Anyone read the book? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anyone read the book?

@Sweet Cleopatra
09-12-2011, 08:50 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401324517/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1844547221&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RB7YCP587Y42V6CDVAX

I will buy it soon :bounce:

Has anyone read it? What's your opinion?

Castafiore
09-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Nope, I don't have the book (yet)

JolánGagó
09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
star and MariaV have the book already.

star
09-14-2011, 05:01 PM
And I finished mine! :lol:

It was pretty good.

JolánGagó
09-14-2011, 07:55 PM
is there juicy gossip about the tour?

star
09-14-2011, 07:58 PM
is there juicy gossip about the tour?

From Rafa????

You’ve got to be kidding! :lol:

Lots of stuff about Toni though. :unsure:

Mary is what Rafa calls Maria Francisca, and nobody calls her Xisca. Mary is strange, no?

JolánGagó
09-14-2011, 08:12 PM
No, about the tour, other players, etc...

It would be "Mari" and pronounced the Spanish way, it's a common short version for María. "Xisca" is short for Francisca, but that's used only in Balearic islands. I've read many times she isn't called "Xisca" by anyone close, just the media, I doubt that.

star
09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
No, about the tour, other players, etc...

It would be "Mari" and pronounced the Spanish way, it's a common short version for María. "Xisca" is short for Francisca, but that's used only in Balearic islands. I've read many times she isn't called "Xisca" by anyone close, just the media, I doubt that.

:(

Why wouldn’t the author say Mari then? Maybe he thinks we are stupid. :( :(

They stomp on the name Xisca, and kick it, and kill it.

Nothing about the players. He doesn’t even talk about LilLo. :( or Pico. Or Flo. He talks about playing Federer and Djokovic in particular matches. The author interviews Moya, so there is Moya talking about Rafa. Rafa talks about his mother, his father, Toni, Titin, Tuts, Maymo, and the Dr. whose name I can’t remember right now.

JolánGagó
09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Isn't it boring? :lol:

Not mentioning LiLo, that's unforgivable, he owes him a couple of titles.

star
09-14-2011, 10:55 PM

Wouldn’t you think? :shrug:

It’s interesting psychologically. It’s interesting hearing about what goes on in Rafa’s mind in matches and how he views his matches. The stuff about Toni is very interesting. Also what he says about his father.

The the author talks about Mallorquins (? is that right?) and their mentality. How the family views Rafa — bad driver which is a nearly unforgivable sin for me. :sad: Really value good driving especially in a man. It’s a sexy thing.

Getta
09-14-2011, 11:57 PM
it has long been known that the wheel is an extension of a man's will

star
09-15-2011, 01:19 AM
it has long been known that the wheel is an extension of a man's will

And a woMan’s will.

Love to see the power a woman gets behind the wheel.

JolánGagó
09-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Mallorquins are very special kind of people, yep. Those families living for centuries in the little island invaded by every kingdom, caliphate or republic around. Everyone seems welcome yet kept at safe bay.

Edda
09-15-2011, 01:38 AM
I would love to read it!

Castafiore
09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
I just received the book. I haven't read the book entirely yet but so far, it's interesting. You notice right away that this book was written by a good author (John Carlin). (the sections where Rafa talks are a result from a conversation between Carlin and Rafa, but it's probably safe to assume that Carlin was the one to actually write it down).

Like star says, it's interesting from a psychological point of view. Esp. towards Toni.

Warning: Spoiler ahead (move over it with your computer mouse to read)
Most of Rafa's family members have often noted that Toni is VERY, VERY strict with Rafael and not just now but from the start.
Rafa's godfather (the brother of his mother) is the one, so it seems, to actually sometimes stand up to Toni for this. At one point, he called Toni's strict approach "mental cruelty".
--> Most of Rafa's family have had concerns as well but most of them also accept that Toni had a plan and a reason. The fact that no other kid (Toni used to coach many kids) received this treatment was because Toni felt that Rafael was the only one who could handle that and the only one with the mind of a future champion.
Rafa says that in his everyday life, he's quite clumsy (his godfather says that he has that from his mother). One day (he was only a boy then), he wanted to jump over the net to get to the other side of the court, he stumbled and fell on his wrist. It was obvious that Rafa was in quite a bit of pain and he needed to go to a doctor but instead, Toni said to Rafa, pointing to his head, that it's empty up there (paraphrasing).
Rafa's godfather saw and heard it, he got upset. Took Rafa to take him to a doctor and he said to Toni that he went too far this time.

The interesting part of that is that Rafa can understand why Toni was so harsh to him at times and his uncle Miguel Angel understands it as well. Maybe you need to know for yourself how very tough it is at the top of a professional sport to know what it takes to strengthen a young mind so that he can deal with competing at a top level.

Carlin says that Toni is different than the other Nadals. Not that he's the black sheep of the family because that's not the family's way of doing things..
/spoiler

star
09-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I just received the book. I haven't read the book entirely yet but so far, it's interesting. You notice right away that this book was written by a good author (John Carlin). (the sections where Rafa talks are a result from a conversation between Carlin and Rafa, but it's probably safe to assume that Carlin was the one to actually write it down).

Like star says, it's interesting from a psychological point of view. Esp. towards Toni.

Hilde, I’ll be interested to talk to you to compare reactions to these and other things in the book. I formed two major impressions I didn’t have before reading the book along with a couple of minor :o s

Castafiore
09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Hilde, I’ll be interested to talk to you to compare reactions to these and other things in the book. I formed two major impressions I didn’t have before reading the book along with a couple of minor :o s
I'll pm you when I've finished reading the book (I'm not reading it in one go).

star
09-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I'll pm you when I've finished reading the book (I'm not reading it in one go).

Don’t blame you. I had another book going while I was reading it. Some of it was a bit of a slog, frankly. :lol:

MariaV
09-17-2011, 06:01 PM

You can't put EVERYTHING in one book, no? :o :shrug:
I finished reading my book. :dance: :banana:

I loved the book of course but then again I'm the fangirl, I love everything about him. :o :lol: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
Yeah nothing shocking, no gossip or such. :

What were your impressions and the :os Star?
Rafa loves kids but he is afraid of dogs as already quoted by the media. Probably some big dog scared him when he was a little kid.

For WG - There is a photo of toddler Rafa in the RM kit I haven't seen before (but that's just me of course) and the famous photo with Miguel Angel in the Barca kit (we all have seen, no?) after what he got teased a lot. :awww:

Edda
09-20-2011, 01:54 AM
I wonder if Mallorca has a huge feral dog population? That could account for Rafa's fear. He likely didn't want to get bitten. (I know there are a lot of feral cats there.)

star
09-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Of course, when I was a kid I made friends with the stray dogs and brought them home with me. :lol:

This did not make the people at home happy. :(

There was one dog who frightened me. She was an old fat dog who generally lay across the entryway to the meat market. She growled when I approached.

Edda
10-03-2011, 02:03 AM
I arrived at work at my local library on Friday to see that the Rafa book was there for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Interestingly enough, I had just finished a book on the history of Spain before starting the Rafa book.

star
10-03-2011, 03:10 AM
I arrived at work at my local library on Friday to see that the Rafa book was there for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Interestingly enough, I had just finished a book on the history of Spain before starting the Rafa book.

Let us know what you think when you’re done.

Xristos
10-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Does it say anything about how he copes after a hard loss?

JolánGagó
10-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I wonder if Mallorca has a huge feral dog population? That could account for Rafa's fear. He likely didn't want to get bitten. (I know there are a lot of feral cats there.)

:spit:

there are no feral dogs in Spain anymore :sad:

Im getting my two cats on Friday :bounce:

star
10-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Does it say anything about how he copes after a hard loss?

He talked about after his 2007 Wimbledon loss. Not so much about other losses. There’s a lot about what he is thinking during matches. Reasons for setting up his bottles and other rituals.

:spit:

there are no feral dogs in Spain anymore :sad:

Im getting my two cats on Friday :bounce:

:bounce:

Can’t wait for the pictures!

Edda
10-05-2011, 01:07 AM
I want to see the kitty pics, too!