament level. My wishes for a speedy recovery, Sod. :hug:

Talking about yourself again, aren't you? :rolleyes:

Topspindoctor
10-12-2011, 02:25 AM
A shame, I enjoy watching him play indoors.

henke007
10-12-2011, 08:47 AM
doesnt he lose a couple hundred points for not making it back to the yec? thats how i got him out of top 20 if he's out for the remainder of the season

Look at the race Robin has 2100 points and Monfils around 1700 at 14th place thats the way the rankings is gonna end after London hence Robin will not fall further then about 12-13th place ;)

BroTree123
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Poor Robin :sad:

solowyn
10-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Go and recover fully Robin :hug:

Super Djoker
10-12-2011, 10:36 AM
He plays too much! he should have confidence in his ability to do well in less tournements! he has done this too himself! his decline is in full swing! Not that i am happy about it but it serves him wright for not taking better care of his schedule!

superganon
10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
He plays too much! he should have confidence in his ability to do well in less tournements! he has done this too himself! his decline is in full swing! Not that i am happy about it but it serves him wright for not taking better care of his schedule!

agree. he have played to much 250s this year. when u are an elite athlete, rest is as much important as ur exerscice (spelling?). imo he havent really adapted to top 4 in this genre. murray,nadal,federer and djokovic all aims on the big tournaments and then the smaller that is either on home soil or have a lot of £ and $.
but soderling keeps going bashing mickey mouse tournys with the motivation "winning more matches gives u more confidence"... at this stage, that motivation have proven its results...:awww:

Fumus
10-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Right... because it's the slow surfaces that are causing all these injuries.

:stupid:

Mateya
10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Right... because it's the slow surfaces that are causing all these injuries.

:stupid:

No, but they make players more tired, exhausted and injury prone.

:wavey: :silly:

shiaben
10-12-2011, 06:38 PM
He'll remain a floater. Dangerous for some players, irrelevant for others, depending on the match-up.

Dougie
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
agree. he have played to much 250s this year. when u are an elite athlete, rest is as much important as ur exerscice (spelling?). imo he havent really adapted to top 4 in this genre. murray,nadal,federer and djokovic all aims on the big tournaments and then the smaller that is either on home soil or have a lot of £ and $.
but soderling keeps going bashing mickey mouse tournys with the motivation "winning more matches gives u more confidence"... at this stage, that motivation have proven its results...:awww:

WHatever he´s suffering from, it clearly doesn´t have anything to do with the amount of matches he´s played.

nalbyfan
10-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Will he pull out of Stockholm ? He's still on entry list

sebbe
10-13-2011, 05:45 PM
He pulled out today, just as I expected....he told a swedish newspaper today that he has been doing some hitting the last couple of days but there is still no energy. He is very sad about missing one of his favourite tournaments.

scoobs
10-13-2011, 05:48 PM
It's a real shame for him and I desperately hope for him and his fans that this doesn't become an Ancic situation - hopefully he can come back to full health for 2012.

MaxPower
10-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Don't think he wanted to play Stockholm if he felt he couldn't do himself justice. No point in playing and completely gas in the 2nd set and lose to some unknown player in front of the home crowd. Tough decision but probably the right one. He needs to make his comeback with less pressure

star
10-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Mono is a strange disease, and there’s no way out but to let it run its course and recover strength. I wish Robin the best. It must become discouraging.

Really, until you’ve been really seriously ill for a long time, you can’t appreciate the toll it takes emotionally. I don’t even care about his tennis at this point. It’s more important to recover his health.

superganon
10-14-2011, 12:46 AM
on a swedish forum, guys have started disscusiong if soderling was cought for leaving a positive test for doping... the unknown source is also saying that ITTF dosent have the "guts" to show this information due to his high ranking ... its said that his punishment is 6 months off (counting from late july) So what do MTF think about this theory? is his mono a fake to hide the truth? remember the "so called" wrist injury for Rogers and Cincy that later just proved to be the mono?

sebbe
10-14-2011, 12:49 AM
He posted this tonight on his facebook!

"I'm extremely disappointed and sad right now. Playing in Stockholm is very special for me and it’s a title I still miss and dream about. I made an attempt to train, but my body just could not do it. I felt worse after practice and so had to make a tough decision to not play in Stockholm. I have to think long term and plan to play tennis for years to come. I believe the best days are in front of me. I will do everything I can to get through this difficult time and come back stronger and more motivated than ever."

Henry Chinaski
10-14-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't think Soderling is high profile enough to be protected by the ITF like that.

In fact I think in some ways Robin would be the perfect player to catch and punish to prove that they are, in fact tough on drugs.

Orka_n
10-14-2011, 01:06 AM
on a swedish forum, guys have started disscusiong if soderling was cought for leaving a positive test for doping... the unknown source is also saying that ITTF dosent have the "guts" to show this information due to his high ranking ... its said that his punishment is 6 months off (counting from late july) So what do MTF think about this theory? is his mono a fake to hide the truth? remember the "so called" wrist injury for Rogers and Cincy that later just proved to be the mono?Sounds like a long shot conspiracy theory to me. And why would Robin (and his coaches etc) just make up a wrist injury? Wouldn't he have said he had mono right away then? :lol: I really don't think it's that fishy... his wrist later healed but he got sick and threw up and stuff the day before the USO. :shrug: Actually to me, his mono diagnose explained a lot of things.

Kat_YYZ
10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
on a swedish forum, guys have started disscusiong if soderling was cought for leaving a positive test for doping... the unknown source is also saying that ITTF dosent have the "guts" to show this information due to his high ranking ... its said that his punishment is 6 months off (counting from late july) So what do MTF think about this theory? is his mono a fake to hide the truth? remember the "so called" wrist injury for Rogers and Cincy that later just proved to be the mono?

this just makes no sense. The idea of "punishing him privately" is just so silly. You have no moral issue with keeping it hushed up, but you're so morally outraged that you must mete out a punishment, so you and the player hatch a plot & make up an illness?? :rolleyes: Gasquet was ranked in the 20s when the cocaine thing happened in 2009. Not as high as Robin, but not a nobody, either -- and his result wasn't hushed up.

henke007
10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks Superganon for posting that crap in the thread :facepalm:

DanaKz
10-14-2011, 10:14 AM

:facepalm:

Sunset of Age
10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Perhaps better to leave the conspiracy theories out of this thread. Anyone with their eyes working has been able to see that Robin wasn't well during the majority of his tournaments in the past couple of months. :(

superganon
10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
im just posting it for u to make your own thoughts about it. a "what if scenario" :P

Kolya
10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I hope Soda comes back stronger and better for 2012! :yeah:

Planning long term is the best option for him.

emotion
10-14-2011, 11:44 AM
I think there's a good shot the conspiracy theory is true, though Soderling doesn't really seem the type to dope for me. But who is the highest ranked player the ITF has punished in last 20 years?

bjurra
10-14-2011, 11:55 AM
A person I know well worked for a doping control agency, visiting athletes (tennis players too) at home, collecting their precious urine. I would claim that there are far too many people involved in testing for any cover ups to be possible.

You conspiracy theorists must think Karlberg himself collects Soderling's urine, conducts the tests himself and then tells Robin to make up a story about mono. Doping tests are not conducted the same way they did back in the early 90s when Agassi got caught (with a non performance enhancing drug).

MaxPower
10-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Come on. I've read some stupid theories in my days but this is pretty bad. Just to amount of lies involved makes it impossible. So he would have faked sickness in multiple tournaments including bribing multiple doctors, anti-doping officials and maybe even a few tournament officials to lie? On top of that how do you keep people quiet in this situation? Threaten to kill them? give them money?

Soderling would be thrown to the wolves in no-time if he was testing positive. Could understand if it was Nadal/Federer but even then it would be stupid and strange way to do it. Wouldn't it make more sense than to say it was a back/wrist injury and say the player is out for 6 months instead of a sickness and have said player even going to different tournaments trying to play them. Makes 0 sense

bjurra
10-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Bjurra + MaxPower = All You Need To Know.

MariaV
10-14-2011, 12:13 PM

I don't believe it has any truth in it, just some silly conspiracy theory made up by some Swedish tennis fans. :o But then again what do I know. :o
I wish Robin all the best though, hope he can recover fully for the next season. Another Ancic scenario would be way too sad. :sad:

Action Jackson
10-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I love a good conspiracy theory, it's not like Söderling is a massive name therefore absolutely nothing in it. Bjurra and Maxi explained it very clearly.

sebbe
10-14-2011, 01:08 PM
We should just forget that theory - and just hope he will be healthy soon!

guichard
10-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Now he is out of Paris Masters

Li Ching Yuen
10-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Just call it a season and try getting back on track from January.

henke007
10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Its official now, Robins agent said in Swe media that he won't play either Valencia or Bercy:bigcry:

Orka_n
10-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Very sad news. I guess for Robin's sake that is for the best but I miss seeing him on tour.

sebbe
10-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Not a big surprise...I told u guys this would happend!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/tennis/article13787658.ab

cutesteve22
10-16-2011, 03:56 AM
too bad he couldn't defend his Paris title. recover soon

Kolya
10-16-2011, 05:49 AM
It is a shame indeed. The indoor season is where Soda does really well.

He is going to lose a lot of points from Paris and drop down the rankings. But he is got to think about 2012 and forward.

MaxPower
10-16-2011, 06:38 AM
It is a shame indeed. The indoor season is where Soda does really well.

He is going to lose a lot of points from Paris and drop down the rankings. But he is got to think about 2012 and forward.

Yeah especially since he was so good in his last match. Whooping Berdy and then Ferrer who is in the masters final today like they were qualifiers.

No one could have guessed THAT was his last match of the season. Not even when he got the mono diagnosis it felt like he would be out for long. Sadly it's more like an Ancic case now and me and the rest of Sods fans just hope to have him back in his good old shape at all. Poor Rosengren that coached both those players. He must feel like a curse is following him

Let that be a lesson to everyone making long predictions. Things change so fast. At any moment any of the top10 players can break down to injury or sickness and miss months or even a full season. Us fans never really appreciate how tough it is even to stay in shape and how hard and grueling it is to come back from issues like this

BroTree123
10-16-2011, 06:45 AM
It's time Robin.....it's time.

Ibracadabra
10-16-2011, 08:30 AM
typical of tennis for me

always the players i like get injured, never the ones who play about 100 matches a year lasting 3 hours per match - they pull up just fine

Look at my two favourite players, i feel your pain

rocketassist
10-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Would be amazingly good for tennis if he won one of the big ones.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I HATE Soderling but it is sad that hes goin thru an illness, i mean NO ONE deserves to go through an illness or cancer or anything thats life threatening or painful!!!!!

nalbyfan
10-18-2011, 01:03 PM
He's going to be out of top 10 ?

MaxPower
10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
He's going to be out of top 10 ?

Yes. He will drop 1000 points come Paris and he's not even playing. So unless about 2000 points is enough for top10 or he makes some miraculous wildcard comeback (not likely) he will be ranked somewhere 11-14. Then he defends 3 tournament wins early 2012 too so could potentially drop even further.

BUT the good part is that he defends only 180+360+90+0 in slams next year which is barely nothing for a player of his caliber and also not much in the Masters 1000. His ranking will include five 0s after this year. So it's work work work and if he plays his 2009-2011 level he could be back in top5 about this time next year.

Mr.Michael
11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Has anyone any news about Robin? Is he practising and is he getting better? Aussie summer is gonna be tough if he still isn't 100%.