Rig Builders Unite! Custom PC's [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rig Builders Unite! Custom PC's

Seingeist
08-09-2011, 04:55 AM
Hello all! I am extremely curious to know who among you (if anyone) has built his/her own custom desktop PC! Obviously, this is an extremely niche thread that will apply to very few.

Describe your machine and the reasons that you built it! Additionally, I would love to hear which country you're from and where you got your components! Please share pictures and any other additional information that you would like as well!

I thoroughly enjoy PC gaming and thought that it would be rewarding to build my own computer. My current system is several years old now and consists of the following:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (Asus)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
RAM: 4 GB DDR2-800(Can't remember brand now)
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 600W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 300GB
ODD: Asus DVD Burner
Sound: Creative Audigy SE
Case: Cooler Master Centurion V

It has treated me very well and can still play most games at enjoyable settings. However, I am on the verge of a brand new build, albeit gradual. I have purchased an Intel i7 2600K (got an amazing deal from Intel since I work at a major retail outlet that sells computers), 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, 60GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot drive), Antec 520W PSU, and am torn about the Video Card.

It's between HD 6870 (excellent price/performance ratio) and 560 Ti (slightly better performance for moderately higher price). I'm leaning towards the former.

I purchase 95% of my components from an amazing website called Newegg (http://newegg.com), and the rest I get from Amazon. I'm in America, as you've probably surmised.

SO:

If this applies at all to you and does not bore you to death, please jump in and share your own thoughts and build! And if you're from Sweden, send me a Fractal Designs case! ;)

Nekromanta
08-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Seingeist I'm a PC gamer, a good one at that, listen, I posted this before...
The problem what console gamers can't see is that developers like IW are ****** them in the butt. Like they took out leaning from MW 2 and console (I mean on PC console)so people can't admin servers properly, they want to take everything out of the user's hands. The intelligent user's response is this: Ok then I'll pirate your stupid software and not even because I like it but because you're a nerdy money-hungry c*nt.

As I mentioned in some previous post a good shooter (or any kind of) gamer takes everything in his hand like I mentioned in that previous post we (the users) took everything in our hands in SoF2. We have self-made anti-cheat, exciting mods, even if Raven stopped server-support, we've built out our own system. We're totally independent now. And our game (SoF2) owns retarded CoD-with-sloppy gameplay.

Now this is intelligent shooter gameplay . Watch and learn little pig.

SoF2 supporting both 1st and 3rd person view. The most intelligent gameplay with tactical leaning, knife throws and all that.

SoF2 Clanwar Infiltration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5XCfbJXqY4)

this was my original post about SoF2 btw

I also have 3 days to teach you Jedi Outcast / Jedi Academy, you can find torrents anywhere... Can teach you some q3 cvars and crap like that. Jedi Outcast/academy? Best PC gaming ever no need to buy CD key either. I can make server and teach you the special moves and such, also goes for any other poster..... PM me when you're ready...

Nekromanta
08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Also for Jedi Outcast dl the 104 patch, for Academy 101 patch, then we can talk business. If you do this you will not regret it...

Seingeist
08-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi Seingeist I'm a PC gamer, a good one at that, listen, I posted this before...

I also have 3 days to teach you Jedi Outcast / Jedi Academy, you can find torrents anywhere... Can teach you some q3 cvars and crap like that. Jedi Outcast/academy? Best PC gaming ever no need to buy CD key either. I can make server and teach you the special moves and such, also goes for any other poster..... PM me when you're ready...

I appreciate the response and the generous offer, but it's off-topic (in spite of the fact that these are most likely the only responses that this thread will receive).

If you have built (or would like to build) your own computer, please share any thoughts, comments, questions, or details! Otherwise, discussions of this nature are better left to the gaming thread (or a different thread entirely).

Quick OT reply nevertheless: I played Jedi Outcast/Academy years ago. Good games, to be sure, but I have long since moved on to more modern offerings, such as Dragon Age and Battlefield Bad Company 2. If you're a Star Wars fanatic, I would recommend shifting your attention to Old Republic, which will be coming out later this year.

Nekromanta
08-10-2011, 12:51 AM
I appreciate the response and the generous offer, but it's off-topic (in spite of the fact that these are most likely the only responses that this thread will receive).

If you have built (or would like to build) your own computer, please share any thoughts, comments, questions, or details! Otherwise, discussions of this nature are better left to the gaming thread (or a different thread entirely).

Quick OT reply nevertheless: I played Jedi Outcast/Academy years ago. Good games, to be sure, but I have long since moved on to more modern offerings, such as Dragon Age and Battlefield Bad Company 2. If you're a Star Wars fanatic, I would recommend shifting your attention to Old Republic, which will be coming out later this year.

BAttlefield BC 2? that go in the tube with good graphics? What's PC gaming about that? And Old REpublic? Seriosly, PC Gaming is about precise dragging and such, looks like we have different ideas of PC gaming---

Nekromanta
08-10-2011, 12:59 AM
DRagon a age is an RPg......looks like you prefer playing alone???:confused:

cobalt60
08-10-2011, 02:15 AM
well damn; number 1 son just ordered his built to specs laptop ( all the bells and whistles a gaming subaru car fanatic soon to be in college engineering freshman wants). And although I paid for it, I am across the country on vaca so can't ask him for the specs. But I will;) At some point more becuase I want to understand wth I paid for;)

Lee
08-10-2011, 03:32 AM
I have one at home. It is the 2nd one that hubby built for our son but it has been a few years old. He got most of the parts from newegg too. I only know the CPU is from Intel and graphic card from Nvidia. We always have the latest version of Window for OS. Because of work, hubby has an account with Microsoft that license him to use all softwares from MS.

Seingeist
08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
well damn; number 1 son just ordered his built to specs laptop ( all the bells and whistles a gaming subaru car fanatic soon to be in college engineering freshman wants). And although I paid for it, I am across the country on vaca so can't ask him for the specs. But I will;) At some point more becuase I want to understand wth I paid for;)

:lol: You're spoiling him rotten! But I'd love to hear about it and I'd be more than happy to tell you precisely what you paid for. ;)

I have one at home. It is the 2nd one that hubby built for our son but it has been a few years old. He got most of the parts from newegg too. I only know the CPU is from Intel and graphic card from Nvidia. We always have the latest version of Window for OS. Because of work, hubby has an account with Microsoft that license him to use all softwares from MS.

Getting free software from MS is a huge perk; instant ~$100 savings on any new build (unless one prefers to fool about with Linux). He's lucky. What's his job? (Generally, not specifically - I am not intending to invade his privacy). :)

Lee
08-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Getting free software from MS is a huge perk; instant ~$100 savings on any new build (unless one prefers to fool about with Linux). He's lucky. What's his job? (Generally, not specifically - I am not intending to invade his privacy). :)

Works for a software company. Not free softwares from MS as the annual fee is not cheap for the account but his company pays for it. He works from home and his company is not paying the electricity, office space, phone line and internet connection so at least we get a little back :p

Nekromanta
08-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Anyway, this is not against you Seingeist but I got disappointed once again... It's not about you but about self-alleged PC gamers in general.... They come to forums, put their Rig specs in their ava then it turns out all they're after is graphics... BFBC2 is a console game, no leanings, simple shit gameplay, no tactics... And Dragon Age is good but it's an RPG... old school PC gamers were all about gameplay and logic, didn't care about lags even when the nets were shit, I was expecting something like "hell yeah buddy tell me server name and were's gonna have some oldschool fun..." Anyway, those are just the expectations of an oldschool PC gamer... Impossible to recruit new members for oldschool PC games...

Ps: Linux is for hacking, Windows is for gaming...
I have both on my Comp...

barbadosan
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Seingest, I've built my own PC's for about 14 years now, so I'm no novice (I also built systems for other people as part of how I made a living for a few years). Right now my box is nothing to write home about - at least for me it isn't cos I've fallen behind the curve somewhat in the last 2 years. Hopefully by October I can hold my head up again with a pi7 and of course I'm hoping by then the sweet spot on the faster cpu's will be a little higher on the scale.

I too have used newegg from time to time (send money to a friend who orders and then sends); but I've also used quite a number of different options from pricewatch.com

Nekromanta
08-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Right now my box is nothing to write home about

Nothing to write home about? It's so ez to ice anybody or any php/vBulletin board even from a Pentium 2... anyway, have a nice time posing guys.... Pc Gamers at their finest... Maybe if you wanna really improve, I'm gonna post you some links of Russian and Arabic communities in PMs for you, however, you're not gonna survive there with posing alone..., guess I will be available in 2 months, until then cya, have funnn and learn.....

barbadosan
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Nothing to write home about? It's so ez to ice anybody or any php/vBulletin board even from a Pentium 2... anyway, have a nice time posing guys.... Pc Gamers at their finest... Maybe if you wanna really improve, I'm gonna post you some links of Russian and Arabic communities in PMs for you, however, you're not gonna survive there with posing alone..., guess I will be available in 2 months, until then cya, have funnn and learn.....

No I wouldn't describe myself as a gamer - lol. When you drown in the walkthrough to something like Black $ White (some years ago), then you know it's time to stick to casual games :D, but a bit of a tech, yes, I'll own up to that

barbadosan
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Just thought you guys might have to look at a site of an IRC friend of mine, Envador, who's into modding - well started back after a hiatus after his daughter was born -- RL does tend to get in the way of fun things, doesn't it? :D

http://www.envador.com/

He's got pics and the history behind most of his mods. My favourites are still the early ones, the PVC II, the barbeque one, the guitar, and - oh yes - the toilet pc

barbadosan
08-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Hello all! My current system is several years old now and consists of the following:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (Asus)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
RAM: 4 GB DDR2-800(Can't remember brand now)
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 600W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 300GB
ODD: Asus DVD Burner
Sound: Creative Audigy SE
Case: Cooler Master Centurion V

It has treated me very well and can still play most games at enjoyable settings. However, I am on the verge of a brand new build, albeit gradual. I have purchased an Intel i7 2600K (got an amazing deal from Intel since I work at a major retail outlet that sells computers), 8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600, 60GB Crucial M4 SSD (boot drive), Antec 520W PSU, and am torn about the Video Card.

It's between HD 6870 (excellent price/performance ratio) and 560 Ti (slightly better performance for moderately higher price). I'm leaning towards the former.

I too am a Gigabyte person - personal pref over Asus, Seagate Barracuda's also my choice of HD's.. have 1 TB, and 2 500's, and curiously enough my last sound card was also the Audigy SE; it got zapped along with vid card, mobo and PSU last year :( We had a storm affect us here; I lived then in an area that tended to be moist anyhow, and 4 days of drenching rain later with system unpowered cos of electricity cut, muggins here didn't think to run the hairdryer over the system, and when I powered up - ZAP! moisture in PSU and on mobo, so I had to scramble for a mobo which I had to get here, which doesn't give many choices, so now using an S-series mobo (grr) - GA-G41M-S2L which was not a great replacement for my former board which was an R series, so supported AHCI, and had 6 SATA slots; current board only has 4

I like your switch to Antec PSU, but why lower W than the one you have now; would have thought you'd be going higher? Re the choice of vid cards, I tend to go ATI for gaming; for DTP, high end multimedia and architectural design, nVidia.

Seingeist
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
I too am a Gigabyte person - personal pref over Asus, Seagate Barracuda's also my choice of HD's.. have 1 TB, and 2 500's, and curiously enough my last sound card was also the Audigy SE; it got zapped along with vid card, mobo and PSU last year :( We had a storm affect us here; I lived then in an area that tended to be moist anyhow, and 4 days of drenching rain later with system unpowered cos of electricity cut, muggins here didn't think to run the hairdryer over the system, and when I powered up - ZAP! moisture in PSU and on mobo, so I had to scramble for a mobo which I had to get here, which doesn't give many choices, so now using an S-series mobo (grr) - GA-G41M-S2L which was not a great replacement for my former board which was an R series, so supported AHCI, and had 6 SATA slots; current board only has 4

I like your switch to Antec PSU, but why lower W than the one you have now; would have thought you'd be going higher? Re the choice of vid cards, I tend to go ATI for gaming; for DTP, high end multimedia and architectural design, nVidia.

Wow, Barbadosan's stock goes up again! :yeah:

Yeah, my first Asus board was a less-than-stellar experience, and the Gigabyte has been completely solid, but I'm probably going to give Asus another shot for the new system (P8Z68-V LE) since it seems to match my needs perfectly. Hope I don't get burned. :)

I'd get another Barracuda in a heartbeat but there's a 7200 64MB Cache 1.5TB Hitachi HDD selling for 65 USD on newegg that's hard to pass up.

PC Power and Cooling is (or I should say "was") actually a fantastic PSU brand, but I don't know how well they were known outside of the US, and eventually they were bought out by OCZ anyway. Going to less Wattage because I got a good deal on the PSU (Newegg "shell shocker" :)) and I won't be needing more than that (520). (Indeed, the 600W originally replaced a perfectly fine Thermaltake 430W; I was attempting to fix a POST instability issue that turned out to be mobo-related (my aforementioned ASUS experience)). 520W exceeds my system's minimum power requirements and I don't plan to do any serious over-clocking, SLI/Crossfire, or large RAID arrays.

That's terrible about your PC having gotten fried. I would be crushed. :sad:

ATI has made some fantastic gaming cards this generation, absolutely. The 560 Ti, however, has been putting up some impressive benchmarks across a wide range of games, and it's making it very difficult for me to make a final decision.

I'd love to hear a bit more about your supplemental income via system-building, if you wouldn't mind. I have thought about doing something very similar myself, but I don't know where to start. Did you do any advertising, or just rely on word of mouth? How did you determine the price for any given build?
Good to hear from you!

barbadosan
08-12-2011, 05:45 AM
seingest:

I didn't do any advertising, but I live on a small island, so word of mouth works easily. That might not necessarily work if you live in a humongously large city, but even then, you live in a neighbourhood, so might be a good place to start.

I've always found pricing difficult, but generally if you check the computer shops around you and find out the ballpark figure they charge, and then charge a few dollars under that, you ought to be ok. Would be useful though if you had a couple of people who did similar stuff to run things by - amazing the kind of roadbumps you can run into when setting up the odd system... always useful to have another head or another pair of eyes. That was one of the really good things about running a channel of techies on IRC - between the dabblers, the uni students and working techs, there was always a useful resource around if I ran into trouble.

Also you might have to go the route of a couple of freebies first - friends, co-workers or family.. then use them as your word-of-mouth spreaders.. hehe

Back to system: I had actually planned last time I upgraded to go for a water cooling system, and then had dropped back on the line of least resistance. This time, come hook or crook, I'm going to set it up.

That's a really good price on the HD - when I think of what I've paid for hardware - including drives. Back in -- between 1998 and 2000 I think, I bought a Seagate Barracuda SCSI - all of 2 GB, for USD 1400.00, which is 2800.00 dollars our money. You know how many hard drives of huge capacity I could get for that price now!!!!lol

I hope the Asus mobo works out well for you.

cobalt60
08-12-2011, 07:17 PM
:lol: You're spoiling him rotten! But I'd love to hear about it and I'd be more than happy to tell you precisely what you paid for. ;)

Well he is a great kid and the laptop is for school so..............yep I pay for it. And in the long run he actually makes good purchases. We set up a college fund the year he was born and so he thinks of it as "his" money and hates spending it :lol: The fund has done well so ...............;) Thanks though I will definitely put the specs up when I get home. Would love to hear someone else's take on the laptop since teens are know it alls:p

Seingeist
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I thought that I would update with the new build and post some pictures. I've been running it for a couple weeks now and I could not be more pleased. It's fast and beautiful, and I got decent bargains on nearly all of the components. :yeah:

Here's the configuration:

Mobo: ASrock Z68 Pro 3
CPU: Intel Core 17 2600K
GPU: ASUS ENGTX 560 TI DCII TOP
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1600
SSD: Crucial M4 64GB (boot drive)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM (storage)
ODD: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD burner
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 520W Continuous power
Sound: ASUS Xonar DG
Case: Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B (mid-tower)

...and the pictures.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/thartmann85/IMG_1023.jpg

A very sleek, clean case. An aesthetic that I greatly prefer to bizarre shapes and colors, LED's all over the place, and side panel windows.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/thartmann85/IMG_1022.jpg

Note the gorgeous brushed aluminum finish. Lian Li makes fantastic cases. This one happens to be quite a bit more lightweight than many because the exterior panels are all aluminum (whereas the inner frame is steel). Not as light as an all-aluminum case, but that is outside my budget. :)

You can also see the two 80mm intake fans through the grate in the front. The front panel pops off easily to allow access to the snap-off dust filters over the fans. Case power, reset, and I/O ports are on the top.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/thartmann85/IMG_1027.jpg

Here is an overall view of the inside of the case. I will talk more about the individual components in some of the more close-up shots.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/thartmann85/IMG_1032.jpg

CPU has stock heatsink and fan and is running at stock speed (3.4 Ghz). The two sticks of ram are in dual-channel configuration, and I aligned them a bit away from the CPU for better heat dissipation. The "Virtu" that you see advertised above the CPU fan and on the Video input refers to software that can take advantage of the built-in video processing of Intel's Core i5 and i7 CPU's along with a discrete GPU at the same time. It switches the video processing load to the CPU when it is lighter, and to the GPU when it is heavier (during games, for example).

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/thartmann85/IMG_1031.jpg

Here's a look at the beastly GTX 560 Ti from the underside. ASUS provided an excellent heatsink and fan, which allows the card to run quite cool at its factory overclock (900 Mhz). It is very sturdy and well-made, and it has a central support brace to prevent it from bowing over time. You can also see the Xonar DG sound card from the side here, with the front panel audio connectors hooked into it (love that feature). Note the two PCI slots (one occupied by the Xonar), three PCI-E x1 (one covered up by the video card, as often happens), and six SATA ports, two of which are the newer SATA III (6.0 GB/s). This motherboard has excellent features for the price (also has 2 USB 3.0).

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/thartmann85/IMG_1036.jpg

This is a picture to show off the excellent cable management that this case allows. You're looking at all of them (minus a tiny fan cable or two). Bear in mind that this is a non-modular PSU, so you have to put all of the cables somewhere :). As you can see at the top, they're all routed behind the (removable) motherboard tray. This keeps everything extremely clean and maximizes airflow. The HDD cage is oriented so that the connections on the disk drives face the motherboard side of the case, further allowing for the cables to be unobtrusively routed. You can see the Seagate HDD at the top of the cage and the Crucial SSD in a 3.5-inch bay converter below. I stored the excess Molex connectors at the very bottom.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y302/thartmann85/IMG_1034.jpg

Just a parting shot of my beautiful new lover. Any thoughts, comments, and queries are welcome. :)