Best athlete of the top 4 at their peak? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best athlete of the top 4 at their peak?

oomph
10-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd say

Nadal=Murray>=Djokovic=Federer.

Discuss.

BodyServe
10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Best athlete for what? tennis?
For anything Federer is the worst, oh wait maybe not marathon.

oomph
10-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Best athlete for what? tennis?
For anything Federer is the worst, oh wait maybe not marathon.

yeah, jackass, there was Tennis before 2011.

he was a beast around 2005.

Swiss_Bagels17
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Federer's peak fitness in his prime was better than the 3 put together.

oomph
10-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Federer's peak fitness in his prime was better than the 3 put together.

I said athleticism.

He was never as fast as Nadal ieven in his prime.

BodyServe
10-09-2011, 10:14 AM
yeah, jackass, there was Tennis before 2011.

he was a beast around 2005.

Funny you put Federer=Djokovic while Djokovic as a far more physical dimension to his game.

oomph
10-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Funny you put Federer=Djokovic while Djokovic as a far more physical dimension to his game.

Federer was not inferior in any aspect execpt flexibility. he was in no way slower or less explosive.

BodyServe
10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Federer was not inferior in any aspect execpt flexibility. he was in no way slower or less explosive.

To me he has less strenght on the upper body than the other 3, and he his more flexible than people thinks. He used to have some lost of stamina too even at his peak but who doesn't anyway.

Imperfect Angel
10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Nadal > Federer > Djokovic >>> Murray

oomph
10-09-2011, 10:36 AM
To me he has less strenght on the upper body than the other 3, and he his more flexible than people thinks. He used to have some lost of stamina too even at his peak but who doesn't anyway.

Djokovic isn't that massive either. Also, most of his power comes from timing and his legs. His shoulders are pretty broad as well.

Sonja1989
10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Nadal > Djokovic > Federer > Murray in my opinion. :angel:

Yilansan
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Nadal > Federer > Murray=Djokovic

MatchFederer
10-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Nadal 1/2> Federer > Djokovic > Murray.

People forget way too quickly just how incredible Federer was as an athlete (and he's still impressive anyway). The way he used his movement for offense and had the reflexes and explosion to hug the baseline even when stretched was really something extra special.

Will be interesting to see in 5 6 years time when people start forgetting about Nadal and Djokovic and automatically grade younger more current players ahead of them.

mark73
10-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd say

Nadal=Murray>=Djokovic=Federer.

Discuss.

You do realise that there are different types of athletes (e.g long distance runners, sprinters, weghtlifters etc. etc.).
So what type of athlete are you talking about?

mark73
10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I said athleticism.

He was never as fast as Nadal ieven in his prime.

Again there are different types of athleticism.
One of the problems of MTF is that people don't define their terms.

BodyServe
10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
For me it means basically who would win a decathlon between them (but i guess it's not that for most members here), hard to tell but certainly not Federer.

mark73
10-09-2011, 12:56 PM
The best "tennis athlete" is the best tennis player. So this discussion is kind of silly.
But I assume the OP means the quickest athlete on the tennis court. But their are many types of quickness on the tennis court. There are probably some balls that only novak could get to (perhaps those baseline gets requiring great reach) some only nadal could get to (perhaps nadal accelerating forward to a ball near the net) and some only fed could get to (balls at the net requiring great reach and reaction).

mark73
10-09-2011, 01:19 PM
For me it means basically who would win a decathlon between them (but i guess it's not that for most members here), hard to tell but certainly not Federer.

No idea who would win, but not a single event in the decathlon emphasizes agility or hand eye coordination or anaerobic endurance. I think tennis players would do very poorly at the decathlon compared to many other athletes.

I have a feeling Nadal or Murray would win. They seem more powerful. But the decathlon is just another sporting event. It's not the holy grail of sports (even if a lot of people think it is). One could come up with ten completely different events that would favour the tennis athlete.

Snowwy
10-09-2011, 01:38 PM
I have a feeling Nadal or Murray would win. They seem more powerful. But the decathlon is just another sporting event. It's not the holy grail of sports (even if a lot of people think it is). One could come up with ten completely different events that would favour the tennis athlete.

Athletes that enter the decathlon are just athletes that aren't good enough to enter one of the other more prestigious events, like, well any of the events in the decathlon. Would an athlete choose the decathlon over the 100m? Never.

oomph
10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Who has the best overall physical attributes, i.e. who would do best in a variety of sports.

cutesteve22
10-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Federer>Djokovic>Nadal>Murray

GSMnadal
10-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Nadal >> Djokovic > Murray >>> Federer

Or something like that

Johnny Groove
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Each of the top 4, at their peaks, bring a certain style of athleticism.

Djokovic is a very quick mover, explosive, but in a smaller frame, albeit taller. Not as strong and muscley as a Federer, Nadal, or Murray, but more elastic, more maneuverable, the most flexible of them all.

Nadal at his best was also very fast and explosive, an inch or so shorter than Djokovic, but a tank in terms of upper body strength. Not nearly as flexible as Djokovic, though.

Federer at his peak was incredible, probably had the best anticipation of them all. Perhaps not the same raw speed as Nadal or Djokovic, but incredible anticipation. Federer was also very flexible, more so than Nadal I'd say, and his body type was/is much more even distributed in terms of strength. Djokovic is more lower body strength, with a skinny upper body while Nadal is huge above the waist, but as we know, his lower body is not as strong, leading to leg/knee injuries over the years. Federer is the most even in terms of strength.

Murray is probably the best overall athlete of them all. Just as fast a mover as Djoko/Nadal I think, at worst maybe slightly not as good. Strength wise, Murray's got the 2nd best upper body behind Nadal, and perhaps the most powerful lower body. They don't call him Thick Legs for nothing.

mooncreek
10-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I think you have to define what you mean by athlete.

Federer in his prime is the guy you'd most want in a cross-country run or a marathon. Maybe even a competition like triathlon (though Djokovic this year would be quite close).

Nadal is the one who will fight to the very last punch or in a team competition situation. He prevails of the 4 when it comes to upper body strength.

Djokovic is gunning for what Federer was in his prime, which is the marathon model. However, he's also mixed in the Nadal model in the fight to the end which is why he's been so lethal. I'd say he's the best in a situation like a soccer match (note I'm not saying he's the best soccer player of the four - because skill-wise the other three do beat him there - just that type of endurance).

If we use the decathlon example, it's Murray. Not the best in any one aspect but combined in those kind of disciplines would give him the edge there.

I'd also like to throw in about how you hear some commentators say that Monfils is the best athlete on tour. This is probably based on upper-body strength as well as bouts of agility. He does seem to be one whose gifts translate to other sports - in short spurts.

chewy
10-09-2011, 04:12 PM

Djokovic is a very quick mover, explosive, but in a smaller frame, albeit taller. Not as strong and muscley as a Federer, Nadal, or Murray, but more elastic, more maneuverable, the most flexible of them all.

Nadal at his best was also very fast and explosive, an inch or so shorter than Djokovic, but a tank in terms of upper body strength. Not nearly as flexible as Djokovic, though.

Federer at his peak was incredible, probably had the best anticipation of them all. Perhaps not the same raw speed as Nadal or Djokovic, but incredible anticipation. Federer was also very flexible, more so than Nadal I'd say, and his body type was/is much more even distributed in terms of strength. Djokovic is more lower body strength, with a skinny upper body while Nadal is huge above the waist, but as we know, his lower body is not as strong, leading to leg/knee injuries over the years. Federer is the most even in terms of strength.

Murray is probably the best overall athlete of them all. Just as fast a mover as Djoko/Nadal I think, at worst maybe slightly not as good. Strength wise, Murray's got the 2nd best upper body behind Nadal, and perhaps the most powerful lower body. They don't call him Thick Legs for nothing.
This.

Atm, I'm free from favoritism for the current top four and this is how I perceive their peak athleticism.
(Judging from the overall balance of each athletic attribute I can think of)
Federer > Nadal/Djokovic/Murray(equal)

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, lets say they instead had to box, and that's how we could measure their athleticism apart from their tennis skill. Murray is just as fast, but taller and stronger with greater reach, and would destroy his opponents like a Celtic war god. :p

nobama
10-09-2011, 05:28 PM
there isn't a definitive answer to this question, just people's opinions and biases.

guga2120
10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
2008 Rafa, and its not that close.

Mechlan
10-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Nadal, easily.

MaxPower
10-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Always funny when people see some biceps and think that translates to best athlete. I mean if Nadal truly had the most upper body strength in his shoulder and arms wouldn't he serve hardest, hit hardest etc. Clearly he doesn't have the technique and explosive whip of peak Fed.

Some people go a lot on looks and that's why a player with very defined muscles would be stronger or faster but it has nothing to do with it. It's in the numbers: How long can you throw, how high can you jump, how fast can you run.
Not how good do you look flexing for the camera.

When it comes to explosive power and doing something like a decathlon I'm pretty sure peak Fed has the rest beat. Runner up: Murray

mark73
10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Who has the best overall physical attributes, i.e. who would do best in a variety of sports.

Who would do best in a variety of sports? That's a good question.

Peak fed would be best I think at any sport requiring great hand-eye coordination. He is the greatest shot maker mainly due to his superior hand-eye coordination. So I would bet on him in racquet sports, golf, baseball, cricket etc.

I'm not sure after this though so I can't give an overall answer.

Roddickominator
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Current Djokovic is a better athlete than any of those guys. He can run and continue to hit amazing shots all day long. Nadal a pretty close second. Federer and Murray were never in that league...perhaps they could have been had they doped.

yesh222
10-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Murray or Rafa would probably be the best soccer (football) player. Peak Fed beats the rest of them in tennis by a decent margin.

Mechlan
10-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Always funny when people see some biceps and think that translates to best athlete. I mean if Nadal truly had the most upper body strength in his shoulder and arms wouldn't he serve hardest, hit hardest etc. Clearly he doesn't have the technique and explosive whip of peak Fed.

Some people go a lot on looks and that's why a player with very defined muscles would be stronger or faster but it has nothing to do with it. It's in the numbers: How long can you throw, how high can you jump, how fast can you run.

When it comes to explosive power, you're right that the size of the muscles don't necessarily mean much. But muscle size does mean something in terms of how long someone could sustain a physical activity. As far as Nadal not having the most upper body strength, I think you're wrong. Without actually knowing which sport we're talking about I can't say for sure, but I'd generally put my money on him in any activity that requires upper body physical strength/endurance. One of the reasons I love tennis is that it's a combination of physicality and tennis skill. Federer is an absolute genius in terms of his technique. He can put the ball wherever he wants to. But while he's an underrated physical specimen, but I don't think he's in Nadal's league in that category.

Egreen
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Current Djokovic is a better athlete than any of those guys. He can run and continue to hit amazing shots all day long. Nadal a pretty close second. Federer and Murray were never in that league...perhaps they could have been had they doped.

:yeah:

Haelfix
10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Different types of strengths really.

Federer probably is the quickest of the bunch (first step), as well as balance. Stamina way up there. Overall speed/strength is probably lower than the other 3.

Rafa probably has the best stamina and physically the strongest. Tied with Djokovic as the fastest, and incredible agility (change of direction).

Djokovic is the fastest and most flexible. Poor stamina, but pretty strong.

Murray is physically strong (up there with Rafa), not quite Djoker/Nadal fast, but pretty fast, can change directions on a dime. Great stamina!

Overall

Nadal > Djokovic > Federer ~ Murray.

I'd probably say Federer most easily translates into other sports, simply b/c he has perfect balance and hand/eye coordination. He would be an incredible point guard in the NBA (he has serious hops).

Gabe32
10-10-2011, 12:52 AM
The question is so ambiguous it is almost useless, but I like it nonetheless.

My friends and I used to have huge debates all the time about the definition of "athlete/athleticism," as well as the definition of a sport.

This is obviously just my opinion, so I would like to preemptively try to ward of any attacks.

Anyway, I don't associate being in shape with athleticism. I have friends that are severely overweight who I would rather have on a basketball court or football field over some of my friends who look like traditional athletes but in actuality, are completely spastic. Athleticism to me, has a lot to do with hand-eye/muscle coordination, balance, movement and speed.

All four of these guys are absolute athletic freaks. They are more athletic than 99.999% of the population and can beat anyone I know at any sport. But from what I've seen, I think either Federer or Nadal have to be the best athletes (I am leaning towards Nadal first, and then Roger second), followed by Murray, and then I think Djokovic.

Topspindoctor
10-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Nadal. He was absolutely sick in 2008/2009.

emotion
10-10-2011, 03:24 AM
Nadal=Murray>Federer>Djokovic

But now is bizarrely Murray>Djokovic>Federer>Nadal

VolandriFan
10-10-2011, 03:34 AM
The ten components of fitness will help you get the bigger picture right.

Endurance:
Strength:
Flexibility:
Power:
Speed:
Coordination:
Agility:
Balance:
Body Composition:
Anaerobic Capacity:

MuzzahLovah
10-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Nadal=Murray>Federer>Djokovic

But now is bizarrely Murray>Djokovic>Federer>Nadal

Not so bizarrely- Murray may a huge commitment to fitness after losing so many early matches because of stamina- if you studied him shirtless as I have(at length) that should be obvious. Djokovic isn't as muscular, and his flexibility isn't new, but his refocusing with egg and the diet have greatly increased his staying power and therefore confidence.

Meanwhile Fed continues his long glory glide into retirement- he's simply an old man in tennis terms- losing a step or two is natural. Nadal is prematurely aging because having played so much at such a high level for so long. Not has he played more matches than his cohorts, he's played longer rallies because of his style, and generally more of these rallies because of his fight-for every point mentality. Unlike Federer, he never conserved energy for the final set by throwing away games. That key to Nadal's success is finally proving to be his downfall.

m9m9m9m9m9
10-10-2011, 07:19 AM

When it comes to explosive power and doing something like a decathlon I'm pretty sure peak Fed has the rest beat. Runner up: Murray

it's the leg muscle that generate most of the power from

Alex999
10-10-2011, 07:37 AM

True dat. Novak is crazy. I mean, I don't know how he manages to do it. He is a freak, lol. I just watched his SF match with Roger. Scary.

Forehander
10-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Federer's a more of a finess monster.

Forehander
10-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Yea he didn't dope. He just used a Magic Technological Pod that works twice as effective as doping that's all :lol:

Forehander
10-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Murray or Rafa would probably be the best soccer (football) player. Peak Fed beats the rest of them in tennis by a decent margin.

Pretty sure Federer will be a brilliant soccer player as well. He may not be the fastest but with his talent he will probably be like Zidane type technical player.

Logical
10-10-2011, 12:50 PM
Matador's athleticism was beastly in 2005-2008. Djokovic, Fedull and Mugray can't compare. Matador is the best athlete and still faster then everybody. He would of taken Djoker to school this year if he played his peak level.

oomph
10-10-2011, 05:40 PM

B-TZeGkEQWc

Yea he didn't dope. He just used a Magic Technological Pod that works twice as effective as doping that's all :lol:

He only used that egg a couple of times in 2010. :shrug:

MuzzahLovah
10-10-2011, 05:50 PM

Yep, oxygen, that banned substance.

oomph
10-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Yep, oxygen, that banned substance.

It is. :shrug:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
big difference between best athlete and best footwork

for example- monfils is a better athlete than any of the top 4

amongst the top four- the best athlete

Nadal>djokovic>federer>>>>>murray

best footowork

federer>>>>>nadal>djokovic>murray

Sapeod
10-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Nadal > Federer > Djokovic >>> Murray
Murray last? You're kidding, right? :spit:

Murray is just as athletic as Nadal, if not more so. Djokovic is quite bendy, so he's probably 1st in the category. Federer is last.

Sapeod
10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
big difference between best athlete and best footwork

for example- monfils is a better athlete than any of the top 4

amongst the top four- the best athlete

Nadal>djokovic>federer>>>>>murray

best footowork

federer>>>>>nadal>djokovic>murray
AHAHAHAHA, Murray last in both categories?? His footwork is one of his main attributes. Also, he's far more athletic than Federer and perhaps better than Nadal too.

Vida
10-10-2011, 07:51 PM
federer > djokovic >= nadal >>>>>>> murray

10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
AHAHAHAHA, Murray last in both categories?? His footwork is one of his main attributes. Also, he's far more athletic than Federer and perhaps better than Nadal too.

he is a brilliant tactiurn and an excellent shotmaker
and he's maybe the best tactically from the top 4

and saying he's 4th doesn't mean hes not athletic- its just my opinion that the others (during their peaks) are/were all better

murray (imo) also has the best team around him- he's always given excellent tactics- he just bottles it on the big occasion

he should have a wimby and at least 3 hardcourt slams already imo

murray is the only guy in the top 4 who doesn't have a bad matchup
he just fucks up himself

he should give nadal nightmares (like nole does) but he doesn't
he does annoy the hell out of federer with his defense
and he always has close fights with djoker

all mental with andy- pressure is a mother----er when a whole nation expects you to win

eduggs
10-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Federer. And it's not even close.

In terms of athletic movements - running, changing direction, jumping, throwing, catching... and athletic performance - quickness, coordination, power, precision, grace - I think Federer is clearly superior.

The other 3 are certainly fine athletes, but I view them primarily as exceptional tennis players. I think Federer could have excelled at several sports. In this regard I view him similarly to Pete Sampras, who was also a terrific all-around athlete. Nadal supporters - and occasionally Nadal himself - claim that he could have chosen to become a professional futbol player. I think this claim is buoyed by the exploits of his uncle. But who knows. This is all just speculation anyway.

shiaben
10-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Probably Nadal, he'd make a great fullback.

Orka_n
10-11-2011, 02:06 AM
It all depends on how you define athletic. Personally I'd say Nadal is probably the purest athlete of these guys although the other 3 aren't far behind.

Also, it's easy to underestimate Federer because he's never really had the look of an athlete. But in his prime he was insanely fit and every bit as explosive as the others. He may be a tiny bit behind when it comes to top speed but he had the best footwork and quickest small steps.

10-11-2011, 03:35 AM
to use a car analogy if i may

nadal is a classic american muscle car
and federer is a japanese sports car

nadal has the raw horse power and speed
federer has the movement

nole is a european exotic supercar (pagani zonda)
and murray is a austin martin DB9

nole is designed to move fast and efficent
murray is an overatted piece of shit

yes he Db9 is shit- looks nice- but shit

Mountaindewslave
10-11-2011, 06:09 AM
to use a car analogy if i may

nadal is a classic american muscle car
and federer is a japanese sports car

nadal has the raw horse power and speed
federer has the movement

nole is a european exotic supercar (pagani zonda)
and murray is a austin martin DB9

nole is designed to move fast and efficent
murray is an overatted piece of shit

yes he Db9 is shit- looks nice- but shit

hahahahahha this is one of the best posts I have ever seen and a fantastic analogy :) :worship: :worship: :worship:

Haelfix
10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
I like Federer and Novak a lot as tennis players, but they are not in the same class as peak Nadal in terms of raw athletic acumen. Federer might have had better balance and a quicker first step that led to the gliding movement, and Novak might be more flexible, but overall they're both slower than Rafa was, and there is no way they have that type of stamina or raw physical strength.

And yes, Rafa is more athletic than Monfils (if you remember their match a few years ago where Monfils gassed in the 3rd set).

Honestly, maybe only Borg is in the same class as Rafa in terms of overall physicality. The guy was just a freak.

tyruk14
10-11-2011, 09:03 AM
See the second, third and fourth sets of this year's US Open final, and therein lies your answer.

barahmasa
10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
there isn't a definitive answer to this question, just people's opinions and biases.

Why is this guy allowed to do political propaganda (cough..sig...cough username cough...) on this site!?

Mods do something! :eek:

Sapeod
10-11-2011, 03:56 PM
he is a brilliant tactiurn and an excellent shotmaker
and he's maybe the best tactically from the top 4

and saying he's 4th doesn't mean hes not athletic- its just my opinion that the others (during their peaks) are/were all better

murray (imo) also has the best team around him- he's always given excellent tactics- he just bottles it on the big occasion

he should have a wimby and at least 3 hardcourt slams already imo

murray is the only guy in the top 4 who doesn't have a bad matchup
he just fucks up himself

he should give nadal nightmares (like nole does) but he doesn't
he does annoy the hell out of federer with his defense
and he always has close fights with djoker

all mental with andy- pressure is a mother----er when a whole nation expects you to win
I guess you're right there. Except he's not less athletic than Nadal or Federer. He's the best tacitician and, as you said, doesn't have bad matchups.

Sapeod
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
federer > djokovic >= nadal >>>>>>> murray
You're having a laugh :haha:

Stronga23
10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Gael is by far the best athlete in tennis he could excel at any sport.

Everko
10-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Rafa is the best athlete in the ATP. More than Monfils also because he is more powerful than Monfils.

Sunset of Age
10-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Gael is by far the best athlete in tennis he could excel at any sport.

And when was he in the top 4? Did I miss something? ;)

Stronga23
10-11-2011, 07:28 PM
And when was he in the top 4? Did I miss something? ;)

Haha I wasnt going to mention him but people were talking about him so I thought i would give my input. He will be in the Top 4 someday I hope :sad:. Best of luck to Alex this week ;)

oomph
10-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Rafa is the best athlete in the ATP. More than Monfils also because he is more powerful than Monfils.

:spit: :spit:

Monfils absolutely kills him in that department.

Sunset of Age
10-12-2011, 02:35 AM
Haha I wasnt going to mention him but people were talking about him so I thought i would give my input. He will be in the Top 4 someday I hope :sad:. Best of luck to Alex this week ;)

:) - well if only Monfils would cut down on the clown diving stints on HC which makes him end up being injured 90% of the time, he may. ;)
And indeed, davai Alex. :D

eduggs
10-12-2011, 04:42 AM
I like Federer and Novak a lot as tennis players, but they are not in the same class as peak Nadal in terms of raw athletic acumen. Federer might have had better balance and a quicker first step that led to the gliding movement, and Novak might be more flexible, but overall they're both slower than Rafa was, and there is no way they have that type of stamina or raw physical strength.

And yes, Rafa is more athletic than Monfils (if you remember their match a few years ago where Monfils gassed in the 3rd set).

Honestly, maybe only Borg is in the same class as Rafa in terms of overall physicality. The guy was just a freak.

I don't consider musculature to be indicative of athletic prowess. I think you can be overweight and exceedingly athletic. Rather, the ability to control your body's movements with precision and grace as part of an athletic endeavor - especially in sport - is what defines athleticism. Muscle certainly enhances athleticism by increasing performance capacity, but I don't think it's indicative of athleticism. Anyone can build huge muscles with significant time spend in a gym. Speed is certainly a form of athletic ability, but it's a singular one. And without side by side comparisons, it's difficult to determine which of the top players is fastest or possesses the greatest stamina.

Haelfix
10-12-2011, 06:17 AM
I don't consider musculature to be indicative of athletic prowess. I think you can be overweight and exceedingly athletic. Rather, the ability to control your body's movements with precision and grace as part of an athletic endeavor - especially in sport - is what defines athleticism. Muscle certainly enhances athleticism by increasing performance capacity, but I don't think it's indicative of athleticism. Anyone can build huge muscles with significant time spend in a gym. Speed is certainly a form of athletic ability, but it's a singular one. And without side by side comparisons, it's difficult to determine which of the top players is fastest or possesses the greatest stamina.

Not really. The fastest sprint speed is clearly Monfils and James Blake (back in the day), at least in the last 10 years. But Rafa in 2006-2007 was up there. He definitely was faster than Federer ever was, as well as Murray. Novak this year is up there, but probably not quite the same speed.

And Federer always seems to have a lot of stamina, b/c he never exerts himself much in a match. I guarantee if he played 4 hour matches like Rafa does (flailing the arms in that topspin motion, playing 6 feet behind the baseline and running down everything) that he'd gas before Nadal.

As far as physical strength. Well Federer definitely has more racquet head speed than the other 4. He has more explosive power in his shots (fh, bh, serve etc). He would be the Walt Frazier of the sport. Meanwhile Nadal is more like Foreman. Less 1 shot knockout ability, but more just raw strength, capable of grinding you down and bullying you too death. Punching power is a good analogy really. You can be a generally weak individual, but have tremendous knockout force (typically in 1 but not both arms), and you can have very strong guys who couldn't knock anyone out.

The thing is, power doesn't really translate to other sports. You can be a brutal puncher, but have a slow fastball pitch (even though it seems like it should translate). However strength typically does translate.

oomph
10-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Not really. The fastest sprint speed is clearly Monfils and James Blake (back in the day), at least in the last 10 years. But Rafa in 2006-2007 was up there. He definitely was faster than Federer ever was, as well as Murray. Novak this year is up there, but probably not quite the same speed.

And Federer always seems to have a lot of stamina, b/c he never exerts himself much in a match. I guarantee if he played 4 hour matches like Rafa does (flailing the arms in that topspin motion, playing 6 feet behind the baseline and running down everything) that he'd gas before Nadal.

As far as physical strength. Well Federer definitely has more racquet head speed than the other 4. He has more explosive power in his shots (fh, bh, serve etc). He would be the Walt Frazier of the sport. Meanwhile Nadal is more like Foreman. Less 1 shot knockout ability, but more just raw strength, capable of grinding you down and bullying you too death. Punching power is a good analogy really. You can be a generally weak individual, but have tremendous knockout force (typically in 1 but not both arms), and you can have very strong guys who couldn't knock anyone out.

The thing is, power doesn't really translate to other sports. You can be a brutal puncher, but have a slow fastball pitch (even though it seems like it should translate). However strength typically does translate.

:lol: :spit:

Rodre Fegassi
10-12-2011, 08:45 AM
lol @ people saying Monfils is less athletic than Nadal.

'Athleticism' refers to highly explosive and/or maximal strength movements. Sprinting, not marathon running. Being able to sprint 100m in 9.5 seconds, bench press 500kg and hit a forehand at 200mph demonstrates supreme athleticism, NOT being able to play tennis for 7 hours over 5 sets.

It is well known that black athletes have a much MUCH higher percentage of type II fast twitch muscle fibres than white athletes. Type II fibres enable you to do hugely explosive movements, but make you more vulnerable to fatigue.

Nadal cannot touch the athleticism of Monfils.

oomph
10-12-2011, 08:57 AM
lol @ people saying Monfils is less athletic than Nadal.

'Athleticism' refers to highly explosive and/or maximal strength movements. Sprinting, not marathon running. Being able to sprint 100m in 9.5 seconds, bench press 500kg and hit a forehand at 200mph demonstrates supreme athleticism, NOT being able to play tennis for 7 hours over 5 sets.

It is well known that black athletes have a much MUCH higher percentage of type II fast twitch muscle fibres than white athletes. Type II fibres enable you to do hugely explosive movements, but make you more vulnerable to fatigue.
Nadal cannot touch the athleticism of Monfils.

:lol: Pseudoscientific racist drivel. :lol:

Go back watching your interracial cuckold porn you obnoxious little c*nt. :kiss:

Stamina is a part of athleticism and Monfils can't fuck with nadal in that department. Deal with it.