US Open 2011: :scared: :unsure: :scared: :unsure: :scared: :unsure: and so on... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open 2011: :scared: :unsure: :scared: :unsure: :scared: :unsure: and so on...

Metis
08-26-2011, 03:09 PM
:awww:

Official tournament site: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/index.html

The Draw:

[1]Djokovic vs Q
Riba vs Berlocq
Starace vs Berrer
Davydenko vs [32]Dodig

[22]Dolgopolov vs Gil
Nishikori vs Cipolla
Karlovic vs F.Gonzalez
Stakhovsky vs [13]Gasquet

[9]Berdych vs Q
Fognini vs Zeballos
Petzschner vs Ramos
Q vs [20]Tipsarevic

[31]Granollers vs Malisse
Kukushkin vs Montanes
Andujar vs Ferrero
Dimitrov vs [7]Monfils

----------------

[3]Federer vs Giraldo
Sela vs Bellucci
Q vs Tomic
Harrison vs [27]Cilic

[23]Stepanek vs Kohlschreiber
Monaco vs Seppi
Haas vs Q
Falla vs [15]Troicki

[11]Tsonga vs Lu
Haider-Maurer vs Q
Q vs Q
Nieminen vs [19]Verdasco

[29]Llodra vs Hanescu
Anderson vs Q
Q vs de Bakker
Kamke vs [8]Fish

----------------

[6]Soderling vs Qualifier
Bogomolov Jr. vs Johnson
Ginepri vs Q
Baghdatis vs [28]Isner

[18]Del Potro vs Volandri
Junqueira vs K.Beck
Garcia-Lopez vs Gimeno-Traver
Mello vs [12]Simon

[14]Wawrinka vs M.Gonzalez
Young vs Q
Tursunov vs Darcis
Matosevic vs [24]Chela

[25]F.Lopez vs Ito
Q vs Rosol
Machado vs Haase
Devvarman vs [4]Murray

----------------

[5]Ferrer vs Andreev
Blake vs Q
Rochus vs Q
Mannarino v [26]F.Mayer

[21]Roddick vs Russell
Sock vs Gicquel
Istomin vs Sweeting
Benneteau v [10]Almagro

[16]Youzhny v Gulbis
Roger-Vasselin vs Muller
Bachinger vs Kunitsyn
Prodon vs [17]Melzer

[30]Ljubicic vs Kavcic
Reynolds vs Nalbandian
Mahut vs Q
Golubev vs [2]Nadal

Castafiore
08-26-2011, 03:14 PM
:yippee:

Thanks, Metis

Full draw: Men's singles draw (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf)

espn (video) - "Nadal Ready to Defend US Open Title", interview with the McEnroe brothers (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6895310&categoryid=5595394)

Metis
08-26-2011, 03:16 PM
make your predictions!

How far will Rafa go at the USOpen? (2000 points :cheerleader: )

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Gustavo Kuerten
4th -
QF - Metis
SF - born_on_clay, Commander_Data, hat_boy, JolanGago, MariaV, Minn, rafa_maniac, Rafaaah, shawshank, Xristos
F - Bjorki
W - acionescu, Edda, Foxy, Getta, tennizen, Topspindoctor

acionescu
08-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Win :rocker2:

tennizen
08-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Win:hearts:

Metis
08-26-2011, 03:22 PM
:spit:

Getta
08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
champion

Commander Data
08-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Sf

acionescu
08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
champion

Always :worship: :worship:

Chris Kuerten
08-26-2011, 06:46 PM
3rd round

born_on_clay
08-26-2011, 08:56 PM
semis

star
08-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Looking back, I can see that where I went oh so wrong with my thread was not putting enough :scared: :unsure: s into it. :( :( :(

Minn
08-26-2011, 11:47 PM
I hope you've learned your lesson, Star.

MIT - SF. :unsure:

Edda
08-27-2011, 01:47 AM
Win-I'm thinking positive about Rafa!

Nice avatar, Star! Such cuteness!

Rafaaah
08-27-2011, 02:23 AM
I really hope he wins but I think I jinx him when I want him to win too badly!

So I'll say MIT: Semis

Xristos
08-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Sf.

!VamosRafa!
08-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I hope he reaches the SF :awww:

bettybaby
08-27-2011, 02:28 PM
oh dear this title is right on target!!!!

i'm hating that NO ONE is predicting he'll win :( not surprising i guess, but still a shame all the same. maybe he'll feel less pressure?????

idk, obviously i'd just really love to see him win:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerle ader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

and of course we'll have to see how irene effects the start of the tournament....

Ben.
08-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Decent draw for Rafa, Ferrer could be tricky if they meet in the quarters though and we know Roddick can trouble him. I'll say semi final as I expect Murray to come through and I think he will have too much for this current Rafa. Ljubo/Nalby and Melzer/Youzhny should be good early tests for him. This time last year he was in awful form too and then turned it on in New York so hopefully he can do it again.

I'm not really sure why GM has proclaimed this a cakewalk though. It seems any draw Rafa gets that isn't Davy > Nalby > Isner > DelPo > Sod or something similar must be rigged.

guga2120
08-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I see Rafa is not playing on Monday, they hopefully will not push the defending champion to wednesday.

ufiors
08-28-2011, 12:51 AM
He will not play on monday

Topspindoctor
08-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Win :rocker2:

Hopefully against Olderer in 5th set tie break :rocker2:

Castafiore
08-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Pre-tournament presser:

Rafa Nadal - 27.8.2011

www.ubitennis.com (http://www.ubitennis.com/sport/tennis/2011/08/27/570161-rafa_nadal_2011.shtml)

Q. What are your thoughts about being here during a hurricane, and how will you spend your time?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know what's going on, I think. Nobody knows exactly what's going on, no?
But having the club closed, all the places in Manhattan will be closed, so not much. Just stay in the hotel. Maybe watch some films. But we will see what's going on. I never had an experience with a hurricane. Is something new.
I think is very bad for the city, for the weekend, for everybody. But, you know, that's a new experience, and not enjoyable experience, but we know how is when is hurricane.

Q. How are the fingers?
RAFAEL NADAL: Much better. I am able to practice with normal conditions.

Q. Bandages? No bandages or anything?
RAFAEL NADAL: Bandages, yes. The skin is still very thin, but it's fine.

Q. A lot of people have said you've been stymied, you've been flummoxed by Djokovic this season. I mean, do you feel like if you possibly meet him in the US Open this week or next week that you have good chance against him?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am here. You know, I am here at the start of the tournament and you start to talk about a match against Djokovic. I have to win a lot to play Djokovic. And probably him, too. He's not in the final yet.
I am focused on try to play well and try to have very good practice this week. That's what I am doing. And the good chances against Djokovic, those chances always depends how I am playing, how he's playing. Not talking about here, talking in general.
After we will see, no? I think I played a fantastic year this year. I had a lot of victories all the year; I am not happy about how I played against him.

Q. Could you talk about exactly what happened to your fingers? You got burned in Cincinnati at some restaurant, right?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I get burned in a Japanese restaurant. Probably, you know, the Teppanyaki grill was there, probably the plate. When I arrived at the restaurant the plate was there, so probably the plate stayed there for a long time. Not inside the grill. Something like this away to the grill.
You know, when they put the food, I tried to put the plate closer to me and was obviously very hot. (Smiling.)

Q. So your pointing finger and two fingers?
RAFAEL NADAL: Two fingers.

Q. Can you tell us a little bit about this book? Was it important for you to do something like this?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it is something that we decided to do. Was the really first autobiography I was able to do. Was a good opportunity to work with John Carlin. We had a very good feeling together. He speaks in Spanish, too, so it makes a little bit easier everything to talk about the emotion and to talk about, you know...
I think it was a fantastic experience. I talk a long time with him and remember a lot of things that you normally usually don't think about the past, no? So when you start to talk you remember, yeah, few moments of your career, few moments when you were a kid. Was interesting and I had fun, and hopefully the book will like to the people.

Q. In the book where you talk about your parents' separation, it seemed like it came out of the blue for you, that you did not realize that they were having any troubles. Is that right?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't understand that very well.
(Translation.) You know, what happened there was but in the book I never talk about my personal things in the press, but, you know, all the changes in your life needs a little bit of time. That's what happened.
So after a little bit of time I was perfect, but, you know, at the beginning it's tough. But, you know, I am not the only one who has the parents divorcing in one moment of my life. Only thing is that Mallorca the family is very important, you are very close of the people that your friends, your family. So any change in this part, these people close to you, affects you, no?
That's happened. That's past.

Q. I understand how it affected you. What I don't understand is how you did not see problems between your mother and father. You did not notice problems between your mom and dad?
RAFAEL NADAL: I know the problems, but anyway, I gonna repeat you, I don't want to talk about that now.

Q. How does it feel to come here after having you won it last year? Do you see the tournament different? Is it less pressure because you won it once?
RAFAEL NADAL: The emotions probably are a little bit different, because when you come back after the victory of last year the emotions are higher. Of course, it was the last Grand Slam for me to complete all four. Was very, very nice moment of my career, one of the biggest moments of my career. That makes the comeback a little more special.
But if we talk about the goal, is the same. Play well, try to arrive to the final rounds. That's the same, no?
Pressure? I don't feel extra pressure. I am happy about how I did. I didn't play very well during the summer, but I am practicing much better here. So we'll see.

Q. Have you been surprised this year by the turnaround, where before it was you and Roger for so long at the top, and now all of a sudden Djokovic didn't come out of nowhere, but he really has jumped up very quickly this year. Have you been surprised by that change?
RAFAEL NADAL: Djokovic didn't arrive this year, no?

Q. But he was not playing at the level that you were...
RAFAEL NADAL: He was No. 3 of the world for three years. That's not bad.

Q. But he only won one slam.
RAFAEL NADAL: Only one, and most of the people never won one.
For me is a little bit strange about the people here from tennis talks about Djokovic, about his big new improvement. Djokovic was here before, no? Djokovic played fantastic before. He had fantastic potential to be where he is today.
He's doing great. He's playing without injuries. He's playing very solid, the mental, the tennis. What he's doing is something very difficult to repeat.
For me surprise? I think for everybody surprise see a player that he's not losing. He's only lost two matches during all the year. For everybody surprising, but for me is no surprise that Djokovic is No. 1. For me is not a surprise that Djokovic is able to win Grand Slams, because he's very good.
That's not from six months ago.

Q. Two questions: One, you're 25 years old. Does it feel strange to have a book about your life at 25? And second, you seem like generally a pretty private person. What did you want to tell? What did you want to accomplish with this book?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am lucky. 25 years old and I enjoyed a lot of experiences in my life. You never know if you can have another book in the future, but I felt it's a good time to have that one.
Is a little bit of the history of my life. Is a little bit of the history how I am where I am today. Just open a little bit more of my life to them, to the fans, to the people who support me, the people who are interested about me.
For me, you know, now I am a little bit more open with the fans with the Twitter with the Facebook, and now with the book. So I am trying to be more connected with them, and that's probably a good way to do it.

Metis
08-28-2011, 08:54 AM
I was just going to post that. :mad:

Castafiore
08-28-2011, 08:56 AM
:lol: Add emoticons if you like. :shrug:

Metis
08-28-2011, 08:59 AM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2011-08-25/201108251314311810250.html

Rafa returns the love with 10 and Under Tennis

By Nicholas J. Walz
Thursday, August 25, 2011

For the campers of the Child Center of New York (CCNY), coming to the US Open and getting a chance to experience SmashZone was more than enough to classify August 25 as the red-letter day on their summer calendar.

Then Rafael Nadal wanted to see what all the fun was about, and a great day turned into an unforgettable event.

The defending Open champion and No. 2 seed stepped out from Interview Room 1 and the 2011 US Open Draw Ceremony and ambled over to the Chase Center, where SmashZone is housed, in full tennis gear, ready to take part in a 10 and Under Tennis clinic. Rafa's appearance is part of the "Returning the Love" initiative, with the US Open and the players of the ATP and WTA tours are proactively reaching out to New York City communities and surrounding areas— including youth, families and non-profit organizations—to create a positive and lasting impact.

It took a few seconds before each of the 30 kids from the Queens area realized who had just walked in the door - but when they did, they raced to the court in the middle of the floor.

"Thank you very much," Nadal said to each child :inlove: as they lined up to hit, smiling as he swatted a few trick shots over the net with the foam balls designed for the QuickStart play format.

"Good job by all you guys - you should be very proud."

Not too long ago, the 25-year-old Grand Slam champion was in their shoes, taking his first swings as a small boy in Spain. In the United States, more and more youngsters learn the game through 10 and Under Tennis, which makes the game more accessible to children - with pop-up nets, smaller court dimensions and foam balls, a child can hitting successfully and have fun the very first day they pick up a racquet. SmashZone displays a wide array of 10 and Under Tennis-related games and activities which displace antiquated lessons and drills as introduction to tennis for today's kids.

"(The event) was a tremendous opportunity for our kids to learn a little bit about the sport of tennis and in real-life see a player like Nadal who is so great at what he does," said Laura Schenone, CCNY Communications Director. "We hope that this will give them the drive to achieve their own aspirations through tennis."

Schenone's CCNY outfit has operated in Queens for nearly 60 years as a non-profit agency to help at-risk children succeed in life. Their mission through programming - which includes Head Start, youth counseling, after-school mentorship and child abuse prevention in addition to recreational activities - is to create safe, active alternatives for children and their families to keep the family unit intact.

"We serve 18,000 kids each year with over 80 programs," said Schenone. "These kids are part of our summer camp program, and to have the chance to be here, where it all happens in tennis is thrilling. We're all so lucky."

It is true. How many kids in the world can say they played tennis with the great Rafael Nadal? :D

http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_08252011_Nadal_Clinic_2011_US_Open_100.jpg

Metis
08-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Poor Rafa :hug: stymied, flummoxed... :lol: those journalists are doing it on purpose. :(

:lol: Add emoticons if you like. :shrug:

It's no fun now. :sad:

Metis
08-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Looking back, I can see that where I went oh so wrong with my thread was not putting enough :scared: :unsure: s into it. :( :( :(

Is it wise to remind people of that incident? :(

JolánGagó
08-28-2011, 12:36 PM
MIT pick: SF

star
08-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Is it wise to remind people of that incident? :(

“You can’t be wise and in love at the same time.”

—Bob Dylan.

MariaV
08-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah poor Rafa, stymied and flummoxed by Nole.... :awww: :sad: :tears:
And then getting his fingers burned in a Japanese restaurant. :o :awww:

OK, I say SF. Vamos Rafa! :bounce: :bigclap: :banana: :yippee:

shawshank
08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Sf

Björki
08-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Mit: F

Foxy
08-29-2011, 01:07 PM
It is time for some MIT points for me. I have got to catch up. Put me down for the WIN. Don't see anybody who can stop him and the draw is a favorable one.

Getta
08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Tuesday OoP

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM

Match Start At: 11:00
Women's Singles - 1st Round
Victoria Azarenka(BLR)[4] vs. Johanna Larsson(SWE)

Not Before: 13:00
Caroline Wozniacki(DEN)[1] vs. Nuria Llagostera Vives(ESP)

followed by
Men's Singles - 1st Round
Novak Djokovic(SRB)[1] vs. Conor Niland(IRL)

Match Start At: 19:00
Men's Singles - 1st Round
Andrey Golubev(KAZ) vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

followed by
Bojana Jovanovski(SRB) vs. Serena Williams(USA)[28]

rafa_maniac
08-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Sf

Metis
08-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Update!

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Gustavo Kuerten
4th -
QF - Metis
SF - born_on_clay, Commander_Data, hat_boy, JolanGago, MariaV, Minn, rafa_maniac, Rafaaah, shawshank, Xristos
F - Bjorki

Metis
08-30-2011, 12:00 PM
“You can’t be wise and in love at the same time.”

—Bob Dylan.

Nonsense! Just because Bob Dylan couldn't do it doesn't mean no one else can. :rolleyes:

star
08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Nonsense! Just because Bob Dylan couldn't do it doesn't mean no one else can. :rolleyes:

He said “you” not “I.”

Anyway, not head over heels.

Maybe if you are “in esteem."

Castafiore
08-31-2011, 06:38 AM
Post-match interview:
R1 presser (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/video/2011-08-30/01321de04e800000042f.html)

Ben.
08-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Rafa picking up right where he left off in Cinci. 6 feet behind the baseline, no willingness to be attacking, relying on the opponent to miss. It's like 2005 hardcourt Rafa except he no longer moves as well. You have to wonder what is going on in his head. If he doesn't at least try to be more positive then why bother at all. This gameplan is only going to get him through a few rounds at best, he should be trying to find his rhythm now and save himself from running all match long and wasting energy too early.

MariaV
08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Rafa picking up right where he left off in Cinci. 6 feet behind the baseline, no willingness to be attacking, relying on the opponent to miss. It's like 2005 hardcourt Rafa except he no longer moves as well. You have to wonder what is going on in his head. If he doesn't at least try to be more positive then why bother at all. This gameplan is only going to get him through a few rounds at best, he should be trying to find his rhythm now and save himself from running all match long and wasting energy too early.

I think Rafa just maybe didn't work as much after his super season last year, and the injury in Australia and illness after that and the losses to Nole and the foot injury again at Wimbledon haven't let him get prepared well enough, he is not at his best neither physically nor mentally this season, we just have to accept it. Hopefully he'll be back better next year.

Ben.
08-31-2011, 02:04 PM
I think Rafa just maybe didn't work as much after his super season last year, and the injury in Australia and illness after that and the losses to Nole and the foot injury again at Wimbledon haven't let him get prepared well enough, he is not at his best neither physically nor mentally this season, we just have to accept it. Hopefully he'll be back better next year.

Definitely. I seem to remember he only took a few days off during the offseason, he played all those exhos, then the flu and hamstring was a brutally unfortunate one-two punch when on the brink of history. Then the awful second and third set performance against Djokovic at Indian Wells was a pivotal moment I think, even then the press was hyping Djokovic being unbeaten despite it being only his third tournament of the year :rolleyes: and that seemed to get to Rafa. Oh well, he still picked up RG this year and if he can bounce back from '09 he can bounce back from this.

star
08-31-2011, 02:12 PM

Can’t rep you again yet. :hug: :hug:

born_on_clay
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4503/55331868.png

MariaV
08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Can’t rep you again yet. :hug: :hug:

No problem. ;)

And it's not like I'm writing off this year, hopefully he can finish this season decently just that I don't have any huge (unreal) expectations. With winning RG this season has been good enough as Rafa likes to remind us from time to time.

shawshank
08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
It's amazing that last year Rafa was broken 5 times in 7 matches on his way to the title. Golubev already broke him 6 times...

star
08-31-2011, 05:51 PM
It's amazing that last year Rafa was broken 5 times in 7 matches on his way to the title. Golubev already broke him 6 times...

:lol:

Last year was just amazing and miraculous in my eyes. I never expected it, and really I don’t expect it again. I don’t mean winning, but the way he won.

Foxy
08-31-2011, 08:22 PM

And still Rafa hasn't lost a set so far. It means the return is getting better in time. Vamos!

FlameOn
09-02-2011, 07:35 AM
He's playing so shit. He ain't winning this USO :smash:. A 3R exit to Nalby wouldn't surprise me.

MariaV
09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Naaah, and lsoing to Nalby wouldn't be bad because I love Nalby too. :D

Rafa is 3rd on AA of course. Is it good to play during the day, seems it's faster than during the night session?

Arthur Ashe Stadium 11:00 AM Start Time
1. Women's Singles - 3rd Round
Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)[30] v. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)[2]

Not Before:1:00 PM
2. Women's Singles - 3rd Round
Flavia Pennetta (ITA)[26] v. Maria Sharapova (RUS)[3]

3. Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Nicolas Mahut (FRA) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Ben.
09-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Type of match that suited Rafa nicely. Was able to just strike some winners, Mahut bascially giving him targets to knock down. Shame for Mahut that he retired, Rafa too I think, could have used another set.

Nalbandian next, was hoping Ljubo would come through. Rafa should just be able to out last Nalby but he needs to return well and take advantage of Nalby's serve. H2H says it will be tough.

Topspindoctor
09-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Nadal will destroy overrated Nalbandian. It's best of 5 and Nalbandian is a terrible slam player. He will have a great target to practice his ground game on. Returning isn't an issue...my granny can return Nalbandian's serve.

I predict a reasonably tough 2 sets followed by a 3rd set rout as Nalbandian runs out of gas.

7-5 6-4 6-2.

MariaV
09-03-2011, 07:27 AM
I feel sorry for Mahut. :awww:

Should Rafa lose to Nalbandian I would not be too mad because I love David too. Rafa should come through though. :) Vamos! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

born_on_clay
09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8706/98520882.jpg

Foxy
09-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't like the serve speeds of this match. Very slow serve. At least he got the job done quickly and played from the back well.

MariaV
09-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Interview after Mahut.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-09-02/201109031315060537822.html

Q. Obviously you got the win today. Is it difficult spending less than an hour on the court in terms of preparation for your next match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I spend long time first round. Today sorry for him. He felt pain when he was serving. That's what he told me. So I wish him all the best. Hope to see him back on court very soon. No, for me for sure I have to say like every time when that's happens is not nice win like this, but, no, that's sport sometimes.

Q. He hurt you with his serve the last time you played. Could you tell that he was not right with the serve today from the start?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't talk that much with him. He told me that he stop because he feel pain when he was serving. I don't know if from the beginning, I don't know if after the first set.

Q. You couldn't tell a difference from the last time you met him?

RAFAEL NADAL: Which meeting?

Q. The only time you played him.

RAFAEL NADAL: I played him in Queen's. Is another surface. Is completely different. Is no comparation.

Q. In your book what you say is, What I battle hardest to do in a tennis match is to quiet the voices in my head. I was wondering if you could talk about that a little bit.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, is tough question to answer now, no? I don't know exactly if I say these words exactly, because is translation from English to Spanish, so I don't know if I say that. Probably the translation is the same, but probably what I wanted to say is not exactly that. But I always say just when you are in a tough situations, you know, try to choose the right thing to do in every moment, the right election. If you have to serve wide, serve wide. Do the right things, you know, because sometimes you think that you want to play three shots to the backhand of the opponent, and at the last moment for the nerves, for everything, you decide to change to the other side. So try to be enough calm to do what you want to do.

Q. After your previous match, I believe you said you were a little tentative. Are you feeling more confident now as you're moving into this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is just another match. I think I did few things much better than in the first match. That's an improve for sure. I didn't feel bad today, no. I think I played well, played a good match against not an easy opponent. He is difficult to play. He's doing all the time serve and volley, returning quick. So I tried to, you know, to repeat all the time the same points, try to play with my strategy, try to have the control of the point with my forehand, try to play a little bit more aggressive when I have the chance, and I think I did. So I did what I really want to improve from the first match. I did, so I happy for that.

Q. He said after the match that he felt like you didn't have quite the same confidence you had a year ago, didn't feel like you were going for the shots as much as you used to be. Do you think that's correct?

RAFAEL NADAL: That's an opinion. Probably that's correct. Nobody's with the same confidence in every moment of his career. That's true. But one year ago of the second round I didn't went for those shots, too. I played defensive match, suffering a lot against Istomin, having 5 1, something like this I think in the tiebreak, for him in the second set. The people remember probably you, too the people remember the last day when you are with the trophy, when you play fantastic the final. But to arrive this moment is not everything a way of roses, no? You didn't play fantastic every match and every moment. And last year I didn't. I improved a little bit every day last year to win the tournament playing very well, and that's what happen thousand of times. In Roland Garros I started this year playing very bad the first week. I played good semifinals and very good final. That's tennis. Not everybody's ready to start from the beginning to play perfect. Sometimes you are not ready to start perfect and you cannot improve during the tournament, so you go back home. That's the sport. We will see if I am ready to improve. I improved a little bit for the third round. I'm happy for that. We'll see next round.

Q. Have you had opportunities to see Djokovic, Federer, and Murray, and how would you assess how they're playing?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't see much. I watch a little bit of Andy's match now, the end of the match. I didn't see Djokovic yesterday. I saw a little bit of Federer the other day, but just three games of the last set against Giraldo. I didn't saw him during the second round. Especially from the beginning, we're in the beginning of the tournament, it's difficult to watch a lot of matches because lot of matches going on. You really don't know when one is playing the other, so...

Q. Do you like watching tennis?

RAFAEL NADAL: I love tennis (smiling).

Q. I mean, when you get away from the court, do you watch as much as you can or do you try to get away from it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not as much as I can. During the tournament I like to watch if an interesting match like Murray, Robin Haase today; Robin is a dangerous opponent. This kind of match you can expect tough match. For sure I love tennis, but I watch tennis every day and I play tennis every day. So when I am at home and there is tournaments there, if there is any match that I like to see or one player that I want to see, I go and see the player, if some friends are playing. But in general I try to do other things.

Q. You got through this match relatively easy, unlike Andy's match. In terms of the opportunity to get out there in the second round, and to really get a feel for the court you talk about adjusting. In a way, do you prefer to be tested a little bit, or is it nice to get through in 1 hour and 20 minutes?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I prefer to be in the third round. I don't know. If I have here and I play 3 hours, four sets, tough match, even if I winning, we arrived here and say, Well, you're not playing very well. If you win 6 2, 6 2, and that's happen, you come here, and is not enough to prepare for the next round. So what's best? You never know. The best thing is play very good the next match and try to be in the fourth round. That's the only thing that's positive, no? The confidence is coming every day. I improved a little bit today. Have a day off tomorrow for practice, keep doing few things. I improved I think with the few days off. I did a few things better to prepare for this match. I have another day tomorrow. We'll see.

Q. David Nalbandian tomorrow?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me he's a very dangerous opponent. I had very tough matches against him. How is the head to head? I lost first two, first three, I don't know. I lost against him in Madrid, Paris. I don't remember the other one. I beat him in an unbelievable match in Indian Wells 2009, and I beat him in Miami 2010 probably. Both matches was tough. We'll see. He's dangerous. He's a very good player. We know each other really good. We practice a lot together. He's a good friend. :hearts: :inlove: Will be a very good test for me.

Q. Rafa, in the book you say, Manacor is about as far away from New York as is possible to imagine. I wonder in what ways this sticks out for you from where you grew up?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry, Manacor is really different of New York. You cannot compare a village to probably one of the centers, biggest cities, busy cities of the world. The life is completely different in Manacor than in New York. Is probably the opposite.

Q. Are you comfortable in both, or do you prefer a quieter setting?

RAFAEL NADAL: To live, I am more than happy where I am living. I am not ready to change Mallorca for another place, no? I love where I am. I have few things there that I cannot find here, for example. And for sure here there is a few things that I cannot find in Mallorca, too. But if I have to say something, to spend two weeks, is probably the right place to be here in New York. To have a quality life, I will say Mallorca. :hearts: :inlove:

And Rafa first match today on AA vs Nalbandian. :lick: :drool: Vamos! :banana: :yippee: :bigclap: :bounce: :cheerleader:

MariaV
09-04-2011, 06:21 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/011ffCp2ugg42/610x.jpg

NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 04: Rafael Nadal of Spain gets his foot taped up by trainer Clay Sniteman during his match against David Nalbandian of Argentina during Day Seven of the 2011 US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on September 4, 2011 in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City.

Rafa won 7-6(5) 6-1 7-5 btw. :D

MariaV
09-04-2011, 06:34 PM
For Metis :hearts: :inlove:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04Ht1IlcTy1SA/x610.jpg

born_on_clay
09-04-2011, 07:24 PM
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5296/21477984.jpg

shawshank
09-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Every match Rafa's serve is getting slower... :(

star
09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
An Interview With: Rafael Nadal

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Q. You must be happy. David is a tough competitor, but are you happy with the way you played?

RAFAEL NADAL: Very happy the first set and second set I think I played a very high level. Even if he was beating me 4 2 and 5 4 on serve, I was very pleased about how I played the first set, no? He was playing fantastic in my opinion at the beginning. I didn't have unforced errors. I played well. I just tried to wait my moment.

Q. You said after the match that this was your best game so far. Are there parts of your game still that you're not too happy with that you feel you need to work on?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I happy about almost everything today. I think my movements worked pretty well, and the forehand worked really well, and the backhand, too. Just when I had to win the match with the 5 3 I played a really bad game there. For the rest of the match, I happy about everything.

Q. You were looking a moment ago at the monitor. Have you seen much of Donald Young? What are your observations of Young's career and the way he plays?

RAFAEL NADAL: How old is he?

Q. 22. 21 or 22.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I played against him in Indian Wells a few years ago. I didn't see much of him here. Sure, he's young. He has a good future. But a lot of years I heard about Young, so that's true. He had very good matches in US Open in the past, I think. I don't know what year, but I saw him playing really well few matches. But after seems like I didn't see him on the tour for a while. So it's a little bit strange, no? But he can play really good. He has very good shot in my opinion. But I don't know, at the end of the day important thing what makes you good player is the mental part, so I don't know enough him. But he's young. Normal thing is a process, and he will be there.

Q. I think there have been 18 players who have withdrawn or retired from the tournament this year. What do you think of that, and is the tennis schedule too long during the entire year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is not the time to say. Well, is the right moment to say lot of, I don't know, bad things about the calendar, bad things about things. I don't want to do it now that. I did in the past. I advanced that a lot of times. Nothing to say now. Just when that's happen you have to find reasons. I already found a lot of reasons in the past, so is not the moment to say the same reasons another time.

Q. On court you're so intense, so focused. You have such drive. Off the court you're a very humble man, very kind, down to earth. Some say there's no other player like that.

RAFAEL NADAL: Thank you (Laughter.) But I think I am not that strong on court. I am positive on court. I am not sad.

Q. Not sad, but you're very intense. In your book you say you never smile. Ask Roger. Every point is a battle, and so relaxed off court. I think you know what I'm talking about, just the difference in the two parts of your personality. Could you just talk about that a little bit, please.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think my personal opinion is I am normally happy person, and inside the court I am focused but always in or almost always in a positive way. I am never, you know normally I accept when I played bad. I accept the mistakes and I never talk too much. I never say bad words. Almost never. I am focused, but always in the positive way. I think I have a good personal control on court. That's the work, I think.

Q. It's not your conduct on court. It's tremendous. It's just the focus. Give it up fella. He’s not gonna talk about it.

[/b]RAFAEL NADAL:[/B] Everything is practice.

Q. Was the 11:00 a.m. start a factor in the first set being so close? Was it a bit tricky to play him then? Normally that doesn't happen to you.

RAFAEL NADAL: You have to wake up early, but I usually go to bed very late. I tried yesterday to go early; didn't work. :lol: :lol:(Laughter.) I was in the bed earlier, but still can't sleep until late. No, for me is not a problem. Sometimes is a problem you have to play very early for practice, but to play third round of the US Open, I was enough not tired when I wake up to go. Is not a problem for me. I am ready today.

Q. Your relationship with your Uncle Toni is a complicated one in that he was tough on you growing up.

RAFAEL NADAL: Not that much.

Q. He was pretty tough on you growing up, as you said, to push you, and yet, as you said, you wouldn't be where you are today without him. Is it necessary in tennis to be an elite player to have somebody behind you that's gonna push you pretty hard sometimes?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every person, every character is different. Some people need person there; another people don't need one person there. In my case, I always said without him, big chances to not be here without him. So I only can say thanks to him for everything. I know he was tough with me a lot of times, especially in the past. Not now. When I was a kid especially. Now, no. I am already have 25, and the relationship is, like everything, change a little bit around the years, no? But because of him, today I have this under control. I have good control of myself inside the court. I am positive. Because of him probably can resist the pressure these years, because I practiced with pressure all my life. For me is nothing really strange when I feel the pressure when I am on court.

Q. Agassi said before that he had a lot of anxiety when he was releasing his biography; he had some nerves about revealing his personal life. How did you feel when you let the book come out and see a lot of personal sides of you? Did you feel any anxiety?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.) Can you repeat the first part of the question?

Q. Andre Agassi when he released his book Open, he expressed that he was very nervous about how people would perceive his personal life? Did you feel the same by releasing your book, nervous about releasing things like that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is different kind of book. (Laughter.) Everybody knows a little bit more my life without the book than Andre's life without the book. I wasn't really nervous. The problem is always the same. When some people take some words from the book and put outside, you know, change a little bit the way that it really means. That's the only problem. But for the rest, I don't have. My life is really clean. :worship:

Q. Did you read the book?

RAFAEL NADAL: Seriously, I didn't. :lol: :lol: I’m gonna be I need to be big concentration to read the book in English, and I know my life. I will read when that happen in Spanish. :yeah: Very soon. I will. I will do it because I am interest how it works, no, how is writed, no?

Q. There is quite a bit in the book that's very outspoken that tells us a lot about your experiences with Toni, your experiences with your family, your pain. You're still comfortable with that? You have no problem with expressing those things in your book?

RAFAEL NADAL: If I had a problem, I never gonna express that in the book. That's the answer, no? I had a book because I went to make the book, me and my team or my team and me, we thought that was the right time to do it, even if I am at the beginning of my career (Winking. For me is not the problem. No, no, no. If I don't want to say nothing to the crowd, I don't gonna say.

Q. What gets you more excited: your own big victories or Real Madrid's big victories? :stupid:

RAFAEL NADAL: Always personal victories are more special, no? I am big fan of football and I enjoy all the matches. I am a Real Madrid and Real Mallorca fan. For sure I enjoy a lot when they win.

Q. Can you describe your thoughts on your first week of play here and on your next match?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I played every day better. Today for moments I played, my opinion, very, very positive level, very high level. I am happy about two weeks here. I arrived Monday after Cincinnati. I practiced Monday. Since I arrived here I think everything was really positive. Even if I lose next round, for me was a positive week. After Wimbledon I had the injury; I didn't practice a lot. I practiced seven days but really with motivation three days. And the allusion for the competition, the allusion to come back, you know, was tough at the beginning, because I was a little bit too tired mentally, a little bit too tired physically. But after two weeks of practice in Montreal, Cincinnati, I arrived here and I have the right motivation. That's the most important thing for me, be happy playing tennis, have the motivation to go on court every day, and to try the best in every moment. That's what I did here. That's the way to do it, and that's why I'm still playing tennis. That's why I want to keep working hard the rest of the year and next year, no? Accept all the difficulties, the problems, and try to play another time at my best. The next opponent will be tough one. I already lost with him in Wimbledon 2005. This year was tough, especially tough, two sets against him in Wimbledon fourth round, too, I think. Fourth or I think it was fourth round, no? (Through translation.) Was tough, really tough third round. He's a very aggressive player. Fantastic serve. I have to move him. Probably his movements are the worst thing, but the rest of the game can be really dangerous.

JolánGagó
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
the "blackout" :scared:

star
09-04-2011, 09:27 PM
the "blackout" :scared:

Hyperbole

star
09-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Here’s the US Open site story and video on the cramping incident.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2011-09-04/201109041315172389770.html

star
09-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Nadal, the second seed, won 7-6 (7-5), 6-1, 7-5 in 2 hours, 39 minutes against David Nalbandian of Argentina today at the National Tennis Center in New York. About two hours later, he slid off his chair during a news conference because of right leg cramps.

"I just have cramping in my leg, that's all," Nadal said in a statement after the interview room was locked for about 10 minutes while trainers and his family attended to him. "That's why I fell, it was so painful."

Nadal, 25, of Spain, who will play Gilles Muller of Luxembourg for a place in the quarterfinals at the final Grand Slam tennis tournament of the year, didn't answer any questions in English after the cramping.

"It could have happened anywhere, it was just bad luck it happened here," Nadal said in Spanish while standing in front of the interview podium.

Nadal lost a game on a double fault when serving for the match at 5-3 in the third set. The Spaniard saved another break point at 5-5 before sealing the win in the next game on his third match point when Nalbandian double-faulted.

The temperature was 82 degrees (28 Celsius) at the time of Nadal's match, with humidity of 65 percent.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/09/04/bloomberg1376-LR0H3G1A74E901-1PD3MMJPSHP5R8J9DDEHSV5SKF.DTL

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Even if it turns out to be nothing, which Rafael Nadal insists was the case, the frightening scene in his post-match interview Sunday will go down as memorable.

Answering questions in Spanish, Nadal suddenly started grimacing in pain. He tilted his head back, covered his face with his arm. His face twisted in agony as he slid down in his chair, he motioned for help.

After a few nervous moments with the trainers crowded around the table, Nadal popped back up. A simple leg cramp, he insisted.

"It's bad luck it happened here and not in the locker room," he said.

But because it did, that was the big news Sunday at the U.S. Open — bigger than Nadal's straight-set win over David Nalbandian that ended about two hours before the cramping episode, bigger than wins by Americans Donald Young (a surprise) and Andy Roddick (not as much of one).

"I just have cramping in my leg, that's all," Nadal said.

His 7-6 (5), 6-1, 7-5 win over Nalbandian was routine, at least as routine as they've been going for the defending champion and No. 2 seed through the first week at Flushing Meadows. He gave up a break early in the first set but fought back to force a tiebreaker that he won. He gave back a break in the third set to turn a possible 6-3 close-out into something much closer.

He is winning but not steamrolling — serving well, but not dominating the way he did last year. Last year, he lost serve five times in seven matches; this year, he's lost nine service games in three.

"I was happy about almost everything today," Nadal said. "I think my movements worked pretty well, and the forehand worked really well, and the backhand, too. Just when I had to win the match at 5-3, I played a really bad game there. For the rest of the match, I happy about everything."

But shortly after saying that, the cramping came — in his right quadriceps and his right hamstring. A scary scene with a few dozen reporters looking on and the cameras rolling. Certainly something that will give people plenty to talk about as Nadal gears up for the second week, even if it really wasn't too big a deal.

"Not to put a dampener on the story, which I know you guys think is really big, but people cramp after matches when you're cold," Roddick said after his match. "It's just something that happens. It's just unfortunate it happened in front of you all. Every single player in there has had that happen before. Every single one."

http://www.globalnews.ca/nadal+wins+then+feels+the+pain+in+scary+scene+at+f lushing+meadows/6442475302/story.html

Nadal win overshadowed by pain

By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Toward the end of his press conference Sunday, Rafael Nadal suddenly stopped talking and leaned back in his chair. He closed his eyes and grimaced. He started taking unnaturally big breaths.

Then all hell broke loose.

Nadal slid off his chair and lay down on the floor behind a big desk. The International Tennis Federation representative hurriedly cleared Interview Room No. 1 and had the lights killed. Still, cameras and microphones allowed the whole 15-minute drama to be seen and heard.

It was truly extraordinary to witness. Trainers and members of his team rushed to his aid, speaking swiftly in Spanish. Complaining of leg cramps -- the classic symptoms of dehydration -- Nadal received ice and water.

Nadal had just beaten David Nalbandian 7-6 (5), 6-1, 7-5 on a hot and particularly humid day. He was pulled to his feet and walked off the stage under his own power, but his legs were unsteady.

Five minutes later, Nadal returned to say he was fine. As if nothing had happened at all.

"I just have cramping in front and behind," he said. "That's why I, was so painful. That's all."

Later, Andy Roddick downplayed the incident:

"Not to put a dampener on the story, which I know you guys think is really big, but people cramp after matches when you're cold," Roddick said. "It's just something that happens. It's just unfortunate it happened in front of you all. Every single player in there has had that happen before. Every single one.

"What we do, we run around, run miles and miles and miles and miles on the tennis court in nasty weather. You throw nerves in there, I mean, it happens. As long as it doesn't happen during a match, you're fine."

This U.S. Open has already been visited by a record 14 retirements, but this episode memorably underlined how difficult the conditions have been.

Still, there is a winner to be crowned.

If you put $1 on Nadal to win here, the folks at Ladbrokes will give you $4 back if he does. If you're backing Novak Djokovic, it will take 11 bucks to make only $10. This is what happens when you've won 60 of 62 matches.

Rafa never makes it look easy -- some of his early-round matches in New York are about as watchable as late-night infomercials -- but beyond that bizarre turn of events, there is another reason to like his chances:

Nadal, almost quietly with the tsunami of Djokovic coverage, has now won 10 straight matches at the Billie Jean King national tennis center. The 29-year-old Nalbandian came into the match as one of only two men to own a .500 or better record against Nadal. They had split four previous matches and, early on, it looked as if the Argentine -- despite a 0-8 streak against top-10 players -- might take Rafa down.

He was serving for the first set at 5-4, when two things happened: Rafa started hitting his forehand a little bigger, and Nalbandian perceptibly tightened. Nalbandian went for an ill-advised drop shot, then lost the game with a woeful second serve that landed a yard long. By the time they reached the tiebreaker, you knew how it was going to end.

Nalbandian threw in another atrocious double, and at 5-all, Nadal hit a terrific shot behind a scrambling Nalbandian, then picked a serve outside and dropped a forehand into the open court. And that was the extent of the drama.

"I happy about almost everything today," Rafa said. "He was playing fantastic, in my opinion, in the beginning."

Nadal -- about an hour before his postmatch episode -- called it his best match of the tournament so far.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/6930653/us-open-rafael-nadal-win-overshadowed-pain

Nadal OK After Leg Cramps Cause Scary Moment
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM ET

NEW YORK (AP) — Rafael Nadal was back on his feet after a scary moment during his news conference about two hours after his third-round victory at the U.S. Open on Sunday, when he was overcome by pain from cramping in his right hamstring and thigh.

Reporters were cleared out of the interview room while the defending champion was given bags of ice to put on his leg and water to drink. After about 10 minutes, reporters were allowed back in, and Nadal told everyone, "I just have cramping in my leg. That's all."

Nadal was in the middle of the Spanish portion of his news conference when he leaned back in his chair in obvious pain, his arm over his face.

"I just have cramping in front and behind," he said later. "Was so painful."

After receiving treatment and making a statement in English, he resumed his Spanish interviews.

Earlier, Nadal overcame a blister on his right foot and two tight sets to beat 2002 Wimbledon runner-up David Nalbandian 7-6 (5), 6-1, 7-5 and reach the fourth round on a muggy afternoon with temperatures in the 80s.

The 76th-ranked Nalbandian went up a break in the fifth game and served for the first set at 5-4, but he double-faulted on break point. Then, at 3-all in the tiebreaker, Nalbandian double-faulted again, helping the second-seeded Nadal nose ahead.

Nalbandian broke to begin the third set, but Nadal broke right back to 1-1, then took an injury timeout after that game to have his right foot taped because of the blister.

"Second set I think I played a very high level," Nadal said during his news conference before the cramping. "Even if he was beating me 4-2 and 5-4 on serve, I was very pleased about how I played the first set, no? He was playing fantastic in my opinion at the beginning."

Nadal played far more cleanly and finished with only 18 unforced errors, 42 fewer than Nalbandian's total.

For a spot in the quarterfinals, Nadal will face 68th-ranked Gilles Muller of Luxembourg, who hit 23 aces in his 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Igor Kunitsyn of Russia.

Muller is playing at Flushing Meadows for the first time since reaching the quarterfinals as a qualifier in 2008.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/09/04/sports/tennis/AP-TEN-US-Open-Nadal.html?_r=1&ref=tennis

Ben.
09-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Every match Rafa's serve is getting slower... :(

He was going for a high percentage today to protect his second serve from Nalby's return, but yeh we aren't going to see him serving as big as last year it seems.

A bit better from Rafa today, he was thoroughly outplayed for much of the first set but David was on fire, thankfully he dug it out. Nalby went away for most of the match after that and Rafa had it easy, failing to serve it out aside. I just hope cramping isn't going to become an issue for him this week.

Muller next, he got it done in straights at Wimby so I hope for the same again. His serve shouldn't be quite as effective here, but still I expect a tie break or two, he seems to enjoy playing Rafa. Unfortunately this type of match wont be ideal preperation for Ferrer, his ground game will need to improve should they both make it to the QF.

FlameOn
09-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for proving me wrong. :bigclap:

PeakRafa20082010
09-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Win

The draw is just too perfect

Castafiore
09-05-2011, 07:22 AM
From Andy Roddick's presser:
Q. I presume you heard about what happened to Rafa in this room a little while ago. Could you talk about the physical tolls on athletes.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, not to put a dampener on the story, which I know you guys think is really big, but people cramp after matches when you're cold. It's just something that happens. It's just unfortunate it happened in front of you all. Every single player in there has had that happen before. Every single one. What we do, we run around, run miles and miles and miles and miles on the tennis court in nasty weather. You throw nerves in there, I mean, it happens. As long as it doesn't happen during a match, you're fine.

Q. The worst case of your cramps?
ANDY RODDICK: Cramps are fine. It's not an injury. A cramp is a cramp. When you go to bed and your foot cramps, it's the same thing but your entire leg. For me, I heard about it. They were telling me it was like this whole thing and people were surrounding him. I kind of started laughing. I mean, I saw Rafa and he was laughing about it later on.

Q. It's just that he's sitting there and next he's sliding out of sight.
ANDY RODDICK: That's fine. That's just a matter of what part of your body cramps. Cramp in your ass, you can't sit on it anymore. Makes it tough (laughter).

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-09-04/201109041315173537555.html

MariaV
09-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Hilde Hilde didn't you read back, I posted the same photo for Metis on last page already. ;) :p

Castafiore
09-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Busted. :o Deleted it.

MariaV
09-05-2011, 11:34 AM
OK and here some Rafa chirt change. Both David and Rafa were sweating a lot.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0etA2uW07edfJ/x610.jpg

OK and just one Nalby (:inlove:) for Metis.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ene4pyaQs0hK/610x.jpg
... aaand another one :o
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07f44vK1WL0Fw/x610.jpg

star
09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
That’s fine, but what about the rest of us? :ras: :ras:

MariaV
09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
You got the shirt change, should be enough for you. :p ;)

star
09-05-2011, 04:35 PM
You got the shirt change, should be enough for you. :p ;)

You underestimate me.

Metis
09-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Tuesday, September 6

Arthur Ashe Stadium 11:00 AM

Men's Singles - 4th Round
Donald Young (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpy124.html)(USA)vs. Andy Murray (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpmc10.html)(GBR)[4]

Gilles Muller (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpma30.html)(LUX)vs. Rafael Nadal (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[2]

bettybaby
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
damn, today looks like a washout, and it could hurt rafa!!!!!!!!!!

does not bode well for him i think :( sometimes in sports everything works against you...or for you, depending *sigh*

Metis
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Nadal-Nalbandian 7-6 6-1 7-5

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Gustavo Kuerten
4th -
QF - Metis
F - Bjorki

Gustavo Kuerten: Rafa doesn't lose early in slams, you should know that by now. :hug:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/5/5/35a03075-f237-47a5-b420-b577385fe502.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/4729826560)

Metis
09-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Latest Weather and Schedule Information

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

(As of Tuesday, September 6, at 11 a.m. ET)

2011 US Open Weather Update

The current forecast calls for showers to continue for the next few hours followed by a period of dryness, when we hope to begin match play.

Thank you for your patience, and please check back for updates or sign up for US Open weather text alerts (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/mobile/index.html?promo=WeatherPage) for further updates

bettybaby
09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Gustavo Kuerten: Rafa doesn't lose early in slams, you should know that by now. :hug:

love him!

and new schedule.......found on ONTD....

Rafa, Nole, Serena, Roger on Ashe
RAndy, Stosur, Caro on Armstrong
MAndy, Gillou, Care Bear on Grandstand

i'm assuming tomorrow? :D

Metis
09-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Wednesday, September 7

Gilles Muller (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpma30.html)(LUX)vs. Rafael Nadal (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[2]

Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Novak Djokovic (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpd643.html)(SRB)[1]vs. Janko Tipsarevic (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpt742.html)(SRB)[20]

MariaV
09-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Any chance of play today?

star
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
It’s not looking good.

star
09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
zounETKYAdU

0I-6GMWBb6U

Couldn’t find Murray’s.

Ben.
09-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Well going to be very difficult for the bottom half now. A revised schedule needs to be made surely, improvising around the weather wont cut it now. The tournament needs to be pushed until at least Monday, later if it continues to rain.

Rafa just gave another good interview to Petchy for Sky.

star
09-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Well going to be very difficult for the bottom half now. A revised schedule needs to be made surely, improvising around the weather wont cut it now. The tournament needs to be pushed until at least Monday, later if it continues to rain.

Rafa just gave another good interview to Petchy for Sky.

Can you summarize for us?

Ben.
09-07-2011, 11:48 PM
I'll try and remember, it's getting late though :lol:

He was saying the same sort of thing, being very serious. Saying the players need to be united, that he would never refuse to play because he considers that arrogant, that he understands that the fans and TV are important but in this situation the players health needs to take priority. He said something about feeling passionate and Petch thanked him for being passionate about it.

star
09-08-2011, 12:11 AM
:hatoff: Thanks!

Foxy
09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
How come every single time Rafa is getting screwed by the weather at slams. I remember at least 2 other slams with similar scenario - Wimby2007 and USO2008. He could have won both it it wasn't for the rain and schedule. I have no words. No chance to win this event for sure now. I've well moved on to the next slam.

Metis
09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Thursday, September 8

star
09-08-2011, 03:31 PM
bLPXuaZZZmg

Metis
09-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Nadal-Muller 7-6 6-1 6-2 :)

star
09-08-2011, 11:01 PM
4W0_Dn-wLBA

Our boy is growing up. :worship:

star
09-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Interview

Q. Can you talk about the rain and what happened yesterday at all?

RAFAEL NADAL: You watch me on the TV or not?

Q. Yeah, I did.

RAFAEL NADAL: You want me to repeat everything?

Q. Well, wondering if anything has changed since then to your match today. Andy Roddick had to move courts. Just curious if you've changed...

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know what's going on with the match between Andy and David. I don't know exactly how was the situation. I normally don't talk a lot about the things I don't know. So I prefer ask them what's happening, and that's it. Is from another match, so they gonna have better information than myself. I was playing.

Q. How hard was it for you to start the match today knowing you were down 3-Love, down a break, and you had to think about it overnight and come back out today and start another day?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's best of five. Playing against Muller, he has fantastic serve, so I know I can go on court and lose the first set. That's the normal thing, no? But I go on court, try my best every in moment and trying to produce any opportunity to have the break back. I did. I had the break. I was very happy, because I started the match with good feelings. It's not easy because he plays aggressive, he plays with mistakes, but at the same time with winners. So it's difficult to have the right rhythm against him.

Q. At the start of the seventh game, were you thinking that that was the time to break him? You were very active in the return of service.

RAFAEL NADAL: In the 4-2, seventh game?

Q. Right.

RAFAEL NADAL: I try my best in every return. (Smiling.) I don't feel more active in that game than other games. I felt that if I don't have the break there gonna be very difficult to have the break later, because with the 4-2, I have to go back to the other side against the wind with new balls, 5-2. So I thought that if I don't have that break with the 4-2 to 4-3 I gonna lose the first set.

Q. Specifically about today, what do you think about your game is working and what do you think really put him off balance?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I did well. I did what I had to do. I served with high percentage. I don't have a lot of unforced errors. I had very few. When I had the chance to attack, I did. I played few fantastic passing shots today. That's important against one player like Muller. For the rest, I said before, is difficult to find the rhythm, to hit six, seven, eight balls with good feeling against a player like Muller. But what I can do, I did well.

Q. You're looking at playing four matches in four days, possibly.

RAFAEL NADAL: I am in quarterfinals.

Q. Right. But the person from your side of the draw to emerge will have to play four matches in four days.

RAFAEL NADAL: That's not fair, but that's what it is. Here in the Grand Slams, if I am in the position of the US Open or Wimbledon or Australia, Roland Garros, I will do the same. Why not? I had a lot of interesting meeting with the TV, with everybody, that for sure is better to have the final on Sunday for them. But not for the players, because our part of the draw will be in a very difficult situation for the player who will be in the final. The semifinals maybe, too, because two days in a row playing tough matches is difficult. The matches, quarterfinals, semifinals, four rounds of Grand Slam normally are tough matches. If you don't have rest, you have a big chance not be enough fit to play well the next match. But the problem is we need to have the right representation in these tournaments. You know, I don't know how, but things like this cannot happen. Having the semifinals on Saturday, you know, is something crazy for the players. Last year it was the final on Monday. So is something that in my opinion cannot happen, and the players are important part of the show. My opinion. No, the tournament -- I said is not only the players, the tournament is not important without the players. Is a big tournament, and that's the true. The US Open is -- probably more important is the US Open than the players, but the players are a big part of this show. The fans are a big part of this show. Yesterday you cannot like fans going on court for five, ten minutes, because never stops the rain. So the problem, in my opinion, is not the organization of the US Open. The problem is we don't have enough power in these kind of tournaments. That's what have to change very soon.

Q. Last night when you left here, can you speak about what you did, when you got to sleep. Was it difficult to sort of come down off the night?

RAFAEL NADAL: Calm down? I'm very calm. (Laughter.) Seriously. I was upset when I went on court raining. That's upset for me, but I am a really quiet guy. Seriously, you know, I went to sleep earlier than ever, and finally I did. I slept at 11:00.

Q. Don't you think that players have some responsibility if situation is like this? Don't you think that already in the past the players should have done something to fight against a Super Saturday? They should have done something to avoid the first round that ends on Wednesday and all those kind of things? Because you have more power than you think, but you should be more united than you are. That's my opinion.

RAFAEL NADAL: Thank you.

Q. I want to know you, what you think about it.

RAFAEL NADAL: About?

Q. About all this, what I said.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think the players have a good union. We don't want to fight with nobody. We don't like the problems from yesterday. We like to be here. We like to be in good relationships with everybody. The problem is to change situations seems like for the right way is impossible. So probably we have to find another way.

Q. To just follow up on that, there are people...

RAFAEL NADAL: If you want to keep talking about that, you know, I am not feeling very comfortable, especially because sometimes the words can be too hard, but is for my English. My arguments can be less than usual for my English. So if you want to talk about next match, if you want to talk about, I am happy. But keep talking about that, for me in English will be tough. I said what I have to say, and I don't feel any more comfortable talking about that, especially because my English is not enough good to talk about that.

Q. Can you just say what kind of reaction you've gotten from other players who maybe weren't even here yesterday but heard what you and the Andys did?

RAFAEL NADAL: Everybody's agree. I think everybody's agree that these things have to change. We don't wanted in the past to change the situation without doing the right things. Was impossible talking. I have to talk with the players. We have to talk together at meetings and everything. But we have to fight stronger to have more power or, you know, I said before... (Spanish.) BENITO PEREZ: Representatives, feel that they have more power, more things to say so that they can be better represented.

Q. Would you address the topic of your next match, as you suggested, facing Andy Roddick? How would you describe that challenge for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: The match is not over. It's two sets to love, but David is back up. Andy is a fantastic player. He's having one of the best careers, being in the top players for, I don't know, 11 years, 10 years, 9 years. That's a lot. That's amazing. So I have big respect for Andy, especially he's very tough to be there for a long time and he did. So will be a big test for me if I play against him. Even if I play against David Ferrer. Quarterfinals, the matches must be very tough, and that's what's gonna happen, gonna be a very difficult match against Andy, against David, because that's the normal thing.

MariaV
09-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Adorable Rafa, the quiet person. :awww: :hearts: :inlove: Thanks Star! :hatoff:

Rafa vs RAndy 2nd on Ashe today. Let's hope they can play today. And men's final will be on Monday, AGAIN! :) :lol: Not good for TV but better for the players.

Arthur Ashe Stadium 12:00 PM Start Time
1. Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
John Isner (USA)[28] v. Andy Murray (GBR)[4]
2. Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Andy Roddick (USA)[21] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

bettybaby
09-09-2011, 10:36 PM
I know andy was off his game, but rafa looked impressive....here's hoping it he can go all the way!!!!!

Ben.
09-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Rafa giving me hope now :scared:

His attitude was very good today, ruthless, wanted to get off court as quick as he could and we saw some nice backhand passes and even FHs and BHs down the line. Looking much more confident.

Second semi tomorrow thankfully.

FlameOn
09-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Vamos!

star
09-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Rafa giving me hope now :scared:

His attitude was very good today, ruthless, wanted to get off court as quick as he could and we saw some nice backhand passes and even FHs and BHs down the line. Looking much more confident.

Second semi tomorrow thankfully.

I’m not sure why Rafa’s interview isn’t up yet. Andy said in his interview that Rafa was playing very aggressively.

Metis
09-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Nadal-Roddick 6-2 6-1 6-3

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Gustavo Kuerten
4th -
QF - Metis
F - Bjorki

Metis: hair-raising FAIL

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/5/16/b30e31d6-844c-4745-8b2c-36fd4ab4516b.gif (http://cheezburger.com/View/4768002304)

MariaV
09-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Ashe Stadium
12:00 PM Men's Singles - Semifinals
Novak Djokovic(SRB)[1] vs. Roger Federer(SUI)[3]

Not Before:2:45 PM Men's Singles - Semifinals
Andy Murray(GBR)[4] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

Edit. Yeah, Rafa the only one whose interview is not up. :o

Metis
Saturday, September 10

Arthur Ashe Stadium 12:00 PM

Men's Singles - Semifinals
Novak Djokovic (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpd643.html)(SRB)[1]vs. Roger Federer (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpf324.html)(SUI)[3]

Not Before:2:45 PM

Men's Singles - Semifinals
Andy Murray (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpmc10.html)(GBR)[4]vs. Rafael Nadal (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpn409.html)(ESP)[2]

Metis
Maria :lol:

MariaV
09-10-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm off now Metis :lol: :wavey:
Vamos to Rafa! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:
Rafa was really good yesterday but I would be happy with Murray in the final too. :)

Metis
09-10-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm off now Metis :lol: :wavey:
Vamos to Rafa! :rocker: :bounce: :bigclap:
Rafa was really good yesterday but I would be happy with Murray in the final too. :)

Of course you would, you picked SF. :(

born_on_clay
09-10-2011, 09:06 AM
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/6720/49828474.jpg

Foxy
09-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Nice progress for Rafa. Forehand down the line and backhand improved. No stupid UE. Return not bad, using block forehand always means business. If only he could serve faster. I like his chances against Murray.

Ben.
09-10-2011, 01:04 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=subnav&category=press

Rafa's press conference interview is up.

bettybaby
09-10-2011, 02:27 PM
very excited for today's matches!!!!

would love to see a nadal/fed final again.

star
09-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Interview for those too enervated to click on HatBoy’s link. :hug:

Q. For the second slam this year, the top four players in the world will play in the semifinals and into the finals. What does it say about that group of four, and how tough it is to break into that between the four of you guys?

RAFAEL NADAL: Seems like top four players are doing well. That's the thing. Top four are very solid today. The previous years, too, my opinion. For last few years top four players are very solid in almost every tournament. That's difficult to see that in the past because that's very difficult. Tennis is a very competitive sport. It's very difficult. In almost every tournament, the top four players be in the semifinals. So is I think is very good news for tennis.

Q. You're obviously very high up, but if you're in the 10s or the 20s and you're looking, you're thinking, I don't only have to topple Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray, I mean, that is a gauntlet to have to get through to win a tournament. How daunting do you think that is for the players that are lower ranked looking at that solid a group up there?

RAFAEL NADAL: You can ask them, :yeah: but the rest of the players win tournaments, too. We are not winning every week. But it's true in Grand Slams because is probably best of five. That's a little bit more time for us. We have a little bit this extra advantage, and we're doing well. I think the rest of the players feel that they can win, too, but that didn't happen this year. We'll soon see.

Q. You were aggressive today. Were you trying to think of keeping the match short?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I try my best. :hug: I don't think about having a short match in quarterfinals of a Grand Slam. I think about try to win the match. :yeah: I think I started the match really well with some very good points, few very good passing shots. Yeah, probably he was -- I ask him how was him, but he told me, I am fine. But I think he was tired because the match of yesterday. You know how tough is play best of five two days in a row, and he played against very difficult opponent like David yesterday. So is always a very hard match against him, and probably he was tired. You know, that happens when the rain comes. I think I did well. I did a very good match, I think.

Q. Do you think you have been getting better and better as the tournament has progressed?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I am playing well since the second round. Against Mahut I think I played a good match. Against Nalbandian, too. And for sure against Muller. Today I think I had another one. I am playing better. I'm very happy about this US Open. Doesn't matter -- well, doesn't matter. I will try my best to be in the final. But even if I lose tomorrow, I am happy about my US Open. :smash: Wasn't an easy situation for me coming to this tournament after having a not easy summer for me. I am doing a lot of things much better than few weeks ago. For me win is important, but feel myself very competitive and have the feeling that I can win is probably even more important. Because if you had that feeling that you can win, you don't win this week, maybe not next one, but at the end you will win. But with the feeling of Montreal and Cincinnati is different.

Q. How happy are you that the final has been pushed to Monday?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is important change, but I think is fair. Is a normal change. That's something really normal. If not, they have big risk to don't have the right final. Having one part of the draw playing four matches in a row, and normally there is tough matches there. They can put the final on Sunday, but is a big risk.

Q. Were you involved in discussions with the organizers about the schedule at all, about the change to Monday?

RAFAEL NADAL: About? No, no, no. I know that because they announced it two days ago or yesterday. Yesterday afternoon? No, I know that when I was at the hotel. I have nothing to say. I wasn't involved in nothing of that.

Q. They said that it was a collaboration between the players and the TV and the organizers. So do you know which players were involved, if any players were involved?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not mine. I wasn't there. After what happened at few days ago is normal they want to say a collaboration with the players, but I think was a meeting with the ATP what changed the situation. They feel that if they put the final on Sunday we are gonna keep talking. So that's probably why. And for one or for other reason, I think they did a good job.

Q. When you know Andy is hurting but he won't retire, he won't quit, do you appreciate that? How does that affect your approach?

RAFAEL NADAL: I will try my best. I don't know. He has a fantastic performance physically and he's strong mentally, so will be very difficult match for me tomorrow.

Q. How hungry are you to defend your title and win this last slam of the season with the passion that you describe?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am in semifinals and I'm happy with that. I will try my best to win that. I don't think about the title. I think about the match of tomorrow. Try to recover fast today, try to be in perfect condition for tomorrow at 2:45 to have a fantastic match of tennis and play my best tennis.

Q. How are you going to prepare for this tonight? What do you see yourself doing or not doing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Having dinner. (Smiling). Watching a film maybe. Nothing. Nothing special, no? I don't believe. What do you suggest? (Laughter.) I don't know. For me, just to sleep well, I don't know, have good rest. That's all. Nothing special.

Q. The players were very angry. Do you feel coming out of this slam you're confident that perhaps players can get together and make some real changes, or do you fear it's just going to be a bit a controversy here and then go away and nothing will change?

RAFAEL NADAL: I really hope not. I really hope the players will be together. We will fight to change that. We start to talk with each other, and is the right moment, I think.

Q. Andy Murray said he thinks it's a closer matchup between you two on hard courts than on clay or grass. Is that how you see it, too?

RAFAEL NADAL: If he's closer, he will beat me :smash: because clay was very close, and on hard especially -- on grass was very close match. He was beating me one set, and I remember important mistake with his forehand, was an easy forehand to do, to put 15-40 in the beginning of the second, so was close. Was really, really close match. He's fantastic player on all the surfaces and it will be a very tough match for me and hopefully for him, too. :hug:

star
09-10-2011, 03:58 PM
ueLUPWoH8Tk

MariaV
09-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks Star and hat_boy. LOL Rafa is simply too adorable - "well what do you suggest" and this smile.... :hearts: :inlove:

!VamosRafa!
09-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Well...Djokovic is in the final so byebye US Open 2011 for Rafa :sad:

Kishan
09-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Come on Rafael. Make it quick and put everything you have into the final.

Kishan
09-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Hmmmmmmm......Nadal if you're going to hit your forehand down the line, then hit it straight down the line and FLAT.

Kishan
09-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Well...Djokovic is in the final so byebye US Open 2011 for Rafa :sad:

I'm always going to believe in Nadal. I think you should too. :)

kevmanwilly
09-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Rafa is kicking Murray into touch! Usually I hate (and I mean HATE) Mondays (work) but to have a Novak/ Rafa maaaatch... wait! Murray just broke Rafa...

Heck, whoever wins, it'll be good in 2 nights time! I must say though, Rafa's fingers have more bandages on them than 'The Mummy'. They look like muslin-wrapped sausages!

FlameOn
09-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Vamos King Rafa! :bounce: Up 2 sets.

star
09-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Vamos King Rafa! :bounce: Up 2 sets.

:fiery:

FlameOn
09-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Vamos he won! :cheerleader:

Ben.
09-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Rafa, lovely on court interview :worship: The class gulf between Rafa and Djokovic coudln't be more evident today.

Great first set, always looking to attack when possible. Second set was just a Murray implosion, Rafa just had to watch the train wreck occur. After that he never returned to the mindset in the first. This left him doing far too much running, had him on court for an extra hour and was shite preperation for playing Djokovic. Toni: make sure he plays like he did in the first set please.

Regardless of the result on monday, he has done well to reach another GS final and continuing his dominance over Murray is important. Would be worse to lose to Murray here than lose to Djokovic a sixth time. Rafa has nothing to lose now and the only way to stop Djokovic's dominance is to beat him, as nice as it would have been to avoid him. He's done it 16 times, he can do it again. I'm just glad he can laugh about it.

FlameOn
09-11-2011, 01:25 AM
I shouldn't have doubted him so much :awww:.

!VamosRafa!
09-11-2011, 01:27 AM
I think even Rafa knows he doesn't stand a chance tomorrow :awww::hug:

I know it too so anything other than Rafa losing would be a shock. I'm not gonna lie to myself and get my hopes up :shrug:

A final is really great considering how he played in the USO Series :yeah:

Rafa, don't get too hard on yourself after the match, okay? :hug:

bettybaby
09-11-2011, 01:31 AM
there's no way i'm counting him out!!!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/bettybaby101/vaaaaaaaaaaaamos.gif

did anyone catch what he said after the win?????

star
09-11-2011, 04:07 AM
there's no way i'm counting him out!!!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/bettybaby101/vaaaaaaaaaaaamos.gif

did anyone catch what he said after the win?????

I’m sure it will be on You Tube soon. I’ll post it when I find it.

He was joking about losing to Djokovic and said maybe New York would help him to win.

Getta
09-11-2011, 10:59 AM
ETvTYmY5tHY

born_on_clay
09-11-2011, 11:35 AM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8472/83490633.jpg

star
09-11-2011, 01:14 PM
ETvTYmY5tHY

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

JolánGagó
09-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Rafalito :inlove:

Metis
09-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Nadal-Murray 6-4 6-2 3-6 6-2

How far will Rafa go at the USOpen? (2000 points :cheerleader:)

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Gustavo Kuerten
4th -
QF - Metis
F - Bjorki

born_on_clay, Commander_Data, hat_boy, JolanGago, MariaV, Minn, rafa_maniac, Rafaaah, shawshank, Xristos: Later gator :wavey:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/8/8/6d263cd5-ee03-4d25-aa11-9ae4e50b43ae.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/5066411008)

Metis
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Can't believe I didn't change my pick to F as I was thinking. :facepalm:

Now Bjorki will win and tie with me for first place. :mad:

star
09-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Can't believe I didn't change my pick to F as I was thinking. :facepalm:

Now Bjorki will win and tie with me for first place. :mad:

:smash:

No Rafa:angel: will win and save you!

star
09-11-2011, 11:28 PM

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Q. How does it feel to be going back to the final?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for sure is emotional day for me, you know, winning against one of the best players of the world and being in another final of the US Open. So is very, very special, especially because it's a final Grand Slam. That's the first thing. Second thing, I had a few tough moments this summer, and I think every day I wake up with big motivation, big illusion to practice and try my best at every moment, and finally I had a very positive result. I am playing very good level, I think every day better, and today I played my best match against a most difficult opponent.

Q. It's a repeat of last year's final. What similarities and differences do you think might be out there on Monday versus last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Similarities is we are the same players. Differences, last year I don't know if I had matches against him, but this year I lost last five matches against him, five finals. This will be the sixth. That's an advantage for him. He's obviously the favorite for the final, and I know I have to do something better than the other matches to try to change the situation. That's what I gonna try.

Q. Did you watch his match against Roger, or were you already focused?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I was watching the football and I was watching the match in the same time, yeah.

Q. What do you think of his game?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think he play fantastic later. The beginning Roger I think was playing very well. His serve was working really well and he was playing aggressive with his forehand. Was a little bit of mistake for Roger in beginning of the third, in my opinion. But after, he was very unlucky in the fifth, no? Matches like this, you lose one every lot of, lot of matches, and he lost one two in a row in this tournament, last year and this year. Probably was worse this year, because last year he had the match points but on the return. This year he had the match points with the serve. The return from Novak with the 40-15 was -- I don't have words to describe, because, you know, you hit a shot probably without thinking because you see the match total lost with 40-15 and serving for Roger. Is not a normal serve. Is one of the best serves of the world. He returned the ball with eyes closed. The ball went to the line. After, one mistake from Roger and the match changed completely. Hats off to Roger. I think he deserves to be in the final because it's hard lose two years in a row with a similar situation. But Novak this year is playing fantastic level mentally obviously, and he won few matches that in normal conditions he's supposed to lose. That's, yeah, big confidence.

Q. Will you have a new strategy Monday? How much are you looking forward to having tomorrow's day off that you really wanted?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I gonna do serve and volley. (Laughter.) You know, I have my game, and I beat him in the past playing my game. The thing is play my game very well and be enough strong mentally all the time, fight every ball, believe in the victory in every moment. That's something that for moments this year I didn't. But just play aggressive, try to play a similar match than last year here. I saw that match a lot of times and I know what I have to do, but I don't know if I gonna be able to do it. (Laughter.) So that's always the same.

Q. What about the Sunday off that you really, really seemed to want?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is beautiful have one day off after few days. It's fantastic. Only negative thing I going to arrive later to the Davis Cup semifinals. But for me be in a final of Grand Slam and have one day off in the middle I think is a very positive news for me, because I played three matches in a row.

Q. You have played Andy many times. You know how good a player he is. He keeps getting so close and can't quite win one of these things. How dispirited would you be if you were getting so close but couldn't quite win a major title?

RAFAEL NADAL: One player who is ready to play the third semifinal of the four Grand Slams the same year is completely unlucky don't win one. That's the true, no? So when you are in semifinals, when you are winning Masters 1000, the normal thing is win Grand Slams. So he's caring a little bit of unlucky in these kind of matches. I played very, very good match I this today, my best match here. That's a little bit of unlucky, too because he's ready to do it. I think if one player deserve to win a Grand Slam, Andy is the one. I seriously believe he gonna do it, and I really wish him all the best, because I really want to see him win a Grand Slam. When you win one, the second is easy. (Laughter.)

Q. He'll take one. Can you just talk about how Novak's two handed backhand comes back differently against your forehand as opposed to Roger or someone with a one handed backhand?

RAFAEL NADAL: Murray didn't have a bad backhand. Andy, the player that I played against today. He has fantastic cross backhand, too, very similar to Novak's. So that's nothing new for me. Didn't change a lot. If I play my good shot against his backhand, the forehand with topspin long, normally I will take advantage on the point. But I have to do it not one time. I have to do it 1000 times during the match. That's what I really have to do, and that's what I gonna try.

Q. At the start of your book, you say the hardest thing you have to do on court is to keep your mind quiet, and that Wimbledon is really hard because it's so silent there, so quiet at Wimbledon. Could you talk about performing on Ashe Stadium where it's so huge, so noisy. What is that like as a professional athlete?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every court is special. Every court is different. You have to understand the different situation and enjoy the different situations. I enjoy the tradition of Wimbledon. I enjoy the calm of the crowd. But for sure I enjoy a lot of passion from here, and the support from the fans was really important always. In Wimbledon I think I have huge support, but here, too. A lot of people here supporting me from two weeks and from few years ago. So I just can say thanks to them. Going out in a bigger tennis court of the world always is special, and that means playing in the center court of one of four Grand Slams. But I think the crowd is doing fantastic. Every feeling is different. Roland Garros is not the same than Wimbledon. Australia probably is a little bit more similar to here. But, you know, here we are here.

Q. Do you ever take a moment before or during the match at all to look up at the arena? It's such a huge, huge arena.

RAFAEL NADAL: When I go out and they say my name, I go out, I normally look around. That's the only moment really. The rest I am there. I don't look too high.

Q. At the end of your match on court you said a few things about 9/11 to the crowd and to New York. What prompted you to say that, and was that planned?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for sure I felt real bad. Is the really -- I don't know exactly how to say in English, but the image, what I remember from that moment is probably... (Through translation.) Unforgettable. So that was really fresh for me at that moment, because I have been there, in the top of the twin towers, four months before. I went here for holidays with my family. So I really didn't believe what's happened. So, yeah, that's a hard day for all the people here in New York tomorrow, all the people in America. But I think for all the people around the world, too, no? Because this kind of tragedy for everybody is hard to accept, hard to understand. I am not an exception. I felt much pain and I suffered, too.

Q. What city were you in?

RAFAEL NADAL: I was in Madrid. I was in Madrid. I was playing a tournament.

Q. You lost a lot of big matches to Novak this year. Before that, I think you were very good against him in big matches. What about him tennis wise has changed? What are you feeling from him on the court that wasn't there before?

RAFAEL NADAL: Probably his movements are better than before. He's having less mistakes than before. His level is similar, you know. You cannot have big change in one moment. He's playing with high confidence. Victories like today is big confidence for everybody. He's great to keep his mind fresh in important moments, fight every point. He's doing everything fantastic. I had to win one of the first two matches against him this year, the final of Indian Wells or the final of Miami. After that I felt favorite, a little bit more favorite than in the other places in the final of Wimbledon, because I think I played very well during all the tournament. Probably played my worst match against him. But when you are playing the worst match against him, and I was playing very well before. It's because he is doing something really well. I cannot just look at me, on my side. I have to look around a little bit more and understand why I didn't play that well. He's doing a few things very well. I am not very happy about my mental performance against him this year. That's true, no? Because for moments I didn't believe really 100% with the victory. That's big problem. Because when that's happening, you have your chances less, much less than if you believe. Because if you believe, you are running more, you are putting one more ball inside. So that was problem, and that's what I gonna try to change for Monday. If I'm not ready to change for Monday, I have a goal to do it for next year. So I am ready to work hard. I am ready to work my tennis, to work my mental part, and hopefully I will ready for Monday. That's what I would like. But if not, yeah, I really believe that I can come back next year and do it better.

Q. Was there ever any player -- I'm assuming Roger would be it -- where you didn't have that belief, like you didn't have against Novak this year, where you would have those moments? Were there other players where you had those same moments where you didn't have that belief?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, against Roger, few matches. Against Nalbandian in Bercy I didn't believe. And a fewer more times. That's something natural, no? Not an obsession. I'm a human and I have my doubts. Everybody have, no? So that's something really normal. But the most important thing for me is even if I wasn't ready to beat him this year before here, I keep fighting and keep being in finals even if I lose painful loses. But next week I was in final another time, and that's good. The mental performance was very positive in this way, not against him. But I was ready to recover and to put past, to forget the loses and keep fighting for the rest, for the next tournament. I happy about that, and not that happy the match against him, so I play against him and be happy with everything.

Q. In your book you described leading up to last year's US Open final. You were very complimentary of Djokovic. You basically said he had no real weaknesses. How does that affect your approach when you admit that Djokovic is solid throughout his game?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think he's very complete player. You have Novak in front and you say, How I can beat him? You know, the backhand is fantastic; the forehand is fantastic; the serve he's doing really well; the movements are probably the best of the world today. The only way to beat him is believe in the victory, play aggressive, and play every moment perfect. So that's what I have to try. My approach to the match is always the same: try my best in every moment and try to play my game very well.

Q. Andy said to me just a short time ago he felt the mood was a bit different because of the approach of this very sensitive anniversary tomorrow. A lot of New Yorkers will be silent at 8:46 and 9:03, the times when the planes impacted the Twin Towers. Just wondering, is that going to be part of your day tomorrow and whether it gives you a different perspective on tennis being here tomorrow at such a sensitive time?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.) I already say before, no? But tomorrow at this time I gonna be at the hotel. So, you know, I cannot do much. The only thing that I can say is all the support from the families of the victims for all the people here, from New York. You can have silence in memory of them, but the pain is done. It's difficult to accept, and the only way to -- you cannot do much. Just remember the moment and have the support for the families.

:)

JolánGagó
09-11-2011, 11:41 PM
interesting.

star
09-12-2011, 12:07 AM
SveBzmFK-Ro

Edda
09-12-2011, 01:43 AM
Good luck tomorrow, Rafa!

Star,

Your avatar is really cute!

bettybaby
09-12-2011, 03:48 AM
thanks for the vids!!!!

i also remember this from last year, post-win!!!! :bigclap::bigclap::bigclap::bigclap::bigclap:

so adorbs <3

[...]On court after his semifinal victory on Saturday, on a brilliant blue-skied day that eerily recalled another Sept. 11, Nadal made a point of addressing the lingering pain of that day. He later acknowledged his annual pilgrimages to Ground Zero - something most of the public and press were never privy to. In a time of famously self-centered athletes with limited interests, for years Nadal ventured to lower Manhattan each time he came to New York, but he never invited publicity. He went because he wanted to pay his respects.[...]

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2010-09-13/201009121284327947660.html

i'm having a love-fest. :yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee:

MariaV
09-12-2011, 08:20 AM
After Serena losing the women's final I don't really dare to say anyting about the final today. :tape: :tape: :ignore:

Foxy
09-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Vamos, RAFA! Be fired up today, Nobody can take you down at the moment!

bettybaby
09-12-2011, 12:32 PM
After Serena losing the women's final I don't really dare to say anyting about the final today. :tape: :tape: :ignore:

i'm waiting for more Déjà Vu....this has been a surreal open :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

although gotta say, i like it thus far :worship:

&&love the title update :p

FlameOn
09-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Be strong Rafa and play your best you can do this! :bounce:

MM_1257
09-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I am scared for tonight...

Ben.
09-12-2011, 03:22 PM
As long as Rafa keeps his head and doesn't carry on his trend of losing sets by one break, being broken in his final service game, I don't mind the score. He really didn't seem too bothered at the prospect of losing a sixth time in a row so I'm optimistic he at least will stay in the match mentally. I don't think he puts as much pressue on himself here as RG/Wimbledon, so should he lose hopefully he wont take it as hard. He looked pretty devestated after Wimby.

ImmzB
09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Vamos Rafa!! All the best today, Inshallah you will take the title! Vamos! :rocker2:

Foxy
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Look from the brighter side, folks. Since Daddy Feds had 2 match points against the Djoke why shouldn't Rafazilla have 2 of his own. He is not going to screw them. :) VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!

!VamosRafa!
09-12-2011, 08:48 PM
The story of their matches this year- Rafa missing a lot of great opportunities :shrug:

Rafa work on that serve and bh :sobbing:

Novak is so winning this :awww:

!VamosRafa!
09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Rafa just can't win games that are going to deuce :tape:

From 2-0 Rafa to 3-2 Nole with a break :sobbing:

He is in Rafa's head...

FlameOn
09-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Oh Rafa :bigcry:. We still love you :hug:.

rafa_maniac
09-13-2011, 12:58 AM
You'll always have my support loserass :hug:

Ben.
09-13-2011, 01:08 AM
He gave it everything and finally broke through those mental constrictions, for a while at least, which is all I asked. Plus he has never gone down in straights in a major final :worship:

He showed he knows what to do, hopefully he can work on consistancy by 2012. Oh and one last "fuck you" to Federer for not doing your good pal Rafa a favour :lol:

Edda
09-13-2011, 04:05 AM
My heart is broken for Rafa once again. I think the best performance by a member of the Armada was Juanqui's win over Gael Monfils.

I, for one, was happy for Samantha Stosur for winning the Open. Serena is a bad sport, to put it mildly. Stosur came back from incredible odds to win the Open, recovering from a two-pronged assault of Lyme disease and viral meningitis.

Björki
09-13-2011, 06:36 AM
2000 points :D

Rafa :awww: :hug:

Foxy
09-13-2011, 07:17 AM
I am really satisfied at least Rafa broke Djokovic down physically. Djokovic was hardly able to move after the match. That is a step forward as in previous matches Rafa struggled physically. Next match will be a lot different.

MM_1257
09-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Djokovic hardly moved, yet he was perfect in set 4? I do not buy the acting on ATP anymore.

Stosur... yeah, she did go through a lot, but let's not forget Serena was on death bed too. Plus Petrova also overcame viral meningitis (or was it bacterial? not sure anymore). They all have won mini-bettles in life and health-wise. Wish them all the best.

star
09-13-2011, 02:56 PM
:worship: :worship:

Monday, September 12, 2011

Q. At any time was fatigue a factor in the match today?

RAFAEL NADAL: At the fourth. But, it was a tough match. Physical, mental, everything was, yeah, I think it was a quality match. Congratulations for him. He did great.

Q. Did it put you out of your rhythm at all, the long timeout he took after the first game of the fourth set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry?

Q. Did it knock you out of your rhythm when he took the long injury timeout after the first game of the fourth set after you had just won the tiebreak?

RAFAEL NADAL: We are starting the press conference in a bad way, I think. (Smiling.) :angel: Let’s talk about the match. :angel: It's not the right moment to find excuses if he stops the match there or if I was tired. I fighted until the last point. :hug: I tried my best in every moment. I am happy with a lot of things, much happier than the previous matches against him. :hug: In another things I'm not that happy. But in general I think he did great, no? I had my chances. I really had my chances. At the beginning of the first I had two games to love. The first set was playing really the well beginning, and I lost a little bit the way how to play and lost a little bit the rhythm. Happened the same in the second set. You know, with that very, very long game, finally I had a mistake with the smash. So few tough points for me during the match. He's doing well. He always did well in these kind of surfaces. I always had big trouble to beat him here in this surfaces in the past. It's not an exception now, especially because he's doing better than ever. But you know what? I go back home knowing that I am on the way. You know, I like to fight, I want to enjoy about this battle against him. :rocker2: Six straight loses, for sure that's painful. But I'm going to work every day until that changes. So I have a goal, easy goal for me now. It's going to be tough to change the situation, but the goal is easy to see. To have a goal always you know how to work every day.

Q. Were you gaining some hope when you saw his back was hurting?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. My hope always is about myself, not about the opponent. :worship:

Q. Rafa, has Novak Djokovic taken tennis to an even higher level? Please talk about this incredible year that he's had and what that means.

RAFAEL NADAL: I already said one hundred times. I don't know if he's bringing tennis to another level. For sure this season he's doing fantastic. His level is really, really high. But when one very good player stays with that confidence and winning so many matches. And the matches that he normal win and the matches that you can win, you can lose, and you keep winning, and the matches you have a big chance to lose you keep winning, the season is probably impossible to repeat. That's why. His level for sure is fantastic. He's doing very well mentally everything. So just accept that. Accept the challenge and work.

Q. What made Novak's return of serve so effective tonight? What was the mental challenge for you of facing break points so many times?

RAFAEL NADAL: His return is fantastic always, not this year. Seems like this year, you know, he learned a lot of things, and in my opinion it's not like this. He's doing few things better, but he was fantastic player before. And second thing, my serve worked bad tonight. That's the true. If I have to say two things about I'm not happy tonight, it's my serve for sure the first one. Because if my serve works really well, I know I have the challenge, the mental challenge for sure. Losing six times affects in the match, and you have to know that. And I know. I was ready for that. So accept everything, to fight every ball, and that's what I did. So I'm happy about that. But I didn't have free points during all that games. I didn't have not one free point in both sets. A few moments that you are tired and the few moments you really need something, I never had these free points. Last year I had; I didn't have this year. That change a lot the match. My serve has to come back to another level.

Q. What did you like about the way you played tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: I liked especially my mental part. :worship: In the second set, for moments in the third set, all the set, having tough moments, but keep fighting and keep trying to find solutions. The fourth, even if he was very bad from the back, I was very tired. That's the true, no? But for the rest, I think I started to play aggressive, a little bit more inside the court, and changing a little bit the directions with the forehand. When I go inside you had more chances to change the forehand to down the line. I felt he was tired, too. But, you know, I have to take something in the first or the second set. I have to take some advantage there, and I didn't, because it's normal if you didn't take advantage when you have to take advantage. After for sure I fighted a lot, I ran unbelievable in the fourth set. So during one match like this, very hard mentally and physically, you do this. You go up and down. So was a little bit normal. The first game of the fourth was really important. I had the deuce and I tried to play aggressive forehand. It was out like this. So that was a tough moment, because starting the fourth with 1 0 break I had the chance, and I felt that was at moment. But after, you know, he called the trainer I played a so so game. It was very important game to save the second, because after I came back to the place with the wind with me, it was tough game, that one.

Q. You were changing the pace, slicing the ball deep to him at the baseline. He made some unforced errors when you sliced the ball deep. Were you sensing that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I tried to play a little bit more to the middle. I tried to change a little bit the rhythms with the slice.

Q. Seemed to be effective at times.

RAFAEL NADAL: You feel? (Laughter.) :lol: :lol:

Q. I thought so. As you point out, he's always had a great return and probably a great forehand. What do you think he's improved this year the most in his shots that has brought him to this level? Serve or...

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. I think he's always ready to -- he's having less mistakes than before. In my opinion, that's all. He's enough confident in every moment to keep believing in one more ball, one more ball. So that's why. I think his forehand is not more painful than before; his backhand is not more painful than before; he serve the same. So what I have to say is what I feel and what I told you.

Q. How do you look about Grand Slam result this year? Are you satisfied?

RAFAEL NADAL: About the Grand Slams?

Q. Yeah. You won Roland Garros but you could not win Wimbledon and the US Open.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't feel any obligation to win the tournament. That's the true, no? I am not that one that feels that the final is a bad result. I don't consider myself that good, you know. :sad: I fight to be always there. I fight all the time to win every match. I appreciate the result. Final is fantastic result. Winning ten Grand Slams this year I won another one, Roland Garros. I lost six finals, but I was there. So, you know, it's smart accept the loses with the same calm as the victories, and keep working without thinking on the past. I was in the final of Wimbledon, final of US Open. I fighted both of them, especially this one. I go back to Spain more happy today than after the Wimbledon final, because after here I think I am on the right way to try to win him. After Wimbledon I didn't feel that. That's it. He was good. He did really well. Last year I won three Grand Slams; this year I won one. I played three finals, and I think I played the last six, eight Grand Slams I played around semifinals. So for me is a fantastic result. It's a dream result.

Q. That long game in the second set, I think game three, how deflating was that on your serve to not come out of that when you put the overhead in the net?

RAFAEL NADAL: I keep fighting. I fighted a lot to come back in the second. I was ready to accept the challenges and to accept the problems. The problem is, I told you, I didn't have free points. The serve didn't help me. I didn't start the points with an advantage tonight with my serve. That's a lot. So I don't think I need an ace or a winner serve, because I think I have enough good forehand later to have the control of the point. But a lot of times I started the point in the worst position than him when I was serving. So that's tough.

Mimi
09-14-2011, 02:10 AM
woke up at 5:30 am and seeing poor Rafa trailing 2:6 2:3 with Nole serving, i thought he was sure to lose and turned off the tv with sadness

but i still have faith on Rafa and turned on the computer to check the scores at 7 am, assuming that the match was over, but rafa gave me a little bit of hope by winning the 3rd set. then oh god, i read that many of you said Nole could hardly moved in the 4th set, so how come rafa lost badly with 1:6, was he more tired than Nole??!! :bigcry:

if so, now Nole is better than Rafa in every department: including mental toughness and fitness too!!! :hysteric:

I am devastated, but I still love you, Rafa, you are already a legend with 10 slams. I will always support you.

to think deeply, though he only won 1 slam, but he reached the finals of the other two, only to lose to the magical Nole, its not that bad.

keep the faith, don't abandon Rafa. Those who leave him when he is having bad time are worst than his haters :wavey:

vamosssss Rafa :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Castafiore
09-14-2011, 07:27 AM

<...>

Q. Did it put you out of your rhythm at all, the long timeout he took after the first game of the fourth set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sorry?

Q. Did it knock you out of your rhythm when he took the long injury timeout after the first game of the fourth set after you had just won the tiebreak?

RAFAEL NADAL: We are starting the press conference in a bad way, I think. (Smiling.) Let’s talk about the match.
:yeah: Excellent dodging of a reporter looking for a quote.

It's not an exception now, especially because he's doing better than ever. But you know what? I go back home knowing that I am on the way. You know, I like to fight, I want to enjoy about this battle against him. Six straight loses, for sure that's painful. But I'm going to work every day until that changes. So I have a goal, easy goal for me now. It's going to be tough to change the situation, but the goal is easy to see. To have a goal always you know how to work every day.
He came across as rather devastated after Wimbledon. That match was much harder, for me as a fan, to follow than the US Open final. He had more fight in him in this match and he seemed to be in a much more positive frame of mind now than after Wimbly.
Of course, I don't like to see him lose but it's much easier to witness for me if I know that he went down fighting. He was not fully there in Wimbledon. Very odd match, that.

I do hope that he really loves the mightly challenge that Novak has been throwing at his feet.

Q. Were you gaining some hope when you saw his back was hurting?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. My hope always is about myself, not about the opponent.
Excellent dodging again.

Castafiore
09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
From The New York Times

Editorial

The Spirit of the Game

Published: September 13, 2011

Gracious losers, and winners, are, sadly, rare in professional sports. Rafael Nadal’s performance Monday night, after losing this year’s United States Open, was the very essence of graciousness and a reminder of what good sportsmanship really means.

Dominant Victory in Dominant Year (September 13, 2011) On court, Mr. Nadal plays a relentless, slashing game. Off court, he is nearly always polite and soft-spoken. He had to be deeply tired and frustrated after losing the championship to Novak Djokovic in four grueling sets — his sixth straight loss to his rival. But at the postmatch press conference, Mr. Nadal refused to make excuses or look to blame anyone but himself.

When reporters opened by asking about a medical timeout Mr. Djokovic had taken, Mr. Nadal said, “We are starting the press conference in a bad way, I think. It’s not the right moment to find excuses.” When he was asked whether Mr. Djokovic’s evident back pain gave Mr. Nadal hope during the match, he said, simply, “My hope is always about myself, not about the opponent.” As for any future Nadal-Djokovic matches, he said, “It’s going to be tough to change the situation, but the goal is easy to see.”

It was moving to watch a man who had played with so much heart also speak with so much heart. His praise for Mr. Djokovic, who is having one of the greatest seasons ever, was generous and accurate. But the thing of beauty — and the very ethic behind his game — was the self-recognition in Mr. Nadal’s words, the sense of his personal responsibility for what happens to him on the court. It can be summed up in one of his own phrases, uttered with a terse eloquence: “Accept the challenge, and work.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/14/opinion/the-spirit-of-the-game.html?_r=2

Mimi
09-14-2011, 10:17 AM
great words:

accept the challenge and work :bigclap:

we love Rafa :hearts: :hearts: :cheerleader:

FlameOn
09-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I can't believe a player such as Rafa only has 160 posts in his USO cheering thread. :confused: Nole's had over 2000 :unsure:.

FlameOn
09-14-2011, 10:27 AM
keep the faith, don't abandon Rafa. Those who leave him when he is having bad time are worst than his haters :wavey:

vamosssss Rafa :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

This is so right. After all he's given his fans for so many years, is a bit of support so hard to ask for? :confused:

Mimi
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I can't believe a player such as Rafa only has 160 posts in his USO cheering thread. :confused: Nole's had over 2000 :unsure:.

some have abandoned him like your friend sokk :shrug:

as for me, I am superstitous. I once posted in these cheering threads before he finally won the title and he lost eventually. So I told myself only to post after he won so as not to jinx him :tape:

may be I am too superstituous, he still lost us open even though I did not post in this thread, may be i gonna change :tears:

FlameOn
09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
some have abandoned him like your friend sokk :shrug:

as for me, I am superstitous. I once posted in these cheering threads before he finally won the title. So I told myself only to post after he won so as not to jinx him :tape:

may be I am too superstituous, he still lost us open even though I did not post in this thread, may be i gonna change :tears:

Yeah it's a shame about Maria.

Superstitions are silly I think :p.

star
09-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Rafa fans on this forum don’t’ cheer in the tournament thread, but in the chat thread instead. :shrug:

as for me, I am superstitous. I once posted in these cheering threads before he finally won the title. So I told myself only to post after he won so as not to jinx him :tape:

:hug: :kiss: :hug: :lol: :p

star
09-14-2011, 04:58 PM
OyNkzj8DyDk

born_on_clay
09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2954/finalyu.jpg

born_on_clay
09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I just love Rafa's attitude :)

Mimi
09-15-2011, 01:20 AM
I just love Rafa's attitude :)

yeah, he didn't give up, thats great :bigclap:

Mimi
09-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Rafa fans on this forum don’t’ cheer in the tournament thread, but in the chat thread instead. :shrug:

:hug: :kiss: :hug: :lol: :p

thanks star :kiss:, my typo, I meant I once posted in cheering thread and he lost, so i didn't post afterwards :tape:

star
09-15-2011, 01:24 AM
thanks star :kiss:, my typo, I meant I once posted in cheering thread and he lost, so i didn't post afterwards :tape:

I understood. :)

Edda
09-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Rafa is a very kind and decent man. I wish him all the best in Davis Cup this week!

Metis
10-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Better late than never :shrug:

Nadal-Djokovic 2-6 4-6 7-6 1-6

How far will Rafa go at the USOpen? (2000 points :cheerleader:)

1st -
2nd -
3rd - Gustavo Kuerten
4th -
QF - Metis
F - Bjorki

acionescu, Edda, Foxy, Getta, tennizen, Topspindoctor: this is what you achieved in this tournament (making a hole in the water as we say in Greece :lol:)

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/epic-fail-photos-pool-location-fail1.jpg

Bjorki: the sole winner of this tournament and of its 2000 points (:()

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/8/4/cf50f196-259c-4e72-8f16-c9a1150d37a2.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/3828261376)