Tokyo Final : Murray def. Nadal 3-6 6-2 6-0 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tokyo Final : Murray def. Nadal 3-6 6-2 6-0

Pages : [1] 2

Action Jackson
10-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Excellent last 2 sets from Thick Legs too bad he can't do this at the Slams often enough when he plays Nadal.

MIMIC
10-09-2011, 07:35 AM
:eek:

habibko
reminded me a lot of Federer's 2007 Hamburg beatdown, well done Murray :worship:

Pirata.
:eek:

alter ego
Insane level of play for Murray. Nadull won just 4 points in the last set.

Tom Paulman
10-09-2011, 07:36 AM
I hope Nadull enjoyed the 5 points he managed to win in the final set.

EDIT: 4 :lol:

GSMnadal
Now that was a performance by Andy... that backhand! That forehand?!!!

Nothing anyone could do

iramlatif
just simply awesome from Andy. He played beautifully. Wow

henke007
Double bagel!!

Pirata.
10-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Well, now I actually feel a lot better about David losing to Andy. Don't think he would've won anyway, but at least Murray carried that form on to win the final. Gotta give the man his props (now if he could only do this at slams :o)

Starting to think Rafa will never defend a hard court title in his entire career.

Kat_YYZ
what a dismantling in the end :hatoff:
Murray was copying Djokovic. He hit harder than he usually does and went for the corners and moved Nadal around in the same way. He was even making the same "Uh-haaah" grunt! :p

hyperren
If only Murray could be this mentally strong at Slams.

So... any bets on how long it takes before the board goes down? Also, what excuse are we gonna use from the Nadal Loss Excuse Roulette?

doomsday
10-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Now you just have to do that in majors, you idiot.

Filo V.
I expected Murray to win, but wow, he really just took over from the middle of the second set onwards, and Rafa really faltered badly. Andy put forth the man's performance today and Nadal fell away embarrassingly. A great win for Andy, should be extremely confidence boosting for him going forward. Maybe now this is the time he's finally really arrived, and will become a full-fledged member of the big 4.

Lopez
Started watching at the start of the second.

Total domination from Murray from that point on.

Nice :yeah:.

Nadal was hitting well in the first few games of the second and the guys had a lot of close games. Surprisingly, it was Murray, not Nadal who took the close games.

scoobs
Boom.

Thick legs brings the haggis heat.

ballbasher101
What we are looking at here is a new version of Muzza. Murray unplugged is here.

The Magician
Just shows that when anyone is playing well Nadull is helpless. If Federer wasn't such a choker, Murray could bring it at the slams, and Fakervic didn't go off the boil for 3 years Nadull would have 0 slams. Great performance from Murray, ate the moonballing clown alive :yeah:

shiaben
10-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Great job Andy. First time I've been impressed with you.I hope that 6-0.....can give you confidence going into 2012. You'll need to hit ALL YOUR FOREHANDS like that. Don't be a wimp, hit through those shots with authority. Otherwise, you're going to get hammered again by the top 3. Also still need to work on serve consistency. Show up or ship out!

Nekromanta
n1 Murray... Rafa:lol:

MariaV
Well, now I actually feel a lot better about David losing to Andy. Don't think he would've won anyway, but at least Murray carried that form on to win the final. Gotta give the man his props (now if he could only do this at slams :o)

Starting to think Rafa will never defend a hard court title in his entire career.

You jinxed him. :( :mad: ;) :p
It's going to be all about Nole and Muzza next year. :D

romismak
Fu..ing impressive this Scot today. Can´t believe what happened- for all haters - healthy Rafa got bageled by Andy. Actually with this kind of game he is for sure biggest fav to win Shanghai - just would be great for him Bangkok-Tokyo-Shanghai in row and also including SF at USO and Cinci he has great run on HC by himself. Actually this kind of game is on Nole level - want to see them to play F at WTF.

coasterman9
10-09-2011, 07:40 AM
He will get to number 3 by years end if he continues this form.

n8
Nadal played a really good first set but Murray thereafter was amazing!

madmax
NID
Nadull can only hope and pray that Murray self-destructs and gifts him matches on hardcourts...the moment scott hits any kind of form he is done:cheer:

philosophicalarf

All about circumstance. Murray was playing this well most of the last two weeks, especially yesterday.

When he played Nadal at the US Open, he had 3.5 hours in the sun the day before. Simply mission impossible after that.

At Wimbledon? Nadal is simply a better grass court player. Obviously even more so at Roland Garros, and Murray was playing with a torn ankle ligament.

The last time Murray came into a match with Nadal carrying this sort of form was Toronto last year - straight sets was the result, then did the same to Federer in the final.

Winning when you're playing this well is a piece of piss. Murray is a great player, when he's feeling it like this the opponent is in a lot of trouble, regardless of who they are. Raising your form by sheer willpower is what he still has no idea how to do, and slam experience suggests he can't carry good form for 2 weeks either.

MaxPower
Sorry for doubting you Andrew. The tennis he played in the 2nd set and forward was on a very high level. He even sent a few bullets DTL in that final set for good measure.

The piggy is roasted. Roasted to perfection

Filo V.
10-09-2011, 07:41 AM
The match really ended at *3-1 for Murray in the second set, where Rafa had 40-0 on return and Murray stepped it up in that game with aces and aggressive play. Both of their demeanors changed that game. Rafa fell off and Murray gained more and more confidence and took over the match. Definitely very impressive, this is the Murray I think we all enjoy and hope to continue seeing.

Pfloyd
Insane level of tennis from Murray in the last 2 sets.

Deserved victory, and I hope Andy can maintain this level.

I don't even know what to suggest for Nadal to improve on this one. :shrug:

I hope he finds his confidence back after losing 7 finals. :eek:

coonster14
Wow, insane stuff from Muzza, I hope he can bring this kind of level more consistently against the Top 3.

Bad luck Rafa - just got outplayed by a better player.

Roadmap
Nadull was not injured. The reason he was moving like shit near the end of the third set is because of the depression of knowing your opponent is superior in all departments.

martinatreue
10-09-2011, 07:42 AM

What a complimentary post of you to call someone an idiot after playing at an unassailable level. :rolleyes:

Deivid23
Took him to school really, well played Andrew.

bad gambler
Why can't Murray play like that in slams.

DrJules
Murray is the 2nd best hard court player this year and after losing his first service game showed it.

Nadal now 12 months without a tilte not on clay.

Swim4life227
10-09-2011, 07:43 AM
That was probably the best I've seen Andy play...ever. There could be a 20 minute highlight reel of some of the points he played, easily. He does so well against top players at tour events. I just feel at slams he views everything as climbing Mount Everest when facing a top player.

Crazy how Nadal is 3-7 in finals this year and has yet to win a HC event in over a year.

EddieNero
"Nadal is just fine."

Roadmap
Murray looked a different class of player out there.

Ben.
10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
As good as Andy has played. There were signs of it in the first set but he was still throwing in errors here and there. He cut those out and after those two long games, saving four or five BPs, it was a steamroll.

Rafa though, I was struggling to think what he did well today, I was thinking overheads :lol: then he netted that one in the third. It is going to be an important offseason for him because his game is in no man's land. Murray was picking him off with the BH, yet Rafa doesn't try to take his FH down the line or put more width on it. I'm sure we will continue to hear him saying he has to be more aggressive and then failing to do anything about it on court. He is in decline but he can slow it down some.

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Nadull is brilliant at losing finals.

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 07:45 AM
:cheerleader: :hearts: :worship: Murray has become Deathray. :worship: :hearts: :cheerleader:

Can we turn this into a Murray appreciation thread? I'm so proud of him. Wonderful! Now win in doubles!

guga2120
10-09-2011, 07:45 AM
When he is fit physically and mentally he is the best fast hardcourt player in the world. Hopefully he saves something for Novak in Paris and WTF. He should get him atleast once in those tournaments.

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 07:46 AM
I wonder how many more finals Nadull could lose this year.

The Magician
Everyone was talking about the separation from the top 4 to the rest of the field, but Murray showed in terms of talent he is far above Nadull. For Murray, Federer, and arguably Fakervic, they are genuinely better players than everyone else and can only compete with each other. Nadull however can't reach the high level they can and will get bageled by any of them in top form. Nadull really only wins because of his opponents weak mentality (like Murray at slams :o), in terms of talent and potential he's probably below Ferrer and Berdych.

MalwareDie
Good going from Murray. If he lost this one on such a surface, I would have had serious doubts that he would have posed much of a threat to Nadal ever again. If Murray continues to play with this sort of mindset, a Grand Slam title will not be out of his reach.

BroTree123
Retirement is looming his mind perhaps? :o

MsTree
10-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Nice way to start a Sunday :D

Say Hey Kid
Amazing stuff from Murray. The way he played the final sets was simply outstanding.

Roadmap
Nadull will go out of his way to avoid Murray in Shanghai.

Imperfect Angel
Not a mug Murray.:eek: Nadal :spit: Enjoy the bagel.:p

philosophicalarf
10-09-2011, 07:48 AM

I've been watching Murray regularly since he was 17/18 - his form comes and goes at random. You generally only get one match like this a year, and they're all over the place. The only real exception is last year's Toronto, where he carried the form all week, possibly the best tournament of his career imo (and even then he bizarrely got bagelled 2nd set by Monfils).

Possibly his best ever match imo was at a slam, against Melzer at the Aus this year (Melzer later said it's the best performance he'd ever faced in his career). But he blew all his form too early in doing so, was meh next against Dolgo, then weak against Ferrer, and ditto against Djoko.

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 07:49 AM
That was a beatdown.

MuzzahLovah
Nadull will go out of his way to avoid Murray in Shanghai.

He just has to lose before the final.
Deathray will be waiting for him.

hilluis
Murray needs to manage 5 set matches better. Keep his concentration up, not get down on himself if he doesnt win every point. He is certainly a far superior player in a best of 3 set scenario.

iriraz
When Murray plays Nadal he always has the right idea how to approach the match but it all comes down to the execution.In this case in the last set pretty much everything went in while at Wimbledon for instance errors were coming of his racket point after point.
He needs to be consistent and don`t go into passive mode when it comes to a semi of a slam for instance.Obviously in a 2 week tourney fatigue will be a big factor and he needs to do all the right things to avoid beeing beaten up before he would play someone like Nadal in the semis

Aenea
Congrats, Andy :hatoff: 2nd title in a row. Well done!

Rafa,:o go home and spend your time on playing golf, it will be better for you. If one day you feel passion for playing tennis and winning titles again, come back but not before that.

GL to both players in Shanghai.

Asadinator
10-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Murray was nothing special. Served great and made minimal unforced errors in the 3rd. Nadal played crap. Boring match.

Roadmap
A fantastic display of all court tennis from Murray. So many strings to his bow.

Hola Mr. SK
Rafa :hug:

Pirata.
So... any bets on how long it takes before the board goes down? Also, what excuse are we gonna use from the Nadal Loss Excuse Roulette?

Ate a bad roll of sushi.

scoobs
Murray the only guy to beat both Nadal and Djokovic this year.

Murray has as many titles this year as Nadal and Federer combined.

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Murray was nothing special. Served great and made minimal unforced errors in the 3rd. Nadal played crap. Boring match.

Or, a deathray found him and he fried.

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 07:52 AM
It would be a shock never mind a surprise if Murray does not win Shanghai. Certainly he is the overwhelming favourite.

Certinfy
10-09-2011, 07:53 AM
:worship: :woohoo: :bounce:

philosophicalarf
When Murray plays Nadal he always has the right idea how to approach the match but it all comes down to the execution.In this case in the last set pretty much everything went in while at Wimbledon for instance errors were coming of his racket point after point

Too aggressive at Wimbledon imo - he said as much, and I totally agree. Hailmary blasting isn't going to get through Nadal, unless you're Del Potro on very top form, cos the errors will kill you. Has to be much more controlled.

He actually started that way today, but got the balance right midway through the opening set.

Minotaur
Well, i don't think that lose in the final was too much significant to Rafa. It seems that he is not in a top form, since he played the first tournament since US Open.

His main target is a final grand slam in the end of this year.

Let's see how he improves. He gave Murray too much short balls, it looked like Montanes is performing today, not Rafa.

However, it's interesting how Nadal is mentally strong after this bagel.

Murray on the other hand was slowly getting into form. He wasn't that impressive in the first matches in Bangkok, now it was a different level.

I hope he's not very tired after 2 weeks of playing because Shanghai is a better tournament

STUHL
What a Destruction!

scoobs
I wouldn't get carried away about Shanghai - Murray going for a third title in 3 weeks is a very tough thing to achieve and he must be starting to feel a bit tired.

guga2120
10-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Nole is going to take another beating to Andy this year, either Paris or WTF.

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Nadull's finger is still burnt. Do people not realise how long those injuries take to heal.

Horatio Caine
10-09-2011, 07:57 AM
That 5th game in the second set seemed to decide the match. Murray had just broken Nadal for the first time to lead *3-1 and then proceeded to go down 00/40 on his serve...fought back well with a couple of aces and saved further break point(s) at 40/AD. Once he got over that hump, he never looked back. Final set was a total demolition job...took the initiative time and time again, and put his man away. Awesome!

It really is time to do this in the Slams now. He has to believe that this is the approach he must adopt if he is to win, even if he isn't having the best day at the office.

Great job!

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Murray's backhand is the most well timed shot in tennis along with Federer's forehand. As smooth as silk.

MuzzahLovah
Too aggressive at Wimbledon imo - he said as much, and I totally agree. Hailmary blasting isn't going to get through Nadal, unless you're Del Potro on very top form, cos the errors will kill you. Has to be much more controlled.

He actually started that way today, but got the balance right midway through the opening set.

Murray needs to play conservatively at fistto find his range- when he goes aggressive too early he sprays, and gets broken like he did in the second game. Both in the Ferrer and this match he found his range hit winner after winner towards the end.

Filo V.
Rafa really needs to take a look in the mirror, because things are really starting to get away from him. Which was obvious when he was struggling to beat Fed and Murray on clay. The sense of invincibility that surrounded him that made him so special is rapidly going away, and guys aren't scared of him anymore.

habibko
10-09-2011, 07:59 AM
lol Nadal's box left the court before he could say thanks to them, awkward much?

he isn't getting much love these days..

LinkMage
10-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Nadull collecting runner up plates left and right. :D

Xristos
10-09-2011, 08:01 AM
What just happened.

tnosugar
way to go murray. now keep it up! Take shanghai, so we can have the real noumber one and two in place :)

Roadmap
Murray made Nadull give up and lose hope.

tektonac
10-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Murray's backhand is the most well timed shot in tennis along with Federer's forehand. As smooth as silk.

evil called british propaganda.

scoobs
10-09-2011, 08:02 AM
That 5th game in the second set seemed to decide the match. Murray had just broken Nadal for the first time to lead *3-1 and then proceeded to go down 00/40 on his serve...fought back well with a couple of aces and saved further break point(s) at 40/AD. Once he got over that hump, he never looked back. Final set was a total demolition job...took the initiative time and time again, and put his man away. Awesome!

It really is time to do this in the Slams now. He has to believe that this is the approach he must adopt if he is to win, even if he isn't having the best day at the office.

Great job!

Yes that game he saved 0-40 was a game-changer in the context of this match, it's not hard to imagine him losing the initiative and the match in a flood of frustration had he not held there. After that Rafa won one more game

soraya
10-09-2011, 08:04 AM
lol Nadal's box left the court before he could say thanks to them, awkward much?

he isn't getting much love these days..

He justified them by saying that they were in the locker room (I guess, getting ready to leave for the airport) because "we losing the plane" or something to that effect.

Shinoj
10-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Man 2011 has been such a great year for tennis.

First Djokovic had single handedly saved it from the Naduller and now Murray is continuing the act.

May the God of tennis who resides in fuckin Pluto give them the ultimate power.

GSMnadal
10-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Call me bonkers but I don't think Nadull will win another game in this match.

Just thought I'd bring this one up, pretty good call... it was at 3-6 3-1 I believe

Really, what is it with Rafa and close games this year. He has lost every single one against Djokovic, here he lost the only two close ones back to back, very worrying to say the least

Certinfy
10-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Take away the first set and Nadal is just another Young :lol:

Nole Rules
In the 2nd & 3rd set, that was the best Murray i've ever seen. Unreal tennis. Rafa can't do anything when this Murray shows up. :hearts:

One of the BEST tennis performaces i've ever seen. Well done, Andy. Thanks for the beautiful & amazing tennis you showed today. In terms of natural talent, Murray is better than Nadal.

Asadinator
Murray's forehand also looked superb today.

No it didn't. Only hit like a few good shots of it. The rest were slow and short.

alter ego
10-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Just thought I'd bring this one up, pretty good call... it was at 3-6 3-1 I believe

Really, what is it with Rafa and close games this year. He has lost every single one against Djokovic, here he lost the only two close ones back to back, very worrying to say the least

Simple transition. You lose to a better player all year (e.g. Djokovic) ergo you lose your confidence ergo you become a mental midget.

ZaZoo)
10-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Tasty bagel. :drool:

Hopefully Murray continues to play well and wins some bigger tournaments.

Swiss_Bagels17
10-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Love the way Andy said I need to prepare for my doubles match now can I leave the court and thank the sponsors later :)

habibko
10-09-2011, 08:15 AM
In terms of natural talent, Murray is better than Nadal.

I'd argue he's better than Djokovic as well, his movement is on a slightly lower level right now, but with the right mindset and purely tennis striking wise, he could do so much more with the ball, of course he is so much inferior mentally wise, and that makes a big difference

I've said it once before, Murray hasn't realized his true potential yet, if he fixed his mental game and became more consistent he can be a kind of beast that has never been seen yet, that elusive first GS title would very likely unleash him

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd argue he's better than Djokovic as well, his movement is slightly on a lower level right now, but with the right mindset and purely tennis striking wise, he could do so much more with the ball, of course he is so much inferior mentally wise, and that makes a big difference

I've said it once before, Murray hasn't realized his true potential yet, if he fixed his mental game and became more consistent he can be a kind of beast that has never been seen yet, that elusive first GS title would very likely unleash him

Yes, true, and also people forget Murray is six foot three and all muscle- when his game is clicking and he's confident he can hit as big as Safin, and has amazing volleys helped by that reach.

Roadmap
Nadull and Faker are both quick but don't understand angles like Murray. Federer has a superb understanding of angles but does not have Murray's footspeed.

your_valentine
Nadull :spit: Always a bridesmaid this season :lol: Murray love you, do some more damage next tournaments :kiss:

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 08:20 AM
It is true MuzzahLovah. Murray has great hands at the net.

Shinoj
10-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Djokovic is a brilliant shotmaker on both forehand and backhand, Murray has a better tactical sense and a touch of grace about his game. Both talent wise are million miles ahead of the Gym Boy Rafael Nadal.

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Murray looks fresh as a daisy. I suspect he will not be tired in shanghai.

scoobs
10-09-2011, 08:23 AM
We don't need one post per thought. Let's try combining them shall we?

paseo
I was getting ready to bash him in the result thread after he lost the 1st set, cause I thought he was gonna lose in straights but, Whaddya Know?

Legendary, this Murray.

Raq-Attack
I guess that's another worthless trophy in Andy's collection, his mother must be popping bottles tonight, as for Nadal...i'm sure he's devastated he couldn't put the Tokyo cup next to all those slams on his menatalpiece!! :devil: .

nole_no1
10-09-2011, 08:26 AM
:spit: The fuck?

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 08:28 AM
I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war- can't we just celebrate a good player finally playing up to his potential?

cutesteve22
10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Nadull is so pathetic

Allez
10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm so happy right now :yippee: Superb tennis from Murray. It's happening people. Keep the faith. January is just around the corner. ;)

cocrcici
10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
:woohoo:

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
I will be accused of trolling but Nadull will not win another title until at least Monte Carlo.

scoobs
10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Does this loss take away Nadal's mathematical chance of getting back to #1 hence making certain Djokovic will end the season as world #1?

Filo V.
10-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war- can't we just celebrate a good player finally playing up to his potential?

Too much to ask for on a forum like this. Given most who post in GM are trolls.

Vorst Myschkin
10-09-2011, 08:35 AM
A real fighter, this Nadal.

Asadinator
10-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Nadal has more talent than Murray imo. Those moonballs and bananashots are not easy, and he has such great feel of the ball even when he's scrambling. Djokovic is the one with the least talent from the top 4, a true workhorse.

Nole Rules
10-09-2011, 08:39 AM
I'd argue he's better than Djokovic as well, his movement is on a slightly lower level right now, but with the right mindset and purely tennis striking wise, he could do so much more with the ball, of course he is so much inferior mentally wise, and that makes a big difference

Both are equally talented in my book.:yeah:
I fully agree with you.

Djokovic is a brilliant shotmaker on both forehand and backhand, Murray has a better tactical sense and a touch of grace about his game. Both talent wise are million miles ahead of the Gym Boy Rafael Nadal.

:lol: :worship:

!VamosRafa!
10-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Rafa, you fucking idiot when will you stop breaking my heart :hysteric:
Just retire :sobbing:

Roadmap
People who think Murray is going to be tired in Shanghai are deluded.

MuzzahLovah
I'm so happy I don't even care about putting Nadal down. I just hope Murray never listens to me and plays doubles as much as he wants, as long as he plays like this.

Mechlan
10-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Great to see Murray put together back to back good weeks. It's like philosophicalarf said though, the talent and ability have never been in question. While it's great to see him beat Nadal (especially since he suffered a number of tough losses to him this year), the real question is how he plays when he's not feeling quite his best. To be able to manage the ebbs and flows in a match against one of the big 3 and not let the inevitable letdowns that happen in a best of 5 match affect him too much. It's the next big challenge and I hope he's up to the task.

Confidence is a wondrous thing though and it's why I hoped he would play (and win) a lot this fall. Started out well, hope he continues playing like this.

On another note, it's funny to see how reaction changes so dramatically after one result. Just a couple of days ago it was "Murray will likely never win a slam", now all of a sudden it's "it's a matter of when not if." :lol:

Allez
10-09-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm so happy I don't even care about putting Nadal down. I just hope Murray never listens to me and plays doubles as much as he wants, as long as he plays like this.

If it weren't for his brother I do not believe he'd be playing doubles. Too much tennis week in week out :eek:

Roadmap
10-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Murray should not relinquish his winning run lightly. He is so confident right now.

Allez
10-09-2011, 08:47 AM
All about circumstance. Murray was playing this well most of the last two weeks, especially yesterday.

When he played Nadal at the US Open, he had 3.5 hours in the sun the day before. Simply mission impossible after that.

At Wimbledon? Nadal is simply a better grass court player. Obviously even more so at Roland Garros, and Murray was playing with a torn ankle ligament.

The last time Murray came into a match with Nadal carrying this sort of form was Toronto last year - straight sets was the result, then did the same to Federer in the final.

Winning when you're playing this well is a piece of piss. Murray is a great player, when he's feeling it like this the opponent is in a lot of trouble, regardless of who they are. Raising your form by sheer willpower is what he still has no idea how to do, and slam experience suggests he can't carry good form for 2 weeks either.

Unfortunately you're right on the money here :(

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 08:48 AM
If it weren't for his brother I do not believe he'd be playing doubles. Too much tennis week in week out :eek:

That's what I thought, but it seems to be helping his rhythm and helping him feel the ball better. Other than the jittery start in the first 3 games of this match, Murray has been pretty solid on serve right from the beginning in these last week/

BroTree123
10-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Let's not overhype this kid until he actually wins a Slam.

scoobs
10-09-2011, 08:56 AM
This is a nice win but if he loses early or flames out to Nadal in Shanghai, what does it amount to? Not very much. It's a small ATP tournament, at the end of the day - it only becomes significant if he takes it and builds on it.

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 08:58 AM
This is a nice win but if he loses early or flames out to Nadal in Shanghai, what does it amount to? Not very much. It's a small ATP tournament, at the end of the day - it only becomes significant if he takes it and builds on it.

That's what everyone said about him routining Young in Bangkok- and even smaller tournament. A little confidence goes a long long way.

BroTree123
10-09-2011, 09:01 AM
The new "6-2, 6-0" King :o

alter ego
10-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Allowing prime Naddal just 4 points wihtin a set will be part of his legacy when he retires. So it's not a small thing.

Tennis-Life
10-09-2011, 09:07 AM
I am feeling that Nadal is losing his hunting instincts day by day. Sad to watch.

I wont be surprised if he retires at the end of next year. :confused:

Well done Murray!

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I am feeling that Nadal is losing his hunting instincts day by day. Sad to watch.

I wont be surprised if he retires at the end of next year. :confused:

Well done Murray!

You will remember I started a thread on Nadal's retirement in 2012. It's looking more and more likely with each crushing final loss.

Clydey
10-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Great performance, but this is just another example of how shortsighted MTF members are. The next time Murray puts in a poor performance, he'll once again be a mug who will never win a slam. Wait and see.

Cat9
10-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Watching Andy beat Ferrer yesterday, I had to wonder if his sub par performances in big finals is on purpose. His level was just insane. And, incredibly, he did it again today. Now, just fucking do it at a slam. Well done!

NJ88
10-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Well done Andy!

Fantastic match from him. I think he was going to be going down when he lost the first set but he fired back and the last two sets were some of the best tennis I've ever seen from him. I really do think this could be important. These two weeks could be crucial for Murray (even if they are lesser tournaments), he's gone two weeks without losing and beating Nadal in the second final will have shown him how he has to play to win these matches. Keep in mind he would have been more tired than Nadal after a week of extra play and tougher opponents this week.

Nadal wasn't bad, or wasn't playing a terrible match, there was nothing wrong with him physically either. He just got beat by a better player, just like he's been getting beaten by a better player for most of this year. But for Murray this could be a turning point, he's been playing differently the past couple of weeks and he now must realise this is how he needs to play to win against the to pplayers. He'll be number three by the end of the year and I hope he can play like this in slams.

s.m.
10-09-2011, 09:39 AM
lucky win

Sonja1989
10-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Shit, what was this last two set? :bigcry:

Congrats to Murray though. :hug:

nole_no1
10-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Be serious Nadal isn't retiring in 2012 :lol:

MariaV
10-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Well it's a 500 tournament Scoobsie, not that small. ;) :shrug: :p
Anyway congrats on Murray's great performance! :hatoff: :yeah:

nobama
10-09-2011, 09:53 AM
:haha:

Just like heaven
10-09-2011, 09:54 AM
:hug:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3775/43989029.jpg

Looner
10-09-2011, 10:00 AM
No clay, no dough for Nadal. Still to defend a non-claycourt title. It's looking less and less likely nowadays. Good win for Murray but he needs to do this in 3/5 otherwise it just reinforces his stature of the strongest mental midget.

peribsen
10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Good for Andy, too bad I couldn't watch the match (just who do these Asians think they are, playing at 6AM on a Sunday?).

I said yesterday that the result of this match wouldn't be too relevant, whichever way it fell. Seeing the scoreline, I'm no longer sure about that. Failing to close a match that starts well is disheartening, far more than, say, losing in two sets in a match that isn't all that important.

Congrats, Andy.

nobama
10-09-2011, 10:03 AM

I loved seeing the beatdown but I'm sure #2 won't lose any sleep over it. 10 > 0.

I have to say though why the fuck couldn't he do this at the US Open. :rolleyes:

nobama
10-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Great performance, but this is just another example of how shortsighted MTF members are. The next time Murray puts in a poor performance, he'll once again be a mug who will never win a slam. Wait and see.

Exactly. NID.

bokehlicious
10-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Always nice to see Nadal bite the dust :drool:. Well done on yet another MM win Andy :yeah: of course as always you'll bend over next time you'll face Nadal or Djoker when it really matters but kudos nevertheless.

Time Violation
10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the vcash Andy :cool: I was expecting a win, but a bagel, wow :eek: Never mind this was a 500, hopefully it helps Andy realize he can do way better than he has previously :)

Btw, from the tennis dot com:

One point of concern for Nadal fans will be the extent to which he appeared to retreat into his shell in the third set and his failure to stop hitting the ball to Murray’s backhand, apparently under the impression that it would break down.

Excellent tactic, too bad it wasn't Fed on the other side :lol:

nobama
10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
#2 has been bageled in finals on every surface. Any other top player have that distinction?

Hard: Tokyo 2011 (Murray), Chennai 2008 (Youzhny)
Indoor Hard: Paris 2007 (Nalbandian), Rotterdam 2009 (Murray)
Grass: Wimbledon 2006 (Federer)
Clay: Hamburg 2007 (Federer)

#2 has won only 3 of the last 11 finals he's been in. :eek:

HKz
10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Who cares, this is the same story every year with Murray. He is so "mentally strong" at the wrong tournaments. Bring on the slams and he shakes in fear to Nadal, or anyone good for that matter. Sad but it is the truth. Who cares about these small tournaments and even Master Series, Djokovic already has 4 slams and he can't even pick up one.

nobama
10-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Always nice to see Nadal bite the dust :drool:. Well done on yet another MM win Andy :yeah: of course as always you'll bend over next time you'll face Nadal or Djoker when it really matters but kudos nevertheless.

CF should be pleased. :D

Sham Kay
10-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Hmm. That.. was interesting.

Well, good fortunes to both in Shanghai. I see a rematch looming.

Gagsquet
10-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Not a surprise imo.
Nadal is almost done and Andy is rising.

Saberq
10-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Murray never beat Djokovic give me a break only Fed did this year

what is it 4 LOL

Nadull and Faker are both quick but don't understand angles like Murray. Federer has a superb understanding of angles but does not have Murray's footspeed.

Federer doesnt have Murray's footspeed?Maybe not today but in his prime please .....

Let's not overhype this kid until he actually wins a Slam.

he wont win one he always plays great on these MM tournaments

he is still a mug that cant win a slam ....this performance is irrelevant at all nice for him but he will still crumble under pressure

Not a surprise imo.
Nadal is almost done and Andy is rising.

Rising?rising where in MM tournaments LOL???........Nadal is not done you idiot he might win WTF who knows he has more chance than Murray....I mean Novak will probably win it like everything else.....Anyway congrats Andy you earned it like a man shame you will bend over for Nadal in every Slam........

MatchFederer
10-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Shame my body-clock didn't really allow me to watch this pasting...

Super Djoker
10-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Well i don,t like Murray, and that is my Preference, I don,t have to like him just beacause he is a brit. but big credit to him for finally beating Rafa again. Strong end to the Year. He will be world number 3 at the end of the year, that,s what i think!

careergrandslam
10-09-2011, 11:20 AM
NADAL = Pathetic Loser!

Nekromanta
10-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Nadal is not done you idiot

:lol:

Tutu
10-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Because he is a mental midget and 3 sets =/= 5 sets both mentally and physically.

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Look at all these incredulous rafatards and murrayhaters. Apparently today was not tennis, it was golf. Apparently Rafa gets bageled all the time, so no biggie. Apparently winning 3 titles in 2 weeks is something to be embarrassed about. Apparently players should only ever play slams.

Why don't you miserable ****s jerk each other off quietly in corner, and try to muffle your tears a bit.

nalbyfan
10-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I LOVE this 3rd set....6/0 from Muzza to
Armanishakirafatbutt...really delightful, congrats Muzza

MatchFederer
10-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Nadal has a habit of sometimes getting smacked around by players for 6-0 more regularly than is probably normal for a top player.

Matt01
10-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Congrats, Andy :clap2:

MsTree
10-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Look at all these incredulous rafatards and murrayhaters. Apparently today was not tennis, it was golf. Apparently Rafa gets bageled all the time, so no biggie. Apparently winning 3 titles in 2 weeks is something to be embarrassed about. Apparently players should only ever play slams.

Why don't you miserable ****s jerk each other off quietly in corner, and try to muffle your tears a bit.

Well said! But I'm taking great enjoyment from the haters and the pish they come out with (takes great mental fortitiude to hide behind a keyboard and call someone a mental midget when he's achieved 1000% more than they ever will in ther miserable pathetic lives) so whine away haters! :devil:

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Fucking beatdown and a half :yeah: Nice one Muzz.

leng jai
10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Wake me up when Murray plays half as well as this in a set of a GS final.

Rodre Fegassi
10-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Great to see Murray put together back to back good weeks. It's like philosophicalarf said though, the talent and ability have never been in question. While it's great to see him beat Nadal (especially since he suffered a number of tough losses to him this year), the real question is how he plays when he's not feeling quite his best. To be able to manage the ebbs and flows in a match against one of the big 3 and not let the inevitable letdowns that happen in a best of 5 match affect him too much. It's the next big challenge and I hope he's up to the task.

Confidence is a wondrous thing though and it's why I hoped he would play (and win) a lot this fall. Started out well, hope he continues playing like this.

On another note, it's funny to see how reaction changes so dramatically after one result. Just a couple of days ago it was "Murray will likely never win a slam", now all of a sudden it's "it's a matter of when not if." :lol:

EXACTLY. It's about the long game people.

One match does not change the course of history. If Nadal loses one match it doesn't mean he's not a candidate for GOAT anymore, and one flukey win by Murray doesn't mean he's any closer at all to winning a single lone slam.

Murray is destined to forever remain slamless even if Djokovic, Federer were to retire tomorrow, and narrowly beating a 5% healthy Nadal in a tournament no-one cares about will not change that one bit.

Nothing in the word can or will improve his mental attitude and his weak body and lack of talent.

Chris Kuerten
10-09-2011, 11:49 AM
After all these years Rafatards are finally right when they claim Nadal is humble, every guy turns humble after becoming the most humiliated player in tennis history :lol:

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 11:51 AM

One match does not change the course of history. If Nadal loses one match it doesn't mean he's not a candidate for GOAT anymore, and one flukey win by Murray doesn't mean he's any closer at all to winning a single lone slam.

Murray is destined to forever remain slamless even if Djokovic, Federer were to retire tomorrow, and narrowly beating a 5% healthy Nadal in a tournament no-one cares about will not change that one bit.

Nothing in the word can or will improve his mental attitude and his weak body and lack of talent.

Took 160 odd posts before this gem came up.

MTF :eek:

Rodre Fegassi
10-09-2011, 11:52 AM
You need to believe something and stick to it, regardless of whatever happens, people.

That's what the long-game of being a tennis fan is about.

If Murray won every single masters title next year and reached all four slam finals in 2012 and had 5000 match points on his serve in each final, I still would hold true to my belief that he has ZERO chance of ever winning a slam.

This trend of changing your beliefs and predictions as you analyse more recent results is the biggest pile of crap I've ever witnessed.

foul_dwimmerlaik
10-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Jesus Christ you people.

So Murray plays well for one week, bagels Nadal on fast hardcourt in a MM tournament (this was not the first time either, but no one seems to remember Rotterdam 09 - fat load of good it did to Andy then), and suddenly he's the bee's knees and the best current fast hc player (ololo). The previous 4 matches that he lost to Nadal this year, are all forgotten.

Here's a dose of reality: this tournament means jack. Nothing've changed in Murray, he's still a wet blanket. He'll fold like a cheap tent when the stakes are real, again.

Toooom
10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Andy :angel:
What a choke Rafa :worship:

Singularity
10-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Winning the last two sets 6-2, 6-0, is a narrow victory I guess. Anyway, the lesson to be learned is that no one can predict the future. Did anyone anticipate Djokovic doing what he did this year, after squandering his opportunities and potential for 3 straight years?

No one can guarantee that Murray won't able to find his best tennis for two weeks, which is all he needs to do to stand a chance.

cobalt60
10-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Imagine. Good timing for Murray to step it up!

NID
10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Nadal was injured, no?

Time Violation
10-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Bumping some of these stupid posts will be fun when Murray wins a slam finally. Hope you don't mysteriously disappear then. :p

tennizen
10-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Reading this match thread feels like living in an alternate universe:eek: Such consistently positive opinions on Murray's level of play:eek:

As for the match result-NID. Relaxed Murray( & fast hardcourts)==winner Murray.

timafi
10-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Rafa wtf?I mean a bagel from Murray? :speakles: :facepalm: :lol:

Murray that's as far as you'll get to a slam win buddy:tape:

Saberq
10-09-2011, 12:23 PM
guys let's be real the only reason Murray won here is because Fed and Djokovic were not here .....

Matt01
10-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Nadal was injured, no?

Of course he was. If you say so :shrug:

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 12:28 PM
As I predicted as well, the faster court favoured Murray, meant he could play first-strike tennis more without the ball constantly coming back over the net.

Gullyfoyle
10-09-2011, 12:28 PM
:nerner:EXACTLY. It's about the long game people.

You should go w++k in a corner to go with your tears Fegassi..

green25814
10-09-2011, 12:33 PM

This. Its fucking hilarious to see dude.

Anyway this is just another small tournament but Muzz is obviously on top form, so he needs to keep playing and riding it out as long as possible. The more he wins the more confidence he'll get.

EddceLLent
10-09-2011, 12:49 PM
it's funny to see how reaction changes so dramatically after one result. Just a couple of days ago it was "Murray will likely never win a slam", now all of a sudden it's "it's a matter of when not if." :lol:

You need to believe something and stick to it, regardless of whatever happens, people.

My thoughts exactly! In one day opinions on Murray seem to have gone from about 70% negative/30% positive to 20% negative/80% positive. It's laughable really, not just the opinions on Murray, but also how Nadal is suddenly written off as a contender and people are suggesting he should retire. LOL get a grip, Nadal will be back. Murray had a day where everything seemed to fall into place but like someone said (I forget who but it's been quoted elsewhere in the thread), it's about how he deals with adversity that will make him. When he's on form that's great, but he needs to be able to power through when he's not playing so well, rather than get down on himself.

I thought this from his interview afterwards was particularly interesting:
"I was very consistent, didn't make too many mistakes and kept a cool head in the important moments."

...cool head in the important moments! that's what's been separating him from the top 3 when he's lost big matches to them. If he can sort that then there's no reason why he can't be a contender in slams. Granted it's a big "if" though!

guys let's be real the only reason Murray won here is because Fed and Djokovic were not here .....

Yawn... What do you want him to do? Pull out too? Spend the tournament playing some Mansour Bahrami style comedy tennis? Nadal is the one who's beaten Murray in three of the four slams this year and so i'm sure he'd be happy to get the win today. Yes, it's not a slam, but it seems rather strange to dismiss all other tournaments as being completely insignificant. After his AO loss Murray had a slump, it's encouraging that he's shown more mental fortitude after the USO and that he's set himself a target to keep himself focussed on improving his game.

So Murray plays well for one week, bagels Nadal on fast hardcourt in a MM tournament (this was not the first time either, but no one seems to remember Rotterdam 09

If I remember rightly, Nadal had a lengthy medical timeout in the Rotterdam match. Today there was no such indication that Nadal was unfit or injured.

Sorry for long post lol.

Sham Kay
10-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Andy won the doubles with his bro pretty easily. Might be a good luck charm, or maybe the doubles play is actually helping him stay relaxed and keeping that all important momentum from winning matches in a row.. nothing beats that winning feeling afterall, whether it's in singles or doubles.. Might as well try doubles in Shanghai too and test the theory.

Rodre Fegassi
10-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Jesus Christ you people.

So Murray plays well for one week, bagels Nadal on fast hardcourt in a MM tournament (this was not the first time either, but no one seems to remember Rotterdam 09 - fat load of good it did to Andy then), and suddenly he's the bee's knees and the best current fast hc player (ololo). The previous 4 matches that he lost to Nadal this year, are all forgotten.

Here's a dose of reality: this tournament means jack. Nothing've changed in Murray, he's still a wet blanket. He'll fold like a cheap tent when the stakes are real, again.

Amen to this.

Murray is a weakling, mentally and physically.

And to those people saying I'll just hide away if Murray ever breaks my golden rule and wins a slam - of course I won't. This is an internet forum. I have no shame on the internet. You can't kill me on the internet - I'll just pop right up and say that that slam was a fluke and he will never, in a million years win another one.

If this win was by a player like Djokovic, then yes, perhaps it would build confidence. But for Murray, every win makes him doubt his abilities a little bit more, as does every loss. If he wins or loses it is bad for his mentality.

People, don't give up hope, you were writing Murray off as a legitimate threat for any slam or masters ever just a day ago - stick to your guns and remember he is useless.

Current results simply don't matter, you can always predict the future from history.

EddceLLent
10-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Murray is a weakling, mentally
...Maybe

and physically.
...No lol

Current results simply don't matter, you can always predict the future from history.
...This may surprise you, but history is made up what was once "current results" :)

Singularity
Amen to this.

Murray is a weakling, mentally and physically.

And to those people saying I'll just hide away if Murray ever breaks my golden rule and wins a slam - of course I won't. This is an internet forum. I have no shame on the internet. You can't kill me on the internet - I'll just pop right up and say that that slam was a fluke and he will never, in a million years win another one.

Exactly. You'll just say whatever you need to, to annoy Murray fans. You're a typical member of MTF.

Time Violation
I'll just pop right up and say that that slam was a fluke and he will never, in a million years win another one.

I guess it's true when they say stupidity knows no bounds :)

Fujee
10-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Rafa's finals percentage has taken a beating this year.

Azurebi
10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Andy :hatoff:

AllezUSA
10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Andy :hatoff:

Normally I'd be upset at Moonball for losing to that banger-eatin, fish-and-chip eating, ale-drinking, court-clowning Murray -- but now I realize this win was only made possible when he miraculously defeated the Donald last week. Not surprisingly, that win catapulted his level of play into the stratosphere. Just another way that Donnie Young is having an impact on the future of the men's game.

Start da Game
10-09-2011, 01:21 PM
i saw the first set and left home only to come back and see murray holding the trophy......i was optimistic about this final but this result din't surprise me either knowing what murray is in best of 3 sets format......

rafa is a little off mentally.....let's just be done with this season already and start fresh next year......bring on australian open 2012 already......

rafa has sort of become a finals clown this year but he will keep fighting on no matter what and might probably take one title before the season end to everyone's surprise......

but the most important thing to note today:

this defeat actually proves that nadal's problem is not djokovic, the problem is more with his own game(mainly the backhand) which he needs to sort out in the year end break......

Matt01
10-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Exactly. You'll just say whatever you need to, to annoy Murray fans. You're a typical member of MTF.

:lol:

Sapeod
10-09-2011, 01:23 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I told you all that Andy would win :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave:

ANNIHILATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MASSIVE :facepalm: @ all of the Murray haters in this thread :stupid: :stupid:

tennisace28
10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
good point shankar, maybe its not merely djok's game but rafa's own game that has fallen apart.

green25814
10-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Sapeod about to become totally unbearable for the next month :tape:

Saberq
10-09-2011, 01:30 PM
i saw the first set and left home only to come back and see murray holding the trophy......i was optimistic about this final but this result din't surprise me either knowing what murray is in best of 3 sets format......

rafa is a little off mentally.....let's just be done with this season already and start fresh next year......bring on australian open 2012 already......

rafa has sort of become a finals clown this year but he will keep fighting on no matter what and might probably take one title before the season end to everyone's surprise......

but the most important thing to note today:

this defeat actually proves that nadal's problem is not djokovic, the problem is more with his own game(mainly the backhand) which he needs to sort out in the year end break......

Djokovic fucked him up ....This is a final Rafa had no place losing ....1 set up and he get's destroyed after...come on ....he needs to regroup ASAP we cant have him losing to Murray for gods sake

I told you all that Andy would win :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave: :bigwave:

:bigclap:

So what he will stop after WTF this year and AO 2012 when Murray fails again when it matters .....

Sapeod
10-09-2011, 01:31 PM
It's the forum's own fault. Most posters said Murray was going to be thrashed and laughed about it. Now look what happened :lol: That's what happens :bigwave:

Sapeod
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Djokovic fucked him up ....This is a final Rafa had no place losing ....1 set up and he get's destroyed after...come on ....he needs to regroup ASAP we cant have him losing to Murray for gods sake

:facepalm:
So what he will stop after WTF this year and AO 2012 when Murray fails again when it matters .....
I will never stop. I will always be behind Andy no matter what happens :bigwave:

Sham Kay
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM

Someone say Murray will never win a slam or something to cancel out this post. We need balance dammit.

I'm an optimist about Murrays future and always have been, but lets not overreact here. Played superbly, but lets save some of the gloating and showing off for when he takes his first slam. Until then we Murray fans shall continue to gather up the abuse *raises fist* :p

dav abu
10-09-2011, 01:35 PM
:facepalm: at the Murray fans going way over the top. Good win for him but really the year is all but over so let him do it here and now. Lets see what happens in the Grand Slams as usual.

Matt01
10-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Let him have some fun. The next Slam is coming soon.

BroTree123
10-09-2011, 01:37 PM
LOL @ Sapeod creaming his pants over a 500 win. Congrats anyhow.

tennizen
10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Sapoed is a good guy to have around when his favorite is winning. He should offer his vast, young energies for hire for rubbing victories in opposing tards faces.

Sham Kay
10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
If you can't have him losing to Murray, then who can you have him lose to? You expect the guy to just lose to Djokovic? I'm sure you aren't expecting Federer to pose a threat to Nadal. Now if you said that after he lost to Dodig.. then alright.

Time Violation
10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
good point shankar, maybe its not merely djok's game but rafa's own game that has fallen apart.

It's pretty much the same game as it always have been, it's not like Nadal is changing or trying anything new.

Ashlar77
10-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Andy :worship: Nadul :wavey:

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Sapeod is a kid and certainly not as deranged as some of the hedonistic creations on the Nadull or Nole army.

Saberq
10-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Sapeod is a kid and certainly not as deranged as some of the hedonistic creations on the Nadull or Nole army.

but you are not a kid and you know this win changes nothing right?

blank_frackis
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
:facepalm: at the Murray fans going way over the top. Good win for him but really the year is all but over so let him do it here and now. Lets see what happens in the Grand Slams as usual.

I agree, but if we take this attitude we may as well just shut down the forum until January. Nothing anybody does between now and then can withstand the "let's see what happens in a slam" line, so the whole thing seems pointless.

I'm not even talking about Murray here, but about the rest of the tour who are nowhere near even his level. What these tournaments are good for, if nothing else, is indicating where the players' games are and who might do something going forward.

Personally I think Murray has a mental block against Nadal in slams (even though he's beaten him twice) and the only way he's going to get over it is by winning matches like this on a consistent basis. If he follows it up by beating him in Shanghai (or wherever) and builds up some momentum then it will help. Same way Djokovic was arguably helped in his first slam victory over Nadal at Wimbledon by the knowledge that he'd already beaten Nadal in four Masters finals in 2011.

Gullyfoyle
10-09-2011, 02:04 PM
but you are not a kid and you know this win changes nothing right?

Winning changes, losing changes nothing.. right

Filo V.
10-09-2011, 02:07 PM
-4DHCdE7quU

This classic video more or less can be recreated for Murray and his fans. Pretty much how I feel about some of the statements made on this thread.

Certinfy
10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Crazy to think that Novak hasn't bageled Rafa this year while Andy has :haha:

Orka_n
10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Sapeod seems to think he'll only get his point across if he uses capital letters, 50 smileys, and a bigger font size. :tape:

Couldn't watch the match but impressive scoreline from Murray in the last 2. He seems to have played well, congrats to him.

Saberq
10-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Crazy to think that Novak hasn't bageled Rafa this year while Andy has :haha:

yet he won 3 Slams while Andy got beaten i 3 Slams by Rafa LOL

congrats on your boy winning the title man

Dini
10-09-2011, 02:14 PM

If that, coupled with Djokovic's run this year, doesn't show a shift in dominance duopoly I don't know what does. I wouldn't write off Fedal yet - they'll still win big here and there - but the consistency they showed from 2005-2010 is certainly a thing of the past.

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
yet he won 3 Slams while Andy got beaten i 3 Slams by Rafa LOL

congrats on your boy winning the title man

Stop glory hunting man, all tournaments are meaningful and have some lustre attached to them, it's not all about the top players.

Rodre Fegassi
10-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Non-slam tennis literally means nothing.

Murray beat Nadal, yeh, but so can Dodig. Can Dodig beat Nadal in a slam? No. Exactly.

These forums might as well shut down after US Open and wait for January.

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 02:17 PM
So Scotland are one up on Spain ahead of Tuesday as well :lol:

Orka_n
10-09-2011, 02:18 PM
If that, coupled with Djokovic's run this year, doesn't show a shift in dominance duoply I don't know what does. I wouldn't write off Fedal yet - they'll still win big here and there - but the consistency they showed from 2005-2010 is certainly a thing of the past.It's also a slam issue though. Murray needs to deliver in the slams before we can say he is the "real #2". He may do that in 2012, we'll see.

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Non-slam tennis literally means nothing.

Murray beat Nadal, yeh, but so can Dodig. Can Dodig beat Nadal in a slam? No. Exactly.

These forums might as well shut down after US Open and wait for January.

If that's not proof of a troll account I dunno what is.

Orka_n
10-09-2011, 02:22 PM
If that's not proof of a troll account I dunno what is.Yes, he's the most obvious troll on MTF right now. Don't know why he's not banned yet. Mods only need to check his post history.

alfonsojose
10-09-2011, 02:25 PM
:yeah: Pocahontas losing is always fun

Nole fan
10-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Utter domination from Murray. :worship:
Shame that he's so inconsistent. But this will give him a big boost of confidence. Bravo.
Poor Rafa, I wonder how shattered is his state of mind right now. :awww:

Saberq
10-09-2011, 02:29 PM
It's also a slam issue though. Murray needs to deliver in the slams before we can say he is the "real #2". He may do that in 2012, we'll see.

say what??????he beats Nadal once in a MM tournament and he is the real number 2??????????????

Nole fan
10-09-2011, 02:29 PM
say what??????he beats Nadal once in a MM tournament and he is the real number 2??????????????

That's a joke. :p

rocketassist
10-09-2011, 02:34 PM
NKFzHvSFOns

Matt01
10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
If that, coupled with Djokovic's run this year, doesn't show a shift in dominance duopoly I don't know what does. I wouldn't write off Fedal yet - they'll still win big here and there - but the consistency they showed from 2005-2010 is certainly a thing of the past.

There is no shift in dominance. Djokovic and Nadal have been by far the best players this year and this doesn't change after Murray winning this ATP 500 tourney.

:yeah: Pocahontas losing is always fun

Hater :ras:

Dini
10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
It's also a slam issue though. Murray needs to deliver in the slams before we can say he is the "real #2". He may do that in 2012, we'll see.

That much is true. But also 2011 was his most consistent year in the majors with F, SF, SF, SF - so even if a win eluded him he avoided any big upsets in slams which had been characteristic of him in previous years.

Another small but maybe meaningless stat is that Djokovic-Murray have a 14-2 finals record this year.
Federer-Nadal "only" 4-9. Not saying Murray is the real number 2 until he is though. Just suggesting that both Murray and Djokovic have stepped up their consistency this year.

Orka_n
10-09-2011, 02:38 PM
That much is true. But also 2011 was his most consistent year in the majors with F, SF, SF, SF - so even if a win eluded him he avoided any big upsets in slams which had been characteristic of him in previous years.

Another small but maybe meaningless stat is that Djokovic-Murray have a 14-2 finals record this year.
Federer-Nadal "only" 4-9. Not saying Murray is the real number 2 until he is though. Just suggesting that both Murray and Djokovic have stepped up their consistency this year.That I agree with. :)

Dini
10-09-2011, 02:39 PM
There is no shift in dominance. Djokovic and Nadal have been by far the best players this year and this doesn't change after Murray winning this ATP 500 tourney.

Meant it as a shift from Fedal being dominant, so talking about Federer here too. (But my statement is long overdue.) I have a feeling it's going to be a lot more Murray-Djokovic from here on in than Nadal-Djokovic but Nadal is free to prove me wrong as I prefer him over Murray actually.

Orka_n
10-09-2011, 02:44 PM
say what??????he beats Nadal once in a MM tournament and he is the real number 2??????????????Nobody is saying that. Relax a bit, would ya.

Johnny Groove
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
WTF happened here, Rafa? :o

Judging from the comments here, Murray was too good in the 2nd and 3rd sets, but I gotta watch the match and find out what the hell Rafa was doing to lose this from a set up. Mug.

Now we will see if Murray can keep this level up in Shanghai, Paris, WTF, and AO.

As for all the bullshit over the top MTF hyperbole, please, people. This place never stops making blanket statements only to be proven wrong the very next week :lol:

TMJordan
10-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Spartan like final set from Nadull.

Matt01
10-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Federer-Nadal "only" 4-9. Not saying Murray is the real number 2 until he is though. Just suggesting that both Murray and Djokovic have stepped up their consistency this year.

Murray has stepped up his consistancy in the Slams this year but not at the ATP tournaments since he had some embarassing losses there. And I have no reason for bashing Murray and I'm congratulating him for this good win, but please let's stick to the reality. Mentioning Murray in the same breath with Djokovic when the #1 is clearly in a league of his own and Rafa clearly 2nd best, that is a bit misleading.

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Spartan like final set from Nadull.

:haha:

Nole fan
10-09-2011, 03:03 PM
As much as I like Murray he still has to prove that he can consistently beat Djokovic, Federer and Nadal. In my opinion he's the real n#4, he's always been. But #2? :spit:

Dini
10-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Murray has stepped up his consistancy in the Slams this year but not at the ATP tournaments since he had some embarassing losses there. And I have no reason for bashing Murray and I'm congratulating him for this good win, but please let's stick to the reality. Mentioning Murray in the same breath with Djokovic when the #1 is clearly in a league of his own and Rafa clearly 2nd best, that is a bit misleading.

I agree that Djokovic is miles ahead of Murray, that was never in question and I never did say that Murray was anywhere near equal to him. I was comparing Federer+Nadal with Murray+Djokovic because that's how they've been usually compared. Just have a feeling that Murray/Djokovic will be the ones continuing to step up to the plate from now on and Federer/Nadal continuing to find it hard to close out finals. It might be a bold, stupid and unrealistic opinion but it is what it is.

habibko
10-09-2011, 03:05 PM
cOF43h6N3EY

superslam77
10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
oh yeah :)

Nole fan
10-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree that Djokovic is miles ahead of Murray, that was never in question and I never did say that Murray was anywhere near equal to him. I was comparing Federer+Nadal with Murray+Djokovic because that's how they've been usually compared. Just have a feeling that Murray/Djokovic will be the ones continuing to step up to the plate from now on and Federer/Nadal continuing to find it hard to close out finals. It might be a bold, stupid and unrealistic opinion but it is what it is.

Agree. :yeah:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/blackdamsel/Nolandy2.jpg

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 03:16 PM
My thoughts exactly! In one day opinions on Murray seem to have gone from about 70% negative/30% positive to 20% negative/80% positive. It's laughable really, not just the opinions on Murray, but also how Nadal is suddenly written off as a contender and people are suggesting he should retire. LOL get a grip, Nadal will be back. Murray had a day where everything seemed to fall into place but like someone said (I forget who but it's been quoted elsewhere in the thread), it's about how he deals with adversity that will make him. When he's on form that's great, but he needs to be able to power through when he's not playing so well, rather than get down on himself.

Not to be rude- but did you even watch the first 3 games? Murray came out, couldn't really return a serve, was broken on his his first serve, and couldn't breakback. He went down 3-0 immediately. Everyone freaked out, as it looked like Murray's mental demons would overshadow his form for the last week. How is being 3-0 down to Nadal in a final not adversity? Nothing fell into place for him until midway through the second set. It took tremendous grit for him to comeback and not stay down on himself.

That's the reason I and a lot of others are so impressed- it's not that Nadal was consistently outplayed like Ferrer was the day before, he was not, but that Andy had every reason to get down on himself and go away, and instead he hung tough and found his very best tennis when he needed it so desperately.

Rodre Fegassi
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Utter domination from Murray. :worship:
Shame that he's so inconsistent. But this will give him a big boost of confidence. Bravo.
Poor Rafa, I wonder how shattered is his state of mind right now. :awww:

Nadal will think about this loss for, oh I dunno: about 3 seconds.

Next time he plays Murray he'll use exactly the same tactics as he always does (and that he used today, and that he uses against everyone else). He'll forget he ever lost to Murray.

Murray thinks too much. Every time he loses to Rafa he thinks how can I improve, why did I lose...etc... That's not the way to go about it. Then of course, next time he meets Rafa he gets paranoid and tentative from thinking too much.

Rafa uses the same tactic against everyone no matter whether it caused him to lose last time or not. He gives zero consideration to the previous head to head and gives zero consideration to tactics, and that's why he's such a threat and Murray will never be a threat. Tennis ain't a thinking man's sport - just hit high to the backhand!! Game over.

Djokovic is having some success this year - but all it means is that Nadal needs to hit even higher and harder to his backhand.

Corey Feldman
10-09-2011, 03:52 PM
:lol: runner uperer, 7 finals in one season, sheesh, that finals win % taking a beating this year, dedicated to my good friend Bibberz

Murray, Button winning Japanese GP and Brit winner on the golf tournament in Spain today, want to remind me that us Brits are not the best sport nation anyone? thks and make quiet.

how many times has bagel boy been bageled now? Muzza's bageled him in 2 finals lolz

MuzzahLovah
10-09-2011, 04:01 PM
cOF43h6N3EY

Looks so easy in the highlights- I was on the edge of my seat the whole match. I honestly thought Nadal would break back and the second set would go to a tie break.

Corey Feldman
10-09-2011, 04:01 PM
nice last set Nadall the big fighter - 4 points won

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOOO

EddceLLent
10-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Not to be rude- but did you even watch the first 3 games? Murray came out, couldn't really return a serve, was broken on his his first serve, and couldn't breakback. He went down 3-0 immediately. Everyone freaked out, as it looked like Murray's mental demons would overshadow his form for the last week. How is being 3-0 down to Nadal in a final not adversity? Nothing fell into place for him until midway through the second set. It took tremendous grit for him to comeback and not stay down on himself.

That's the reason I and a lot of others are so impressed- it's not that Nadal was consistently outplayed like Ferrer was the day before, he was not, but that Andy had every reason to get down on himself and go away, and instead he hung tough and found his very best tennis when he needed it so desperately.

Hey, unfortunately thanks to poor UK tv I wasn't able to watch the match (it wasn't on tv and I didn't fancy getting up at 6am for a laggy live stream) and so i've only seen highlights. When I say everything fell into place I was referring to the bigger picture in that he ended up turning it around. I'm not saying he didn't triumph through adversity today, because he obviously did, and I acknowledged that was key through what I quoted from his interview afterwards. When I say "everything fell into place" perhaps it sounds a bit too much as if i'm saying he was lucky, which obviously would detract from his spirited performance today.

Johnny Groove
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Waaaaaaaay too much moonballing from Rafa in that third set.

And from shots he is in position to rip. Just no confidence in his aggressive game, a style he must play now that he is a step slower these days. Too much moonballing and defense combined with 2005 serve won't get it done on a court like this against a player like this.

Corey Feldman
10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
now this settles who the real #2 player is, won doubles as well

Take away the first set and Nadal is just another Young :lol:

Rafa, you fucking idiot when will you stop breaking my heart :hysteric:
Just retire :sobbing:

:haha:New Zealand Haka on all your faces

:hug:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3775/43989029.jpg:lol: someone get a pen and scribble at the bottom "except on Sundays"

Haka

LoveFifteen
10-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Congratulations to Murray and his fans. :hatoff:

Hopefully this win will give Murray some confidence going into the WTF.

I really miss the form Rafa had at the 2010 US Open. :sad:

Saberq
10-09-2011, 04:34 PM
GTFO Mickey Murray the real number 2????how many Slams has he won this year?How many Slam Finals?Masters?

GSMnadal
10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
GTFO Mickey Murray the real number 2????how many Slams has he won this year?How many Slam Finals?Masters?

http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Posters/B/Poster%20-%20Band%20Wagon,%20The_02.jpg

Brought to you by MTF

Start da Game
10-09-2011, 04:42 PM
it's all mental at this point in the season, he's probably off mentally now for the remaining part of the season......i am glad that he lost today because that announces to the world what i have been saying through out......the issues are not with djokovic alone but with his own game too......

the backhand is at an all time low......freezing like a 15 year old when he has to inject pace and dictate the point with his backhand, will never help the matters......

time is the only solution......fixing his dreadful backhand alone will suffice, i don't even blame his serve because it's confidence related and his dreadful backhand is the primary reason for the loss of confidence......

maybe statracket can tell us this......how many times did he flatten his backhand down the line for clean winners in the entire season? there lies the answer really.....

he won 9 slams(us open 2010 is the only slam he mainly won with his serve) with his baseline game......that should exemplify the truth that he just cannot afford to let any contest against a top player turn into a "two working wings vs. one working wing"......

that's all there is to nadal in 2011......2008 and 2010 were history......2012 could be the greatest season of his career if he just fixes his backhand in the off season......

Shinoj
10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
that's all there is to nadal in 2011......2008 and 2010 were history......2012 could be the greatest season of his career if he just fixes his backhand in the off season......

The writing is on the wall. Djokovic has done it, Murray has embarassed him. One more from Federer and thats it. Its back to good old Mallorcan sea and some Paella with Uncle Toni and Golfing lessons. Vamos.

Egreen
10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Nadal's permanent and irreversible decline that started after he won the USO and therefore achieved the Career Slam continues. Something that also can be said about Federer after achieving the Career Slam. Nole is next.:angel:

Corey Feldman
10-09-2011, 04:55 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/fc/fullj.75ccb9b3ee6cef7e6cfa2af39f514403/75ccb9b3ee6cef7e6cfa2af39f514403-getty-128796987.jpg