Most beautiful city you've ever been to... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most beautiful city you've ever been to...

Navratil
08-12-2011, 02:49 PM
What is the most beautiful city you've ever been to?

Navratil
08-12-2011, 02:52 PM
My favorites are in Italy: Rome & Venice!

In Germany: Heidelberg, Freiburg, Dresden, Munich & Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

In US: New Orleans.

In Australia: Melbourne.

Worldwide: Rome.

arm
08-12-2011, 02:59 PM
There are a lot of obvious cities: Barcelona, Rome, Budapest, Dubrovnik...

But there is one city I have recently visited and fallen in love with: Kiev.

GSMnadal
08-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Rome obviously!! Closely followed by Prague...

Navratil
08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Forbes magazine:

- Cambridge
- Venice
- Paris
- Vancouver
- Sydney
- Tokyo
- Florence
- Cape Town
- London
- New York
- San Francisco
- Chicago

(UCityGuide etc.)
http://www.ucityguides.com/cities/top-10-most-beautiful-cities.html
- Rio de Janeiro
- Hongkong
- Shanghai
- Prague
- Lisbon
- Amsterdam
- Bruges
- Budapest
- Hanoi
- Cartagena
- Dubrovnik
- Athens
- Damascus
- Jerusalem
- Dresden
- Delhi
- Salzburg
- Havana

Yahoo:
1. Paris

2. San Francisco

3. Sydney

4. Florence

5. Cape Town

Navratil
08-12-2011, 03:12 PM
LonelyPlanet:

1. New York

Since 9/11, the site of the World Trade Center’s twin towers has stood out as a closed-off, out-of-view, painful gaping void. This year that changes, as the former WTC site finally reopens to the public with the National September 11 Memorial, a 6-acre, tree-filled plaza with 30ft-deep waterfalls at the footprint of the former towers, rimmed by the name of each victim and illuminated at night (its museum will follow in 2012). For the city, this will be more momentous than if the Yankees, Knicks, Rangers and Giants won simultaneous championships while the ball dropped in Times Square on New Year’s Eve. For all of New York, 11 September 2011 will be a defining moment.

2. Tangier

From its extraordinary position perched on the northwestern-most tip of Africa, Tangier looks in two directions: one face towards Spain and Europe, and the other into Africa. The ‘white city’ announces a culture excitingly different from that of its close cousins across the water. With the recent arrival of a new city governor, the town beach now sparkles, the hustlers are off the streets and even the taxi drivers are polite. A stylish new Tangier is being created with a dynamic arts community, renovated buildings, great shopping and chic new restaurants.

3. Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv is the total flipside of Jerusalem, a modern Sin City on the sea rather than an ancient Holy City on a hill. Hedonism is the one religion that unites its inhabitants. There are more bars than synagogues, God is a DJ and everyone’s body is a temple. Yet, scratch underneath the surface and Tel Aviv, or TLV, reveals itself as a truly diverse 21st-century Mediterranean hub. By far the most international city in Israel, Tel Aviv is also home to a large gay community, a kind of San Francisco in the Middle East. Thanks to its university and museums, it is also the greenhouse for Israel’s growing art, film and music scenes.

4. Wellington

Wellington is Cool-with-a-capital-C, crammed with more bars, cafes and restaurants per capita than New York, and a slew of gourmet producers including some 10 independent coffee roasteries. Year-round you’ll find arts and cultural events in abundance. Likewise, its film industry, ‘Wellywood’, centred on the Miramar Peninsula, is booming thanks in large part to the success of Wellingtonian Sir Peter Jackson (executive producer of the 2011 and 2012 Hobbit movies currently being made here). This little capital will be front-and-centre on the world stage in 2011 when New Zealand hosts the Rugby World Cup.

5. Valencia

Valencia sits coquettishly and again confidently along Spain’s Mediterranean coast. For centuries, it was overshadowed by larger Spanish cities – hard-nosed, commercially-minded Barcelona and Madrid, the nation’s capital. Not any more. While retaining its provincial charm, Spain’s third city now mixes with the international crowd. Host of a couple of America’s Cup yachting jamborees and an annual street circuit Formula 1 motor race, it’s also European Capital of Sport for 2011 and a favourite destination for conferences and congresses. Valencia enjoyed its golden age two full centuries before the rest of Spain.

6. Iquitos

After days forging by boat along rainforest-fringed rivers, Iquitos, mighty megalopolis of the Peruvian Amazon, comes as a shock to the system. Pulsating with life, the city’s latest boom is tourism: visitors may flock to reconnoitre the rainforest but taking time to imbibe Iquitos itself is imperative too. This is a sultry slice of Amazon life: Brazilian, Colombian, indigenous and expat. Clubs bounce to salsa and rock until the early hours with the vigour you’d expect of Peru’s jungle capital, but Iquitos is also a cultural hub: expect works by Peru’s top artists, opulent rubber-boom mansions and a museum on Amazon ethnography for starters. As a trading post for rainforest tribes, market mayhem and riverboat bustle are part of the package, all conspiring to fill the city with an addictive, round-the-clock energy.

7. Ghent

Here’s a secret within a secret: Ghent might just be the best European city you’ve never thought of visiting, in a country that continues to be criminally overlooked. Ghent hides away in the middle of Belgium’s big three – Brussels, Bruges and Antwerp. Most Belgium-bound visitors rushing between these see nothing more than the stately fortifications of Ghent’s St Pieter’s Station. Those who do hop off the train and stroll along the Leie River to the historic centre will have their eyes out on stalks. Here hides one of Europe’s finest panoramas of water, spires and centuries-old grand houses. But this is no place to simply kick back: Ghent has one of Europe’s most dynamic festival scenes, which vies for visitors’ attention. This year the entire centre will emerge from a major program of rebuilding designed to show off the huge pedestrianised squares.

8. Delhi

The great metropolis of Delhi, encompassing Old and New Delhi and sprawling out for miles, has not looked this smart and sparkling in centuries. Huge preparations for the Commonwealth Games, which took place in October 2010, improved the city’s infrastructure, cleaned up its streets and added to its accommodation options. Aside from, of course, a bounty of new or improved sporting facilities, there’s the marvellous artery of the Metro – an underground transport system that’s a futuristic, egalitarian world away from the sometimes chaotic, class-ridden situation above ground. This year marks 100 years since New Delhi was founded in 1911. At least eight cities are known to have been founded on this spot. The commemoration of this anniversary is sure to be a colourful and lively affair.

9. Newcastle

Is it Australia’s most underrated city? Anyone surprised to see Newcastle on the list of 2011′s hottest cities (and there’s a few of you, right?) probably hasn’t pulled in off the Pacific Highway, or at least not for a while. Newcastle flies under the radar of Aussies and international travellers in part because it’s overshadowed by its bigger, bolder and better-known sibling, Sydney, 150km south. But, at around one-tenth the size, Australia’s second-oldest city has Sydney-like assets: surf beaches, a sun-drenched subtropical climate, and diverse dining, nightlife and arts. Not only is Newcastle ideally located just two hours by road or rail or 30 minutes by plane or seaplane from Sydney, it’s less than an hour’s drive west to the Hunter Valley wineries, south to sailboat-filled Lake Macquarie, north to whale-watching and sharkfeeding at Port Stephens and to sandboarding at Stockton Beach (the southern end of the 32km-long beach is a five-minute ferry ride across Newcastle’s harbour).

10. Chiang Mai

If Chiang Mai were a person, it would be Bob Dylan. With a history dating back further than anyone can remember, its influence remains enormous. And despite its great age, there’s still a bohemian chic that makes it as relevant and hip as ever. Culture capital of Thailand, Chiang Mai was once the heart of the Lanna kingdom. Today those wanting to flee the bustle of Bangkok visit to lounge in coffee shops and drink in the city’s artisanal atmosphere. With a friendly, cosmopolitan feel, this is one easy, safe and pleasant place to explore. There are dozens of well-preserved temples here, too. Many new ecotours and adventure trips are appearing, and with a choice of river rafting, elephant rides, trekking and off-road cycling, even the biggest adrenaline junkie will be sated.

Navratil
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Tough to compare metropolisis like Munich or Berlin to romantic little villages like Fuessen or Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Also there are cities I'd love to visit but I wouldn't like to live there.

Navratil
08-12-2011, 03:16 PM
What about Seattle and Bosten?

Haven't been there yet :(

barbadosan
08-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Having been to Cartaghena, I'll give that a thumbs up - and I really liked old San Juan in Puerto Rico. In the Caribbean, St George's in Grenada; no matter where you're headed there, you always seem to have to go uphill :lol: San Diego in the US

BigJohn
08-12-2011, 04:18 PM
In Canada, there are 2 that must be visited: Victoria and Quebec City.

Victoria...

http://www.helmsinn.com/postcards/images/inner_harbour2.jpg
http://www.coolthingsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/butchart_gardens.jpg

... and Quebec City

http://www.toursquebec.com/images/Quebec.jpg
http://thesceneinto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Rue-de-Petit-Champlain-Qu%C3%A9bec-City-Canada-by-palestrina55.jpg
http://www.linternaute.com/photo_numerique/galerie-photo/photo/les-meilleures-photos-deposees-en-juin-2008/image/chute-montmorency-308294.jpg

arm
08-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Never been to Rio de Janeiro. But it's said to be the most beautiful city on earth.

Getta
08-12-2011, 04:34 PM
never been to Saint Petersburg. but it's said to be the most beautiful city in Europe.

ibreak4coffee
08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
If you're talking just beauty, then no city beats Paris. Cape Town and Rio themselves are not beautiful cities but the setting they are in are the most beautiful in the world.

If you're talking most interesting/exciting/beautiful cities in the world, then New York, Istanbul, Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Buenos Aires.

barbadosan
08-12-2011, 05:06 PM
If you're talking just beauty, then no city beats Paris. Cape Town and Rio themselves are not beautiful cities but the setting they are in are the most beautiful in the world.

If you're talking most interesting/exciting/beautiful cities in the world, then New York, Istanbul, Berlin, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Buenos Aires.

Paris at night :)

barbadosan
08-12-2011, 05:07 PM
In Canada, there are 2 that must be visited: Victoria and Quebec City.

Quebec looks absolutely beautiful

scarecrows
08-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Stockholm
Prague
Bangkok
Porto
Budapest

Gagsquet
08-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Paris. By far
In my experience.

Har-Tru
08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Can't pick one, but Vienna is gorgeous and I think it hasn't been mentioned yet.

r2473
08-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Cincy and Atlanta in July / August.

Why do you think the ATP has tour stops in these cities?

peribsen
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
In Europe:
- for living there: Lisbon.
- for visiting: Venice, Bruges, Amsterdam, Istambul, St Petersburg.

Out of Europe: Damascus, Havana.

But I guess I still haven't been to many other beautiful cities.

AndiMD
08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Prague, Rome, Dresden, Hanover

bokehlicious
08-12-2011, 11:26 PM
If I should pick 3 it would probably be:

New York
Amsterdam
Rome

bad gambler
08-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Queenstown, NZ

Chloe le Bopper
08-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Quebec looks absolutely beautiful
The old part of Quebec City is nice. Venture outside of that and it quickly turns to shit.

Anyway, my answer is Budapest. Easily the most beautiful city I've seen so far.

Lee
08-13-2011, 12:31 AM
The old part of Quebec City is nice. Venture outside of that and it quickly turns to shit.

this

Action Jackson
08-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Detroit

@Sweet Cleopatra
08-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Sharm El Sheikh, with a tour to the fabulous Sinai mountains; St. Catherine and Moses.

out_here_grindin
08-13-2011, 02:38 AM
no order
Rome
Firenze
New York
Como
Waikiki
San Diego
San Francisco
Islamorada,FL
parts of Charleston,SC

BigJohn
08-13-2011, 04:35 AM

this

When was the last time either of you went to Quebec City?

None of these pics are from le Vieux-Québec. Perhaps you need a better guide.

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/91209/chsb_trait_carre_2009_05_10_c.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M2mDr7nL2Yw/TLR0chy6HeI/AAAAAAAACKA/fG5NDkSnjZ0/s1600/Ile-dOrleans.jpg
http://blog.monlimoilou.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/jc1110555.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Quebec-St-Charles.JPG/800px-Quebec-St-Charles.JPG
http://www.clubdimension.org/documents/Maizeret.jpg
http://cdn.archdaily.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/2105463078_02-7622-23-24.jpg
http://www.arv.ulaval.ca/colloquefoteo2008/images/photos/grandes/stroch.jpg
http://www.twip.org/photo/north-america/canada/photo-10290-17-02-08-04-12-07.jpg

orangehat
08-13-2011, 07:51 AM
QC was very nice, and I know a lot of people are going to go WTF at me for this, but I like Montreal :lol:

Haven't been to Europe so can't comment.

In Asia-Pacific I honestly can't think of a lot of "cities" per se that I like. Sydney/Brisbane was nice but not really my thing, don't really like Thailand either.

Lee
08-13-2011, 07:54 AM
When was the last time either of you went to Quebec City?

None of these pics are from le Vieux-Québec. Perhaps you need a better guide.

I saw comparable views when I was in Calgary and I didn't have a good tourist guide there :shrug:

BigJohn
08-13-2011, 07:57 AM
QC was very nice, and I know a lot of people are going to go WTF at me for this, but I like Montreal :lol:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF??????????????????????

Chloe le Bopper
08-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I saw comparable views when I was in Calgary and I didn't have a good tourist guide there :shrug:
I can see comparable views in my hometown, too. Rivers and parks are lovely. Hey, Moscow has those too! Maybe I should post photos of the 5 pretty places in Moscow and claim it? Anyway, some of those photos actually proved my point. Outside of the old part of Quebec City, it's really nothing special. However, the old part of Quebec City is fabulous, which is why I understand that people have chosen to mention it.

BigJohn
08-13-2011, 04:47 PM
I can see comparable views in my hometown, too. Rivers and parks are lovely. Hey, Moscow has those too! Maybe I should post photos of the 5 pretty places in Moscow and claim it? Anyway, some of those photos actually proved my point. Outside of the old part of Quebec City, it's really nothing special. However, the old part of Quebec City is fabulous, which is why I understand that people have chosen to mention it.

You kind of missed the point.

You said that that outside of Old Quebec, it looks like shit.

L'Ile d'Orléans and la chute Montmorency hardly look like shit to me. I am positive you have nothing in your hometown that is remotely comparable to those. Majestic waterfalls higher than the Niagara and lovely 200 sq km rural islands covered with farmland merely 5 km away from downtown are not that common I am afraid. I did not know that natural features should not be factored in what makes a city beautiful. Darn...

That old house is from le Trait Carré in Charlesbourg, quite a few kilometers away from Old Quebec.

Why didn't any of you two answer my question? When did you go last to Quebec City? Many parts of it have been transformed in the last 10-15 years. As you pointed out, rivers and parks sure are lovely, but I posted the pics because those linear parks and promenade near the St-Lawrence are new projects. La rivière St-Charles was not so long ago a concrete channel. All the concrete is gone, the park along its banks is now 32 kms long going upstream to the source of that river. La promenade Samuel-De Champlain is not 5 years old. Le quartier St-Roch is now completely revitalized, university pavilions and lovely integrated urban parks have replaced ugly old buildings and empty parking lots.

I am pretty sure you haven't visited the place recently.

Gagsquet
08-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Very beautiful cathedral in Reims.

(you are welcome Manon)

orangehat
08-14-2011, 04:51 AM
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF??????????????????????

:rolls:

Dupuis2006
08-14-2011, 05:07 AM
Quebec City! :hearts:

MaxPower
08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Stockholm is incredibly beautiful for a capital (but yeah I'm a bit biased). But its the combo of the water and that it's a quite old city with some old architecture. Also both the air and the water is cleaner than in some other cities I have been too....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IFY0TXJwucY/S_YfbA-cudI/AAAAAAAAAJo/qTnowa4CWDc/s1600/View_over_Stockholm_large.jpg

Prague is also very beautiful. Best city I have been to abroad. Got to go to Canada some time. Similar climate to Sweden

Navratil
08-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Prague, Rome, Dresden, Hanover

RU kidding?

Hanover is on my list of the ugliest cities in the world :eek:

Hanover, Detroit .... ;)

Mimi
08-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Pragus is beautiful but too over-crowded with tourists :help:

I love Saltzberg :hearts:

Nikki♥
08-15-2011, 08:57 AM
It is hard to name just a few. I will list the most beautiful cities I have been to by continent.

Europe: Barcelona, Budapest, Prague, Amsterdam, Monte Carlo, Stockholm

North America: New York City, San Antonio, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Toronto

South America: Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Córdoba, Bariloche, Ushuaia, Montevideo

Asia: Singapore, Kyoto, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Macau, Kuala Lumpur

Africa: I have only been to South Africa and wasn't too fond of the places I visited. :shrug:

Navratil
08-15-2011, 09:27 AM
It is hard to name just a few. I will list the most beautiful cities I have been to by continent.

Europe: Barcelona, Budapest, Prague, Amsterdam, Monte Carlo, Stockholm

North America: New York City, San Antonio, Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Toronto

South America: Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Córdoba, Bariloche, Ushuaia, Montevideo

Asia: Singapore, Kyoto, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Macau, Kuala Lumpur

Africa: I have only been to South Africa and wasn't too fond of the places I visited. :shrug:

Oh, you have only been to South Africa? :eek:

Poor girl that you haven't had the chance to travel that much :drive:

:superlol:

Nikki♥
08-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Oh, you have only been to South Africa? :eek:

Poor girl that you haven't had the chance to travel that much :drive:

:superlol:

In the past I had more opportunities... Now I have to stick to getting to know Argentina inside out. :sad:

:angel: :lol:

Navratil
08-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Got to go to Canada some time. Similar climate to Sweden

That's not a good thing isn't it? ;)

El Legenda
08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Beautiful is a relative word...I've been to some cities that I think are awesome but some people wouldnt dare set foot in them.

merryploughbhoy
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Montreal and Quebec are great cities. The French/Europeon influence comes out in the architeture making it unique and different from all other cities in north America. Even in the fall its nice and colourful and the snow in the winter is good too, brightens the place up, give me that anyday over grey misrable overcast skies over here during the winter.

deyaT87
08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Sydney :hearts:

fast_clay
08-25-2011, 01:03 AM
ghent is a really good shout... it is a genuinely beautful european city... it definitely stands up well in comparison to the greats...

when the sun goes down in prague in winter it is great, very much a black paris for me... and krakow is up there...

some of these canadian cities look really special... every time i see one my curiosity grows...

fez has a beauty that needs to be seen to be believed... a place every person must see at least once with there own eyes... a mad old and once great arabic headquarters...

my fave is a little city called Banska Bystrica... very subjective all this, but there is a mystical gravity there and i have been back many times...

Sydney :hearts:

it deffo has a lot of postcard moments... maybe the most of any city i have been to, especially when you get out into the harbour and view the city at night... but, melbourne still nicks it for me

El Legenda
08-25-2011, 01:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTAKgL6upw&feature=player_embedded#%21

SVK
08-25-2011, 01:21 AM
Venezia is beautiful and also those towns near Alpes have some magic too:) I am not travelling a lot though, so I didn´t visit many cities yet...

Commander Data
08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
NY
Lucerne

jonathancrane
08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Kyoto

HybridTheory
08-25-2011, 01:15 PM
No city beats Prague, in my opinion. :o Especially in winter, with snow and without tourists.

arm
08-26-2011, 09:52 PM
I have to say that although I like prague, I believe it's highly overrated. :shrug: too many tourists in such a small city kind of ruins it for me. :shrug:
Having spent a year in budapest, I might be biased but it's trully stunning. I would choose budapest over prague, vienna any time.
My list in Europe right now would be: 1. Barcelona, 2. Budapest, 3. Lisbon, 4. Kiev

Bobby
08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
I have to say that although I like prague, I believe it's highly overrated. :shrug: too many tourists in such a small city kind of ruins it for me. :shrug:
Having spent a year in budapest, I might be biased but it's trully stunning. I would choose budapest over prague, vienna any time.
My list in Europe right now would be: 1. Barcelona, 2. Budapest, 3. Lisbon, 4. Kiev

Lisbon is a very beautiful city. I spent a week there last year. Loved it!

Sunset of Age
08-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Lots of great cities mentioned here, just want to add one fairly unknown place which is just utterly lovely:

http://marvaoguide.com/images/stories/telepulesfotok/slovenia/Ljubljana%20with%20main%20bridge%20tromostovje%20a nd%20church.jpg

Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia. :hearts:

arm
08-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I loved Ljubljana too. :inlove:

Sommarsverige
08-27-2011, 10:32 PM
That is really a difficult question....

I love travelling and there are soooooooo many cities I find totally amazing, so I can´t name just one.

Stockholm - for me surely one of the greatest cities on earth! I love the people there, the connection of big city and lots of water around, the old building in Gamla Stan, it´s just the perfect mixture!

Valencia & Barcelona - both spanish cities I like a lot! Valencia also has this old/modern mixture I like plus the great climat! Barcelona is just a wonderful city!

Key West - I love the sunsets, the way to Key West, the relaxing atmosphere in the streets and everything and the many crazy people there! Just a great place to be!

And of course I also have to name Hamburg, my home city, in this thread ;) The weather is often really annoying, but apart from that it is a wonderful city to live in. Lots of water in and around, many parks and greeen lounges, also in the city, thousands of possibilities to do in your spare time ;)

Other cities I like a lot: Paris, Rome, Venice, New York, Shanghai, Miami, Moscow and Madrid!

Elena.
08-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Rome,Venice,New York,Paris are special .

Navratil
08-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Lots of great cities mentioned here, just want to add one fairly unknown place which is just utterly lovely:

http://marvaoguide.com/images/stories/telepulesfotok/slovenia/Ljubljana%20with%20main%20bridge%20tromostovje%20a nd%20church.jpg

Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia. :hearts:

That place is worth a trip! Wow!

Manduco
08-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Melbourne, Australia by far. Cool people too.

buddyholly
08-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Melbourne just moved to the top of the Economist survey of most livable cities, beating out Vancouver, which had reigned for 10 years (I resisted saying that Vancouver had rained for 10 years).
The Economist explained that Vancouver lost its #1 position because of a deduction for intermittent traffic problems on the Malahat highway. The magazine was only able to cite one traffic incident - when a fuel truck crashed and closed the highway for 22 hours.

Oh wait, ................the magazine forgot to mention that the Malahat highway is on Vancouver Island. To get to it from Vancouver you have to take your car on a 90-minute ferry ride and then drive up the coast for a hour. When contacted, the Economist said that the highway is broadly in the Vancouver region.

This would be like deducting points from Toronto (#4, by the way) because a chunk of concrete fell from a bridge in Montreal.

BigJohn
09-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Pfff... Bad example.

You don't need to take a ferry to get from Toronto to Montreal.

Navratil
09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Melbourne just moved to the top of the Economist survey of most livable cities, beating out Vancouver, which had reigned for 10 years (I resisted saying that Vancouver had rained for 10 years).
The Economist explained that Vancouver lost its #1 position because of a deduction for intermittent traffic problems on the Malahat highway. The magazine was only able to cite one traffic incident - when a fuel truck crashed and closed the highway for 22 hours.

Oh wait, ................the magazine forgot to mention that the Malahat highway is on Vancouver Island. To get to it from Vancouver you have to take your car on a 90-minute ferry ride and then drive up the coast for a hour. When contacted, the Economist said that the highway is broadly in the Vancouver region.

This would be like deducting points from Toronto (#4, by the way) because a chunk of concrete fell from a bridge in Montreal.

Yep - it was in the news yesterday.

But livable is not beautiful, isn't it?

Melbourne got elected because of the social system and stuff like that.

nadejda
09-02-2011, 07:02 AM
I will vote for Sevilla in Spain :hearts::hearts:
absolutely adorable place, too bad it is not so popular to tourists. People are super friendly and nice looking hoties. Atmosphere is unique.
I've been to New York and Amsterdam, but liked Sevilla a lot better. Same for Granada.
South Spain.:worship:

Navratil
09-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Heidelberg

http://de.naturea-heidelberg.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/438941240_6b8e0c0767.jpg

Dresden

http://www.ferienloft.de/Bilder/dresden.jpg

Rothenburg

http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/rothenburg-ob-der-tauber-d1266.jpg

Freiburg

http://www.freiburg-madison.de/images/Freiburg/Freiburg_von_Schlossberg_aus_w.jpg

Munich

http://www.amigos-unidos.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/M%C3%BCnchen.jpg

HNCS
09-14-2011, 03:36 PM
I will vote for Sevilla in Spain :hearts::hearts:
absolutely adorable place, too bad it is not so popular to tourists. People are super friendly and nice looking hoties. Atmosphere is unique.
I've been to New York and Amsterdam, but liked Sevilla a lot better. Same for Granada.
South Spain.:worship:

Agreed. Sevilla and Granada are incredible. South of Spain is incredible.

And a WTF moment for me is Sydney. i live in sydney and though we have many nice places and nice natural views in places, it certainly isn't one of the most beautiful cities in the world.... :o Melbourne is much nicer.

Topspindoctor
09-15-2011, 03:32 AM
Kyoto.

But I have never been to Europe.

Kezzi
09-21-2011, 12:32 AM
#1 Aix-en-Provence :hearts: #2 Rouen #3 Marseille (old part). Yeah, I love France ;)
Random order: Varazdin, Aachen, Munich, Paris, Bielefeld, Bernay.
In NL it's Maastricht and Den Haag. Both so much more beautiful than Amsterdam. ;)

Navratil
09-21-2011, 08:32 AM
#1 Aix-en-Provence :hearts: #2 Rouen #3 Marseille (old part). Yeah, I love France ;)
Random order: Varazdin, Aachen, Munich, Paris, Bielefeld, Bernay.
In NL it's Maastricht and Den Haag. Both so much more beautiful than Amsterdam. ;)

What!? Have you ever been to Bielefeld??? :eek:

Even in the state NRW Bielefeld is considered as a very boring and ugly town :superlol:

I used to live there and it's so funny to read Bielefeld in this list :superlol:

Kezzi
09-21-2011, 12:14 PM
What!? Have you ever been to Bielefeld??? :eek:

Even in the state NRW Bielefeld is considered as a very boring and ugly town :superlol:

I used to live there and it's so funny to read Bielefeld in this list :superlol:
That's the topic title, right? ;) I stay there every year during the GWO. Since I never paid attention to the city much I went back for a weekend and celebrated my bday there 2 years ago. :D It's not that typical beautiful like Paris, but I really like it there and I found that if you pay attention to the environment it's more beautiful than you expect. :)
And I know the opinion of the state NRW, read about that online before going there. :lol: And I practically live in NRW myself, I'm very close to the German border near Monchengladbach. :)

bokehlicious
09-21-2011, 12:43 PM

:eek: :speakles:

Kezzi
09-21-2011, 03:38 PM
:eek: :speakles:
I never liked Amsterdam and since the last time I was there I really dislike the city. It's definitely one of my least favorite cities and I certainly don't think it's the most beautiful one NL has to offer. :shrug:

kafkavert
09-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Never been to Rio de Janeiro. But it's said to be the most beautiful city on earth.

GOD spent 6 of 7 days of creation on Rio. It is amazing.

Sunset of Age
09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I never liked Amsterdam and since the last time I was there I really dislike the city. It's definitely one of my least favorite cities and I certainly don't think it's the most beautiful one NL has to offer. :shrug:

Fully agree. Amsterdam is very overrated.
Even the more, a lot of people don't know that quite a few shots from movies which are supposed to are be set in Amsterdam, are actually filmed in... Utrecht, my home town. ;)

When it comes to the Netherlands, visit Maastricht, Utrecht, Groningen, and Haarlem. By far the most beautiful cities in my country, and barely any tourist-traps. Nice locals who are actually friendly to tourists and willing to show you around as well. :)

abraxas21
09-21-2011, 08:39 PM
damn, when i first read the thread title, i read "most beautiful girl you've ever been to"

someone should really make that thread

Navratil
09-22-2011, 09:28 AM
That's the topic title, right? ;) I stay there every year during the GWO. Since I never paid attention to the city much I went back for a weekend and celebrated my bday there 2 years ago. :D It's not that typical beautiful like Paris, but I really like it there and I found that if you pay attention to the environment it's more beautiful than you expect. :)
And I know the opinion of the state NRW, read about that online before going there. :lol: And I practically live in NRW myself, I'm very close to the German border near Monchengladbach. :)

That's cool! If you go to the GWO you should stay in Bielefeld. It's the only real city close by.

The only touristic town in that area is Detmold by the way. But it's a small town, not much going on there, just some nice buildings, churches and a castle in the historical city centre.

http://www.wanderhoernchen.de/images/Detmold.jpg

Navratil
09-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Don't get me wrong: Detmold might be the most beautiful city in the county of Ostwestfalen-Lippe but this is not a post for the most beautiful cities in the world :D

bokehlicious
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Fully agree. Amsterdam is very overrated.
Even the more, a lot of people don't know that quite a few shots from movies which are supposed to are be set in Amsterdam, are actually filmed in... Utrecht, my home town. ;)

When it comes to the Netherlands, visit Maastricht, Utrecht, Groningen, and Haarlem. By far the most beautiful cities in my country, and barely any tourist-traps. Nice locals who are actually friendly to tourists and willing to show you around as well. :)

Utrecht is known to be very similar to Amsterdam but without the tourists :p

Still, Amsterdam is beautiful, it's not called the Venice of the North for nothing :hearts:

Rotterdam looks industrial and ugly on the other hand...

Kezzi
09-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Don't get me wrong: Detmold might be the most beautiful city in the county of Ostwestfalen-Lippe but this is not a post for the most beautiful cities in the world :D
:p

Still, Amsterdam is beautiful, it's not called the Venice of the North for nothing :hearts:

I think it's called Venice of the North because of the canals, not because it's just as beautiful. :p

Yeah, it does.

Björki
09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
isn't Venice of the North Stockholm? :confused: :hearts:

Castafiore
09-22-2011, 11:59 AM
More than one place is called the Venice of the North, though.
Like kezzi says, it has more to do with canals (and/or rivers) running through it than anything else.

Brugge has that "Venice of the North" label as well.

JolánGagó
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Saint Petersburg is also "Venice of the North"... there are hundreds of "Venice of the North", half of Central and Northern European towns with a well call itself "Venice of the North".

Envy fungus galore.

zeleni
09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
^^ Sukit, Brugge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIWPyAqVFKs)

Navratil
09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Saint Petersburg is also "Venice of the North"... there are hundreds of "Venice of the North", half of Central and Northern European towns with a well call itself "Venice of the North".

Envy fungus galore.

Yeah! That's true. Seems like they consider Venice as the most beautiful city ;)

But even American cities do that. Fort Lauderdale (Fl.) is known as "Venice of America" :eek:

http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/about.htm

arm
09-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Envy fungus galore.

They also call Stockholm the venice of the north. :p :lol:

JeffCandoi
09-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Rio, Curitiba and Buenos Aires are fantastics