It's not too much to ask the mind & body to work at the same time is it? HC Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It's not too much to ask the mind & body to work at the same time is it? HC Thread

Deboogle!.
08-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Cincy, Winston-Salem, and USO. That'd be 3 tourneys in a row he has to stay healthy for.

:help: ?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=188036
Cincy draw :help:

arodfanpe666o
08-13-2011, 06:52 AM
First match vs. Kohlschreiber...Andy is out

Kate87
08-13-2011, 12:18 PM
No.

tsurupettan
08-13-2011, 05:44 PM
:tape:

OnyxRose
08-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Hyperextends his knee or pulls something in his knee...has he had that injury recently???

Cincy draw...yeah right.

tangerine_dream
08-13-2011, 10:32 PM
^^ He suffered a knee injury at Shanghai Masters in 2009.

Usually, when Andy's had a long layoff, he tends to become jumpy, eager, and hyper aggressive in his first tennis match (think 2008 US Open vs Santoro when he blew Fabrice off the court in the first round; Fabrice took the loss personally).

VjBv5oGG3m4

I'm hoping we'll see something like that in Cincy. :cool: and especially against Kohlschreiber :devil:

STUHL
08-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Kohli is just a bye in these days. If Roddick doesn't manage to win he should really think of what he is doing.

arodfanpe666o
08-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Kohli is just a bye in these days. If Roddick doesn't manage to win he should really think of what he is doing.

Absolutely.

Silver.
08-16-2011, 01:51 AM
I can't find a stream! Can anyone help? :sadface:

Silver.
08-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Doesn't matter they've all suddenly appeared :D

Deboogle!.
08-16-2011, 02:03 AM
:yeah:

acoffeygirl
08-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Is there a live stream somewhere? I'm so out of the loop these days.

Deboogle!.
08-16-2011, 03:24 AM
i'm watching on espn3.com

acoffeygirl
08-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Thanks... doesn't sound like I want to watch anyway. I don't have that option right now and the scoreboard is apparently frozen.

Deboogle!.
08-16-2011, 03:37 AM
no you don't :haha:

acoffeygirl
08-16-2011, 03:45 AM
Oh dear.

Deboogle!.
08-16-2011, 03:58 AM
byebye top 16 USO Seed. l. o. l.

tsurupettan
08-16-2011, 04:03 AM
:help:

nothing much to say anymore, really. :o

OnyxRose
08-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Is this even a nightmare? What's worse than a nightmare?

This year is terrible.

Deboogle!.
08-16-2011, 04:25 AM
he'll drop out of the top 20 next week.

tsurupettan
08-16-2011, 05:02 AM
now that i didn't know. sucks, but unsurprising, it was only a matter of time. i hope he's able to salvage the rest of the year... uh, somehow.

i almost want him and serena to pair up for mixed doubles at the uso. :o have some fun and some wins. it'd be practice for the olympics together, too, at least. (that is, i think they're still going to be usa's mixed team?)

arodfanpe666o
08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
He is good on radio shows or things like that. It is sad he isn't that good at playing tennis anymore.

arodfanpe666o
08-16-2011, 09:45 AM
“For two sets tonight I actually hit the ball well considering. I hit the ball a lot better than I thought I would, if I'm being totally candid,” said Roddick, who had been hampered by an abdominal injury in recent weeks. “I probably will wake up tomorrow morning feeling a little bit better about where I'm at than I did when I woke up this morning. I'm not that concerned about New York right now.

“I got to get to Winston Salem and try to get a couple matches. That's it. For me it's silly to think about New York yet. Obviously if I go and win Winston Salem then it's a different ballgame, or final of Winston Salem it's a different ballgame. So a lot can change in a matter of two weeks.”

And yet he is happy with himself.:eek::eek: I'm speachles===

Fumus
08-16-2011, 03:12 PM
He'll be fine. It's all about how he does in New York and since we know the USTA rigs the draw anyways...I think they'll hook him up.

arodfanpe666o
08-16-2011, 03:31 PM
He'll be fine. It's all about how he does in New York and since we know the USTA rigs the draw anyways...I think they'll hook him up.

In New York he will somehow get to 3rd round, where he'll be crushed in straights by someone top 30. Because of his ranking he will get seeded players in third round. I can not see him reachig quarters in a Slam.

partygirl
08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Things are so ass backward, so up and down (not a lot of up ) i feel like he could lose 1st round in the next and go to the final in the one after that.

It's becoming harder and harder to publicly support him...
i always will but i cannot say i have watched more than 1 whole match of his this year, the lowest count in 8 years:(

Maybe if i had T.V I'd watch more but, more often than not i ignore the live play because I'm not into drama.
Andy got me to become interested in tennis, now i don't watch because he may disinterest me in it:tears:

I do have to say, he is preping us for retirement quite well in this fashion.
The bastard.

partygirl
08-16-2011, 10:52 PM
On a superficial note: The uh- apparel is not good nor helping. That damn ugly shirt of his making & those ridiculous socks. I don't think he's played decently once without ankle support. :aplot:

Silver.
08-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Things are so ass backward, so up and down (not a lot of up ) i feel like he could lose 1st round in the next and go to the final in the one after that.

It's becoming harder and harder to publicly support him...
i always will but i cannot say i have watched more than 1 whole match of his this year, the lowest count in 8 years:(

Maybe if i had T.V I'd watch more but, more often than not i ignore the live play because I'm not into drama.
Andy got me to become interested in tennis, now i don't watch because he may disinterest me in it:tears:

I do have to say, he is preping us for retirement quite well in this fashion.
The bastard.

I'm exactly the same! But I don't think i'll become disinterested if he continues this way, I have too many favourites to support. It was Andy that really got me into tennis though, I found his game exciting, his explosive serve was fun to watch and his personality was great. He appeared on a Chat Show in the UK and I found him hilarious. I was ten when he won the US Open and I was never around when he was in his prime, which makes me sad :sad:. I'm only 18 and i've never suffered one of my favourites retiring. Literally top of things I MUST do is to see Andy play live before he retires. I really hope I can. I really hope he gets his head right soon, too... and buys some socks.

:)

Fumus
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
How he does in next week's tourney could tell us alot about how he'll perform at the USO. If he does lose before the second week again...my guess is that there will be a coaching change in the off season, and for us fans...that's a good thing.

Deboogle!.
08-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree that W-S will reveal a lot about his form. he actually didnt play that badly (considering he's barely played most of the year) until his brain went missing late in the 2nd set. Do you really think it's about the coach though? Andy's had some of the best coaches in tennis throughout his career and he's never listened to any of them that much. at this late stage in his career do you think he would listen to someone new any more?

tangerine_dream
08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Kohlschreiber backed up his win over Andy by beating FLo today. Andy talks about his loss on Twitter:

andyroddick (http://twitter.com/#!/andyroddick) Frustrated but gonna bounce back.1st tourney back was never gonna be easy.Was happy w first 2 sets.Have to get legs back under me.Practice!!

andyroddick (http://twitter.com/#!/andyroddick) Won't go mental from here through us open. Book it. Ha ha. Was the first point penalty of my career and will be the last as well.

We're booking it, Andy. Will hold your feet to the fire at USO. :p

Fumus
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM
I agree that W-S will reveal a lot about his form. he actually didnt play that badly (considering he's barely played most of the year) until his brain went missing late in the 2nd set. Do you really think it's about the coach though? Andy's had some of the best coaches in tennis throughout his career and he's never listened to any of them that much. at this late stage in his career do you think he would listen to someone new any more?

Winston Salem has an awesome field actually, I would compare a win there to a win at Queens before Wimbledon or something. I also, agree he didn't play that bad, on the contrary I thought he played a great TB and a great return game to get that 4-2* lead. I think getting broken was a lack of match play/confidence issues, which could be cured with a few wins.

Wouldn't you agree that when he makes coaching changes and has a new voice behind him, pushing him...he's had the best results in his career? Think about Brad, Jimmy and Larry, they all came on after bad losses or slumps and immediately there was a change. I think Andy knows this too...so if the USO is a bust, I expect a change to come in the off season. Not because Larry is a bad coach but because Andy will need a new coach.

Btw, Tangy...I was totally surprised how much coverage that outburst got him. I wouldn't even rate that top 5 in his career and yet it was a top story on SportsCenter, a 2 minute segment on PTI and friends of mine that don't even hardly watch tennis were sending me the story, like "did you see this?". I am just thinking, man it must be a slow sports week if tennis controversy got this much coverage. LOL.

tsurupettan
08-19-2011, 05:56 AM
i've joked before that andy should just get a new coach every year because when he does, his results improve for a nice period of time. maybe he's like an extreme honeymooner when it comes to coaches. :lol:

Fumus
08-19-2011, 04:02 PM
i've joked before that andy should just get a new coach every year because when he does, his results improve for a nice period of time. maybe he's like an extreme honeymooner when it comes to coaches. :lol:

I've heard of serial daters...maybe he's like that just with coaches.

partygirl
08-19-2011, 10:17 PM
serial dating/coaching sounds like serial denial to me.

tangerine_dream
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
If Andy's going to dump Stefanki he better do it right before the US Open. Every time Andy leaves a coach or gets a new one he turns into a great player for a week. It's almost like he's trying to prove something to them - 'See, I can win without you.' Remember when Connors left and Andy went on a tear at Dubai, shocking us all when he beat Nadal and Djokovic and won the title? :eek:

I wouldn't mind a repeat of that. At a slam, of course. :angel:

Deboogle!.
08-20-2011, 12:44 AM
If Andy can't make the semis of Winston-Salem I really think he should just strongly consider retirement :lol:

Fumus
08-22-2011, 03:56 PM
If Andy can't make the semis of Winston-Salem I really think he should just strongly consider retirement :lol:

Agree.

tangerine_dream
08-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Finally, a decent win for Andy, 6-2 6-4. :) I can't believe it's been two months since he last won a match. :eek: Don't lose next round!

Fumus
08-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Finally, a decent win for Andy, 6-2 6-4. :) I can't believe it's been two months since he last won a match. :eek: Don't lose next round!

Post match he had some very kind words for a coach of some special Olympic athletes.

He also said the game plan with Larry tonight was serve well, to play very conservative and make very few unforced errors...just until he get's his legs under him. Hmm...hmm...how is that any different than the way he's been playing ohhh say the last 7 years?

Deboogle!.
08-24-2011, 03:16 AM
no comment ryan :haha: his reaction after he won, you'd think he won a freakin slam with the "YES YES!" :haha:

Fumus
08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
no comment ryan :haha: his reaction after he won, you'd think he won a freakin slam with the "YES YES!" :haha:

I knew you would get a kick out of those post match comments. Conversely though, it's good to see he still really wants to win. As long as he's got that drive and that fire, I don't think we'll have to worry about retirement for at least a few more years yet.

Deb, are you going to come to the US OPEN this year? I'll be there on Thursday Sept 1st if you want to meet up for some cocktails. ;)

Deboogle!.
08-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Well yes sure it is good to see he still wants it. Now he just has to stay healthy (in body and mind).

Aw, no i'm not. I've never been to the USO. That'd be fun though ;) have a great time!

OnyxRose
08-25-2011, 01:31 AM
He beat Giraldo 1 and 3. It's good he's getting through these matches quickly and not messing around in tiebreaks with players he should be beating down.

Fumus
08-25-2011, 01:42 AM
hmm...another all serve and push performance. This time he won, the next time he might play someone who can hit winners from the baseline or god forbid have a nice fast-serve return.

Vanilla Ice, anyone?

Alright stop collaborate and listen Andy's back with a new invention
something grabs a hold of me tightly makes me overtop the ball daily and nightly
*Fan--say* Will it ever stop?
Yo' I don't know
If I play a top 20 guy, I just blow.

PUSH PUSH BABY...TOO OLD...ANDY JUST GONNA PUSH PUSH BABY...TOO OLD...TOO OLD

Deboogle!.
08-25-2011, 01:45 AM
omg ryan:haha:

Grinder
08-25-2011, 01:56 AM
The only acceptable loss in this tournament would be Isner.

The other possible players he will/could play on his path to a title are Juan Monaco (claycourter), an out of form Baghdatis, and in the final Dolgopolov/Haase/Benneteau/Stakhovsky....all guys he'd have no business to.

I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't take the title here (bar a loss to Isner...who he still needs to beat if he wants to have a shot at doing any damage at the open).

heya
08-25-2011, 06:28 AM
next week, he won't worry about being one of the best 2 US players.
at least the sham marriage will last a few years.

tangerine_dream
08-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Andy's low ranking may have actually helped give him a decent USO draw. :D

Fumus
08-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Andy's low ranking may have actually helped give him a decent USO draw. :D

Oh please you know the USTA rigged that for him.

But seriously, I don't think he could have asked for a better draw...nay dreamed of a better one. Nadal's quarter, the way weaker half. I mean the first tough guy he'll play is Ferrer. Who I think Blake (I'm not kidding here) might actually beat. Nadal hasn't been in great form and always has a tough time with Andy on HC.

I guess we don't want to look any further than. :cool::cool:

tsurupettan
08-25-2011, 07:02 PM
:lol: isn't it kind of worse that he's got a decent draw? it doesn't feel like he ever really takes advantage of them.

tangerine_dream
08-25-2011, 07:03 PM
:lol: isn't it kind of worse that he's got a decent draw? it doesn't feel like he ever really takes advantage of them.
Shhh!

tsurupettan
08-25-2011, 07:08 PM
oops! :tape:

...:lol: :p go andy, take this uso!

OnyxRose
08-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Could have been worse.

partygirl
08-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Anything can & will happen.

Grinder
08-26-2011, 12:25 AM
next week, he won't worry about being one of the best 2 US players.
at least the sham marriage will last a few years.

WTF :lol:

Good convincing wins by Andy so far but I still hate the lack of aggressiveness I've seen.

I'll be rooting Andy on tomorrow against Isner...he really needs this win for his confidence. It'll be a shame if he can't take the title here, I mean Benneteau/Dolgopolov in the finals, really?

Kate87
08-26-2011, 11:00 AM

eeeeexactly what I said yesterday :haha:

Kate87
08-26-2011, 06:50 PM
http://audioandanarchy.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

tsurupettan
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Fw1ON.gif

Fumus
08-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Tangy/Deb...

Being that you are draw experts...

I'm going to be at the US Open on Thursday, any idea which side of draw will be playing?

Deboogle!.
08-28-2011, 11:20 PM
the USO does some stuff a bit different with the three-day first round, right? I guess it will be the top men's half (the half that plays tomorrow)? Normally it'd be the half playing Tuesday in any other tourney but not the USO I don't think. Tangy prob knows better as she has actually been to the USO :lol:

arodfanpe666o
08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
So, Andy will play Wednesday. Does that mean he will have to play consecutive days if he win? I'm a little confused with the schedule this year...

Deboogle!.
08-30-2011, 12:40 AM
No, should be ok. the USO Always does this with the three-day first round, he'll play weds, then Fri
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/eventschedule.html?promo=subnav

heya
08-30-2011, 07:34 AM
he remains in tennis, but he doesn't do it for
honest fun and self-improvement. the freakish, childish stupid, mindless, unclever, bizarre manic, angry behavior is due to his feeling of pressure to do charity work.

arodfanpe666o
08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
So, Andy will play Wednesday. Does that mean he will have to play consecutive days if he win? I'm a little confused with the schedule this year...

Thank you. :)

Fingers crossed he will make good tournament. He really needs it.

arodfanpe666o
08-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Federer is complaining that the surface is slower. Do you know something about it?

tsurupettan
08-30-2011, 03:46 PM
when i was watching coverage yesterday, it does look like the courts are playing slower, and quite a few of the players are saying that, too (iirc, mardy was also one of them). :tape:

but it might be due to the weather or other outside circumstances, so it might be too soon to really say anything for sure. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
08-31-2011, 01:07 AM
ESPN last night talked about it. Pam Shriver talked to the tourney referee or something and he said that the recipe for the court was the same but with the bad weather in the weeks before the tourney, they didn't get played on as much as usual Theoretically then, the courts should speed up as people play on it and it gets smoothed out.

Just watching some matches, the court does not feel "slow" to me. Maybe just a little slower than usual.

arodfanpe666o
08-31-2011, 08:08 AM
ESPN last night talked about it. Pam Shriver talked to the tourney referee or something and he said that the recipe for the court was the same but with the bad weather in the weeks before the tourney, they didn't get played on as much as usual Theoretically then, the courts should speed up as people play on it and it gets smoothed out.

Just watching some matches, the court does not feel "slow" to me. Maybe just a little slower than usual.

Well, thank you very much. It would be nice to have at least 1 Slam, where the surface is Not slow...

Anyway, I don't know why they slowed down the courts everywhere, but maybe this is not worth discussing...

Fumus
08-31-2011, 03:31 PM

Yea this is just one of those thing players complain about week to week. Seriously, tennis players are the most picky athletes in the world...if it's not the courts, then the balls are too slow/fast.

Just watching, I agree Deb the courts look pretty quick to me. I think anyone who watched Golubev crack the ball around last night could agree with that. IMHO, even if the courts a wee bit slower due the weather or the fact they haven't gotten the play..it's still the fastest grand slam of the four by far.

So looks I get the crappy part of the draw tomorrow...oh well, that's why they sell beer right?

tangerine_dream
08-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Attending first day of USO is the best; the crowds aren't suffocatingly bad and you get to see more players on the outer courts. Plus, a lot of people couldn't attend Monday because mass transit wasn't working. :woohoo:

I am now debating if I really want to make myself crazy and attend Super Saturday? The thought, is scary. :scared:

Andy needs to beat Russell in straights tonight. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't take advantage of this draw, and I'm sick of being disappointed. :(

tsurupettan
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM
:lol: that scoreline against russell. i only watched most of the first set, but did andy ever get up to the baseline? i was smh that he was hanging back so much. it's a norm for him, but you'd think against russell he'd try to foster a different approach (and not just silly net ones) to try and carry it into the other rounds.

partygirl
09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't think about anything anymore, he has made me as crazy as he is.

tangerine_dream
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm really not looking forward to watching Andy lose to Sock tonight. :o

Silver.
09-03-2011, 12:01 AM
http://r.bf.m.yahoo.com/api/res/1.2/RDJeKoGfUNqJxfDWXGCEIw--/Y2w9cGhvdG87Zmk9Zml0O2g9MjQwO3c9MjA1/http://mit.zenfs.com/218/2011/09/sock-roddick-2002.jpg

Andy with Jack when he was ten. Andy was told Jack was an up and coming junior player and he replied "He'll probably kick my [butt] someday". Let's hope he has predicted wrong. :lol:

tangerine_dream
09-03-2011, 04:25 AM
:banana: Nice to see remnants of the old Andy Roddick make his appearance tonight. Keep building that confidence. :cool: Keep playing like you have something to prove. :p

And please don't lose to Benneteau. :sobbing:

OnyxRose
09-03-2011, 04:36 AM
I normally don't have a problem with Benny but I truly hope he remembers how to be the journeyman he's been for most of his career. Way to pick a time to get hot dude. But seriously, Andy needs to win because if he can't win against Benneteau playing well, then he surely doesn't have a prayer against Ferrer.

Deboogle!.
09-03-2011, 04:43 AM
Did you guys hear the eternal KERJ invite Sock down to austin after their handshake? Jeeeeeeeeez:rolleyes:

Silver.
09-03-2011, 05:16 PM
...eternal kerj..?

OnyxRose
09-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Kerj is jerk. I forgot that story.

Maybe eating babies aren't as fulfilling. Maybe he's shooting straight up to teenagers. :(

Silver.
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
:lol: I have no idea what any of you are on about. Anyway, good luck to Andy today ;)

Deboogle!.
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Uh to make a long story short, if you read General Messages, especially a few years ago when Andy was at the top top of the game, you would have thought Andy was a horrible child-eating jerk of the highest order. However, here, we know that Andy is a generally good guy who does a ton of charity work, loves kids, etc. so we made up the name "kerj" (not sure who or why LOL) and whenever andy does something kind or generous (such as inviting Sock to Austin to practice in December right after their handshake) we call him a kerj :D

Silver.
09-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I guessed it would be something like that. I was just especially confused when google gave me this definition:

kerj
A skinny human of homosexual orientation with large knees.
"Look at his knees and how he is dressed, what a kerj."

:lol:

Deboogle!.
09-04-2011, 06:17 PM
OMG, I have never heard that before:haha:

Tytta!.
09-04-2011, 06:22 PM
you are a kerj for explaining what a kerj means, debs. WHAT. A. KERJ. ;)
ello Silver. :D

cobalt60
09-04-2011, 09:02 PM
you are a kerj for explaining what a kerj means, debs. WHAT. A. KERJ. ;)
ello Silver. :D

She's aliveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :hug:

Tytta!.
09-04-2011, 09:29 PM
She's aliveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :hug:

As of now, yes ;)
how are you? :smooch:

cobalt60
09-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Great thanks! What is up with Ms Renata? School or work or both or even play;)

I just realized I have been here over 6 years. Wow. Eldest just moved out xcountry to college and youngest heads to high school. I am all gray now too :p
Work is still busy but hey I still like it.

Tytta!.
09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Great thanks! What is up with Ms Renata? School or work or both or even play;)

I just realized I have been here over 6 years. Wow. Eldest just moved out xcountry to college and youngest heads to high school. I am all gray now too :p
Work is still busy but hey I still like it.

working and studying :p but it's all good too ;)
well i've been around here for 7-8 years and yes, i'm getting old too haha
i'm glad everything's fine :D

tsurupettan
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
that definition, i can't. i just can't. :haha:

and yay for a win. negl, i was expecting it to be more difficult. :tape:

Kate87
09-05-2011, 10:36 AM
so we made up the name "kerj" (not sure who or why LOL)

I think it was a typo on msn :rolls:

Deboogle!.
09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I think it was a typo on msn :rolls:OOOOOOoooooooooooooooo probably:haha:

Deboogle!.
09-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Andy/Ferrer at night:rolleyes: every time someone says the USTA tries to help out Andy they should look at stuff like this :rolleyes:

starr_00
09-05-2011, 11:36 PM
He's going to be rained out either way methinks. They'll be lucky if they get one full match out of the way tomorrow.

Deboogle!.
09-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Just more clear that they aren't favoring him. If so they would've put him on first

starr_00
09-06-2011, 01:14 AM
Well the thing is - they do favor him... the way they favor all big draws and fan favorites (and not in the way that help them win matches). All on court scheduling is done in association with television programming - CBS and ESPN. The cold, hard fact is that top draws will be scheduled at night/primetime on a weekdays (outside of Mon/labor day), and during the day on weekends. Those are the slots that will draw the most potential eyeballs on tv, so they'll put the biggest draws and matchups on at that time. Not surprised at all that Andy/Ferrer is the scheduled primetime match tomorrow night, unfortunately. The only other primetime option for tomorrow night is Murray/Young... and tbh - the casual US viewer could give a sh*t about Murray and Young is still unproven. Now way they'd choose that as their primetime match when they have an option of Andy vs. a top 5 opponent in Ferrer. True that it's annoying, but totally expected.

Deboogle!.
09-06-2011, 01:23 AM
They're favoring him for TV Audiences, they're doing anything but favoring him to actually progress in the tournament. Big difference :lol: If they wanted Andy to have the best chance to win the match he would've been at 11am. People in GM say things are always done to favor him going far in the tournament but considering how much he's put at night that's clearly not true... We're saying the same thing just in a different way :p

tangerine_dream
09-06-2011, 01:33 AM
I agree. The USTA/ESPN are favoring high TV ratings, they're not helping Andy's chances of winning. :(

starr_00
09-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Right, exactly. They don't schedule him to give him the best chance to advance... they schedule him (and all others) to give advertisers the best chance to have eyeballs on their product on tv. Haha, we all agree. Anyway - I could probably do the OOP before they release it every day and it would match exactly - it's totally predictable. I just hope he actually gets to play tomorrow though - it's going to rain for the next 2 days-ish... the whole draw is kind of screwed.

arodfanpe666o
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Do you think thaye can move Andy to Armstrong today? I mean, after Isner - Simon.

Fumus
09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't think the time of the match should make that much of a difference. If Andy is playing like a pansy pusher from the back of the court it's going to be the same outcome at 1pm or 7pm against a guy like Ferrer who is so good at working a point from the baseline. It's just at 7pm more people can watch him make an ass of himself.

Regardless, it's soooo cool outside right now, I don't think the conditions are going to be blazing quick at anytime and with all humidity in the air right now it might even be heavier during the day.

tangerine_dream
09-06-2011, 07:32 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/JMAC_suga_BaBi_27/smiley%20faces/mood_excited.gif So glad tennis is called off for today. With the backlog maybe they'll reschedule Andy's match with Ferrer on Armstrong during the day when it's hotter. One can hope.

Did you guys see this? :)

Ak3At0R3cq8

Fumus
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h308/JMAC_suga_BaBi_27/smiley%20faces/mood_excited.gif So glad tennis is called off for today. With the backlog maybe they'll reschedule Andy's match with Ferrer on Armstrong during the day when it's hotter. One can hope.

Did you guys see this? :)

Ak3At0R3cq8

Looks like you got your wish.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=subnav

tangerine_dream
09-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I saw that :yippee: He still may not beat Ferrer, but if he does then playing during the day on Armstrong could be the deciding edge.

Piers Newbery Nadal, Roddick and Murray will open Wed @11. It's still uncertain who will play on Ashe, Armstrong or Grand Stand.

Piers Newbery Mammoth day @usopen on Wednesday - @andy_murray v Young on Grandstand at 1600 BST, Nadal on Ashe, Roddick on Armstrong. #bbctennis

I am shocked that Murray/Young will be on Grandstand. What a fantastic atmosphere it will be, for Young especially.

Fumus
09-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I saw that! :yippee: Yippeeee! He still may not beat Ferrer, but if he does then playing during the day on Armstrong could be the deciding edge.

Piers Newbery Nadal, Roddick and Murray will open Wed @11. It's still uncertain who will play on Ashe, Armstrong or Grand Stand.

Piers Newbery Mammoth day @usopen on Wednesday - @andy_murray v Young on Grandstand at 1600 BST, Nadal on Ashe, Roddick on Armstrong. #bbctennis

I am shocked that Murray/Young will be on Grandstand. What a fantastic atmosphere it will be, for Young especially.

I think that's a bigger deal than being a night, being in Armstrong will really pull the crowd in it for Andy.

starr_00
09-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Don't get too excited... I live in NYC and it's gross out right now. It's supposed to pour all day tomorrow too (and most likely Thursday as well) - so all the guys are totally screwed. The winners will have to play everyday.

tangerine_dream
09-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Watch what happens, everyone will have to play 3 days in a row while Roger somehow manages to get three days off. :rolleyes:

*edit*

Local NYC weather forecast is saying it'll rain ALL WEEK. :tape: :help: :crazy:

Deboogle!.
09-07-2011, 01:11 AM
oyyyy veeyyyyyyy

Fumus
09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here...wouldn't having to play a few days back to back favor Andy? If he's got to play Rafa then Murray...wouldn't you hope it would be when those guys aren't as fresh and don't have that quick first step to defend against big serves? Then playing a final against an exhausted Novak when Andy hasn't really put any wear on his body all summer...

eh? ehhhh???

Deboogle!.
09-08-2011, 01:03 AM
that's quite a stretch. Andy's not as young and fresh as he used to be either :rolls:

Anyway, this blows :o

arodfanpe666o
09-08-2011, 08:56 AM
It's good enough if he beats just Ferrer. He is not in a position to think about more. The way this year has been, a quarterfinal would be big for him.

tangerine_dream
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
After the Armstrong court buckled from all the rain, our spoiled, arrogant, kerj Andy demanded they play on Court 13. Brian Earley couldn't seem to make any decisions so Andy took the reins and said "Let's just go play on Court 13", and like the Pied Piper everybody followed his lead over to the lowly, non-showy court. You gotta love this guy. I can almost hear him telling Earley, "What is wrong with you? YOU'VE GOT THE EASIEST JOB IN THE WORLD." :cool:

Fumus
09-08-2011, 08:52 PM
After the Armstrong court buckled from all the rain, our spoiled, arrogant, kerj Andy demanded they play on Court 13. Brian Earley couldn't seem to make any decisions so Andy took the reins and said "Let's just go play on Court 13", and like the Pied Piper everybody followed his lead over to the lowly, non-showy court. You gotta love this guy. I can almost hear him telling Earley, "What is wrong with you? YOU'VE GOT THE EASIEST JOB IN THE WORLD." :cool:

I didn't know it was Andy's idea. LOL. He really was playing great...maybe he knew something we didn't. Some of those returns and flat forehands today were...:eek::eek::eek:. If he can mix that will the net play and excellent serving, he'll have a chance against Rafa.

Don't know what happened at the beginning of the 4th. He looked really tired/something was bothering him. Hopefully he'll recover by tomorrow (I'm assuming it will be a night match).

partygirl
09-08-2011, 09:01 PM
See:banana:.
It is impossible to hypothesize with this Crazy Mother...

OnyxRose
09-08-2011, 09:10 PM
See:banana:.
It is impossible to hypothesize with this Crazy Mother...

I don't even make predictions with him anymore. He can crash out in the first round of a tournament or he can win the whole thing. I just don't know with him anymore.

Good job Andy! I'm really enjoying the whining today by some posters. :)

tsurupettan
09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
hmm, tbh, considering how nadal is right now, it wouldn't be toooo much of a stretch if andy won. well, as long as he's feeling fine, his serve is pumping and he takes some initiative. either way, it's a good opportunity (i like andy's chances against nadal more than i would if andy was against federer or djokovic). we'll see soon enough if he can make something happen.

Winston's Human
09-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Today was a happy surprise -- especially the late 4th set turnaround. Maybe being a discarded underdog works better for Andy than the pressure of being the favorite?

partygirl
09-08-2011, 09:23 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/2c/fullj.da6f774894c1c74e0b9b6b6b0ecd2fd0/da6f774894c1c74e0b9b6b6b0ecd2fd0-getty-124114582.jpg

blueway
09-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone know what time this match will be on tomorrow?
Thanks

OnyxRose
09-08-2011, 10:21 PM
More than likely a night match, bah.

tangerine_dream
09-08-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm afraid to say anything. He's already exceeded my expectations. He wasn't supposed to get past the first round. Now he's into the quarterfinals of a grand slam again, after such a lousy year suffering with low confidence and injuries, and he took out a legit top tenner. It's for these moments that we can't completely quit him. :yippee: :banana:

Deboogle!.
09-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Great win. Didn't get to see much but the recovery in the 4th and the lack of hesitation serving for it was great to see. Hopefully he's feeling good against Rafa and just does his best.

The whole court thing was absolutely epic. gotta love him :rolls:

partygirl
09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
.... gotta love him :rolls:
THis.

single reason we are collectively still all around.http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/tuzki-bunnys/tuzki-bunny-emoticon-031.gif

starr_00
09-09-2011, 02:18 PM
The biggest thing I'm worried about is that Andy looked like he was going to fall over in die during the 4th set yesterday. In his post-match intv on court - he said 'I was really hurtin' at the end there' and he was ghost white and sweating profusely. Wonder what was wrong and if whatever that was will affect him today. Hope he's not too fatigued.

ETA: LOL. Gotta love him is right:
http://guyism.com/sports/reporter-to-andy-roddick-do-you-feel-your-juices-more-intesely.html

tangerine_dream
09-09-2011, 04:26 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/tuzki-bunnys/tuzki-bunny-emoticon-031.gif
That smiley should be the Roddick forum mascot, it represents so well the frustrating life (and sometimes exhilaration) of being a Roddick fan.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is that Andy looked like he was going to fall over in die during the 4th set yesterday. In his post-match intv on court - he said 'I was really hurtin' at the end there' and he was ghost white and sweating profusely. Wonder what was wrong and if whatever that was will affect him today. Hope he's not too fatigued.
I missed that part, but now I'm worried because when PMac interviewed him later that day his voice sounded very strange, almost like he had a cold coming on or something. I sure hope not. :scared:

starr_00
09-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I missed that part, but now I'm worried because when PMac interviewed him later that day his voice sounded very strange, almost like he had a cold coming on or something. I sure hope not.
Interesting... and yikes. I didn't see the interview with PMac, but I watch his post match press conference and totally thought his voice sounded strange too! I hope he's okay :/

tangerine_dream
09-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Nobody thought Andy would get this far in the draw so I'm happy with what he's done here. Beating Nadal is a tall order for anybody not named Djokovic. :shrug:

Silver.
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm extremely happy with the QF run also. Nadal was too good today. Andy was knackered, needs some well earned rest now.

Target - only lose to players ranked 4 and above from now. You can do it Andy! You proved it this US Open ;)

tsurupettan
09-10-2011, 12:10 AM
i wonder if something carried with him from the ferrer match. i mean, yeah, it'd be a tall order for andy to beat nadal, but the scoreline doesn't seem like it got very competitive, especially the first two sets. looking at the stats, his first serve wasn't really there and that he kept up with his net rushes/approaches that i saw in the opening game. :shrug: but, yeah, the silver lining and all with the qf and it being nadal, after all.

eta: i just read his interview. pretty much what i figured, and understandable.

Deboogle!.
09-10-2011, 01:18 AM
They commented yesterday that he pulled up late in his match. Guess so. Sigh. His body just can't hold up anymore.

tsurupettan
09-10-2011, 02:16 AM
true, true. for some reason i didn't think he was running that, that low on his reserves, to where he really was basically running on empty. i knew he was hurting in that fourth with ferrer, but negl, i was a bit surprised when i read what he said. i figured he'd have something left for nadal (which maybe he had a tiny bit to try for the crowd, considering the third set was a bit more competitive than the first two), but yeah, his body can't hold up as good as in the past.

Deboogle!.
09-10-2011, 03:26 AM
Well, it seems like the bigger problem is that because he had to take it easy most of the summer, his endurance was just not what it normally was. Darren Cahill put it succinctly on twitter "You can't pack 4 months of work into 4 weeks. Andy tried bravely to do it & made a good run, but his body took issue."

tangerine_dream
09-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I didn't know Andy's leg was injured. I guess that explains why he wasn't running down many balls. I thought maybe he was just exhausted.

Killer Cahill :hearts:

Andy put in a great effort to get the QFs and I'm quite happy and proud of him for that, so I'm not feeling too badly about the loss to Nadal. I hope Andy isn't either. I don't want him to lose what little confidence he had gained back this week.

Deboogle!.
09-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Andy's effort put him back up to #14. If only he could have a good fall.....

arodfanpe666o
09-13-2011, 05:33 AM
The big thing is, can he stay healthy. He said after Nadal match that he is going to play 4 tournaments (2 weeks in Asia, 2 weeks in Europe). It is not much, but if he does not ge injured, it is possible for him to make 2 good results (or 3) - that can put him back in top 10. There is always hope :)

Another Masters Cup appearance is too much, not possible.

Fumus
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Andy's effort put him back up to #14. If only he could have a good fall.....

If he can continue to play like he did, I think a Master's semi and a smaller tourney win isn't out of the question for sure!

This is the push to the year end championship! I'm hoping he gets healthy and gets matches in so he's ready for AO. 2012 is going to be a good year, methinks.

Deboogle!.
09-14-2011, 03:02 AM
well we shall see.

tsurupettan
09-14-2011, 01:07 PM
well, serena's announced her and andy will be playing mixed dubs in australia, which isn't surprising since they want to do the olympics together. though that in and of itself hasn't been fully confirmed (that they together will be representing the usa in mixed), but i guess if they get this practice in and do some good showings, it'll better their chances. :scratch: then again, it is andy and serena, so whoever's in charge might feel pressure just because it's them. i feel sorry that it'll be such a small draw, though, because if andy does get picked, that leaves out bob. :tears:

at the least i'm hoping since it's them together there'll be some fantastic interviews. :lol:

partygirl
09-26-2011, 07:59 PM
When is he supposed to play again? He's not injured, shouldn't he be taking advantage of some of these withdrawals? :shrug:

Deboogle!.
09-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Beijing

arodfanpe666o
09-27-2011, 08:10 AM
He evan had outside chance to qualify for London. I don't know why he does not play when he is not injured. He had not played much this year...

Sonja1989
10-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Good luck in Asia, Andy :hug:

arodfanpe666o
10-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Tough first round draw for Andy...

misst89
10-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Andy really had bad luck being drawn against anderson but still hoping he can make a good run in the remaining tourneys.

Fumus
10-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Two decent matches for Andy. Now if he can make a quarter or final here he might actually pickup some points...

Winston's Human
10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Nice second set recovery from our boy. Hopefully, he will beat Almagro.

partygirl
10-12-2011, 12:33 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy080.gif

Fumus
10-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Match is on after midnight my time...think I'll stay asleep for this one. If he makes the Semis and plays Nadal...I might just set my alarm for that. Otherwise it's just meh to me.

arodfanpe666o
10-12-2011, 06:15 PM
An interview with: ANDY RODDICK

Q. Do you want to talk about how you felt at the end of the match. I saw you get a little bit angry when he broke back at 5 4 in the second set after you got the break. How were you feeling at that point and how did you close it out?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know that I made a first serve that game, you know, so that was frustrating for me. I mean, you know, I felt like I was returning pretty well and hitting my forehand pretty well. Then all of a sudden, you know, I'm not putting a first serve in the court. So I was kind of pissed. I felt like I was getting it backwards a little bit.

The guy doubles three times and lets you back in, then you kind of donate it right back, that's not normally a recipe to win a match.

Got through it, though. I do that pretty well: get through matches when everything doesn't go perfectly.

Q. Although you're not playing as well as you might want to, it must give you confidence you're getting the job done.

ANDY RODDICK: Play well, not play well, you get the same opportunity: you get to play again. You know, you can look at it you're getting through or the fact you're getting through and there's still a lot out on the table.

There's no such thing as a bad win. I'll keep going in this tournament hopefully.

Q. What would be a satisfactory ending to the year for you?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I haven't thought about it.

Q. What would be acceptable?

ANDY RODDICK: I think we're past 'acceptable' this year, to be honest. I was glad to get back kind of definitely not in shape for the Open, but a little bit more in form than I had been. So that was nice.

I think now it's about getting yourself in position to where you're not clawing completely uphill, you know, for the first four months of next year. I think that's what we're trying to do here.

Q. What do you make of him? A couple of years ago he was going to be the next big thing. He's come up gradually. What did you see out there tonight?

ANDY RODDICK: You know, he's definitely got all the shots. He should have closed me out in the second set. So maybe that's what we're looking at. Maybe that's what we're talking about.

You know, he's certainly got all the talent in the world. I know Pete McNamara is a very good coach. Seems like he's got the right team in place. You know, at this point it might be between the ears. But he's certainly got some ability.

Q. You mentioned yesterday you may have to think about changing the way you prepare, the way you train. Is it going to affect the way that you're going to play the game, as well? Do you think you're going to have to change things?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't think so. My outlook here is that, you know, I'm normally very aggressive in the off season. I'm looking at three weeks, max four weeks, of being very, very, very aggressive. It looks like this year I could have six or seven. So hopefully I get the same outcome.

I might need the longer period to where I'm not, you know, going zero to 60 every day from the get go. So I'm going to have to work a little bit smarter so hopefully I won't have to make too many adjustments on the court.

I think as you get older, you need that time. I've rested a little too much this year, to be honest. I've been on the couch. I think I'm going to have to go against my nature and try not to get it all done in one day every day. I think I just have to get a little bit smarter about it.

Q. Do you ever feel like you're too hard on yourself? You always seem to be taking yourself to task.

ANDY RODDICK: No. I feel like I'm being pretty realistic. If I came in here and tried to, you know, blow fairy dust over what I just did out there, I think you guys would see through it. I think you guys take me at good value. If I say like I'm playing pretty well and I feel like it, it normally means I am. If I'm getting through matches, it normally means that's what I'm doing.

I have the opportunity to get going. I certainly have played my way into tournaments before and played better on the back end. So hopefully that's what we're trying to do here.

Q. When you say you've got to be aggressive, does that mean you've got to hit the track? Does it mean you have to hit the gym? Does it mean you take time off the court?

ANDY RODDICK: That's what I need right now. Because of the injuries, when I got hurt this time, Larry had a long conversation. Jim Courier had a long conversation. Jim and I are pretty like minded people. He said, I ran myself into the ground. I overworked myself and I was done by 27, 28. He said, You're heading down the same path. You need to kind of pull back a little bit. You're not going to forget how to play tennis overnight. As opposed to doing workouts four times a day, maybe cut it back a little bit.

You know, I've done that, but almost to the extreme where I'm just trying to stay healthy and get through the year and not get hurt and training again. The way I feel moving out there right now isn't optimal. It's not going to be what's going to get me a good result in a big event.

So I will need more time. But everything he talked about is what goes into being a top tennis player. I just need to space it out and maybe do two thirds of what I do in a day over a longer period and get the same result.

Q. It seems like you started a little bit of a trend with moving to Austin. It's becoming Tennis Town. Can you talk a little bit about that.

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, it's great. Six years ago there wasn't anybody there to hit with. If we had weeks, I was flying young players in, you know, to go to work. I think beyond me there's a couple of really good coaches in Austin now. Grant Doyle is there, who brought Sam up. Scott McCain, who has been on tour many, many years. You know, I'm certainly happy to help with any of those guys.

We go out there; I try to help them as much as I can. I try to set an example. I always tell them that I shouldn't be the hardest worker on the court. It's just nice. There's a good camaraderie from there.

There's a bunch of guys 200, 300 in the world now. It's got kind of a good vibe. We have a really good strength coach in Lance Hooton there who some of the guys work with. We have some good medical people, massage, chiro. We have kind of a good little system in place. All those things together make it a good place to train.

It's at least another option to Tampa, which has kind of been the place to go, Sarasota/Tampa area.

Q. What facility do you use?

ANDY RODDICK: As far as tennis?

Q. Yes.

ANDY RODDICK: Well, on the track, we go to public high schools. We carry the equipment in the back of our cars. That's what we actually do. Balls and sticks and all sorts of stuff.

I think we've gotten kicked off of four tracks already. I can find a training facility anywhere in the world except for where I live.

Tennis wise we hop around depending on surface. There's a couple clubs that are faster. There's a couple that are slower. So a lot of time it depends on what we have around the corner. But there's not just one place to go. We kind of vagabond it a little bit. But it's pretty fun that way, I think.

Q. Rafa and Andy Murray were in here today casting doubt on whether any discussions would take place this week about the schedule, how to approach the tour about that. I want to ask your response to that and whether you think it's going to take one player pushing this effort forward, getting everybody together at the right time.

ANDY RODDICK: I think so. Obviously Roger and Novak need to be involved. I think you guys are wondering if there's going to be like a formal meeting, conversation, sit down here. I'm not sure. I'm sure there will be before the year's out.

But if you have that conversation now, you're going to have to have it twice 'cause nothing happens without Roger and Novak at this point. So I'm sure there will be some personal conversations. As far as a big, formal deal that you guys can write about, I'm not sure that's going to happen here.

I don't know. I mean, I'd be for it. But I haven't even seen those guys personally yet at this event.

Q. Returning to the theme of the younger players. Given the number of questions over the last couple of years about the state of American tennis you've had to field, you must be delighted to see the likes of Donald, Alex and Ryan putting in great performances here in Shanghai?

ANDY RODDICK: Regardless of whatever questions I've had to answer, I'm thrilled to see it. I've always been pro U.S. tennis. I've always said it becomes contagious. One guy starts going, you know, competitive jealousy I think is a very good thing. It normally goes in waves. So if these guys keep going up the rankings, keep pushing each other, Donald wins a match, Ryan wants to win a match, Mardy is having his best year ever at 29 years old. All of a sudden Alex is having his best year ever at 28 years old. I have a hard time believing all of this is coincidental.

A healthy, competitive jealousy I think is a very, very good thing, and I'm happy to see it right now.

Q. Going back to what Andy was talking about earlier. He was saying that he fears these talks about talks and scheduling and so forth could make the players be seen as spoilt. He says that money isn't really the issue. Is that something that you fear, too? Yesterday you mentioned the money.

ANDY RODDICK: Sure, it's an issue. If everything was fine and our voice was heard, I don't think we would be striking about money. That's my honest opinion. I think there are ways around it. If there is a strike, then you have the people together, play a tournament, have the revenues go to charity to prove it's not. I'd be all for that.

I know Jersey has an arena right down the street from the US Open. Pick a spot around the world. There are ways around that. If we negotiate anything, I'm happy to negotiate proceeds to charity for that.

I mean, you know, at this point I think the main thing is a voice. Whether one's playing the schedule, we should have something to say about it. At a certain point how long is too long of not getting that point across? At a certain point, it needs to be more than conversation and more than talk. We'll see if the time is now.

It does take unity. When you're dealing with a hundred separate entities as opposed to a certain amount of teams, I think that's harder and that's probably been why it's been divided. The powers that be in tennis have successfully bet on us being divided so far, and they're smart for it.

partygirl
10-12-2011, 09:15 PM
An interview with: ANDY RODDICK

I think as you get older, you need that time. I've rested a little too much this year, to be honest. I've been on the couch.

I want to say at least he said it, but he says a lot of things.
Too bad it wasn't a therapist couch:smash:

It does sound positive that he has been discussing with Courier how not to run his hard head into the ground. All this extreme prep work to then go out of tournaments with a whimpering passivity, waiting on your opponents mistakes.:bs:

Deboogle!.
10-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Too bad it wasn't a therapist couch:smash:
OMG :haha: :rolls: :bowdown:

arodfanpe666o
10-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Nice win. It's been long since he served well for two sets. I hope he can build on that.

Gosh, can't believe that this is Andy's first quarterfinal of a Masters event this year. Well, at least he made one...