What do you think of industrial livestock farming? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What do you think of industrial livestock farming?

Navratil
09-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Do people have the right to treat animals like that?

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/default.aspx

Do you prefer organic food because of respect for the animals? Are you vegetarian?

http://www.helles-koepfchen.de/Bilder/Originale/Wissen/unsere_Umwelt/schweine6.jpg

http://www.onlinekunst.de/ostern/legehennen_f18.jpg

http://www.basisgruppe-tierrechte.org/Tierausbeutung/fleisch/schlachtung_rind.jpg

:sad:

Navratil
09-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Personally I'm not a vegetarian but I only buy organic food from species-appropriate keeping of animals.

It's natural to eat meat and animals eat animals too. But I think that the modern industrial livestock farming is perverse and I don't want to support that.

There has been a huge boom of organic food in Germany for the last years and organic food is available in almost every supermarket.

I'd like to pay a few more cents for my eggs knowing that they don't come from a laying batterie.

Navratil
09-23-2011, 07:50 AM
By the way: Martina Navratilova has appeared in ad campaigns for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). She is a vegetarian and is involved with various charities that benefit animal rights.

Lopez
09-23-2011, 11:54 AM
While I support treating animals better, organic farming as a whole is a bit of a joke really, especially on the plants side.

Most organically farmed livestock are "treated" with homeopathy since many medicines are not allowed :rolls:. Talk about useless! At least the placebo effect takes care of it with humans.

Navratil
09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
While I support treating animals better, organic farming as a whole is a bit of a joke really, especially on the plants side.

Most organically farmed livestock are "treated" with homeopathy since many medicines are not allowed :rolls:. Talk about useless! At least the placebo effect takes care of it with humans.

But there are concrete requirements for organic food in terms of livestock breeding - at least in the European Union.

E.G. a chicken needs to have a special ammount of space and needs to have outdoor and indoor enivornment etc.

VolandriFan
09-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Of course it's disgusting, but the industry is practically impossible to regulate. That said, a lot more can be done and the media attention must be helping somewhat.

Sunset of Age
09-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Awful, absolutely awful.
My own country is one of the biggest 'bio-industries' in the world, the abuse of millions of pigs, cows, chickens, it's just unspeakable. :o :help:

And nearly everyone just turns a blind eye to it, which is even more horrible. As long as the $$$$ come in, who cares, eh? :rolleyes:

I've become a part-time vegetarian because of it (meat only on the plate 2-3 days a week) - and when I buy meat, I do so at a so-called 'green' butcher, where I hope the animal at least has been allowed to have a decent life before getting slaughtered.

I've forgotten who was this great guy who once said that you can judge a community's level of civilization on the way they treat their animals - Ghandi?

BigJohn
09-23-2011, 08:48 PM
It's either that or considerably reduce the world population.

JolánGagó
09-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Treatment of livestock is revolting. I don't eat much meat either.

That said, I must excruciatingly agree with above poster LilJohn. World population isn't sustainable by "green", "organic" or any other mean but intensive agriculture and industrial processing. Planet Earth was NOT designed to have 6 bill human beings roaming on it.

BigJohn
09-23-2011, 09:13 PM
There is hope for that one... :)

Shirogane
09-23-2011, 09:35 PM
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread.

Topspindoctor
09-24-2011, 12:32 AM
It's either that or strict regulations and heavy fines for animal abuse. Which means the price of meat and poultry will skyrocket - Most people are good at beating their chest spouting righteous indignations about animal cruelty, but I bet they'd be quite upset if meat tripled in price.

The only viable alternative, as someone has already suggested in this thread, is population control via restriction of how many children a couple can have (perhaps a mandatory IQ test and evaluation of their financial situation as well before allowing kids). This planet has too many people - not enough to sustain itself without barbaric treatment of animals, genetic engineering etc.

buddyholly
09-24-2011, 02:22 AM
I've forgotten who was this great guy who once said that you can judge a community's level of civilization on the way they treat their animals - Ghandi?

If he had said you can judge a community's level of civilization by the way it treats its citizens it would not have been so well received in India.

buddyholly
09-24-2011, 02:38 AM
By the way: Martina Navratilova has appeared in ad campaigns for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). She is a vegetarian and is involved with various charities that benefit animal rights.

Unfortunately PETA is now just for fanatical idiots. They do not believe in eating any animal, using any animal product such as wool, hunting, fishing etc.

And to show how ridiculous their ideas are, even though they called themselves PETA, political correctness has caught up with them and pets are now called animal companions. Dumb.

Mjau!
09-24-2011, 03:16 AM
I want to be a veggie :sad:

BigJohn
09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I want to be a veggie :sad:

I think you would make a fine leek.

http://www.curlywilly.com/mascots/leek-002.jpg

MaxPower
09-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Livestock farming is no problem at all if it's run well. My uncle is a fairly big farmer and I've been there many times and the animals got space, are well fed and seem healthy and happy. It's not like cows and pigs at farms are aware of their future demise. The only life they know is the life on the farm and unless the people taking care of them are sadistic a-holes they will live good lives.

It's obviously a culture thing too and in countries with high resources and high morals industrial livestock farming is not a problem in itself.

The problem is in overpopulated countries where efficiency and quantity is put in front of the well-being of animals and the only priority is how much and how cheap you can produce the meat. I've seen videos from China that is atrocious but that is a world apart from how it looks in Sweden.

Point is that you as the consumer has the responsibility. You can always choose to buy the more expensive meat from countries where the conditions might be better. Or you can be greedy and buy the cheapest meat possible that might have been transported from the other side of the world produced under nightmarish conditions.

Personally I hope they can grow meat on industrial scale much like we grow crop today. That is take away the animals and just grow muscle/fat tissue straight away laboratory style. The technology already exists but any practical application of it is maybe 20 years away. Might sound science fiction to some of you but imagine giant reservoirs where meat is grown like it was a greenhouse for plants. Instead of water it will be supplied with some kind of blood substitute...

Navratil
09-26-2011, 07:55 AM
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread.

Why?

I think one of the biggest problems is that it's so easy to look away. Most people just don't want to know what's going on in the factories.

And I'm pretty sure that most people who would have visit a factory like that would be vegetarian afterwards ;)

It's much easier to look away, be ignorant and unaware and still not feeling guilty or responsable.

But in the end the consumers are resonsable!

Sunset of Age
09-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Treatment of livestock is revolting. I don't eat much meat either.

That said, I must excruciatingly agree with above poster LilJohn. World population isn't sustainable by "green", "organic" or any other mean but intensive agriculture and industrial processing. Planet Earth was NOT designed to have 6 bill human beings roaming on it.

Of course the overpopulation of our planet is a huge problem - unfortunately sustained by all sorts of religious as well as economic forces :o - but that doesn't rule out that if everyone, especially in the rich parts of the world, just cuts down the amount of meat they eat it would do a lot of good to both us consumers and sending off a clear message to the bio-industry that the way cattle is treated there is unacceptable.

Western consumers spend a lot of cash on all sorts of unneccesary garbage - but when it comes to spending a little more cash on meat from animals that have been treated relatively well, it's suddenly... too expensive.
At least that's the 'excuse' I always hear from my countrymen. :rolleyes:

Nikki♥
09-28-2011, 07:50 AM
How happy I am to be a pescetarian because it is impossible to eat meat these days without feeling guilty. :sad:

Navratil
09-29-2011, 07:17 AM
How happy I am to be a pescetarian because it is impossible to eat meat these days without feeling guilty. :sad:

Congratulation! That's cool!!

I admire people that consequent :worship:

nadejda
09-29-2011, 07:33 AM
I am vegetarian for 11 years already and vegan the last 1 and a half.
I've quit with eating meat when a heard my grandmather's pig screaming being slother at the backyeard of her farm. The pig was threaten 'nicely' and live a 'good' life with a natural food and walking and so on...but that doesn't change the fact it was murdered.
Anyway I am not here to preach you. It is already a big step from those who feel some kind of a need to do a step like cutting down the number of meat consumption at least! I congratulate you for doing so.:yeah:

Navratil
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
(...) Anyway I am not here to preach you. (...)

But why not?

I know life is not easy as a missonary but why not if it is a good thing you believe in? ;)

:angel:

buddyholly
09-29-2011, 03:18 PM
I think the thread title is loaded. As indicated by the discussion here, which is all about cruelty. Or about vegetarianism, which is to say, eating meat or not eating meat, a different topic altogether.

As a SCUBA diver, I have seen how the oceans are dying from overfishing. There is no chance of the extinction of chickens and pigs, so being a pescaterian may not be so noble as it sounds. It might even be cause for some guilt over the destruction of ocean life. I love seafood, but I even things out with lots of chicken, pork and the odd indulgence in a juicy steak.

nadejda
09-29-2011, 05:52 PM
But why not?

I know life is not easy as a missonary but why not if it is a good thing you believe in? ;)

:angel:

I've been trough those kind of discussions for so many times during these years and I am very tired and...sad :sad: when seeing how ignorant people might be trying hard to justify their habits and not actually seaking for an open and honest discussion.

buddyholly
09-29-2011, 07:12 PM
I've been trough those kind of discussions for so many times during these years and I am very tired and...sad :sad: when seeing how ignorant people might be trying hard to justify their habits and not actually seaking for an open and honest discussion.

Are you saying that an open and honest discussion involves agreeing with you, - or even that anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant?

nadejda
09-29-2011, 07:55 PM
no
I don't say that at all. In fact quite the opposite.

buddyholly
09-30-2011, 03:01 AM
I've been trough those kind of discussions for so many times during these years and I am very tired and...sad :sad: when seeing how ignorant people might be trying hard to justify their habits and not actually seaking for an open and honest discussion.Who are these people and what habits do they try to justify?

Navratil
03-19-2012, 09:33 AM
The sciences are optimistic that it'll be possible to "produce" meat without any animals in laboratories within a few years.

Sounds weird but that would be the perfect solution! Eating meat without having a bad conscience ;)

They actually want to isolate cells to accrete themselves. This actually a quite natural action. If you injured yourself, your skin is able to close the wound.

Sorry, can't explain it any better ;)

And I didn't find an article in English. Does anybody else?