The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "What a KERJ!!!!!" Thread (aka Andy's Charity Stuff!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 02:48 AM
there's bound to be a bunch of news and more pics, so why not a new thread ;)

$20,000 for a half-hour lesson with Andy? Holy mother....

But in all seriousness, what a nice guy;)
=======

$40,000 for Charity!
by: Staff
AR.com

10/11/2004 --

Andy is hot on the court and Andy is hot off the court, but Andy is smoking for charity. As previously reported on ar.com, Andy is attending the 12th Annual World Team Tennis All-Star Smash Hits at the Bren Center at the University of California, Irvine Campus. During the auction at the banquet on Sunday evening, $20,000 was bid for a one-half hour lesson with Andy, who then immediately offered another one-half hour lesson raising a very impressive $40,000 for charity.

Andy’s table at the banquet included Elton John, Anna Kournikova, Josh Grobin, and Neve Campbell who all had a great time. Elton showed his appreciation to Andy by dedicating his song “Rocket Man” to him. (:haha: :haha: :haha: DEATH!!!!!!!!!)

superpinkone37
10-12-2004, 03:35 AM
elton's the bomb :cool:
andy wore his glasses to look just like him ;)

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 05:57 AM
:scratch: There are lots of pics of Elton, Andre, and Anna from tonight but no Andy :confused:

Havok
10-12-2004, 06:11 AM
When Andre and Anna are playing together on one side of the court, I don't care who their opponents are, all cameras are on them!

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:13 AM
that doesn't explain all the pictures of Elton John massaging Billie Jean King's shoulders :lol:

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Oh hush it was a typo :p

but I spoke too soon anyway :haha:

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-10-12T051058Z_01_IRV12D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

ummmmm I love Andre... but..... ewwwww

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-10-12T051217Z_01_IRV13D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

Naldo, maybe he's whispering sweet nothings ;)
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-10-12T051248Z_01_IRV14D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

MisterQ
10-12-2004, 06:16 AM
that doesn't explain all the pictures of Elton John massaging Billie Jean King's shoulders :lol:

eroticism at its finest :lol:

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:16 AM
mine too! :D make sure you see the ones I edited

and yes Q, what a turn-on!!! :haha:

just in case you didn't believe me:p and look at Anna, she wants in on that action :haha:

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-10-12T050957Z_01_IRV11D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

superpinkone37
10-12-2004, 06:19 AM
hey anna, stay away from my andy!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

and to think...i couldnt have been there tonight...:sad: :sad: :sad:
i do love that first picture of andy though :)

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:22 AM
awwwww Danielle :hug:

but OHMYGOD this picture is so wrong for so many reasons :haha: :sobbing:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041012/capt.cacc10710120510.world_team_tennis_cacc107.jpg

superpinkone37
10-12-2004, 06:39 AM

:hug: well i made my mom look at all the pictures you guys have posted so far to make her feel bad for not letting me go, lol. and she saw andre and anna and shes like "oh she better stay away from my guy!" and i told her she could have been there right now....and now she feels a little bit bad lol

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20041012/capt.cacc10710120510.world_team_tennis_cacc107.jpg

and that picture...OMG :haha:

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:46 AM
Tennis tandem in N.D.
By Hayden Goethe,The Forum
Published Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick have won tournaments from Toronto to Tokyo and places in between.

The American duo will battle today for a title in a place where neither has won -- North Dakota.

Agassi, a winner of eight Grand Slam titles, and Roddick, a Wimbledon finalist, meet in a 7:30 p.m. exhibition match today at Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks, N.D.

"I've heard it's an incredible arena," Agassi said. "I can't wait to see it. It's quite a thrill for me to have seen so many parts of this world."

Tickets for the Engelstad Open, which also features the Jensen Brothers facing University of Minnesota players, went on sale Sept. 21. Ticket prices range from $24 to $66.

"We're expecting about 8,000 people in the stands," said Chris Semrau, Director of Events and Media Relations. Semrau said over 7,000 tickets had been sold by Monday afternoon.

Proceeds benefit the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy, a Las Vegas school designed to prepare at-risk children for higher education settings.

Agassi called Roddick about participating in the event. Roddick did not hesitate to help Agassi with his foundation.

"Andre and I have become pretty good friends," Roddick said. "(We) have played in a couple of exhibition matches. We're excited to be coming to North Dakota."

The 22-year-old Roddick, who won the U.S. Open last year, has enjoyed a solid season so far. In addition to reaching the final at this year's Wimbledon, he ranks second in ATP earnings this year.

"Not only is he a phenomenal talent, but he's come into a generation that's not easy," Agassi said. "It's not easy to follow up a lot of great Americans. To have an American capture the imagination of the market is important. I think he has done it."

Agassi is 5-1 all-time against Roddick, including a victory at the Tennis Masters Series in Cincinnati in his only match against Roddick this season.

"It has gotten tougher and tougher," Agassi said. "My secret is to fight for my life in the first point."

Roddick said it's always a strange feeling to play against the 34-year-old Agassi, whom he admired growing up.

"It's a trip," Roddick said. "It's always fun playing someone you idolize."

With fellow rival Pete Sampras retiring last season, Agassi says he is unsure when he will decide to step away from tennis.

He's busy focusing on his game, including today's match with Roddick. While it's an exhibition, Agassi says the "energy should be high from the get."

He knows what to expect from Roddick, but North Dakota is another matter. Neither player has ever been in the state.

"I'm hoping for some inspiration while I'm there to have reasons to come back," Agassi said.

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Charity critical to Agassi

Andre Agassi established the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation hoping to help at-risk children inside and outside the classroom.

His rigorous ATP schedule never limits him from participating in multiple events each season, such as today's Engelstad Open in Grand Forks.

"I'm always looking for ways to generate interest and dollars for my foundation," said Agassi, who estimates $50 million has been raised for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy.

Bill Rapp, promoter of the Engelstad Open, visited Agassi's College Preparatory Academy recently, calling it "one of the most emotional experiences I've had in my life."

Roddick established his own foundation in 2001. He hopes his the Andy Roddick Foundation can mirror the successes of Agassi's foundation.

"His foundation is what I would like mine to be like," Roddick said. "I have no qualms about helping out when I can."

Agassi and Roddick are looking forward to bringing tennis to North Dakota, providing locals a rare opportunity to see two of the top Americans in the game today.

"There's not much for tennis out that way," Roddick said. "It's always exciting to take tennis somewhere that they don't usually see it live."

Neither Agassi nor Roddick has ever been to North Dakota.

Roddick, an Omaha, Neb., native, said his father was stationed in North Dakota "once upon a time."

With Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, as headliners, there is a belief that women's tennis has surpassed the men's game in popularity. But don't tell Roddick that.

Roddick disputes the claim, saying the men's game is at least as popular as the women's game right now.

"It's up to the players," Roddick said. "I think there could be a lot of great personalities."

Roddick and Agassi are expected to arrive in Grand Forks at 2 p.m. today. The two players played in an exhibition in Irvine, Calif., on Monday to benefit the Elton John AIDS foundation and the National AIDS fund. … The Ralph Engelstad Arena received an indoor court from California late last week. … Roddick squashed any rumor about his own reality show. "Reality TV doesn't really interest me."

superpinkone37
10-12-2004, 07:01 AM
great articles :) :kiss:

RodFan08
10-12-2004, 08:18 AM

That's the funniest picture. :haha: :Haha: That boy is too young for that:lol:

RodFan08
10-12-2004, 08:19 AM
Charity critical to Agassi

Andre Agassi established the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation hoping to help at-risk children inside and outside the classroom.

His rigorous ATP schedule never limits him from participating in multiple events each season, such as today's Engelstad Open in Grand Forks.

"I'm always looking for ways to generate interest and dollars for my foundation," said Agassi, who estimates $50 million has been raised for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy.

Bill Rapp, promoter of the Engelstad Open, visited Agassi's College Preparatory Academy recently, calling it "one of the most emotional experiences I've had in my life."

Roddick established his own foundation in 2001. He hopes his the Andy Roddick Foundation can mirror the successes of Agassi's foundation.

"His foundation is what I would like mine to be like," Roddick said. "I have no qualms about helping out when I can."

Agassi and Roddick are looking forward to bringing tennis to North Dakota, providing locals a rare opportunity to see two of the top Americans in the game today.

"There's not much for tennis out that way," Roddick said. "It's always exciting to take tennis somewhere that they don't usually see it live."

Neither Agassi nor Roddick has ever been to North Dakota.

Roddick, an Omaha, Neb., native, said his father was stationed in North Dakota "once upon a time."

With Maria Sharapova and the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, as headliners, there is a belief that women's tennis has surpassed the men's game in popularity. But don't tell Roddick that.

Roddick disputes the claim, saying the men's game is at least as popular as the women's game right now.

"It's up to the players," Roddick said. "I think there could be a lot of great personalities."

Roddick and Agassi are expected to arrive in Grand Forks at 2 p.m. today. The two players played in an exhibition in Irvine, Calif., on Monday to benefit the Elton John AIDS foundation and the National AIDS fund. … The Ralph Engelstad Arena received an indoor court from California late last week. … Roddick squashed any rumor about his own reality show. "Reality TV doesn't really interest me."

Where did u find this articel. I couldn't find any

snaillyyy
10-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the articles Deb :kiss:

Here are some pics from last night, sorry didnt have time to size :( Enjoy :)

star
10-12-2004, 02:23 PM
:(

I'm not pleased with the tummy picture. :mad:

RodFan08
10-12-2004, 02:58 PM
ditto.

What he doesn't look like he gained any weight to me

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 03:36 PM
yes he does :o

It's so great that ND is so excited about this :)
===========
PRO TENNIS: Agassi-Roddick ready to roll

Exhibition match brings two of the best in world to Grand Forks

By Kevin Fee

Herald Staff Writer

Andre Agassi feels he might be in an icy, dicey situation tonight.

He's a little nervous about facing Andy Roddick's world-record serve, especially at the home of the UND hockey team - Ralph Engelstad Arena.

"Hopefully they have something solid to put over the ice," Agassi said, "because if we're playing on top of ice, I'm not liking my chances of returning 150 mph serves."

Actually, Agassi is among the best in the world at returning serves. Roddick serves up the hardest serve in the world, recently clocked at 155 mph. So it should be an interesting matchup when the two meet at 7:30 p.m. in an exhibition match billed as The Engelstad Open.

Prior to the Agassi-Roddick match on the cushioned hardcourt that will be brought in from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Luke and Murphy Jensen will play an exhibition doubles match against a team of former University of Minnesota players, Alex Zharinov Will and Chris Wettengel.

Those involved in bringing the event to Grand Forks expect a little show but hard competition between Roddick and Agassi.

"They said they're going to have fun and play loose, but they're going to play a competitive match," said Chris Semrau, director of events for Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Roddick agrees. While it's not a crucial or serious match, he says nobody likes to lose. The Agassi-Roddick match will be the best-of-three sets.

"It's a different kind of match," Roddick said. "I'm sure we'll be able to get the crowd involved, and we'll be talking a little more."

Trash talking? It's doubtful.

"Andre and I are really good friends," Roddick said. "I wish I could give you some more controversy, but there's nothing there."

When Roddick and Agassi get together, it's usually a tight match. Both players still have things they want to accomplish this season, so Luke Murphy says he expects them to play hard. In one of the top matches of the year on the ATP Master Series in Cincinnati in August, the 34-year-old Agassi defeated the 22-year-old Roddick 7-5, 6-7, 7-6.

"If you talk to the (American) players around the locker room, they say this match I'd like to pay to see," Luke Jensen said of Agassi-Roddick.

Agassi has a 5-1 career record against Roddick.

"I got a couple of wins early on that were uneventful, ... but they've been getting tougher and tougher," Agassi said. "I broke his serve once last time we played, and he didn't break me any. The time before that, he beat me. The secret for me is to fight for my life from the first point."

Time is running out on this matchup. Agassi is approaching retirement age.

"I can see Agassi retiring at any time," Luke Murphy said.

Semrau expects to have more than 8,000 fans.

"It should be a good night," he said.

Some of the proceeds will go to Agassi's foundation. Roddick also has a foundation, which he started when he was 19.

"I've participated in events such as this one that have benefited (Agassi's) foundation," Roddick said. "His is what I would like mine to be some day. It's a lofty goal."

Roddick's father lived in North Dakota for a while.

"I've heard bits and pieces," Roddick said of North Dakota. "I was pretty excited because I know there's not much pro tennis that way, and I haven't played that way. It's always exciting to take tennis to places that don't see it that often."

=======================
========================
========================

EVENTS: Tennis, anyone?

Engelstad preps for tonight's Roddick-Agassi exhibition

By Lisa Davis

Herald Staff Writer

The Ralph is sporting a new floor at least for a day or two.

A blue (not ice blue, though) tennis floor was put down Monday in the Grand Forks arena for tonight's Engelstad Open featuring top pros Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi.

"I think it's more unique than any concert coming to Grand Forks," said Chris Semrau, director of events. "Right now, this exhibition is one of the most successful ones in the whole world, not just in ticket sales but in the caliber of players as well."

Before Agassi and Roddick take to the court in the best-of-three-sets exhibition, Luke and Murphy Jensen, known for their entertaining antics, will open play against an area doubles team in an eight-game pro set.

Semrau said the Jensens will be "miked," giving the crowd a new perspective to the game.

Crews worked Monday to install the tennis floor, which arrived in the arena in 22 crates from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Each crate keeps the sections of floor suspended so they're not squished during shipping. After the ice was melted and drained, crews worked for about five hours Monday to put the floor in place.

Chip Moreland with Vintage Contractors said the same floor also is used in the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul and, of course, in the Staples Center.

"It's similar to carpet backing with an acrylic tennis court top," Moreland said.

The out-of-bounds lines already are on the floor, so once it is in place, it's ready.

"It's just like what you see on every tennis court," Moreland said.

When the match is over, the floor will be rolled up, placed in the crates and shipped back to Los Angeles.

The Ralph also can be converted to a basketball arena and will serve as the home for conference games for men's and women's basketball.

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Sounds like it was a ton of fun :)
=========

Tennis event is a smash hit

Humor carries the day at WTT Smash Hits event, which played to overflow crowd Monday at Bren Events Center.
Rick Devereux, Daily Pilot

BREN EVENTS CENTER — If you ever get a chance to meet tennis star Andy Roddick, don't tell him his serve doesn't look that fast. You might regret it.

At the World Team Tennis Smash Hits event at the Bren Events Center Monday, a fan yelled to the world's No. 2-ranked tennis player known for his blistering serve that his serves look faster on television than in real life.

Roddick stopped the exhibition mixed doubles set he was playing with Tracey Austin against Andre Agassi and Anna Kournikova to talk with the heckler. Roddick invited the man to try to return a few of his serves.

After three heaters, Dave Slingsby reached into his pocket and waved a white handkerchief in surrender.

Such was the light mood surrounding the 12th annual charity event that raises money for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

The standing-room-only crowd of 5,167 was treated to fun, laughter and, oh yeah, some really great tennis.

"Southern California has always been great for tennis," John said. "This event started in California 12 years ago and we wanted to bring it back."

The inaugural Smash Hits was played in Los Angeles in 1993.

"If you look at the tennis champions that have played in this event," Roddick said, "it's just an honor to be here."

Agassi, Kournikova and Agassi's coach, Darren Cahill, were coached by tennis legend Billie Jean King. They faced Roddick, two-time U.S. open champion Tracy Austin and Agassi's former coach ad Roddick's current instructor, Brad Gilbert. They formed the team coached by John.

The opening celebrity set of Agassi-Kournikova against John-Roddick was easygoing, with the professionals not putting forth too much of an effort. At least not too much of an effort playing tennis.

Agassi was the clown of the court, telling Kournikova to bend over and sway more while he served. He was also playing cat-and-mouse wit the ball girl trying to retrieve a loose ball, letting her get close and then faking like he was going to pick up the ball.

After Kournikova double faulted on a serve, Agassi coached the blond Russian on the proper serving technique. Kournikova must have been too busy laughing to pick up on the instruction, because she double faulted again.

"I would like to bring this type of atmosphere to the [Association of Tennis Professionals tour]," Agassi said. "I think this reaches a new audience and brings enthusiasm to the game."

The seriousness got turned up a notch in the ensuing men's doubles set, but it only got turned up a little. Agassi-Cahill were forced to field Roddick zingers. Spectators in the first row behind the baseline were handed baseball gloves to protect themselves from the speeding serves that invariably slipped past the Agassi-Cahill defense.

During the mixed doubles of Kournikova-Cahill vs. Austin-Gilbert, Agassi was coaching his coach, yelling for Cahill to smash it. Apparently the students couldn't stand watching the teachers, because Roddick yelled for a substitute before the third game of the set.

With the top men back in the game, the women became a little feisty. Kournikova smashed consecutive balls at Roddick, prompting a plea for safety from Roddick. During an exchange of baseline shots, Austin yelled at Agassi to "Bring it on, baby." The four-time Grand Slam winner proceeded to blaze a groundstroke past her.

At one point, Agassi took off his shirt and flexed, much to the delight of females in the audience.

Kournikova was so impressed, she fanned her face with a playful smile.

It prompted Roddick to suggest the match should continue as a shirts-against-skins affair, but Kournikova did not follow her partner's striptease. :haha:

star
10-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Sounds like Andy's elbow has healed up pretty quick. :)

RodFan08
10-12-2004, 04:04 PM
I wonder if Andy took off his shirt or just lifted it up. Either way, it's funny.

tangerine_dream
10-12-2004, 04:05 PM
I didn't even notice Andy's tummy. I was too busy staring at the close-up pics of his eyes. Love those eyes. :)

Thanks Carly. :D :kiss:

Nishy
10-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Thank you for pics Carly. Love those eyes too.

Oh my god I am very excited and happy because my friend met Andy after that event yesterday!
Not only she got autograph but she talked him a little bit, gave our massage to him and she hugged him! :eek:
She said he was hotter than pics in real life. :)

snaillyyy
10-12-2004, 04:57 PM
:woohoo: WOW Nishy that is awesome :D :D

Anik
10-12-2004, 06:16 PM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-10-11/U581P6T12D1189239F44DT20041011182234.jpg http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-10-11/U354P6T12D1189154F44DT20041011155830.jpg

Nishy
10-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Yes, I experienced her pleasure vicariously. :)
She gave him my message too and one of my message that I wrote is "it would be nice to have the expert who helps technical side like volley and backhand".

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
LOL Amanda!! You're so cute!!!!!

Hey Nishy, did your friend say who won any of the matches? ;) That's great she had so much fun and that Andy was so nice - I agree that he's cuter in person than in pics :D

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 06:48 PM
LOL Amanda!! You're so cute!!!!!

Hey Nishy, did your friend say who won any of the matches? ;) That's great she had so much fun and that Andy was so nice - I agree that he's cuter in person than in pics :D

Nishy
10-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Deb, she hasn't told anything about the match yet because she was so excited about meeting him. :)

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 07:16 PM
that's ok, I found it myself :p
==========
Team Billie Jean King defeats Team Elton at 12th annual World TeamTennis Smash Hits

October 12, 2004 - Andre Agassi defeated Andy Roddick 5-2 in the final set of singles in front of a capacity crowd of 5,167 at the Bren Center on the University of California Irvine campus to lead Team Billie Jean King to a 17-12 win over Team Elton John at the 12th annual World TeamTennis Smash Hits. The annual charity event, hosted by longtime friends Billie Jean King and Elton John, was part of two days of activities including an Enduring Vision concert with Elton John and live auction that raised more than $1.5 million for the Elton John AIDS Foundation and the National AIDS Fund.
The evening of tennis was capped off by an exciting singles event between Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick. Playing for Team Elton, Roddick won the first set, 5-2. Agassi rebounded in the second set to seal the victory for Team Billie Jean with a 5-2 win.

The festivities began with a celebrity match which paired Sir Elton John and Roddick against Agassi and Anna Kournikova. Kournikova and Agassi outlasted John and Roddick in a tiebreaker, 3-2 (3). Two-time Olympic gold medalist Julie Foudy served as the celebrity ballgirl for the opening match. Prior to the match, King presented Foudy with a shirt signed by all the Smash Hits players.

In other matches Agassi and his coach, Darren Cahill defeated Roddick and his coach Brad Gilbert in men’s doubles action, 5-2. In mixed doubles, Agassi teamed with Kournikova to defeat Roddick and tennis legend Tracy Austin, 5-3. Roddick and Agassi substituted for their coaches Gilbert and Cahill midway through the match.

In addition to contributing their time to the event, many of tennis’ top names also contributed to the final tally by offering one-of-a-kind auction items at Sunday evening’s Enduring Vision event. Lunch with Kournikova sold for $16,000 while Roddick auctioned off two half hour tennis lessons at $20,000 each. King raised nearly $50,000 with donations of her U.S. Open and Wimbledon tickets. The biggest bids of the evening were three private dinners with Elton John at one of his homes for $100,000 each.

Established in 1992, the Elton John AIDS Foundation is an international non-profit organization funding prevention education and direct patient care services for men, women and children living with or at risk of HIV / AIDS. From 1992-2004, the Foundation has funded more than 2,417 in grants in North America. To date, the Elton John AIDS Foundation has distributed over $50 million to fund HIV / AIDS programs around the world. Since its inception, Smash Hits has raised more than $5 million for the Foundation.

Nishy
10-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the article, Deb.

Jennay
10-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the articles and pictures everyone :banana:

I love Andy's eyes too, Tangy ;) :hearts:

zoltan83
10-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks for articles and pictures everybody :)

andyroxmysox12191
10-12-2004, 11:05 PM
:kiss: thanks for all the pics and articles! and andy...lose the fat! :ras:
some of those pics....:haha: worthy and :eek: worthy lol

Deboogle!.
10-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Live Report from Andy in Grand Forks, ND

10/12/2004 --

Andy, moments ago, called from his cell phone to report on his charity tour. He said, “It was real cool that Elton dedicated ‘Rocket Man” to me.” Approximately 5,000 were in attendance where Andy and Andre split sets – they only played two. With plenty of wise cracks from both players, everyone had a great time.

Attendance is expected to be 8,000 at the Englestad Open this evening. Andy had just landed in Grand Forks and was very impressed to be received by a welcoming committee - a large welcoming committee.

Andy’s only other comment was “Go Astros!”

Check back often for the latest here on andyroddick.com

Golfnduck
10-13-2004, 01:11 AM

LMFAO!!!! :lol: :haha: :bigcry: :rolls:

MisterQ
10-13-2004, 02:12 AM
LOL! that kid's family needs to frame that one and put it on the mantle. :lol:

Golfnduck
10-13-2004, 03:50 AM
Well, I think the 15 minutes just ran up. What a good 15 minutes though :worship:

Havok
10-13-2004, 05:06 AM
http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-10-12T051248Z_01_IRV14D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

So many mixed emotions, but what a lucky fuck Andy is. Better have liked it:p nice picture though

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Considering when Andre took his shirt off he asked if Andre's partner (Anna) could do the same, I'd say he enjoyed it ;);)

His hair though... it's really getting obnoxiously long in the back :o

Havok
10-13-2004, 05:21 AM
My hair in the back is sort of long.:)

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 05:27 AM
Your hair is far superior to Andy's, Naldo. We've been over this already!

Andy :ras: can't even beat Andre in an exhibition :rolleyes: I don't see how with that scoreline Andy could've been broken twice (unless he broke too) but whatever. Get your ass to Madrid, fool!
-----------
Agassi defeats Roddick in exhibition match

Associated Press

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - In an atmosphere that more closely resembled a rock concert, Andre Agassi defeated Andy Roddick 6-4, 7-6, (8-6) in a tennis exhibition at the Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Agassi and Roddick exchanged hard shots and quips with each other and a crowd estimated at 8,000.

Despite being 34 years old and near retirement, Agassi is still rated 17th in the world. Roddick, 22, is ranked second in the world. But the veteran made fewer errors and broke Roddick's serve twice to take the match.

Some proceeds from the match will benefit Agassi's tennis school for disadvantaged children.

superpinkone37
10-13-2004, 05:49 AM
geez, look like andy didnt win any of his exhibition matches....i mean, it doesnt matter, but out of what, four matches, and twice against andre, you think he could have done better. i bet it was cuz anna was on the sidelines ......

but i dont mind andy's hair. its kinda cute :) even though its getting kinda long...

superpinkone37
10-13-2004, 05:51 AM
btw, i have a reputation beyond repute...cool
i just noticed it, but i dunno if ive had that for a while or not ;)

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 05:59 AM
well technically last night they played two WTT sets and they split them. so last night was a tie ;) Tonight was a regular best of 3 setter and Andre won in straights :rolleyes: but yea, come on Andy :ras: get all that losing out of your system, then GET YOUR ASS TO MADRID.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 06:04 AM
I LOVE THIS PIC!!!!!! It's my new av, I called it :nerner:
http://new.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/full/2004101313-roddick.jpg

Roddick silences heckler
By Mike Cummings,The Forum
Published Wednesday, October 13, 2004

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick have traveled the world four corners of the world. Prior to Monday, they had never set foot on North Dakota soil.

The two former Grand Slam winners met in a three-set exhibition match Tuesday evening at Ralph Engelstad Arena in a charity event dubbed the Engelstad Open.

While both players concurred that Grand Forks likely won’t be a future stop on the ATP tour, both said they enjoyed their brief stay in the Red River Valley.

“For the few hours we’ve been here, we’ve enjoyed Grand Forks so much,” Agassi said.

“This has been one of the most incredible places I’ve been.”

His counterpart agreed.

“I don’t recall many places where the people are as nice as here,” Roddick said. “That ovation that they gave us at the beginning really gave me goose bumps.”

For the thousands in attendance Tuesday, there will be very little argument about what they will remember most about the event.

Midway through the third game, Roddick caught wind of a college-aged fan heckling him. Apparently, the fan boasted that Roddick’s serve “looks faster on tv” and that he could return it.

The current No. 2-ranked men’s player in the world invited the heckler onto the court to have a swing at his world-famous serve.

“I’ve heard people say that before,” Roddick said. “So I said, ‘alright, we’ll have a little fun with it.’”

Despite the encouragement from Agassi, who jokingly asking the fan “Are you nuts?”, and a hockey helmet, the heckler swung and missed at three consecutive 140-mph serves by Roddick. The fan’s effort, however, garnered a standing ovation from the crowd and a handshake from the 2003 U.S. Open winner.

“Hopefully, it made for a good laugh,” Roddick said. “I thanked him for being a good sport about it.”

Roddick, despite a 223-71 career singles record, has had his problems with Agassi throughout his playing days. The elder tennis star owns a 5-1 career-record over Roddick.

Tuesday night was more of the same as the 1992 Wimbledon champion found a way to neutralize the big serve, winning in straight sets 6-4, 7-6 (8-6).

“Andre is probably the best-ever at adapting to new surfaces,” Roddick said. “I think at the end of the night the most important thing was the money raised for Andre’s Foundation.”

A portion of the proceeds from the event benefited Agassi’s Foundation, the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy in Las Vegas. The school, which was founded in 2001, is designed to assist socio-economically challenged youth prepare for college.

superpinkone37
10-13-2004, 06:13 AM
awww thats a great picture!!! and great articles :) man i wish i was there.... :(

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 06:17 AM
aww me too Danielle! and LMAO amanda!!!!!!!!!!

Here's an updated AP article.... Andy's making excuses for losing an exhibition :sobbing: Maybe he'll get it into his head that he needs to get to Madrid EARLY *hint hint*
=========

Agassi defeats Roddick in exhibition match

Associated Press

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - In an atmosphere that more closely resembled a rock concert, Andre Agassi defeated Andy Roddick 6-4, 7-6, (8-6) in a tennis exhibition at the Ralph Engelstad Arena Tuesday.

Agassi and Roddick exchanged hard shots and quips with each other and a crowd estimated at 8,000.

Despite being 34 years old and near retirement, Agassi is still rated 17th in the world. Roddick, 22, is ranked second in the world. But the veteran made fewer errors and broke Roddick's serve twice to take the match.

Some proceeds from the match will benefit Agassi's tennis school for disadvantaged children.

Most of the crowd was rooting for Agassi, although young women were vocal in their support of Roddick.

The players did some clowning, which included bringing a heckler onto the court for an unsuccessful attempt at returning Roddick's serve. But at the end of each set, the play turned serious.

"It's hard to avoid being competitive," Agassi said. "You always play to beat the other guy."

Roddick labeled his play "here and there," saying he had difficulty adjusting to a fast surface after the two played on a slow surface a night earlier in California.

The two have met in several similar exhibitions. Agassi owns a 5-1 advantage in tournament matches.

Agassi said he was surprised by the turnout of fans in Grand Forks.

"I was hoping tennis wasn't too foreign to the people here," he said. "But their welcoming ovation lifted us up. And they had more tennis knowledge than I thought they'd have."

MisterQ
10-13-2004, 01:44 PM
anymore articles?

:banana:

MisterQ
10-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Here's another article (can't seem to cut and paste it):

Grand Forks Herald (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/9903962.htm)

MisterQ
10-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Posted on Wed, Oct. 13, 2004

Agassi comes out on top

By Brad E. Schlossman
Herald Staff Writer

It may seem absurd to choose to return Andy Roddick's 150 mph serve.

But when Andre Agassi won the coin toss before Tuesday's match at Ralph Engelstad Arena, he chose to return.

Maybe he knew something about the blue court surface that Roddick didn't. Or maybe he just had that much confidence in his return game.

Either way, Agassi was right. He broke Roddick twice in two sets on his way to a 6-4 7-6(8-6) win in the match dubbed as the Engelstad Open.

"Andy's serve is arguably the best serve the game has ever seen," Agassi said. "It makes me feel that much better when I break it."

The match, which benefited Agassi's children's charity, featured a little bit of everything. The relaxed atmosphere featured quite a bit of dialogue between the players and the crowd and comments to each other.

There also were some serious serves and forehands, as some fans found out first hand.

Two rows of courtside seats were set up right behind the court. The people sitting in the seats found themselves on their toes every time Roddick wound up to hit a serve. One fan wasn't scared, though.

Early in the first set, before Roddick was getting ready to serve, Matt Bydal of Grand Forks yelled out "I can return it!"

Roddick heard the comment, immediately stopped, and brought Bydal down to the court to give him a try at it.

Roddick gave him three chances to return his serve, but Bydal didn't stand a chance.

"My self confidence was high after serving to that guy," Roddick said. "But then Andre had to come back on the court."

While Agassi didn't break out one of his between-the-legs shots, he did have several flashy highlights. He hit a vicious swinging forehand volley at the net, attempted swinging volleys from the baseline and drilled some passing shots on balls it didn't look like he could get to.

Roddick broke Agassi to force a second-set tiebreaker, much to the delight of the fans. But after staving off four match points, Roddick finally bowed out when he left a short ball that Agassi pounded down the line with a forehand.

"How great is North Dakota by the way?" Agassi said to the crowd after the match. "This is one of the greatest arena's I've ever played in."

Roddick heard, "I love you" all night from adoring girls, and even a male in the crowd. After the match he said, "It gave me goose bumps."

The Jensen brothers, Luke and Murphy, played the opening match against a former University of Minnesota doubles team, Alex Zharniov Will and Chris Wetterngel. The ex-Gophers came out wearing the jerseys of former Gopher and Grand Forks Red River hockey standout Grant Potulny. The Jensens, who lost the 8-game proset 8-6, came out wearing Sioux jerseys. Murphy Jensen played the entire match in a hockey helmet.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/9903963.htm

star
10-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Roddick heard, "I love you" all night from a male in the crowd. After the match he said, "It gave me goose bumps."

MORE PROOF!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Andy is missing Mardy!

star
10-13-2004, 02:26 PM

"I was hoping tennis wasn't too foreign to the people here," he said. "But their welcoming ovation lifted us up. And they had more tennis knowledge than I thought they'd have."

:nerner: :nerner: :nerner:

Yeah, Andre. They even have cable and sattelite t.v........... not to mention running water. :p

tangerine_dream
10-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Roddick heard, "I love you" all night from a male in the crowd. After the match he said, "It gave me goose bumps."
MORE PROOF!!!!!!!!! Andy is missing Mardy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, Andre. They even have cable and sattelite t.v........... not to mention running water.

:haha: star, uh, skwerl ;)

Thanks for the articles, Deb and Q, loved them. :yeah:

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 03:34 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! here you go, Q, more articles LMAO

So ANDRE is going to Madrid today.... huh Andy when are you getting your lazy ass there? :o
========

THE ENGELSTAD OPEN: Holding court

Tennis icons Agassi, Roddick bring out the youth in fans of all ages

Duddy Weisser ran up the stairs like he was in his youth tennis days Tuesday afternoon at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Andre Agassi, the men's tennis icon, was getting away.

As Agassi was in the concourse area heading for the exits, Weisser caught him. The Grand Forks Central boys tennis coach wanted Agassi to sign a pair of tennis shorts his mother bought for him prior to his teen years.

Agassi used to wear the model. Ever the gentleman, Agassi obliged and signed the shorts. Weisser said his mother would be pleased.

Weisser was pleased, too.

Local tennis leaders - young and old - were giddy Tuesday, as two of the best professionals in the world came to Grand Forks to put on an exhibition at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Agassi and Andy Roddick both are ranked in the top 10 in the world. Each has won a Grand Slam event.

Weisser caught Agassi in the afternoon, before his match against Roddick.

Agassi made many act like young fans. Even Terry Paukert, a former high school tennis star himself and a high school tennis coach for more than 30 years, could hardly believe Agassi was in Grand Forks, N.D.

"He said 'hi' to me," Paukert said only half jokingly of meeting a legend.

More than 8,000 people came to watch Roddick and Agassi at the tennis match, which Agassi won 6-4, 7-6(8-6).

But some didn't even have to go to the event to catch a glimpse of the stars. Andy Roddick dropped in on a popular Grand Forks restaurant Tuesday.

The first thing Roddick said when he was asked about Grand Forks was this: "I did get to the Red Pepper, and had a helluva sandwich."

Folks at the Red Pepper said Roddick ordered a half a ham grinder with taco meat.

How much did Roddick like the sandwich?

"Before he left, he wanted to get another one to go," said Max Weisser, the brother of Duddy and a former Central tennis player who works at the Pepper.

Max Weisser said he and another employee recognized Roddick. Otherwise, he said, "Nobody really noticed him."

By the time Roddick left, word had gotten around.

Agassi spent Tuesday night at the Hilton Garden Inn in Grand Forks. Roddick flew out of town Tuesday night because he had a prior commitment. Agassi flies out of Grand Forks today for a tournament in Madrid, Spain.

In the afternoon at REA, Agassi met with UND women's tennis players in the stands. Agassi was told that the women's team members would be ball boys for the event.

"So if they whip it over your head, don't get too mad," said Tom Wynne, UND coach.

Agassi told the Sioux players: "Watch out for Andy's serve."

Roddick, of course, has the world record with a 155 mph serve. Asked if he thought one might see the 156 mph mark at the REA, Agassi said:

"I hope you don't, because I know it's not going to be coming from my racket."

A radar gun wasn't on hand to clock Roddick's serve Tuesday night on the makeshift REA court. But Jackie Reede, an Aberdeen, S.D., resident who attended the match, says Roddick's serves had some heat.

Reede was sitting in the front row, directly behind where the serves of Agassi and Roddick sometimes left the court, mostly on aces. All that stood between Reede and a fastball from Roddick's racket was a 3-foot curtain.

"It was pretty intense," Reede said. "I did get hit in the left shoulder. It had a little sting to it."

Her husband, Nathan Reede, said: "It was definitely a good seat, but it was a dangerous seat."

Agassi was impressed by the $100 million-plus building, which was built by the late Ralph Engelstad, who owned and operated a casino and hotel in Las Vegas.

Agassi lives in Las Vegas with his wife, Steffi Graf, and their two children.

"It seems quite extraordinary, something the university should be very proud of," Agassi said of the arena that is home to UND hockey. "I wish we had this in Las Vegas."

Grand Forks might rival Las Vegas for stargazing Monday and today.

Tonight, the Minnesota Timberwolves will meet the Milwaukee Bucks in an exhibition game at the Alerus Center.

We go from Agassi and Roddick to the reigning NBA MVP, Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, and his supporting cast, all in a 24-hour period.

Stars from A (Andre and Andy) to KG.

Now that's entertainment.

http://www.grandforks.com/images/grandforks/grandforksherald/9904/98089581448.jpg

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 03:35 PM
A tennis fan's dream

GF man gets to play Roddick; local students get to be 'ball boys'

By Lisa Davis

Herald Staff Writer

One Grand Forks resident learned not to run off his mouth Tuesday night - but then again, maybe not.

His comments likely made him the envy of just about everyone who attended the Engelstad Open match between tennis superstars Andy Roddick and Andre Agassi in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Matt Bydal called out to Roddick, bragging he could return one of Roddick's serves.

Roddick stopped to listen for a moment, and then motioned for Bydal to come out on the floor.

Looking a little flustered when Roddick beckoned, Bydal walked down the steps and onto the court.

The crowd of about 8,000 roared as Bydal was given a helmet and a little advice from Agassi.

Roddick showed him just how hard it is - Bydal did his best, but wasn't able to return any of Roddick's serves.

After he made his way off the court, Bydal, who admitted he doesn't play much tennis, said Roddick was "pretty impressive."

He also admitted he was happy to have the helmet.

Bydal said he probably wouldn't call out any more during the rest of the exhibition.

Ball duty

Bydal wasn't the only Grand Forks resident to see the players up close Tuesday.

Several local students had the role of being ball boys and girls, too.

Liza Wischer was one of those ball girls out on the floor.

She stood calmly waiting for the balls with her long hair tied back in a ponytail.

The sophomore tennis player from Grand Forks Red River High School began playing tennis at age seven at the urging of her parents.

Over the years, she fell in love with the sport. Now at age 16, she travels all year playing national tournaments.

She said traveling doesn't compare to seeing Agassi and Roddick up close and personal, and admitted she was a little nervous about her duties.

But after being out during the opening match with the Jensen brothers, she said she felt a little more confident about her role.

"I think making them laugh helped us," she said. Even so, she had a hard time believing how good the players were.

"When you're that close it feels like you're in the match," she said.

So when Agassi and Roddick came on - she said it was even more unbelievable.

"It's just amazing how hard they serve," she said. "It was scary when they served on my side."

Wischer is the daughter of Jane and Brian Wischer.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Great Show in Grand Forks

10/13/2004 --

Andy and Andre Agassi dazzled a packed house of 9,500 at the Ralph Engelstad Arena last night in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Spectators came from as far away as Montana, Canada, and Minneapolis-St. Paul to see world class tennis, support charity, and have a lot of fun.

Governor of North Dakota, John Hoeven, opened and closed the evening’s festivities beginning with the Jensens doubles match followed by Andy and Andre in a professional exhibition filled with laser shots and bullet serves. Andre won the first set 6-4 and squeezed out the second set tiebreaker 7-6 to win the match.

Andy brought the crowd into full participation after someone shouted from the stands, “Your serve isn’t so fast!” The next thing this person knew, he was on the court with a hockey helmet on with Andy saying, “Return these!” and then proceeded to hit three rocket serves at his helmeted opponent, who reportedly is still looking for those tennis balls.

Andre addressed the crowd thanking Andy for helping raise funds for his charity and assuring Andy he would gladly return the favor. That is good news for Andy and great news for all the fans who want to see these two great players compete.

Andy’s customary busy schedule had him hustling to the airport to fly to Bristol, CT. to tape a commercial for ESPN Sports Center on Wednesday.

Check back for updates on Andy’s activities.

Havok
10-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Cool shoes. Andy should be leaving Tomorrow for Madrid, he's got nothing left to do after today right? That's enough time.:)

Mihret
10-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Hi everyone.

I am new here. There's a transcript of a chat with Andy on the ESPN website but it is only available to members.
Can anybody help me out?

andyroxmysox12191
10-13-2004, 08:30 PM
:wavey: welcome mihert!!! the transcript is in the chit chat thread i think :)

snaillyyy
10-13-2004, 08:39 PM
:wavey: Hi Mihret!! Welcome, yep mani :kiss: is right the transcript is in several posts in the chit chat thread

Mihret
10-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the info and for welcoming me.
I'm going in the chit chat thread now.

zoltan83
10-13-2004, 11:04 PM
:wavey: Hi Mihret.

Deboogle!.
10-13-2004, 11:16 PM
thanks for the info Brad :rolleyes:
======
10.13.2004 - A couple nights ago I went down to Irvine and played in BJK's and the Elton John's "Smash Hits" charity event that benefits the Elton John Aids foundation. It's always nice to play in exo's and do your part for charity. I'm very proud of both Andy and Andre for their commitment to charitable causes. The only disappointment of the evening was the way I played doubles with Andy against Andre and Darren. I let my guy down. I had trouble seeing the ball and could not hit a thing; simply put my game was in the toilet and I got flushed. I was a meat hook at Sam the butchers. I felt the same way that any 3.0 - 4.5 player feels when they're playing in the club championships. I was struggling and not feeling it. I thought that Andy and Andre's singles match was of extremely high quality for an exhibition match and the boys put on a great show for the sold out stadium.

superpinkone37
10-14-2004, 01:29 AM

:nerner: :nerner: :nerner:

Yeah, Andre. They even have cable and sattelite t.v........... not to mention running water. :p

hahahaha star, or uh, skwerl, whatever you are calling yourself these days ;)

oh and now brad is making excuses too? lol. but thanks for all the great articles Deb and Q :) :kiss:

heya
10-15-2004, 11:30 PM
LA TIMES

Tennis event is a smash hit
Humor carries the day at WTT Smash Hits event, which played to overflow crowd Monday at Bren Events Center.
Rick Devereux
Daily Pilot

October 12, 2004

BREN EVENTS CENTER — If you ever get a chance to meet tennis star Andy Roddick, don't tell him his serve doesn't look that fast. You might regret it.

At the World Team Tennis Smash Hits event at the Bren Events Center Monday, a fan yelled to the world's No. 2-ranked tennis player known for his blistering serve that his serves look faster on television than in real life.

Roddick stopped the exhibition mixed doubles set he was playing with Tracey Austin against Andre Agassi and Anna Kournikova to talk with the heckler. Roddick invited the man to try to return a few of his serves.

After three heaters, Dave Slingsby reached into his pocket and waved a white handkerchief in surrender.

Such was the light mood surrounding the 12th annual charity event that raises money for the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

The standing-room-only crowd of 5,167 was treated to fun, laughter and, oh yeah, some really great tennis.

"Southern California has always been great for tennis," John said. "This event started in California 12 years ago and we wanted to bring it back."

The inaugural Smash Hits was played in Los Angeles in 1993.

"If you look at the tennis champions that have played in this event," Roddick said, "it's just an honor to be here."

Agassi, Kournikova and Agassi's coach, Darren Cahill, were coached by tennis legend Billie Jean King. They faced Roddick, two-time U.S. open champion Tracy Austin and Agassi's former coach ad Roddick's current instructor, Brad Gilbert. They formed the team coached by John.

The opening celebrity set of Agassi-Kournikova against John-Roddick was easygoing, with the professionals not putting forth too much of an effort. At least not too much of an effort playing tennis.

Agassi was the clown of the court, telling Kournikova to bend over and sway more while he served. He was also playing cat-and-mouse wit the ball girl trying to retrieve a loose ball, letting her get close and then faking like he was going to pick up the ball.

After Kournikova double faulted on a serve, Agassi coached the blond Russian on the proper serving technique. Kournikova must have been too busy laughing to pick up on the instruction, because she double faulted again.

"I would like to bring this type of atmosphere to the [Association of Tennis Professionals tour]," Agassi said. "I think this reaches a new audience and brings enthusiasm to the game."

The seriousness got turned up a notch in the ensuing men's doubles set, but it only got turned up a little. Agassi-Cahill were forced to field Roddick zingers. Spectators in the first row behind the baseline were handed baseball gloves to protect themselves from the speeding serves that invariably slipped past the Agassi-Cahill defense.

During the mixed doubles of Kournikova-Cahill vs. Austin-Gilbert, Agassi was coaching his coach, yelling for Cahill to smash it. Apparently the students couldn't stand watching the teachers, because Roddick yelled for a substitute before the third game of the set.

With the top men back in the game, the women became a little feisty. Kournikova smashed consecutive balls at Roddick, prompting a plea for safety from Roddick. During an exchange of baseline shots, Austin yelled at Agassi to "Bring it on, baby." The four-time Grand Slam winner proceeded to blaze a groundstroke past her.

At one point, Agassi took off his shirt and flexed, much to the delight of females in the audience.

Kournikova was so impressed, she fanned her face with a playful smile.

It prompted Roddick to suggest the match should continue as a shirts-against-skins affair, but Kournikova did not follow her partner's striptease.

Deboogle!.
10-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Roddick serve is life of tennis party

By Dave Vilhauer

American News Sports Writer

It is one of the most talked about things in the sports world today, and several spectators got an up close look at it this past week.

Andy Roddick and his famed world record 155 mile-per-hour serve were part of a tennis exhibition at the Ralph Engelstad Arena in Grand Forks this past Tuesday. Roddick was facing tennis legend Andre Agassi.

While the match was for fun, Roddick did not back off on his lethal weapon. Balls went flying all over the place and those in the baseline seats got hit more than once.

Among the spectators who felt the sting of the Roddick serve were Aberdeen residents Nate and Jackie Reede. Nate tried to catch one of the potent serves and Jackie actually got nailed in the shoulder.

"It had a little sting. I think it bounced first," said Jackie.

Nate, who was a standout player at Aberdeen Central, was not the only one who muffed a chance at catching one.

"All night I didn't see anyone who actually put a grip on it," he said.

Friendly advice: The Reedes sat close enough to carry on a conversation with the players. At one point, Nate shouted some instructions to Roddick, the number two player in the world.

"I yelled that he was going to have to serve out wide or he was going to hurt us all night long," Nate said. "He said, 'Just for that, I'm going to come at you the entire night.' I don't know, maybe he did."

The Aberdeen couple had a fun evening and did not mind sitting in the precarious position.

"We knew that we had courtside seats," Jackie said, "but I didn't know they would be right behind the players. There was a little bit of thrill to it, but it was still fun. I would have sat there again."

Agassi knows full well what Roddick's serve looks like.

"Andy's serve is arguably the best serve the game has ever seen," Agassi said. "It's one of the few times I feel like I'm surviving out there. But you feel that much better when you break him."

Memorable moment: During the exhibition witnessed by a number of Aberdeen area residents, Roddick heard a spectator yell, "I could return that."

Roddick promptly stopped his service motion and went and got the fan out the stands to give him a chance to prove it.

"All of his buddies were getting on him a little bit, so I figured we'd have a little fun with it," Roddick said.

Agassi gave the man his racket and then watched as Roddick blasted serve after serve at the fan. Of course, the spectator did not stand a chance at returning the ball and after about five tries returned to his seat.

"Hopefully, it made for a good laugh," Roddick said. "I thanked him for being a good sport."

Later, when Luke Jensen asked Agassi what impact the fan had made in the match, Agassi joked, "It helped me with my self-confidence. After seeing that, I said, 'You know what? I'm not so bad. I kind of like me.' "

To which Roddick chimed in, "After serving to that guy, my self-confidence was high, too."

No substitute for experience: While Roddick has a huge serve, Agassi is known as the best return man in the history of tennis. He broke Roddick twice in the 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) exhibition victory.

"Andy plays the game much differently than I do," Agassi said. "I marvel at his firepower on the court."

While technology and athleticism have changed the game considerably, Agassi still finds ways to compete with the heaviest of hitters.

"I've had to become stronger and fitter and make quicker decisions out there," Agassi said. "My game has the ability to step forward on the court which has helped me a lot. I've been able to pick the ball up and not let too many people dictate what's going on."

MisterQ
10-17-2004, 03:55 PM
having struggled yesterday with a big server myself, now I REALLY don't understand how Agassi can return Roddick's serves so well. :worship:

Deboogle!.
10-17-2004, 03:57 PM
why don't you just give him a call and ask? ;)

MisterQ
10-17-2004, 03:59 PM
good idea, Deb. :lol: :yeah:

star
10-17-2004, 04:16 PM
having struggled yesterday with a big server myself, now I REALLY don't understand how Agassi can return Roddick's serves so well. :worship:

How did it go, Q?

MisterQ
10-17-2004, 04:19 PM
The other guy won 7-5, 6-4. But I had to work hard on my service games, and the only chance I had of breaking him was if he had 3 double faults in a game. :lol:

I'm just not used to facing such a big server. I'm sure it will get easier. We're playing again on Monday. In other areas of our games, I feel like we match up nicely. :)

star
10-17-2004, 04:20 PM
That's really a pretty good scoreline. You must feel encouraged. :)

Deboogle!.
10-17-2004, 04:22 PM
Yea that scoreline is not bad at all!

You'll win the next one I'm sure of it. Just think like AA ;) :bounce:

zoltan83
10-17-2004, 10:09 PM
The other guy won 7-5, 6-4. But I had to work hard on my service games, and the only chance I had of breaking him was if he had 3 double faults in a game. :lol:

I'm just not used to facing such a big server. I'm sure it will get easier. We're playing again on Monday. In other areas of our games, I feel like we match up nicely. :)

The score is nice. You can compete with him in others areas of the game. ;)
And if you play more often against him, your return will become better (even if he'll always do some aces).

Bad that you don't live in Belgium, I would play against you (and giving you some practise for your return lol).

Deboogle!.
10-18-2004, 03:31 PM
This is from the UC Irvine newspaper :)
------

A Smash Hit at the Bren
It was a fun-filled night at the Bren as top tennis players competed at the WTT All-Star Smash Hits.
by: Marissa Botello
Staff Writer

On Oct. 11, World TeamTennis hit the Bren Events Center for its 12th annual All-Star Smash Hits. The event, benefitting the Elton John Aids Foundation, included a star-studded lineup of professional tennis players hosted by Billie Jean King and Sir Elton John.

The WTT has traveled across the country for over a decade and finally decided to make it’s mark in Irvine, Calif. John commented that a reason they decided to come to Irvine was because “Southern California’s always been good for support for tennis,” and because the Newport Beach Breakers won the WTT Pro League this year.

The night proved to be a success. The Bren was packed not only with tennis admirers, students and families, but with a great tennis game and lighthearted fun.

Andre Agassi, who has become a regular in the event the last few years, likes “to see a lot more involvement with the fans.”

This is one of those events where there is interaction between the players and the crowd, which is uncharacteristic of sporting events. But Agassi also feels that the event is also about bringing “tennis to places who don’t see this level [of play] ... It’s a great way to expose it.”

Before the event, a silent auction of sports memorabilia, including an autographed picture of Anna Kournikova and an autographed piano chair from John, were ready for bids.

Andy Roddick, Tracy Austin, Billie Jean King and John made brief appearances at the auction to greet the crowd and answer a few questions. Afterwards, the Bren began to fill up for the highly anticipated event.

The occasion was marked by the traditional competition between two coed teams. Team Billie Jean King included Agassi, Agassi’s current coach Darren Cahill and Kournikova; team Sir Elton John was made up of Roddick, Roddick’s own coach Brad Gilbert and Austin.

First, there was a celebrity match with John and Roddick versus Agassi and Kournikova. The tennis rules were also tweaked a little for the event. The match proved to be a warm-up for both the players and the crowd.

“I’m living a fantasy tonight by being on the court,” John said.

It was the only time he would play for the night and he performed well considering the company he was in. Team Elton won the match, but the score would not count toward the final team score.

Next, in one of three matches which would count toward the final score, was the men’s doubles. It featured Roddick and Gilbert against Agassi and Cahill. It ended with Agassi and Cahill taking the match to put Team Billie in the lead.

Next was the mixed doubles match. The players let loose and had fun with each other and the fans. Gilbert and Austin started out against Cahill and Kournikova, but the score once again started to go towards Team Billie. Agassi came in to substitute for Cahill and Roddick followed his lead by substituting for Gilbert.

Agassi was poking fun at Kournikova regarding all the attention she was receiving from the male audience members, but that’s not to say that Agassi didn’t have a lot of female fans rooting him on.

At one point he even took off his shirt to take some of the limelight away from Kournikova and everyone loved it.

Roddick also got into the action by showing off his dance moves at one point and imitating the way Kournikova yells after she hits a ball back to her opponent. :haha:

But after everyone calmed down and got back into the game, not even Roddick’s dance moves were enough to overtake Agassi and Kournikova who won the match and kept Team Billie in the lead.

The final match was two sets of play from men’s singles players Roddick and Agassi. This powerhouse match-up proved to be one of the night’s highlights as fans gasped with amazement and clapped in admiration for the competitors.

During the match, one fan even yelled a comment at Roddick saying that his serve looks faster on TV. Roddick answered by getting the fan to come down to the floor and receive a few of Roddick’s lightning serves.

Agassi lent the fan his racket, which was his only form of protection against Roddick’s 135 mph serves. It was entertaining and both Rodick and the audience member were good sports about it.

Roddick was making a good comeback for Team Elton and won the first set, but in the second set it was Agassi who took a commanding lead and went on to win the match.

Overall, the final score for both teams was 12-17, with another win for Billie’s team, making it three years in a row and the seventh overall win during the event’s 12 year history.

It was a memorable night for tennis fans and players who, in the end, all helped a good cause, the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

MisterQ
10-18-2004, 03:56 PM
The score is nice. You can compete with him in others areas of the game. ;)
And if you play more often against him, your return will become better (even if he'll always do some aces).

Bad that you don't live in Belgium, I would play against you (and giving you some practise for your return lol).

thanks

Yes, it is too bad that I don't live in Belgium. :sad: But I will continue to go to the Belgian beer pub* in your honor. :drink: ;)

*Belgian beer pub is endorsed by the Roddick Training Regimen

star
10-18-2004, 03:58 PM
At first I thought that was Roddick Training Penguin.

Jiat is getting to me! :lol:

Havok
10-18-2004, 07:01 PM
:haha: Andy immitated Anna's porn-grunts.

zoltan83
10-18-2004, 07:45 PM
thanks

Yes, it is too bad that I don't live in Belgium. :sad: But I will continue to go to the Belgian beer pub* in your honor. :drink: ;)

*Belgian beer pub is endorsed by the Roddick Training Regimen

It's too bad that all people here don't live in Belgium. :sad:

Great for the belgian beer :drink: :D I'll drink beer thinking to you playing tennis.:drink:

superpinkone37
10-19-2004, 01:09 AM
thanks for the article deb :)

smucav
11-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Andy contributed a recipe to Star Palate: Celebrity Cookbook For A Cure (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0971908451/qid=1101696781/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-2081302-4951037?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Tami Agassi (Andre's sister); the proceeds of the book will go to breast and ovarian cancer research.

Andre & Tami discussed the cookbook on Today (NBC) on Tuesday, November 24th & mentioned Andy:

ANN CURRY: And Andre's recipe is for herb-roasted turkey. Now, I understand that you're very competitive in the kitchen as well as on the court, so how would you compare your--your recipe with Andy Roddick's, Andre?

ANDRE AGASSI: Oh, the--the only thing he does better than me is eat. So, you know, he c--he'll--he'll--but, no, I take a lot of pride in it, no question. I'm a man of process, so I do enjoy the--the cooking adventure, and we've had a lot of fun, sort of experiment with many different things as a family on these occasions such as Thanksgiving coming up.

I posted the whole transcript here if you're interested:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=940891#post940891

star
11-29-2004, 03:23 AM
Thanks! :hatoff:

Andre might think about the serve. I think Andy might have him there. But... yeah... I'm sure Andy's got him beat on the scarfing down front. Andre addressed his eating issues long ago. :)

Deboogle!.
11-29-2004, 03:30 AM
wait a second.... Andy contributed "Filet de Boeuf Bearnaise"

I absolutely refuse to believe he is capable of making that :haha: :haha: :haha: DYING.

Golfnduck
11-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Andy cooks!!! :eek: Wonder if its edible??

Deboogle!.
11-29-2004, 03:41 AM
I bet it's better than Venus's "Dump Chili" :haha:

and why do I doubt that Anna actually makes and eats "Ukrainian Borscht" much. then there's always Tom Jones's "Faggots & Mushy Peas w/Mint"

Hell I don't think there's one thing in the whole damn cookbook I'd want to eat :rolls:

Golfnduck
11-29-2004, 03:45 AM
Anything made by Venus needs to be discarded immediately. I wouldn't touch anything made by Venus or Serena. Serena has good taste :rolleyes:

superpinkone37
11-29-2004, 04:57 AM
wait a second.... Andy contributed "Filet de Boeuf Bearnaise"

I absolutely refuse to believe he is capable of making that :haha: :haha: :haha: DYING.

:haha: :haha: :haha: i seriously doubt he is able to make that :lol: but i have no doubt in my mind that andy wins the eating contest hands down :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-29-2004, 05:01 AM
Oh, I just turned on the Food Network for the end of Emeril and Andre's sister was the guest tonight! that's kinda funny that we were talking about this today lol

LOL Danielle, I don't doubt it either.. :smash:

star
11-29-2004, 05:04 AM
Grrrr. My avatar isn't showing up.

Deboogle!.
11-29-2004, 05:13 AM
yes it is. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are they? Candy?

star
11-29-2004, 05:21 AM
Yeah. It's Pim Pim candy. :)

superpinkone37
11-29-2004, 05:23 AM
LOL!! :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-29-2004, 05:26 AM
:lol: Very cute :)

Deboogle!.
12-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Might as well bump this with all the appearances coming up....

interesting, Andy's event is going to be done by a big promotion company
------------

Millennium National Events Signs Three-Year Deal to Produce Andy Roddick Foundation Charity Tennis Event at the Polo Club in Boca Raton, Florida

* World Team Tennis Exhibition Features Andy Roddick, John McEnroe, Anna
Kournikova, Chris Evert and Others

* Sold Out Events Benefit Local Children's Charities

DELRAY BEACH, Fla., Dec. 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Millennium National
Events (OTC Pink Sheets: MNEI) today announced it has signed a three-year deal
to produce the Andy Roddick Foundation Charity Tennis events, which will be
held at the world-renowned Polo Club in Boca Raton, Florida.
Tennis superstar Andy Roddick, currently ranked No. 2 in the world and the
2003 U.S. Open champion, hosts the events, which include a pro-celebrity world
team tennis exhibition, featuring tennis greats and other celebrities. John
McEnroe, Anna Kournikova, Chris Evert, Brenda Schultz, Aaron Krickstein,
Sebastien Grosjean, and Brad Gilbert, Olympic volleyball superstar Logan Tom
and Hollywood actress and former Miss USA, Ali Landry are scheduled to appear
at the sold out 2004 event, which will be held on Sunday, December 12, 2004.
In just its fourth year, more than $800,000 has been raised to date for
local children's charities.
"Millennium's strength exists in its ability to produce diverse events in
all arenas and under any circumstance," said Mitchell Steinberg, chairman and
COO of Millennium National Events. "Working with Andy Roddick on this
tournament enhances our position as a major player in the field of
professional sports. It adds to the growing list of events we take part in,
including the 'Millennium International Tennis Championships' and the
'Indianapolis 500.'
"Working with the Andy Roddick Foundation also allows us to fulfill on one
of the fundamental organizing principals of Millennium National Events --
raising money for worthy causes through special events."

Deboogle!.
12-12-2004, 02:57 AM
hey, anyone got a spare $22,500 lying around???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4510713854

superpinkone37
12-12-2004, 03:32 AM
haha i saw that earlier. unfortunately, i made a big purchase this morning and my spare $22,500 is gone. (: ;)

Nishy
12-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Does anyone know whether Andy participate in Brian Vahaly's charity event on 9th?

http://www.brianvahaly.com/bffmain.asp

^Sue^
12-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Andy will definitely participate...He loves Charity.

Deboogle!.
12-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know whether Andy participate in Brian Vahaly's charity event on 9th?

http://www.brianvahaly.com/bffmain.asp

Yea I believe he was there. He's always helped his buddy Brian with his charity, I think I read Brian once said that Andy really helped him get it off the ground in the first place. Guess we'll find out when pics surface :)

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 02:02 AM
Pics from Andy's event today are starting to be posted at Getty. looks like it was held outside this year. There's a nice pic of his behind :p but I Guess I can't post them here... so.... yeah.

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 02:21 AM
Very nice pic of Andy's behind. I'm waiting for some of the formal pictures, hopefully his shoes were nice and normal for a change.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 02:23 AM
that part happened last night, right? There might only be pics of that on his site. I don't remember getty or anyone having pics of that last year

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 02:28 AM
Getty just has images of Andy playing tennis. I was hoping for pictures from last night. :sad:

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 02:31 AM
yeah, I looked through their pics of last year, too, and they only have pictures of the tennis part. The only place I remember seeing pics from the actual party/dinner/auction thing was on Andy's site.

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 02:34 AM
Well, those pictures won't be up for awhile since andyroddick.com is slow to put things up.

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 02:35 AM
Yea...

nothing we can do about that I guess lmao

RodFan08
12-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Wait I haven't been here for a little while. We can't post from getty? I thought that we came to the conclusion that it was not a big deal if we did

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 05:24 AM
um. Wow.
-------------
Roddick's heroes: Kids have a fan in him
By Karen Crouse

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, December 13, 2004

BOCA RATON — The e-mail arrived the usual way, Jeff Sterlacci having googled Andy Roddick and found, amid the plethora of fervid fan blogs, the tennis player's Web site.

Sterlacci's son Andrew had rubbed rackets with Roddick a few months earlier at a kids event before the 2003 U.S. Open, which Roddick went on to win for his first Grand Slam title.

Seeing Roddick up-close had a profound effect on the then-10-year-old. Andrew Sterlacci decided he wanted to be like Roddick when he grew up. He started trying to copy the Boca Raton resident's groundstrokes and mannerisms.

Then in April, Andrew Sterlacci's future was rear-ended. He and his father were in a horrific car accident near the family's Long Island home. Andrew was airlifted to a hospital, where he lay in a coma.

His mother, Carol, sat at his bedside and talked for hours on end about familiar things, picking up the fragments of his fractured memory and piecing them together into something she hoped Andrew might respond to or recognize.

A few days into her vigil she mentioned that the principal of Andrew's school wanted Andrew to get better so they could play a tennis match. What Carol heard next drowned out all her doubts.

"Out of nowhere Andrew said, 'I don't want to play him. I want to play Andy Roddick,' " Carol Sterlacci recalled Sunday. It was the first complete sentence Andrew had spoken since the accident.

Jeff Sterlacci relayed this story to Roddick's mother, Blanche, whose e-mail address he found listed in the area of the Web site dedicated to The Andy Roddick Foundation. He wrote that Andrew was relearning how to speak and as part of his speech therapy was reading from the story about Roddick ushering fellow guests to safety during a hotel fire in Italy.

Blanche Roddick phoned Andy and read him the e-mail. By the time she reached the final period, they were both in tears.

Some athletes get so caught up in the act of acquiring — titles, records, millions, mansions, women — they never stop to ask life's essential question: What's my purpose? Roddick is the rare 22-year-old who has the answer aced.

Andrew Sterlacci would have his wish granted — and then some. Sterlacci, 11, was flown in from New York with his parents and two younger sisters as guests of Roddick's foundation for the charity's fourth gala weekend.

On Saturday evening, in the middle of a black-tie affair that started before 6 o'clock and went on past midnight, Roddick pulled Andrew aside for a one-on-one conversation. On Court 19 the following afternoon, Sterlacci, using the right arm that was broken in the accident, returned three of Roddick's serves.

His doctors wondered whether he'd ever walk again, but there Sterlacci was Sunday, walking in the clouds. The smile he flashed afterward could thaw Franco-American relations. "That was really cool," he said.

Alex Smith, 12, was the first lay person to step in against Roddick, who hit a serve this year that was clocked at 155 mph. Smith has been exchanging e-mails and phone calls with Roddick for more than a year, so returning one of Roddick's serves seemed like the next logical step.

Smith is a natural right-hander but had to learn how to play as a lefty after he lost his right hand in September 2003 in a boating accident on Lake Austin. After the accident, Smith's tennis coach e-mailed Blanche Roddick, who phoned Andy. It was another one of those calls that ended in sniffles.

Next thing Smith knew, his favorite tennis player in the whole wide world was paying him a visit at the hospital.

"My mom had told me he might come but not to get my hopes up," Smith said. "She told me people like that don't always show up. But Andy came and he stayed for 45 minutes. He gave me his e-mail address and his cellphone number. When I e-mail him, 95 percent of the time he e-mails me back within 48 hours. He's just very inspiring. Now, when I see him play, it just makes me want to go hit, whether it's against a garage door or with my coach."

Who's inspiring whom? "Alex is not a kid, he's a little man," Roddick said. "He's so polite. He's so well-spoken. You meet him and your heart melts. You just want to take him home."

Among the items auctioned off Saturday after dinner were two tickets to a post-Oscar party that's being thrown by one of Roddick's pals, Sir Elton John, in February in L.A.. Sir Elton may be the greatest entertainer of his era but Garrett Starr, a 4-year-old cancer victim whom Roddick befriended while playing in a tournament in Memphis, stole the show Saturday.

Earlier in the evening, Starr walked out to the dance floor to surprise Roddick in an emotional reunion.

In the summer of 2003, when tumors were discovered in Starr's brain and spinal column, his prognosis was grim. Doctors gave him a 10 percent chance of survival. They seriously doubted he'd ever be ambulatory.

In July, after watching Roddick play Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final on TV, Starr and his mom, Melissa, were shopping. Starr saw a tennis racket and begged his mom to buy him one. Soon thereafter, his doctors proclaimed him cancer-free.

Roddick cried when he saw Starr toddle toward him. It was the first time he has teared up in public since winning the U.S. Open.

"I had never seen him walk," Roddick said.

You should see Garrett hit a tennis ball, Melissa Starr said. She was beaming.

The people who say the best thing about being the No. 2-ranked player in the world is making friends with famous people, not to mention a tidy fortune, are articulating their own values, not Roddick's.

Ask Roddick and he'll tell you, the most rewarding thing about his sporting life is that it has enabled the youngest child of Blanche and Jerry to be a big brother of sorts. The kids Roddick can reach through tennis — and now his foundation — have much to teach him, he said, about goodness and grace, heroism and hope.

"You don't feel like you deserve their attention," Roddick said. "It's really, really, really weird for me, but it's come to be the most gratifying part of it."

star
12-13-2004, 05:30 AM
awwwwwwwwww

snaillyyy
12-13-2004, 05:34 AM
Beat me too it Deb ;) , I just finished reading that article. You know how much I love Karen's stories :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but this one is definetly the exception ....WOW really says it all!

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 05:34 AM
Yea well Karen surely has a flair for exaggeration, but it's sweet even if you take it with a grain of salt lol

superpinkone37
12-13-2004, 05:44 AM
all i can say is.... awwwwwwwwwwwwwww
and yeah, normally i just have to roll my eyes at Karen's articles, but this one is really sweet.

brazuca5copas
12-13-2004, 11:09 AM
The Fourth Annual Andy Roddick Charity Weekend
12 Dec 2004

star
12-13-2004, 01:24 PM
no words

Nice av. :yeah:

Deboogle!.
12-13-2004, 02:38 PM
Roddick and friends entertain thousands

Published Monday, December 13, 2004 at 1:00 am
by Hannon Deutsch

Andy Roddick’s fast rise to the top of the ATP tour has made him one of the most sought after athletes in professional sports.
But it’s not what he accomplishes on the court that matters as much as what Roddick does off it.
In 2001, a year after turning pro, the Andy Roddick Foundation was formed. Roddick’s pro-celebrity annual event is an umbrella that feeds numerous children’s charities.
But it wasn’t until he had a conversation with Andre Aggassi until he realized how much he could do for other people.
“I was on a plane flight with Andre Aggassi when I was 17 and I was pretty much scared to say anything, him being one of my idols and all,” said the Boca Raton native. “I asked him what his biggest regret was and I was expecting him to say something tennis related. And he said he didn’t start his children’s foundation early enough. So, the next year we started mine and now we’re in our fourth year. I just didn’t want to look back and have the same regret as he did.”
Roddick’s foundation had raised $1.5 million to date, including $850,000 from this year alone. The fourth annual charity event was held at the Polo Club this weekend and featured a pro-celebrity exhibition that included John McEnroe, Chris Evert, Sebastien Grosjean, Anna Kournikova Aaron Krickstein and Jeff Conine, among others.
Roddick and McEnroe, two of the greatest players ever to pick up a tennis racquet, treated 2,400 people to a classic match. There weren’t any signature jarring matches between McEnroe and the umpire (Conine) or whining about calls. Instead, the three-time Wimbledon champ fell with class to Roddick 6-4 in a match where both players were competing to win for a good cause.
To Roddick, the match was a small part of a bigger picture.
“There’s a bigger picture than me and McEnroe trying to beat each other here this weekend,” said Roddick, who is currently ranked No. 2 in the world. “It’s pretty nice when you have players of this caliber coming out on a favor trying to help. It’s pretty cool.”
McEnroe shared the same sentiments but went on to say athletes should give back to the community because it is the right thing to do. When fame and celebrity hits it is easy to lose touch with the meaningful things in life.
“This is my first time here but hopefully not the last,” said McEnroe, who has won 17 Grand Slam championships. “When you have gotten as much from the sport as I have you want to keep yourself in touch with the real world. I think a good way to do that is to help kids that are struggling. It makes you appreciate what you have by giving something back.”
Although Kournikova didn’t take part in a tennis match, she played with the children in the kid’s zone and signed autographs. Roddick and other athletes have inspired Kournikova to use her name for a good cause.
“It’s something that I am connected to and wanted to do for a long time,” she said. “I started working with the Boys and Girls Club this year in Miami. It was great to come out here for this particular cause.”

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/08/17/97/image_1197178.jpg

k-rod83
12-13-2004, 04:41 PM
that artical about the kids has just had me in tears....lol...im such a softie

Golfnduck
12-13-2004, 04:49 PM
That article had me in tears too. :sad:

Jennay
12-13-2004, 10:00 PM
That article definitely tered me up. Thanks, Deb :)

Anik
12-14-2004, 01:09 AM
http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-12-13/U581P6T12D1298978F44DT20041213155350.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-12-13/U581P6T12D1298977F44DT20041213155344.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-12-13/U581P6T12D1298974F44DT20041213155138.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-12-13/U581P6T12D1298973F44DT20041213155132.jpg

http://image2.sina.com.cn/ty/t/p/2004-12-13/U581P6T12D1298955F44DT20041213154252.jpg

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 01:12 AM
Thanks as always, Anik! how'd you get them without the tag;)

superpinkone37
12-14-2004, 01:39 AM
thanks again for the pictures!! :kiss:

snaillyyy
12-14-2004, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the pics!!! :hug:

Havok
12-14-2004, 03:25 AM
Anna.:hearts:

Deboogle!.
12-14-2004, 03:39 AM
She looked really pretty, Naldo... go to Getty and search for her name and you'll find the other ones :) Too bad she didn't actually play, though. Would've been kinda cool to have "the young ones vs. the old ones" with Andy and Anna playing Chrissy and Johnny or something ;)

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 05:26 AM
Stars Celebrate Andy Roddick Charity Weekend!
By Staff
2004-12-15
It was a packed house at Andy’s Fourth Annual Charity Weekend hosted by the Polo Club Boca Raton last Saturday and Sunday. In addition to thousands of terrific fans and a “sold-out” crowd, Andy also received help from many celebrity friends to help raise money for children in need. Tennis Celebrities included Anna Kournikova, John McEnroe, Chris Evert, Sebastien Grosjean, Aaron Krickstein, and Brenda Schultz. Other celebrities included Ali Landry-actress and former Miss USA, Jeff Conine-Florida Marlin and World Series Champion baseball player, Darcy Hordichuk-Florida Panther left wing ice hockey player, and Logan Tom-Olympic and professional volleyball player.

On Saturday evening, the Polo Club served a gourmet surf and turf dinner, while the Pure Energy Live Band rocked the night away. The Dinner was spectacular with dancing, auctions and raffles throughout the evening. Oscar tickets to Elton John’s private party raised over $20,000 alone. A day with Ali Landry was a live auction “to die for” and went to a lucky thirteen girl from New Jersey. Deluxe baskets from Hollywood Baskets were donated by stars including Cindy Crawford, Donna Summer, Sharon Stone, Vanessa Williams and Shania Twain. All items received record breaking bids and earned more than $800,000 for the 2004 weekend.

The $10,000 cash prize was won by Scott Walkawitz of Boca Raton, who purchased a single ticket of the 300 limited for sale. After winning the cash prize, Scott dropped to his knees and slid the entire length of the dance floor in the sheer enjoyment of winning $10,000.

The weekend continued on Sunday with a free kid’s day of 300 children sponsored by MSE Events and USTA Florida. The bounce house was a favorite for Anna Kournikova. Andy enjoyed the rock climbing wall and 52 foot obstacle course. Sebastien Grosjean brought his two children, Lola and Tom. Chris Evert came with her son, Colton and Brenda Schultz came with 13 of her tennis students.

The tennis exhibition featured John McEnroe in a singles match against Andy with Jeff Conine, the famous Florida Marlin as the umpire. Andy won the set 6-4 and the “sold out” capacity crowd was thrilled. The evening finished with 40 lucky players who paid $100 each for three chances to return Andy’s world record serve.

The weekend was best summarized by an email from an avid fan to ar.com…She said the celebrities were awesome, the stadium was packed, the tennis was terrific, and the weather unbelievable…in other words, PERFECT!

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/news/1940image.jpg

Whatup86
12-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the article.Boy, it sure sounds like they had a great weekend. If only I lived a little closer to Florida!.

avocadoe
12-16-2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the Karen aritcle (a vvv nice side of Andy) and thanks for the pics. I wonder if Anna is really married :) Her Mexican wedding stated and denied in yesterday and todays paper here.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Well at the pics from Andy's charity thing she is wearing a very wedding-ring-looking-thing on her left ring finger :)

Havok
12-16-2004, 05:04 PM
I already checked out all the Anna pics at google.;) and :eek: I didn't know Andy was capable of getting that many stars to donate things and to show up to his even. Nice stuff.

k-rod83
12-16-2004, 06:42 PM
the dude who won the $10,000- scot walkwitz.......isnt that one of andys freinds he lived with in boca..im sure i reckonise the name name from an andy artical.

heya
12-17-2004, 03:56 AM
The people who say the best thing about being the No. 2-ranked player in the world is making friends with famous people, not to mention a tidy fortune, are articulating their own values, not Roddick's. :bowdown:

Ask Roddick and he'll tell you, the most rewarding thing about his sporting life is that it has enabled the youngest child of Blanche and Jerry to be a big brother of sorts. The kids Roddick can reach through tennis — and now his foundation — have much to teach him, he said, about goodness and grace, heroism and hope.

Andy:worship:
Tennischick can visit Andy's charity.
While Agassi hears that his charity's the best, I wouldn't ignore Andy's contributions.

Deboogle!.
12-17-2004, 05:34 AM
:haha: are any of these people identifiable?

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/139_YMCA2004ARF.jpg

superpinkone37
12-17-2004, 06:39 AM
:haha: are any of these people identifiable?

http://www.andyroddick.com/images/gallery/139_YMCA2004ARF.jpg

:haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
01-06-2005, 06:40 PM
a nice collage of pics from Brian Vahaly's event :D

http://www.brianvahaly.com/images/imagez.jpg

Tytta!.
01-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Really cute pics... But they could put the pics themselves instead of a collage :smash:

snaillyyy
01-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks Deb :D :D looked like a fun time and of course Andy looks good :p

Deboogle!.
01-06-2005, 06:59 PM
He looks GREAT in the suit :yeah:

Havok
01-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Boring suit.:yawn: Looks like you'll find that suit on a grandpa.

Deboogle!.
01-06-2005, 09:41 PM
I'd rather it be boring than hideous like that crap thing he wore to the ESPYs. I think he looks :drool:

Havok
01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
That hideous crap thisn at the ESPY's was better than this.:p Just minus those loafers, that ugly goatee, and wearing his shirt better.;)

Deboogle!.
01-06-2005, 09:56 PM
But that's the point - he looked AWFUL at the ESPYs... he looks good here, even if the suit is boring.

snaillyyy
01-06-2005, 09:57 PM
I think he looks good in the suit :D I cant remember the ESPY one cause I still to this day havn't got past the loafers :eek:

andyroxmysox12191
01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I like Andy in the suit :drool: Also the dude next to Brian as Deb pointed out is hot as well :hearts:

Golfnduck
01-06-2005, 11:48 PM
I think he looks good in the suit :D I cant remember the ESPY one cause I still to this day havn't got past the loafers :eek:
He does look good in the suit. I don't think any of us have gotten past the loafers. What the hell was he thinking? :confused:

Tytta!.
01-07-2005, 12:04 AM
The problem is: he wasn't thinking :lol: :smash:

superpinkone37
01-07-2005, 02:33 AM
thanks for pictures Deb :kiss: nice suit...it may be boring, but he does look very nice :drool:

Golfnduck
01-07-2005, 02:56 AM
The problem is: he wasn't thinking :lol: :smash:
That is true. Or he picked out his shoes in the dark.

Deboogle!.
01-09-2005, 08:24 PM
like a bajillion and one more pics of Brian Vahaly's charity thing

http://imagezfoto.com/gallery/ProAm

Deboogle!.
01-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Some of these are really funny!! Look in the autographs gallery, it's a melange of "how many different ways can we photograph Andy signing stuff for people" :haha:

:eek: Andy's cheating on Mardy with Brian!!!!
http://imagezfoto.com/gallery_albums/album16/Gala0098.jpg

Poor girl, could he BE any more bored? :lol:
http://imagezfoto.com/gallery_albums/album16/Gala0104.jpg

I didn't realize the cute middle school dance style was still popular :haha: Isn't Andy a little old for that ;)
http://imagezfoto.com/gallery_albums/album16/Gala0107.jpg

Golfnduck
01-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I didn't realize the cute middle school dance style was still popular :haha: Isn't Andy a little old for that ;)
LOL!!!! I guess they still use that dance style at fundraisers :shrug:

aceit
01-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Poor Mardy. :sad: :lol:

I would dance with Andy any style he wants to. ;)

superpinkone37
01-09-2005, 09:43 PM
gotta love his face in this picture lol
http://imagezfoto.com/gallery_albums/album12/B_A0010.jpg

snaillyyy
01-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the pics Deb & Danielle :D So many to laugh at :haha:

andyroxmysox12191
01-10-2005, 12:41 AM
:haha: Holy crap thanks guys :kiss: That was great to laugh at
:eek: How could he cheat?!?!?!? :fiery:

smucav
01-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Andy Roddick's ace appeal
11jan05

TENNIS star Andy Roddick may have one of the world's fastest serves, but he sent over a few easy ones yesterday to help tsunami victims.

Roddick, in town for the Australian Open, faced 12 junior tennis players in a special fundraising event.
For each serve they returned, sportswear giant Reebok donated $250 to Care Australia.

The event raised $10,000 for the charity's tsunami appeal. Roddick said some of the young players had great returns.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11906748%255E2862,00.html

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,408790,00.jpg

Jennay
01-10-2005, 05:19 PM
11jan05

TENNIS star Andy Roddick may have one of the world's fastest serves, but he sent over a few easy ones yesterday to help tsunami victims.

Roddick, in town for the Australian Open, faced 12 junior tennis players in a special fundraising event.
For each serve they returned, sportswear giant Reebok donated $250 to Care Australia.

The event raised $10,000 for the charity's tsunami appeal. Roddick said some of the young players had great returns.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11906748%255E2862,00.html

:yeah:

MissFairy
01-10-2005, 05:21 PM
11jan05

thats brilliant of andy, yay
boy they musta been good at returning, maybe he slowed it down in the interest of raising more monies...i'd do that (i dont need to slow my serve down, its barely moving thru the air)

Deboogle!.
01-10-2005, 08:49 PM
That's great, Andy :) But please throw away the sunglasses :scared:

MissFairy
01-10-2005, 09:04 PM
yeah the sunnies remind of a robot or something...he looks sweet surrounded by kids, hes a peoples person :) :)

snaillyyy
01-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Very cool, but alien Andy needs to go away :eek: those glasses must go!!

andyroxmysox12191
01-10-2005, 10:24 PM
wtf is with the glasses :sobbing:

heya
01-10-2005, 11:44 PM
It's a charity, people! Andy isn't there to model. The kids like him a lot. How many kids adore other players?????

superpinkone37
01-11-2005, 12:05 AM
those are the girly man glasses...at least theyre not the red bug eyed ones :p

aceit
01-11-2005, 12:09 AM
The sunglasses simply make me laugh. :lol:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 06:42 AM
I forget who asked about this... but... it's now official I guess. I hate you Andy.
========

Serving for Tsunami Relief Fund
Kournikova, Roddick will play to raise money
By DALE ROBERTSON
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Jim McIngvale and Jim Courier had been conversing about putting on a senior event at McIngvale's Westside Tennis Club next November. But, for the moment, that has become a backburner matter because of McIngvale's role in raising money for the Bush-Clinton Tsunami Disaster Relief Fund.

On Jan. 31, McIngvale and Courier, through the latter's new production company, InsideOut Sports & Entertainment, will put on the Serving for Tsunami Relief tennis exhibition at 7 p.m. at Toyota Center.

Courier, a former top-ranked American, is among the players who have committed to participate. Joining him will be Andy Roddick, John McEnroe, Chris Evert and Anna Kournikova. Courier will be on site twisting arms at the Australian Open the next two weeks soliciting participants.

"It was a very easy decision," Courier said in a statement. "As soon as Jim mentioned the idea, I was in."

McIngvale reports that Roddick, the current top-ranked American, told him he would be part of the talent mix "even if he's in the Australian Open final" the previous day. A number of celebrities are expected to join in as well. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:

Tickets will be priced from $20 to $150 with 100 percent of the proceeds going to the Bush-Clinton fund, which McIngvale chairs in Houston. The Toyota Center, operated by the Rockets, offered what McIngvale called a "significant" discount to host its first tennis competition since opening in the fall of 2003.

"There's going to be some very high-caliber tennis," McIngvale said. "We'll have some singles, some doubles, some of everything — just great family entertainment."

RoddickBabe10
01-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Andy...

darnyelb
01-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Wow, that's awfully.... brave of him.

I realize it's for charity and all and that it's Roddick's choice, but organizers need to stop relying on him so much.

When is Andy scheduled for his 1st post-AO tournament?

aceit
01-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Joining him will be Andy Roddick, John McEnroe, Chris Evert and Anna Kournikova.
Dearest Andy, do you see something different with your name and the other 3? Well, heres some help... 2 of them are long retired and one of them is, well, she's Anna and alteast she isn't playing at the moment on the WTA tour. I see that he is trying to help out but PLEASE, not during the AO. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Wow, that's awfully.... brave of him.

I realize it's for charity and all and that it's Roddick's choice, but organizers need to stop relying on him so much.

When is Andy scheduled for his 1st post-AO tournament?

Brave is a nice euphemism for.... STUPID, IDIOTIC, MORONIC, RIDICULOUS... not to mention I'm not even sure if it'd be mathematically logistically possible to play the AO final in the evening in Australia and then take the (extremely long) flight to Houston at 7pm or soon thereafter. Someone would have to do the math. But, he has to make the AO Final first and based on his ankle issue and the fact that he was staying back and not coming to net on Rebound Ace, I don't quite see that happening anyway :o

He has a week off after the AO where he is scheduled to do one exhibition with Mardy on Feb. 3 (in Austin), then he plays San Jose, where he's defending champion. the starting date on that is Feb 7.

Mack, especially, needs to stop relying on Andy - I agree with ya darnyelb... especially since Andy is like physically incapable of saying no to that man.

smucav
01-15-2005, 06:08 PM
not to mention I'm not even sure if it'd be mathematically logistically possible to play the AO final in the evening in Australia and then take the (extremely long) flight to Houston at 7pm or soon thereafter. Someone would have to do the math. One could leave Melbourne as late as noon on Monday, January 31 (local time) and arrive in Houston around 4:30 p.m. (local time) Monday since you gain back 17 hours. It's about 18 hours of actual flying--21 & 1/2 hours with connections.

Deboogle!.
01-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Ok so it's technically, mathematically, logistically possible. That does not make it any less STUPID :)

aceit
01-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok so it's technically, mathematically, logistically possible. That does not make it any less STUPID :)
Hopefully there will be no pizzas on those long flights. :p

Deboogle!.
01-23-2005, 04:35 PM
:eek:

Elton John to Star at Andy Roddick Charity Benefit
By Staff
2005-01-23
Music superstar, Elton John, will join tennis superstar, Andy Roddick at the 2005 “Champions for Charity” Gala and Auction that will be held on Tuesday, April 26th at the Four Seasons Hotel Austin. All proceeds donated through The Andy Roddick Foundation will benefit local children in need including The Settlement Home, Austin Children’s Hospital and A Glimmer of Hope Foundation.

Andy Roddick, will host the evening’s festivities that will include cocktails, an intimate dinner and auction, and a solo performance by Elton John in the Four Seasons Ballroom for just 380 guests. Arriving with his signature red grand piano, Elton will sing some of the world’s most popular songs in an evening destined to be the “hottest ticket in Texas.”

Table sponsorships range from $10,000-$50,000 and are currently available. They include premier seating and a VIP reception with Andy Roddick, the 2003 US Open Champion and currently ranked number two in the world in tennis. Celebrity friends expected to join Andy and Elton include former Miss USA and current actress, Ali Landry, super model, Cindy Crawford and legendary singer, Donna Summer.

Reserved tickets are limited and will go on sale beginning March 1st at $750 per person.

According to Blanche Roddick, chairman of The Andy Roddick Foundation, Andy is extremely involved in charitable activities and has raised more than $1.3 million dollars in just four years for sick, abused and neglected children.

For Sponsorship Opportunities and More Information contact The Andy Roddick Foundation at 561-392-2652 or 561-706-6776 or visit www.andyroddick.com or www.arfoundation.org.

Carito_90
01-23-2005, 05:00 PM
$750 per person? :retard:

Oh well... Go Elton :)

Deboogle!.
01-24-2005, 06:57 AM
More on the thing in Houston
-------------
None of Andre Agassi's many fans and friends in Houston would dream of rooting against their man when he faces Roger Federer in the Australian Open quarterfinals, but ...

Should Agassi lose, there's a chance — a good chance, some surmise — that he will participate in the Serving for Tsunami Relief event at Toyota Center on Jan. 31. He and Jim McIngvale, who is ramrodding the event to raise money for the Bush-Clinton relief fund, are buddies and Agassi wasn't able to participate in the U.S. Clay Courts or the Masters Cup at McIngvale's Westside Tennis Club last year.

For the moment, Andy Roddick and John McEnroe are slated to play a singles exhibition, but, should Andre show up, he'd play Roddick and McEnroe would likely just play mixed doubles opposite Jim Courier, whose new production company is putting on the event gratis. Anna Kournikova and Chris Evert have also signed on.

Because Courier is obligated to help broadcast the first night final in Melbourne for Australian television, he'll be in transit for more than 20 hours Monday en route to Houston, arriving just in time to grab his rackets and head to Toyota Center. Should Roddick make the final, he'll be on the flight with Courier.

"It's not even worth mentioning," Courier says of the arduous trip, "not when you consider what we're raising money for."

MisterQ
01-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Poor girl, could he BE any more bored? :lol:
http://imagezfoto.com/gallery_albums/album16/Gala0104.jpg

Poor Andy. They're playing Stairway to Heaven. ;)

MisterQ
01-24-2005, 07:10 AM

That won't give him time to swim in the Yarra river. :sad:

smucav
01-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Dent Faces Roddick In Grand Slam Jam (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12330&bannerregion=)

Havok
01-27-2005, 01:38 AM
Go home Andre, you always steal Kournikova away from Andy.:fiery:

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Some news from the event tonight in houston... there are pics around but I can't find any of Andy :( :ras:

Edit: aha I found a pic :p
-----------------
Lighthearted action brings relief in serious cause
Over $500,000 raised as 8,193 see tennis event

By DALE ROBERTSON

If the purpose couldn't have been more serious, the action was decidedly less so. Goose-and-giggle tennis is what they played at the Toyota Center on Monday night.

But Andy Roddick got himself a victory, which he needed even if it came with a whole lot of silliness attached, and so did Houston, which came through in typically generous fashion on behalf of the Bush-Clinton Fund for Tsunami Relief.

"Give yourselves a hand," announcer Wayne Bryan told the crowd. "You people are unbelievable."

Coming off a disappointing semifinal loss to Lleyton Hewitt in the Australian Open, then having to battle gridlock to get to the arena, Roddick put on a happy face nonetheless and defeated Tommy Haas 7-6 (6) in the evening's feature. The German Haas had, of course, beaten him at Westside Tennis Club last April in the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships final. (Good to know he still can win tiebreaks against good players.... IN EXHIBITIONS :o)

The official turnstile count for the Serving for Tsunami Relief exhibition was 8,193 and, although there appeared to be a significant number of no-shows on a cold, wet night, the event proved a rousing financial success on behalf of the millions of people affected by the giant tidal wave that devastated vast coastal regions of Asia and Africa the last week of December.

One "fan" who insisted upon annonymity paid $250,000 for his 50 seats. Even Super Bowl tickets a year ago weren't selling for five grand apiece. :eek:

The total take, including on-site donations, was $518,952, presented in the form of a giant check to the city's first sports fan, former President George H.W. Bush. Some $2,944 was collected by students at the KIPP Academy, a local charter school.

The United States Tennis Association sent an additional $25,000.

The players, for their part, accepted no compensation for participating, and the NBA Rockets provided the arena rent-free, save for the cost of staffing. It was the first time tennis had been played in the downtown venue, which opened in the fall of 2003. The upper deck was curtained off, the same as for Aeros hockey games.

"Everything's going very smoothly except for the fact that I just lost to a guy who has more gray hair than my father," a jet-lagged Jim Courier, whose production company staged the event, said after losing 6-4 to McEnroe, 12 years his senior, in the opening Champions singles match.

In the celebrity mixed doubles, TV shrink and best-selling author Dr. Phil (McGraw) teamed with Anna Kournikova to defeat former University of Houston and NBA legend Clyde Drexler and his partner, Chris Evert 6-4. Admonished for losing to a psychologist by announcer Wayne Bryan, Drexler had a response.

"The ball I played with," Hall-of-Famer Drexler pointed out, "was a little bigger."

Dr. Phil, however, happens to be a pretty solid player. He had also umpired the McEnroe match — without incident.

McEnroe and Kournikova paired up to defeat Roddick and Evert 4-2 in the abbreviated concluding match.

====================================
=====================================
======================================

Tennis stars help raise more than $500,000

Associated Press

HOUSTON - Andy Roddick, Tommy Haas, John McEnroe, Chris Evert and Jim Courier played a little fun tennis for a big cause Monday night, helping to raise more than $518,000 for tsunami relief.

Roddick, who lost to Lleyton Hewitt in the semifinals of the Australian Open, defeated Haas 7-6 (6) in the feature match of the event for the Bush-Clinton Fund for Tsunami Relief.

Courier, whose production company put on the event, lost 6-4 to McEnroe in the opening match.

"Everything's going very smoothly except for the fact that I just lost to a guy who has more gray hair than my father," Courier said about the loss to 45-year-old McEnroe, 12 years his senior.

The Houston Chronicle reported in its Tuesday editions that one person who insisted on anonymity paid $250,000 for 50 seats at the benefit at the Toyota Center and the United States Tennis Association contributed $25,000. Former President Bush accepted a giant check for $518,952.

Evert praised the current players who participated in the event.

"They flew all the way in from Australia for this," she said. "In my day, we never played charity events (during the season). To see Andy fly over after a very disappointing loss - I'm sure he's not very happy right now - that's really impressive." :)

"Andy Roddick gets it, and Jim Courier gets it," McEnroe said. "Tennis needs events like this, innovations, new ways to reach out to the fans. It's for a great cause, obviously, and it's also very good for the game. Jim has credibility because he has won (three Grand Slams).

"He's still young enough that the current players know him, but he's been around long enough for the older guys like myself to remember him beating up on me at the end of my career. It's a good combination, making it easy for him to reach a lot of people."

The event was to help relief efforts in south Asia where the tsunami, triggered by a massive earthquake on Dec. 26, claimed more than 178,000 lives in 11 countries.

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/05/02/01/roddick.jpg

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Coming off a disappointing semifinal loss to Lleyton Hewitt in the Australian Open, then having to battle gridlock to get to the arena, Roddick put on a happy face nonetheless and defeated Tommy Haas 7-6 (6) in the evening's feature. The German Haas had, of course, beaten him at Westside Tennis Club last April in the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships final. (Good to know he still can win tiebreaks against good players.... IN EXHIBITIONS :o)

:o That's right!

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 03:29 PM
There are a few pics at WireImage *hint to those who are members* ;)
============
With Roddick, game's future in good hands
McEnroe, Evert envision broader reach of sport with young gun at helm

By DALE ROBERTSON

Gramps and Granny looked around and pronounced it good. The kids, John McEnroe and Chris Evert agreed, are all right. Their game, tennis, appears to be in good hands.

"I can't pat myself on the back," Evert said. "I'm a retired player. But I want to pat the current players on the back. They flew all the way in from Australia for this. In my day, we never played charity events (during the season). To see Andy (Roddick) fly over after a very disappointing loss — I'm sure he's not very happy right now — that's really impressive."

Perhaps even more impressively, Australian Open semifinalist and part-time Austin resident Roddick further braved the Katy Freeway in a rainstorm to be a part of the Serving for Tsunami Relief charity event at Toyota Center Monday night. Germany's Tommy Haas, the reigning U.S. Men's Clay Court champion, joined him.

Two top salesmen
And Jim Courier, who looks young to McEnroe, brought the party together with his new InsideOut Sports & Entertainment production company and the promotional skills of Houston retailer Jim McIngvale, who sells tennis as aggressively as furniture.

"Andy Roddick gets it, and Jim Courier gets it," McEnroe said. "Tennis needs events like this, innovations, new ways to reach out to the fans. It's for a great cause, obviously, and it's also very good for the game.

"Jim has credibility because he has won (three Grand Slams). He's still young enough that the current players know him, but he's been around long enough for the older guys like myself to remember him beating up on me at the end of my career. It's a good combination, making it easy for him to reach a lot of people."

Courier arrived late Monday afternoon, having flown in directly from Melbourne, where he helped broadcast the men's final for Australian TV.

McEnroe, soon to be 46, and Evert, who turned 50 in December, won 25 Slams from 1974 to 1986, including 18 for Evert. They were on top when tennis was on top, too. Because they lament the sport's decline in the United States, damaged by years of promotional neglect and an explosion of entertainment options, they're excited to lend a hand any way they can.

All the evening's profits — $518,952 with 8,193 in attendance — will be going to the Bush-Clinton Fund to aid the victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami on Dec. 26. McIngvale is the Houston area's Bush-Clinton chairman.

McIngvale's role in the proceedings didn't go unnoticed by either McEnroe or Evert. They don't know him like Roddick and Haas have come to know him, but they've heard enough to be sufficiently impressed.

"The morning I got the call about the event," Evert said, "I went over to our tennis academy, where Andy was practicing for the Australian Open. I asked him if he knew about it. He said, 'Is Mattress Mack putting it on?' When I told him yes, he said, 'I'm there. I don't care if I make the finals. I'm flying in that day. Anything he does, I feel a responsibility to be there.' I think that's a good indication of how Andy Roddick feels."

McEnroe called McIngvale "a doer."

Losing ground to golf
"It's great to see people in our sport trying to do things, being creative, coming up with ideas to push the sport's limits and shake things up," McEnroe said. "Mattress Mack gets things done. I felt disappointed the way (the ATP) handled his situation (with the Masters Cup) here. He could have really helped the sport. He still can, actually. Look at this. He loses the Masters Cup, but gets right back on track and does something like this.

"They weren't aware of this diamond they had and they just sort of let it slip by. Hopefully that mistake won't be made again. They're looking for someone new to run the ATP (CEO Mark Miles is leaving at the end of the year) and, Lord knows, that needs to change. It's a great sport. If the proper people are running it and promoting it — guys like Mack — we'd be a lot better off."

With Miles on the way out, McEnroe says he would like to become more than a peripheral force.

"To see golf blow by tennis (in popularity) ... that hurts," he said. "When I was playing, the ratings were far higher for tennis. The players have lost some leadership, and the rules were tightened because of guys like (Jimmy) Connors and myself, and it took away the personality of the sport.

"In the process, hopefully people are recognizing this. What I'm saying is nothing new. Look at NASCAR. They're always tinkering with the rules, making improvements. We've got to change with the times, too."

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/05/02/01/andy.jpg

snaillyyy
02-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the articles Deb :kiss:

Here are the pics :D

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks! :smooch: The look on his face in the first one is a little freaky LOL

tennnisgirl7
02-01-2005, 04:55 PM
I went to this last night OMG it was totally alsome and funny

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh really? That's great! I'm sure you had lots of fun!

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Lucky you! Wanna give some more details? :p

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 04:58 PM
:lol: Deb!

We also accept pics if you got any ;) :lol:

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Go here: http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S57/sport_Lng0_Spo57.shtml

and click on the pic on the right of Johnny Mac with the racquet in his mouth. Wait about 7 seconds in.

I have no words. :sobbing:

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 06:27 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing:

aceit
02-01-2005, 08:03 PM

and click on the pic on the right of Johnny Mac with the racquet in his mouth. Wait about 7 seconds in.

Holy mother...

blosson
02-01-2005, 08:11 PM

Ha ha Andy can do strip dance!!! Andy for hire: hen nights, parties, exhibitions, etc :p

Deboogle!.
02-01-2005, 08:40 PM
thought you guys might like it :p

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
It cracked me up :sobbing:

Neely
02-01-2005, 09:36 PM
did you already see the ATP report about this charity event?
I've just discovered it on the site

rtsp://real.atptennis-global.speedera.net/real.atptennis-global/houston_tsunami.rm

seems to have been really funny ;) :rolls:
And they even showed for a few seconds Clyde Drexler playing tennis! :) :smoke: ... he should have a good serve at his height :angel: ;)
damn, I'm still missing this guy in basketball, he was cool :yeah:

tangerine_dream
02-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Well, if Andy's tennis career doesn't work out there's always Chippendales. :sobbing:

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 09:46 PM
:sobbing:

andyroxmysox12191
02-01-2005, 10:00 PM
OH MY HOLY DEATH!!!!!!!! I HAVE NO WORDS EXCEPT FOR CRIES FROM LAUGHING :haha: :sobbing: can someone get that on video so I can just keep it on my computer for future laughs :rolls:

tennnisgirl7
02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Lucky you! Wanna give some more details? :p
Well if you would like me to give more details I will. Ok yes my favorite part was when Andy was dancing :angel: And another funny thing was this real crazy guy who was sitting like 2 rows in front of us was always talking to Andy. I wish i could of talked to him. Ok well anyway one time these girls in the stands screamed "I LOVE YOU ANDY" and then Andy said "wow" and then whan Andy came over to the side we were on the crazy guy yelled "I love you to Andy" OMG that was so hilarious I still get all hyped up about it when I think about it. Well gotta Go.

Neely
02-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Well if you would like me to give more details I will. Ok yes my favorite part was when Andy was dancing :angel: And another funny thing was this real crazy guy who was sitting like 2 rows in front of us was always talking to Andy. I wish i could of talked to him. Ok well anyway one time these girls in the stands screamed "I LOVE YOU ANDY" and then Andy said "wow" and then whan Andy came over to the side we were on the crazy guy yelled "I love you to Andy" OMG that was so hilarious I still get all hyped up about it when I think about it. Well gotta Go.
LOL, that sounds like good fun and comedy! :) :D
some nice chats! :lol: ;)
:rolls: :lol:

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 10:20 PM
:lol: Thanks for the details! Sounds like lots of fun!

andyroxmysox12191
02-01-2005, 10:27 PM
:haha: sounds like fun! Wish I could go to something like that :sad:

snaillyyy
02-01-2005, 10:34 PM

*breath carole* :haha: :sobbing: :haha: :sobbing: hmmm side job Andy?!! :devil:

snaillyyy
02-01-2005, 10:42 PM
....and omg I just watched the video on ATP site too :haha: :haha:

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 10:44 PM
It cracked me up AGAIN :sobbing:

blosson
02-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Just saw the atp video too. Is that Andy singing [well, sor of singing] after his interview? He's better stick to tennis or silent strip dance only - no singing. It sounded like Scooby doo...

Tytta!.
02-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Yes it was Andy :spit: :haha:

superpinkone37
02-02-2005, 12:27 AM
um...LMFAO :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 12:28 AM
The ATP video is literally the funniest thing I've ever seen.

and thanks for the details tennnisgirl7!! :)

superpinkone37
02-02-2005, 12:40 AM
The funniest thing you have ever seen? *runs to go find video* :bolt:

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Yes. literally.

I figured it out, as I said in the 2005 pics thread - he's imitating Enrique... it makes it even FUNNIER!

Iheartandy&roger
02-02-2005, 12:45 AM
lmfao death!! that's our Andy! :D :worship: :sobbing: :haha:

superpinkone37
02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: okay I need to breath lmao, that was effing hilarious :sobbing:

Tytta!.
02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
We all need to breathe :haha:

PinkFeatherBoa
02-02-2005, 01:17 AM
We all need to breathe :haha:

True in so many ways. LMAO.

Tytta!.
02-02-2005, 01:28 AM
:sobbing:

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 02:25 AM
article from atptennis.com
========
Roddick, Haas Among Tennis Stars to Serve Up Tsunami Relief in Houston

ATP stars Andy Roddick and Tommy Haas helped Jim Courier and others raise more than $500,000 for the Bush-Clinton Tsunami Relief Fund in a special exhibition in Houston, Texas on Monday night.

Courier and his InsideOut Sports & Entertainment Group teamed up with two-time Tennis Masters Cup Houston tournament promoter Jim McIngvale to assemble a cast of current and former tennis greats along with celebrities for the fundraiser. Others participating included John McEnroe, Chris Evert, Anna Kournikova, TV celebrity Dr. Phil, NBA legend Clyde Drexler and former U.S. President George Bush.

The ATP assisted in the staging of the event through its International News Feed team, providing footage of the fundraiser throughout the world. Additionally, ATPtennis.com is featuring video highlights of the event. The ATP’s official magazine, DEUCE, also sent a writer and photographer to cover the event for its next issue, which will be on sale in late March.

“We’re all proud of the commitment toward tsunami relief efforts that the tennis community, particularly tennis players such as Andy Roddick and Tommy Haas, has demonstrated following the crisis in Southern Asia,” said ATP CEO Mark Miles. “The latest effort by all involved with Monday’s event is another shining example. I particularly applaud the efforts of Jim Courier and Jim McIngvale for organizing it, and their staffs for their exhaustive efforts over the past few weeks to make it happen.”

More than 8,000 fans attended the event. Players entertained fans with a mix of great tennis and light-hearted banter. At one point during the pro doubles, Roddick asked Kournikova: “Are you flirting with me?” The glamorous Russian, whose off-court partner is Enrique Iglesias, shot back: “That will never happen.” Not to be outdone, Roddick answered: “Is it because I can’t sing and dance?” :haha: :haha: :haha:

Items auctioned during the event included racquets donated by Agassi, McEnroe, Roddick and Kournikova; signed Roger Federer programs, t-shirt and original painting from the 2003 Tennis Masters Cup; a tennis date with Steffi Graf; and a trip to Acapulco to attend the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis (provided by Aeromexico).

Serving for Tsunami Relief Match Results
Pro Singles: Andy Roddick d. Tommy Haas 7-6(6)
Championship Singles: John McEnroe d. Jim Courier 6-4 (Dr. Phil served as Chair Umpire).
Celebrity Mixed Doubles: Anna Kournikova-Dr. Phil d. Chris Evert-Clyde Drexler 6-4
Pro Doubles: Anna Kournikova-John McEnroe d. Chris Evert-Andy Roddick 4-2

aceit
02-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks Deb.

I wish they televised it. :ras:

lizzieh
02-02-2005, 02:27 AM
great article I'm sure Deb, but as am absolutely pissed at the mo, can't make out many of the words.... but I'm sure I'll read it at some point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carito_90
02-02-2005, 05:30 AM
OH MY GOD I just watched it. I CAN'T FUCKING BREATHE :haha: :haha:
Oh god that was probably the best thing I've seen Andy do :sobbing: :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
02-02-2005, 05:49 AM
ohmygod guys, we should totally incorporate that into our sign! something like, "bailamos andy! sing and dance for us! (: "

oh my god

dead.

Carito_90
02-02-2005, 05:56 AM
manda :sobbing: you murdererer me

fangirl
02-02-2005, 06:01 AM
:haha: :haha:

That is literally the funniest thing I have ever seen.

williaer
02-02-2005, 06:15 AM
i just watched it too... the funniest thing i have EVER seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wish they had showed mcenroe's face during it! :worship: :worship:

superpinkone37
02-02-2005, 07:21 AM
ohmygod guys, we should totally incorporate that into our sign! something like, "bailamos andy! sing and dance for us! (: "

LMFAO. Haha. Yes.

zoltan83
02-02-2005, 02:36 PM
OMG OMG :sobbing: can't breathe :haha: :haha: Andy :bigcry: :bigcry: :haha:
Soo funny!!!!!!!!

andyroxmysox12191
02-02-2005, 07:59 PM
:haha: That'd be great manDa! :sobbing:

Becarina
02-02-2005, 10:13 PM
that is the funniest video! He cracks me up! :worship:

RodFan08
02-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Can someone explain why his pich is 10000000 octives to high!!!
Way to high pitched :haha: :lol:

Golfnduck
02-03-2005, 02:35 AM
that is the funniest video! He cracks me up! :worship:
Andy has some great dance moves. Very sexy *runs from Tytta*

RodFan08
02-03-2005, 02:37 AM

I like his dance from SNL better. U know during the dumb jock skit :p :lol:

aceit
02-03-2005, 02:39 AM
I like his dance from SNL better. U know during the dumb jock skit :p :lol:
That dance is great. :yeah: Like I said in another post somewhere a little which ago, I loooooooooved Andy on SNL! :)

Deboogle!.
02-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Can someone explain why his pich is 10000000 octives to high!!!
Way to high pitched :haha: :lol:

b/c he's imitating Enrique

Golfnduck
02-03-2005, 03:17 AM
Deb, where did you get the longer version of the video?

Deboogle!.
02-03-2005, 03:21 AM
What do you mean? we're talking about the one on the ATP site :confused:

Golfnduck
02-03-2005, 03:24 AM
What do you mean? we're talking about the one on the ATP site :confused:
Oh, lol! I have that one, I thought there was a longer one that was released.

Iheartandy&roger
02-03-2005, 08:39 AM
That video puts a smile on my face just thinking about it watching it is death lol omg Andy you are the apple of my eye!

Tytta!.
02-03-2005, 11:30 AM

HAAAAAAAA

So you've been talking about my husband while I'm sleeping, momma? I'm really, really disappointed :crying2:

smucav
02-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Tournament play

A surprisingly gregarious John McEnroe offered to spank the bidder with his racket if she would go as high as $ 2,500 for the autographed piece. But Brandy Concato and her husband, Nicola, guests at the VIP party preceding Monday night's "Serving for Tsunami Relief," bid a winning $ 2,600 for the racket. No spanking necessary.

The Concatos were among the $ 500 and $ 1,000 ticket-buyers invited by party hosts Linda and Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale for the meet-and-greet with the benefit's tennis heroes at Toyota Center.

"You can print this," said Mattress Mack in an upbeat mood just as the party was starting. "Anna Kournikova looks even better in person than she does on TV. She looks great!"

More than a few tennis fans were swooning as Kournikova graciously made the rounds of the private room at the Toyota Center's Red & White restaurant. She posed for photos. She signed autographs. Over and over again. Among those having photos taken with the Russian tennis pro were Lindsay Love and Christian Easterling of Morgan Stanley.

In the crowd were Kelli and Eddie Blanton, Carolyn Farb, Manfred Jachmich, and Lisa and Mike O'Leary with daughter Mary Elizabeth. The 14-year-old gleefully nabbed autographs from McEnroe, Andy Roddick, Jim Courier and Tommy Haas, all of whom did the walkabout with fans.

The former president and first lady, George and Barbara Bush, posed for organized photo ops with the VIP guests, the line of admirers hoping for that souvenir snaking through the Red & White.

After the tennis matches, Bush houseguest Chris Evert, along with Clyde Drexler, Courier and McEnroe, headed for the Whiskey in Hotel Icon.

Copyright 2005 The Houston Chronicle Publishing Company
The Houston Chronicle
February 03, 2005, Thursday 2 STAR EDITION

Deboogle!.
02-04-2005, 03:57 PM
:scratch: there's like no news or anything from the event in Austin last night. I wanna know how Andy did against Lance ;) Where's Becky to tell us about it!?

smucav
02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Tennis Channel To Air 24 Hours Of Serving For Tsunami Relief (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12400&bannerregion=)

Tennis Channel To Air 24 Hours Of Serving For Tsunami Relief
By Tennis Week
02/09/2005

The Tennis Channel and E! Entertainment Television will air special telecasts of tennis’ "Serving for Tsunami Relief" player and celebrity tournament later this month. Both networks will televise a phone number that viewers can call to make donations to the tsunami relief effort.

Match play and behind-the-scenes footage from the Houston Toyota Center will appear in a one-hour highlight show on E! Entertainment Television Thursday, February 17th at 10 p.m. Eastern followed by 24-straight hours of the full, three-hour event on The Tennis Channel, beginning Wednesday, February 23rd at 6 a.m. Eastern. Both The Tennis Channel and E! Entertainment Television will telecast the programs nationally, with E! airing it globally as well, on the E! International Network, available in over 50 countries. Each network will televise a phone number that audiences can dial to make donations to the relief effort. The Tennis Channel produced the event for both networks.

"The disaster in Southeast Asia brings into sharp focus how much we take for granted, and forces all of us to review our priorities," said Steve Bellamy, president and founder, The Tennis Channel. "The Tennis Channel is honored to be a part of the tennis community’s effort to assist the victims of this horrific event. We appreciate the cooperation from E!, and their help in spreading this message around the globe."

Organized by Jim Courier's InsideOut Sports and Entertainment, the event features former No. 1 Jim Courier and a prestigious cast of current and former tennis players including John McEnroe, Chris Evert, Andy Roddick, Tommy Haas and Anna Kournikova. In addition, Dr. Phil McGraw and Houston college and former professional basketball great Clyde Drexler participated in the event. Singles matches offer McEnroe against Courier (with McGraw serving as chair umpire) and Roddick against Haas. Doubles competition includes McGraw and Kournikova taking on Evert and Drexler, and later Roddick and Evert against McEnroe and Kournikova.

A special donation check will also be presented to former President George H.W. Bush and former first lady Barbara Bush during the evening. According to event organizer Jim McIngvale,Houston chair of the Bush-Clinton Tsunami Relief Fund, all of the proceeds from “Serving for Tsunami Relief” will go to victims of the disaster in Southeast Asia.

blosson
02-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Tennis Channel To Air 24 Hours Of Serving For Tsunami Relief (http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12400&bannerregion=)

Thanks for the article. I could not help wondering where Courier's hair ends in this picture...

Dinkie
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Just wondering, that imitation of Enrique Iglesias by Andy Roddick, wasn't that a bit rude? Andy made Enrique look like an idiot. Anna was smiling but what could she do anyway? Am I the only one not finding this imitation amusing?

MissFairy
02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
dinkie :wavey: im sure andy was just doing it in all lightheartedness, i dont think he meant any harm. him and anna seem to be good friends, and thats why he fel comfortable making that sort of joke on such a large arena, im sure anna didnt take it to heart :)

heya
02-10-2005, 12:25 PM
He's a clown in serious matches too.
Didn't you notice his award-winning tank jobs recently?! I'd give him the American Comedy Award, but I don't have his money to create a golden statue.

MissFairy
02-10-2005, 12:49 PM
:lol: heya!! dear me :hug: i think he'd take the award, fill up his trophy cabinet a bit...
but dont invite him to another award show, he might wear slippers again :rolleyes:

blosson
02-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Just wondering, that imitation of Enrique Iglesias by Andy Roddick, wasn't that a bit rude? Andy made Enrique look like an idiot. Anna was smiling but what could she do anyway? Am I the only one not finding this imitation amusing?

Enrique and Anna have been through much worse. At a MVT movie awards, Jimmy Fallon did a hilarious impersonation of Enrique with a big facial mole growing, growing and growing. Enrique and Anna were sitting in the auditorium; he was trying to hide... :p