rules question [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

rules question

rcloughga
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
During a 4.0 league match we tried setting up regular on my serve, then as I am hitting my serve my partner moves from regular to I formation. Same vice versa, as I am hitting my serve. He times his move since he knows I toss after my 3rd bounce. The opponent claimed that was not legal since we were trying to distract him....well, we were, kind of like a fake poach while he is hitting is a distraction. So, is our movement illegal, or is it unsporting?

v-money
09-30-2011, 03:30 PM
You partner is certainly allowed to move during your serve, this is why poaching is legal. In fact, in doubles it is legal for the partner to stand anywhere, even if it obstructs the other teams view of the ball.

Seems very legal to me, but maybe a bit unsporting.

rcloughga
09-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I thought it would be legal since he is just changing position and not jumping around waving his arms or something.
Unsporting? I am still mulling that over.... but leaning toward sporting. It is very much like moving around at any other point of a point, except the ball is often not quite in play yet....and I have never seen anyone do it on tv. Might be best if he made sure to wait until he hears me hit the serve and then move....of course then he risks getting hit in the head.