Shanghai 1R: Young def. Gong 6-1, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shanghai 1R: Young def. Gong 6-1, 6-4

DYJBAA
10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Better match than yesterday for Donald, which was enough to earn a US Open rematch with Wawrinka. The qualies did him some good to keep the confidence gained from the last 2 months.

Now is where DY is the underdog for the rest of the event unless Murray gets upset off his bye.

Snowwy
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
What a gong show.

misty1
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
the chinese men are basically walking byes

thats cruel to say but the results they get on this level speak to that

tennizen
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
We can conclude You>Go from this.

jcempire
10-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Come on Donald............

tae04
10-10-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm satisfied if this is the only win he gets this week.

Ackms421
10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
ATP wins coming with regularity now for Young!

The Magician
10-10-2011, 06:57 PM
the chinese men are basically walking byes

thats cruel to say but the results they get on this level speak to that

It's weird too. The Chinese government showed at the olympics they have no moral qualms about "enhancing" athletes and pretending they're clean and doing anything to win which is what it takes to be a top player in tennis these days. If anything, China should be the most successful tennis nation since they do what Spain does in secret openly. I guess success comes in the WTA first and then in the ATP, and we've already seen tiny chinese girls in the WTA hitting the ball harder than is humanly possible. Expect China to rise to the top within 5 years even though it doesn't look like it now.

DYJBAA
10-10-2011, 07:09 PM
The top 'Chinese' player they ever had was Michael Chang

Ivo#1Fan
10-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Donald is definitely not a joke anymore. I didn't think I'd ever say that. Credit to the kid, he went through a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong rough spell. He may not win all 4 grand slams twice, but it sure looks like he'll be an ATPer for many years to come.

misty1
10-11-2011, 12:13 AM
It's weird too. The Chinese government showed at the olympics they have no moral qualms about "enhancing" athletes and pretending they're clean and doing anything to win which is what it takes to be a top player in tennis these days. If anything, China should be the most successful tennis nation since they do what Spain does in secret openly. I guess success comes in the WTA first and then in the ATP, and we've already seen tiny chinese girls in the WTA hitting the ball harder than is humanly possible. Expect China to rise to the top within 5 years even though it doesn't look like it now.

everyone keeps saying china is going to rise but i just dont see it. They dont have any good players now and no one of promise coming up..unless someone comes out ot literally nowhere i cant see the chinese men even having a top 100 anytime soon.

Asadinator
10-11-2011, 12:33 AM
everyone keeps saying china is going to rise but i just dont see it. They dont have any good players now and no one of promise coming up..unless someone comes out ot literally nowhere i cant see the chinese men even having a top 100 anytime soon.

But that is what they should be doing. You know Chinese parents, government etc, determined to be the best. They should be getting dozens of kids cloned with the same technique into tennis and dominating it.

out_here_grindin
10-11-2011, 12:38 AM

China and to a lesser degree Russia are unique in the fact that they put a lot of emphasis on womens athletics, just as much and sometimes more than the mens athletics.

Topspindoctor
10-11-2011, 12:38 AM
The only way for China to get a good tennis player is to convince a top 10 player to change citizenship. :haha:

fast_clay
10-11-2011, 01:48 AM
They should be getting dozens of kids cloned with the same technique into tennis and dominating it.

in fact, that's the current problem...

imagine 1000 nice, clean looking padlocks sitting on the wall... but there is no point to these 1000 locks if one key unlocks them all...

this is where a proper tennis culture helps... champions simply rise from a strong tennis culture that not only allows but encourages differing styles... and so, you create generations of players adept at not only opposing and experiencing differing styles from match to match, but you see the emergence of the best of a culture - and they are those adept at laying their own style on top of them all..

china would be better off studying successful tennis nations and investing their money in grassroots and club tennis, always providing many different avenues for junior and senior advancement...