USO Doubles [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO Doubles

MightyJurgenfan
09-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Jurgen and Petzschner have now reached the finals. They defeated Bolelli/Fognini 6-4,6-7,6-1.
I thought since they reached the finals they deserved a thread to let everyone know it.

There opponents have yet to be decided.

Sweetspot
09-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Melz/Petz played well today. Their opponents in the final w/b Frystenberg and Matkowski (who beat them in London last year)

Their match is scheduled to follow the 7 PM start of Wozniacki vs. S.Williams on Arthur Ashe

hoping for the opposite of :umbrella:

MightyJurgenfan
09-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Here in the USA it will only be shown on the USOpen streaming.
I found a wonderful video of Jurgen and Philip on ATPtennis. ATP World Tour home shows a thread with their names in the Headlines. Once you click on that you will see Watch Getting to know Melzer and Petzschner. Since I can not hear it, I just enjoyed watching them both smile a lot. I am sorry I do not know how to post it here. You will have to go find it.

RafaFan95
09-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Here`s the youtube link to the Melzer&Petzschner Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqtFsJvXUM

RafaFan95
09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
It would be so fantastic if they`d win the doubles title. Jurgen would get much confidence for the singles tour and they would play again at the ATP World Tour Final. Come on Jurgen and Petzsche!

MightyJurgenfan
09-11-2011, 04:59 AM
YAHOO!! THEY WON. It was rather easy 6-2, 6-2.
Now how long will it take to get a picture here on this thread.
it was great fun to watch them. You could see the confidence in both of them throughout the match.

MightyJurgenfan
09-11-2011, 06:49 AM
Here is a nice article from the USO.
Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner, seeded ninth, captured their first US Open title, dismissing No. 6 seeds Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski 6-2, 6-2 in 48 minutes Saturday night in the men’s doubles final. The victory gives the Austrian-German pair their second major title after they won the Wimbledon trophy last year. "From the word go, we were playing really well," assessed Melzer. "The opponents were a little bit nervous from the beginning and we fully used that to our advantage."

The No. 9 seeds were the superior team from the start. Matkowski began the match with a double fault and Melzer and Petzschner each crushed backhand return winners to earn an early break of serve. They raced to a 4-0 lead in just eight minutes, winning 16 of the first 17 points, while hitting seven winners to zero unforced errors. Matkowski held at love to get the Poles on the board, but Melzer and Petzschner kept plugging away to take the first set in 22 minutes.

Fyrstenberg and Matkowski, appearing in their first major final in 29 Grand Slam events together, began the second set with a confident service game, holding at love. But at 1-1, 30-30, Melzer showed off incredible defensive skills, returning four overheads before he and his German partner eventually won the point. Fyrstenberg subsequently tossed in a double fault to hand Melzer and Petzschner the break advantage.

The Polish tandem didn’t give up, and on their second break point opportunity of the match, Matkowski ripped a forehand return down the line on Petzschner’s serve to even the score at 2-2. But in the following game, controversy took over the match.

At 30-30, Matkowski served and volleyed and after Fyrstenberg hit a drop volley, Petzschner ran down the shot, popping it up for a high forehand volley. Matkowski smashed it but to his surprise, Petzschner’s reflexes got it back for a winner on the line… except it was his shin, not his racquet that returned the ball. Petzschner did not call it on himself and the chair umpire didn't see it. Replays clearly showed that Matkowski’s shot hit Petzschner’s leg. On the next point, Melzer struck a beautiful backhand lob to secure the break, and the tide had turned for good.

After Melzer and Petzschner held at love, the two teed off on Fyrstenberg’s serve, rocketing two returns that Fyrstenberg was unable to handle to claim a double break lead. Petzschner then served out the match at love, with Melzer carving a backhand-volley winner to clinch the title on their first championship point. "Winning another slam is an amazing feeling. We're both really happy the way it turned out," said Petzschner.

With the win, Melzer and Petzschner notched their fifth team title in five finals, and third this season after winning Rotterdam and Stuttgart. They improved to a 2-0 record against Fyrstenberg and Matkowski after winning a round robin encounter at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals last November.

The Poles were appearing in their first final of the year. Melzer and Petzschner take home $420,000 in prize money

Kworb
09-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Awesome :worship:

Just a shame Philipp had to cheat, ruins the result a little and was totally unnecessary :o

JMG
09-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Let's see if they can get all 5 big titles one day. :yeah:

I expect them to only play Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, Vienna and Paris before London. Petzschner also seems to play Metz and Stockholm in singles and when Melzer plays Beijing, Philipp probably has to play Tokyo.

MightyJurgenfan
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Kworh, Did you see the match? I have poor eye site, but it appeared to me (I maybe wrong), but the ball must have also hit his racket to have rebounded that far. I can not imagine a ball traveling that far and at that angle if it did not also hit his racket. If anyone else was watching I would like to read their opinion.

RafaFan95
09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
http://www.sportnet.at/Images/612x459/06_melzer_petzschner%281%29.jpg

Kworb
09-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Kworh, Did you see the match? I have poor eye site, but it appeared to me (I maybe wrong), but the ball must have also hit his racket to have rebounded that far. I can not imagine a ball traveling that far and at that angle if it did not also hit his racket. If anyone else was watching I would like to read their opinion.
The slow motion replay is on youtube. It did not even touch his racket, just bounced off his leg. There is no way he didn't feel that.

532c2FoGqj8

At the end of the vid is the replay.

cc2monac
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm soooooooooooooooo late but I wanted to congratulate them. What a wonderful title for them. I'm so happy