Mardy's "Tough Love" Thread! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mardy's "Tough Love" Thread!

tangerine_dream
10-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey guys :banana:

I thought maybe we could start a chit chat thread in here because there's something that's been on my mind and I don't know where else to post it. :)

You know the band FINGER ELEVEN and their beautiful, mournful-sounding song, "One Thing"? (if not, here's a link (http://sg1.allmusic.com/cg/smp.dll?link=rfvxrkvr1ul6y8fwpclxihi&r=20.asx) where you can hear part of the tune)

Well, I don't know how it came into being but every time I hear this song on the radio, I always end up thinking about Mardy, and I have no idea why! :scared: I don't know if maybe I heard the song after watching a Mardy match and connected them together, but I find it very difficult to think of anything else but Mardy when this song plays.

The odd thing is that the lyrics doesn't seem to really "match" with anything that has to do with Mardy. Here are the lyrics. I don't even know what the song's supposed to be about. :lol:

ONE THING

Restless tonight
Cause I wasted the light
Between both these times
I drew a really thin line
It’s nothing I planned
And not that I can
But you should be mine
Across that line

If I traded it all
If I gave it all away for one thing
Just for one thing
If I sorted it out
If I knew all about this one thing
Wouldn’t that be something

I promise I might
Not walk on by
Maybe next time
But not this time

Even though I know
I don’t want to know
Yeah I guess I know
I just hate how it sounds

--------

Anyway, I just wanted to get this off my chest because it's been bugging me. Maybe some of you also hear a song on the radio that reminds you of Mardy. And then I won't feel so bad. ;)

Deboogle!.
10-11-2004, 01:30 AM
:scared:

:bolt:

tangerine_dream
10-11-2004, 02:17 AM
Gee, thanks for your support Debs :ras: :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
10-11-2004, 02:31 AM
Awww you know I'm just teasing you :hug::hug:

I actually don't know that song at all, but I can see how the lyrics would kinda maybe remind you about Mardy lol

But actually for me, listening to music is usually the one part of the day when my mind is totally clear... so songs don't typically remind me of other people - only sometimes things that actually happened to me where a particular song played a role (y'know, like boys and stuff;))

Aleksa's Laydee
10-12-2004, 08:20 AM
hmmm i feel left out...being from england :sad:

but one thing for sure is...school sucks :yeah:

tangerine_dream
10-12-2004, 09:19 PM

LOL. Well that's a universal topic everyone can relate to. ;)

I actually miss my college days, though. Those were some great, fun times. :smoke: Who knew you could have so much fun with so little money? :D

Éowyn
10-13-2004, 01:56 AM
tangy i can't say that song reminds me off him no! the chris moyles version of addicted to bass which was addicted to plaice reminds me of mardy just coz of the "fishy wishy" line lols

not a big fan of finger eleven i saw them supporting evanescences twice and thought they sucked! they had their levels all wrong and then when they did get them fixed they were just bad, i was dead disappointed coz i was expecting them to be dead good!

hmmm i feel left out...being from england :sad:

hey i'm from england too!

tangerine_dream
10-18-2004, 09:20 PM
ok, you know what? I'm changing the title of this thread. This is now the Official Bash Mardy Thread. You heard right. He deserves it. After getting bageled by Mario in the first set at Madrid. In sixteen minutes, no less! Pfffttttt :ras: :banghead: :smash: :mad: :rolleyes:

Leave your Mardy rants here. :fiery: :shout:

Deboogle!.
10-18-2004, 10:20 PM
but he WON!

Aleksa's Laydee
10-18-2004, 10:21 PM
hey i'm from england too!

Ooopss Hiya :D

tangerine_dream
10-18-2004, 10:25 PM
:woohoo: Mardy actually came back from the dead and WON!!!! Wow! :eek: He doesn't do that often! I'm impressed. OK, I take back my bash but still---he shouldn't have been bageled in 16 minutes. A most impressive comeback, Mardy! :D :worship:

Éowyn
10-18-2004, 10:34 PM
maybe the thread should be mardy you suck until you're the underdog then you kick ass!

bjorkfish - yes don't forget lil ole englishme too! did i make that av?

ataptc
10-19-2004, 03:40 AM
lol at the title! but :woohoo: he won! still i agree he shouldnt have been bageled :mad: but since he won, we have forgiven him right :p

Kiara
10-19-2004, 09:28 AM
this reverse psychology thing you're doing seems to be working :yeah:

Aleksa's Laydee
10-19-2004, 09:47 AM
maybe the thread should be mardy you suck until you're the underdog then you kick ass!

bjorkfish - yes don't forget lil ole englishme too! did i make that av?

Hehe you did....I'm siobhan on mardytennis.com :wavey: (hope u dont mind me using it :scared: )

Aleksa's Laydee
10-19-2004, 09:49 AM
his first bagel in his career!! i gotta say it was impressive bagel :clap2:

Deboogle!.
10-19-2004, 02:23 PM
that wasn't the first time Mardy's been bageled... far from it...I could look them all up but I wont. but I know he was bageled by Roger at halle earlier this year, and he was also bageled by Ferreira in his famous AO '03 TOTAL MELTDOWN, and maybe even by Jan-Mike in the Delray final he was in...and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Kiara
10-19-2004, 04:17 PM
by guga in Monte Carlo....the list goes on :o and im sure he's been bageled once or twice in qualies as well

Aleksa's Laydee
10-19-2004, 05:30 PM
hmmm ooo wait first time hes been bagelled by ancic ;) and first time ancic has bagelled someone ;)

Aleksa's Laydee
10-19-2004, 05:31 PM
mardy really is a pillack sometimes...had 30-0 and then lost his serve and is 2-0 down now...bagel bagel :haha:

Aleksa's Laydee
10-19-2004, 07:14 PM
OMFG what a big PILLACK!!! 1-6 6-3 6-7 when he was 5-3 in the 3rd set and served for the match AND had MPS!

Bloody Idiot :rolleyes: :fiery:

tangerine_dream
10-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Mardy had 2 MPs in the third set and blew it in classic Mardy Fish-style :fiery:

God, he sucks, so sick of him and his :bs: choking :smash: :shout: worthless %$%#$@ :mad: idiot :ras:

Deboogle!.
10-19-2004, 07:26 PM
oh, my god. He served for the match!!!???? This is really getting ridiculous.

tangerine_dream
10-19-2004, 07:36 PM
I knew this thread would come in handy

friggin' Mardy :mad: http://thepostingplace.com/forums/images/smilies/irked.gif :ras: http://thepostingplace.com/forums/images/smilies/bitchin.gif :bigcry: http://thepostingplace.com/forums/images/smilies/asshole.gif http://thepostingplace.com/forums/images/smilies/arg.gif :tape:

rue
10-19-2004, 08:02 PM
Its disappointing but I don't all think that he sucks. It is just hard to understand how he sometimes loses matches like this one, or he is loses the first set badly then he all of a sudden picks things up. He needs to figure out what the problem is, maybe next year will be a better year for him. I really hope so.

I think with Mardy it mainly is a mental thing more than anything. He needs to win a more tournaments in order to get mentally stronger or he will always he considered to be an underachiever.

Deboogle!.
10-19-2004, 08:10 PM
It's absolutely mental, rue, I totally agree with you there. I think it also stems from his lack of pristine physical condition, too, because he can't be 100% sure of himself in tight moments.

I just can't believe he couldn't even serve out the match. That's BAD!

Éowyn
10-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Hehe you did....I'm siobhan on mardytennis.com :wavey: (hope u dont mind me using it :scared: )

lols no problems thats what they're there for! i was just having one of those things where i was looking at it thinking i'm sure i made that. but sometiems people make similar things to mine and i actually went on my site and looked to see if it was mine or not lols!

Jennay
10-19-2004, 09:24 PM
:banghead: :shout:

snaillyyy
10-19-2004, 11:48 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :ignore: :speakles: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: one of the finest displays of choking...He really needs some serious help with the mental part of his game.

Deboogle!.
10-20-2004, 12:06 AM
he needs a new coach.

I am CONVINCED this is a problem for him. I've seen him and Kelly practice together and it just doesn't seem like a productive relationship. They're too buddy-buddy.

Éowyn
10-20-2004, 01:39 AM
well he's had ALOT of coaches I think he needs to choose one coach and stick to it

Deboogle!.
10-20-2004, 04:30 AM
What are you talking about? he's been with Kelly for over 2 years.

Kiara
10-20-2004, 06:34 AM
choking dog!!:fiery: how do you expect to play s/v tennis when you're about as agile and athletic as a water buffalo, hire a trainer and hit the gym you tub of lard! then hire a shrink :retard:

and maybe it's time to bin the coach too *sigh*

does anyone know why he's not on the commitments list for stockholm :confused:

Aleksa's Laydee
10-20-2004, 09:26 AM
does anyone know why he's not on the commitments list for stockholm :confused:

Coz hes stupid??!? and hes gonna lose MORE points.... :rolleyes:

snaillyyy
10-20-2004, 10:21 AM
He has decided to play the St. Petersburg tournament instead of Stockholm.

rue
10-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Well, he might need a new coach, but at the same time it really is up to him to decide what he wants to do. He knows what he needs to do in order to get to where he wants to. It is just a matter of time before we either will see that from him or it just may never happen, but I think it will happen sooner or later once it hits him that things really could not possibly go on like this forever.

Deboogle!.
10-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Kiara!! LOL!!!!!

I dunno, I just feel like when you hit this kind of a slump in your career, you have to change something. But the thing is, he and Kelly seem so close. and Kelly seems like a wicked good guy... but yeah. And obviously when it's 5-4 and you're serving out a match, it's not the coach's fault. but :shrug: it just seems like it might be time

I don't know why Mardy decided on St. Petersburg instead, but it might be worth even more points than Stockholm so as long as it's playing it doesn't matter. Stockholm points actually come off this week I think so his ranking is gonna drop on Monday I think :scared:

Kiara
10-20-2004, 07:04 PM
He has decided to play the St. Petersburg tournament instead of Stockholm.

ah ok ok, thanks

It's strange that he wouldnt defend his title but I dont think he'd have much success with that inanycase, way to save face Mardy :yeah:

I actually think this is a good move on his part. Compared with Stockholm St.Petersburg has a weaker field, he'll have more of a chance to regain some of his lost points, and St. Petersburg is worth more points anyway. Plus St. Pete's is on carpet and it's better preparation for Bercy, he probably figured it's about time he won a match on carpet :D

whatever... just dont lose in the first round ok Mardy :wavey:

Éowyn
10-20-2004, 07:15 PM
What are you talking about? he's been with Kelly for over 2 years.

yes but he has had ALOT of coaches! he kept switching coaches all through his juniors and before he hooked up with kelly, he's been with loads before settling on kelly, give the guy a chance not all coaches are gonna get things turned around as quick as brad did with andy. and what mardy needs is not a coach it's shrink to get his head straight! :rolleyes:

Éowyn
10-20-2004, 07:18 PM
Stockholm points actually come off this week I think so his ranking is gonna drop on Monday I think :scared:

only on entry system his race position won't changemuch and the whoel of teh race is actually pretty close between 20 and 50 it's a weird year this year one decent tournament run and you get a huge leap!

Kiara
10-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Kiara!! LOL!!!!!

I dunno, I just feel like when you hit this kind of a slump in your career, you have to change something. But the thing is, he and Kelly seem so close. and Kelly seems like a wicked good guy... but yeah. And obviously when it's 5-4 and you're serving out a match, it's not the coach's fault. but :shrug: it just seems like it might be time

I don't know why Mardy decided on St. Petersburg instead, but it might be worth even more points than Stockholm so as long as it's playing it doesn't matter. Stockholm points actually come off this week I think so his ranking is gonna drop on Monday I think :scared:

Kelly is a swell dude he'd make a fantastic rec coach but I really really think he's given Mardy all he has to offer, after a certain point your game stops evolving and you stop and progressing, maybe it's time for a change. I know they have a teriffic relationship and see eye to eye on alot of things but im not sure if kelly has what it takes in terms of technical knowledge and aptitude to lift mardy's game to another level, the same thing happened with Brad Stine, there was only so far Brad could take him :shrug:

I could be completely wrong about this but anyway I dont think we're going to see any coaching changes anytime soon, these two have clicked for life it seems. Maybe all he needs is a little self confidence

and yeah Stockholm points drop off this week :eek:

Kiara
10-20-2004, 07:33 PM
only on entry system his race position won't changemuch and the whoel of teh race is actually pretty close between 20 and 50 it's a weird year this year one decent tournament run and you get a huge leap!
The race doesnt matter that much what he needs is to get back into the top 20 and stop getting such shitty draws

Kiara
10-20-2004, 08:02 PM
yes but he has had ALOT of coaches! he kept switching coaches all through his juniors and before he hooked up with kelly, he's been with loads before settling on kelly, give the guy a chance not all coaches are gonna get things turned around as quick as brad did with andy. and what mardy needs is not a coach it's shrink to get his head straight! :rolleyes:

there are other people who go through coaches quicker than most people go through toilet roll *cough* Marat *cough*
Mardy has had as many coaching changes as just about anyone else, I think straight out of the juniors he was coached by Brad Stine, Jim Couriers ex coach, till mid 2002. Then he hired kelly i really dont know much about his junior career but I doubt he's had many, which if he did wouldnt be so unusual. I think Brad was who emphasised on the importance of his serve to his game plus he did alot to alter his mindset he changed his outlook on competing, he put some grit into Mardy's game.

snaillyyy
10-21-2004, 12:26 AM
Amanda I can always count on you when I need a laugh :hug: :haha: :haha:

-sOfia-
10-21-2004, 12:41 AM
wtf! :sobbing:

Mardy chokes again..
and now Daniela chokes :sobbing:

whhyyyy do my faves have to choke occasionally :sad::sobbing:

Deboogle!.
10-21-2004, 03:20 AM
I could be completely wrong about this but anyway I dont think we're going to see any coaching changes anytime soon, these two have clicked for life it seems. Maybe all he needs is a little self confidence

Yes this is the impression I've gotten from the couple of times I saw them practice in Houston earlier this year. They seem like friends, not coach-pupil. A very stark difference between people like Red and Tommy Haas and Andy and Brad. The latter two pairs, to me, had a better balance of friend/coach than Mardy and Kelly

and yeah Stockholm points drop off this week :eek:

Byebye Mardy's ranking!

The race doesnt matter that much what he needs is to get back into the top 20 and stop getting such shitty draws

Yes but.. he's had some favorable draws. His draws at both Wimby and USO weren't all that bad. He lost a very very winnable match (well obviously since he had match points and served for it) at Madrid this week, and the list goes on. Yes he's had some tough draws but the losses he has had have been ridonculous. He wanted to raise his ranking this year and it's just dropped all year long. Horrific.

rue
10-21-2004, 02:38 PM
This year really has been a bad year for him considering what he did accomplish last year. Hopefully he does improve his ranking next year and potentially finish in the top ten if he works hard for it. At the same time, it depends on how much he really does want to be up there. It is all about wanting it so bad that you would do just about anything to get yourself where you want to be even if you may not have all the answers.

tangerine_dream
10-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Ok, I'm changing the thread title again. :) This one's not quite as, eh, forceful as the other one was. ;) And it's also more accurate: we prescribe tough love to Mardy, because we care so much and desperately want to see him succeed. :hug:

martirogi
11-01-2004, 03:02 AM
how about the "we love mardy, but he crazy" thread