Rubik's cube and other puzzles [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rubik's cube and other puzzles

Lopez
08-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Anyone else like to solve the Rubik's Cube now and again? I learned to solve the standard 3 by 3 by 3 a few years back and now I'm learning the 5x5x5. I enjoy that one more since it's less about algorithms and more about deduction.

In general, I enjoy solving puzzles and brain teasers whenever I have free time from playing sports or studying.

Anyone else enjoy puzzles? :)

WarriorA
08-20-2011, 01:28 AM
Yes :D I love puzzles, brain teasers, board games, etc. I love logic grid puzzles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_puzzle) in particular.

Rubik's Cube I'm not good at. I can only solve the triangle-shaped one.

buddyholly
08-20-2011, 02:25 AM
Right now I am into ''Greater Than, Killer Soduko'' , mindbending level. They fence off some blocks in the grid and tell you the total of the digits in some of the boxes. Other blocks are just marked as totalling > or < a neighbouring block.

The solution looks like a sudoku grid, but the way to the end is not at all like a boring regular sudoku.

www.killersudokuonline.com (http://www.killersudokuonline.com) has hundreds of them to download for free.

And I do a difficult English-style cryptic crossword over coffee every morning. It is not general knowledge, but word play.

eg: Stop white ant engulfing North America.

Ans: termi (NA) te

Lopez
08-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Right now I am into ''Greater Than, Killer Soduko'' , mindbending level. They fence off some blocks in the grid and tell you the total of the digits in some of the boxes. Other blocks are just marked as totalling > or < a neighbouring block.

The solution looks like a sudoku grid, but the way to the end is not at all like a boring regular sudoku.

www.killersudokuonline.com (http://www.killersudokuonline.com) has hundreds of them to download for free.

And I do a difficult English-style cryptic crossword over coffee every morning. It is not general knowledge, but word play.

eg: Stop white ant engulfing North America.

Ans: termi (NA) te

The Sudokus especially sound hard core :lol:

Dmitry Verdasco
08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Tell me how to solve a Rubik's cube. WTF?! Why make a thread....

Kolya
08-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I enjoy puzzles but I am not good at them lol.

If today is 0 degrees (temperature) and tomorrow is twice as cold, what is the temperature tomorrow?

buddyholly
08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
I enjoy puzzles but I am not good at them lol.

If today is 0 degrees (temperature) and tomorrow is twice as cold, what is the temperature tomorrow?

-137C

You could argue this based on the meanings of words. Eg, you could argue that cold is just a measure of lack of heat, so that really you must say tomorrow will be half as warm as today.

Kolya
08-24-2011, 11:11 AM
-137C

You could argue this based on the meanings of words. Eg, you could argue that cold is just a measure of heat, so that really you must say tomorrow will half as warm.

I don't have an answer. I heard it on the radio and found it interesting.

What is your reasoning for your answer?

Nidhogg
08-24-2011, 12:07 PM

Keep in mind that 0C only represents something neutral in a designated heat scale. What it really measures doesn't overgo some drastic change whenever it passes that mark.

buddyholly
08-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Half the number of degrees between zero Centigrade and -274C, considered to be the absolute minimum. (And ignoring what might actually happen as matter gets close to that temp).

buddyholly
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Keep in mind that 0C only represents something neutral in a designated heat scale. What it really measures doesn't overgo some drastic change whenever it passes that mark.

Yes, if it is 10C today and tomorrow it will hit 20C, that does not mean it will be twice as warm.

In physics it is probably meaningless to talk of things being twice as hot or twice as cold, anyway.

Orka_n
08-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Last year I learned how to solve a Rubik's cube (3x3x3) and did it multiple times but now I've forgotten. :facepalm: Gotta buy one and figure it out again.