Conflict with Asian Games ????? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Conflict with Asian Games ?????

jayakris
09-27-2002, 12:50 AM
I didn't realize that the Japan Open (and actually the Uzbekistan challenger also) are conflictng with the first week of the Asian Games at Busan, Korea!

I suppose #117 Suzuki (and perhaps JPN's #2 Motomura too - he may get a wildcard or something) will not be at the team events scheduled for the Asiad first week? .. Same with Srichaphan for Thailand .. I assume #134 Ogorodov and #154 Kutsenko will be at the Uzbekistan challenger too .. That significantly drops down the competition in the team events.

That perhaps explains why #81 Hyung-Taik Lee (KOR) who would have easily made the main draw at Japan, is not there. Being Korean, he may not have the option of not representing Korea at Asiad, and giving some competition to India which may be the odd-on favorites now for the Team Gold next week.

I guess Danai Udomchoke will probably play for the Thai team next week (he withdrew from the Uzbekistan challenger this week for some reason and may be not be going there next week then).

Does anybody know if any of these guys plan to show up for the individual events in the second week of Asiad (singles, doubles and mixed doubles)?

.. I am curious.

Jay

jirobkk
09-27-2002, 06:36 AM
Hello Jay, :D

As far as I know Danai went to Japan on 26 Oct for play qualify round. He will skip the Asian Games' team event if he can get the AIG Japan Open main draw. If he can not qualify he will join both team and individual event. Danai play individual men single and mixed double paring up with Tammy.

Paradorn, of course he play only individual men single and double paring up with his brother, Narathron Srichaphan.

:bounce: :bounce:

jayakris
09-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks jiro ..

I suppose those who lose in the first round at Japan or some other place can also come in and join the team. I am not sure if the rules allow changing the team composition once play starts on wednesday... we will see .. interesting.

Jay